To all grumpy old men and women - what's your pet hate?

37 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
This has probably been round before, but I was really irritated by someone answering their cellphone while talking to me.

I know people do it without thinking, but isn't the person saying that the caller is perfectly entitled to interrupt the conversation he was having with me?

Or am I just longing in vain for good manners which have now disappeared?

Anyway, that's my pet hate at the momenr, what's yours?

P.S. I also hate people answering their cellphones in elevators, where there is no escape.
And why do people who do this invariably have the loudest voice?
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    And what do they have to talk about all the time? I guess I'm missing a gene or something - I don't want to be connected to other people all the time. I guess that's where I get my aversion to "social" sites.

    I think it's sad when I see a woman with her children (and it usually is a woman doing this) in a store talking on a cell phone the entire time. I wonder if it makes the kids feel invisible and unimportant.

    kay

    ...and I'm not grumpy!
    Signature
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2249239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    Yes, me too and me either.

    (hate addictive cell phone behavior, not grumpy).

    Ok here is one sorta related. I absolutely hate telemarketers. In that I am on the 'Do not call list', I expect not to get a lot of calls. While it helps, apparently charities are exempt.

    So, I have an old-fashioned answering machine and caller ID - if I don't recognize the number I don't answer. Simple, right?

    No, because lately what that causes is for them to call at a different hour almost every day to try to figure out when I am 'home'.

    I thought ok, just pick up the phone and say 'no thank you' and they will check me off the list.

    No, because they just keep calling and I suspect it is that they don't want it on their record that they had a 'no' so they just keep me as a 'no answer'.

    It really takes answering the #!@$%% phone and saying outright - 'Please remove me from your list and stop calling me'....

    (I know this is only logical because how do they know I am purposely not answering and really not just always out) - but I feel like I am being harassed. Not the right mood to get me to feel like giving them money.

    Further I once gave money to some police fund and I was glad to do it. However since then I have every law enforcement agency in the world calling me at least once a year. I feel like I was pimped.

    grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2249299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Cell phones drive me nuts.......or I should say that they are driving the people who use them nuts. I don't plan on being road kill because someone can't pull over to use theirs and I even take license plate numbers if someone is being dangerous because they have a phone in their ear while driving.

    People that HAVE to have dogs but don't know or don't care to take care of them properly drive me crazy, too. What the hell are they thinking? A dog isn't property, it's a life - complete with needs and feelings. Dogs don't need licenses, owners do.

    Last (for now) people who throw trash. I am so disgusted with seeing people's trash laying around when I go out to the woods, mountains, lakes, and rivers that I am starting to think that we'd be better off if we just shot these environmental demolition units on site as soon as their garbage hits the ground. There's no excuse for being so irresponsible and drooling stupid. If you can't pack your crap out with you, you shouldn't even be allowed off your own property. The earth is not your private landfill.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2249330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    When I'm driving on I-95 near Philly, and someone passes me and
    cuts loose with automatic weapon fire. Annoys the hell outta me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2249357].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author peter_act
      And there's another thing...............

      People walking along the footpath and texting.
      Because I am actually looking where I am going, it's me who has to give way - is that fair?
      I would love to see them fall down a pothole - or is that being too vindictive?

      BTW Using a cellphone while driving is a traffic offence in Australia
      Signature

      Cheap websites for small businesses: Affordable mobile websites
      Get a free autoresponder here: Money Making Opportunities

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2249500].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jacktackett
      Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

      When I'm driving on I-95 near Philly, and someone passes me and
      cuts loose with automatic weapon fire. Annoys the hell outta me.
      uhm, my bad Ken, - darn hair trigger don't ya know. Getting it fixed this weekend.

      respectfully,
      --Jack
      Signature
      Let's get Tim the kidney he needs!HELP Tim
      Mega Monster WSO for KimW http://ow.ly/4JdHm


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    Peter,

    Maybe you should consider switching to a popular decaffeinated brand or
    start rolling your own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2249549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    WHile given time I could come up with a whole list, but for now I will second cell phones and cell phone usage in general.
    Fast food joints and 1/2 the line is yakkin away ,and they don't have enough manners to put them down when they get to the front of the line to order.

    The next step up would be a sit down place.
    Your sitting their trying to eat your meal and almost every table has both adults and kids talking away.

    But you can't blame the kids because they were raised without manners.
    As they saying goes, monkey see monkey do.

    Another pet peeve is seeing people out running around in there pjs.I don't know who and when this started, but I think people should put on real clothes when they go out in public.

    Which made me remember something I saw yesterday.WHat is it about wearing your pants down to your knees and letting your underwear show? And I dont mean just pants waistline is a bit low, I mean literally the pants are hanging on the knees?

    As I said, I could go on and on, but that's enough for now, and YES, I am a grumpy old man.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2250591].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post


      Which made me remember something I saw yesterday.WHat is it about wearing your pants down to your knees and letting your underwear show? And I dont mean just pants waistline is a bit low, I mean literally the pants are hanging on the knees?

      This guy has the same peeve.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252241].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Another pet peeve is seeing people out running around in there pjs.I don't know who and when this started, but I think people should put on real clothes when they go out in public.

      Which made me remember something I saw yesterday.WHat is it about wearing your pants down to your knees and letting your underwear show? And I dont mean just pants waistline is a bit low, I mean literally the pants are hanging on the knees?
      Kim try this sometime.
      Walk up to them with a straight face (the hard part, they are funny looking) and say in a loud voice "excuse me I just wanted to let you know your pants are falling down".
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author noodle2005
    Im not particularly old (31) and I'm not that grumpy either but, what really really annoys me is when I'm in a shop getting served and the member of staff, despite the fact that they are actually serving me, does not look at me or even aknowledge me because he / she is too busy talking to a co worker on the next till. They hand me my change but don't even say thanks because they are too busy talking. It's sheer ignorance.

    Iv'e lost my rag a few times, the most recent was just last week. After the kid on the checkout handed me my change without looking at me or saying a word to me because he was too busy talking to a co worker i simply said "thanks a lot you ignorant spotty little ****" and do you know what, he still didn't look at me, i guess he pretended he didn't hear me but the people behind me waiting to be served certainly did

    As far call centres, oh do they annoy the knockers off me. As soon as you make it clear you aren't interested they just hang up without saying a word and i hate it hate it hate it.

    Wow, maybe i am grumpy lol, i better crack open a guinness in the sun here in the UK
    Signature

    I Have Nothing To Offer The World Except My Own Confusion

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2250740].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LynnM
      Lack of comon courtesy - like someone not saying please or thank you, when it's appropriate. And people who think they have a right to tell you how to live your life. And ex-husbands. And lately, telemarketers who get shirty if you tell them "no thanks".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2250801].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gail Grannum
    Okay my pet peeve is the group of individuals who sit at lights and do not put their blinkers on until they are starting to turn.

    I am the only person who uses the signal light ahead of time?

    Part two is also driving and turning related. The drivers who turn when pedestrians have the walking sign and are in the walkway.

    Kindness and manners in the car would go so very far.

    Thanks for the opportunity to share!
    Signature

    [SIZE=1]Gail Grannum[FONT=Arial]


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2250802].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Telemarketers don't bother me in the least.

    I usually don't answer, but when I do, I like to play with them a bit.

    One of my favorites is to ask them if they've heard the good news of the Brotherhood Church of Eternal Salvation and Atonement.

    IF they say "yes", then I go on to talk about how great it is (even though it's made up).

    If the say "no", I give them a nice long-winded spiel about why they should join.

    However, my all time favorite is when a phony disabled veterans "charity" called me. I knew they were fake before I laid it on thick. I asked for clarification by asking, "So, you are in support of disabling [sic] veterans?"

    The guy said yes.

    Then I let loose.

    I read him the riot act and told him how I support our veterans, and the fact that he would support them being disabled was awful. I went on and on about how I don't think they should be injured at all, and if he was in favor of disabling them, then he could solicit donations elsewhere.

    He had no idea what hit him.



    All the best,
    Michael

    p.s. Remember, they are calling you. Make stuff up, play with them, just don't make any threats as that could get you into trouble - other than that, anything is fair game in my book.
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2251166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jagged
    Pet peeves?...I could be here a while....



    Cops who flash their lights just to get through an intersection, then turn them off...

    Waiting 10 minutes+ for "fast food"...

    People who I have absolutely no friggen Idea who they are.....who want to be my friend on Twitter...

    Teenagers who think they have all the answers & know it all...

    People who park their shopping carts right in the middle of the isle so no one can pass....then act like they are so put out when you say excuse me...

    Going to a store for an advertisied special (ex: sale starts monday, 10 am)....making sure I'm there no later than 10:05 am...only to find they are "sold out"...

    People who are notoriously late then have some lame excuse as to why...

    "Pork" in government spending...

    Nancy Pelosi...

    Oil companies who drill for oil without a major catastrophe exit plan...

    People who do not run spell check before offering their eBooks to the public...

    Warriors who quote an entire 8 paragraph post...only to leave a 3 word comment...

    *I better stop before I waste all the chat ink...

    ~Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2251233].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by Jagged View Post

      Pet peeves?...I could be here a while....



      Cops who flash their lights just to get through an intersection, then turn them off...

      Waiting 10 minutes+ for "fast food"...

      People who I have absolutely no friggen Idea who they are.....who want to be my friend on Twitter...

      Teenagers who think they have all the answers & know it all...

      People who park their shopping carts right in the middle of the isle so no one can pass....then act like they are so put out when you say excuse me...

      Going to a store for an advertisied special (ex: sale starts monday, 10 am)....making sure I'm there no later than 10:05 am...only to find they are "sold out"...

      People who are notoriously late then have some lame excuse as to why...

      "Pork" in government spending...

      Nancy Pelosi...

      Oil companies who drill for oil without a major catastrophe exit plan...

      People who do not run spell check before offering their eBooks to the public...

      Warriors who quote an entire 8 paragraph post...only to leave a 3 word comment...

      *I better stop before I waste all the chat ink...

      ~Ken
      Me too. Me too.
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2251430].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author noodle2005
        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

        Me too. Me too.
        Haha i bet he knew that was coming
        Signature

        I Have Nothing To Offer The World Except My Own Confusion

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2251796].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          As a non grumpy old man my biggest pet peeve is grumpy old men and women.
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2251888].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
          Originally Posted by noodle2005 View Post

          Haha i bet he knew that was coming
          I tried to stop myself, but my hands had a mind of their own.



          ~M~
          Signature

          "Ich bin en fuego!"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252044].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
            When I act like a jerk. By nature, believe it or not, I'm really a nice guy.
            But sometimes something gets into me and I act like a total ass.

            That's what I hate more than anything because that's not who I am.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252087].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ThomM
              Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

              When I act like a jerk. By nature, believe it or not, I'm really a nice guy.
              But sometimes something gets into me and I act like a total ass.

              That's what I hate more than anything because that's not who I am.
              How about when you're acting like an ass, know you're acting like an ass, and still act like an ass.
              Not that I've ever done that:rolleyes:
              Signature

              Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
              Getting old ain't for sissy's
              As you are I was, as I am you will be
              You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dfloyd
    It's an oldie but goody gripe...people that won't shut up during a movie that you already had to pay too much to see.
    Signature
    The road to ruin is always in good repair...the traveler's pay the expense. ~ Josh Billings
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ride_the_lightning
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2254917].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bjd461
        One of mine is the universal craze of sms texting languge, (hru, 10q, ty, etc etc grrr) where vowels are a thing of the past. I might forgive this on cellphone messages, but now its everywhere, on mails, in chat, and it bugs me a lot that many people just dont use the keyboard anymore.

        Oh, and for those telemarketers, the one i like is, ask them for their name, and then "that sounds great and i would love to chat some more about it - give me your home number and i will ring you later".
        Signature

        Some working strategies to earn extra money, by starting and maintaining your own blog for ways to make money online.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2255468].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
          Originally Posted by bjd461 View Post

          One of mine is the universal craze of sms texting languge, (hru, 10q, ty, etc etc grrr) where vowels are a thing of the past. I might forgive this on cellphone messages, but now its everywhere, on mails, in chat, and it bugs me a lot that many people just dont use the keyboard anymore.

          Oh, and for those telemarketers, the one i like is, ask them for their name, and then "that sounds great and i would love to chat some more about it - give me your home number and i will ring you later".
          Me too. Nothing more annoying than talking to a grown man or woman that texts like a fricken middle school girl.

          And my telemarketer beef is the auto callers that dont work. If you're going to annoy me with offers of low cost loans or get out of debt free advice, atleast get your calling machine to work correctly so i dont get a call that has nobody on the line.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260642].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Whilst you were saying that I was ponderinf the implications.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2255744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Memberhere23094
    Without being "old and grumpy", I'd say when someone says that they believe one thing but then their actions tell you something completely different. For instance a typical church-goer who slanders their neighbor (gossips negatively about their neighbor).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2255917].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Okay, I guess it's time for me to let loose because I've come to realize
      that aside from me hating when I act like an ass, I do have another pet
      peeve.

      I hate all these 3rd world refunders. I get very few refunds, but almost every
      one I get is from some guy with a name I can't pronounce.

      I'm sorry if this sounds prejudice but I'm sick of it. I just got another one
      about 5 minutes ago.

      The guy's name?

      Think somewhere in Nigeria probably.

      This pisses me off beyond anything you can imagine.

      Only thing I can do, after they buy, is ban their email address in
      DLGuard.

      But it still pisses me off. These people are bottom feeding leaches.

      Okay, I'm done.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2257186].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        On second thought, I'm not done.

        I hate people who go out of their way to ruin things for others.

        Entertainment Weekly has a Doctor Who section where they specifically
        ask members not to reveal the episodes shown in England because they
        are like 3 weeks ahead of the US.

        So what does one asshole do?

        He posts one line to the running comments on the blog..."<blank dies>"

        I won't mention the character in case somebody didn't see it yet.

        He did it just to be a dick.

        I hate people who do that.

        Okay, NOW I'm done.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2257251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lawrh
    Steven, it only seems like a spoiler. Once you've seen the rest of the season a discussion thread should be started. Lot's of Whovians here.
    Signature

    “Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare.” – Old Japanese proverb -

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2257372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    I hate when people drop their t's/d's. It makes them sound moronic.
    Not using turn signals

    A major pet peeve is not knowing how to use the friggen highway. Down here I drive on a lot of multi-lane highway. Usually atleast 3 lanes. Now unless something has changed that I havent been told about, you pass on the left. That means that if you are getting passed on BOTH sides, get the f@%* over to your right!

    My ultimate pet peeve is texting and driving. You are in control of a 2+ ton steel missle that is doing 60+ mph and you're surrounded by other people doing the same and you're passing within sometimes inches of each other at speed. Put the damn phone down, there isnt anything that important going on. If you are that important or that much of a playboy that you need to be constantly available, buy a bluetooth or handfree setup for your car. The $100 bucks or less you spend on a good bluetooth earpiece that will work with most every phone is FAR cheaper than days/weeks/months of hospital bills or funeral costs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2259745].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Michael Motley View Post

      I hate when people drop their t's/d's. It makes them sound moronic.
      Not using turn signals

      A major pet peeve is not knowing how to use the friggen highway. Down here I drive on a lot of multi-lane highway. Usually atleast 3 lanes. Now unless something has changed that I havent been told about, you pass on the left. That means that if you are getting passed on BOTH sides, get the f@%* over to your right!

      My ultimate pet peeve is texting and driving. You are in control of a 2+ ton steel missle that is doing 60+ mph and you're surrounded by other people doing the same and you're passing within sometimes inches of each other at speed. Put the damn phone down, there isnt anything that important going on. If you are that important or that much of a playboy that you need to be constantly available, buy a bluetooth or handfree setup for your car. The $100 bucks or less you spend on a good bluetooth earpiece that will work with most every phone is FAR cheaper than days/weeks/months of hospital bills or funeral costs.

      Michael, I know we don't agree on much, but I'm 100% with you on
      this one.

      These people are just idiots.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    The next time you all go for an enjoyable evening out, look around the restaurant or wherever you're at. You'll see hordes of people just sitting there, bored, because their dinner companion is ignoring them while they talk on the phone or text.

    That's my pet peeve. Fortunately most of my friends are more courteous than that, but I feel for the people who thought they were going out for a nice evening... and instead they have to listen to their friend talk to everyone else on the planet.

    Worse yet, if you overhear the conversations, it's stuff like, "omg, I can't believe Billy dumped Suzy because she wore brown shoes!" You know, the kind of stuff that can wait until later. Like, this gossip will still be juicy 30 minutes from now. LOL


    ***

    One more...

    People who text at the family dinner table. Make that tenfold if it's a special occasion, such as a holiday or when you have guests.

    Cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    Some of you people have WAY too much stuff to be getting worked up over.

    I'm a little shocked at some of the stuff that you let into your mind that winds you up...

    How on earth can anybody be affected by these quirky little things that other people do?.

    Half the stuff you guys mention above, I wouldn't even notice myself. My focus is always on my own things.

    And Peter:

    Originally Posted by peter_act View Post

    This has probably been round before, but I was really irritated by someone answering their cellphone while talking to me.

    I know people do it without thinking, but isn't the person saying that the caller is perfectly entitled to interrupt the conversation he was having with me?
    Yes.

    He is saying that.

    Maybe your conversation wasn't as important as the one he was going to have on the telephone. It's a bit conceited for you to expect that somebody somehow owes you their time above all else...

    Or am I just longing in vain for good manners which have now disappeared?
    Good manners haven't disappeared, I see them every single day. In people, adults and children alike, but most importantly, my own daughter.. so I know they haven't disappeared.

    Good manners haven't disappeared.... you just like to think they have so you can moan and complain about it.

    Anyway, that's my pet hate at the momenr, what's yours?
    My "pet hate" is people asking other people about pet hates, as if to justify their own grumpy complaints....

    Jay
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post



      My "pet hate" is people asking other people about pet hates, as if to justify their own grumpy complaints....

      Jay
      Pot...meet kettle.

      Kettle...say hello to pot.

      I trust you two will have a nice long happy life together as long as you
      don't keep calling each other black.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260828].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Pot...meet kettle.
        ummm.. I'm sorry... where did I ask anybody about their grumpy complaints?...

        For my post to be considered as "the pot calling the kettle black", I would be asking people about their complaints...

        You shouldn't attempt sarcasm if you lack the ability to make it work
        Signature

        Bare Murkage.........

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260963].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

          ummm.. I'm sorry... where did I ask anybody about their grumpy complaints?...

          For my post to be considered as "the pot calling the kettle black", I would be asking people about their complaints...

          You shouldn't attempt sarcasm if you lack the ability to make it work
          You're just a party pooper. :p
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2261004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2262277].message }}

Trending Topics