A Very Strange Internet Problem

22 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Happened yesterday.

I have router/modem centrally located and my Condo is only 640 by 480 ft. Same room in with my router is a desktop PC.

Permanently open door to the bedroom about six feet away from the Comcast router/modem, just inside the door is a tv with a Navidia Shield attached, Also attached is a Mini Pc by Beelink. About 3.30pm the Shield lost internet, or more precisely, up and down, on or off changing every minute. It's a bit flaky anyway. But, the two Alexa boxes were both working. Also had good internet on the living room PC?

Tried the Beelink, same symptoms of the Shield, off and on. Tried a long Lan lead to the Beelink from the modem/router, same thing?

Also had the VPN, IP Vanish on the living room PC, the Beelink and the Shield. Whether the net was up or not. None of them would connect to the IP Vanish servers? Oh, might add I had a VR Quest 3 headset in the bedroom, worked perfectly!

This went on for hours. Finally got a tech from Comcast, a knowledgeable young lady in their Thailand Call center, listened to my complete rundown. She was pretty perplexed like I was. She escalated the problem to a higher tier and said they would work on it and call me in the morning as it was passed 9.pm I turned on the Shield and tv at about 4am, all was back to normal, same with the Beelink. All also connected to IP Vanishes servers.

Automated call in the morning, is the problem fixed or would I like a callout? Checked again via the Shield, all was well.

Very strange. Had Comcast for years and very reliable. Had the latest router/modem for about a year. All things said against Comcast, they certainly came through for me this time.

And as an added bonus, the internet is running better than it was before, much more responsive and snappy.
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    Happened yesterday.

    I have router/modem centrally located and my Condo is only 640 by 480 ft. Same room in with my router is a desktop PC.

    Permanently open door to the bedroom about six feet away from the Comcast router/modem, just inside the door is a tv with a Navidia Shield attached, Also attached is a Mini Pc by Beelink. About 3.30pm the Shield lost internet, or more precisely, up and down, on or off changing every minute. It's a bit flaky anyway. But, the two Alexa boxes were both working. Also had good internet on the living room PC?

    Tried the Beelink, same symptoms of the Shield, off and on. Tried a long Lan lead to the Beelink from the modem/router, same thing?

    Also had the VPN, IP Vanish on the living room PC, the Beelink and the Shield. Whether the net was up or not. None of them would connect to the IP Vanish servers? Oh, might add I had a VR Quest 3 headset in the bedroom, worked perfectly!

    This went on for hours. Finally got a tech from Comcast, a knowledgeable young lady in their Thailand Call center, listened to my complete rundown. She was pretty perplexed like I was. She escalated the problem to a higher tier and said they would work on it and call me in the morning as it was passed 9.pm I turned on the Shield and tv at about 4pm, all was back to normal, same with the Beelink. All also connected to IP Vanishes servers.

    Automated call in the morning, is the problem fixed or would I like a callout? Checked again via the Shield, all was well.

    Very strange. Had Comcast for years and very reliable. Had the latest router/modem for about a year. All things said against Comcast, they certainly came through for me this time.

    And as an added bonus, the internet is running better than it was before, much more responsive and snappy.

    You have a very strange internet problem because you have a
    convoluted internet setup. A person shouldn't need an electrical
    engineering degree to comprehend your posts.

    Get your internet from ATT or somewhere like a normal person.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    A person shouldn't need an electrical
    engineering degree to comprehend your posts.

    Thank you! I thought it was just me!
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    ***
    It actually doesn't take much to be considered a 'difficult woman' -
    that's why there are so many of us.
    ...jane goodall
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790279].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author socialentry
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Thank you! I thought it was just me!

      that is not wat electrical engineer do
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790312].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Monetize
        Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

        that is not wat electrical engineer do

        It's irrelevant "wat" an electrical engineer does.

        It is a figure of speech to make a point.

        I could have said missile engineer or any other
        career that requires an advanced degree.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790332].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Come on guys this isn't rocket surgery.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790338].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author socialentry
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            Come guys this isn't rocket surgery.

            yea

            som people just will never kno the difference between an electrical engineer and a balloon animal


            best to mov on.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790343].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Monetize
              Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

              yea

              som people just will never kno the difference between an electrical engineer and a balloon animal


              best to mov on.

              Some people such as WOMEN?

              Do take a seat please and save your lame insults for somebody else.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    My guess is a recent router firmware upgrade caused havoc with mac addresses and/or device ip addresses.
    Signature

    Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790281].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      My guess is a recent router firmware upgrade caused havoc with mac addresses and/or device ip addresses.
      Likely..

      I actually logged into the router to see if I could change the channel but that was locked down, so did not attempt anything else. It was very selective in what it connected too. Wondering also if it was a temp thing going on with with the local Comcast connection and it just got fixed.

      Anyway, all good now.
      Signature

      Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790311].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      My guess is a recent router firmware upgrade caused havoc with mac addresses and/or device ip addresses.
      You sound like you know what you are talking about. Could you take a look at my Interocitor?
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790499].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Could you take a look at my Interocitor?
        Not again I won't.
        Signature

        Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790500].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          The thread should read : " A very strange Warrior Member with Problems "
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790501].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            The thread should read : " A very strange Warrior Member with Problems "
            Is couch surfing one of your sports? I do that, surfing the net.
            Signature

            Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790508].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

          Not again I won't.
          That was my Outerocitor.
          Signature
          One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

          What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790502].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            That was my Outerocitor.
            Bragg, once again you have blown your cover. If Metaluna goes under, I will make sure you are disinherited from the remaining outer colonies.
            Signature

            Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790506].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            That was my Outerocitor.
            Weird. It looked like an inny.
            Signature

            Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DWolfe
    Originally Posted by lanfear63 View Post

    All things said against Comcast, they certainly came through for me this time.
    Xfinity's biggest issue is their poor customer service and they raise prices for no reason. The latest push is to switch to their cellular plan. No thanks, T-Mobile cellular service works great for my needs.

    The positive is when a storm hits and knocks out the power, the alerts on mobile are great. Plus they have pretty reliable service and plenty of techs in the area. I don't think Xfinity is much different than other companies out there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790296].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by DWolfe View Post

      Xfinity's biggest issue is their poor customer service and they raise prices for no reason. The latest push is to switch to their cellular plan. No thanks, T-Mobile cellular service works great for my needs.

      The positive is when a storm hits and knocks out the power, the alerts on mobile are great. Plus they have pretty reliable service and plenty of techs in the area. I don't think Xfinity is much different than other companies out there.
      Can't pick up any local tv channels where I am, even with a large amplified ariel. So, the net is important for services, info and entertainment. All things said against Xfinity, had it for 4 years now and rarely dropped the connection and even then, just for a short time. I was surprised how quickly I got through as well. They seem to have made an effort.

      And yes, I got the cellular plan pushed. But I already have a phone and plan with them paying $14.65 per month and not a really a heavy user, so no extra charges.
      Signature

      Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790313].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    Now was it 9 pm when you got of the phone and 4 am when you turned everything on not 4 pm.

    So why does keeping your door open matter in any of the tech issues. Do you have a faraday cage built into that room to protect you from mind control signals.

    Other wise why would the wifi have any issue going through the wall.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790345].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      Now was it 9 pm when you got of the phone and 4 am when you turned everything on not 4 pm.

      So why does keeping your door open matter in any of the tech issues. Do you have a faraday cage built into that room to protect you from mind control signals.

      Other wise why would the wifi have any issue going through the wall.
      Every obstacle will weaken the signal a bit. But, I never bother closing the door anyway. Try doing a speed test and putting your router in a closet, you should see a slower speed.
      Signature

      Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      Now was it 9 pm when you got of the phone and 4 am when you turned everything on not 4 pm.

      So why does keeping your door open matter in any of the tech issues. Do you have a faraday cage built into that room to protect you from mind control signals.

      Other wise why would the wifi have any issue going through the wall.
      Yes, 4am, now corrected
      Signature

      Feel The Power Of The Mark Side

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Web Novelty
    Sometimes the problem might be on the side of the Internet Service Provider (ISP). They might have been performing maintenance or experiencing technical difficulties that affected your service. Routers and modems can sometimes encounter glitches that cause intermittent connectivity. These can often be resolved with a reset, which might have happened when the Comcast technician escalated the issue. VPN services can sometimes interfere with your internet connection. If the VPN server is not responding or if there's a problem with the VPN itself, it can cause connectivity issues. Since your VR headset was working fine, it's less likely, but wireless interference from other devices can sometimes cause connectivity issues for devices like the Shield and Beelink.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11790566].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics