Mountainview, CA - April 26, 2012 0811

20 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
#0811 #2012 #april #mountainview
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Okay. Um. Care to elaborate on that one?
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6135733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author candoit2
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      Okay. Um. Care to elaborate on that one?
      I think it is a reference to If the poor don't like it, "Let them eat cake."

      Before the French Revolution, a member of the French nobility (but not the erroneously blamed Marie Antoinette) allegedly dismissed the concerns of the poor by saying, "Let them eat cake."
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136011].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LarryC
        Originally Posted by AaronJones View Post

        I think it is a reference to If the poor don't like it, "Let them eat cake."

        Before the French Revolution, a member of the French nobility (but not the erroneously blamed Marie Antoinette) allegedly dismissed the concerns of the poor by saying, "Let them eat cake."
        I get the reference, but not how it relates to that photo or the place that's named in the thread's title.
        Signature
        Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136058].message }}
  • Geez - I remember when that plot of land was a couple of old houses, and orchards...and the dump was at the end of the road...now it's dumping on us...:rolleyes:
    (but the biggest dive bar in town is still right across the street...some things never change :p)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
      You're from the valley also? Yep, I remember when there were more cherry trees than people.

      For those who don't know, that is Google's headquarters in the photo.

      Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

      Geez - I remember when that plot of land was a couple of old houses, and orchards...and the dump was at the end of the road...now it's dumping on us...:rolleyes:
      (but the biggest dive bar in town is still right across the street...some things never change :p)
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    not many cars

    must have a good public transport system
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136170].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dave Patterson
      Originally Posted by oncewerewarriors View Post

      not many cars

      must have a good public transport system
      Yeah...1000 shiny new/old bicycles...
      Signature
      Professional Googler
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136173].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
        Check out how many buildings Google has in that area:

        http://maps.google.com/maps?q=google...ornia&t=h&z=17
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136204].message }}
        • Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

          Check out how many buildings Google has in that area:

          google headquarters address - Google Maps
          Practically every freaking building in that area is Google now...
          Funny though...if you go to the corner of Charleston and Landings Drive - that one guy is still holding out - he's been the last set of junkyard houses in that entire area...he must want beaucoup bucks for that plot or something...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136492].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

            Practically every freaking building in that area is Google now...
            Funny though...if you go to the corner of Charleston and Landings Drive - that one guy is still holding out - he's been the last set of junkyard houses in that entire area...he must want beaucoup bucks for that plot or something...
            I bet by Google building up that area, that guys property tax has skyrocketed.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136680].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
              Nope. Prop 13 took care of that. Unless the guy did some new construction since Google came into the neighborhood his property taxes should be the same as they were before.

              Originally Posted by yukon View Post

              I bet by Google building up that area, that guys property tax has skyrocketed.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136789].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
          Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

          Check out how many buildings Google has in that area:

          google headquarters address - Google Maps

          Back in the mid 90s I used to fly out there twice a year to visit a pharmaceutical company (Syntex) to service equipment. I am not sure of where anymore, but when I visited back in 2007, the buildings are now owned by Google.

          Before long California just may become Googlefornia
          Signature

          Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139182].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
            My ex wife worked at Syntex in Palo Alto. That was a pretty big place in itself.
            Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

            Back in the mid 90s I used to fly out there twice a year to visit a pharmaceutical company (Syntex) to service equipment. I am not sure of where anymore, but when I visited back in 2007, the buildings are now owned by Google.

            Before long California just may become Googlefornia
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139232].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
              Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

              My ex wife worked at Syntex in Palo Alto. That was a pretty big place in itself.
              I think in that location they made animal drugs (if memory serves...)
              Signature

              Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139272].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
                I remember them making Naprosyn and Anaprox but maybe they made those somewhere else.
                Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

                I think in that location they made animal drugs (if memory serves...)
                Signature
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139502].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
                  Originally Posted by TimPhelan View Post

                  I remember them making Naprosyn and Anaprox but maybe they made those somewhere else.

                  Back then Syntex was a big player. Not sure if they even exist anymore. Alza was another I used to service (but not sure if they were in Palo Alto or Mountainview...) I do recall both those companies had multiple locations...
                  Signature

                  Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139874].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author TimPhelan
                    Roche bought them in 1994.

                    Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

                    Back then Syntex was a big player. Not sure if they even exist anymore.
                    Signature
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6143378].message }}
          • Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

            Back in the mid 90s I used to fly out there twice a year to visit a pharmaceutical company (Syntex) to service equipment. I am not sure of where anymore, but when I visited back in 2007, the buildings are now owned by Google.

            Before long California just may become Googlefornia
            It's funny to see what some buildings change into what company...and you're right about Googleformia....soon California might have to get a sponsor, like stadiums.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ericbryant
    This is hilarious. Thanks for sharing. Stuck out in the stix of Maine we don't get the history like you guys do. We all thought Google's offices were located underground at Disney.
    Signature
    www.CoreZero.com
    - Social Media Marketing Strategy & Consulting

    - Custom Wordpress Website Design & Blogs

    - Wordpress Speed Demon? Click Here!

    - Live the life you love... now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6136235].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrumpiaTim
    Google Campus - nice
    Signature

    www.Trumpia.com

    Trumpia: The Most Completed SMS Text Messaging Software & API Solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6142139].message }}

Trending Topics