The neighbor's dog is barking

19 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Hi everyone,

So my neighbor has a dog. Each time he comes out to the backyard, he barks. Maybe he sees a squirrel.. Maybe a warm in the soil moved.... Or maybe someone walked near the house on the trail?

I don't know about you guys and ladies who work at home part time of full time, does your neighbor dog bark each time they go out to the backyard?

I know this may sound weird, but I kind a like it when he barks.

Is that weird? Does it bother you?

Tal
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I can tell by my dog's body language why why she is barking.

    She may see a squirrel or a strange cat or person may be near her yard - or she may just be having fun barking.

    The only barking that bothers me is that of a poor dog chained up with nothing to be happy about.

    kay
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
    ***
    Dear Santa - I've been good all year. Most of the time. Some of the time. Ummm...
    Never mind, I'll buy my own stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2760142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    A properly trained dog wouldn't bark incessantly. I'd just go outside and join the dog in barking until the neighbor got the message.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2760166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author waterotter
    I'm with Kay on this one. Hunting season is on right now. The hunters bring their dog's here for the hunt. I hear them in the early evening - it breaks my heart, as I know these poor guys are tied up for about 50 weeks of the year with little attention paid to them. I wish they would ban the use of dogs for hunting.

    As for my dog - like Kay, her body language tells all. Even if I don't see her, I can generally tell by her bark, the reason for it. It's real easy to do after 12 years!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2760220].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      The funniest bark my Gracie ever did (pit bull)....

      I was in the house and she had gone out to the fenced yard. She was barkly frantically as if she were hurt so I rushed out the door.

      Found she had somehow gone over the fence into the unfenced front yard and was frantically trying to get back INTO the fence.

      Quite a difference from doodah (blue heeler) who used to climb the fence to get out - tour the neighborhood and then climb back in.

      My dogs seldom bark but when they do it means

      I want out
      I want in
      Water bowl is empty
      I need a dog biscuit
      Come play with me
      I see the turtle in the neighbor's yard
      There's a squirrel, cat, bird in the tree
      Ow, that hurt

      Like many animal lovers, I've learned to speak "dog".

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
      ***
      Dear Santa - I've been good all year. Most of the time. Some of the time. Ummm...
      Never mind, I'll buy my own stuff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2760260].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Quite a difference from doodah (blue heeler) who used to climb the fence to get out - tour the neighborhood and then climb back in.
        LOL - we use to have a dog like that, Jake, he was a GSP x Blue Heeler. We didn't even know he was getting out until my cousin was doing a first aid course at the Ambulance station up the road from us. Then he said to us one day 'did you know that Jake comes up to the station and gets his lunch every day'!

        We had no idea!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2763307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
      Originally Posted by waterotter View Post

      I'm with Kay on this one. Hunting season is on right now. The hunters bring their dog's here for the hunt. I hear them in the early evening - it breaks my heart, as I know these poor guys are tied up for about 50 weeks of the year with little attention paid to them. I wish they would ban the use of dogs for hunting.

      As for my dog - like Kay, her body language tells all. Even if I don't see her, I can generally tell by her bark, the reason for it. It's real easy to do after 12 years!
      As a former hunter (yes former because my older brother died in 2001 and I always went with him and lost interest when he passed) I use to raise bird dogs. Heck my whole family raised them. We could have up to 8 at a time and although dove and quail season was in the fall, we trained them year round so they got to go out to the woods and run wild a few times a month. The only time they were ever caged was on the way from the house to the hunting lease.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2770255].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author waterotter
        Originally Posted by thegotoguy View Post

        As a former hunter (yes former because my older brother died in 2001 and I always went with him and lost interest when he passed) I use to raise bird dogs. Heck my whole family raised them. We could have up to 8 at a time and although dove and quail season was in the fall, we trained them year round so they got to go out to the woods and run wild a few times a month. The only time they were ever caged was on the way from the house to the hunting lease.
        The hunting dogs I was referring to (I didn't make that clear in my post, sorry!) are the dogs used for deer hunting.

        We see them everywhere. They are tied or caged for most of the year with no exercise. I have heard horror stories about hunters not feeding their hounds so they will hunt harder.

        I have a bird dog myself that loves to run rabbits and fox. She is an indoor dog, is never tied - is free to roam at all times, goes with me everywhere, gets daily exercise, and is probably the worst backseat driver you ever came across! And yes, she is spoiled rotten.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2771852].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    "In the distance a dog barked" -- sounds like the end of a lame story. Your neighbors must not get out much.

    Write the neighbors an anonymous letter from the dog and stick in their mailbox - something like:

    Hi Mom and Dad - I know I'm irritating the neighbors because I talk too much - but good grief, I am bored to distraction.....would you PLEASE take me for a run somewhere? I'm going berserk here. I'm not furniture ya know - I need entertainment, too. What ya think I'm supposed to do when you're out at the movies or dancing? You wanted me. Would ya TAKE CARE OF ME PLEASE?

    That should get their attention.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2760535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mousecalls
    I have two dogs and when I let them out in the back, they do sometimes bark. But there is ALWAYS a reason behind it. They only bark inside when someone comes to the door! But to me, this is great and gives me a sense of security. Not that I own attack dogs but when someone hears a dog at the door, they usually think twice about entering unannounced!

    I'm with the others, I would call the humane society if I were to hear a dog barking all day. It is a very good sign that something is wrong....usually with the owner!
    Signature
    Frustrated with your slow computer? You need 'Ready to Shoot Your Slow Computer, Holster The Guns, Help is Only Clicks Away' in WSO

    Deb-n-Lee
    (Deb Marsden and Lee McVey)
    1-800-ShowMeHow.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2761608].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ron Kerr
      So many dog owners are lazy, often those with yappy little things. "They are small so they don't need a walk" they will say, while the crazy little thing barks its head off.

      All dogs need exercise and attention from their owners.

      We have a dog at the back that gets little attention as it has been left with adult children while the owners are away. He is systematically destroying the back yard.

      I was quite impressed by the job he did on the solar pool cover.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2762636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    Tal, my Mums dog does that. When my Mum works she doesn't like leaving her dog outside all day so she leaves her inside and I go up during the day to let her out. As soon as she steps outside the back door, she runs to the next doors fence and barks at the dog next door. Her and the dog next door have this chat for 30 seconds or so and then off she goes quietly, she's happy once she's had her chat with the neighbours dog.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2763313].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DHumphrey
      We have a young dog (20mths) and he barks sometimes when he is out - he has a large garden to roam in but generally he barks when somethings is out of place, car coming up the road or someone nearby. We live in the middle of the countryside so don't get many passing cars !

      He also barks at towels on the line, when we move a plant, the deer roaming in the field next door and sometimes the cows when they come too close !

      The funniest thing though is when he tries to bark with his squeaky ball in his mouth ! He doesn't want to put it down as he loves it so much but is determined to still do his job !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2763379].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
        Originally Posted by DHumphrey View Post

        The funniest thing though is when he tries to bark with his squeaky ball in his mouth ! He doesn't want to put it down as he loves it so much but is determined to still do his job !
        That made me laugh because I have a dog who does the same thing. It's especiall funny when he won't take the ball out of his month to bark at a guest/stranger. I always joke to the guest, "Well, at least you don't have to worry about him biting you."
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2763894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deep12
    If I was at your place. I haven't liked it much.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2763380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlexaRover503
    That what dogs for...to bark. Usually our dog barks only when he saw someone he is not familiar with. And if he see a ghost....or any creepy creatures...scary huh!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2763732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author I.M.Retired
    Our precious Golden Retriver, who sadly went to the Rainbow Bridge earlier this year, used to be a barker. Actually, she was a 'Boodler' - she said 'boodle oodle oo' whenever she had something to announce. But we were home with her all day, so we always dealt with the barking immediately. However, she felt (as most dogs do) that it was her honor-bound duty to bark at anything and everything that moved, fluttered or burped. A knock on the door was a signal to go into the berserk mode!

    This 'Dog Haiku' poem (I didn't write this - wish I did) was our Miss Kelly Jo' personified:

    Dog Haiku

    I love my master;
    Thus I perfume myself with
    This long-rotten squirrel.

    I lie belly-up
    In the sunshine, happier than
    You ever will be

    Today I sniffed
    Many dog butts - I celebrate
    By kissing your face.

    I sound the alarm!
    Paperboy - come to kill us all -
    Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

    I sound the alarm!
    Mailman Fiend - come to kill us all -
    Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

    I sound the alarm!
    Meter reader - come to kill all -
    Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

    I sound the alarm!
    Garbage man - come to kill all -
    Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

    I sound the alarm!
    Neighbor's cat - come to kill all!
    Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

    I lift my leg and
    Wiz on each bush. Hello, Spot -
    Sniff this and weep.

    How do I love thee?
    The ways are numberless as
    My hairs on the rug.

    My human is home!
    I am so ecstatic I have
    Made a puddle.

    I hate my choke chain -
    Look, world, they strangle me! Ack
    Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack!

    Sleeping here, my chin
    On your foot - no greater bliss - well,
    Maybe catching cats.

    Look in my eyes and
    Deny it. No human could
    Love you as much I do.

    Dig under fence - why?
    Because it's there. Because it's
    There. Because it's there.

    I am your best friend,
    Now, always, and especially
    When you are eating.

    You may call them fleas,
    But they are far more - I call
    Them a vocation.

    My owners' mood is
    Romantic - I lie near their
    Feet. I blow a big one.

    R.I.P. Miss Kelly! We love you and miss you more than you will ever know!!!!! What I would't give to hear your boodle barks one more time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2764022].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
      At my last place I had two neighbors directly behind my house who each had one large dog who barked constantly all day long. I mean every couple of seconds and thousands of barks per day. When the owners got home the dogs would go inside and not bark, but it drove me crazy during the day. I love dogs but this was a nuisance and I contacted the city after leaving a note on the owners door which was ignored. After the city gave them a warning the barking stopped for a couple weeks but then continued. I even sent them a link to a website that had products to keep dogs from barking all the time.

      Here's about what it sounded like at my house 8 to 10 hours a day:


      It's a big problem for a lot of people and I don't think the owners are even aware of it usually or simply don't care. I even bought a domain name intending to make a niche site but never got around to it. "dog barking" gets searched 165,000 times a month. Maybe I should get back to that one because there are many products to sell.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2764646].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author guideebook
      Originally Posted by Val.S. View Post

      Our precious Golden Retriver, who sadly went to the Rainbow Bridge earlier this year, used to be a barker. Actually, she was a 'Boodler' - she said 'boodle oodle oo' whenever she had something to announce. But we were home with her all day, so we always dealt with the barking immediately. However, she felt (as most dogs do) that it was her honor-bound duty to bark at anything and everything that moved, fluttered or burped. A knock on the door was a signal to go into the berserk mode!

      This 'Dog Haiku' poem (I didn't write this - wish I did) was our Miss Kelly Jo' personified:

      Dog Haiku

      I love my master;
      Thus I perfume myself with
      This long-rotten squirrel.

      I lie belly-up
      In the sunshine, happier than
      You ever will be

      Today I sniffed
      Many dog butts - I celebrate
      By kissing your face.

      I sound the alarm!
      Paperboy - come to kill us all -
      Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

      I sound the alarm!
      Mailman Fiend - come to kill us all -
      Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

      I sound the alarm!
      Meter reader - come to kill all -
      Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

      I sound the alarm!
      Garbage man - come to kill all -
      Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

      I sound the alarm!
      Neighbor's cat - come to kill all!
      Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

      I lift my leg and
      Wiz on each bush. Hello, Spot -
      Sniff this and weep.

      How do I love thee?
      The ways are numberless as
      My hairs on the rug.

      My human is home!
      I am so ecstatic I have
      Made a puddle.

      I hate my choke chain -
      Look, world, they strangle me! Ack
      Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack!

      Sleeping here, my chin
      On your foot - no greater bliss - well,
      Maybe catching cats.

      Look in my eyes and
      Deny it. No human could
      Love you as much I do.

      Dig under fence - why?
      Because it's there. Because it's
      There. Because it's there.

      I am your best friend,
      Now, always, and especially
      When you are eating.

      You may call them fleas,
      But they are far more - I call
      Them a vocation.

      My owners' mood is
      Romantic - I lie near their
      Feet. I blow a big one.

      R.I.P. Miss Kelly! We love you and miss you more than you will ever know!!!!! What I would't give to hear your boodle barks one more time!
      I love that, thank you!!

      We adopted a dog a few month ago, in fact he did. He entered our garden and we could not send him away, because he was only skin and bones. But normally we are "cat people" with no dog experience, athough we try to do our best.

      Now it comes to barking, I got up 2 times tonight because he was barking. DonĀ“t like to disturbe our neighbours nightly sleep. So I went down to calm him down (guess it was because of some love crazy male cats hanging around in the area now). But not sure I did the right thing, maybe he starts barking next time to make me come and give him attention?

      Any advice from the experts around here?


      P.S. I am new in the forum, I recognized the "thank you" message, how to do that???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2770406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bobwalk
    My neighbor's dog barks just at night or early morning when he hears noises.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2765967].message }}

Trending Topics