Question for seasoned

by ThomM
36 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Steve, I know you know a bit about heavy metals in our bodies.
I was just reading this article on Cilantro and was wondering if you knew anything about it.
It seems that it changes the electrical charge on the metals to a neutral state.
The article also mentions Chlorella saying that it will absorb the heavy metals.
Home Page
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Thom - I eat a half a teaspoon of corriander seeds every week to strip heavy metals out of my body. I'm thinking that they are either the same or related plants. Cilantro is a leaf and corriander is a seed. You might want to look that up. Anyhow - that's what I take for heavy metal that isn't the type you play on a cd player.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5412763].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Sal, Coriander and Cilantro are the same Coriandrum sativum.
      Cilantro is the Spanish word for Coriander .
      I'm putting my herb garden together (on paper) and was thinking of what herbs I could grow indoors year round.
      For the outdoor one, it will be that strip between the house and driveway.
      Seeing how I like all herbs, fruits, and vegetables, I'm looking at health benefits more so then flavor.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5412910].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    I hate cilantro and I am not alone in hating how it tastes.
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    I love Cilantro - didn't know it was the same as coriander -

    If I could get Cilantro perfume I would -
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413162].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LeeLee
      Originally Posted by Patrician View Post

      I love Cilantro - didn't know it was the same as coriander -

      If I could get Cilantro perfume I would -
      When I hit that section of the grocery store I have to stop and whiff and then whiff some more. I LOVE that smell!
      Signature
      The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. ~ Lin Yutang
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5430914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    There's an "I Hate Cilantro" facebook page, too.

    I'm a proud member. Cilantro tastes like soap to me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by kaniganj View Post

      There's an "I Hate Cilantro" facebook page, too.

      I'm a proud member. Cilantro tastes like soap to me.
      Originally Posted by mojojuju View Post

      I hate cilantro and I am not alone in hating how it tastes.
      Yeah, don't really care
      I find it pretty funny though, having a website and facebook page about it.
      I'm like that with Salmon. Worst tasting crap I ever put in my mouth.
      When I worked at the country club, you had to taste everything you made.
      I had to make Salmon Mousse a lot
      I used to have the exec. chef taste it, cause it always tasted nasty to me.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LynnM
      Very interesting artice Thom, I knew nothing about heavy metals in the body. Wonder if the coriander loses its effectiveness if cooked? It's pretty popular over here as part of carrot & coriander soup, as well as in Asian food. Incidentally, it's just called coriander here, whether leaf, seed or powder.

      Sal, how do you eat the seeds, do you grind them first?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413341].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
        Not sure if it loses anything in cooking, I haven't researched it that far yet
        It was always Coriander here too.
        I never heard of Cilantro till the Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine became popular here in the northeast.
        Signature

        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
        Getting old ain't for sissy's
        As you are I was, as I am you will be
        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413617].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
    When I want to get rid of heavy metal, I change the station...brrrrdiiing.



    Trick with cilantro is not to overuse it, it does tend to overpower a recipe.
    This is pretty much to the tee...a salsa recipe I make.
    Highly recommended.

    Thom, I would hope you as a herbivore, would grow at least everything in this recipe...although I wouldn't know how Jalapeno & Serrano would grow in your neck o the woods.

    The salt and pepper tree is a bear to get going out here too.





    Ingredients:


    • 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
    • 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
    • 2 hot chile peppers, Serrano or Jalapeno, finely chopped
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
    • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
    • salt and pepper
    Preparation:

    Put chopped onion and garlic in a strainer; pour 2 cups boiling water over them then let drain thoroughly. Discard water. Cool. Combine onions and garlic with chopped tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to blend flavors.
    Makes about 2 cups of salsa.


    Ihatecilantro.com....lol...gimme a break, like anything else, you need to know how to use it.
    We use it so much in the Southwest, must be no metals here.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander

    I always thought it was related to mint type plants.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    I don't know WHY you posed this question to ME. I know how things like cadmium, mercury, aluminum, lead, etc... are bad for you and how they can affect you and where they might be. The idea of trying to chelate them, mitigate them, etc... is not something I even studied.

    You can try it. I don't see it hurting. The BEST cure is AVOIDANCE! The second best is filtering BEFORE you are exposed. Chelation or some kind of repulsion as you mention should be literally the last resort.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5413935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    You are certainly right, Steve. Avoidance really goes a long ways further than fixing. Unfortunately, it's not easy to avoid that stuff anymore - especially aluminum.

    Lynn - if I am just downing a dose for health, I just crush the seeds. They aren't all that hard and digest okay. If they were as hard as flax, I'd put them in a coffee grinder first.

    Thom - don't forget about all that great chamomile that grows wild in your driveway. Those buds make delicious tea when they are dried. Um.....as a matter of fact, I dried some while I was there so you might have had some. That's some pretty good blood purifier. It's also great if you have a cold or such, really soothes the throat. Ya only want to drink it when you are relaxing and it's okay to doze. It puts me out like a light.

    One herb that's good for a few things is Rosemary - that will help keep fleas and other bugs out of the house. They hate it. It's good for prime rib bedding and for french onion soup. Probably a few other things as well.


    BTW Steve - why wouldn't someone want advice when talking about herbs from a guy named "seasoned"?
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414145].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Not to mention all the wild Purslane I have growing every where
      I've always pretty much looked at herbs from a culinary view.
      Looking at them from a health view is a little different.

      Steve, I've read your posts about aluminum and knew you avoided it, I didn't know how far you went with that.
      When I read that article, you where the first person I thought of
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414428].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        Steve, I've read your posts about aluminum and knew you avoided it, I didn't know how far you went with that.
        When I read that article, you where the first person I thought of
        Well, I started a thread about brownies! I had NO pans. 8-( My mother and I split things, and I guess she took them the last time she left. So I went to krogers. They had THREE choices! Two looked about the same and did NOT say they were made out of. One was pyrex. HEAVY! BREAKABLE! Not quite the right size! I chose AGAINST pyrex! Of the two others, I felt only bakers secret might be an option. I came home and checked! COLD ROLLED STEEL! I guess one of the components in the steel, or in the coating, could be aluminum, but I ended up buying it. I no longer buy antiperspirant! When I was a teenager, I HAD to use antiperspirant, and quickly noticed only ONE worked! THAT item, which has ALUMINUM, now seems to be in EVERY antiperspirant on the market! I read ingredient lists more often, and will NOT take something with baking powder unless it lists the ingredients and doesn't contain aluminum.

        I gave some official an earful when I found out that the COLORING in warfarin has ALUMINUM! Luckily, it may be a VERY small amount. I am STILL UPSET THOUGH!

        But heysal is right! GOOD LUCK staying away 100%!

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418902].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          GOOD LUCK staying away 100%!
          Won't even try
          But thanks to you I am more aware of aluminum and heavy metals in our diet and will be doing more to avoid them. I'll also grow some coriander and do a heavy metal detox with it.
          Tom - I can't believe you hate salmon. I will only eat Atlantic salmon - it is one of my favorite fish - but the other types of salmon are fishy horrible so that is why I only eat Atlantic.
          Funny thing is, as a kid we had Salmon cakes for dinner often and I loved them.
          I'm not much of a fish eater to begin with. That started when I was younger and it's mainly because of the fish bones. I eat fast and have had fish bones stuck in my gums and once I had one stuck in the roof of my mouth near my throat.
          It may just be an aversion to the taste of old fish also.
          I've caught and eaten landlocked salmon before and liked it, same with trout.
          This summer I ate some fresh bass and enjoyed that also.
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      You are certainly right, Steve. Avoidance really goes a long ways further than fixing. Unfortunately, it's not easy to avoid that stuff anymore - especially aluminum.
      You have THAT right! I mean it is like someone is trying to DUMP aluminum in us! Did you hear about the childs sunglasses that mcdonalds had in some happy meals that had CADMIUM on them? YIKES!

      BTW Steve - why wouldn't someone want advice when talking about herbs from a guy named "seasoned"?
      VERY FUNNY! Seasoned was SUPPOSED to be meant ANOTHER way! 8-(

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5418823].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    One good way to avoid consuming metals if you eat fish -

    That gray stuff inside between the skin and the meat is where the metals collect. Scrape that nasty stuff away along with the skin.

    Tom - I can't believe you hate salmon. I will only eat Atlantic salmon - it is one of my favorite fish - but the other types of salmon are fishy horrible so that is why I only eat Atlantic.

    Back to Cilantro I wish I knew more ways to use it - I am not a salsa person - almost never - so I just buy it and put it in salads but I seem to throw a lot away when I buy it. It is soooo good - better than parsley which is also really good for you but something usually only used as a garnish and thrown out.

    I take parsley capsules as they supposedly on one hand are a good dieuretic and hence good for the kidneys, but then on the other hand people with kidney disease are told not to eat it. Confusing so I just do a little once a week or so...

    Basil is one of the best things in the world but again not enough ways I know to use it - the fresh organic kind is just beautiful in pesto. Comes out almost flourescent green....

    You are lucky - I would love to have space to grow things other then potted plants.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5414748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
    I agree, Thom

    I read that post Steve made about aluminum, and it really got me to thinking that a lot of strange things (sicknesses) have seemingly increased since the wide use of aluminum.
    Coincidence? Maybe, just kind of strange.

    When I cook I just really go old school, cast iron, copper...etc I don't like these non stick space age type pans and such. The last time I checked we really don't have any teflon or aluminum in the food pyramid. I read a long time ago you DO get iron and copper in your system from cooking with those type pans. Which is ok (I guess) because we do have that naturally in the body.

    I only use non stick for the fried eggs.


    Doh!
    I just realized beer comes in aluminum cans....better go make my will out...see who inherits my bvd's.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419180].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post

      I agree, Thom

      I read that post Steve made about aluminum, and it really got me to thinking that a lot of strange things (sicknesses) have seemingly increased since the wide use of aluminum.
      Coincidence? Maybe, just kind of strange.

      When I cook I just really go old school, cast iron, copper...etc I don't like these non stick space age type pans and such. The last time I checked we really don't have any teflon or aluminum in the food pyramid. I read a long time ago you DO get iron and copper in your system from cooking with those type pans. Which is ok (I guess) because we do have that naturally in the body.

      I only use non stick for the fried eggs.


      Doh!
      I just realized beer comes in aluminum cans....better go make my will out...see who inherits my bvd's.
      I always got bottled beer.
      Never liked the taste of canned beer, besides did you ever smash an empty beer can over someones head? Really doesn't have the same effect as using an empty beer bottle Bud long necks all the way
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5419826].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        I always got bottled beer.
        Never liked the taste of canned beer, besides did you ever smash an empty beer can over someones head? Really doesn't have the same effect as using an empty beer bottle Bud long necks all the way


        For some reason, Coors, which is my go to, low rent beer, seems to taste better in the can. Could be the no preservatives thing, which they are not kidding about. I have bought it bad, and taken it back.

        Don't know about smashing a can over anyone's head, but trying to break a can on the bar to make a jagged edge can be disconcerting, not to mention embarrassing, nothing worse than a bar fight faux pas...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420040].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post

          For some reason, Coors, which is my go to, low rent beer, seems to taste better in the can. Could be the no preservatives thing, which they are not kidding about. I have bought it bad, and taken it back.

          Don't know about smashing a can over anyone's head, but trying to break a can on the bar to make a jagged edge can be disconcerting, not to mention embarrassing, nothing worse than a bar fight faux pas...
          Beer bottles can sometimes be embarrassing also.
          Years ago I was in this little bar with a friend called Shorty.
          Shorty was around 6'5" and weighted close to 300 lbs.
          People that didn't know Shorty well thought his nickname was a play on his size. People who knew him well also knew Shorty was short for his real nickname, Short Fuse
          Well anyways this night a skinny guy around 5'10" got into an argument with Shorty. After a while he got pissed and whacked Shorty in the head with a beer bottle. It didn't break. He tired again and it still didn't break.
          Shorty just smiled, threw the guy on the floor and stepped on his face like he was putting out a cigarette butt
          A week later the guy wanted to meet up to apologize. I went with Shorty to watch his back:rolleyes: (I still laugh thinking about that)
          The guys face was covered in stitches. He told me later he didn't know what was more embarrassing, picking a fight with a giant or not being able to break a beer bottle on his head, twice
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post

      I agree, Thom

      I read that post Steve made about aluminum, and it really got me to thinking that a lot of strange things (sicknesses) have seemingly increased since the wide use of aluminum.
      Coincidence? Maybe, just kind of strange.

      When I cook I just really go old school, cast iron, copper...etc I don't like these non stick space age type pans and such. The last time I checked we really don't have any teflon or aluminum in the food pyramid. I read a long time ago you DO get iron and copper in your system from cooking with those type pans. Which is ok (I guess) because we do have that naturally in the body.

      I only use non stick for the fried eggs.


      Doh!
      I just realized beer comes in aluminum cans....better go make my will out...see who inherits my bvd's.
      Yeah, it is unlikely to dangerously overdose on iron and, if you do, you at least know what it likely is, etc... On house a kid once started having weird NEW symptoms that didn't fit their theory, and house got the brother to admit that he fed the kid a lot of vitamins containing iron. 8-/ An overdose on copper isn't really as bad, but also detectable. But it is early, connected, reversible, etc... Aluminum isn't the same way at all. Interestingly, I never heard of anyone getting sick from iron or copper utensils.

      I don't think beer is acidic. I've heard that drink CONCENTRATE(like what the bottlers get), is stored in plastic containers and has a warning about being corrosive. Originally, the drink companies made ONLY concentrate, and I guess it was watered down in the retail industry. They had "soda jerks" at soda shops that would mix it when ordered, almost like many restaurants do today. Somebody thought it would sell well bottled, and started bottling it. It wasn't until much later that the drink companies started buying up bottling companies.

      Anyway, I've heard that aluminum cans are lined to limit the corrosion because softdrinks are almost all acidic to some degree. Still, I don't trust them. When I was a kid, cans were made of something like steel. Wikipedia says use of aluminum cans started in 1957. I was born not TOO long after that. I must have been at least 7 before aluminum cans really hit. They made a big deal about it, and it was introduced with the stay tab.

      BTW concerning alzheimers:

      http://www.alz.org/downloads/Facts_Figures_2011.pdf

      They say it affects 1 inn 8 older(65+) americans. After age 84, 30% of whites, 59% of blacks, 63% of hispanics. AND, REGARDLESS of age, it affects twice as many women. 5th cause of death, increasing a STAGGERING 66% between 2000 and 2008! Just to give you a little idea?

      #1 HIV DOWN 29%
      #2 HEART DISEASE DOWN 13%
      #3 Breast cancer DOWN 3%
      #4 Prostate cancer DOWN 8%
      #5 Stroke DOWN 20%
      #6 ALZHEIMERS ***UP*** 66%!

      I TRIED to find proof. Wikipedia seems to claim
      #1 HEART
      #2 Stroke
      #3 HIV etc...

      There iss too much noise there, but alzheimers is pretty high up on the list.
      But it agrees with the male/female ratio of 1:2

      WHO says, NOW:
      #1 HEART
      #2 STROKE
      #3 LUNG CANCER
      #4 LOWER RESP
      #5 (Variant of #1,#1 obstructive pulmunary)
      #6 Colon cancer
      #7 Alzheimers


      I think both wikipedia and WHO spoke of worldwide though.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420031].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        Yeah, it is unlikely to dangerously overdose on iron and, if you do, you at least know what it likely is, etc... On house a kid once started having weird NEW symptoms that didn't fit their theory, and house got the brother to admit that he fed the kid a lot of vitamins containing iron. 8-/ An overdose on copper isn't really as bad, but also detectable. But it is early, connected, reversible, etc... Aluminum isn't the same way at all. Interestingly, I never heard of anyone getting sick from iron or copper utensils.

        I don't think beer is acidic. I've heard that drink CONCENTRATE(like what the bottlers get), is stored in plastic containers and has a warning about being corrosive. Originally, the drink companies made ONLY concentrate, and I guess it was watered down in the retail industry. They had "soda jerks" at soda shops that would mix it when ordered, almost like many restaurants do today. Somebody thought it would sell well bottled, and started bottling it. It wasn't until much later that the drink companies started buying up bottling companies.

        Anyway, I've heard that aluminum cans are lined to limit the corrosion because softdrinks are almost all acidic to some degree. Still, I don't trust them. When I was a kid, cans were made of something like steel. Wikipedia says use of aluminum cans started in 1957. I was born not TOO long after that. I must have been at least 7 before aluminum cans really hit. They made a big deal about it, and it was introduced with the stay tab.

        BTW concerning alzheimers:

        http://www.alz.org/downloads/Facts_Figures_2011.pdf

        They say it affects 1 inn 8 older(65+) americans. After age 84, 30% of whites, 59% of blacks, 63% of hispanics. AND, REGARDLESS of age, it affects twice as many women. 5th cause of death, increasing a STAGGERING 66% between 2000 and 2008! Just to give you a little idea?

        #1 HIV DOWN 29%
        #2 HEART DISEASE DOWN 13%
        #3 Breast cancer DOWN 3%
        #4 Prostate cancer DOWN 8%
        #5 Stroke DOWN 20%
        #6 ALZHEIMERS ***UP*** 66%!

        I TRIED to find proof. Wikipedia seems to claim
        #1 HEART
        #2 Stroke
        #3 HIV etc...

        There iss too much noise there, but alzheimers is pretty high up on the list.
        But it agrees with the male/female ratio of 1:2

        WHO says, NOW:
        #1 HEART
        #2 STROKE
        #3 LUNG CANCER
        #4 LOWER RESP
        #5 (Variant of #1,#1 obstructive pulmunary)
        #6 Colon cancer
        #7 Alzheimers


        I think both wikipedia and WHO spoke of worldwide though.

        Steve

        I know they line the cans Steve. It does (soda and etc) eat thru things.
        I've done bar tear downs and reconstruction where it was common to use copper,(dwv) back when it was cheaper, to use for drainage and the lines that were used particularly for draining beer, soda and such, were completely eaten thru on the bottom, either thin enough to put your finger thru or not there!

        But until you mentioned it I never really thought about how much aluminum we are really exposed to all the time nowadays. Just kind of made me think, which is getting more and more painful..

        But you never know tho, could be a certain additive (read chemical) in the food that has caused increases in autism, Alzheimer's, and etc. 60% or better in a few decades is a huge jump.

        When I first started in construction, asbestos was extremely common.
        Some years ago it was like the devil himself had shown up. had a couple of, commercial, especially, jobs shut down while they brought in abatement teams dressed like they were out of a plague movie.

        It's a running gag with me about watching these commercials that feature some new 'wonder' drug or substance, and I turn to whoever's there and ask to bet on how many years it will be before they tell us it causes cancer or some such.

        But I really think you might be on to something about aluminum, while it may be allright for jets and other things, but may not be real great for anything potable or edible.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
    You and I are obviously going to have a lot of stories to talk about if and when I make it to your neck o the woods...


    Right now tho, I'm still cleaning up from Xmas, believe it or not.
    This girl needs an intervention when it comes to this Xmas stuff, half the garage full of things we use once a year.

    But..but...wait... that's not the best part, now it's turned into me rearranging the entire back room and building new shelves in the garage, if she doesn't go to work pretty soon,today, we may end up with an extra bedroom.
    Think I'll go back to work and get some rest...or go pick on Shorty and get it all done and over with...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5420507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    For autism, they changed the definition. People that would NEVER EVER EVER have even been considered as MAYBE having autism now fit the requirements. FURTHER, apparently a lot of doctors can't read, and are diagnosing almost ANYONE as having autism. Remember when they used to say a criminal "found the lord", and "changed" and used it to get a more lenient sentence? The LATEST garbage is to claim they have AS(A type of autism where the person often seems relatively normal).

    SO, NOBODY can give you statistics about autism because all records are polluted.

    If they said autism remained constant, it would actually represent a FANTASTIC DROP in cases.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roaddog
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      For autism, they changed the definition. People that would NEVER EVER EVER have even been considered as MAYBE having autism now fit the requirements. FURTHER, apparently a lot of doctors can't read, and are diagnosing almost ANYONE as having autism. Remember when they used to say a criminal "found the lord", and "changed" and used it to get a more lenient sentence? The LATEST garbage is to claim they have AS(A type of autism where the person often seems relatively normal).

      SO, NOBODY can give you statistics about autism because all records are polluted.

      If they said autism remained constant, it would actually represent a FANTASTIC DROP in cases.

      Steve

      Ahhh, gotcha, that makes sense. Was kind of wondering why there wasn't some 'outcry' about that kind of increase.
      By the way, when you said it, it wasn't the first time I heard of an extreme increase.

      But what you said sounds about par for the course.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5421600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    If you check out stats - also check out the fact that ALL syndromes and diseases such as Alzheimers have increased proportionally with the use of sunscreens. Not only are the ingredients in chemical screens scary in and of themselves - people are applying it before they even get out in the sun instead of after they've gotten enough sun and Vitamin D deficiency is epidemic (possibly pandemic - haven't really looked at global stats or ss usage). Vitamin D isn't just a vitamin, it's a necessary hormone and a deficiency can wreak havoc on a person's body to no end.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5431864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      If you check out stats - also check out the fact that ALL syndromes and diseases such as Alzheimers have increased proportionally with the use of sunscreens. Not only are the ingredients in chemical screens scary in and of themselves - people are applying it before they even get out in the sun instead of after they've gotten enough sun and Vitamin D deficiency is epidemic (possibly pandemic - haven't really looked at global stats or ss usage). Vitamin D isn't just a vitamin, it's a necessary hormone and a deficiency can wreak havoc on a person's body to no end.
      The sun screen is a good possibility, lack of vit. D is something that even the established medical community is finally admitting to.
      I saw a commercial the other day for a new arthritis medicine. It didn't cure the arthritis, just took away the pain and reduced the joint swelling. You can get it as either a self injected or topical.
      Two of the side effects where different types of cancer
      [RANT]Insert Thom's ACV rant here[/RANT]
      I've always been a cause type of person.
      In other words if a water pipe springs a leak, I'll fix the leak then figure out what caused it and correct that so it doesn't happen again.
      So many diseases that we have today are caused by either what we put in our bodies or on our bodies or both.
      When we where kids you never heard of A.D.D. yet today it is supposedly wide spread. Discounting the morons who say a kid has A.D.D. because they are active, look at what kids eat today as opposed to what we ate.
      What's called 'organic' today was called 'groceries' 50 years ago.
      My parents made me play outside because I needed fresh air and sun shine, they knew that. If it was summer and a sunny day I didn't get covered in sun screen I was told to leave my shirt on.
      Everyone back then had vegetable gardens. With WWII and Victory gardens still being recent memories it was still considered the patriotic thing to do, it was also the healthy thing to do.
      Until we start making cyber-people our bodies are composed of natural elements. As long as those elements are in the right balance you will be healthy. Start adding synthetic foods and chemicals and you throw that balance out the window and open yourself up to all sorts of problems.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432099].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Charlotte Jay
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        The sun screen is a good possibility, lack of vit. D is something that even the established medical community is finally admitting to.
        I saw a commercial the other day for a new arthritis medicine. It didn't cure the arthritis, just took away the pain and reduced the joint swelling. You can get it as either a self injected or topical.
        Two of the side effects where different types of cancer
        [RANT]Insert Thom's ACV rant here[/RANT]
        I've always been a cause type of person.
        In other words if a water pipe springs a leak, I'll fix the leak then figure out what caused it and correct that so it doesn't happen again.
        So many diseases that we have today are caused by either what we put in our bodies or on our bodies or both.
        When we where kids you never heard of A.D.D. yet today it is supposedly wide spread. Discounting the morons who say a kid has A.D.D. because they are active, look at what kids eat today as opposed to what we ate.
        What's called 'organic' today was called 'groceries' 50 years ago.
        My parents made me play outside because I needed fresh air and sun shine, they knew that. If it was summer and a sunny day I didn't get covered in sun screen I was told to leave my shirt on.
        Everyone back then had vegetable gardens. With WWII and Victory gardens still being recent memories it was still considered the patriotic thing to do, it was also the healthy thing to do.
        Until we start making cyber-people our bodies are composed of natural elements. As long as those elements are in the right balance you will be healthy. Start adding synthetic foods and chemicals and you throw that balance out the window and open yourself up to all sorts of problems.
        It is only one of the many factors Thom. I have eaten healthy my entire life, and in the course of 2 months my body has managed to contract two diseases, neither of which have any cure. It's not only what we do to our bodies but the environment we live in.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432157].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ThomM
          Originally Posted by Charlotte Jay View Post

          It is only one of the many factors Thom. I have eaten healthy my entire life, and in the course of 2 months my body has managed to contract two diseases, neither of which have any cure. It's not only what we do to our bodies but the environment we live in.
          Very true Charlotte.
          But if we but our food in a grocery store, chances are we aren't eating as healthy as we think. Every day there is more and more evidence of health problems caused by GMO's and the bloody stuff is in everything
          Not knowing what diseases you have I can't comment on that except to say that sucks.
          But keep an open mind and look outside the box, you may find what you need.
          Signature

          Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
          Getting old ain't for sissy's
          As you are I was, as I am you will be
          You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432533].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author HeySal
          Originally Posted by Charlotte Jay View Post

          It is only one of the many factors Thom. I have eaten healthy my entire life, and in the course of 2 months my body has managed to contract two diseases, neither of which have any cure. It's not only what we do to our bodies but the environment we live in.
          I don't know what your second disease is, but I know lymes. I'm in prime tick areas frequently and have been bitten by ticks that leave the bullseye rash several times. Because of being bitten, I've done a lot of studying up on lymes. What most people don't understand is that it is actually extremely hard to contract it. There was more than slight possibilities something was not all that right in the first place, if you did. Eating healthy isn't the whole equation in health. It would really be so simple if it were.
          Signature

          Sal
          When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
          Beyond the Path

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Charlotte Jay
    Chelation is one of the therapies recommended for Lyme Disease amongst others. It is one of my last resorts if my current healing path doesn't help me. I have heard a ton of success stories about it. Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy is also on the list of therapies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432042].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Charlotte Jay View Post

      Chelation is one of the therapies recommended for Lyme Disease amongst others. It is one of my last resorts if my current healing path doesn't help me. I have heard a ton of success stories about it. Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy is also on the list of therapies.
      Chelation WON'T help lyme disease! It is likely that Oxygen won't either. It is a PARASITE!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432609].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Charlotte Jay
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        Chelation WON'T help lyme disease! It is likely that Oxygen won't either. It is a PARASITE!

        Steve
        It will if used in conjunction with IV antibiotics. Lyme hides inside the cell, HBOT opens up the cell wall and allows the drug to work and kill the parasite. I take oral RX's, one which opens the cell wall and the other to kill it.

        Chelation is a way to draw out the dead parasites. When you take the oral drugs, it kills the parasite but it's still inside your body. Chelation and detox are a way to remove the toxin from your body. The patient feels a million times better when done on a regular basis.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5438680].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by Charlotte Jay View Post

          It will if used in conjunction with IV antibiotics. Lyme hides inside the cell, HBOT opens up the cell wall and allows the drug to work and kill the parasite. I take oral RX's, one which opens the cell wall and the other to kill it.

          Chelation is a way to draw out the dead parasites. When you take the oral drugs, it kills the parasite but it's still inside your body. Chelation and detox are a way to remove the toxin from your body. The patient feels a million times better when done on a regular basis.
          Well, I always understood chelation to be based on atoms of molecules, and not something that could remove a virus, bacteria,etc...

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5439025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Charlotte Jay
    The grocery stores here are horrifying compare to a European store (although they are starting to get that way too) I noticed an immediate difference in how I felt when I ate more processed foods after I moved here 16 years ago. I do my best to eat locally and organically grown non-processed foods, but sometimes you can't avoid it. I am definitely more conscientious now I have Lyme and Celiac. The moment I put something into my body that's not healing I feel it. I am constantly trying to think outside the box as you said. Hopefully it will pay off soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5432619].message }}

Trending Topics