Double Opt-In Dilemma ...

by Lyra 12 replies
Hi,

This is my first post here on the forum. It is most certainly impressive how many of you share pearls of wisdom and give fabulous advise! I am hoping to hear your thoughts and input on the following subject.

We are planning to add the option to sign-up for a mailing list inside an iPhone application. To use the double opt-in set-up is very counterproductive. Although we love AWeber, their policy prohibits not to use a double opt-in.

I am wondering if you could share some insights on the following:

1. Do you know of a similar program that allows to turn the double opt-in set-up to be turned on/off?

2. Do you recommend another auto-responder/mailing list manager

3. Do you have some insights to share related to in-app (iPhone) email collections?

4. Any other insights

I would greatly appreciate your feedback!
Lyra
#off topic forum
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    Double opt-in is what is going to keep you from getting spam complaints.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1866987].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lyra
      Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

      Double opt-in is what is going to keep you from getting spam complaints.
      Thank you! I understand and know. We will use double opt-in on our website.

      In an iPhone app, it's slightly a different story. It's tough to get people to opt-in on a device (iPhone/iPod)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869414].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
        Originally Posted by Lyra View Post

        Thank you! I understand and know. We will use double opt-in on our website.

        In an iPhone app, it's slightly a different story. It's tough to get people to opt-in on a device (iPhone/iPod)
        It doesnt matter if its tough or not. Its what will save you a$$.

        A spam complaint will shut your site down within minutes. I have yet to see anyone go with a full bore spam effort from a mobile device, but i'd wager that your carrier will probably slap you down just as fast for spam complaints.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1871757].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Lyra
          Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

          It doesnt matter if its tough or not. Its what will save you a$$.

          A spam complaint will shut your site down within minutes. I have yet to see anyone go with a full bore spam effort from a mobile device, but i'd wager that your carrier will probably slap you down just as fast for spam complaints.
          Thank you Michael!
          For all the reasons that are mentioned here, I felt I needed to post this thread to hear all of your thoughts on the subject (and right I was )

          I am very grateful for the time and input I have received. I'll try my best not to let 2 years pass again before posting again
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1873756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Why would you be a member for two years and not post until now?
    Why do you want to not use double opt-in?
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1867028].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Why would you be a member for two years and not post until now?
      Why do you want to not use double opt-in?
      probably either bought or farmed the emails
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1867463].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lyra
        Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

        probably either bought or farmed the emails
        no, this is my email and my account. Life changed after I signed up for warrior forum. I did not realize that I had to actively post in order to be allowed to ask for advise from a forum I highly respect.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869417].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Lyra, don't take it personally. We recently had a nasty rash of people who bought dormant WF accounts in order to spam the forum.

          To answer your question, at least indirectly, have you spoken to the wireless companies? ATT in particular, since you mention the iphone. They may be able to put you onto someone.

          Perhaps someone with a non-competing app can give you some leads. I see so many "text xyz to 123" ads that someone is getting the opt-ins.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869488].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Lyra
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            Lyra, don't take it personally. We recently had a nasty rash of people who bought dormant WF accounts in order to spam the forum.

            To answer your question, at least indirectly, have you spoken to the wireless companies? ATT in particular, since you mention the iphone. They may be able to put you onto someone.

            Perhaps someone with a non-competing app can give you some leads. I see so many "text xyz to 123" ads that someone is getting the opt-ins.
            Thank you, John, for the clarification. I understand.

            Great thoughts on the subject. Thank you for taking your time
            At&T can not be of help here.

            Have you heard of this company MailMachinePRO (Email marketing software) by any chance? They are not offering a service (like AWeber for example) so you have to do your own backed protection or enlist someone like smtp dot com to do so for you.

            This is what I was able to find out thus far today. I am not familiar with either one of them and this makes me a little bit nervous. The last thing I want is for us to end up on some kind of a blacklist because we made a silly (unintentional) mistake.

            So, I am sort of back to the beginning of things. There has to be a way to add subscribers in the least offensive yet the safest way possible ... whew
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869531].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lyra
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Why would you be a member for two years and not post until now?
      Why do you want to not use double opt-in?
      1. Because I put my internet marketing career on hold, yet I know this forum has some awesome experts here so I turned her for advice.

      2. Because yes, we will use double opt-in on our website, to avoid being blacklisted/spam. But also, we are considering to find a different solution for an in-app scenario different from a website stetting. It would not be possible to use a false email since the sign-up happens through a device (iPhone)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    You can also buy your own autoresponder.
    I use at times autoresponse plus.
    you can find it here:
    Follow Up Autoresponder and Mailing List Software - AutoResponse Plus

    The owner, Neil Morgan is a Warrior.

    And He has an affiliate program but my link is not in the link.
    Its a good product.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lyra
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      You can also buy your own autoresponder.
      I use at times autoresponse plus.
      you can find it here:


      The owner, Neil Morgan is a Warrior.

      And He has an affiliate program but my link is not in the link.
      Its a good product.
      Thank you for the awesome tip! I'll see if I can track down Neil Morgan to find out if his program is what we need! Thank you very much, Kim - I greatly appreciate your input.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1870702].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics