Wow, what a demanding customer!

20 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I thought this was really interesting.

For one site I am running, I am doing a few tests (i.e., applying certain internet marketing principles, etc), to see what kinds of results I get.

One of them happens to providing exceptional customer service. I've personally answered a lot of questions, because it is something I am testing out.

I have this one customer, who not only has benefited greatly from the product in less than a month (she's made her money back & then I'd guess about double or triple it within a month, and will probably see 10-15x return the initial price of the product within a year, and is on course to do even better with it. It's basically a 'push-button' solution -- where *literally* all she does is spend 5 minutes a day pushing a button to see results. (I could have made it 100% automated, but wanted people to at least have to push the button)...

Anyways, pretty much all her questions have been answered promptly. Usually within an hour. Obviously she's been pleased with the personal attention. (Customer service BTW is not part of the product/service, nor is it even mentioned/promised/etc in the sales page, etc. It's just what I decided to add on top of it, i.e., after they've purchased).

ANYWAYS... Today. Just as it would happen, it's been LESS than ONE day (I decided to take a short break from answering questions, i.e., I have to eat & sleep)... So today I get a curt, almost bit of slightly annoyed , foot tapping e-mail to the effect of "Geez! Don't you answer my questions? I've been waiting, checking for a response, and mine haven't been answered!"

I find that kind of amusing in a way. Not only has she greatly benefited from the product, but all her questions up until now have been answered very quickly (i.e., usually less than 1 hour). *One* question does not get answered immediately, and in spite of the exceptional service she's receive prior, this is the response I get... what are your thoughts?
#customer #demanding #wow
  • Profile picture of the author M Thompson
    I find 99.9% of all customers are great but there are 0.01% who seem to think that they are the center of your universe... but we are in a customer service industry so it's to be expected ..but it's still annoying as they usually as for a refund after 59 days
    Signature


    If you are serious about online marketing come and Join our free community The Foundation
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    Toxic customer. Stern email reply or public rebuke.

    Reset the conversation.

    You've created an expectation of a certain level of service.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547040].message }}
    • Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

      Toxic customer. Stern email reply or public rebuke.

      Reset the conversation.

      You've created an expectation of a certain level of service.
      Hi Brian,

      Interesting, hadn't thought of that. How would you respond?
      Signature
      Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547056].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
        Originally Posted by InternetSuccess001 View Post

        Hi Brian,

        Interesting, hadn't thought of that. How would you respond?
        John,

        I'd point out that you respond to support issues quickly,
        efficiently, and effectively. Sometimes, you'll even get a
        same day response - but not always.

        I'd make clear that you've provided exceptional support
        to her and that her complaint is both unreasonable and
        disappointing given the personal attention and timeliness
        of your previous support.

        Then I'd point out that they've gotten amazing results
        with your product - that you're PROUD of how well it's
        worked for them and would love to do a case study
        on them in the future if they behave.

        Brian
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547903].message }}
        • Hi Brian,

          Thanks, yes, I've done that now, and she seems a bit
          more appreciative. (And yes, she actually is quite
          happy about the product, she's even been going on
          other forums & posting in facebook about the results
          she's gotten! )

          Cheers,

          John

          Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

          John,

          I'd point out that you respond to support issues quickly,
          efficiently, and effectively. Sometimes, you'll even get a
          same day response - but not always.

          I'd make clear that you've provided exceptional support
          to her and that her complaint is both unreasonable and
          disappointing given the personal attention and timeliness
          of your previous support.

          Then I'd point out that they've gotten amazing results
          with your product - that you're PROUD of how well it's
          worked for them and would love to do a case study
          on them in the future if they behave.

          Brian
          Signature
          Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3548583].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author garben2011
            I think she reacted that way because by continually answering her questions very quickly every day without fail an expectation was created.

            When what she expected, based on experience from each of the past days, suddenly was taken away it probably really shook her up.

            Just a guess there.
            Signature

            Interested In Easy Micro Projects You Can Do In Your Spare Time? Get Paid To Help Me!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3548968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteveFinch
    Just goes to prove that some people are never going to be satisfied. I, like you, think it pays in the long run, to go the extra mile with clients, but that little madam would have me punching walls.

    Although my mind would be racing with what I'd like to send back to her, I'd somehow muster a "I'm sorry I've not been able to meet your customer service expectations" and then try to clear up her problem. (The one she was writing about, not her obvious severe lack of patience.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom B
    Banned
    Originally Posted by InternetSuccess001 View Post

    what are your thoughts?
    She doesn't see it as exceptional customer service. She sees it as the norm now. You created this perception by answering right away and being on call.

    I would say this is your fault.

    I spent a lot of time on customer service myself. I make sure people understand that they may not get an answer on weekends or may have to wait within 24 hours.

    Depending on the person, I will still make it known (I am not available 24.7) when I do answer right away. Most of my customers have been great. I really haven't had any problems with this.

    Then again, if someone demands too much I just refund them so I can concentrate on my other customers.

    Edited: Yeah, what Brian said. lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547070].message }}
    • Interesting. Hadn't thought of it that way.

      I thought it would be perceived as 'Wow! You are going above & beyond what is expected!', not like 'Oh, this is the norm, how come you haven't responded yet?'... (*Especially* as she has seen great results from it, like pretty much everyone else is).

      Hmm........

      Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

      She doesn't see it as exceptional customer service. She sees it as the norm now. You created this perception by answering right away and being on call.

      I would say this is your fault.

      I spent a lot of time on customer service myself. I make sure people understand that they may not get an answer on weekends or may have to wait within 24 hours.

      Depending on the person, I will still make it known (I am not available 24.7) when I do answer right away. Most of my customers have been great. I really haven't had any problems with this.

      Then again, if someone demands too much I just refund them so I can concentrate on my other customers.
      Signature
      Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547083].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom B
        Banned
        Originally Posted by InternetSuccess001 View Post

        Interesting. Hadn't thought of it that way.

        I thought it would be perceived as 'Wow! You are going above & beyond what is expected!', not like 'Oh, this is the norm, how come you haven't responded yet?'... (*Especially* as she has seen great results from it, like pretty much everyone else is).

        Hmm........

        We all perceive things differently. I suspect most of your customers would say it is exceptional. You just got the one person that doesn't respect other people.

        Oh, most people will think customers support is part of the package.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tilanus
    I'm used as a buyer to have to wait for days before I receive an answer and I accept it. I never experienced a seller to answer my question in 1 hour! I can only dream of such a customer support

    But for a seller I don't think you can maintain such a service if you have 1 more customer who behaves like that.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547095].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom B
      Banned
      Originally Posted by tilanus View Post

      I'm used as a buyer to have to wait for days before I receive an answer and I accept it. I never experienced a seller to answer my question in 1 hour! I can only dream of such a customer support

      But for a seller I don't think you can maintain such a service if you have 1 more customer who behaves like that.
      Internet Success, the great news is this response is more common. Most people are pretty happy to get any response in a day or two.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547109].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Thomas Belknap View Post

        Internet Success, the great news is this response is more common. Most people are pretty happy to get any response in a day or two.
        Haha, lol. Well, that is good to hear I just found this particular one (& her response especially in light of the results shes gotten) interesting.
        Signature
        Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author donhx
    This is a problem I have had before. I always want to give the best service possible, but people tend to take you for granted. Here is how I have handled it:

    1. I state my response times on my site, which is always "48 hours or less, except longer weekends or holidays." I usually respond within an hour or so, but when people become demanding, as your customer has, I simply refer to that notice.

    2. Most often I just smile at clients who seem so ungrateful. This is usually the best course of action. Humanity never ceases to amuse.

    3. In extreme cases, when I decide people are more trouble than they are worth to me, I refund their money and tell them they have abused my good-will. I never like to do this, but I have done it 2-3 times in the past. Sometimes you just have to draw a line.

    To me, it is important to give excellent service, and it's easy to do with email. I never let the weird ones spoil it for others. Most people are great with their questions and stop asking them when they gain a little confidence in what they are doing.
    Signature
    Quality content to beat the competition. Personalized Author Services
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author christopher jon
    Think of your customers like children, spoiled children. And you spoiled them.

    Every time she cried for a cookie you were promptly there to give her one. When she wanted a cookie and you didn't immediately reply, she threw a little tantrum.

    Is this customer too demanding, yeah, sounds like it, but she is only demanding the quality of service you've been providing to her in the past.
    Signature
    It buys my product or it gets the hose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrick_Kelly
    As others have said, you kinda set the situation up as she now expects this level of service as the norm as you responded so quickly previously.

    I'd suggest replying to her with a brief outline of your usual response times and let her know how that's going to be from now on.

    Cheers

    Pat
    Signature

    Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3547402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mahal788
    Tell me about it.
    I've been in the customer service industry for years. You could be the nicest, quickest and most competent employee on earth and you'd still have people whining.
    It is impossible to please everybody.
    Signature

    Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3551194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    That kind of situation is not so unusual for me. I help people, often getting little or nothing in monetarily for my efforts, and they're, in turn, often unaware of how much the help I'm providing them would typically cost. Thus, they can be both demanding and not very grateful. I don't care. Sometimes knowing I helped is the big thing, rather than getting gratitude.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3551317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    If your customer support is via email, it's possible she hasn't received them all. Emails get dumped by spam filters, time out in traffic bottlenecks, etc.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3551344].message }}

Trending Topics