15-Year-Old Girl Makes This Video Before Killing Herself -

60 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
This teenaged girl (Amanda Todd) committed suicide yesterday (Oct 10. 2012) after enduring months of bullying at school and in facebook, a boy duped her into flashing her breasts on a webcam and he captured pictures of it and then sent the pics of her naked chest to all her contacts in facebook, her friends, family and classmates.

  • Profile picture of the author YemTv
    Moral of the story is: Don't use facebook
    Signature
    CBDISCOUNTS - Clickbank Discounted Marketplace
    Magic Article Rewriter - SAVE $24 OFF!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7172797].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ashu55
      Originally Posted by YemTv View Post

      Moral of the story is: Don't use facebook
      +1 , Entertainment & Money dominates all in FB
      Signature
      Promote Your Logo / Brand in a Simple Creative Way
      ✧Unique ✧Cool ✧Creative
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7176090].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author candoit2
      Originally Posted by YemTv View Post

      Moral of the story is: Don't use facebook
      Especially if the one stalking you works for facebook.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    WOW! The person that persecuted her broke several laws. If he is like 17 or older, he could be in jail for YEARS!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174045].message }}
  • It is a shame that someone so young, felt like this was her only way out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Merlina
      Originally Posted by The Aussie Seo Guy View Post

      It is a shame that someone so young, felt like this was her only way out.
      No kidding.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    many so horrible, but had to watch it.

    this is so sad, and social media is ruining many lives, and the dark side of the net has always been there, and will always stay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JL8
    Yea i saw it on youtube and on my Facebook wall. its so sad...... get's you thinking about a lot of things that goes on in life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Atkins
    One should never send pictures like that to anyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7174829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author missmystery
    Even though she shouldn't have been slutty, she didn't deserve that. People do way worse and no-one cares.

    Makes me ashamed to be a human.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7175376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gary lee
    This guy and his buddies were criminals. It's really to bad that police departments in small towns do not have the smarts to prosecute cases like this.
    It reminds me of going to the police because I had an ex-employee who was fired constantly hacking into my sites which he built with back doors for just such an occasion. The police told me they didn't know if it was a crime to hack into a computer and shut down revenue producing websites. They couldn't help me at all even though I had server logs showing his IP and a pile of evidence, they didn't know anything about it.
    Signature
    Do NOT link to porn sites in your signature.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7175469].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by gary lee View Post

      This guy and his buddies were criminals. It's really to bad that police departments in small towns do not have the smarts to prosecute cases like this.
      It reminds me of going to the police because I had an ex-employee who was fired constantly hacking into my sites which he built with back doors for just such an occasion. The police told me they didn't know if it was a crime to hack into a computer and shut down revenue producing websites. They couldn't help me at all even though I had server logs showing his IP and a pile of evidence, they didn't know anything about it.
      HECK YEAH! If I were the chief of police, I would have charged him with harassment, extortion, rape, child porn, possibly some lower murder charge, etc... And asked for him to be caught and sent to my area where I would throw him in jail, and demand he be tried as an ADULT! I would then demand all copies, and state that the charges would be increased for all that pop up. Suicide WAS the only way out. Like she said, IT WON'T STOP!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7176804].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        Suicide WAS the only way out. Like she said, IT WON'T STOP!
        I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. It was the response to the events that made her choose this path - if she received real help from her parents and some "manning up" speeches, she may have not committed suicide.

        She said she lost all her friends - I disagree. I think that she thought her friends didn't like her anymore, so she stopped trying to get in touch with them - but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to make big claims.

        Anyway, my whole theory is that she just cared too much - not her fault, of course, but that's what killed her. And the girl that punched her probably did it because she cared too much as well; after all, she was surrounded by a bunch of people all wanting her to punch Amanda, and a guy screaming "punch her already", so she couldn't let them down.

        I'm sorry to hear the story, and I admit, it saddened me, but bullying won't stop anytime soon.

        P.S. Here's an article that relates to this situation: http://www.rsdnation.com/node/201931. Admittedly, it's aimed at men who want to meet women, and in an totally informal style, but the gist of it is really great.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178130].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

          I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. It was the response to the events that made her choose this path - if she received real help from her parents and some "manning up" speeches, she may have not committed suicide.
          People who haven't been subjected to this kind of torture can rarely understand the point of view, so your disagreement is understandable. "Manning up" speeches often aren't effective btw, and in fact just deepen the victim's belief that this is all their fault and that they're somehow broken.

          Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

          She said she lost all her friends - I disagree. I think that she thought her friends didn't like her anymore, so she stopped trying to get in touch with them - but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to make big claims.
          You're attempting to bring logic to an illogical situation. Depression will absolutely f*** your brain up. The poor girl didn't know any better, couldn't have known any better really.

          Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

          Anyway, my whole theory is that she just cared too much - not her fault, of course, but that's what killed her. And the girl that punched her probably did it because she cared too much as well; after all, she was surrounded by a bunch of people all wanting her to punch Amanda, and a guy screaming "punch her already", so she couldn't let them down.
          I'm going to chalk the "cared to much" attribution to the girl throwing the punch as something lost in translation because otherwise that is the sickest justification I've ever read.

          Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

          I'm sorry to hear the story, and I admit, it saddened me, but bullying won't stop anytime soon.
          Bullying won't stop: how it's handled can be changed though. Too many people stand by the sidelines and just watch. Too many people see a loner and put some retarded school social status above reaching out. Talking someone off of that ledge can be as simple as just saying hello when passing on the street, or asking someone who is sitting/eating alone if they'd like some company.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178360].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
            Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

            People who haven't been subjected to this kind of torture can rarely understand the point of view, so your disagreement is understandable.
            You're right, I haven't been subject to this kind of torture, but I wonder how did you know...

            Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

            "Manning up" speeches often aren't effective btw, and in fact just deepen the victim's belief that this is all their fault and that they're somehow broken.
            I wouldn't call them ineffective. They are certainly good if done by the right people in the right manner (well, they worked for me, anyway) - but I also include empathy in the manning up speech.

            Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

            You're attempting to bring logic to an illogical situation. Depression will absolutely f*** your brain up. The poor girl didn't know any better, couldn't have known any better really.
            I'm not trying to bring logic to an illogical situation - I'm talking from personal experience, and that's what my personal experience told me - but then again, I haven't had any serious bullying problems, just prolonged blue moments and the occasionally "making fun of" moments (which I think every person has, I hope!).

            Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

            I'm going to chalk the "cared to much" attribution to the girl throwing the punch as something lost in translation because otherwise that is the sickest justification I've ever read.
            I was attributing the "care too much" attitude to Amanda, not the girl throwing the punch, but I wonder what would the result be if nobody was paying attention to the scene, no one screaming to punch Amanda, and generally nobody caring about them two. Probably a different outcome, but that's just me.

            Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

            Bullying won't stop: how it's handled can be changed though. Too many people stand by the sidelines and just watch. Too many people see a loner and put some retarded school social status above reaching out. Talking someone off of that ledge can be as simple as just saying hello when passing on the street, or asking someone who is sitting/eating alone if they'd like some company.
            Yes, I see your points, but have you stopped and considered that there are people who would want to do that, but are afraid of what others will think, or that they'll get bullied too? The situation has lots of gray shades, it's not just black or white.

            Anyway, I still think that people care too much including the bullies as well: they just want to be the macho person in their group, so they pick on the weakest ones. There's just too much social pressure around these days (or perhaps it was always this way?).
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178613].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              You're right, I haven't been subject to this kind of torture, but I wonder how did you know...
              A sister subject to similar torture (who fortunately never got past the cutting stage).

              Putting my money where my mouth is and reaching out to people like I mentioned at the conclusion of the previous post. It's amazing what you figure out about the world and people in general when you move beyond "That sucks, next article *click*".

              Multiple in depth conversations with psych students, professors, and those with their own practices around Orlando. Psychology and human behavioral patterns are those loves that intrigue me enough to research but depress me enough to not want to make a career out of it.



              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              I wouldn't call them ineffective. They are certainly good if done by the right people in the right manner (well, they worked for me, anyway) - but I also include empathy in the manning up speech.
              Who is giving the speech and how it is delivered is of little consequence if it is not what the victim needs to hear. Sometimes people need to be told it is not their fault, given a shoulder to cry on, or just quiet company. It's up for someone licensed to decide, not posters on an internet marketing forum.



              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              I'm not trying to bring logic to an illogical situation - I'm talking from personal experience, and that's what my personal experience told me - but then again, I haven't had any serious bullying problems, just prolonged blue moments and the occasionally "making fun of" moments (which I think every person has, I hope!).
              Which brings us back to the original point. If you have not been subject to or intimately involved with torture on this level (it goes beyond bullying IMO), then you can't really assume to know "what works".



              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              I was attributing the "care too much" attitude to Amanda, not the girl throwing the punch, but I wonder what would the result be if nobody was paying attention to the scene, no one screaming to punch Amanda, and generally nobody caring about them two. Probably a different outcome, but that's just me.

              Nope, here are your exact words that elicited the response:

              And the girl that punched her probably did it because she cared too much as well
              Like I said the first time, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that something was lost in translation there because your other posts across the forum haven't displayed that level of complete ignorance.


              Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

              Yes, I see your points, but have you stopped and considered that there are people who would want to do that, but are afraid of what others will think, or that they'll get bullied too? The situation has lots of gray shades, it's not just black or white.
              I'll usually censor myself; but not now: that is complete horse shit. If someone really wanted to help they would do it. The reward of helping someone in need far outweighs perceived social status among retarded classmates so insecure in themselves that they target a helpless victim.

              To stand by and just allow to torture occur in front of your face is mental weakness. If you've done it, you should be ashamed; and don't expect me to recant that statement to protect your feelings. People die because of that s***, and it is preventable.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178695].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author SteveJohnson
                Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

                I'll usually censor myself; but not now: that is complete horse shit. If someone really wanted to help they would do it. The reward of helping someone in need far outweighs perceived social status among retarded classmates so insecure in themselves that they target a helpless victim.

                To stand by and just allow to torture occur in front of your face is mental weakness. If you've done it, you should be ashamed; and don't expect me to recant that statement to protect your feelings. People die because of that s***, and it is preventable.
                It is definitely mental weakness, and the most common name for it is peer pressure. I've seen otherwise thoughtful, caring teens do and tolerate things when they are with a group that they wouldn't otherwise. It doesn't excuse them, by any stretch, but it is a factor that needs to be considered and dealt with when it comes to these kinds of events.

                That, btw, is what I think the other poster was alluding to in the 'caring too much' remarks - caring too much about what other people think, not caring about the other person.

                I also think one of the major contributors to bullying problems in general are school administrators and their 'zero tolerance' policies. The bullies learn that while they may get a small punishment for bullying, their target also gets punished if they fight back. Double-win for them.
                Signature

                The 2nd Amendment, 1789 - The Original Homeland Security.

                Gun control means never having to say, "I missed you."

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7185836].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
                  Originally Posted by SteveJohnson View Post

                  It is definitely mental weakness, and the most common name for it is peer pressure. I've seen otherwise thoughtful, caring teens do and tolerate things when they are with a group that they wouldn't otherwise.<snips>
                  I frequently see adults do the same, whether due to meanness of their nature, cowardice, or indifference. In fact, adults who don't do that are the strong-minded minority.
                  Signature

                  Project HERE.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188106].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kay King
              Predators exist...bullies exist. Nothing has changed there.

              This story to me is more of a girl obsessed with popularity and lacking in self-respect and judgment.

              SHE put her "boob photo" online...because (a year before) someone online old her she was beautiful?

              SHE knowingly went where told and had sex with a boy who told her he had a girlfriend...knowing she was sneaking behind the girl's back...
              She "thought he liked me"... of a boy she KNEW was sneaking around. She was a booty call and didn't know it?

              This is a sad case but the reasons go far beyond predators and bullies. This girl had no moral compass, no sense of self worth and no limit to what she would do for attention and approval. It's a recipe for failure and fertile ground for predators and bullies.
              Signature
              Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

              Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178814].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
                Banned
                Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

                Joe, let's just agree to disagree.
                Of course.

                Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                Predators exist...bullies exist. Nothing has changed there.

                This story to me is more of a girl obsessed with popularity and lacking in self-respect and judgment.

                SHE put her "boob photo" online...because (a year before) someone online old her she was beautiful?

                SHE knowingly went where told and had sex with a boy who told her he had a girlfriend...knowing she was sneaking behind the girl's back...
                She "thought he liked me"... of a boy she KNEW was sneaking around. She was a booty call and didn't know it?

                This is a sad case but the reasons go far beyond predators and bullies. This girl had no moral compass, no sense of self worth and no limit to what she would do for attention and approval. It's a recipe for failure and fertile ground for predators and bullies.
                I wouldn't argue that Kay, how she became a victim wasn't exactly a savory situation and the internet escalates crap quickly. She's still a victim though, and the right kind of attention from the right people could have prevented the end result.

                I'm not saying that a hug and a "there, there" would fix everything. Suicidal teens tend to have deeply rooted problems that are blown up to ridiculous levels because of raging hormones. Helping that girl to lead a normal life would have taken time and probably years of therapy.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178900].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author HKSEO Jonbones
                Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

                Predators exist...bullies exist. Nothing has changed there.

                This story to me is more of a girl obsessed with popularity and lacking in self-respect and judgment.

                SHE put her "boob photo" online...because (a year before) someone online old her she was beautiful?

                SHE knowingly went where told and had sex with a boy who told her he had a girlfriend...knowing she was sneaking behind the girl's back...
                She "thought he liked me"... of a boy she KNEW was sneaking around. She was a booty call and didn't know it?

                This is a sad case but the reasons go far beyond predators and bullies. This girl had no moral compass, no sense of self worth and no limit to what she would do for attention and approval. It's a recipe for failure and fertile ground for predators and bullies.
                I agree 100%. I wonder if anyone ever explained to her that what other people think doesn't matter.

                As unfortunate as it is, society as it is now perpetuates these kinds of attitudes in kids--you have to be popular, you have to be famous, you have to be liked. The 'do anything for popularity' attitude has been around for a looooong time, just the advent of social media makes so much information available to everyone that wouldn't have had it before, and that information is disseminated so quickly that there is never hope of any social faux pas being swept under the rug like it was in my day. You did something dumb, and two weeks later, no one remembered it...now, you can go see anything stupid that anyone has ever done just by clicking into their timeline.

                Not social media's fault, but I won't say that SM being available didn't make things worse for her.
                Signature
                Letmeknowseo.comSEO News and tips From real SEO'ers!
                Linklicious- Get your links crawled, so they can count
                SEO Black Book By: R.L. Adams An Insider's Guide to the SEO Industry
                Glowing Reviews- Get your Online Business Reviews to STICK!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178933].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
          Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

          I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. It was the response to the events that made her choose this path - if she received real help from her parents and some "manning up" speeches, she may have not committed suicide.

          She said she lost all her friends - I disagree. I think that she thought her friends didn't like her anymore, so she stopped trying to get in touch with them - but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to make big claims.

          Anyway, my whole theory is that she just cared too much - not her fault, of course, but that's what killed her. And the girl that punched her probably did it because she cared too much as well; after all, she was surrounded by a bunch of people all wanting her to punch Amanda, and a guy screaming "punch her already", so she couldn't let them down.
          You really don't get it do you??? Don't judge people on how your life is! Everyone is different and everyone copes with situations differently.

          'Manning Up' speeches..... are you kidding me??? This girl was going through hell, no amount of manning up speeches were going to stop what was happening to her. She was being bullied in a very aggressive way.

          'She cared too much'...... are you kidding me??? She was constantly being harrassed, it led to anxiety, depression and panic disorder. Have you ever suffered from any of these conditions? If not, then you have NO IDEA what that girl was going through!!!

          She didn't just 'think' she'd lost her friends. She was being harrassed and her friends were being told about her past 'mistake' and she did lose her friends. She was alone.

          I can't believe this crap that you are saying..... seriously, all this girl wanted was to be accepted, to have some real friends that loved and cared for her. Is that really too much to ask?

          "but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to make big claims." You're right, it is your opinion and in my opinion, your opinion is wrong! And you ARE making big claims!

          Sorry..... but this sort of attitude really gets to me. The way people live and behave is as a result of their past....... so never judge a person when you don't know what they've been through.

          This story to me is more of a girl obsessed with popularity and lacking in self-respect and judgment.

          SHE put her "boob photo" online...because (a year before) someone online old her she was beautiful?

          SHE knowingly went where told and had sex with a boy who told her he had a girlfriend...knowing she was sneaking behind the girl's back...
          She "thought he liked me"... of a boy she KNEW was sneaking around. She was a booty call and didn't know it?

          This is a sad case but the reasons go far beyond predators and bullies. This girl had no moral compass, no sense of self worth and no limit to what she would do for attention and approval. It's a recipe for failure and fertile ground for predators and bullies.
          I really don't think this girl was obsessed with popularity..... she just wanted to be accepted. She just wanted SOMEONE to care about her. That's not too much to ask for and it certainly doesn't make her obsessed with popularity.

          When she flashed her boobs..... she was in 7th grade.... she was young and niave. She made a mistake and admitted that.... but like she said.... why did that mistake have to follow her around for the rest of her life. Everyone makes mistakes.... she didn't deserve for her life to be ruined because of a mistake she made in 7th grade.

          The boy she slept with, she thought he liked her. Of course she did.... it was someone paying her some attention and giving her some hope that someone cared about her.... in her state of mind she would have grabbed that chance of someone caring about her and I can completely understand that.

          It's so sad that this happened to her... but we need to keep in mind, this was a young girl, naive and had her life and mind messed with big time! She didn't deserve any of that and I hope the guy that took the photos rots in hell! And I hope those kids that beat her up carry that guilt of what they did to her for the rest of their lives!
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180582].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

          I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. It was the response to the events that made her choose this path - if she received real help from her parents and some "manning up" speeches, she may have not committed suicide.

          She said she lost all her friends - I disagree. I think that she thought her friends didn't like her anymore, so she stopped trying to get in touch with them - but that's just my opinion, and I don't want to make big claims.

          Anyway, my whole theory is that she just cared too much - not her fault, of course, but that's what killed her. And the girl that punched her probably did it because she cared too much as well; after all, she was surrounded by a bunch of people all wanting her to punch Amanda, and a guy screaming "punch her already", so she couldn't let them down.

          I'm sorry to hear the story, and I admit, it saddened me, but bullying won't stop anytime soon.

          P.S. Here's an article that relates to this situation: You Just CARE Too Much... | RSD Nation. Admittedly, it's aimed at men who want to meet women, and in an totally informal style, but the gist of it is really great.
          I was talking about a way out. Sorry, it WAS the only way out. GRANTED, she could have done MANY other things but they ALL would mean this could pop up again.

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180607].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salelink
    so sad its nt good thing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7175560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author esuresh
    Kill the one or all the people who did this to her. Nail all these B*****ds ALIVE.

    They never ever should even dream of bulling any body. Don't say God will punish him. No. God only helps these kind of people. In fact he is with them. He is frightened of them. God punishes only the weaklings. Amanda is a proof. If God punishes the bad then those idiots would have been dead by now. So this is another proof that even God punishes only the weak ones. He is frightened to touch the tough ones.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7175752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author merlinBRD
    unbelievable
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7175778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
    I don't think social media is the fault or whatever people like to say, I think teenagers are socially retarded in some places on Earth. Screaming "just punch her already" in a group where everyone can see you, or to post on Facebook things like "I hope she dies", where your name is clearly visible, are not signs of a socially balanced person. These all stem from the "I want to be cool" current, so don't expect bullying to be stopped just because of a sad turnover of events.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author candoit2
    Sounds like the primary person sending the photos was a 31 yr old man.

    Amanda Todd's alleged tormentor named by hacker group - British Columbia - CBC News


    This could be a case where a sicko adult got a 12 yr old to give photos and then blackmailed her for more. Then stalked her sending the photos wherever she went when she did not comply. In the end she killed herself.

    BTW.. I choose to remove the link that names the man, (if it is the right guy we will hear his name soon enough) but a disturbing part was he is a facebook employee and they found him with profiles and pics of her on child porn sites as well they claim.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178260].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fin
    I wouldn't shed a tear if vigilantes killed the guy, if he was the one who did the picture sending.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rhys Gronow
    This is disgusting - I hope the Bullies feel responsible for this girls death
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesColin
    Banned
    What about closing her facebook account and stop messing online?
    Yes I know it's easy to say but when you're so young you think differently, but still it didn't need to end up like this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesColin
    Banned
    It is to be noted that teens were suiciding before social media, because of bullying or because of several other reasons, so ok this suicide has been mediatized on an internet scale, but the same day probably dozens or more kids worldwide also have killed themselves for many "reasons" (I think valid reasons are very few indeed) and more will do today and tomorrow.

    So using this case to argue on a forum, well why not, there are also thousands of forums outside WF where people are arguiing weither or not blablabla.. that's often what forums are for. :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7178955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    This is second or third thread in here on this subject. I took time to look at her memorial page yesterday - and then the page of a tormenter. Yeah - there is (or was as of yesterday) a guy who has her face on his FB page. His whole page is bizarre, violent, vicious. He says things it's hard to imagine anyone saying to anyone else online - and a lot of unbelievably vicious remarks about Amanda.

    I reported the page - but it looked like a lot of people on Amanda's page were talking about it, too - and I'm not sure if they were reporting it. The person who owns that page is dangerously psycho.

    What I am wondering is how has that page managed to stay up for days and weeks with that kind of hate and crap all over it? It's not just Amanda - the guy hates the world. I'm watching FB censor legitimate political posts, but something as full of hate and harassment as that page is has been overlooked. Don't tell me I'm the first to push the "report" button on it. I won't believe that.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7179116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alistair
    I feel sorry for the girl not that it does any good but what gets me is the fact that generally everybody seems to hate bullies but then so many people seemed to bully her rather than try to help her that it doesn't seem to make make sense. I think it's whats known as deindividuation.

    I saw an experiment on the TV on it recently. It's surprising what a mob mentality can lead to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7179178].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I agree with the "get her off social media" thought above. I have a co-worker whose daughter was caught "sexting" and putting rather provocative (though clothed) photos online.

      My co-worker said she felt like she should "limit my daughter's access" to those sites but "she would be so upset".

      Upset her! Parent her! Is that too much to ask?
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180508].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        I agree with the "get her off social media" thought above. I have a co-worker whose daughter was caught "sexting" and putting rather provocative (though clothed) photos online.

        My co-worker said she felt like she should "limit my daughter's access" to those sites but "she would be so upset".

        Upset her! Parent her! Is that too much to ask?
        I agree totally Kay. My son is 13 years old and although he hasn't been caught up with any 'sex' stuff on Facebook, he was getting involved with Facebook fights that really got quite nasty. I had no problem removing his Facebook account. I didn't care that he would be upset because I knew that it was for his best interest in the long term. He hasn't had Facebook for a few months now and won't be getting it back any time soon.

        That is one step I think the parents should have taken, get her off Facebook altogether. But maybe they did and she found a way to get on it behind their back... who knows!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amarch81
    that boy should go to jail for life. I dont care how old he is. This is just terrible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7180606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
    OK, so obviously some people have a hard time controlling themselves. I don't know your problems, and honestly, I don't care, but one thing I don't understand are the way you've expressed yourselves.

    I may be wrong, but you could have politely disagreed, like Steve (seasoned) did. I still don't agree with his opinion, and he doesn't agree with mine, but at least he's diplomatic about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7182109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    You obviously don't have kids do you Lucian???
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7182361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author esuresh
    WOW! What rock did you crawl out from under. I suggest that you go and get back under your rock, better yet! Maybe take that rock and drop it on your head, that may wake you up a little bit.



    That rock droped on my head and I woke up man. That is why I said that. I woke up only recently .I still say that God helps only the tough. Not the weak ones. You must be a living proof. Right..?.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7182407].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
      Banned
      Originally Posted by esuresh View Post

      I still say that God helps only the tough. Not the weak ones.?.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7183209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    I'm not against free speech, I just think your opinion may be different if you had kids of your own.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7182687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author esuresh
    Good one MAN. Real good one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7183295].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Nice, now only people with kids are allowed to have an opinion. Brilliant. I wonder what's next: only people who lost their loved ones because of bullying will be allowed?
      You often don't get the point of comments made - but you are always quick to argue.

      Having children changes many things - and most of all your outlook. It just does and no amount of arguing negates that fact.

      Those who don't have children or haven't raised children may have good answers but parents have learned it isn't that easy.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7184311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
    kids are cruel. social media allows them to be even more cruel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7186925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author missmystery
      Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

      kids are cruel. social media allows them to be even more cruel.
      Internet bullying has been around for years - it's not a new thing. It's one of the more negative things about the internet - and as people are gutless they wouldn't say it IRL. I wouldn't be getting my kids mobiles too young or laptops etc. They can learn to socialise with people in the real world.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7187762].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kemcar
      This was really disheartening, I feel sorry for the girl who committed suicide to get rid of all that was happening around her. Would just like to say that everyone should use social media sensibly, for some it can be more than just networking .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Migster
    The even sadder truth is that this kind of thing is happening all over the country (right now).
    Signature
    http://Documentoz.com [go paperless]

    http://EntrepreneurModules.com/dap/a/?a=3 [simple ways to become an entrepreneur]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7187523].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189512].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      No one likes stories like this - but there's one factor that keeps coming to my mind. Bear with me here....

      Bullies at school or in the playground are bad and upsetting - but a child can escape to his home where he's safe.

      Social media has invaded that safe place to fall that we ALL need at times. It follows you into the house and into your room. Unless kids are forced by parents to distance themselves, teen emotion and peer pressure will make them visit those social sites over and over - even when the visits are painful.

      Where do kids escape to when there is nowhere a bully can't reach them? What happens to any of us when there is no safe place to hide and we can't stop the madness?

      So many parents have decided it's fine to allow even very young teens to have a computer in their room where no one else can see what's going on. So few parents take the time to investigate WHERE their kids go online and WHAT they are doing...or what is being done to them.

      Too much of anything is a form of gluttony - and that's what we have with social media and teens who are given unrestricted online access by laptop and phones. Slice it or dice it - it comes back to parents in the end.

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190521].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gedeon13
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        So many parents have decided it's fine to allow even very young teens to have a computer in their room where no one else can see what's going on. So few parents take the time to investigate WHERE their kids go online and WHAT they are doing...or what is being done to them.
        In simple worlds parents have to care about their children. It's not that important to investigate something, but simply care about them. By talking with them, being interested in their life, the things they love or hate and etc. If a child is not afraid to share even the baddest things with his parents then he has much lower risks of comitting a suicide. Ins most cases a suicide is a message that cannot be delivered in another way.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190584].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        No one likes stories like this - but there's one factor that keeps coming to my mind. Bear with me here....

        Bullies at school or in the playground are bad and upsetting - but a child can escape to his home where he's safe.

        Social media has invaded that safe place to fall that we ALL need at times. It follows you into the house and into your room. Unless kids are forced by parents to distance themselves, teen emotion and peer pressure will make them visit those social sites over and over - even when the visits are painful.

        Where do kids escape to when there is nowhere a bully can't reach them? What happens to any of us when there is no safe place to hide and we can't stop the madness?

        So many parents have decided it's fine to allow even very young teens to have a computer in their room where no one else can see what's going on. So few parents take the time to investigate WHERE their kids go online and WHAT they are doing...or what is being done to them.

        Too much of anything is a form of gluttony - and that's what we have with social media and teens who are given unrestricted online access by laptop and phones. Slice it or dice it - it comes back to parents in the end.

        kay
        A lot of that is certainly right, but there are some kids that are WORSE than wild animals. At least ANIMALS do it out of fear, territory, or for food. Some kids do it "just for fun". And everyone seems to want to protect the true "teratogonies". It is a pet name given to some kids that can mean "monsters". HERE, I use it in its REAL sense.

        The internet makes it MORE public, and can be anonymous, but otherwise makes no difference. HECK, many may not move out of a town, and disgrace in ONE school might as well have been over the whole planet. And such disgrace can be MINOR compared to a major disability.

        JUST TODAY, I read a story. It borders on religion and politics, so I won't give details, or a link. A TEACHER did SEVERAL illegal things to indoctrinate students. And ONE failed to do a task after two days of being told. Anyway, the "TEACHER" quickly pulled her hand(Which in many ways ITSELF IS ILLEGAL), quickly. Well, she was careless, and could NEVER know things only that little girl could know(Like where EXACTLY her body was in relation to various other things, how her body would respond, etc....), and so the girls hand was SPLIT OPEN by a piece of metal her hand was forced over. The teacher CLAIMS the allegations are false, but students, and parents that spoke to them, say the allegations are TRUE. The school district has decided to take it seriously.

        Still, things like that happen ALL THE TIME! Bullies are at ALL levels, and do things that touch EVERY aspect. Name calling, embarrassment, aggravation, distress, injuries of all sorts, etc....

        Are parents to blame? Often CERTAINLY! But don't claim it is ALL their fault.

        steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7193413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LarryC
    If this whole story wasn't sad enough, some bottom feeders are trying to cash in on it.

    Bullied Teen's Death Spurs Fake Sites - Yahoo! News
    Signature
    Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7192293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ahlexis
    One thing a lot of people do not realize is that in some cases a lack of self esteem is something that is learned from the parent(s). Sometimes an abused parent will be too busy dealing with the abuse to realize that they are passing on the bad habits that invite abuse into their children's lives. And abuse comes in more forms than just physical.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7195163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author glavilla
    I feel sorry for the girl. Before it happens the parents must do something about this. This is another incident of cyber bullying.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7197430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whland
    That's really sad. I could only make it through only the first 2 minutes and had to pause it.

    Chad
    Signature
    WebMasterBabble.com Webmaster Forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7206817].message }}

Trending Topics