Obese who refuse to exercise 'could face benefits cut'

56 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
BBC News - Obese who refuse to exercise 'could face benefits cut'
Smart cards would be brought in to monitor the use of leisure centres, meaning local authorities could reduce welfare payments for those who fail to follow their GP's advice.
Resident, housing and council tax benefit payments "could be varied to reward or incentivise residents", the report said.
It claims "early intervention techniques" could help save more lives and money.
These include linking welfare payments to healthy lifestyles and rewarding those who take responsibility for their own health, the report's authors claim.
Sounds like a practical idea to trim the fat from your budget to me...any thoughts?
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas
    Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

    Smart cards would be brought in to monitor the use of leisure centres...
    Swipe in, read the newspaper in the changing rooms for an hour, and swipe out again.

    Problem solved.

    Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

    ...any thoughts?
    I don't know how it works in other countries, but there's a reason why what's referred to as "benefits" in the article is referred to as "social insurance" here: as a taxpayer, I pay for it, with the understanding that should I be unable to work for whatever reason in the future (disability, unemployment, etc.), I would be able to "claim benefits" that I've already paid for, in the same way you do with any insurance policy.

    To put it another way, I'd be pretty f**king annoyed if I had a car accident, and my car insurance provider said, "Sorry... you can't claim for what you've paid for because we think you're too fat or <insert latest social engineering fad here>!"

    Why should the insurance I pay to guard against unemployment/disability/etc. be any different?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562145].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
      LOL.. It was just about time.

      Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

      Why should the insurance I pay to guard against unemployment/disability/etc. be any different?
      Well, I don't think it's like insurance at all. You pay for the whole of your insurance... But, in "social insurance", someone else is paying for a part of it (or you are paying a part of someone else's, whichever way you look at it).

      Anyone who wants insurance CAN BUY insurance. Then what about the poor one might say. Well, I've seen poor people (there are many in my country) and none of them are even slightly overweight. Also, having this kind of policy will act as an incentive for so many.

      Though tracking people through smart cards sounds ridiculous.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562276].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thomas
        Originally Posted by Sumit Menon View Post

        Well, I don't think it's like insurance at all. You pay for the whole of your insurance... But, in "social insurance", someone else is paying for a part of it (or you are paying a part of someone else's, whichever way you look at it).

        Anyone who wants insurance CAN BUY insurance.
        But that's how ALL insurance works - someone else pays part of it or, more accurately, millions of other people pay for part of it (i.e. you pool the risk); if you had to pay for the expected benefit entirely by yourself, then it's not insurance.

        And social insurance is called that because it IS insurance. And, yes, it is compulsory for anyone who works, but then motor insurance is compulsory for anyone who drives... and professional indemnity insurance is compulsory for anyone who practices a whole range of professions... and home insurance is compulsory for many mortgage holders... etc.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564076].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
          Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

          But that's how ALL insurance works - someone else pays part of it or, more accurately, millions of other people pay for part of it (i.e. you pool the risk); if you had to pay for the expected benefit entirely by yourself, then it's not insurance.

          And social insurance is called that because it IS insurance. And, yes, it is compulsory for anyone who works, but then motor insurance is compulsory for anyone who drives... and professional indemnity insurance is compulsory for anyone who practices a whole range of professions... and home insurance is compulsory for many mortgage holders... etc.
          I beg to differ. Although the social insurance system may function like an insurance system, I don't think they are similar at all. (It's like calling a computer a clock because it also shows the time.) When I buy private insurance, I choose to enter into that transaction. So, if my money is given to someone not deserving it, that's a CHOICE I made. I can opt-out anytime I want (I may not get the money back but like I said it's just a choice I have.) However, I CAN'T choose to pay my taxes. So, if I'm spending my money anyhow and can't opt-out, I want my money to be accounted for. I don't mind if a poor guy who's having a hard time feeding his family gets it, but when you give it to a fat guy to buy more junk food, I sure as hell have a problem with that.

          And about certain insurances being compulsory, two things -
          1) I haven't heard of compulsory insurance in my country (There maybe compulsory motor insurance but I don't know. I'm pretty sure there is no home or professional insurance here). You seem to presume that just because certain laws exist, they must be right. And, even if they were right, at least I can choose between different insurance companies but I pay tax to only one entity.

          2) Owning a motor vehicle or home is different than working. You HAVE to work to survive. While motor vehicles and homes are more of a convenience than a necessity.

          Sumit.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7569747].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

      Swipe in, read the newspaper in the changing rooms for an hour, and swipe out again.

      Problem solved.



      I don't know how it works in other countries, but there a reason why what's referred to as "benefits" in the article is referred to as "social insurance" here: as a taxpayer, I pay for it, with the understanding that should I be unable to work for whatever reason in the future (disability, unemployment, etc.), I would be able to "claim benefits" that I've already paid for, in the same way you do with any insurance policy.

      To put it another way, I'd be pretty f**king annoyed if I had a car accident, and my car insurance provider said, "Sorry... you can't claim for what you've paid for because we think you're too fat or <insert latest social engineering fad here>!"

      Why should the insurance I pay to guard against unemployment/disability/etc. be any different?
      I can see your point when put that way Thomas, but perhaps there should be a limit of expectation? At least putting in an effort - quid pro quo. For instance, look at that fellow who weighed like, 700+ lbs awhile back, (who passed away, I think?) who had all the (10-12?) 'attendants' and social service looking after his needs, (it was widely publicized in the British press, I would need to find the story)....but had he been required to take better care of himself early on, he may not have come to that - it may seem Draconian, but could it also change some mindset?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562347].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

      Swipe in, read the newspaper in the changing rooms for an hour, and swipe out again.

      Problem solved.



      I don't know how it works in other countries, but there a reason why what's referred to as "benefits" in the article is referred to as "social insurance" here: as a taxpayer, I pay for it, with the understanding that should I be unable to work for whatever reason in the future (disability, unemployment, etc.), I would be able to "claim benefits" that I've already paid for, in the same way you do with any insurance policy.

      To put it another way, I'd be pretty f**king annoyed if I had a car accident, and my car insurance provider said, "Sorry... you can't claim for what you've paid for because we think you're too fat or <insert latest social engineering fad here>!"

      Why should the insurance I pay to guard against unemployment/disability/etc. be any different?
      Unemployment and disability are FIXED!!!!!! If you have a salary of say 10000 euros a month, you have no right to expect the value of a payment to exceed that.

      Health insurance has effectively NO cap! A person making $10,000 a YEAR might have a problem that could cost over $300,000 a year just for basic treatment!

      So the two are VERY different!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Monroe
    Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

    BBC News - Obese who refuse to exercise 'could face benefits cut'
    Sounds like a practical idea to trim the fat from your budget to me...any thoughts?
    Thats a good move in my opinion.

    So if they're not actively making SOME sort of effort to lose weight, get fit and become healthier why should the tax payer continue to support them?


    Took a quick look at the article, and they say they could save more than five billion, so I say go for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
    If only they'd take a similar measure toward people who refuse to work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pickthat apple
    Being obese is not fun and makes you die sooner. If some emergency measures is what it takes to shake people up...very well, I say.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      The disappearance of "consequences for actions" has hurt society in my opinion.

      I worked for a mid-size company in the 90's that had a "self insurance" plan that was common (at least at the time). A co-worker had a difficult birht and was advised by her doctors to undergo sterilization as another pregnancy would be extremely high risk.

      She refused and was pregnant again the next year. The result was months of ICU for both her and her baby and that was followed by more months of hospitalization.

      Her medical bills bankrupted the company's insurance plan and hundreds of employees permanently lost their company paid insurance.

      Was that fair? No, it wasn't. I don't think you should add rules to force people to live a healthy lifestyle - but I think perhaps penalties to protect other people from paying for your unhealthy choices is not a bad thing.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7562743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    WHAT do they mean by obese? How do they determine if a person is exercising?

    Did you know that some people really CAN'T exercise?

    When I Had my AORTA problem, I had to go into physical therapy. I saw an interesting paradox! One person there had BAD lungs, and needed a lung transplant. Ironically, her lungs weren't good enough to qualify! You heard me right!!!!!! She had to walk about 20 feet within a given period and, if she couldn't, she had to wait. I don't recall her passing, but she DID have problems.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Tell them your not fat you just have big bones.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563439].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Tell them your not fat your just have big bones.
      LOL Yukon,

      Or that you're not overweight, just six inches too short!

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    All I know beyond a shadow of a doubt is that there is no reason to be fat. No judgement, but there just isnt any good reason. I, as Sumit mentioned, have never seen a fat person who was food deprived for any significant length of time, so it isnt about hormones. Again, no judgement. Mostly I think people stay that way because of strongholds in the mind.

    Some come to a place where they just cant believe for themselves that they can be otherwise, or the road looks too long, they get mentally trapped.

    "Whats the use of trying..." kind of thinking.

    I sometimes intentionally go for up to a week without eating personally, for spiritual reasons... it doesnt kill you, and you cant stay fat. Its just a mental disciplin thing.

    Its just my personal opinion, but I think it's healthy to give your body a break from food sometimes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563460].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
      You can save a lot more money by not having any welfare payments at all.

      Joe Mobley



      These include linking welfare payments to healthy lifestyles and rewarding those who take responsibility for their own health, the report's authors claim.
      Signature

      .

      Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563545].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
        Originally Posted by Joe Mobley View Post

        You can save a lot more money by not having any welfare payments at all.

        Joe Mobley
        That'll certainly keep the Prison Industrial Complex profitable.
        Signature
        Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
        It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564806].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
          Ah... An emotionally charged, linguistics placeholder completely devoid of facts. People often use this as personal justification for false beliefs.

          Or perhaps you have some evidence to support your position that we should continue to be taxed to keep the prison population down. How's that working out so far?

          Joe Mobley


          Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

          That'll certainly keep the Prison Industrial Complex profitable.
          Signature

          .

          Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565472].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            since just getting out of bed drastically changed your metabolism. OF COURSE you would lose weight.
            Not quite - I was in bed due to a difficult pregnancy. After I had the baby I went on a diet for six weeks and lost the weight. It was easier because I was active but I still had to cut back on calories for a while.
            Signature
            Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

            Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565523].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author seasoned
              Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

              Not quite - I was in bed due to a difficult pregnancy. After I had the baby I went on a diet for six weeks and lost the weight. It was easier because I was active but I still had to cut back on calories for a while.
              OK, if you were pregnant, you might as well be talking about TWO people! NO comparison! Different hormones, metabolism, need, ability, etc...

              Steve
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565647].message }}
  • We could probably start by declaring and classifying soda-pop and candy as 'non-essential' food items...(for assistance programs)

    Oh, but then we would have to contend with the cadre of lawyers at Coca-Cola...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563672].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by MoneyMagnetMagnate View Post

      We could probably start by declaring and classifying soda-pop and candy as 'non-essential' food items...
      I dont think welfare should be taken away, because some are in catch 22's like a single woman with 5 kids who spends more on daycare than she can make on her paycheck for instance... they need help sometimes, and help finding better opportunities that are realistic for their situation...(I would like to think that us warriors help with that part) , but I TOTALLY agree that the items purchased should be more heavily regulated.

      On another note, welfare and food stamps do benefit those who work in food processing plants and grocery stores, so in a sense it also produces jobs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563692].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
        I totally disagree with your premise. Why should anyone who refuses to accept the consequences of their decisions, good, bad or indifferent be entitled to any of my money?

        Joe Mobley


        Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

        I dont think welfare should be taken away, because some are in catch 22's like a single woman with 5 kids who spends more on daycare than she can make on her paycheck for instance... they need help sometimes, and help finding better opportunities that are realistic for their situation...(I would like to think that us warriors help with that part) , but I TOTALLY agree that the items purchased should be more heavily regulated.
        Signature

        .

        Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563734].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Young Financier
        Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

        I dont think welfare should be taken away, because some are in catch 22's like a single woman with 5 kids who spends more on daycare than she can make on her paycheck for instance... they need help sometimes, and help finding better opportunities that are realistic for their situation...(I would like to think that us warriors help with that part) , but I TOTALLY agree that the items purchased should be more heavily regulated.

        On another note, welfare and food stamps do benefit those who work in food processing plants and grocery stores, so in a sense it also produces jobs.
        That's why you avoid putting yourself in such situations. If it was hard after the first child being a single mother, why go out and have four more? I've seen women like that my whole life and I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. They're getting things paid for by welfare programs while the person who's working and contributing is having a difficult time. It reminds me of something I saw in a grocery store a while ago. I saw a working woman with a small cart of food (I know she was a working woman because I shop where she works). But then you had a woman checking out who had on all the latest clothes and shoes that costs hundreds of dollars...who also had a cart full of food and was paying w/ an EBT card. To me, something is wrong w/ that whole system.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563795].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by Sean T Alexandre View Post

          If it was hard after the first child being a single mother, why go out and have four more?
          Why do you assume that all single parent women had a child as a single person, then had four more?

          What about moms who lose their husbands due to accidents or illness or active military duty after the five children are born?

          This right here is one of the major reasons we are seeing these ridiculous preemptive movements in insurance companies and the like. Preconceived notions and assumptions coupled with greed.

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563829].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by Sean T Alexandre View Post

          That's why you avoid putting yourself in such situations. If it was hard after the first child being a single mother, why go out and have four more? I've seen women like that my whole life and I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. They're getting things paid for by welfare programs while the person who's working and contributing is having a difficult time. It reminds me of something I saw in a grocery store a while ago. I saw a working woman with a small cart of food (I know she was a working woman because I shop where she works). But then you had a woman checking out who had on all the latest clothes and shoes that costs hundreds of dollars...who also had a cart full of food and was paying w/ an EBT card. To me, something is wrong w/ that whole system.

          I heard a song once about a guy who was homeless, and people were making fun saying he was a bum, then someone said "He watched his wife and kid get killed in a car accident and it rendered him unable to mentally function...".

          I think there are alot of situations in life like that, especially given the fact that my family has a ministry that is associated with a food bank for the purpose of helping people in those situations, there are alot of things that are hard to intellectualize until you are in the situation. I personally have cold called myself out of holes before, and might think "there's no excuse for someone else not to do the same"...but because of the fight or flight ways people deal with things, I think there are some people who would be so broken that they couldnt do it. Honestly.

          I dont know, just expressed an opinion. I may be wrong, but Im glad people who need help have it. Its no skin off my nose.

          I DO know that some DO take advantage and could do better for themselves...ALOT of people.

          Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

          Why do you assume that all single parent women had a child as a single person, then had four more?
          Even if they did... if you have been raised with a solid family and have had success principles and common sense drilled into you all your life, you may not understand how a person who screws up alot and DIDNT have a solid upbringing thinks the way they do...or you may take for granted that you didnt get your solid thinking naturally, it was taught to you, and you may not understand or really grasp that if it wasnt, it may be difficult to make right choices for real.

          In any event, whatever will be will be. The poor will always be with us. If their werent stupid people the others couldnt feel so smart. Contrast is a part of life.

          I guess the real answer Sean is that they arent as smart as you, but that may not be their fault entirely, understanding that may enrich your wisdom beyond what it even is now, and make it even more useful.

          One thing we CAN do is share what we know about making money.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7563970].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
            Originally Posted by John Durham View Post




            Even if they did... if you have been raised with a solid family and have had success principles and common sense drilled into you all your life, you may not understand how a person who screws up alot and DIDNT have a solid upbringing thinks the way they do...or you may take for granted that you didnt get your solid thinking naturally, it was taught to you, and you may not understand or really grasp that if it wasnt, it may be difficult to make right choices for real.

            In any event, whatever will be will be. The poor will always be with us. If their werent stupid people the others couldnt feel so smart. Contrast is a part of life.
            Indeed contrast is a part of life. This is a good place to start. What you say sounds good in theory, but isn't always the case.

            Many people who grow up in homes where common sense and success principles were drilled into them every day do not carry on in this same manner. Have you ever heard of the black sheep of the family, the one who is outlandishly different than the rest, the family embarrassment?

            On the flip side of the token, there are those who grow up in the worst of circumstances and rather than continuing on in the same manner as the rest of the family does, they go on and become successful. They don't become part of the welfare system, they work hard, put themselves through college or they live a life free of delivering abuse because they were abused or they choose a life of sobriety rather than becoming another drunk.

            The way we were raised doesn't always dictate how we live our lives. We either choose to live what we have learned or we learn what we will not live or become, things we will not do. Everyone has the choice as to how they choose to live their lives, the power resides and burns within us all. It's up to us whether we wield that power or let the flames become glowing embers that eventually just die out.

            Life experiences can make us bitter or better, it's the "I" that makes the difference.

            Terra
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564173].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    unemployment benefits and associated benefits for wont of a better word are undeniable rights

    the reason there is rampant unemployment is poor decision making by governments, so let them pay
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564001].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      unemployment benefits and associated benefits for wont of a better word are undeniable rights

      the reason there is rampant unemployment is poor decision making by governments, so let them pay
      Well, I disagree with the first since the second implies that THEY pay. The government doesn't really pay for anything. They act like a big central middle man. They take from one to pay for another based on what THEY want. and that is certainly not capitalist.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565243].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        that is certainly not capitalist.

        Steve
        but, by your definition, nor am i
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7566753].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
      Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

      unemployment benefits and associated benefits for wont of a better word are undeniable rights

      the reason there is rampant unemployment is poor decision making by governments, so let them pay
      LOL! And where do you think the government pays from? Its ultra-profitable investments?

      It's not the government's responsibility to create jobs. It is their responsibility to harbor an environment where jobs are created. The government on its own can never create enough jobs without delving into deep debt (barring maybe in a few countries that have tiny population). We tried to do that in India from 1947-1991. It did not work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7569873].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
        Originally Posted by Sumit Menon View Post

        LOL! And where do you think the government pays from? Its ultra-profitable investments?

        It's not the government's responsibility to create jobs. It is their responsibility to harbor an environment where jobs are created. The government on its own can never create enough jobs without delving into deep debt (barring maybe in a few countries that have tiny population). We tried to do that in India from 1947-1991. It did not work.
        it is the governments responsibility to create employment. unemployment is not working - think about it
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7572131].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by hardraysnight View Post

          it is the governments responsibility to create employment. unemployment is not working - think about it
          But they CAN'T! They DON'T have stores or provide a service and how could they pay ANYWAY? Their job should be to GET OUT OF THE WAY!

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7572188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Personally I think its pretty cool that everyone in Libya gets a free home when they get married and free electricity, to me thats a leader really loving his people. Its not charity, its just the benefit of being under leadership that cares about you and wants to make your life easier.

    I think living in a country that assists people is a blessing... being ABLE to give is a blessing.

    Before I go sounding too nice: Being obese?

    Thats just laziness and lack of self control. You can work on that, even if your belief is down, you can work on building your belief.

    My grandmother always told me there is nothing uglier than a man with a big belly hanging over his belt and there's no reason for it...Guess it just stuck.

    Just an opinion.

    I guess another reason for it is just not caring...if thats the case, more power to you. Maybe your wife likes it. lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      WHAT do they mean by obese? How do they determine if a person is exercising?

      Did you know that some people really CAN'T exercise?
      Of course that's true for some people - and there are other benefits such as disability that apply to them. If you can't exercise, you can reduce caloric intake. No matter how many expensive diet plans are sold it still comes down to calories in and calories out in the end.

      A society is worthless unless it helps the least able in the society. The problem we have at times is the wish to "help" can open the door to making people more dependent rather than less and to taking because they "want" rather than because they need.

      I have a friend who constantly complains about her weight (no question of whether she is obese or not - you only have to look once) - and claims she is "disabled" due to it. She'll eat an entire family sized bag of potato chips while she talks about it. I have no doubt her movements and comfort are limited due to her weight - but it's a self imposed problem.

      I guess she's an ex-friend now. I got tired of listening to her diet talk. Also of her nasty comments to me about "it's easy because you're thin" - I'm thin because of good genes but also because I watch what I eat and exercise. New concept - denying self indulgence?

      I had one time when I was overweight due to stuffing my face for a couple months while on enforced bed rest (what else you gonna do but read and eat?).

      It was only 20 lbs or so and I lost it quickly but it was uncomfortable. I wondered how people get through normal daily activities carrying dozens or more of extra pounds. I guess it's like carrying around a 30 lb toddler - you get used to it.
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564131].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post


        It was only 20 lbs or so and I lost it quickly but it was uncomfortable. I wondered how people get through normal daily activities carrying dozens or more of extra pounds. I guess it's like carrying around a 30 lb toddler - you get used to it.
        I once got overweight by about 50 pounds, I like to stay at around 174, that feels good to me (light on my feet...) ...I was about 220.

        Being embarassed to take my shirt off while helping a friend with a construction project in the heat. He proceeded to explain to me that cutting some carbs and just doing a few pushups per day would stress my body just enough to start putting out more than it was holding in... made sense.

        I started doing pushups against a counter top...then worked my way down to the floor within a week or so...and I did them only 10 reps at a time, ten times throughout the day... It wasnt hard, just a short burst that lasted maybe 15 seconds at ten different intervals throughout the day. within a few weeks I could do fifty at a time...and by working out like that and adding a few sit ups only 15 minutes per day, it changed my whole body within a couple of months and I felt better than ever and had cuts I hadnt seen in years.

        I doesnt take ALOT of disciplin, just consistent disciplin. Even 15 minutes a day and changing a few small things in your diet. It doesnt have to be an insane workout, or an insane change of diet...just consistent.

        Once you go five days and dont eat at all, if one is inclined to try it, you will find that your body craves things like apples...and grapes... you really dont need all that crud, its just a trap your mind has fallen into. Your mind calls for it, but once you empty yourself you will find that your body naturally is satisfied with healtier things, and sugar can come from places other than soda and be just as sweet.

        I know thats hard to imagine if you are entrenched in the belief that you HAVE TO HAVE soda...try starving yourself for a week (Edit: That advice is not for everyone) , you will find that the body appreciates much less.

        After a few days of not eating its amazing how even cauliflower with some dressing tastes totally awesome and satisfying, but you wont know that as long as you are training your body the other way. It would be very enlightening for some to find that out.

        Cut out all sugar for a week, then eat an apple. You will be amazed how sweet it is.

        Ps. Of course Im just agreeing with you kay, this post isnt directed at you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564181].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Of course that's true for some people - and there are other benefits such as disability that apply to them. If you can't exercise, you can reduce caloric intake. No matter how many expensive diet plans are sold it still comes down to calories in and calories out in the end.
        Still, there are things preventing cutting back on calories, etc...

        A society is worthless unless it helps the least able in the society. The problem we have at times is the wish to "help" can open the door to making people more dependent rather than less and to taking because they "want" rather than because they need.
        NO existing society has striven to help the LEAST able. It may SEEM that way, but they haven't. They would go broke trying to do so, and STILL fail.

        I fully agree with your second statement. THAT is the big problem.

        I have a friend who constantly complains about her weight (no question of whether she is obese or not - you only have to look once) - and claims she is "disabled" due to it. She'll eat an entire family sized bag of potato chips while she talks about it. I have no doubt her movements and comfort are limited due to her weight - but it's a self imposed problem.
        Yeah, I think I mentioned it here, but I knew a man like that once. All remarked of how his arms were so strong, etc... I told him he should try to work out his legs more. He would rather have people help him with his powered scotter, etc....

        I guess she's an ex-friend now. I got tired of listening to her diet talk. Also of her nasty comments to me about "it's easy because you're thin" - I'm thin because of good genes but also because I watch what I eat and exercise. New concept - denying self indulgence?
        Yep. OBVIOUSLY the person you speak about could have easily lost weight. Potato chips have a TON of fat. Even changing the BRAND could cut her calories there by FIFTY percent!

        I had one time when I was overweight due to stuffing my face for a couple months while on enforced bed rest (what else you gonna do but read and eat?).

        It was only 20 lbs or so and I lost it quickly but it was uncomfortable. I wondered how people get through normal daily activities carrying dozens or more of extra pounds. I guess it's like carrying around a 30 lb toddler - you get used to it.
        Yeah, you get used to it. Your example is a bad one though, since just getting out of bed drastically changed your metabolism. OF COURSE you would lose weight.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    My goal in life is to become completely round, I'll eventually be measured by circumference instead of height. My theory is, rolling is more efficient than walking.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564358].message }}
    • Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      My goal in life is to become completely round, I'll eventually be measured by circumference instead of height. My theory is, rolling is more efficient than walking.
      So maybe that's what Da Vinci was trying to get at?...it all makes much more sense now...:rolleyes:

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

    Welcome to socialism, folks.
    Erm, except that it's a right wing government that's bringing this change about.

    Welcome to capitalism, folks.

    Only corporations and the top 1% are "entitled" to welfare payments.
    Signature
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7564813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

      Erm, except that it's a right wing government that's bringing this change about.

      Welcome to capitalism, folks.

      Only corporations and the top 1% are "entitled" to welfare payments.
      Interesting. A big talk show host only a couple days ago stated how you are right. He railed against one loophole, that I railed against here earlier. Long story short? He said MY taxes are going up, and Buffets AREN'T! To put it another way, he said the loophole means that those that HAVE wealth can keep it, and use it to become richer while others can't get the wealth since such an action means more taxes.

      BTW that SPECIFIC example is not welfare, though some would like you to believe it is. WELFARE is more like the shutting down of the keystone pipeline which, ironically, means that buffet can get RICHER! Just one little example. Ironic, HUH!?

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565261].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        My goal in life is to become completely round, I'll eventually be measured by circumference instead of height. My theory is, rolling is more efficient than walking.
        As a friend once said...."If that woman was 4" taller, she'd be round"
        Signature
        Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

        Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7565279].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

      Sometimes, I don't believe the replies I get.

      I really don't.
      Sometimes I don't believe the replies I get.

      I really don't.
      Signature
      Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon.
      It'll just knock over all the pieces, poop on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7566697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    On an entirely other note: Its amazing how deep fried chicken liver starts to taste good at 43. Whoda thunk it? Just picked some up at a gas station deli, on a whim, and its awesome! Lol Cant believe I hated this stuff! You guys gotta try it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7572249].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      On an entirely other note: Its amazing how deep fried chicken liver starts to taste good at 43. Whoda thunk it? Just picked some up at a gas station deli, on a whim, and its awesome! Lol Cant believe I hated this stuff! You guys gotta try it!
      NO THANKS! I just got some dessicated liver tablets!

      I used to LOVE braunschweiger Braunschweiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But I think they changed the spices, etc... and I didn't like it the last few times I had it.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7572269].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sumit Menon
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      On an entirely other note: Its amazing how deep fried chicken liver starts to taste good at 43. Whoda thunk it? Just picked some up at a gas station deli, on a whim, and its awesome! Lol Cant believe I hated this stuff! You guys gotta try it!
      Liver!?

      I'll wait till I'm 43. Maybe you lose some tastebuds as you get older.

      Sumit.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7575204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author waterotter
      Originally Posted by John Durham View Post

      On an entirely other note: Its amazing how deep fried chicken liver starts to taste good at 43. Whoda thunk it? Just picked some up at a gas station deli, on a whim, and its awesome! Lol Cant believe I hated this stuff! You guys gotta try it!
      I absolutely hate liver, but I do love deep fried ice cream
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7575452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    This is exactly the type of crap we can expect when the gov takes over our "health". It's been shown in study after study after study that all those nice little toxic chemicals they are allowing to be dumped into our food and water (and general environment, cleaning products, self-care products, etc) and the GMO foods they are trying to force feed us will make people extremely fat and unable to lose weight -- then they FORCE us to pay for health care insurance and cut the benefits for any reason they can think of.

    It's bull shit. If they want us healthy - take the poisons away from us, not our health care.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7623962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      This is exactly the type of crap we can expect when the gov takes over our "health". It's been shown in study after study after study that all those nice little toxic chemicals they are allowing to be dumped into our food and water (and general environment, cleaning products, self-care products, etc) and the GMO foods they are trying to force feed us will make people extremely fat and unable to lose weight -- then they FORCE us to pay for health care insurance and cut the benefits for any reason they can think of.

      It's bull shit. If they want us healthy - take the poisons away from us, not our health care.
      I learn more each day Sal, to put more faith in our spiritual walk and dont regard the government at all, they dont have the answers to our problems. Just walk as an individual and make choices guided by your spirit no matter what comes your way. Dont count on the world to get better, just get better yourself. Follow the spirit, and let that be your fascination. This world is going to hell in a handbag. It wont get better.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7623990].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      This is exactly the type of crap we can expect when the gov takes over our "health". It's been shown in study after study after study that all those nice little toxic chemicals they are allowing to be dumped into our food and water (and general environment, cleaning products, self-care products, etc) and the GMO foods they are trying to force feed us will make people extremely fat and unable to lose weight -- then they FORCE us to pay for health care insurance and cut the benefits for any reason they can think of.

      It's bull shit. If they want us healthy - take the poisons away from us, not our health care.
      I was looking into hydroponics, and researching tilapia. Apparently, the default sex for TILAPIA is MALE! Tilapia females, probably to give their young a decent chance in the wild, dig up their fertilized eggs, and keep them in their mouth. Until the young hatch, they don't eat. That means they don't grow as fast as the males.

      They found that if they mix species they can come up with tilapia that look/taste normal, but are genetically mixed up. MOST will be MALE! Of course, they can also give them a virus(Made out of a human and monkey virus), and do the same thing.

      It makes you want to raise your own if you like tilapia! And if you raise your own tilapia using such a hybrid, they will gradually get worse and worse!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7625022].message }}

Trending Topics