Do All Toddlers Like Musicals?

15 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I have a question for anyone who's cared for toddlers. Is it common for toddlers to like music?

My 20 month old son loves musicals. He even tries to sing and do some of the moves. I doubt it comes from me. I recall hating musicals as a child. I was more of a smash-vases-with-a-hammer kind of toddler. We actually got rid of our TV, partly so our toddler wouldn't be exposed to it so much.* However, he quickly discovered that one can just as easily watch movies on computers, so he still gets to see them from time to time.





*The other reason we got rid of our TV was because Futureshop sales reps tried to pull a fast one on us when brought a faulty TV within warranty for a replacement and they tried to give us a downgrade while lying and calling it an upgrade. Never trust Futureshop sales reps. They lie a lot. A lot, without blinking an eye. Confront them with facts and documentation to expose their lies and you won't even witness any reddening of the face nor any other hint of embarrassment.
  • Profile picture of the author kokopelli
    Yep, toddlers love music
    Signature
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5331113].message }}
  • Music is a universal language, they respond to it in a primal way as music tends to do to most beings. It could also be a simple matter of frequency...

    I do know if the future generation does not control the volume better...they will all be deaf by the time they are 30...

    Hot new trend in the medical professions? Audiology -

    I also have a pseudo-theory the reason Whales and Elephants keep going crazy is due to hip-hop... (extreme low frequencies) but the Discover Channel hasn't called back yet... :rolleyes:
    (maybe I need to implicate Bigfoot or the Nazis somehow :confused
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5331168].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ace21
    I'm not sure if they all like musicals, but they definitely all like The Wiggles lol If a Wiggles DVD is playing, my two year old niece gets so excited. She even tries to sing along and dance too, its so cute
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5331490].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      You may have disliked them as a child - but probably don't remember being a toddler. Musicals are rhythmic noise, action, movement - all things that catch a toddler's attention and hold it.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world -
      but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5331607].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dave Patterson
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        You may have disliked them as a child - but probably don't remember being a toddler. Musicals are rhythmic noise, action, movement - all things that catch a toddler's attention and hold it.
        To this day an old black and white rerun of "Oklahoma" will stop me dead in my tracks...
        Signature
        Professional Googler
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5333005].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        You may have disliked them as a child - but probably don't remember being a toddler. Musicals are rhythmic noise, action, movement - all things that catch a toddler's attention and hold it.

        What you say definitely makes sense. I think it's great that my toddler is so into musicals, and his appreciation of them actually got me to start appreciating them. He also laughs at funny scenes on cue and that is pretty amazing to me -- where does that come from? It's like the information is already in his mind just unwinding. I asked my mother if I enjoyed musicals as a toddler and she said that she doesn't recall me liking musicals but that I did like to break things (unlike my toddler).
        Signature

        Project HERE.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tobarja
    I don't know if this qualifies, but our boy(now 7) and our first daughter(18 months) both love(d) the Backyardigans. Our second daughter is only a week and a half old, but I hope she does too, because they're much better than those scary other shows(Wiggles, tele-turbines). Plus, I like some of the songs ;-)
    Signature

    Regular guest posters wanted for blogging, white hat SEO, vacation/travel niches. New sites, will pay($) for good content. PM samples.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5331877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
      Originally Posted by Tobarja View Post

      I don't know if this qualifies, but our boy(now 7) and our first daughter(18 months) both love(d) the Backyardigans. Our second daughter is only a week and a half old, but I hope she does too, because they're much better than those scary other shows(Wiggles, tele-turbines). Plus, I like some of the songs ;-)
      It's related to musicals I guess. My toddler has never seen any TV or movie versions of the Backyardians (I haven't either). He has a Backyardian toy-book with buttons to play different songs and accompanying pics and lyrics and enjoys the songs, too.
      Signature

      Project HERE.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5332861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paintingsgalore22
    Yep! My baby loves music..especially the classicals.
    Signature
    Buy oil paintings-it will give character to your every room!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5341907].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      He also laughs at funny scenes on cue and that is pretty amazing to me -- where does that come from?
      Possibly facial expression and body language of the actors. Kids are tuned into things adults forget about. Try sitting with a mean or angry look on your face - chances are your kid will react to that.

      Of course, he may be laughing with laugh tracks, too

      If you glare at a toddler, he may begin to cry. If you stare down a dog the animal will slink away - or could attack in some cases. It's a basic communication level we often lose as adults because we learn to depend on the spoken word for clues to how someone "feels". Kids and animals don't need the words to see emotion.

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world -
      but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5343698].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DGFletcher
        Are we talking 'musicals as in Rogers and Hammerstiens' (Oklahoma, Sound of Music, stuff like that?) or are we talking 'musicals as in Broadway' (Wicked, Lion King, Cats) or 'old favorites that aren't Rogers and Hammerstiens, but also aren't quite so visual-attention-grabbing-per-song (Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera) with good music but not so colorful outfits?
        Signature
        Don't let a messed up computer mess up your business!

        Fix it with a Free Computer Security and Identity Protection Scan
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5344285].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
          Originally Posted by DGFletcher View Post

          Are we talking 'musicals as in Rogers and Hammerstiens' (Oklahoma, Sound of Music, stuff like that?) or are we talking 'musicals as in Broadway' (Wicked, Lion King, Cats) or 'old favorites that aren't Rogers and Hammerstiens, but also aren't quite so visual-attention-grabbing-per-song (Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera) with good music but not so colorful outfits?

          My toddler has been watching movie musicals such as The Music Man, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Sound of Music, Dimples and other Shirley Temple movies.

          He hasn't seen Oklahoma yet. At 20 months old, I think he's too young for stage plays apart from short childrens productions, and also too young more psychologically intense stuff such as Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables.
          Signature

          Project HERE.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5344932].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            My only advice - is watch out for The Lion King movie.

            I was watching it with my grandson when he was 3. The lion daddy died and my grandson broke into sobs, tears running down his face.

            I felt really bad about it until I learned it was his favorite movie that he watched often - and he cried EVERY time the lion daddy died.
            Signature
            Saving one dog will not change the world -
            but the world will be forever changed for that one dog.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5346873].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Possibly facial expression and body language of the actors. Kids are tuned into things adults forget about. Try sitting with a mean or angry look on your face - chances are your kid will react to that.

        Of course, he may be laughing with laugh tracks, too
        There is rhythm to humor in the actors' words and movements. That must have something to do with it. Laugh tracks are a TV thing, which reminds me, I want to try playing Lucille Ball shows to my toddler. I bet that'll make him laugh!
        Signature

        Project HERE.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5347940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author julianna
    All Toddlers that I have known, love music & rhythm. Dancing to a good beat is alot of fun for Toddlers. I used to teach a fitness & wellness program to pre-schoolers & music was a very big part of the program
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5344323].message }}

Trending Topics