14-Year-Old Schoolboy Survives Hit By 30,000mph Meteorite

by Thomas
14 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
A 14-year-old schoolboy in Germany has survived a hit by a meteroite travelling at an estimated 30,000mph.

Fortunately for him, it was only the size of a pea by the time it struck him on the hand.

Lucky chap, all the same.

I hope they paid him for it.
  • Profile picture of the author TheGrooby
    "A red hot, pea-sized piece of rock then hit his hand before bouncing off and causing a foot wide crater in the ground."

    Am I the only one that read this article and thought it was sketchy? A 30,000 mph red hot meteorite hits a kids hand, bounces off, leaves a foot wide crater in the ground and he escapes with only a 3 inch scar?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3369643].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
      Originally Posted by TheGrooby View Post

      "A red hot, pea-sized piece of rock then hit his hand before bouncing off and causing a foot wide crater in the ground."

      Am I the only one that read this article and thought it was sketchy? A 30,000 mph red hot meteorite hits a kids hand, bounces off, leaves a foot wide crater in the ground and he escapes with only a 3 inch scar?
      Give that man (TheGrooby) a cigar...
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3370303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheJolt
    You're not the only one thinking its a bit fishy :L
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3370092].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Thomas
      Originally Posted by TheJolt View Post

      You're not the only one thinking its a bit fishy :L
      After posting it, I thought it was a bit strange too. And, after checking further, it turns out his claim, though apparently not actually disproved, has many inconsistencies, and is considered pretty dubious anyway.

      Ah well...

      And I don't know how I missed the date either. It a story from 2009.

      Ah well again...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3370587].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kangen
      Originally Posted by TheJolt View Post

      You're not the only one thinking its a bit fishy :L
      same is what i think, that's really not a story to believe
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3375538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Here's a much more scientific take on it...


    (The first 2:15 anyway)

    Rock on!
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3371549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    A three inch scar, size of a pea at velocity X? I'm thinking if this actually hit his hand at all it actually just grazed it, in which case the scar is probably more from being burned than from being grazed. Rocks falling at that kind of velocity tend to get a tad warm.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3374471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      A three inch scar, size of a pea at velocity X? I'm thinking if this actually hit his hand at all it actually just grazed it, in which case the scar is probably more from being burned than from being grazed. Rocks falling at that kind of velocity tend to get a tad warm.
      Oh hand...? I read head. What you say is very likely. Also, he could've gotten the scar due to friction.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3374554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    It's believable until you get to the "bouncing off" part. If anything is solid enough to make it through our atmosphere all the way to the ground, it's not going to "bounce" off of anyone's hand. Go through, yes - bounce, not so much.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3379088].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author QuickSurf
      Bounced off his hand my ass, an object that small traveling that fast, which is dense.... would have shredded right through his hand if not shredded his hand completely from the heat as well. It pry didn't even graze him, if it did hit near him the heat gave him that lil 3" burn or like any normal kid pry was curious and checked out the lil crater and got burned.. I showed this to an friend in astronomy and he just laughed and said it was already forwarded to him and he called bullsh!t on it lol (at least the story the kid tells).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3383527].message }}

Trending Topics