Deadly attack rocks central Liege in Belgium

9 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
BBC News - Deadly attack rocks central Liege in Belgium

Reports say several men threw grenades and fired on a crowd at a bus stop in Place Saint Lambert

A gun and grenade attack in the centre of the Belgian city of Liege has killed at least two people and wounded 47 including a toddler, media say.

Witnesses say a man in his 40s threw grenades at a bus stop in Place Saint Lambert, a busy square. At least two other men are thought to be involved.

Reports say one of the attackers is among the dead. Local media say another has been detained, while a third is involved in a stand-off with police.

It is not clear who the attackers are.

There are reports of a fourth man escaping the scene.

TV images showed blood splattered across the cobblestones.

Medical staff are said to be attending to some of the injured in the courthouse.

Seven of them are in a serious condition, and doctors at a city hospital are trying to save the life of an 18-month-old boy injured in the attack.

Roads into the centre of the city have been sealed off. Police helicopters are hovering overhead and explosives experts are on their way to the square.

A TV report said many shops in the city centre had closed their doors, with customers trapped inside.

Place Saint Lambert is a busy intersection, served by hundreds of buses daily. It hosts an annual Christmas market which attracts some 1.5 million visitors a year.
Just happened. Unbelievable. Would never expect something like this in Belgium.
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Belgium? What the heck is going on over there that anyone would attack Belgium of all places. I'm thinking they will find it wasn't any huge group who did this one. Doesn't make it any less horrifying. I think this is more of an isolated thing than part of a larger group or problem, though.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5227766].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Gijsbertus
      My son has send me an sms (he's around the corner of Place St Lambert where this happened) to tell me that he was ok...

      Here's a video and updates

      Our heart stood still, believe me...

      Again and again... nobody is save anymore.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5227806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Law guy
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      Belgium? What the heck is going on over there that anyone would attack Belgium of all places. I'm thinking they will find it wasn't any huge group who did this one. Doesn't make it any less horrifying. I think this is more of an isolated thing than part of a larger group or problem, though.
      You are most likely correct in that it is unlikely that this was carried out as part of a plan by a large group. But as you said it yourself, that provides very little comfort.

      The fact that something like this happened in Belgium of all places is really quite worrisome.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5227818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    WOW, it looks like it is saying 4 were killed, 64 injured, of which 7 were seriously injured. I guess only 12 of the above are not really in need of medical attention.
    Among the dead are a 75 year old woman, a 15year old, and a 17year old.

    Hey, WHY NOT belgium? It is a member of the EU, and I believe one of the ones people wanted to control finances. It was part of the EU presidency last year, and listed on wikipedia as an inaugural presidency.

    And sometimes two towers can be the target, or one ship, or even a strip of land. Why not belgium?

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5228479].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Law guy
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      WOW, it looks like it is saying 4 were killed, 64 injured, of which 7 were seriously injured. I guess only 12 of the above are not really in need of medical attention.
      Among the dead are a 75 year old woman, a 15year old, and a 17year old.

      Hey, WHY NOT belgium? It is a member of the EU, and I believe one of the ones people wanted to control finances. It was part of the EU presidency last year, and listed on wikipedia as an inaugural presidency.

      And sometimes two towers can be the target, or one ship, or even a strip of land. Why not belgium?

      Steve
      I agree with you. But what I meant was that living in these western developed countries, one acquires a false sense of security, thinking all the violence and acts of terror they see on tv are "over there" and not "here".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5228592].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Thomas
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      Hey, WHY NOT belgium? It is a member of the EU, and I believe one of the ones people wanted to control finances. It was part of the EU presidency last year, and listed on wikipedia as an inaugural presidency.
      It doesn't appear to have been a politically-motivated attack against Belgium, Steve... he was simply a nutter was was well-known to local police, and had been in prison before on a variety of charges ranging from weapons possession to drugs offences to sex attacks. According to reports, his first victim was before his rampage; he murdered a cleaning lady in his apartment after apparently trying to rape her.

      Belgium attacks: Liege gunman Nordine Amrani pictured as police find body in his shed | Mail Online
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5234555].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

        It doesn't appear to have been a politically-motivated attack against Belgium, Steve... he was simply a nutter was was well-known to local police, and had been in prison before on a variety of charges ranging from weapons possession to drugs offences to sex attacks. According to reports, his first victim was before his rampage; he murdered a cleaning lady in his apartment after apparently trying to rape her.

        Belgium attacks: Liege gunman Nordine Amrani pictured as police find body in his shed | Mail Online
        Well, the film was FAR more sedate than I expected, especially given the title. But I don't know how far I should believe the news. They LIE, twist innuendo, come up with stupid theories and put them out as fact, change stories mid stream saying they didn't, remove footage, add footage, etc... Sometimes this seems to happen at the source. HELL, the POLICE often do it. WHATEVER YOU DO, if you are near some mayhem, DON'T be odd unless you have a clear cut alibi that is PUBLIC! You COULD become the next Richard Jewell! With HIM, they changed stories midstream claiming they didn't, and used the fact that he was odd without a publc alibi to try to wedge him into the predicament. All the news channels toed the line, making sure that it sounded like they were looking for a guy JUST LIKE HIM! But he was NOTHING like the guy they were looking for!

        Anyway, AH was "simply a nutter". But he got a few thousand people to agree with him, and managed to control a few million. And with that he probably threatened a few billion. The IEs are simply nutters also, and THEY threaten a lot. In each of those cases, MILLIONS died!

        So saying he was "simply a nutter" isn't any solace.

        BUT, as for him being a nutter? His appearance, expression, locational background, are SUSPICIOUS! And going after a nation that was recently among those heading the EU, that is financial, and HECK, DUTCH people, is in keeping with it. And they have been asked to shutup about such suspicions, etc.... EVEN if they have proof they are more than mere suspicions. BTW it IS interesting how they just lay out that he also had convictions for drug dealing, handling stolen goods and sex abuse. In OTHER words, they KNEW he WAS a major problem, but they simply decided to let him go because it wouldn't have been FAIR to HIM to do otherwise. It shows how low expectations have gone.

        Let's see...
        1. Weapons can be made that can kill MILLIONS. If you have enough backing, maybe a billion or so!(weather, allies, and location are the limiting factors.) HECK, that may be one reason israel is still around. People might hate them, but they don't hate those surrounding israel, so a lot of simple and effective weapons are out of the question.
        2. A whole bunch of people have gone mad, can be triggered by anything, and don't care WHO they hurt. In a lot of cases, they don't mind dying or getting maimed.
        3. Groups of people that are to inform, now hide such info.
        4. Groups of people that are to isolate them effectively put them in a school environment. They find people that think as they do, get info to help them, and the triggers get a bit more sensitive. Their resolve may even get more determined. Heck, if they have a bad knee, it may EVEN be replaced!
        5. If they DO get locked up, things are put into place to ensure they can try again next time, like this guy.

        Frankly, I never liked where this was going. People predicted stuff like THIS also.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5234907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iidesu
    2012 seems indeed approaching...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5233136].message }}

Trending Topics