What is your favorite WORD?

33 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
...you know, the one that you use in conversation so often that your friends/coworkers can hear it and think of you because you use it so often?

Mine is "bottom line" - yes, I know, that is two words, but it's my thread, so it's my rules....

I have always been a bottom line type-o-girl. I find many times people are him-hawing (sp?) around a topic, story or situation, and just can't get to the POINT, or they are giving WAY too many details, or they are actually trying to get their point across by going around the point, but want to take the long road before they get there.

So, by saying "what's the bottom line?" - it seems to prompt people to say it "like it is".....

And, now that I am writing this, I am prompted to know WHERE that saying originated and found out VERY little, except that it seemed to originate in the late 60's/early 70's era, so the term itself is relatively new.

So, bottom line, I need more coffee.....
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
    Defenestrate:

    Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
    Signature

    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6427580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Valerie Mitchell
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      Defenestrate:

      Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
      Dan - I love it !! I will surely look to use this in a sentence today....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6427607].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      Defenestrate:

      Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
      Ok...so how do you usually fit that into the conversation? :rolleyes: :p

      Since the OP started off the post with "you know" - those are actually two of the words that drive me crazy in a sentence when it is constantly said after every other word...you know?

      (though not in the context she used them...)

      "So I'm driving to the store...you know? and I get up to the corner...you know...and this guy next to me is, you know, revving his engine like, you know, in a race...so I, you know, etc., etc..."

      That drive me nuts...I feel like saying either "yes, I KNOW!" or "no, I don't know, can you explain it more clearly and just cut to the chase?" :confused:

      btw: My word for the day - 'ludicrous' :p
      (unfortunately...I have to use this word more than I would like...:rolleyes


      (Oh, and 'bottom line' would be originally in context to a contract...as in, "sign on the...")
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6428307].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
        Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

        Ok...so how do you usually fit that into the conversation? :rolleyes: :p

        Are you kidding me, 3M?! This is a very easy word to fit into conversation.

        For example, often when my wife is nagging me about getting off the computer and doing some chores, I'll simply reply, "If you don't get off my back, I'm going to defenstrate you."
        Signature

        If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6428347].message }}
        • Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

          Are you kidding me, 3M?! This is a very easy word to fit into conversation.

          For example, often when my wife is nagging me about getting off the computer and doing some chores, I'll simply reply, "If you don't get off my back, I'm going to defenstrate you."
          LOL! - what a relief! I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with babies and bathwater!

          (I laughed when you used that word, because one of the things I did to earn money for school, was as a Glazier, and I had this helper who heard us talking about 'fenestration' once...and thought we meant 'frustration' and didn't know how to say it...:rolleyes
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6428420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

      Defenestrate:

      Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
      I'm chopfallen to think anyone would defenstrate a person.




      (chopfallen: brought low in spirit)
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6437472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author flowbee77
    "ineffable" is one of my favorite words.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6430693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by flowbee77 View Post

      "ineffable" is one of my favorite words.

      Oddly enough, "effable" is also a great word, but I only use it when talking about Jessica Biel around the kids...
      Signature

      If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6431970].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author flowbee77
        Originally Posted by Dan Riffle View Post

        Oddly enough, "effable" is also a great word, but I only use it when talking about Jessica Biel around the kids...
        I'll see your "effable" Jessica Biel and raise you the "ineffable" Mayrin Villanueva.



        Eddie
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433526].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
          Originally Posted by flowbee77 View Post

          I'll see your "effable" Jessica Biel and raise you the "ineffable" Mayrin Villanueva.



          Eddie
          You have fantastic taste, my friend.
          Signature

          If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author My220x
    I'm always saying literally, far too much actually
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6432104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rohiteshwar
    SUNSHINE is my favorite word.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6432866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rillpoll
    my favorite is "hypocrite"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433114].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dailyjeeto12
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author serenen
      I often tend to say OMG!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6433938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JFSG
    My favourite word is the "F" word. LOL
    Signature
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting | Powered by LiteSpeed
    United States / United Kingdom / Singapore Web Hosting
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers
    WordPress | MyBB | phpBB | Joomla | Drupal | Many More Supported Scripts!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lori Kelly
    Ambiguous. - I'm a consumer advocate for people facing foreclosures and short sales and I use this word often to describe some of the BS paperwork I read. : )
    Signature
    Learn Website Tips, How to Do Keyword Research, & How to Write Killer Content.
    Stop Wasting Time.
    Start Living Your Dream.
    Click Here NOW to Get Your Hands on
    One of the Most Valuable Ebooks Ever!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KimW
      Originally Posted by Lori Kelly View Post

      Ambiguous. - I'm a consumer advocate for people facing foreclosures and short sales and I use this word often to describe some of the BS paperwork I read. : )
      Are they facing foreclosure legitimately or are the banks stealing the house?
      Signature

      Read A Post.
      Subscribe to a Newsletter
      KimWinfrey.Com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434297].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lori Kelly
        Originally Posted by KimW View Post

        Are they facing foreclosure legitimately or are the banks stealing the house?
        Sorry this is off topic Valerie.

        It's my opinion that the majority of the cases, the banks are stealing the house.

        Don't get me wrong, if you can't pay your mortgage, you face foreclosure. It's in the deed that every homeowner (glorified renter) signs when they mortgage (not buy, if you bought a house, you own it outright) a house.

        The problem is with the deceptive practices banks are using.

        One of the most common tactics is the modification process -- the government's failed making home affordable program.

        Bank tells homeowner they qualify for the program and homeowner starts making lower payments.

        First problem - when homeowner makes lower payments, the bank doesn't have to apply the payment to their account. The bank holds it in a "suspense" account and considers the loan in default = start foreclosure.

        Second problem - homeowner thinks the bank is actually helping them and bank strings borrower along for months (or as long as homeowner falls for it) to continue making the "modified" payment.

        Third problem - Bank tells homeowner, "Sorry, we made a mistake you really don't qualify, but thanks for all that money you sent us but now we'll have to foreclose."

        There are many more problems but I'll stop here.

        Signature
        Learn Website Tips, How to Do Keyword Research, & How to Write Killer Content.
        Stop Wasting Time.
        Start Living Your Dream.
        Click Here NOW to Get Your Hands on
        One of the Most Valuable Ebooks Ever!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434960].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KimW
          Originally Posted by Lori Kelly View Post

          Sorry this is off topic Valerie.

          It's my opinion that the majority of the cases, the banks are stealing the house.

          Don't get me wrong, if you can't pay your mortgage, you face foreclosure. It's in the deed that every homeowner (glorified renter) signs when they mortgage (not buy, if you bought a house, you own it outright) a house.

          The problem is with the deceptive practices banks are using.

          One of the most common tactics is the modification process -- the government's failed making home affordable program.

          Bank tells homeowner they qualify for the program and homeowner starts making lower payments.

          First problem - when homeowner makes lower payments, the bank doesn't have to apply the payment to their account. The bank holds it in a "suspense" account and considers the loan in default = start foreclosure.

          Second problem - homeowner thinks the bank is actually helping them and bank strings borrower along for months (or as long as homeowner falls for it) to continue making the "modified" payment.

          Third problem - Bank tells homeowner, "Sorry, we made a mistake you really don't qualify, but thanks for all that money you sent us but now we'll have to foreclose."

          There are many more problems but I'll stop here.

          This is the off topic forum,so off topic posts are normal here

          First,you are right,if you can't and don't pay,that isn't the banks fault,but the problem is that people are paying and the bank still claims they are in default when they are not.

          You forgot the other problem,with the failing of the smaller mortgage companies the big banks dont have proper documentation for the loans,so they try to get the homeowners to sign loan modifications which then does give the bank signed documents.

          As you said,making homes affordable is a farce.
          And the banks and the government are in it together.
          They are stealing homes, and if you haven't seen my thread about it,also in the OT, then you should check it out.

          Now back to ouyr regular scheduled OT topic:
          I have 2 favorite words:

          Plethora and cornucopia.
          Signature

          Read A Post.
          Subscribe to a Newsletter
          KimWinfrey.Com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamieLewis
    Haemoglobin... it just rolls off the tongue!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scottsdaleins
    seriously - most of the time with a ? or to re-focus a conversation (really helpful since I tend to go off on tangents)

    and +1 for Mayrin Villanueva
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6434505].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      It may seem obstreperously churlish, but I like all big-ass words.
      Signature
      “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435035].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author flowbee77
      Originally Posted by scottsdaleins View Post

      seriously - most of the time with a ? or to re-focus a conversation (really helpful since I tend to go off on tangents)

      and +1 for Mayrin Villanueva

      Always a pleasure to run into a fellow Mayrin fan.

      She's not very well known outside of Mexico.

      I once had the opportunity to meet her several years ago when I was doing marketing for a Mexican film.

      Didn't happen though.

      She is "ineffable"
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6437240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lori Kelly
    Ha. That's good Paul. I like big ass words too. : )
    Signature
    Learn Website Tips, How to Do Keyword Research, & How to Write Killer Content.
    Stop Wasting Time.
    Start Living Your Dream.
    Click Here NOW to Get Your Hands on
    One of the Most Valuable Ebooks Ever!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iswinar
    the bottom line is... Hello ladies, I'm newbie here..
    Signature

    Admin of :
    - Lighthouse
    - Komodo Dragon

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435189].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435395].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lori Kelly
      Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post

      Dulpidoo It means "I didn't understand what you said."

      :-Don
      I'm sorry, I don't understand. :rolleyes:
      Signature
      Learn Website Tips, How to Do Keyword Research, & How to Write Killer Content.
      Stop Wasting Time.
      Start Living Your Dream.
      Click Here NOW to Get Your Hands on
      One of the Most Valuable Ebooks Ever!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435823].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CyborgX
    No offence but I love the word LOVE.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435874].message }}
    • Love should be everybody's favorite word!


      Word for the day: onomatopoeia
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6435966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

    favourite place too
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6437301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reddy2011
    "Take it light" is my all time fav word which i use very often !
    Signature
    Mobiles and Technology !!!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6438662].message }}

Trending Topics