Any Playstation People Out There? Be Warned!

by sbucciarel Banned
33 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Strong possibility that all user data and possibly even credit card data has been taken by hackers. Advised to change passwords and even credit/debit cards.

User Account Information Compromised In PlayStation Network Attack
#people #playstation #warned
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    Oh so that explains why my son hasn't been able to play Black Ops online for the last week!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3778478].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Sheryl Polomka View Post

      Oh so that explains why my son hasn't been able to play Black Ops online for the last week!
      Yeah ... the hackers have really done a job on the site, but the worst is the theft of all that users data.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3778542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    oh man I saw this on cnbc today. Not good.

    Good reason not to use credit cards for some things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3778796].message }}
  • I just found out about this a few minutes ago, myself. My son has been complaining about it all week, too, so I finally Googled it. Video game goes down and now he doesn't know what to with himself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3778873].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
      Originally Posted by Bradley J Anderson View Post

      I just found out about this a few minutes ago, myself. My son has been complaining about it all week, too, so I finally Googled it. Video game goes down and now he doesn't know what to with himself.
      I know what you mean. My sons actually put their money together and bought Black Ops last week and came home and were disappointed that they couldn't play online. Then we went away for the easter weekend, came home and they still can't play. I was starting to think they had done something wrong with the settings. They are not happy at all!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    Yea I heard about this too. The hackers have apparantly been able to get a lot of users information and *possibly* get enough information to attempt credit card fraud.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Leonsroarteam
    Its horrible that both playstation network and xbox live both got hacked. I'm a serious gamer and I need my online time darn it > but seriously, everybody that has an account with both providers should change all their info: passwords and credit cards.
    Signature
    Sick and tired of struggling to make any real money online? It's NOT your fault! Plug into a simple, proven system and profit
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779197].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dark witness
      When did xbox live get hacked ? I game a lot, I have both a ps3 and a 360. I don't really play on my ps3 much so the network outage has not been a problem to me. the hacking issue has been going on for some time with this one guy who hacked the ps3 and it's slowly turned into a war of sorts with sony trying to take action and other hackers jumping onboard. Still I have not heard anything about xbox live being hacked. There are people that hack the xbox yes, but not live, not to my knowledge anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3781209].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by dark witness View Post

        When did xbox live get hacked ? I game a lot, I have both a ps3 and a 360. I don't really play on my ps3 much so the network outage has not been a problem to me. the hacking issue has been going on for some time with this one guy who hacked the ps3 and it's slowly turned into a war of sorts with sony trying to take action and other hackers jumping onboard. Still I have not heard anything about xbox live being hacked. There are people that hack the xbox yes, but not live, not to my knowledge anyway.
        This is not the same thing as the George Hotz hacker thing, unless it is retaliation for the Sony's lawsuit against George Hotz. I read that Anonymous and some other groups were very upset with Sony for bringing a lawsuit against Hotz. The lawsuit has been settled out of court, but Anonymous still isn't happy about it.

        http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/ma...ettlement.html

        http://maxgadgets.com/2011/04/04/ano...n-george-hotz/

        As for xbox, this isn't related to xbox that I know of.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3781543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    They're calling it one of the largest breaches of security ever. If you got kids with user names and information such as addresses and a credit card in there, get all your passwords changed for email and banking and everything. I'd even cancel my credit card and get a new number. It's an enormous loss of data and I know the hackers have some reason for taking it, and it's not a good reason.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hashif16
    Oh no..its a sad news ...
    Signature
    Make offer Via Pm:QUALIENT.COM for sale
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zabrina
    Wow, that's a huge one. Thanks for the warning! I have a lot of friends who play Black Ops and I'll eventually be doing it too once I get the time to game more. Off to warn them!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    I don't play my PS3 that much so the outage is not really affecting me, though, I was none to happy to find out that my personal information could be in the hands of only God knows who.

    Regardless the credit card in the system is no longer active so thats reassuring somewhat. Definitely not good PR for Sony right now and I would assume many users will be extremely reluctant to enter personal information going forward. I know for one that I will be using one of those PSN cards to add funds to my account if I ever wish to download something.

    The data hack goes farther reaching than your credit card though. For example if your Netflix account was tied to your PS3 it would be safe to assume that your password and username to access that feature is now in the hands of someone else. So if you use these services it would be a good idea to change passwords quickly before someone else (a hacker) does.

    EDIT: As a side note, this could be far more damaging than the battery melt-down fiasco Sony went through just a few short years ago--and people are still discussing that matter and its been many years since!
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779775].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LindseyRainwater
      This makes me somewhat glad I haven't been able to upgrade to a PS3 yet.

      Thanks for the heads up and warning about CCs. It doesn't affect me, but I'd be freaking out if it did.

      (This is why my husband insists on having LifeLock. There are too many ways people can get to your information!)
      Signature
      Limited Time: Grab the "Pay Your Way" option, and get a complete website with content created - without having to pay the full amount up-front! Pay what you can today, and make payments from there! Click HERE for more info!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3779796].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      EDIT: As a side note, this could be far more damaging than the battery melt-down fiasco Sony went through just a few short years ago--and people are still discussing that matter and its been many years since!
      Or their rootkit "copy protection" scheme...
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author profitsforall
    Hacking happens. I've phoned up my bank and cancelled my debit card.
    (I'm annoyed at myself as I know I should have used a credit card for the additional protection)

    What really gets to me is Sony's complete disregard for their customers. If they suspected that credit card information may have been compromised they should have put an announcement out to that effect on the same day.

    Instead they've let seven days go by.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Shane Roe
    Yea, I just got done reading this on yahoo news.

    Unfortunately, I'm a playstation user right now I can't say the time off the ps3 has been bad though. It's let me gotten some much needed work done

    As for the hackage, it's totally screwed up. Hopefully it's not as bad as they make it seem. Later today I'm going to be calling the bank as suggested and putting my account on "high alert". Can never be to careful, right?

    Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

    I don't play my PS3 that much so the outage is not really affecting me, though, I was none to happy to find out that my personal information could be in the hands of only God knows who.

    Regardless the credit card in the system is no longer active so thats reassuring somewhat. Definitely not good PR for Sony right now and I would assume many users will be extremely reluctant to enter personal information going forward. I know for one that I will be using one of those PSN cards to add funds to my account if I ever wish to download something.

    The data hack goes farther reaching than your credit card though. For example if your Netflix account was tied to your PS3 it would be safe to assume that your password and username to access that feature is now in the hands of someone else. So if you use these services it would be a good idea to change passwords quickly before someone else (a hacker) does.

    EDIT: As a side note, this could be far more damaging than the battery melt-down fiasco Sony went through just a few short years ago--and people are still discussing that matter and its been many years since!
    Luckily for me I didn't set Netflix up until after the hack. My friend however, that's a different story.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780871].message }}
    • Originally Posted by LindseyRainwater View Post

      (This is why my husband insists on having LifeLock. There are too many ways people can get to your information!)
      Yeah, you might want to read up on that. Since the owner of LifeLock started putting his SSN on buses and billboards, his identity has been stolen at least 13 times. :rolleyes:

      LifeLock CEO’s Identity Stolen 13 Times | Threat Level | Wired.com

      Originally Posted by BloggingPro View Post

      The data hack goes farther reaching than your credit card though. For example if your Netflix account was tied to your PS3 it would be safe to assume that your password and username to access that feature is now in the hands of someone else. So if you use these services it would be a good idea to change passwords quickly before someone else (a hacker) does.
      Uh-oh. I forgot all about the Netflix connection. I'll take care of that now. Thanks, BloggingPro.

      Originally Posted by profitsforall View Post

      What really gets to me is Sony's complete disregard for their customers. If they suspected that credit card information may have been compromised they should have put an announcement out to that effect on the same day.

      Instead they've let seven days go by.
      Actually, since the Wikileaks thing got them all P.O.'d, hackers have been running rampant on thousands of big financial sites, and very few of them have announced it publicly. Not all that surprising considering a lot of people would probably start taking their money out of their banks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    I don't even know if we had a credit card hooked up to our Playstation account and if so which credit card I would have used can't log in either to check it
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3780916].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DR's Fynest
      Originally Posted by Sheryl Polomka View Post

      I don't even know if we had a credit card hooked up to our Playstation account and if so which credit card I would have used can't log in either to check it
      Sheryl, avid gamer here.

      You should be able to go though the credit card statements and see if you've bought anything from the PSN or Playstation Store.

      It make take a while depending on how many credit cards you have but it's better to be safe than sorry

      This is why I NEVER sign up for these services with my credit/debit card. I got a prepaid card (NetSpend) that I use for all of this sort of stuff.

      Another tip: Just buy the PSN/XBL cards from Amazon for anything you want to buy. So for example, the yearly subscription to XBL, I get it CHEAPER AND 1 month longer on Amazon than paying directly through the console lol.

      Also, I never felt comfortable with Microsoft having my credit card info on their files for the XBL service because the stories I've read about how difficult they make it to cancel are ridiculous.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3781077].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
        Originally Posted by DR's Fynest View Post

        Sheryl, avid gamer here.

        You should be able to go though the credit card statements and see if you've bought anything from the PSN or Playstation Store.

        It make take a while depending on how many credit cards you have but it's better to be safe than sorry
        Thanks, I talked to my son and he's pretty sure we never put the credit card details onto the account. We definitely haven't purchased anything and I remember one day he wanted to buy a movie for his PSP and we were trying to work out how to add a credit card to the playstation account and from memory we couldn't work it out. Then we went out and I don't think we tried again when we got back.

        I'm 99% sure we didn't put our details in.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3781120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sonicadam123
    I'm glad I haven't got my CC details stored on my psn account.

    My friend has been smoking twice as much as usual since the PSN went down lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3781197].message }}
  • I've checked the embed media and parse text boxes, but it still won't show the video here, but supposedly this is why they hacked them:

    YouTube - Anonymous Explaing why they hacked Ps3. April April 21/22/23/24 2011 Psn Down ERROR CODE 80710A06
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3783577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author waterotter
    CNN reporting over 77 million people affected. They are advising people to cancel their cc and get ID Theft Insurance, if you don't already have it. Be hyper-vigilant,Sony waited 6 days before notifying anyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3784891].message }}
    • Originally Posted by waterotter View Post

      CNN reporting over 77 million people affected. They are advising people to cancel their cc and get ID Theft Insurance, if you don't already have it. Be hyper-vigilant,Sony waited 6 days before notifying anyone.
      So far there has been no confirmation of any cc or personal info theft whatsoever. If what the group says in the video is true, then it's possible that the info is unaffected. It could very well be that Sony is just trying to shift the focus to the 'bad hackers'. Obviously, though, it's not worth taking a chance with.

      BTW, did anyone else notice in the video that the hackers said they released control of the network?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785045].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author waterotter
        Originally Posted by Bradley J Anderson View Post

        So far there has been no confirmation of any cc or personal info theft whatsoever. If what the group says in the video is true, then it's possible that the info is unaffected. It could very well be that Sony is just trying to shift the focus to the 'bad hackers'. Obviously, though, it's not worth taking a chance with.

        BTW, did anyone else notice in the video that the hackers said they released control of the network?
        Brad, I can't watch videos, so don't know what was said. Can only go by the news or what I read.

        Jody
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785147].message }}
        • Originally Posted by waterotter View Post

          Brad, I can't watch videos, so don't know what was said. Can only go by the news or what I read.

          Jody
          For those with slow connections that can't watch the video, the basic breakdown of what was said is this:

          The hackers (who call themselves Anonymous) apologized to the users saying they were not targeting them, they are targeting Sony for not allowing jail-breaking (which releases extra features that usually have to be paid for) and, because they felt bad for the users, they returned control back to Sony a couple of days later until they could figure out a new and better way to screw with Sony without affecting the users.

          They (the hackers) feel that if those features are already built into a system that you have already paid good money for, then you shouldn't have to pay extra to 'unlock' them.

          That's a scaled-down version, but that's the gist of it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785998].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DR's Fynest
            Originally Posted by Bradley J Anderson View Post

            For those with slow connections that can't watch the video, the basic breakdown of what was said is this:

            The hackers (who call themselves Anonymous) apologized to the users saying they were not targeting them, they are targeting Sony for not allowing jail-breaking (which releases extra features that usually have to be paid for) and, because they felt bad for the users, they returned control back to Sony a couple of days later until they could figure out a new and better way to screw with Sony without affecting the users.

            They (the hackers) feel that if those features are already built into a system that you have already paid good money for, then you shouldn't have to pay extra to 'unlock' them.

            That's a scaled-down version, but that's the gist of it.
            I'm sorry, but in my opinion their explanation doesn't justify what they're doing. It's not that simple.

            While I am an avid tech enthusiast, and I'm the type that LOVES the jailbreak on the iPhone because it really lets the device work to it's fullest potential, the fact of the matter is that it's Apple's product. They design it however they want and they include whatever they want on it.

            Do I and millions of other iPhone users wish that the device came with these capabilities out of the box? You betcha! But Apple doesn't want it. Ultimately it's their call.

            Same thing here with Sony and the PS3. Someone finally found a way to run copied games (the Hotz exploit) and Sony is now playing catch-up with the hackers. The same thing happened all throughout the life of the original PSP. (In all honesty though, I think the homebrew community is what actually made the PSP sell as well as it did.)

            Back to the PS3... Sony doesn't want the device to do everything it is capable of doing. Obviously they have their reason for this (be it security loopholes or simple greed for more $$$.)

            I own an Xbox 360 as well and I WISH I had an internet browser on it. Sometimes my PC is not on but my TV and Xbox are... It would be handy to check websites and stuff really quick without having to turn on the PC. Microsoft could have EASILY added a browser by now. Why don't they? Again, it's THEIR product. Yes, I bought it and "own" it, but I bought it KNOWING what it had and what it DIDN'T have. I still think it's real cheap of them to not offer something so basic when even the Wii has a basic browser LOL. In the end though, I bought the console for the games.

            Lastly, their example of Microsoft only allowing users to access the web via Internet Explorer and not giving you the option to use Firefox or Chrome doesn't even make sense. Windows is a computer OS. IF something like that happened, guess what? Either you put up with it OR you go to the competition! Simple Linux has some excellent 110% FREE distros that people could experiment with if something like that ever happened

            So IMO that excuse they provide in the video is not a valid one - even if they're doing it for the "gamers" as they say. Looks like they're causing much more harm than good.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pmbrent
    Oh that's why the Playstation Network is down...You would think a company that large would have better security for users information.
    Signature
    Who Else Wants to Learn Everything About QR Codes AND How to Make From Them?

    Special WSO Price!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    Just received an email from Sony this morning. Regarding credit card they say:

    While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3785931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Da Kid
    So if I play black ops on xbox should I be worried?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3786194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy Hart
    They originally denied it but then this comment on thier facebook page pretty much accepts responsabilty:
    Take a break from online gaming for a while.....it will help your skills, your health, and your emotional levels, which by the way are a bit out of order if they are being shackled by the PSN being down. We have no qualms about our actions, even though it may affect fellow anonymous or supporters... we hope they understand the bigger picture.
    Source : Anonymous - Wall | Facebook
    Signature

    I'm On Google + ------------- and of course Also On Twitter

    "The only thing thats keeping you from getting what you want is the story you keep telling yourself about why you can't have it"- Tony Robbins

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3792839].message }}

Trending Topics