Free Speech On FaceBook and the WF

51 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I saw a FaceBook post today that had a picture of two guys and it was captioned "Dog Killers". Below the picture, it had a graphic description of a dog killing, the names of the guys in the picture, and where they might be found. There was also a plea to get people to share the picture. (49 people have shared it so far)

While I am very saddened that a dog may have been killed, unless these guys were tried and convicted, this is not an expression of free speech! This could be defamation and you could be held accountable simply for sharing the image on your website.

You don't know the story behind this tragedy or if a tragedy even occurred. For all you know, these two guys broke some girls heart and this is her way of getting revenge. That probably isn't the case, but do you want to risk being a part of that?

Free speech does not give anybody the right to say whatever they want. With free speech comes responsibility. You have the responsibility to be truthful when writing about other people. This goes for FaceBook, chat forums, books, newspapers, blogs, etc.

I see it happen here quite often. Somebody buys something and ends up coming to the forum to say they were "scammed" or the seller is a "thief", etc, etc. These are the types of things that can get you sued. There are dozens of cases where people have sued for much less and got awarded big money by the courts.

I know some of you will disagree and are thinking you have the right to post whatever you feel. This saddens me, because it is this kind of thinking that will eventually lead to overzealous lawmakers restricting all speech online.

Be smart with your words and keep yourself out of court.
#facebook #free #speech
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    Wise words.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
    Say it and forget it...post it and regret it.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketinguk
    I totally agree with you Brian, I think there's also a price to pay with every comment people make that's derogetary, misleading, angry etc.

    I recently noticed some guys going onto someone's visitor messages and posting asking for refund's even though the vendor made it clear to contact his personal support team.

    I think you're actually stating the obvious here, nothing revolutionary, and everything we say here is being looked at by many people and can come back to bite if you're not careful.

    In short apart from the valid legal ramifications you're referring to, I want to remind others that they're reputation is on the line every time they post these "I was scammed" type posts.

    If in doubt then don't say anything or at least think twice before posting!

    Joel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
    Ironically, you used this forum to publicly call someone a defamer. If you don't know the story behind the picture, what you said about the person posting it could be false and subject yourself to a lawsuit.

    Free speech does not depend on someone being tried and convicted.

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836549].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

      Ironically, you used this forum to publicly call someone a defamer. .
      Who did I defame? lol
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RichWill
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836647].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RichWill
        [quote=RichWill;6836647]
        Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

        Ironically, you used this forum to publicly call someone a defamer. If you don't know the story behind the picture, what you said about the person posting it could be false and subject yourself to a lawsuit.

        Free speech does not depend on someone being tried and convicted.
        .
        What does that mean??????

        Free speech is free speech until you slander someone. If the story turns out to be something other than what is stated, the person who wrote it and the people who share it should be held liable for their words.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836704].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
          Banned
          [quote=RichWill;6836704]
          Originally Posted by RichWill View Post


          What does that mean??????

          Free speech is free speech until you slander someone. If the story turns out to be something other than what is stated, the person who wrote it and the people who share it should be held liable for their words.
          It means exactly what he said, lol. Just because they haven't been tried and convicted doesn't mean it's not true.

          Meanwhile, do you know how many people are tried and convicted for the stuff they post on Facebook or the internet? Not very many in the grand scheme of things.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837428].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
            Originally Posted by Black Hat Cat View Post

            do you know how many people are tried and convicted for the stuff they post on Facebook or the internet? Not very many in the grand scheme of things.
            Convicted? I would guess not many, because for the most part, it is a civil situation and not a criminal one. How many are sued? Plenty. Not all result in a plaintiff victory, but just the cost of defending a defamation case is taxing, so why put yourself in that position?
            Signature
            My New Video Series is Free (for now)
            Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
            Get EBR 365 Now!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837464].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
              Originally Posted by drunkenmonkey View Post

              EBR..what point are you exactly trying to make?

              ...it's not clear to me what the point is?

              I'd like to add...do you actually understand what "free speech" is?..because your entire post is a contradiction.

              What exactly are you debating here?
              I thought the point was pretty clear, being: don't post stuff online about people that may not be true. Doing so may get you into a mess you don't want to be in.

              I didn't think I was debating anything, just making a commentary.
              Signature
              My New Video Series is Free (for now)
              Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
              Get EBR 365 Now!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837533].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author YourProfessional
                Originally Posted by drunkenmonkey View Post

                ^and that was your point.?

                Your not SMART for working that out.
                I'm going to take Brian's advice. Think about what I wanted to post and NOT comment on your completely, useless post with what I originally wanted to typed
                Signature
                Honest, No-BS Reviews Of WSOs...
                I test products... before I give my final review.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837729].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
              Banned
              Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

              Convicted? I would guess not many, because for the most part, it is a civil situation and not a criminal one. How many are sued? Plenty. Not all result in a plaintiff victory, but just the cost of defending a defamation case is taxing, so why put yourself in that position?
              Sigh, ok, we're going to play the legal jargon semantics game. Out of millions of instances like this, how many have actually been sued for sharing(not starting...sharing) something untrue on Facebook, or anywhere else on the internet that was started by someone else? Plenty? I kind of doubt it. Does it ever happen? Perhaps. Out of the millions of shares that might be considered defamation, libel, or whatever you want to call it, how often does it actually happen? As I said previously, in the grand scheme of things, almost never.

              By the way, the story in question here has already been shared 46,000+ times via Facebook. How many of those people would get sued if it turned out to be untrue? Probably zero. At worst, the one who started it would be the one sued. Scratch that.....at worst, the original person and Facebook would be sued. The other 45,999 who merely passed on what they heard for the most part have nothing to worry about.

              As for why would anyone put themselves into this position, who knows? Why would anyone drive a car considering how many people die doing it?

              By the way, the story in question here is apparently true, so it looks like no one is getting sued.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HostWind
    Often times when people jump to "thief" or "Scammer" it is simply name calling due to disappointment. I often find people making these claims are.. less than intelligent.
    Thats the wonder of the internet though!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author centurion81
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    I saw a FaceBook post today that had a picture of two guys and it was captioned "Dog Killers". Below the picture, it had a graphic description of a dog killing, the names of the guys in the picture, and where they might be found. There was also a plea to get people to share the picture. (49 people have shared it so far)

    While I am very saddened that a dog may have been killed, unless these guys were tried and convicted, this is not an expression of free speech! This could be defamation and you could be held accountable simply for sharing the image on your website.....

    ...Be smart with your words and keep yourself out of court.


    Very well said and I totally agree...there is a very fine line between freedom of speech and defamation of character.

    Andrew
    Signature

    Watch Free Internet Marketing Videos

    ******************************************

    Start Making High Converting Sales Videos Even If You Have ZERO Experience. Step by Step System!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836591].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Well said Brian!

      I often wonder why some people misconstrue "Freedom of Speech" for a license to say whatever they feel like and believe they'll suffer no consequences because they are protected by the Constitution of The United States. :confused:

      There is no such thing as a "Freedom of Speech" with no strings attached. For example, no one is free to publicly say anything even minutely resembling a death threat towards the President, for example. Repercussion will come swiftly!

      Although that is a biggie of an example, it should serve as a hint anyway that "Freedom of Speech" isn't a constitutional right platform to publicly badmouth or slander whomever you have a problem with at the moment.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836727].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author marketinguk
        Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

        Well said Brian!

        I often wonder why some people misconstrue "Freedom of Speech" for a license to say whatever they feel like and believe they'll suffer no consequences because they are protected by the Constitution of The United States. :confused:

        There is no such thing as a "Freedom of Speech" with no strings attached. For example, no one is free to publicly say anything even minutely resembling a death threat towards the President, for example. Repercussion will come swiftly!

        Although that is a biggie of an example, it should serve as a hint anyway that "Freedom of Speech" isn't a constitutional right platform to publicly badmouth or slander whomever you have a problem with at the moment.

        Terra
        Totally agreed Terra.

        Welcome back by the way I hope you had a great time.

        Joe Robinson and Terra back on the WF i'm feeling giddy LOL.

        Joel
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836759].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by Joel Ross View Post

          Totally agreed Terra.

          Welcome back by the way I hope you had a great time.

          Joe Robinson and Terra back on the WF i'm feeling giddy LOL.

          Joel
          Thank you, Joel!

          It's great to be back! I got behind a little on my to do list while taking 2 unscheduled trips this month, lol, but hey, they were all about family.

          Speaking of family, that's why I keep popping in and out here in between bouts of work.

          You're coming up quick on my list and will be hearing from me shortly.

          In the mean time, back to work for me.

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837170].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
            Banned
            Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

            Thank you, Joel!

            It's great to be back! I got behind a little on my to do list while taking 2 unscheduled trips this month, lol, but hey, they were all about family.

            Speaking of family, that's why I keep popping in and out here in between bouts of work. Terra
            Welcome back Terra ... I only became suspicious that the elusive Mr. Robinson was back because he thanked one of my posts. I don't know if you saw it, but I offered him candy if he'd come back. It looks like I may have to deliver.

            Good to see you. I didn't bribe you with anything, did I?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837209].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
              Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

              Welcome back Terra ... I only became suspicious that the elusive Mr. Robinson was back because he thanked one of my posts. I don't know if you saw it, but I offered him candy if he'd come back. It looks like I may have to deliver.

              Good to see you. I didn't bribe you with anything, did I?
              Thanks Suzanne!

              Haha, no, you didn't bribe me with anything but the smiles and chuckles I get from reading your posts is bribe enough to bring me back.

              Terra
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837700].message }}
  • I think media has a huge influence on people's life. In Taiwan, there's an organization that has their own media. Their main concept is to create or generate only positive thought or good news for people. I like their idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Mr. Kindsvater, E. Brian made it clear that it COULD be defamation IF the person posting the picture didn't know the full story behind it. No irony. Carry on.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      Mr. Kindsvater, E. Brian made it clear that it COULD be defamation IF the person posting the picture didn't know the full story behind it. No irony. Carry on.

      All the best,
      Michael
      I did originally say that calling somebody a killer without proof of a conviction is defamatory. Although, I don't see how I defamed any single person in particular by saying that, I did reword it in my edit. If so, I wonder who it is he thinks I defamed lol
      Signature
      My New Video Series is Free (for now)
      Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
      Get EBR 365 Now!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836855].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author marketinguk
        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

        Mr. Kindsvater, E. Brian made it clear that it COULD be defamation IF the person posting the picture didn't know the full story behind it. No irony. Carry on.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

        I did originally say that calling somebody a killer without proof of a conviction is defamatory. Although, I don't see how I defamed anybody by saying that, I did reword it in my edit. If so, I wonder who it is he thinks I defamed lol
        I don't know who he thinks you defamed as you didn't IMO.
        However, maybe Suzanne could let you know as she thanked his post, so maybe we're missing something pretty obvious?

        Joel
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836870].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Joel Ross View Post

          I don't know who he thinks you defamed as you didn't IMO.
          However, maybe Suzanne could let you know as she thanked his post, so maybe we're missing something pretty obvious?

          Joel
          I'm always tickled to hear a real lawyer's point of view. Nothing more than that. This thread is not about Internet Marketing or making money online and really seems like a silly thread about nothing. The OP didn't point out the alleged Facebook page so that we could check for ourselves on the validity of these arguments so it's all just yada yada yada.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837097].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author marketinguk
            Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

            I'm always tickled to hear a real lawyer's point of view. Nothing more than that. This thread is not about Internet Marketing or making money online and really seems like a silly thread about nothing. The OP didn't point out the alleged Facebook page so that we could check for ourselves on the validity of these arguments so it's all just yada yada yada.
            I understand where you're coming from Suzanne, gotcha!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837117].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author RichWill
            Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

            I'm always tickled to hear a real lawyer's point of view. Nothing more than that. This thread is not about Internet Marketing or making money online and really seems like a silly thread about nothing. The OP didn't point out the alleged Facebook page so that we could check for ourselves on the validity of these arguments so it's all just yada yada yada.
            So, you are saying that because the OP didn't further spread what could be defamatory content by placing a link, his point of not abusing freedom of speech is "yada yada yada"? That probably makes sense to somebody, but certainly not me.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837259].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
              Originally Posted by RichWill View Post

              So, you are saying that because the OP didn't further spread what could be defamatory content by placing a link, his point of not abusing freedom of speech is "yada yada yada"? That probably makes sense to somebody, but certainly not me.
              I guess this is what she needs. lol
              I blacked out the names...

              Signature
              My New Video Series is Free (for now)
              Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
              Get EBR 365 Now!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837284].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
                Banned
                Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

                I guess this is what she needs. lol
                I blacked out the names...

                Well, it appears to be a pic of two guys. Don't see a dog and don't see anything in the way of evidence that they are dog killers other than someone seems to think they are. Thanks for the pic to give the purpose of this thread a bit more clarity.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837349].message }}
              • All I can say after Googling "[search string excised]" is I wish E. Brian had chosen a different example of possible defamation.

                Don't look for this page. I mean it. Don't look.

                fLufF
                --
                Signature
                Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
                Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Free speech doesn't apply to posting on other peoples' sites and private property, such as the Warrior Forum or Facebook. In the case of the WF, it is Allen's free speech that comes into play, allowing what he wants and doesn't want, not my free speech. I like it this way, as it allows me to control what I want on my own sites.

    And the First Ammendment of the US Constitution doesn't apply to people not in the US.

    And the First Ammendment applies to Congress not restricting speech, not your boss, your favorite forum or your Mother-in-law.
    Signature
    Serious about Print on Demand? Discover how YOU can join my FREE exclusive secret alliance
    Plus how to get my Print on Demand Treasure Maps for FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6836904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeoDemon
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    I saw a FaceBook post today that had a picture of two guys and it was captioned "Dog Killers". Below the picture, it had a graphic description of a dog killing, the names of the guys in the picture, and where they might be found. There was also a plea to get people to share the picture. (49 people have shared it so far)

    While I am very saddened that a dog may have been killed, unless these guys were tried and convicted, this is not an expression of free speech! This could be defamation and you could be held accountable simply for sharing the image on your website.

    You don't know the story behind this tragedy or if a tragedy even occurred. For all you know, these two guys broke some girls heart and this is her way of getting revenge. That probably isn't the case, but do you want to risk being a part of that?

    Free speech does not give anybody the right to say whatever they want. With free speech comes responsibility. You have the responsibility to be truthful when writing about other people. This goes for FaceBook, chat forums, books, newspapers, blogs, etc.

    I see it happen here quite often. Somebody buys something and ends up coming to the forum to say they were "scammed" or the seller is a "thief", etc, etc. These are the types of things that can get you sued. There are dozens of cases where people have sued for much less and got awarded big money by the courts.

    I know some of you will disagree and are thinking you have the right to post whatever you feel. This saddens me, because it is this kind of thinking that will eventually lead to overzealous lawmakers restricting all speech online.

    Be smart with your words and keep yourself out of court.
    i totally agree with you, and i don't think that i'm free to say whatever i want or post it, i have to respect others feelings too. great post, thank you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andybeveridge
    I always think what comes round goes round. So I try and be as nice as I can to everyone.
    Signature

    Become a Digi Warrior and join us in the successful Dig Warrior IM Academy
    Join us at www.digiwarrior.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Well, so much for defamation. If it's true, it ain't defamation

    UpNorthLive.com - Latest local news, weather and high school sports for Northern Michigan

    The Crawford County man admitted he killed the pit-bull because it was aggressive. He also threatened to send the dog's head back to the owner.

    GRAYLING -- Update: Wednesday 3:15 PM: Dan Kelley, the owner of the dog, said the man responsible for shooting and decapitating the dog was Kelley's adopted brother. The two had a falling out recently and Kelley was in the process of moving out of the house they shared. As he was moving, he left Smokey the dog with his brother for a short time, which is when the incident took place.

    According to Kelley, the brother told him that the dog had to put down "peacefully", not mentioning anything about the decapitation. They later found the body and realized there was no head. The head was later dropped at the stop sign on the corner of Stephan Bridge Rd. and North Down River Rd.

    Kelley described Smokey as "so harmless" saying that one of his tricks was to eat a french fry out of Kelley's 4-year-old daughter's mouth.

    A family pet is at the center of disturbing controversy in Crawford County after it was shot by a man claiming the dog was aggressive. After the dog was shot the suspect called the dog's owner and threatened to send the animal's head to be mounted.

    ....
    The dog owner's sister, Jeniffer Price, said the following in a message with 7&4: "This whole thing has taken its toll on our family. Lots of lost sleep and much crying. Smokey was an amazing dog. He was my brother's best friend, his kid. One of the family."

    The incident is still under investigation and will be forwarded to the Prosecutor for criminal charges.

    Full Story Here

    For the full, uncut interview with the dog's owner,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    This is indeed a terrible story, but it doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't post things as fact without knowing for sure. I can't imagine why anybody would disagree with that. Also, note that the news article uses the word allegedly. That isn't by accident.
    Signature
    My New Video Series is Free (for now)
    Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
    Get EBR 365 Now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      This is indeed a terrible story, but it doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't post things as fact without knowing for sure. I can't imagine why anybody would disagree with that. Also, note that the news article uses the word allegedly. That isn't by accident.
      It also uses the words "the suspect confessed to killing the dog".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    I still don't understand what the argument is. This story may very well be true. I never argued that it wasn't true, but it doesn't change the fact that people should not blindly post things they don't know to be true, which was the intended message of this post. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would pretend not to understand that message or think that message is wrong.
    Signature
    My New Video Series is Free (for now)
    Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
    Get EBR 365 Now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838624].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      I still don't understand what the argument is. This story may very well be true. I never argued that it wasn't true, but it doesn't change the fact that people should not blindly post things they don't know to be true, which was the intended message of this post. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would pretend not to understand that message or think that message is wrong.
      It's not rocket science Eric. The posters are dog lovers. The crime was pretty atrocious. I'm sure they read about it the same local news that I posted, so they already knew that it was true. It isn't conjecture. Brothers have a fight. One brother kills others brothers' dog and cuts its head off and admits to both. Some people are outraged by cruelty to animals and feel the need to speak out about it. Simple as that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Becky Rogers
    Free speech does give you the right to say what you want. It's the fact that you are liable for the consequences that most people don't think about when they say it.
    Signature
    New! Simple, Proven Money Making Formula
    Revealed...No Selling, No Cold Calling,

    Plug In And Profit --->CLICK HERE!<---
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    I will never agree that it is ok to post what you feel is the truth, but don't know. There were two people in the picture. One allegedley confessed. If the other maintains he had nothing to do with it and if a jury agrees, he would have every right to go after folks that defamed him.

    The humane society is my number one charity and I too am saddened by the situation, but I'm also a trained journalist and I know the difference between reporting what you think or believe you know and what the absolute truth is. In this case, it all very well may be true, but the dog case was just an example anyway. I've said a couple of times what my point of the post is and have no reason to continue debating a police case. If you want to debate whether or not it's ok to post whatever you want online, regardless of truth, I'm happy to debate that all day.
    Signature
    My New Video Series is Free (for now)
    Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
    Get EBR 365 Now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      The story makes me sick but I understand exactly what Brian is saying. You can't just post things on your sites because someone tells you to - or someone say "this happened" or "these people committed a crime". When you do that - and the information is wrong - you have put yourself and your reputation at risk.

      It's like signing petitions just because someone tells you to without looking to see WHY the petition exists and whether it makes any sense.

      In Bibb Co, Georgia last year a man who beat his dog to death with a chain ended up being sentenced to 25 years in jail thanks to a D.A. who wouldn't let it go. Now, THAT'S justice.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6840497].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        I understand exactly what Brian is saying. You can't just post things on your sites because someone tells you to - or someone say "this happened" or "these people committed a crime". When you do that - and the information is wrong - you have put yourself and your reputation at risk.
        That doesn't seem to resonate with a lot of the folks here.
        Signature
        My New Video Series is Free (for now)
        Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
        Get EBR 365 Now!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6842857].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

          That doesn't seem to resonate with a lot of the folks here.
          Perhaps that is largely due to your example of defamation. A dog killer that admitted shooting and decapitating a dog and the friend who led the dog owner to the dead dog's body. Clearly, people in this country can and do voice their opinions on things that outrage them. I'm personally glad the Bill of Rights covers freedom of speech and it does define it as narrowly as you do. A case, as Kindsvater has attested to, does not have to go through the court system to conviction before people report and talk about it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    There were two people in that picture. One confessed, one didn't, that you know of. If that second guy is innocent, then the example I gave is dead on. The Bill of Rights does not supply a barrier of protection around you just because you believe strongly that somebody is guilty of something. That is journalism 101 (and probably first year of law school).

    If you say that somebody did something and it turns out they did, it is not defamation. If it turns out they did not do or is found innocent of what you stated they did as fact, it is defamatory and you could have legal action taken on you. By posting that a person is a thief, a murderer, or whatever just because somebody asked you to share it, you are putting yourself at risk. I challenge anybody (lawyer, garbage man, or waitress) to show me that is wrong.

    It seems you believe it should be a certain way and therefor, in your eyes, it is that way, even though the law and precedent says otherwise. I broke my rule already by debating somebody that refuses to acknowledge there's always the possibility they could be wrong. Unless that changes, I am forced to ignore your future posts.

    Peace, love, and happiness.
    Signature
    My New Video Series is Free (for now)
    Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
    Get EBR 365 Now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843535].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      There were two people in that picture. One confessed, one didn't, that you know of. If that second guy is innocent, then the example I gave is dead on. The Bill of Rights does not supply a barrier of protection around you just because you believe strongly that somebody is guilty of something. That is journalism 101 (and probably first year of law school).
      Apparently you did not view the video.

      The journalist uses the term "they" when referring to the crime
      The dog owner uses the term "they" when referring to the crime
      The friend assisted and had the head of the dog according to the video
      The friend quickly disappeared to Alabama after the crime
      The other person who was a friend of the brother, took the dog owner to the gravesite of the butchered dog
      The friend of the brother told the mother of the dog owner that "they" put the dog down humanely


      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      If you say that somebody did something and it turns out they did, it is not defamation. If it turns out they did not do or is found innocent of what you stated they did as fact, it is defamatory and you could have legal action taken on you. By posting that a person is a thief, a murderer, or whatever just because somebody asked you to share it, you are putting yourself at risk. I challenge anybody (lawyer, garbage man, or waitress) to show me that is wrong.
      You mean like when you accused me at least 4 times of copyright infringement with no basis in reality on this public forum before the mods deleted those posts? Oh, and another blogger of the same thing on your blog until you deleted that post?

      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      Unless that changes, I am forced to ignore your future posts.

      Peace, love, and happiness.
      I'm crushed. Really crushed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843797].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        Apparently you did not view the video.

        The journalist uses the term "they" when referring to the crime
        The dog owner uses the term "they" when referring to the crime
        Oh, I get it. Two people said both guys are murders, so it's ok for people to hang their picture on websites and facebook pages with the caption "murderers". I get it now. It's 100% true, because those two said so. I'm so silly to think that proof would have anything to do with what people should write.
        Signature
        My New Video Series is Free (for now)
        Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
        Get EBR 365 Now!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844028].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

          Oh, I get it. Two people said both guys are murders, so it's ok for people to hang their picture on websites and facebook pages with the caption "murderers". I get it now. It's 100% true, because those two said so. I'm so silly to think that proof would have anything to do with what you write.
          Again ... guess you didn't pay attention to the video even after I gave you a mini transcription. The "other guy" TOLD the mother of the dog owner that "WE" put the dog down. He took them to the place where the dog was buried and he had possession of the head. Yeah ... I know. Just an innocent bystander. :rolleyes:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844051].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    It's a good thing all 46,000 people that shared the image did the research to find out that these guys were guilty before sharing the photo (and before a trial). It's also a good thing that there are so many folks eager to muffle the message of "only state facts about people that you are 100% sure of", otherwise the Internet would be a really boring place that only contained the truth.
    Signature
    My New Video Series is Free (for now)
    Crazy good marketing tips from the founder of JVZoo.
    Get EBR 365 Now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844181].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      It's a good thing all 46,000 people that shared the image did the research to find out that these guys were guilty before sharing the photo (and before a trial). It's also a good thing that there are so many folks eager to muffle the message of "only state facts about people that you are 100% sure of", otherwise the Internet would be a really boring place that only contained the truth.
      Pot > Kettle
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844200].message }}

Trending Topics