MIT's Tiny Foldable Electric Car Will Retail For $16,000

19 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
MIT’s Tiny Foldable Electric Car Will Retail For $16,000 - PSFK

http://www.hiriko.com/
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Someone is going to drive that on the streets of the US - YIKES.

    *thinking about jokes that will be made about flycars in near future*
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6810416].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pinkgink
      I couldn't go grocery shopping in it.
      Signature
      "To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6810468].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
        Originally Posted by pinkgink View Post

        I couldn't go grocery shopping in it.
        I couldn't even fit in it.

        -Chris
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6810479].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author The 13th Warrior
          Since when did Golf carts and fancy wheelchairs become "cool" for travel?

          One step above a motorized skateboard.


          The 13th Warrior
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6810564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    any other colours

    looks fun
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6810709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas
    Looks vaguely similar to the Mercedes SMART car, which everyone laughed at when they first became available, but can now be seen in cities all across Europe.



    Personally, I'd need to cut the roof off to be able to get into either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6813121].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

      Looks vaguely similar to the Mercedes SMART car, which everyone laughed at when they first became available, but can now be seen in cities all across Europe.



      Personally, I'd need to cut the roof off to be able to get into either.
      In the US, this is a special class of car! The name? Clown car!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6813528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    NOW, THIS is the type of reason that I don't thnk much about MIT. They have designed a car that is designed for the ULTIMATE in damage! I wouldn't drive is just because it is so small, but imagine how a bad collision could go. it would destroy the front of the car, the front of the top of the car, and possibly crush the legs of the occupants. It is just TOO small. And the folding concept is really good ONLY if it takes off and cities adopt it.

    As for the jetsons? WOOPIE! This is NOT a new idea! It HAS been done with bikes and motor bikes. Perhaps nobody did it with cars simply because they figured it was unsafe and/or would not sell. With bikes and motor bikes, you lose little safety, and the look/size can be virtually identical. But it doesn't bring us ANY closer to the jetsons that had cars that folded up more than anyone could imagine. Outside of animation, I doubt they ever could do that! A car that could seat 6 folding up into a regular size briefcase!?!?!?

    HECK, the car in question doesn't change volume AT ALL! It changes SHAPE! so it's length becomes shorter as the height becomes greater.

    steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6813600].message }}
  • The car is in a comfortable form when it is driven...(still not much cargo space)


    Then rolls into a smaller form to save parking space...it is mainly for cities where this is a problem.

    And the wheels turn sideways so you could slip into a space the length of a motorcycle.

    But a SMART backed in, takes up about that much width too...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6814100].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThomM
      For some reason I'm strangely attracted to it.
      That thing coming off the rear wheel, is that like a center stand on a motorcycle?
      Years ago 4 of my friends where able to tip over my VW beetle.
      I'll bet this is a 2 person tipper.
      Signature

      Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
      Getting old ain't for sissy's
      As you are I was, as I am you will be
      You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6814350].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

        For some reason I'm strangely attracted to it.
        That thing coming off the rear wheel, is that like a center stand on a motorcycle?
        Years ago 4 of my friends where able to tip over my VW beetle.
        I'll bet this is a 2 person tipper.
        I like it too...Wonder how it does in snow?

        And it looks like it actually has quite a bit of head room.

        It shows how much space in a "regular" car is spent on things like radiators, starters, pumps, exhaust systems, cooling systems, gas tanks, carburetors, alternators, starters, mufflers, oil pans, and all the other things not needed on an electric car.

        I bet owners will save a ton of money on fuel and maintenance over the life of the car.

        It's something that would go well with my old pickup truck.
        Signature
        Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
        Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6815707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    it is always good to see something practical and accessible coming from universities
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6816196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author A.Green
    Tiny cars, you say? Hardly innovation. The Poles had this figured out ages ago.



    (Polski Fiat. The things look like you could pick them up and walk off with them. Although granted, I've never seen a foldable one.)

    but can now be seen in cities all across Europe.
    Hmm. Not sure I've ever seen one, mostly because we still have ↑ those.
    Signature
    WritingThatPaysYou.com: specializing in health and home improvement.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6816635].message }}
  • Johnny Depp seems to favor the Fiat C... (doors and front seat optional)




    Fiat Nuova 500

    Those Italianos are still selling em'!


    Anyone remember the BMW Isetta?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6816676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rondo
    Electric cars are getting very expensive to run. Power prices here have doubled in 5 years, and are set to rise 20% per annum for another 5 years!


    Andrew
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6816974].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by rondo View Post

      Electric cars are getting very expensive to run. Power prices here have doubled in 5 years, and are set to rise 20% per annum for another 5 years!


      Andrew
      In the US it's estimated that it costs about 1/10th as much per mile to use electricity vs. gas to power a car.

      Plus, gas/oil will probably increase at that same rate and that's just another reason to get your own solar panels in Australia.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6816983].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rondo
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        In the US it's estimated that it costs about 1/10th as much per mile to use electricity vs. gas to power a car.

        Plus, gas/oil will probably increase at that same rate and that's just another reason to get your own solar panels in Australia.
        Electric cars aren't popular here because they cost a fortune. eg The Chevy (Holden) Volt costs more than 60K here! Then add another 4K for on-road costs and delivery.

        I agree about solar, but don't expect poorly made panels to last 25 years. Also you need to be careful about cowboy installers who appear along with gov rebated programs.

        They've developed solar paint which should be coming to market soon. That could be a game changer.


        Andrew
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6817027].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kurt
          Originally Posted by rondo View Post

          Electric cars aren't popular here because they cost a fortune. eg The Chevy (Holden) Volt costs more than 60K here! Then add another 4K for on-road costs and delivery.

          I agree about solar, but don't expect poorly made panels to last 25 years. Also you need to be careful about cowboy installers who appear along with gov rebated programs.

          They've developed solar paint which should be coming to market soon. That could be a game changer.


          Andrew
          This car is $16,000, which is why it's a break through.

          Almost all cells will last 25 years, whether the panels do is another question.

          In the US, to qualify for the 30% tax credit, you need certified/qualified installers and they can't be just anyone off the street.

          Now...Let's talk about the future of oil and the problems associated with it...
          Signature
          Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
          Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6817064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author A.Green
    Johnny Depp seems to favor the Fiat C... (doors and front seat optional)
    Lighter weight for better fuel economy. Johnny's a smart guy!
    Signature
    WritingThatPaysYou.com: specializing in health and home improvement.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6818222].message }}

Trending Topics