Northern Europe Getting Hit By Iceland Volcano's Ash

41 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Hey Warriors

We all know many of you guys live up there in UK, Finland, Iceland, Norway, etc.

Now we have this ash cloud from the Iceland volcano closing airports and threatening northern Europe - and some scientists talk about Germany getting hit too next week!!

Just want to drop a big and friendly Watch Out to everyone in those countries.

Inform yourselves about the ash cloud and what you need to do to protect yourselves and your families.

Let's keep this thread updated and please, share information with other warriors.

Fernando



P.S.: Heres a MeteoSat image of the ash cloud:

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html...ROPE/index.htm
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    The people in the area in Iceland have been evacuated. Countries are shutting their airspace as the ash passes over, there is not threat in inhalation as volumes are very low.

    What exactly are we meant to be protecting ourselves and our families from???
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1992024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by jazbo View Post

      What exactly are we meant to be protecting ourselves and our families from???
      Volcanic ash contains glass dust and particles that can rip your insides to hash. If it is ashy you need to wear masks and stay out of that air - and your pets, too. I would assume that for the size of that thing that the toxic vapors probably have dissipated by the time that other junk gets to you.

      Animal remnants in the US from the time period that Yellowstone last blew were found a thousand miles away from Yellowstone and they were able to trace their deaths back to volcanic ash in their lungs. Of course, the volcano in Iceland is a thousand times smaller than Yellowstone - but you get the drift. Ever heard of diamond poisoning? Same type of thing.

      That is what you want to watch for. That ash can also cut up anything else it gets into - car mechanics, house ducts -- those minuscule glass particles are not something to play around with.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1999006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Birch
    60% of flights in Europe have been cancelled indefinately, although there is a 6 hour window at 4:00am on Saturday morning when there is supposed a gap in the clouds.

    My asthma is being affected and there is grey dust on the car

    It ain't lookin too good at the moment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1997651].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Henderson
      Originally Posted by Kevin Birch View Post

      My asthma is being affected and there is grey dust on the car
      Yeah, my car's covered in grey dust too -- and I've had a crappy sore throat for the last couple of days.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000385].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Edk
      Originally Posted by Kevin Birch View Post

      60% of flights in Europe have been cancelled indefinately, although there is a 6 hour window at 4:00am on Saturday morning when there is supposed a gap in the clouds.

      My asthma is being affected and there is grey dust on the car

      It ain't lookin too good at the moment.
      Kevin I'm in Manchester as well. Must admit I haven't seen anything, hopefully it'll have blown over literally, pronto...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2004466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Snappinn
    It might sound strange but here in Iceland where the Volcano is, our airports are open except one and that one, is the on the east cost. even thou our international airport is open there are only flight to the U.S.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1998027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    I APOLOGIZE! I was looking at iceland as a possible place to move to. They decided to go it their own, stay out of the EU, etc... Well, soon after that, they started making the news, they had a government switch, had financial turmoil, and then, WEEKS later, THIS! Story of my life! WHAT are the odds!?!?!? All I wanted to do was move to a nice stable country and SURE I might have to change careers, etc... but going 100% online and maybe fishing could be worthwhile. And HEY, vacations in europe wouldn't be so hard. OH WELL.

    And HEYSAL,

    Learning about Geology in school is MANDATORY!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1998049].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
      The last time this volcano erupted it lasted over a year! What would that do to European businesses?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1998742].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

        The last time this volcano erupted it lasted over a year! What would that do to European businesses?
        Never mind the business.
        I read today they might have to cancel this weeks
        champions league fixtures.
        Now that's serious.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000524].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author J Bold
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      I APOLOGIZE! I was looking at iceland as a possible place to move to. They decided to go it their own, stay out of the EU, etc... Well, soon after that, they started making the news, they had a government switch, had financial turmoil, and then, WEEKS later, THIS! Story of my life! WHAT are the odds!?!?!? All I wanted to do was move to a nice stable country and SURE I might have to change careers, etc... but going 100% online and maybe fishing could be worthwhile. And HEY, vacations in europe wouldn't be so hard. OH WELL.

      And HEYSAL,

      Learning about Geology in school is MANDATORY!

      Steve
      Iceland accepts very few immigrants, from what I understand.

      Anyway, Champions League games are on as the clubs have been ordered to use land travel, but Europa League matches are still "up in the air."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2004245].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by redicelander View Post

        Iceland accepts very few immigrants, from what I understand.

        Anyway, Champions League games are on as the clubs have been ordered to use land travel, but Europa League matches are still "up in the air."
        Yeah, you're probably right. It seems any worthwhile country is so restrictive.

        BTW interesting pun. 8-)

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2004317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Snappinn
    If any one is interested here are links to some live video of the volcano.

    Eyjafjallajökull frá Valahnúk

    Vodafone.is - Eldgos á Fimmvörðuhálsi

    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajoku...thorolfsfelli/

    The vodafone link takes some time to load

    Enjoy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1999182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author V12
    Look at the bright side. Think how much pollution from aircraft engines has reduced in the region, albeit for (probably) a short period of time.

    The skies are getting a little opportunity to 'detox'.

    Abdul.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1999329].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Opportunex View Post

      Look at the bright side. Think how much pollution from aircraft engines has reduced in the region, albeit for (probably) a short period of time.

      The skies are getting a little opportunity to 'detox'.

      Abdul.
      YEAH, S02, CO, CO2, SiO2, and a few other things are probably the only pollution the volcano will really spew. It may kill people, affect the weather, kill plants and animals, but HEY, we won't have any PLANES contributing CO or CO2 to the air!

      I wonder if al gore or obama feels the same!

      BTW the SiO2 is really the only reason the planes aren't flying. It isn't great for people or animals either!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1999441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Snappinn
    This is a small volcano, and maybe it will not produce ash all the time I have been told that it only produces ash in a certain condition.

    This small volcano is costing the British airline industries 140 million pound a day.

    Next to this volcano is a bigger volcano, Katla, and trough history, katla volcano has erupted after this one, and that is a volcano Europe and Iceland should worry about
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1999461].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Snappinn View Post

      This is a small volcano, and maybe it will not produce ash all the time I have been told that it only produces ash in a certain condition.

      This small volcano is costing the British airline industries 140 million pound a day.

      Next to this volcano is a bigger volcano, Katla, and trough history, katla volcano has erupted after this one, and that is a volcano Europe and Iceland should worry about
      Some in the US call it a MOUNTAIN! But it is probably FAR bigger than it looks, heck, it has to be, It USUALLY doesn't erupt but, when it does, it is a BIG DEAL! The last eruption supposedly killed like 25% of the country, plant life, and cattle. The people that fared best were those in the fishing areas.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1999491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Good to know at least some people are informed.

    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas
    Iceland's Revenge...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Henderson
      Revenge? They're the ones who owe billions to the UK. I think it's time to send in the bailiffs. What's Reykjavik worth?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000469].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pickthat apple
        I would like to point out that a lot of Icelanders themselves have lost the savings of a lifetime, that nobody is repaying so far (I know that from reliable sources since my partner is from there)...so, no doubt before repaying foreign debts it make sense to want their own money back.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000488].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thomas
        Originally Posted by John Henderson View Post

        Revenge? They're the ones who owe billions to the UK. I think it's time to send in the bailiffs. What's Reykjavik worth?
        Private investors lost money in private banks. Hardly the Icelandic people's fault; not that you'd know it listening to some reports in the British and European media: You'd think they slaughtered your children in their bed or something. Personally, I was glad to see them give two fingers to British/Dutch bully-boy tactics.

        Be warned: kick Icelanders when they're down, and they'll summon the ancient Nordic gods of fire and brimstone, and blanket your land with a giant plume of ash.

        Just sayin'...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000503].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Thomas
          Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

          Be warned: kick Icelanders when they're down, and they'll summon the ancient Nordic gods of fire and brimstone, and blanket your land with a giant plume of ash.
          Proof: Here's a picture taken by the Icelandic coast-guard of the 3 main vents of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. Definitely the twisted face of a scary Nordic god, if ever I saw one!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000542].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Henderson
            Ahh, you fellas are taking me far too seriously. I know that Iceland's in the cack, I just couldn't understand why Thomas thought the rest of Europe deserved some kind of "revenge" -- Icelandic banks must take some responsibility for their own downfall.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2000944].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
        Originally Posted by John Henderson View Post

        Revenge? They're the ones who owe billions to the UK. I think it's time to send in the bailiffs. What's Reykjavik worth?
        Nothing it's by an active volcano
        Signature

        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
        Getting old ain't for sissy's
        As you are I was, as I am you will be
        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2001150].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          To me it's fascinating why planes can't fly through the ash. There is silica in the ash and the heat of the jet engines turns that silica into obsidian.

          Glass in the engine = engine failure.

          What is truly amazing about this story is that so much can be disrupted by nature and we have no control over it when it happens.

          Initially, the "experts" were telling people in various countries that there was no health risk to the ash. Anyone believing that is a fool in my opinion but that was referring to the high ash clouds. I remember after 9/11 the experts weren't too worried about air quality either - and we know how that's turning out for those who worked on the site.

          Meteorologists said the ash clouds go as high as 5 miles - couldn't help but think a rainstorm would be a real mess. Seem like it would rain gray muck, wouldn't it?
          Signature
          Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
          ***
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2001163].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author seasoned
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            To me it's fascinating why planes can't fly through the ash. There is silica in the ash and the heat of the jet engines turns that silica into obsidian.

            Glass in the engine = engine failure.

            What is truly amazing about this story is that so much can be disrupted by nature and we have no control over it when it happens.

            Initially, the "experts" were telling people in various countries that there was no health risk to the ash. Anyone believing that is a fool in my opinion but that was referring to the high ash clouds. I remember after 9/11 the experts weren't too worried about air quality either - and we know how that's turning out for those who worked on the site.

            Meteorologists said the ash clouds go as high as 5 miles - couldn't help but think a rainstorm would be a real mess. Seem like it would rain gray muck, wouldn't it?
            Don't forget the SO2! SO2+H2O=acid rain.

            And this killed like 25% of the people in iceland the last time it happened. LUCKILY, now, Iceland doesn't have to go so far for help, etc... but it gives you an idea of how bad it could be. BUT HEY, I have been grounded at least 4 times by FOG(water vapor)! The Polish president, and his entourage, were recently killed because of the same sort of FOG! Over a dozen flighht I have been on had to be deiced! One flight was basically CANCELLED because a window heater was broken. So this sort of thing affects planes ALL THE TIME. Most are gone in 3-8 hours, but this one could last a few weeks, that is all.

            Steve
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2001273].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author HeySal
            Originally Posted by Paul M View Post


            this is the first time I've ever seen an absolutely flawless blue sky.

            -Paul
            You are getting hit with volcanic ash and the sky is flawless blue?
            Signature

            Sal
            When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
            Beyond the Path

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2002424].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Edk
              Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

              You are getting hit with volcanic ash and the sky is flawless blue?
              Seems funny. I'm where it's meant to be to some extent. In all honesty it IS flawless blue sky around here. A friend of mine's stuck in America wondering how she'll get back and I'm partly wondering where's the problem.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2004474].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Edk
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            To me it's fascinating why planes can't fly through the ash. There is silica in the ash and the heat of the jet engines turns that silica into obsidian.

            Glass in the engine = engine failure.

            What is truly amazing about this story is that so much can be disrupted by nature and we have no control over it when it happens.

            Initially, the "experts" were telling people in various countries that there was no health risk to the ash. Anyone believing that is a fool in my opinion but that was referring to the high ash clouds. I remember after 9/11 the experts weren't too worried about air quality either - and we know how that's turning out for those who worked on the site.

            Meteorologists said the ash clouds go as high as 5 miles - couldn't help but think a rainstorm would be a real mess. Seem like it would rain gray muck, wouldn't it?
            Truth: we need to see science for what it is.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2004495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Some test flights going on in Europe to check if it's safe to fly right now.

    The volcano continues active, scientists expect a busy week and now this: Volcano Ash May Reach Canada Coast Today, U.K. MET Office Says - BusinessWeek.

    Ouch.

    Quick edit to add a "volcano" live cam - it's a long shot but the other ones are simply offline:_
    http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthq...yjafjalen.html
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2005396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    My mother in Law can't fly over from South Africa. Due in Wednesday...................... I feel sad. :-)
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2005439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    I had a "sand" on my car Saturday morning. I do not think you'll actually see "Volcano dust" floating in the sky.....but it's there. How damaging it really is the aircraft..??? I'll bet they start flying by Friday again.

    Kevin I'm in Manchester as well. Must admit I haven't seen anything, hopefully it'll have blown over literally, pronto...

    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2005444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by sloanjim View Post

      I had a "sand" on my car Saturday morning. I do not think you'll actually see "Volcano dust" floating in the sky.....but it's there. How damaging it really is the aircraft..??? I'll bet they start flying by Friday again.
      Besides slicing up parts or clogging lines, etc? LOL.
      It also can turn to glass when melted and then cooled.

      In fault lines silica turns to oil when mixed with water and when the fault is under pressure can make it slip quite rapidly.

      And when it forms agates, it's delightful stuff.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2008172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    well no English teams left so I do not care :-( Barca have won it so hand it to them now.

    Never mind the business.
    I read today they might have to cancel this weeks
    champions league fixtures.
    Now that's serious.
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2005450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    During my Earthquake watch, I also check out volcanoes. There were 25 on Orange a few weeks ago. The ones that are really dangerous are Vesuvius, because of the 800,000 that live on the volcano and Yellowstone, which could be a catastrophe of major proportions. Scientists think that the plume under Yellowstone has unhooked from the heat source, but it's still plenty hot enough to do unequivocal damage to everything on earth. It's the most monitored volcano on earth, but how much warning can we expect with the crustal shifting going on now? There might be more dormant volcanoes erupting, but others might be cut off from the mantle plumes, too. Flip a coin.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2007048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bardman
    Some people are hoping this is going to pass - and it may not for weeks or months. The repercussions from a continuing situation are immense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2007190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    well airpsace in open ove rthe UK tomorrow. Thought they would sooner than later

    Is it just me or are we seeing alot of Earthquakes/ Volcano activity recently?
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2007595].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
      Originally Posted by sloanjim View Post

      well airpsace in open ove rthe UK tomorrow. Thought they would sooner than later

      Is it just me or are we seeing alot of Earthquakes/ Volcano activity recently?
      Uh Oh, Not the whole 2012 thing again
      Signature
      People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2007631].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HeySal
        Originally Posted by Fernando Veloso View Post

        Uh Oh, Not the whole 2012 thing again
        Might as well - we missed the 2009 one.

        Read somewhere that volcanoes could rip Iceland to shreds if they all start going active - melting glaciers, splitting land masses, flooding from glacial melt, etc. Doesn't sound like friendly terrain to me at all.
        Signature

        Sal
        When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
        Beyond the Path

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2007915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but here in Australia, all the TV and radio stations refer to it as "the Icelandic volcano" rather than having to learn how to pronounce Eyjafjallajökull. Lazy sods.

    [UPDATE] The latest email that's going around says "Put €30 billion in a bag outside the Icelandic embassy in London, and we'll turn off the volcano".

    It doesn't take long for the jokester's to get in does it.
    Signature
    Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
    So that blind people can hate them as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2008248].message }}

Trending Topics