Anyone know anything about electronics?

by Ansar Pasha Banned 13 replies
Hey Warriors,

Recently some *)(@#$&*)#&$@#$ backed into passenger side mirror and didn't bother leaving a note or contact details... I was able to secure a replacement for a reasonable fee so I don't have to wait on mechanics to do it.

Here's the problem...

For some reason, the connection on my car has 5 wires.

I'm guessing this would be for the 4 directions it can go in... up, down, left, right + ground.

However, the connection on the replacement part only has 3 wires :confused:

I think that the motors inside might only need 3 wires anyway... and the 2 additional wires in my car might be grounding. Reason is because motors turn both ways, depending on which side + and - flows through.

I don't want to snip the wires off and try it if I don't have to, but if you know then any help is appreciated

Ansar
#off topic forum
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Yeah, this isn't an electronics question! You have to get info on THIS particular mirror. The new one MIGHT tell you why things are different, or you may have to compare to the old instructions. Sometimes the wires don't serve a real purpose at all, they could be for shielding, for example. But there IS a chance that you have a defective part or the wrong one. Still, I doubt there are standards here, so look for instructions about THAT part. This is like saying a TV has another knob, what is it for? How should WE know? You don't even state the make of the car.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ansar Pasha
    Banned
    Steve, I have searched around but this is a ricer, so info is pretty limited

    It's a mitsubishi FTO, 1995.

    I do think it's an electronic issue... when I opened up the old headlight the 2 additional wires didn't seem to be going anywhere except a short little loop (could be shielding, as you say).

    I'm thinking it may be for an older model, but I'll have a go later.

    Thanks anyway,
    Ansar

    P.S. When I refer to the "wires", I mean they are still attached to the sockets which I haven't yet cut off.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Ansar Pasha View Post

      Steve, I have searched around but this is a ricer, so info is pretty limited

      It's a mitsubishi FTO, 1995.

      I do think it's an electronic issue... when I opened up the old headlight the 2 additional wires didn't seem to be going anywhere except a short little loop (could be shielding, as you say).

      I'm thinking it may be for an older model, but I'll have a go later.

      Thanks anyway,
      Ansar

      P.S. When I refer to the "wires", I mean they are still attached to the sockets which I haven't yet cut off.
      Is the loop just going from one connection to the other, to the case, or no place? If so, it is either shielding or just not needed, and you can ignore it. Of course, if it goes back to the other connection, I would still make that connection. MAKE SURE it isn't bridged by a component. If it is, you may need that.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
      Ansar,
      Is it the Mirror or the Headlight that you need info about?
      Originally Posted by Ansar Pasha View Post

      Hey Warriors,

      Recently some *)(@#$&*)#&$@#$ backed into passenger side mirror and didn't bother leaving a note or contact details... I was able to secure a replacement for a reasonable fee so I don't have to wait on mechanics to do it.


      Here's the problem...


      For some reason, the connection on my car has 5 wires.


      I'm guessing this would be for the 4 directions it can go in... up, down, left, right + ground.


      However, the connection on the replacement part only has 3 wires
      :confused:

      I
      think that the motors inside might only need 3 wires anyway... and the 2 additional wires in my car might be grounding. Reason is because motors turn both ways, depending on which side + and - flows through.

      I don't want to snip the wires off and try it if I don't have to, but if you know then any help is appreciated


      Ansar
      Originally Posted by Ansar Pasha View Post

      Steve, I have searched around but this is a ricer, so info is pretty limited

      It's a mitsubishi FTO, 1995.

      I do think it's an electronic issue... when I opened up the old headlight the 2 additional wires didn't seem to be going anywhere except a short little loop (could be shielding, as you say).

      I'm thinking it may be for an older model, but I'll have a go later.


      Thanks anyway,

      Ansar

      P.S. When I refer to the "wires", I mean they are still attached to the sockets which I haven't yet cut off.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4424444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ansar Pasha
    Banned
    Thanks for the tips Steve.

    It doesn't go anywhere except a few low ohm resistors - so I think I'll just use some crimp connections in case it doesn't work like I think it does.

    Worst case, I'll have to shell a few bucks out on auto electrical tradies

    Best,
    Ansar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415363].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Ansar Pasha View Post

      Thanks for the tips Steve.

      It doesn't go anywhere except a few low ohm resistors - so I think I'll just use some crimp connections in case it doesn't work like I think it does.

      Worst case, I'll have to shell a few bucks out on auto electrical tradies

      Best,
      Ansar
      Yeah, that is ANOTHER thing. If those risistors are THERMISTORS, maybe it is to determine the outside temperature. Of course, they also could be sayng HEY, this is the type of device I am.

      steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415568].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
        Hi Ansar,
        Could it be that your vehicle has heated mirrors and the replacement mirror
        isn't wired to be a heated mirror?

        Low ohm-age resisters heat up when voltage is applied and the current flows through them.

        For example:
        A 12 volt car battery across a 1 ohm resistor will pass 12 amps of current and the power dissipation
        would be 144 watts of heat.

        A 12 volt car battery across a 10 ohm resistor will pass 1.2 amps of current and the power dissipation
        would be 14.4 watts of heat.

        Have a Great Day
        Michael
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415659].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post

          Hi Ansar,
          Could it be that your vehicle has heated mirrors and the replacement mirror
          isn't wired to be a heated mirror?

          Low ohm-age resisters heat up when voltage is applied and the current flows through them.

          For example:
          A 12 volt car battery across a 1 ohm resistor will pass 12 amps of current and the power dissipation
          would be 144 watts of heat.

          A 12 volt car battery across a 10 ohm resistor will pass 1.2 amps of current and the power dissipation
          would be 14.4 watts of heat.

          Have a Great Day
          Michael
          GOOD POINT! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, it would be better to have a heated grid in the glass, almost like they do in rear windows.

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    Steve, It was just a thought.

    His original thought about mirror direction control makes sense too.
    If his theory is correct then I would believe that their would be a common ground
    and four directional positions/motors.

    I drew my conclusion based on his statement of the presents of a low ohm resistor.

    Have a Great Day!
    Michael

    PS,
    Ansar,
    Give me the year make and model number. Example: (2011, Porsche, 911 GTS)
    and I will look in my data base for the schematic wiring diagram and tell you exactly
    what is going on.

    I work as an Electronics engineer in the Automotive Industry here in the USA.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4415814].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post

      Steve, It was just a thought.

      His original thought about mirror direction control makes sense too.
      If his theory is correct then I would believe that their would be a common ground
      and four directional positions/motors.

      I drew my conclusion based on his statement of the presents of a low ohm resistor.

      Have a Great Day!
      Michael
      I wasn't disputing what you said. I even said it was a good point.

      PS,
      Ansar,
      Give me the year make and model number. Example: (2011, Porsche, 911 GTS)
      and I will look in my data base for the schematic wiring diagram and tell you exactly
      what is going on.

      I work as an Electronics engineer in the Automotive Industry here in the USA.
      See Ansar,

      an electronics engineer in the automotive industry, and he STILL needs details!

      Michael,

      Nothing against you, just pointing out that you illustrated my first point. I looked in google real quick, but there is just too much junk. 8-(

      steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4416120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    OP, did that model have folding power mirrors?
    Signature
    Be your best self. - Darryl Philbin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4416265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    Steve, If I came off sounding that way then I'm Sorry, it was unintentional.
    I knew that you wasn't disputing me and really never gave it any thought.

    I now see I missed the info in an earlier post. 1995, mitsubishi, FTO.
    After my guests depart, I will take a look and see if I have the wiring diagrams.

    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4416377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    Okay,
    I pulled up the wiring diagram and the two extra connections are for a heated mirror.

    So, the mirror that you have as a replacement will work although it won't thaw it's self
    when ice is on it.

    Here is your actual connector. Pins #1 & #5 are for the heater.
    If you want to use the replacement mirror without the heater then you will
    need to wire the new mirror as such.


    .___[]___
    [1 2 3 4 5] Original
    .----l----
    .__[]__
    [ 1 2 3 ] Replacement
    .---l---

    Original
    #1 Not Used with replacement mirror. (Black)
    #2 connect to #1 on replacement mirror. (Yellow/White)
    #3 connect to #2 on replacement mirror. (Green/Red)
    #4 connect to #3 on replacement mirror. (Yellow/Red)
    #5 Not used with replacement mirror. (Black/Red)

    Hope that helps,
    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4424755].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics