Getting more and more difficult...

18 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
to keep working out and exercising. Some days it just takes a hell of an effort to get out there and put in the sweat.

I know it will pay in dividends when I get my annual checkup at the doctors, but sometimes I really feel like quitting.

Anyone else go through this.??

Robert


P.S. Thanks for putting up with my venting a little bit today. Kay, if you do not like this thread feel free to nuke it as I understand there is really no redeeming value in it.
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    This is one of those topics that many here face. I just returned from a workout about an hour ago.

    I work out at a gym 3X a week and the trick to making sure I show up is I'm using a trainer. It is 'small group' training - just four of us with the trainer and we motivate each other. Maybe you are working out too often or need to change the routine?

    I like my gym (Anytime Fitness) and I like the trainer and I like the people I work out with....those 'likes' make me show up every time.

    If you find yourself making excuses and skipping workouts - I'd suggest either getting a trainer or setting up scheduled workouts with a couple friends who also exercise. I keep doing it because I have a set schedule....if I worked out 'when I felt like it' - it wouldn't get done.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
    ***
    The nice thing about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing,
    someone else does.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      This is one of those topics that many here face. I just returned from a workout about an hour ago.

      I work out at a gym 3X a week and the trick to making sure I show up is I'm using a trainer. It is 'small group' training - just four of us with the trainer and we motivate each other. Maybe you are working out too often or need to change the routine?

      I like my gym (Anytime Fitness) and I like the trainer and I like the people I work out with....those 'likes' make me show up every time.

      If you find yourself making excuses and skipping workouts - I'd suggest either getting a trainer or setting up scheduled workouts with a couple friends who also exercise. I keep doing it because I have a set schedule....if I worked out 'when I felt like it' - it wouldn't get done.
      Just wanted to quote this because there are some gold nuggets in it.
      Signature

      Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Are you working out in a way where you feel noticeably better on days you work out and feel noticeably worse if you miss a few days.

    You could invest in an at home sauna and or rowing machine or whatever type of at home equipment it is easier for you to use.

    I have taken off close to 50 pounds sense the beginning of June with time restricted feeding only eating within 4-6 hours a day but I also stopped drinking and have cut out 90 percent of my added sugar. Which brought my a1c from 7.6 to 5.5 . Without extra exercise just a few miles of walking over the course of the day.

    So I'd suggest just finding more enjoyable ways to work out which have day to day pay off and in how they make you feel better. There are plenty of options. I'm biased in that the pay off should be how you feel after you work ou through the day and not the lab results from one visit to the doctor a year.

    Explore find what works best for you until it doesn't anymore and you need a new exercise routine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737472].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      Are you working out in a way where you feel noticeably better on days you work out and feel noticeably worse if you miss a few days.
      Oh gawd YES !! This is the main reason I do it. It definitely is an addiction I have for the endorphin rush I get the rest of the day after exercising.

      It's quite real and is no less addictive than alcohol is to an alcoholic.
      Signature

      Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737473].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    to keep working out and exercising. Some days it just takes a hell of an effort to get out there and put in the sweat.

    I know it will pay in dividends when I get my annual checkup at the doctors, but sometimes I really feel like quitting.

    Anyone else go through this.??

    Robert


    P.S. Thanks for putting up with my venting a little bit today. Kay, if you do not like this thread feel free to nuke it as I understand there is really no redeeming value in it.
    Kay had the key, do it with someone else. That will force you to show up and begin.

    Every day, my wife exercises and then gets on the treadmill for a walk (or we go for a walk outside). I feel like a worthless lump if I don't exercise when she does.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737482].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      Kay had the key, do it with someone else. That will force you to show up and begin.

      Every day, my wife exercises and then gets on the treadmill for a walk (or we go for a walk outside). I feel like a worthless lump if I don't exercise when she does.
      Go with the feeling!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    to keep working out and exercising. Some days it just takes a hell of an effort to get out there and put in the sweat.

    I know it will pay in dividends when I get my annual checkup at the doctors, but sometimes I really feel like quitting.

    Anyone else go through this.??

    Robert


    P.S. Thanks for putting up with my venting a little bit today. Kay, if you do not like this thread feel free to nuke it as I understand there is really no redeeming value in it.
    Ever considered that you don't need to exercise with such veracity. A good walk say three times a week should suffice and cut back on the sugar.
    Signature

    Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737489].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

      Ever considered that you don't need to exercise with such veracity. A good walk say three times a week should suffice and cut back on the sugar.
      Yeah cutting back on sugar and carbs would definitely help me. Thanks Mark
      Signature

      Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737490].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Odahh
        Originally Posted by discrat View Post

        Yeah cutting back on sugar and carbs would definitely help me. Thanks Mark
        Sugar or carbs have their place just not from the time we wake up to just before bed . I recently learned about metabolic flexibility. The bodies ability to use sugar and fat for fuel. And many people have given their body a constant supply of sugar so there bodies don't switch to burning fat when there is no sugar present.

        Unless you start restricting the amount of time in a you consume rapidly absorbed carbs but you have to research and figure out what you will do and maintain.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    Speaking about this problem with most people in general...

    usually, when someone tries to do too much too quickly, they burn out.

    A lot of times people will do nothing and then all of a sudden want to do everything...

    they want to go from little league to the Olympics in a month.

    It very seldom ever works.

    The best strategy is to set a goal that is easy. "I will walk for 15 minutes a day." etc...

    Setting unrealistic goals only add stress to an already stressed-out situation.

    When the goal is easy, it's less stressful...and almost always in the long run you find yourself doing more than you planned. When you do more than you planned your mind is telling you that you're making progress in things you didn't expect.

    What many don't realize is that the goal they are trying to achieve is not the reward.

    The journey between where you are and the goal is the reward. The journey will change your thinking, change your outlook, and usually change the way you think about your final goal.

    Almost always when someone sets a goal to change their body and life, once they reach that goal it is always about the journey that they are the proudest of and the way that the journey changed their life...not the final outcome.

    I'm not saying this all applies to you...

    I'm speaking mostly after observing others and also admitting the way I am about things sometimes...it's do nothing or do something with the feeling that it is urgent I catch up because I'm lagging behind...and need to get there yesterday.

    Even the smallest amount of effort can lead to the biggest achievements over time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Max

    I agree. The amount of effort that can easily be maintained. Over a long period of time.

    If I run I get terrible knee pain and with the arthritis in my hands I can't grip anything in my hands I can't safely lift weights. So I'm left with as much walking as I can manage in a day.

    Now the funky thing I find myself doing and I have never heard this talked about. Is making excuses for the good behavior. Or to not do that not so good behavior. I have been loosing 2-4 pounds a week for the past 2-3 months and I have had to learn to avoid and make excuses not to go where there is plenty of food available or drink more than 2-3 sodas in a week. And as much as I want to drink I have lots of excuses not to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737563].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author max5ty
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      Max

      I agree. The amount of effort that can easily be maintained. Over a long period of time.

      If I run I get terrible knee pain and with the arthritis in my hands I can't grip anything in my hands I can't safely lift weights. So I'm left with as much walking as I can manage in a day.

      Now the funky thing I find myself doing and I have never heard this talked about. Is making excuses for the good behavior. Or to not do that not so good behavior. I have been loosing 2-4 pounds a week for the past 2-3 months and I have had to learn to avoid and make excuses not to go where there is plenty of food available or drink more than 2-3 sodas in a week. And as much as I want to drink I have lots of excuses not to.
      It sounds like you're being very sensible about your program.

      When I was about 14 I started "pumping Iron" because I was skinny with big ears and looked like a dork...maybe I still do depending on who you ask.

      Anyways, I read every edition of Ironman (which was big at the time) and had a weight bench with those cheap cement filled weights in the garage.

      At 16, and after a couple years of pumping massive weights (I thought), I was working in a buffet in the mall. Once a month a "CB" club would meet...those were the days when cb's were a big thing...

      anyways at one event I was working, a guy at a table behind the one I was bussing said "hey slim"...

      I was devastated. 2 years of pumping iron and thinking I looked like a huge mammoth bodybuilder. How dare he say that? And then to make it worse, his wife didn't even correct him. Needless to say, his comment almost wrecked my life at 16.

      I actually continued working out and in my 20s wrote my first book on how to bulk up in 30 days. You probably never heard of it...I sold like 3 copies to my family.

      Over the years I came to the conclusion that I would never be a huge bodybuilder.

      I started running and settled on the Men's Health look.

      Everybody at some point in their life comes to the realization that they're not as young as they used to be...

      for me, it was about 60.

      I started to realize that how I see myself is not the same as others see me.

      I still run everyday. But now it's more of a stress reliever...

      sorry for rambling on...

      this post just brought back some memories.

      Congratulations on doing what you should do and making progress!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    sometimes I really feel like quitting.
    That's the thing, Robert. You can quit - any time you want. But you don't - because this is something you do for YOU - and you don't want to quit on yourself.

    I don't exercise for weight loss - If I do gain 5 lbs I can lose it in a couple weeks on a high protein, low carb diet. I exercise to gain strength and flexibility and maintain balance.

    At some point in our lives, mean old Mr Gravity wins....I plan to put that off as long as possible.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
    ***
    The nice thing about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing,
    someone else does.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      That's the thing, Robert. You can quit - any time you want. But you don't - because this is something you do for YOU - and you don't want to quit on yourself.
      So true, Kay. There is just too much "payoff" I get from exercising than to just quit. I am 55 and plan on doing it as long as the good Lord allows me.
      Signature

      Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    I am taking Monday as my only day off to recharge my batteries. My food consumption will be light.


    I must say it feels good to take a break. But even saying that I do see a noticeably change in my mood. Just slightly as I do not feel as rejuvenated and do not have the endorphin rush I get when I do exercise.
    Signature

    Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737859].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      I am taking Monday as my only day off to recharge my batteries. My food consumption will be light.


      I must say it feels good to take a break. But even saying that I do see a noticeably change in my mood. Just slightly as I do not feel as rejuvenated and do not have the endorphin rush I get when I do exercise.
      It's endorphins and a little testosterone that you miss.

      The fact that you don't feel as rejuvenated when you miss just one day mean that you have achieved some level of fitness. It's your body trying to get back to stasis.

      And I speak from experience, the older you are, the harder it is to start back up again exercising, and improving your conditioning.

      When you get to be my age, your body wants to get weaker, fatter, and slow down. I noticed this at about your age, and it gets worse as you age.

      My wife is 75 now. She works out every day. With weights and then walks for 45 minutes. It's her way of saying "F$^#K you" to aging. I'm so proud of her, as I am proud of you keeping at it.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737866].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discrat
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        It's her way of saying "F$^#K you" to aging. I'm so proud of her, as I am proud of you keeping at it.
        Thank you my friend, that means a lot coming from you.
        And tell Cheryl to keep up the great effort


        Happy Holidays
        Signature

        Nothing to see here including a Sig so just move on :)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11738001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Claude - Your wife is my online friend, once removed.... She and I would get along great -
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
    ***
    The nice thing about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing,
    someone else does.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11737867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ilbeygulmez
    Banned
    If you're dealing with inconsistency going to the gym, it might be because of your lack of testosterone, you might want to boost it trying various supplements.
    I would recommend the product in the following link:
    https://amzn.to/3jNIRft
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11740785].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics