LOL @ Checking Out IM "Gurus" Houses On Google Earth!

69 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Hey guys,

Just thought I would share something a little funny, a lot of the self proclaimed "gurus" at internet marketing will send you email after email (mostly landing in your junk box).

But isn't it funny when you see them say "follow the exact formula I am sharing here and you will be a millionaire!" - Then you check out their address from their PayPal address, and well, why would a millionaire own a pretty average house or flat?

HAHA

Not always the case but worth it to check if they are the real deal!
#checking #earth #google #gurus #houses #lol
  • Profile picture of the author Wilding
    I think that's because they are smart people. I know a few millionaires who live the same way. Big flashy houses and toys are totally overrated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4306757].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      We've been down this road before and I'm sick of it.

      I live in a $130,000 home and quite content with it.

      Why do I need more just because I can afford it? For what? For 2 people? How
      many rooms could we possibly need?

      Plus, I hate moving. I'd rather live in a ditch than have to pack up all this
      sh*t and move.

      Plus, most of the money I make goes towards things that have nothing to do
      with the size of my home, such as my home recording studio that I have
      spent 10s of thousands of dollars on or on my Magic The Gathering collection
      which is now about 35,000 cards and features Black Lotus and the whole
      power 9 collection.

      Please, don't judge the "gurus" by the size of their homes.

      It would be the same as judging a man by the size of his penis.

      Just because it's big doesn't mean he knows how to use it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4306869].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post


        It would be the same as judging a man by the size of his penis.

        Just because it's big doesn't mean he knows how to use it.
        WTF!??!

        I think your post was fine and had made sense until you inserted a penis into it.

        Signature

        :)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4309014].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          If anything I'd be building a smaller house then what I have now.
          But the house on the inside and out would be what I consider luxury.
          Something like this would work .
          Earth House by Peter Vetsch
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4309115].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        We've been down this road before and I'm sick of it.

        I live in a $130,000 home and quite content with it.

        I am with you Steven.
        In 1957, Warren Buffett had three partnerships operating the entire year. He purchased a five-bedroom stucco house in Omaha, where he still lives, for $31,500.

        In 2008 he was ranked by Forbes as the richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of approximately US$62 billion. In 2009, after donating billions of dollars to charity, Buffett was ranked as the second richest man in the United States with a net worth of US$37 billion with only Bill Gates ranked higher than Buffett. His net worth is up to $47 billion in the past 12 months.

        I live in a $35,000 mobile home in the plains of Oklahoma. I own the house, not the land.

        I bought the house in early 2003, when I was just starting to make money online. I am 8 years into a 15-year loan, and I am one-year ahead on my payments. The house is a 1999 model that we bought at a repossession auction.

        As long as my kids continue to be young enough to believe that they are still willing to get their butts beat for breaking windows, body slamming each other into walls and leaving body imprints in the sheet rock, and drawing on walls with permanent magic marker, then I am perfectly content to continue to live in the house that we do live in.

        I much prefer them not to do such things, but I think they got their brains from my wife's side of the family.

        So long as they continue to tear up the house, I'd prefer they tear up a $35,000 house rather than a $130,000 house.



        p.s. I guess I have a different success measuring stick than some folks, because I measure financial success in those things I can afford to do, not in where I live or what I drive.


        p.p.s. I figured I'd put it on the table, because here a while back, I saw someone smearing me on another website on the basis of me "being a loser who lives in my momma's basement, because I don't pay property taxes in Payne County, Oklahoma."

        For the record, I do pay property taxes in Payne County, but not on the land that I don't own. :p


        p.p.p.s. To the OP. I guess that my lifestyle choices mean that I could never be the real deal in your book. So be it.
        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4311405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redrabbitt67
    I agree with Steve. I've had the big house, pool, etc., but always low on liquidity. Felt awful. Now I've got smaller digs, spend less money and got more in the bank. Feel much better.

    These are not the times to be putting money into expensive fixed assets. I'd much rather see more CDs in my bank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4307306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author n1985
    hahaha that is so hilarious dan, not saying guru are liars but man i do get tonne of rubbish in my junk mail box every day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4307634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
    Originally Posted by dadamson View Post

    Hey guys,

    Just thought I would share something a little funny, a lot of the self proclaimed "gurus" at internet marketing will send you email after email (mostly landing in your junk box).
    Good timing. I'm in the process of sending most of them there because that's all they are: total garbage email that is nothing but pure spam. This was prompted after getting the same spam e-mail from the same jack off who titles each e-mail "HELP NEEDED" and then repeats his same tired line, with a link to whatever 20 page squeeze he's promoting that day. Junk mail is too kind. Its really more deserving of a phishing tag as it reminds me of those lame Nigerian scam e-mails that were going around for a few years before better spam filters weaned them out completely.

    If this type of crap is the best a "Guru" can pull off with his list, then "Guru" is a very over-rated and misused title. And I suspect the house you are seeing is the one owned by their parents while they dwell in the basement down below.

    Note that I'm not lumping them all into the same category (nor has the OP). But until proven otherwise, I'm going to continue to assume that most are posers.

    -Spyder
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4308789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    Hmm... perception is reality man, so I can kind of see this to a point. However, what if made $1000+ online every month, lived in a large beautiful house, but had three room-mates? What would you think then? Just because one makes money online (or through a J.O.B) doesn't mean they are supposed to spend money frivolously.

    Guru: An influential teacher or popular expert.

    Where exactly does it say in the definition that there is a housing or monetary requirement?

    The expectation that Guru's are supposed to live a Rock star life style is the biggest misconception about our industry. Hell for me, Internet Marketing is just side income. Mad money of sorts--so that I don't have to rely on credit cards.

    Not saying I'm a guru, but I am well versed with many concepts.

    There is no denying that many people make money online by selling products on how to make money online, however, there are also some of us that are trying to build legitimate businesses (or in my case just make more money per month).

    Regardless, I use a PO Box for my PayPal account, so have fun finding me!
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4309103].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmurphy
    Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and you'll quickly find out why a house is not always an "asset" or something you should put a ton of money into.
    Signature
    Looking for a new, growing forum to join? Check out the Marketing Forums!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310019].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post

      Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and you'll quickly find out why a house is not always an "asset" or something you should put a ton of money into.
      Don't need a book, just look at the housing market.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310060].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dmurphy
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        Don't need a book, just look at the housing market.
        Even better.
        Signature
        Looking for a new, growing forum to join? Check out the Marketing Forums!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310070].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author QuickSurf
          The only thing I have a problem with is when their sales copy has photos of stuff that's "their's" that I guarantee 100% isn't. Heck some of them have been dumb enough to use the same houses in their copy LOL. I caught one dingbat on here that showed "his" Lambo, of which I happen to know that dealer and it wasn't his car and just used a photo from their site where they take all their pics at. So many have been caught doing that. I've even seen "gurus" use concept cars in their photos and how they can have it too... really, you mean I can have the car that's never made production lol.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310164].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
            I must have three stories to facilitate 'the walling up in the attic' of my better halfs relatives....but, do take note of the Ferrari in the driveway. (adsense)


            NOT Photoshopped
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310618].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
            While I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Internet marketers hype up their wealth, I know millionaires who live in humble homes. One of them is a landlord who owns huge chunks of real estate of a major city, including several commercial properties, and doesn't even go to restaurants -- they even grow their own vegetables in their tiny backyard rather than buy them. I'm not sure, but that may be the case with most millionaires. Part of how some people become millionaires is by saving their money.
            Signature

            Project HERE.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310622].message }}
      • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312903].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          If you try to find my house on google earth - you'll think I live in a tree house. The entire house is invisible under the trees. I like it that way!
          Signature
          Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

          Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4313015].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ThomM
            Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

            If you try to find my house on google earth - you'll think I live in a tree house. The entire house is invisible under the trees. I like it that way!
            Kay I discovered the street view of my house is at least 4 years old.
            It shows my buddies junk truck in the front yard and it was during a time when I was trying to tick off a neighbor by not mowing my lawn
            Signature

            Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
            Getting old ain't for sissy's
            As you are I was, as I am you will be
            You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319347].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author adadsreview
              Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post


              I live in a $130,000 home and quite content with it.

              Why do I need more just because I can afford it? For what? For 2 people? How many rooms could we possibly need?

              Plus, I hate moving. I'd rather live in a ditch than have to pack up all this
              sh*t and move.

              Plus, most of the money I make goes towards things that have nothing to do
              with the size of my home, such as my home recording studio that I have
              spent 10s of thousands of dollars on or on my Magic The Gathering collection
              which is now about 35,000 cards and features Black Lotus and the whole
              power 9 collection.

              Please, don't judge the "gurus" by the size of their homes.
              Steve, I cracked up when I read your reply to this thread & I couldn't agree more... My wife & I have lived a modest lifestyle for years & while I'm not a guru in the IM world (don't think I want to be either ), I feel our success has been living a debt free lifestyle and this has allowed us to do the things that we enjoy most like traveling and meeting new and interesting people.

              We lived in a 2 bdrm condo for years and could have had lived in a nice home but chose not to. We were happy where we lived and only recently did we buy our dream home. Nevertheless, to be honest... I'm ready to move back into a condo - less maintenance lol....

              Anyway, thanks for the laugh.... Cheers!

              Rob

              Originally Posted by jacktackett View Post

              Security - Stalker!!!!!

              j/k - if you want a good description explanation of real wealth in America then read The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and William Danko. A giant house and fancy cars do not always indicate great wealth....

              --Jack
              Again, couldn't agree more Jack... BTW, that's a great book and it's in my library. I've personally known a few frugal multi-millionaires that you would have never known they were wealthy & they were happy with just what they had--modest house, car, clothing, etc...

              Even though my wife and I recently bought our dream home (we lived in a 2 bdrm condo for 11 years between my overseas assignments), I still drive an old pickup & she has a 6 year old Volvo. However, when we wake up in the AM, we really don't care what the price of gas is or what the market is doing and I can tell you that's a great feeling!

              Thanks for sharing!

              Rob

              Originally Posted by tpw View Post

              I am with you Steven.
              In 1957, Warren Buffett had three partnerships operating the entire year. He purchased a five-bedroom stucco house in Omaha, where he still lives, for $31,500.

              In 2008 he was ranked by Forbes as the richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of approximately US$62 billion. In 2009, after donating billions of dollars to charity, Buffett was ranked as the second richest man in the United States with a net worth of US$37 billion with only Bill Gates ranked higher than Buffett. His net worth is up to $47 billion in the past 12 months.
              I live in a $35,000 mobile home in the plains of Oklahoma. I own the house, not the land.

              I bought the house in early 2003, when I was just starting to make money online. I am 8 years into a 15-year loan, and I am one-year ahead on my payments. The house is a 1999 model that we bought at a repossession auction.

              As long as my kids continue to be young enough to believe that they are still willing to get their butts beat for breaking windows, body slamming each other into walls and leaving body imprints in the sheet rock, and drawing on walls with permanent magic marker, then I am perfectly content to continue to live in the house that we do live in.

              I much prefer them not to do such things, but I think they got their brains from my wife's side of the family.

              So long as they continue to tear up the house, I'd prefer they tear up a $35,000 house rather than a $130,000 house.
              TPW,

              Loved your response and "two thumbs" up to you! Quote: "You'd prefer your children to tear up a 35k house rather than a 130k house" - classic lol! I'll drink to that tonight... Cheers!

              Rob

              Originally Posted by John Durham View Post


              I live in a 260k one, and its beautiful enough inside to live the rest of my life in, unless I change my mind and want something different.

              A 260k home where I live would cost a million probably on the west coast... go ahead and google me if you want to be an idiot... 4203 cherokee rd rogers arkansas.

              2200 square feet, and very ample and beautiful, with all the ammenities... granite counter tops...stone and wood floors... the whole deal. Vaulted cielings...

              You dont have to have a million dollar home to have a GREAT home that makes you happy....
              John,

              So true! Couldn't have said it better myself... Someone else mentioned (sorry for not quoting that person) not to judge a book by it's cover - as the old saying goes...

              My wife and I just recently purchased our home (back in Nov. 10) however before that we lived in a modest condo for years. We've believed and adhered to the "Dave Ramsey" philosophy of living debt free and this was before he was known as a financial guru. As a result, we can now "live like no other" as Dave would say.

              While serving in the USMC I had a platoon SGT who was frugal & very smart with his limited income. Before long he had 16 investment properties and owned 5 of them free and clear. However, he still lived among his troops and you would have never known that he was making a heck of a lot more money than his USMC pay.

              Thumbs up and thanks for sharing... Cheers!

              Rob
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4410706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Instead of guru houses, how about some guru horses?

    Signature
    Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
    Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310666].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      Instead of guru houses, how about some guru horses?
      Ok, sure

      Signature

      :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacktackett
    Security - Stalker!!!!!

    j/k - if you want a good description explanation of real wealth in America then read The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and William Danko. A giant house and fancy cars do not always indicate great wealth....

    --Jack
    Signature
    Let's get Tim the kidney he needs!HELP Tim
    Mega Monster WSO for KimW http://ow.ly/4JdHm


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310777].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by jacktackett View Post

      Security - Stalker!!!!!

      j/k - if you want a good description explanation of real wealth in America then read The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and William Danko. A giant house and fancy cars do not always indicate great wealth....

      --Jack
      I've got two friends that are millionaires.
      You couldn't tell by looking at them or their properties that they had a quarter let alone a million bucks.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4310897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Originally Posted by dadamson View Post

    Then you check out their address from their PayPal address, and well, why would a millionaire own a pretty average house or flat?

    HAHA

    Not always the case but worth it to check if they are the real deal!

    I'm sure you've heard the expression, "You can't judge a book buy its cover." That applies to people and their houses, too.

    A few decades ago I used to be part of a team that provided security for a former Wisconsin governor. He was seriously rich. I made something like $12 an hour. My house was nicer than his, IMO.

    Of course, he also had a winter home in the south, a cabin on a lake up north, and who knows what else. You'd never know that from Google Earth. The Millionaire Next Door that Jack Tackett recommended will paint a much better picture of what the average millionaire is like. Hint: most are not about a lavish lifestyle.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4311138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
      I'm in the process of sending most of them there because that's all they are: total garbage email that is nothing but pure spam.
      I swear to God I'm going to do a free WSO called

      How to Banish the Junk Mail to No Man's Land in One Easy Click"

      Inside the PDF will be one screenshot showing an UNSUBSCRIBE link.

      Sheeesh.
      Signature
      Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
      Fast & Easy Content Creation
      ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4311246].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
        Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

        I swear to God I'm going to do a free WSO called

        How to Banish the Junk Mail to No Man's Land in One Easy Click"

        Inside the PDF will be one screenshot showing an UNSUBSCRIBE link.

        Sheeesh.
        Can I get a review copy?
        Signature

        Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4311283].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
        Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

        I swear to God I'm going to do a free WSO called

        How to Banish the Junk Mail to No Man's Land in One Easy Click"

        Inside the PDF will be one screenshot showing an UNSUBSCRIBE link.

        Sheeesh.
        That's a curtsey that a spammer does not deserve. A daily e-mail that's the exact same thing as the one the day before is spam. E-mailing me 3 newsletters in 2 days is spamming my inbox, especially when its as above and the only thing different is the subject. And the worst offenders: those who sell my e-mail to places offering services like Asian Dating which has nothing to do with what I opted in for.

        Curtsey is repaid in kind, and if its just a case of my not wanting the newsletter because of the content and not because its spam I simply opt out. SPAMMING my inbox is obnoxious and misuse of the e-mail address, and it gets treated in kind by reporting it as spam.

        G-Mail also takes care of the opt-out at the same time, and the process takes 2 clicks total.

        If you're volunteering to do a WSO, why not make it something useful that explains how not to piss your subscribers off by being an idiot spammer. Judging by the 90%+ rate of those misusing opt ins to spam their subscribers, it should be WSO of the year material.

        P.S. Before being a jack ass by responding to a post by talking down to the person you're replying to like they're a 2 year old, at least make an attempt to understand the actual problem they're describing rather than going for the cheap shot that misses the point entirely.

        -Spyder
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312105].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kay King
          Thom - Those are some seriously fantastic houses!!! ...Though I'd prefer to have just one without neighbors:p

          Why waste time trying to see who lives where? The most gorgeous house I've been in would look like a pretty standard small ranch on google earth. That's because the owner is wealthy and doesn't care to flaunt it. The house looks pretty normal - until you get inside. Then it's a different story.

          If you buy more stuff or fancier houses every time you make more money - you stay in the same position...just in a bigger place.

          I always think the more things you own, the more stuff you have to take care of. Not my goal.
          Signature
          Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

          Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312191].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
          Originally Posted by Spyder77 View Post

          If you're volunteering to do a WSO, why not make it something useful that explains how not to piss your subscribers off by being an idiot spammer. Judging by the 90%+ rate of those misusing opt ins to spam their subscribers, it should be WSO of the year material.

          P.S. Before being a jack ass by responding to a post by talking down to the person you're replying to like they're a 2 year old, at least make an attempt to understand the actual problem they're describing rather than going for the cheap shot that misses the point entirely.

          -Spyder
          First, a WSO such as you suggest is not going to help. Those who "get it" will not be abusing their lists.

          Second, I don't care if you like the content you get sent, if you signed up for it, it is NOT spam. That is what the unsubscribe button is for. If more people used that link instead of coming in here bitching about it, perhaps the list abusers would actually realize there is a problem.

          Third, if you don't like my posts, tough. You don't have to. Put me on your ignore list - whatever. I wasn't even talking to you, I don't believe, so put your Dark Avenger cape back in the closet and get over yourself.
          Signature
          Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
          Fast & Easy Content Creation
          ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312529].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
            Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

            First, a WSO such as you suggest is not going to help. Those who "get it" will not be abusing their lists.

            Second, I don't care if you like the content you get sent, if you signed up for it, it is NOT spam. That is what the unsubscribe button is for. If more people used that link instead of coming in here bitching about it, perhaps the list abusers would actually realize there is a problem.

            Third, if you don't like my posts, tough. You don't have to. Put me on your ignore list - whatever. I wasn't even talking to you, I don't believe, so put your Dark Avenger cape back in the closet and get over yourself.
            I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, so here it is, point by point:

            1. Its about as useful as the WSO you proposed to begin with as a "solution" aimed at ridiculing a post that you missed the point of entirely.

            2. You're still missing the point. Do you actually read what you reply to or is it just a comprehension problem? My opting in to a newsletter is NOT consent to sell my e-mail address, nor is it consenting to bombard my email box with daily mail at the rate of 2 per day sometimes. That IS spam and an opt-in does not equal permission to spam my inbox. I ALREADY stated that if it was simply an issue with the CONTENT of the e-mail then I simply opt out. This goes back to the reading comprehension problem you're putting on display here.

            3. Your post quoted mine and your reply was addressed to that quote. Therefore it was addressed to me. I'm not going to ignore you because then I just give you license to ridicule me out of context without my being aware of it, and I'm not going to do that. Instead I'll keep you off the ignore list and hope you find easier game to use as fodder for your ridicule before mistaking a sub-2,000 post count for stupidity or inexperience with the net and forums, and directing it at me.

            -Spyder
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312610].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
              My mistake on the last point. I did not go back to see who it was when I responded last. Sorry about that.

              Did I piss in your wheaties in a past life or something? You seem to have blown things completely out of proportion to my admittedly snarky initial remark.

              My reading comprehension is just fine - thanks for the concern. And, quite frankly, I didn't even look at your post count until you mentioned it. Post count means nothing, nor does time on this forum, with the exception of knowing how the community functions.

              I get that you don't like receiving multiple emails in a day. However, your dislike does not make them spam. Someone selling your email, that's absolutely spam. But whether or not you like the frequency of the emails you signed up for does not actually make them spam.

              That was the point that I was trying to make. The law defines spam, not our personal likes and dislikes. Unsubscribing would make the point to the marketer, if enough did so. Sending them to the spam box does not send a message because the marketer usually has no way of knowing that you did that intentionally.
              Signature
              Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
              Fast & Easy Content Creation
              ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312698].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
                Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

                My mistake on the last point. I did not go back to see who it was when I responded last. Sorry about that.

                Did I piss in your wheaties in a past life or something? You seem to have blown things completely out of proportion to my admittedly snarky initial remark.

                My reading comprehension is just fine - thanks for the concern. And, quite frankly, I didn't even look at your post count until you mentioned it. Post count means nothing, nor does time on this forum, with the exception of knowing how the community functions.

                I get that you don't like receiving multiple emails in a day. However, your dislike does not make them spam. Someone selling your email, that's absolutely spam. But whether or not you like the frequency of the emails you signed up for does not actually make them spam.

                That was the point that I was trying to make. The law defines spam, not our personal likes and dislikes. Unsubscribing would make the point to the marketer, if enough did so. Sending them to the spam box does not send a message because the marketer usually has no way of knowing that you did that intentionally.
                Fair enough, I'm okay to leave it there. I haven't ventured into Past Life Regression to know whether you pissed in my Wheaties in a former life or not, but if I ever explore it and get into that niche, I'll fill you in on the details then.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312793].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
          Originally Posted by Spyder77 View Post

          That's a curtsey that a spammer does not deserve. A daily e-mail that's the exact same thing as the one the day before is spam. E-mailing me 3 newsletters in 2 days is spamming my inbox, especially when its as above and the only thing different is the subject.
          If you subscribed to it, it's not spam. If you decide you no longer want to be on the list, you can hit the unsubscribe button. Then, you won't get those messages anymore.

          Now, if they continue to send you messages even though you unsubscribed, then you can call them spammers. Also, if they sell your eMail (unless you agreed to that when you signed up), you can call them spammers.

          But, receiving mail from an opt-in list that you opted-in to is not spam, even if you don't like the content anymore.
          Signature

          Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

          Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312553].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Nanaswhimsy
        Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

        I swear to God I'm going to do a free WSO called

        How to Banish the Junk Mail to No Man's Land in One Easy Click"

        Inside the PDF will be one screenshot showing an UNSUBSCRIBE link.

        Sheeesh.
        Love it! Even better offer it for a buck! Bet you would make a mint!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4408828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MissLauraCatella
    Originally Posted by dadamson View Post

    Hey guys,

    Just thought I would share something a little funny, a lot of the self proclaimed "gurus" at internet marketing will send you email after email (mostly landing in your junk box).

    But isn't it funny when you see them say "follow the exact formula I am sharing here and you will be a millionaire!" - Then you check out their address from their PayPal address, and well, why would a millionaire own a pretty average house or flat?

    HAHA

    Not always the case but worth it to check if they are the real deal!
    And how much money did doing that make you?

    For your ballin' house?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4311291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    This is a small minded thread to post. I know a couple of multi millionaires that live in 150k homes... Jokes on the OP here. I live in a 260k one, and its beautiful enough inside to live the rest of my life in, unless I change my mind and want something different.

    A 260k home where I live would cost a million probably on the west coast... go ahead and google me if you want to be an idiot... 4203 cherokee rd rogers arkansas.

    2200 square feet, and very ample and beautiful, with all the ammenities... granite counter tops...stone and wood floors... the whole deal. Vaulted cielings...

    You dont have to have a million dollar home to have a GREAT home that makes you happy....

    Like Steve W... I get sick of this small minded subject. Its very immature to post things like this.

    Ps. In this day and age, if a person can even afford a 100k home or a 50k one, and they do it ALL from working for themselves, then they are smarter than the people "gawking at them" and wishing they could figure out how to work for themselves without a boss... I give anyone one props who can make a living working for themselves PERIOD, instead of depending on a boss for their creation.

    Check them oput to see if they are the "real deal"? Lol... That thought process is soo "high school".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      This is a small minded thread to post. I know a couple of multi millionaires that live in 150k homes... Jokes on the OP here. I live in a 260k one, and its beautiful enough inside to live the rest of my life in, unless I change my mind and want something different.

      A 260k home where I live would cost a million probably on the west coast... go ahead and google me if you want to be an idiot... snip

      2200 square feet, and very ample and beautiful, with all the ammenities... granite counter tops...stone and wood floors... the whole deal. Vaulted cielings...

      You dont have to have a million dollar home to have a GREAT home that makes you happy....

      Like Steve W... I get sick of this small minded subject. Its very immature to post things like this.

      Ps. In this day and age, if a person can even afford a 100k home or a 50k one, and they do it ALL from working for themselves, then they are smarter than you...sitting here making fun of them and wishing you could figure out how to work for yourself... I give anyone one props who can make a living working for themselves PERIOD, instead of depending on a boss for their creation.

      You really should cover up faster getting out of the shower there.... John

      I may be blind for life.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312298].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post

        You really should cover up faster getting out of the shower there.... John

        I may be blind for life.
        Oops, need better blinds...!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312326].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    Haha settle down guys

    This was just meant to be a short amusing observation, in no way am I trying to generalize or stereotype anyone.

    If I was a millionaire I know I wouldn't get there by buying fast cars and big houses lol.

    I think IM is about living a comfortable and fulfilling lifestyle not bound by time or space. That's as simple as it gets
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4312754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dagaul101
    It's unfortunate but many IM still believe in the "Fake it till you claim it" school
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4313614].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
      Originally Posted by dagaul101 View Post

      It's unfortunate but many IM still believe in the "Fake it till you claim it" school
      If they're in the IM niche that's an easy (though not terribly original or creative) approach to take that lends itself to that niche.

      That's what I like about self-help niches (or one of the things): I'm not selling prosperity. I keep it authentic and real, and stick to subjects I know that are also of high commercial intent, so no faking it is needed. There is also something distasteful about that ethically and from the POV of karma.

      I agree with the many others who've stated their modest homes are meaningless in terms of any kind of reflection on their income. If anything it tells me they're people of high self-esteem who don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone through superficial money flashing.

      And I take the opposite POV toward those who "proof" their pitch with pictures of sports cars, yachts, or luxury mansions that used only for promoting their pitch. Comparisons to ad copy for big business could me made but doesn't resonate with me and I don't believe the comparison valid.

      IMHO someone who resorts to using fake possessions to proof their pitch about their millions of income they make and as proof of the glamorous lifestyle that they are not in fact leading, they are one or more of the following:

      1) pathological narcissists;
      2) of very low self-esteem/self-worth
      3) pitifully desperate in a way that earns no pity from me;
      4) morally and/or intellectually bankrupt

      Harsh? Maybe. Its behaviour I would associate with fleecing a widow out of her social security on a BS promise without a second thought, so if its harsh I pretty much don't care. Its behaviour that gives IM a bad name and reflects on everyone else who isn't resorting to these tactics.

      -Spyder
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4314308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cordyceps75
    It's according to the person mate.

    I have a friend that make more than $10k per month from IM, he just rent apartment. he don't want to buy any cars or motorcycle, just using taxi when he want to go.

    So, according to the people mate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4314412].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    First of all I think stalkers are creepy - just because someone has some celebrity it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to have privacy. People need to get a life and mind their own business.

    I'll bet plenty of people use a P.O.Box, or 'alternative' address, etc. on the Internet. If not I bet they are kicking themselves now with Google Earth and other things that are a complete invasion of privacy.

    It is also entirely possible that even millionaires will live in average dwellings - most of the ones I have known are not extravagant or gawdy and I think that is one reason they have money - because they don't spend it like 'there is no tomorrow'. They lease out the good real estate, and see it as an investment or source of income. They continue to live frugally.

    In fact some I have known are rather 'cheap' - One guy who is a real estate millionaire I know, will drive all the way across town to get the generic diet soda - as if that extra quarter will make or break him.

    The point is people with money usually have investments and while they are worth millions 'on paper' (property,etc) it doesn't mean they have lots of 'liquid' income and even if they do they don't spend it necessarily.

    Either way - if they buy toys or not - it is their business - having a bunch of stuff doesn't mean anything either way - the toys you see may be gotten by credit, mortgages, loans, etc and they are in debt up to their ears. This is not wealth.

    So as they say 'you can't judge a book by its cover'.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4316232].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
      Originally Posted by Patrician View Post

      <snip>

      I'll bet plenty of people use a P.O.Box, or 'alternative' address, etc. on the Internet. If not I bet they are kicking themselves now with Google Earth and other things that are a complete invasion of privacy.<snip>

      Google has become a vast and powerful entity that permeates society, with great power and influence, setting its arbitrary rules, accountable to no one. It invades privacy collecting photos of your home or workplace for anyone to see (including stalkers, serial killers, perverts), scoffs at copyright such as harvesting copyright images. It can make or break most internet marketers.
      Signature

      Project HERE.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4316584].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
        Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

        Google has become a vast and powerful entity that permeates society, with great power and influence, setting its arbitrary rules, accountable to no one. It invades privacy collecting photos of your home or workplace for anyone to see (including stalkers, serial killers, perverts), scoffs at copyright such as harvesting copyright images. It can make or break most internet marketers.

        Google = 10 to the power of 100..
        Ironic isn't it?

        Far, far too much data and the resulting power.

        I'd rather believe in a benevolent Santa.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4317231].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
      Originally Posted by Patrician View Post

      First of all I think stalkers are creepy - just because someone has some celebrity it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to have privacy. People need to get a life and mind their own business.

      I'll bet plenty of people use a P.O.Box, or 'alternative' address, etc. on the Internet. If not I bet they are kicking themselves now with Google Earth and other things that are a complete invasion of privacy.
      I use WHOIS GUARD on the domains I buy from Name Cheap. I'm in the process of moving and my address is changing to a P.O. Box because there's no other mail delivery there (small town). Its not a permanent move, but the P.O. Box mail delivery system will follow me for exactly that reason.

      No celebrity factor here, its just the fact that there are too many freaks with issues online (and offline) to provide them a map and instructions to where I live. In addictions I saw enough psychopathic personalty types (not because addicts are psychopaths, but because psychopaths are more likely to develop substance abuse issues and wind up in treatment facilities... or prison... and usually back and forth from one to the other) to know the risks involved.

      Maybe they are slight, but we took them serious enough there at we had a no last name policy, and no schedule or contact information disclosure policy. Management was the exception, because they did just that - manage.

      The OP's intent was harmless enough, but read the news and you'll see how readily some develop these obsessions over things that make absolutely no sense to anyone but them - and which they take deadly serious (and sometimes to that degree, while other times short of it while still playing enough havoc to make it worthwhile to pre-emptively nip it in the bud).

      -Spyder
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    @ Thunderbird and Road Dog,

    Its great that we have reached such technical sophistication... That doesnt mean we should be allowed to use it though, randomly. I could pat the guy on the back that made the atom Bomb, and say "Wow, you really forwarded technology, its good that we know this can exist...", But that doesnt mean everyone should have one in their home at their disposal.

    Google needs to be regulated. Im sure they are responsible for more stalkers than we can imagine. Talk about selling ammo to the enemy!

    Makes you want to build a house in the woods like Kay!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4317455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Miranda
    The world loves to judge a person by the type of car they drive, their house or their clothes. This is not a good way to look at other people as some of the richest people don't show it. Why do they need to show it off? Quite the opposite ... the people you see with the flashy cars and houses usually have 100k in debt and $0 in the bank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4317529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barry500
    Agree with everyone re what success means etc - I would rather stay cash than flash and more likely to keep re-investing in relatively successful offline business. However there are still those who wrap their sales copy in fake it until you make it type sales copy..need to be aware these guys who have only made money telling others how t make money. There again if you simply pay me $1million bucks tonight I will show you a way of getting $1m from a forum post....Amusing thread though
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4317669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    While I agree with a lot of sentiments here, it is important not to forget that

    There is a very strong correlation between income and the type of housing that once lives in

    It is true that people with high incomes may choose to live in ordinary housing. But still there are limits. You are not going to see Warren Buffet living in a slum.

    But it is very rare for people with low incomes to live in an expensive house unless they are in the process of bankruptcy.

    Therefore the fact that one lives in an ordinary may not mean that much, but living in a rich neighborhood is likely to mean something.

    The truth of the matter is that appearances count and many people do look at this. Therefore you must be very careful in how you present yourself or your business.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Spyder77
      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      While I agree with a lot of sentiments here, it is important not to forget that

      There is a very strong correlation between income and the type of housing that once lives in

      It is true that people with high incomes may choose to live in ordinary housing. But still there are limits. You are not going to see Warren Buffet living in a slum.

      But it is very rare for people with low incomes to live in an expensive house unless they are in the process of bankruptcy.

      Therefore the fact that one lives in an ordinary may not mean that much, but living in a rich neighborhood is likely to mean something.

      The truth of the matter is that appearances count and many people do look at this. Therefore you must be very careful in how you present yourself or your business.
      Derek, the only truth in this is in the extreme examples. No, you won't find Bill Gates living in a slum, nor will you find someone getting by on 15k a year living in a McMansion. But generalizing beyond that is really not a good idea.

      Fact: many extremely rich people are extremely thrifty. None of their money is on display because its invested in portfolio you can't see from the car they drive or the house they build.

      Fact: many people in Western nations (I'm not going to say many people in the USA because its not unique to the US by any stretch) use flashy displays of wealth to prop up their own ego. Or because they're poor with money management, or don't realize the difference between wealth building and superficial displays of wealth to impress friends, neighbours, people they're seeking to attract, or for a whole other variety of reasons. What do you think sparked the S&L crisis? It wasn't just relaxed lending rules, it was the many people willing to borrow far beyond their means to lead (display) a lifestyle they truly couldn't afford.

      Its a flawed line of reasoning to assume, outside the extremes, that there is "a strong correlation" between income and flashy displays of wealth.

      And one final point: correlation is a statistical term that has use in different types of research as a tool to apply an inference from research to test a hypothesis. The very first thing you learn about correlation is that correlation != causation. You are using stereotypes and empty statments wrapped around a statistical term which only demonstrates you shouldn't be using words whose meaning you have no grasp on as a basis to stereotype.

      Note that when you put your statement in bold like that then you really catch attention - it may not be what you had in mind, but there it is.

      -Spyder
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319491].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      <snip>
      Therefore the fact that one lives in an ordinary may not mean that much, but living in a rich neighborhood is likely to mean something.<snip>
      It is evidence in a certain direction, yes, but foreclosures on expensive homes has been on the rise. A friend of mine used to be a bodyguard for wealthy and powerful people. More than once, he saw apparently wealthy people lose everything in one fell swoop, just by getting fired. They were living pay check to pay check to maintain their exorbitant lifestyles.
      Signature

      Project HERE.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      Therefore the fact that one lives in an ordinary may not mean that much, but living in a rich neighborhood is likely to mean something.
      It can mean something, but it often doesn't.

      At my last house the neighbor across my backyard fence was a multi-millionaire, but you'd never know it to talk to him or see his house. He was (he passed on about a year ago) one of the biggest farmers in the state. Farmers don't flaunt their wealth. He lived in an average house in an average neighborhood.

      I wouldn't be surprised if one of my current neighbors is a millionaire. He was born and raised in the house he lives in, inherited it from his parents so he's never had to make house payments. He's in his eighties and owns a funeral home and has for decades. He's got money, but his house is worth about 80k, far less than mine. A half a block away is a 4-story multi-million dollar mansion. Next door to it is a run-down apartment house I'd guess is worth about 40k.

      Again, we can't judge a book by it's cover. That applies to people, the homes they own, and the neighborhoods they live in. There are just too many unknown factors. Rich neighborhoods are often populated with many home owners in debt up to their eyeballs because they wanted a lifestyle they can't afford.
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319707].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author QuickSurf
        Money may not buy happiness... but it sure as hell buy's things that make me happy lol
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319887].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

        It can mean something, but it often doesn't.

        At my last house the neighbor across my backyard fence was a multi-millionaire, but you'd never know it to talk to him or see his house. He was (he passed on about a year ago) one of the biggest farmers in the state. Farmers don't flaunt their wealth. He lived in an average house in an average neighborhood.

        I wouldn't be surprised if one of my current neighbors is a millionaire. He was born and raised in the house he lives in, inherited it from his parents so he's never had to make house payments. He's in his eighties and owns a funeral home and has for decades. He's got money, but his house is worth about 80k, far less than mine. A half a block away is a 4-story multi-million dollar mansion. Next door to it is a run-down apartment house I'd guess is worth about 40k.

        Again, we can't judge a book by it's cover. That applies to people, the homes they own, and the neighborhoods they live in. There are just too many unknown factors. Rich neighborhoods are often populated with many home owners in debt up to their eyeballs because they wanted a lifestyle they can't afford.
        My grandfather in Indiana was a modest farmer (passed away in the mid 80's), he lived alone.

        After he passed away my family found he had over $60k+ (cash) wrapped inside alum. foil & inside of tuperware containers, in a freezer on the back porch of his old farm house.

        His car & truck were both about 15 years old, & modest vehicles.

        He had most of his money in almost 400 acres of farm land.

        I remember he always was wearing bib overalls, & a farmers hat that you get free from a feed mill office for doing business with them.

        His farm machinery alone was worth a small fortune.

        Looking at the old 1800's brick farm house, you would think he didn't have much income, he did, he just didn't buy things he didn't really need.

        My point is, (OP) never judge a book by it's cover.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319888].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          Looking at the old 1800's brick farm house, you would think he didn't have much income, he did, he just didn't buy things he didn't really need.
          Right there! You hit on one of the biggest keys to acquiring wealth. It isn't how much you make so much as how much you spend. Put another way, it isn't how much you make, it's how much you keep.
          Signature

          Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4325572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Another story about a guy I worked with.

    The guy was an electrican by trade, he flipped houses in the 80's on the side, before it got popular.

    This guy was very modest in how he spent his money. He saved everything he made in flipping old houses, & bought about 20 acres on the edge of town.

    He paid about $120,000 to have a new street built.

    Once he built the street (outsourced) he built a new house for his family that would also act as a model home for the new houses he would build on his street.

    That new street had 36 houses on it!

    He broke even on all expenses & paid for his own house (model home) after selling only 4 houses on his new street.

    My point here is, he was a millionaire before he sold 1/2 the new homes on his street.

    The model home was worth maybe $130,000 back in the 80's when it was new.

    If you didn't know this guy personally, & know his story, you would never know he was a millionaire, or at one time he owned the entire neighborhood (every single home).

    Just an average guy that worked hard & was smart about how he spent his money. His best vehicle was a work truck, you know, the kind with little doors all over the sides of the truck bed.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4319976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adam J Wagner
    I don't really have a fixed address, so mine is set to my friends place that gets my mail for me... So she needs to get her act together so it looks like I have a nicer place!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4336261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sandycmy
    Nice thread dadamson !

    Made WF members think and comment on something non-virtual
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4407644].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      You are not going to see Warren Buffet living in a slum.
      But perhaps that's not a good analogy. Buffet lives in the same stucco house he's lived in for 40+ years.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4407731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DazedandConfused
    It's true looks can be deceiving...I have a friend in car sales - One time a scruffy looking guy in overalls came in to look at a basic truck - no frills - The city sales guy blew him off...
    My friend knew right away what he was there for - and sold him a fleet of 12 trucks for his ranch.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4408732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    Comic sans? -Why?
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4410783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author adadsreview
      Because I wanted to...??? Here, I posted in Verdana if that makes you happy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4410848].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    Thanks. My eyes feel a lot better.
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4410872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
    You really should go check out the lifestyle of Warren Buffet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4410996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adadsreview
    Happy to appeal to your eyes mojojuju.... And I apologize if I offended you by writing my response that was not suited to your liking even though it was offered in the options section on the "Post Reply" section on the forum. Please accept my apologies.....

    Rob
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4411382].message }}

Trending Topics