Who Else Finds the Private Forum Ads Distracting?

47 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Seems unlike WF to have "Want to Run Your Own Private Forum Section" conspicuously on a distracting and annoying area.

The "The War Room" banner at the right hand below has been bugging and now another..
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    I take it you don't visit many other forums.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alistair
    I don't visit many other forums and agree it is slightly annoying but I can live with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262883].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      I don't find it annoying at all and hardly ever even notice it.

      I guess some people just don't handle even a little change very well.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      You are a free member (which is why you see the War Room ad banner) - you use this forum to advertise YOUR stuff for free in your signature.

      You are not in a position of strength to complain about the forum, in my opinion.

      Ads are the price you pay for using resources and running ads that cost you nothing. Deal with it:rolleyes:
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      My mind still thinks I'm 25.
      My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262923].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        You are a free member (which is why you see the War Room ad banner) - you use this forum to advertise YOUR stuff for free in your signature.

        Ads are the price you pay for using resources and running ads that cost you nothing. Deal with it:rolleyes:
        WF is free for a reason and will continue to be free for a reason.

        Remember, they say the best gift of life is FREE.

        Just because an item or service is free does not mean it should come out cheap or tell it to your eyes that you are getting less value because it's free.

        You are not in a position of strength to complain about the forum, in my opinion.
        Pls can you say WHY?

        Because it's free to join.

        I bet WF won't be happy with you for saying this..
        Signature
        Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
        Software & Mobile APP Developer
        Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263360].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Because it's free to join.
          Not any more it's not.

          You're "grandfathered in" because you were a member before it started, but as of 11 AM or so today, there is a $10 minimum fee to join the forum.

          Why? Lots of reasons. One of the smaller ones, but still significant, is people complaining about what they get (make that 'got') for free.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265188].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

            Not any more it's not.

            You're "grandfathered in" because you were a member before it started, but as of 11 AM or so today, there is a $10 minimum fee to join the forum.

            Why? Lots of reasons. One of the smaller ones, but still significant, is people complaining about what they get (make that 'got') for free.


            Paul

            Wow, I never thought the entire forum would become paid. I'm not complaining, just surprised.

            This actually could be a good thing for helping to thin out link spammers, most will move on to free forums for links.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265259].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
              Originally Posted by yukon View Post

              Wow, I never thought the entire forum would become paid. I'm not complaining, just surprised.

              This actually could be a good thing for helping to thin out link spammers, most will move on to free forums for links.
              I like the way you think.

              I was just wondering if trolls would pay to troll, lol!

              Hopefully they'll take a stroll and troll elsewhere now.

              Terra
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265309].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

            Not any more it's not.

            You're "grandfathered in" because you were a member before it started, but as of 11 AM or so today, there is a $10 minimum fee to join the forum.

            Why? Lots of reasons. One of the smaller ones, but still significant, is people complaining about what they get (make that 'got') for free.


            Paul
            Awesome! I see (or hope for) two immediate benefits:

            1. Fewer spammers!
            2. Fewer trouble-makers since they know if they get banned they can't just sign up under another name, it'll cost 'em money.

            I think the first will happen, not so sure about the second.
            Signature

            Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265346].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

            Not any more it's not.

            You're "grandfathered in" because you were a member before it started, but as of 11 AM or so today, there is a $10 minimum fee to join the forum.
            I saw that earlier. Not worried -- I've already paid for access in one way or another several times over the years and would again.

            However...there are a few people I wish you would "grandfather" OUT. Know what I mean? Probably not a snowball's chance but...

            Mark
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265365].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
            Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

            Not any more it's not.

            You're "grandfathered in" because you were a member before it started, but as of 11 AM or so today, there is a $10 minimum fee to join the forum.

            Why? Lots of reasons. One of the smaller ones, but still significant, is people complaining about what they get (make that 'got') for free.


            Paul
            Wow. Maybe the main forum will go back to this: Where We Talk About Making Money
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267268].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
              Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

              Wow. Maybe the main forum will go back to this: Where We Talk About Making Money
              Now that would be GREAT!

              I've stopped visiting the main forum here lately because of all the noise.

              I miss the old days of discussions on who, what, when, where, why and how to make money.

              Have a Great Day!
              Michael
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    I'm not in the habit of going into someone's house and complaining about the decor.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263177].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      I'm not in the habit of going into someone's house and complaining about the decor.
      True friends get to tell themselves what is good and bad.

      If i happen to visit a friend of mine and i discovered he has a new paint that looks odds or appear gay like, i will be the first to shout it out to him.

      I have been here long enough and love this forum for it's mode of operation, there is nothing wrong if i see something odd and decides to voice out.
      Signature
      Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
      Software & Mobile APP Developer
      Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263387].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      I always thought it was odd that I still see a banner for joining the "Warrior Forum" while I'm logged into the "Warrior Forum".

      Wasted banner space, IMO.



      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263681].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KimW
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        I always thought it was odd that I still see a banner for joining the "Warrior Forum" while I'm logged into the "Warrior Forum".

        Wasted banner space, IMO.



        I think that is relatively new too.
        I'd say it was just the past month or so that appeared,but I could be wrong.
        Signature

        Read A Post.
        Subscribe to a Newsletter
        KimWinfrey.Com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263733].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        I always thought it was odd that I still see a banner for joining the "Warrior Forum" while I'm logged into the "Warrior Forum".

        Wasted banner space, IMO.



        I forgot to mention that too, i actually started noticing it about a week or so.

        The first time i saw it, i thought i was a new member lol, there is no need for existing members to see a sign up page.

        And for the "The War Room" banner, it's actually a bit problem for some of us that uses smart phones to access WF occasionally, you hardly can give thanks because it blocks the "Thank You" link..
        Signature
        Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
        Software & Mobile APP Developer
        Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LarryC
    I think everyone has a right to voice an opinion about a forum, whether they own it or not and whether they are a paying member or not. Ultimately, a public forum depends on its members and here at the Warrior Forum everyone is a moderator. As long as you're reasonable and polite about it, you are helping the forum by expressing your opinion. Saying that you shouldn't criticize a forum sounds too much to me like people who say you're unpatriotic if you criticize your government.

    That said, I don't find the banner distracting at all. In fact, I probably would never have even noticed it if it weren't for threads talking about it.
    Signature
    Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263765].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      The criticism is about a forum that is privately owned and privately supported. Most people in business understand the profit motive and make the connection to advertising.

      Then again, some don't make that connection.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      My mind still thinks I'm 25.
      My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7264589].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
        Originally Posted by johnben1444 View Post

        True friends get to tell themselves what is good and bad.

        If i happen to visit a friend of mine and i discovered he has a new paint that looks odds or appear gay like, i will be the first to shout it out to him.
        Is Allen your friend? If not, you're comparing apples and oranges.
        Signature

        Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7264644].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
      Originally Posted by LarryC View Post

      Saying that you shouldn't criticize a forum sounds too much to me like people who say you're unpatriotic if you criticize your government.
      Not even close. Theoretically anyway, we all have a voice in government. This is a private concern. We don't get a voice in how the owner runs the place.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7264752].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LarryC
        Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

        Not even close. Theoretically anyway, we all have a voice in government. This is a private concern. We don't get a voice in how the owner runs the place.
        One person may own a forum, but it's still a public space that depends on its members. If I started a forum, sure I could make any rules I want but it wouldn't be very popular if I didn't consider the opinions of the members.
        Signature
        Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7268081].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
          Originally Posted by LarryC View Post

          One person may own a forum, but it's still a public space that depends on its members. If I started a forum, sure I could make any rules I want but it wouldn't be very popular if I didn't consider the opinions of the members.
          I think management here has been more than patient listening to opinions. On any given day you can go to the main forum and pull up a half dozen threads where someone is outright complaining about something here or elsewhere. Personally, I don't come here to read people complaining. The OP was complaining. Period. Many members are sick of the constant petty complaining.

          As for legitimate suggestions and opinions, sure. But as I just mentioned, admin here does listen, way more than I would if I were running the joint.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7268218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    If you were a War Room Member you wouldn't see the War Room ad and you are complaining about the "Want To Run Your Own Private Forum Section?" - Contact Me!" ad that takes up 1/60th of your browser screen while surfing the Warrior Forum?

    The War Room is a repository of Gold and the option to Run your own Private Forum Section on the Warrior Forum is Platinum for the knowledgeable marketer!

    The Coffee is over there ----> and the Roses are over there ---->

    Good Luck to You!

    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    PS, See my post above!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7264671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    It's not a big deal If that banner (Join WF) stays or goes, just thought I would mention I'm a WF member & still see a "Join WF" banner, while I'm already logged in.

    I just want everyone to be happy, lol.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Same here Mark.
    Allen is a good example of not being afraid to fail,and also the fact that people remember successes and forget the failures.

    There have been a couple of offshoot ventures from The Warrior Forum that had additional fees to them and I gladly paid them,but they are long gone.
    Did I complain? No, I tried to learn from what happened instead.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Ah, crap. You guys had a BBQ and I missed it.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265625].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Makes me wonder- do bots have paypal accounts? If not, could be a rough place for them going forward. Shucky-darn....poor bots.
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

      My mind still thinks I'm 25.
      My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7265684].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Yukon,
      Wow, I never thought the entire forum would become paid. I'm not complaining, just surprised.
      Why? It started out that way. $37 or $47, and nothing like the current value.

      Ask Steve (seasoned) or KimW or Kurt or Mark Singletary or Mike Ambrosio or a ton of other still-active members...

      Joseph,
      Well, as of right now the "Want to Run Your Own Private Forum Section" banner is gone.
      Once it's been explained, it will be back. And folks like johnben1444 will be cutting their own throats for not thinking about what it meant.

      But then, most of our members from Nigeria couldn't join in the fun anyway.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266206].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Kay,
        you use this forum to advertise YOUR stuff for free in your signature.
        Not any more he doesn't.

        I am probably just about as sick of the "I can't have everything I want for free, so I'm going to create villains" crap as Allen is.

        As an old boss of mine used to say, many years ago, "Loose cannons go overboard."


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266267].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        Yukon,Why? It started out that way. $37 or $47, and nothing like the current value.

        Ask Steve (seasoned) or KimW or Kurt or Mark Singletary or Mike Ambrosio or a ton of other still-active members...l

        The reason I was surprised was I've been here two years & it's always been free (besides the War Room).

        Again, I'm not complaining. I would most likely pay higher If it was required to be a member. I think the payed membership is a good thing, it will defiantly help remove the fake comments spammers/bots post in order to drop links.

        This subject does bring up an interesting marketing idea. Even when something was once free, people will still pay for the same product (in this case a forum membership).

        Looking at the Google Cache for the main forums members count, I see at least 6 new members that I suppose have paid $10 for a membership.
        587,625 - 587,619 = 6
        That Google Cache is todays date so it's been less than 24 hours since Google did the Cache, I'm sure there's been more than 6 new members sign up under the paid membership.

        I guess my point is, I'm thinking maybe I should try this on my own sites considering I give away a lot of free content (2,500+ pages) in order to generate traffic (traffic lure). I have 3 sites in the same niche, I might test this on one site to see what happens.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7267973].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        Yukon,Why? It started out that way. $37 or $47, and nothing like the current value.

        Ask Steve (seasoned) or KimW or Kurt or Mark Singletary or Mike Ambrosio or a ton of other still-active members...


        Paul
        I recall it being $47 when I joined back in 2000 or 2001. I remember because I was very deep in debt back then and the $47 was something I had to budget...

        I lived on that "hidden" page with all the downloads. Still remember the UN and PW too

        The ads don't bother me. I am a War Room member so the only one I saw was the forum ad at the bottom of the page. It stood out because of the colors...but after about 15 minutes I stopped noticing it.
        Signature

        Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7269415].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

          I recall it being $47 when I joined back in 2000 or 2001. I remember because I was very deep in debt back then and the $47 was something I had to budget...

          I lived on that "hidden" page with all the downloads. Still remember the UN and PW too

          The ads don't bother me. I am a War Room member so the only one I saw was the forum ad at the bottom of the page. It stood out because of the colors...but after about 15 minutes I stopped noticing it.

          I only noticed the banner to join the forum while I was logged in because I click the link that has my member name that goes to my profile (link directly below the banner). The banner isn't a big deal, it just doesn't serve any purpose (I'm already a member).

          IMO, that banner asking to join the Warrior Forum (while already logged in) is prime real estate on the web page, simply because the location of the member link directly below the banner that points to the profile page. I'm sure most members click that link multiple times a day (I know I do).

          Personally, I would be selling that specific banner location (top/right of page) for Ad space for anyone that's logged in. Not that I like being hit with banners, never know, I might see something IM related that I'm interested in buying.

          I'm also a War Room member, I still see the banner to join. When I click that banner/link the page tells me I'm already registered.

          Again (everyone), I'm not trying to nit pick, just some end user feedback.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7269984].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
    dumb question ... maybe... can non members still access and purchase WSO's ?

    or do they have to sign up first ?
    Signature

    Selling Ain't for Sissies!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266302].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

      dumb question ... maybe... can non members still access and purchase WSO's ?
      Not dumb. And yes, they can.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266308].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        JohnBen1444,

        You want to complain about Allen's advertising to you? I turned off your free advertising to the X,xxx,xxx members of this forum.

        Now. How does that trade look, sir?


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266342].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          True friends get to tell themselves what is good and bad.
          True friends don't lie to each other about where they're from.
          WF is free for a reason and will continue to be free for a reason.
          Wow. "Will continue to be free" a mere 7 hours before that stopped being true.

          People like you are part of the reason this site is no longer free for everyone.

          Happy?


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7266399].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          JohnBen1444,

          You want to complain about Allen's advertising to you? I turned off your free advertising to the X,xxx,xxx members of this forum.

          Now. How does that trade look, sir?


          Paul
          I have been away and just got back to see i have created a lot of catastrophy, not because my sig is gone but because revolution is everywhere.

          It's actually a welcome idea because i can freely talk because am paying to be here.

          About the ads that cause the whole issue, are you guys still bringing it here, if yes, find a better place to have it positioned.

          I actually love the new steps and changes WF is taking now, i have been anticipating things like this.

          This will help fight spam and keep the forum cleaner.
          Signature
          Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
          Software & Mobile APP Developer
          Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7268803].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            i can freely talk because am paying to be here.
            You are grandfathered in - so still have paid nothing. You were free to talk before - but not always free to complain. I doubt that will change.
            Signature
            Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

            My mind still thinks I'm 25.
            My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7268957].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
            Originally Posted by johnben1444 View Post

            It's actually a welcome idea because i can freely talk because am paying to be here.
            Actually (and I'm sure Paul or someone will correct me if wrong) paying does not give you any more freedom, leeway, or right to do anything. For example, I've heard that they sometimes ban WSO sellers (have paid) or other long time members (regardless of when or if they paid).

            "Paying" your way into a party at my house by, for example, buying drinks or bringing chips does NOT give you the right to harass my wife, pee on the carpet, get too loud, talk bad to the other guests, etc. I'll kick you out and still eat your chips or drink your stuff.

            Mark
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7269690].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
              Mark,
              Actually (and I'm sure Paul or someone will correct me if wrong) paying does not give you any more freedom, leeway, or right to do anything. For example, I've heard that they sometimes ban WSO sellers (have paid) or other long time members (regardless of when or if they paid).
              No correction needed.

              Paying doesn't make anyone exempt from the rules.

              We occasionally get sellers or advertisers who become quite peeved when they talk about how much they spend here and are told the moderators don't take that into account.

              You would think they'd know that, since the rules for advertising are clearly posted in each section.


              Paul
              Signature
              .
              Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7270212].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
              Banned
              [DELETED]
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7270252].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
                Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

                I said SORRY. Can we stop bringing that up?
                I STILL don't know what you were drinking that had purple and green in it. That stuff is hard to get out of white carpet you know?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7270270].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Horny Devil
                Banned
                Originally Posted by Mark Singletary View Post


                pee on the carpet
                Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post


                I said SORRY. Can we stop bringing that up?

                Wondered why your new avatar pictures you in a neck high incontinence suit Joe

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7270309].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mojojuju
    Ads? I think the off-topic forum is what's distracting. I have things to do but I spent five minutes being distracted and reading every post of this thread. Please stop distracting me from my work, off topic.
    Signature

    :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7269249].message }}

Trending Topics