Royal Caribbean World Cruise

24 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
274 Day cruise taking in 60 countries. All unlimited food and drinks included (food is great on RC), free internet, laundry done, room cleaned of course, ocean view suite with balcony. Casino. Free shows nightly, latest movies etc.

Only $58,000 per person. ($220.00 per day)

If you have that sort of nest-egg plus more, would that be something you would consider doing in early retirement? You could always plan on expiring a little earlier. Lol.

What a way to go out, after you had sampled most of the world.
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    ocean view suite with balcony.
    As long as the above is included, I sure would. Actually quite a good deal - with a quality company.

    You would need back up funds, of course for on land meals, tours, purchases, tips...but for someone who has the freedom to do it, would be a great adventure.


    Note: From what I've heard, the food is so good on RC - you might come back resembling a porker...
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world -
    but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      As long as the above is included, I sure would. Actually quite a good deal - with a quality company.

      You would need back up funds, of course for on land meals, tours, purchases, tips...but for someone who has the freedom to do it, would be a great adventure.


      Note: From what I've heard, the food is so good on RC - you might come back resembling a porker...
      I think I would have to do the running circuit of the ship every day. Even the excursions involve some walking. However, the food availability would be tempting, since you could sit down in the restaurant and order 2 or more portions of everything (not a problem for some) and visit the buffet and late night food places whenever you wanted,

      I think that the excursions are extra so would need money for that, or just get off and have a walk around on dry land. You could do non ship organized tours but although you pay extra for ship organized ones they are guaranteed that if late back, the ship does not depart without you.

      Normally their cruise's are for double occupancy per cabin so not sure if it applies here?

      Here's the video I saw from the Travel Company I saw: (Harr's travel) They do a lot of ship tours on You Tube. Fascinating to watch. https://youtu.be/AeXUKTmnhgk

      Oh, got a bit wrong, Ocean view, 58k, with balcony, 71k. What's 13 grand, lol.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    I wouldn't do it if you paid me $220 a day.

    Stuck in a floating hotel with the same guests
    Unchanging view at sea
    Sample the world? You mean dozens of lightning stops at tourist destinations
    Not enough time to explore local cultures or habitats
    No change of seasons
    No dogs
    No wildlife
    No trees
    No long walks in the woods
    No sourcing and preparing of own food
    No informal dinners or meet-ups with friends
    No Amazon deliveries (eg for new book releases)
    And, of course...
    Spending 274 days with the kind of people who go on cruises


    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681957].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      I wouldn't do it if you paid me $220 a day.

      Stuck in a floating hotel with the same guests
      Unchanging view at sea
      Sample the world? You mean dozens of lightning stops at tourist destinations
      Not enough time to explore local cultures or habitats
      No change of seasons
      No dogs
      No wildlife
      No trees
      No long walks in the woods
      No sourcing and preparing of own food
      No informal dinners or meet-ups with friends
      No Amazon deliveries (eg for new book releases)
      And, of course...
      Spending 274 days with the kind of people who go on cruises


      All depends on what you want from life of course, ever been on a cruise for a week or two?

      Added: Been on 5 Royal Caribbean 7 day cruises, never wanted to get off, lol.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681959].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        All depends on what you want from life of course, ever been on a cruise for a week or two?
        I've never liked the idea of cruises. I always thought they were designed for people who want to travel without leaving home.
        Signature
        TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681960].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
          Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

          I've never liked the idea of cruises. I always thought they were designed for people who want to travel without leaving home.
          Yes, understand that, it's an extended bit of luxury living because the ship is so large, it's like living in a small city but everything is all paid for. The most extraordinary thing about it is to wake up to a new destination every day or every other day, look out your window and balcony, and there it is. We went on a lot of excursions and got to see some key attractions. This, one, seems to indicate some overnight stays so a bit longer at each place.

          My ones were all Caribbean or other islands so you could see a lot within a day.

          As to it being a ship. Remarkably stable to live on. Never got sea sick. One time I saw the curtains sway once in the theater. Lol, that was it.

          Of course, I am also a Casino addict so would have to pace and limit myself there.
          Signature

          Marriage, For The Best Arguments

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681965].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      No Amazon deliveries (eg for new book releases)
      And, of course...
      Spending 274 days with the kind of people who go on cruises
      No new books to read? No.

      If it was 2 or 3 weeks, probably.

      My wife and I have talked about maybe going to Italy for a week. But that's it.

      274 days? Never.

      Frankly, in 10 days, everyone on board would love me, and think I was the funniest, kindest man they have ever met.

      In 6 months? I'd be boarding up the door to my cabin, and the other passengers would be outside with pitchforks and Tiki torches.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681962].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        No new books to read? No.

        If it was 2 or 3 weeks, probably.

        My wife and I have talked about maybe going to Italy for a week. But that's it.

        274 days? Never.

        Frankly, in 10 days, everyone on board would love me, and think I was the funniest, kindest man they have ever met.

        In 6 months? I'd be boarding up the door to my cabin, and the other passengers would be outside with pitchforks and Tiki torches.
        Of course you have to try it once, so different. The food would definitely do it for you. The ships have libraries and of course if you have a kindle or something similar, instant new books whenever you want them.

        People on cruises like that would be older so more our age group. Not so much partying in those circumstances. Well off travelers. Sitting on your private balcony with a drink, reading your kindle. Suit you sir.
        Signature

        Marriage, For The Best Arguments

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681967].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

          Of course you have to try it once, so different. The food would definitely do it for you. The ships have libraries and of course if you have a kindle or something similar, instant new books whenever you want them.

          People on cruises like that would be older so more our age group. Not so much partying in those circumstances. Well off travelers. Sitting on your private balcony with a drink, reading your kindle. Suit you sir.
          You don't understand. I don't want to escape my life. I have a really nice home I really like living in, a bed we have gotten used to, my wife makes me a great supper every evening, I have 2 cats that keep us entertained. And I have a vast library i can get lost in.

          It's really what I want. And I have it.

          I asked my wife if she would ever like to go camping. She said "Oh, you mean live like a homeless person? Yes...yes I would" And walked away, with me basking in her sarcasm.


          And...a very good hospital is almost throwing distance from our home. So, we're fine where we are.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681974].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            You don't understand. I don't want to escape my life. I have a really nice home I really like living in, a bed we have gotten used to, my wife makes me a great supper every evening, I have 2 cats that keep us entertained. And I have a vast library i can get lost in.

            It's really what I want. And I have it.

            I asked my wife if she would ever like to go camping. She said "Oh, you mean live like a homeless person? Yes...yes I would" And walked away, with me basking in her sarcasm.


            And...a very good hospital is almost throwing distance from our home. So, we're fine where we are.
            Translation: I am pampered enough as it is. I don't want to be more pampered.

            Yes, there are extras, comprehensive travel insurance for one.

            Perhaps just a 7 day one then, just so you can say you have done it. I'm sending over the tickets as we speak, 7 days out of Galveston, taking in 3 to 4 Caribbean Islands. Enjoy, lol.
            Signature

            Marriage, For The Best Arguments

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681978].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
              Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

              Translation: I am pampered enough as it is. I don't want to be more pampered.
              First, I know you're joking, so please take this in the best way possible.

              I don't want to be pampered. I would get no pleasure from others doing everything for me.

              My wife and I do things for each other, and it's that interplay, the giving to each other, that brings me happiness. Just letting others do all the work for us wouldn't bring me any joy at all. And I suspect after a day, my wife would feel the same way.

              In fact, my second greatest fear (after the fear of losing Cheryl) would be being old and so helpless that I have to depend on others for everything. If I were pampered, I'd feel worthless. And eventually helpless. A living hell.

              And hanging out with people that want to be pampered? I doubt I would enjoy that.
              Signature
              One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

              "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681981].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                First, I know you're joking, so please take this in the best way possible.

                I don't want to be pampered. I would get no pleasure from others doing everything for me.

                My wife and I do things for each other, and it's that interplay, the giving to each other, that brings me happiness. Just letting others do all the work for us wouldn't bring me any joy at all. And I suspect after a day, my wife would feel the same way.

                In fact, my second greatest fear (after the fear of losing Cheryl) would be being old and so helpless that I have to depend on others for everything. If I were pampered, I'd feel worthless. And eventually helpless. A living hell.

                And hanging out with people that want to be pampered? I doubt I would enjoy that.
                Well I'm going to have to change my pitch. Aside from the change of scenery and the therapeutic variety of experiences that will engorge your senses. Imagine this. A whole week of therapeutic sea air which will boost your appetite and bring you an unbridled gastronomic experience. An all week all you can eat buffet compromising a huge variety of fine foods from all over the world, Americana Italian, Asian etc, succulent juicy steaks, seafood, endless amounts of top quality fare and unlimited portions. Either casual serve yourself buffet style or top quality restaurant service

                And when they say, what would you like for your starters sir, you say, prawn cocktail, bring me three. Or say, well, a prawn cocktail, crab cocktail and a lobster bisque. And when they say, how would you like your steak done sir, you say, medium rare, two of them. And when it's time for desert, which one would you like sir? You say bring me all of them. Excellent choice sir says the waiter.

                I kid you not, you can do that. I have done it to some extent. two starters and two deserts. Unlimited bacon at breakfast too.
                Signature

                Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681998].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Odahh
                  Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                  Well I'm going to have to change my pitch.

                  And when they say, what would you like for your starters sir, you say, prawn cocktail, bring me three. Or say, well, a prawn cocktail, crab cocktail and a lobster bisque. And when they say, how would you like your steak done sir, you say, medium rare, two of them. And when it's time for desert, which one would you like sir? You say bring me all of them. Excellent choice sir says the waiter.

                  I kid you not, you can do that. I have done it to some extent. two starters and two deserts. Unlimited bacon at breakfast too.
                  I guess I'm just ghetto I mean I would do the expensive buffet occasionally and go after the sushi caviar and the lobster or expensive crab.

                  But every day I wouldn't fit through the doors in a few months.

                  The things that are great to do on occasion are best left for occasion unless you build a business around it. And can still enjoy it.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682004].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                  Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

                  Well I'm going to have to change my pitch. Aside from the change of scenery and the therapeutic variety of experiences that will engorge your senses.
                  You had me at "engorge"
                  Signature
                  One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                  "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682118].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
                    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                    You had me at "engorge"
                    Engorge and Gorge yourself. Yum
                    Signature

                    Marriage, For The Best Arguments

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682120].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Diego Aguirre
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      I wouldn't do it if you paid me $220 a day.

      Stuck in a floating hotel with the same guests
      Unchanging view at sea
      Sample the world? You mean dozens of lightning stops at tourist destinations
      Not enough time to explore local cultures or habitats
      No change of seasons
      No dogs
      No wildlife
      No trees
      No long walks in the woods
      No sourcing and preparing of own food
      No informal dinners or meet-ups with friends
      No Amazon deliveries (eg for new book releases)
      And, of course...
      Spending 274 days with the kind of people who go on cruises


      Hmm yeah, I see the point... Reminds me of the time I got an internet tool and I paid yearly because it was a better deal only to discover the first 5 days that the service sucked... and I was stuck with it for 51 more weeks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    I would rather live for eternity and be lit on fire anew everyday than spend 274 days on a floating germ bubble with professional cruisers.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681969].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      I would rather live for eternity and be lit on fire anew everyday than spend 274 days on a floating germ bubble with professional cruisers.

      "Well, .Dan said he would rather....."

      Your wife said to the arresting officer.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    No would get tired on the ship after a few days. Took a cruise to Nassau about 30 years ago. The trip there was fine, the extra day plus unloading was meh.

    If it was trip to Alaska for a week that would be fine. Anything after that would want to get home.

    Now if it was a All Inclusive to Playa Del Carmen Mexico for a few days sign me up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11681972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Serene Carmen
    274 days is a long time! I would get cabin fever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682010].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Serene Carmen View Post

      274 days is a long time! I would get cabin fever.
      Cabin fever is just going crazy from being in a confined space for too long, Like when you have to stay home due to the Covid rules. A ship is of great size and constant stops. Not a likely scenario.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682023].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        Cabin fever is just going crazy from being in a confined space for too long, Like when you have to stay home due to the Covid rules. A ship is of great size and constant stops. Not a likely scenario.
        If someone had a remote income and could spend part of the day working. If the where making more than enough to pay the ticket price I can see them doing it.

        When it goes from vacation to lifestyle . I would choose living on tropical beach resorts well before a year long cruise.

        Slow travelers can put quite a comfortable lifestyle together for under 2,000usd a month in much of the world
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682105].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Serene Carmen
        Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

        Cabin fever is just going crazy from being in a confined space for too long, Like when you have to stay home due to the Covid rules. A ship is of great size and constant stops. Not a likely scenario.
        I love being at home due to COVID rules (introverts dream), small cabin room, not so sure.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    274 Day cruise taking in 60 countries. All unlimited food and drinks included (food is great on RC), free internet, laundry done, room cleaned of course, ocean view suite with balcony. Casino. Free shows nightly, latest movies etc.

    Only $58,000 per person. ($220.00 per day)

    If you have that sort of nest-egg plus more, would that be something you would consider doing in early retirement? You could always plan on expiring a little earlier. Lol.

    What a way to go out, after you had sampled most of the world.

    hm.


    58 k to accompany corona-chan on her world tour as she entertains a bunch of old farts.

    Pass.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11682184].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics