The reason I pose this question is because I just read the blog post
Crowd Mountain Status Update
by fellow Warrior and IM Guru Michelle MacPhearson explaining how medical problems and an unexpected surgery was the reason why she disappeared from the IM world abruptly last fall, leaving a lot of disgruntled customers of her Crowd Mountain membership site still getting billed for the service. In the post she talks about a lot of events that had a domino effect on what went wrong with her business.
What struck me was that someone I thought was a major "IM Guru" seemed to have a pretty one woman show and no effective safety net for her business when tragedy struck.
The purpose of this post is not to pass judgment one way or another on Michelle or her circumstances. In fact I wish her all the best and wish her a speedy recover from such a set back in her health and business.
Again..the purpose of this post is to ask those of you that have IM businesses, what do you do to take precautions that this sort of thing doesn't happen to your IM business if something, heaven forbid, happens to you?
In particular I'm wondering about the following:
1. What infrastructure do you have in place for someone to takeover for you if you can't run your business?
2. How do you monitor multiple sites and accounts?
3. What advice do you have for a beginning IM business, if we are small and can't afford a VA yet or don't have a business partner, as far as a way to have a plan in place in case something happens to you?
4. How do you track all the content you put out on the WWW and how do you track each property like it's own little business? I guess that's a bookkeeping question.
5. For those of us with minimal time who are just starting our online business, is there any software solutions that can provide a safety net?
Anyway, I thought the Warrior IM business veterans would have good advice about this part of an IM business plan. I'm using January to really map out my business and get my infrastructure in place and Michelle's post just really got my attention that I have no good answer for this in my own business plan.
Thanks in advance for your advice.