My Farewell...(Updated 6/13 With 4 New Songs)

39 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
...to rock and roll.

This is going to be a bit of a long post so I don't really expect many people to
read the whole thing. So for anybody who wants to cut to the chase, there are
a few music links at the end of this you might want to check out. However, they
are not rock or pop music songs. So you might want to hang around for some of
what's to follow before you end up listening to something that just might take
you by surprise.

I've been trying to make it in the pop music business as a songwriter for 35
years with no success.

The reasons are simple. My demos.

I can't sing.
I don't play very well.
My lyrics are so-so
My recording quality is poor.

You put all that together and you simply aren't going to impress a publisher
or anybody for that matter.

But I always knew my music, which is all I ever really wanted to be was a
composer, was good.

So I finally decided to take away all the things that made my music bad.

The singing
The playing
The lyrics
The recording quality

I was determined to make it all about the music and nothing else.

Well, I finally have.

Growing up with a classical background and even getting a music minor in
college, I realized that it was time I went back to my first love.

Composing classical music.

So I recently got a hold of Finale 2012 and started writing.

No singing
No lyrics

The playing? The software plays everything back note for note perfectly so
there is no quality loss there.

The recording quality? Straight from the software to wav file. No noisy
analog processors anymore or any of that.

Finally I have recordings that I would be proud to play for anybody who
appreciates classical music. Naturally, I'm not going to play this stuff for
most of my friends, but whatever. I can't worry about that anymore. I was
so hung up on creating music to impress them that I forget that I should have
simply been concentrating on doing what I'm good at.

See, classical music may not be your cup of tea but nobody can tell me this
stuff isn't good. Beethoven good? Maybe not. But there are few Beethovan's
today and I think I've got just as good a chance of being published as anybody
else.

I don't quite know the classical music scene as well as I know the pop scene
for getting published but my choir director (she's the one who actually got me
into doing this) lives next door to a Grammy Award winning artist who happens
to be into the classics. So maybe he can help me out.

Bottom line is, I'm saying goodbye to rock and roll. I've given it 35 years of
my life and it's given nothing in return. I'm going to be selling my recording
equipment and just keeping one keyboard to help me with my composing.

Even though, professionally, this has been the most difficult time of my life
for me, it's probably the happiest I've ever been in my life. When and if you
listen to the compositions below, you might actually hear that in the music.

But my days of singing bad pop songs and playing meh keyboards and tapping
out drum parts that are, in a word awful, are over. My days of bad lyrics
and even worse recordings are over.

I don't regret the years I put into pop music. I've written a few things that I
actually like. That has to mean something. But this CD I'm working on (I have
6 compositions done so far) is without a doubt the best music I've ever
written. It's not even close.

All the compositions have been written for full orchestra. Let me tell you, if
you've never tried doing that before, it's real culture shock. It's harder than
it looks. A LOT harder than it looks.

Anyway, here are the 6 compositions with a brief description for each one.

In The Clear Night Air -1:31

A cross between Murder She Wrote and The Three Stooges. Short, bouncy,
catchy, and living proof that you still can't take the pop out of the classics.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...ight%20Air.wav

A Day At The Circus - 2:16

Similar kind of tune to Air. This one is very catchy and probably my personal
favorite "fun" piece. I could picture this being a theme for an old 80s TV show.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...e%20Circus.wav

Of Love And Tears - 2:59

This one slows it down and is a bit more esoteric. It does pick up a little
towards the end but for the most part, it's a mellow piece. Kind of haunting
at times, especially the main theme.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...nd%20Tears.wav

The Grand Jester - 3:21

A rather simple piece as far as arrangement. Mostly piano and strings with
some harp and assorted brass and woodwinds during the middle section.
I love the "ELO" like low strings in the last 20 seconds or so. Yeah, I'll always
have a little rock in me to the end.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...d%20Jester.wav

Call Of The Wild - 2:29

I sometimes can't get this one out of my head. It's a call to animals and if
you listen carefully, you can hear the theme and how, at the end, they all
come together. Very catch "pop" kind of "hook" at the end that has had me
up at nights. Love the way it builds during the "Hey Jude-ish" finale.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...The%20Wild.wav

The Great Days Of Old - 5:31

This is my showcase piece. It's a rhapsody, which means it has about 10
different parts (Hello Bohemian Rhapsody) and about 5 or 6 key changes.
This is probably the best piece of music I've ever written. I gave a copy of
this to my choir director on Sunday. I hope she likes it.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...20Of%20Old.wav

Added 6/13

The Royal Wedding - 2:16

Second of a 3 part suite. Starts slow with bells and some funny stuff. But builds towards the end. Kind of the way I picture a royal wedding. Jester was
part 1.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...%20Wedding.wav

Enter The Emperor - 2:50

The piece is another rhapsody and all over the place but finishes the way it
begins.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...%20Emperor.wav

Spielplatz Kinderlied - 2:07

My wife said this sounded like a merry go round so I came up with the name
which means playground children's song.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...Kinderlied.wav

The Last Chord - 3:07

Another rhapsody that rocks at the beginning after the intro. The rhythms
in this get really funky. The finale is pure schmaltz.

http://www.stevewagenheim.com/music/...st%20Chord.wav

That's it. I hope you like it, though I really don't expect a lot of folks to even
listen to this stuff. Classical music is really an acquired taste if you've been
brought up during the age of rock and pop music. I was lucky. I had a mom
who was a concert pianist AND an opera singer.

Mom, I miss you. I wish you could have been around to hear these.

Any comments are welcome but not expected.

At least you won't have to listen to me sing, play, or make crappy recordings.
  • Profile picture of the author ThomM
    Steve could you give us the links to The Grand Jester and Call of the Wild?
    I thought the compositions you linked to where very, very, good.
    Signature

    Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
    Getting old ain't for sissy's
    As you are I was, as I am you will be
    You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

      Steve could you give us the links to The Grand Jester and Call of the Wild?
      I thought the compositions you linked to where very, very, good.
      Of course I would forget a couple of links Thom. That's what happens when you
      get old.

      I edited the OP and the links are there now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162299].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Of course I would forget a couple of links Thom. That's what happens when you
        get old.

        I edited the OP and the links are there now.
        Okay, thanks, off to listen...

        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162318].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Of course I would forget a couple of links Thom. That's what happens when you
        get old.


        I edited the OP and the links are there now.
        You kids, come talk to me when you actually get old
        Again very, very, good. I liked the flow in all of them.
        I could easily listen to an album of your classical works.
        Signature

        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
        Getting old ain't for sissy's
        As you are I was, as I am you will be
        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162357].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

          You kids, come talk to me when you actually get old
          Again very, very, good. I liked the flow in all of them.
          I could easily listen to an album of your classical works.
          Well, when it's completed, I'll be putting it up for sale on Amazon and possibly ITunes. I don't really know what I'm doing with it yet though. If I can get this stuff published by somebody "important" maybe I'll someday hear it played on those long haired classical stations.

          Now if only I could remember where mine are.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162636].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Wow Steve!

      I liked them all and at this point, The Great Days of Old is my favorite. I really felt the passion in that one.

      My favorite may change if you post the links to the two that you didn't though. If you do post them and my favorite changes, I will let you know.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162313].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

        Wow Steve!

        I liked them all and at this point, The Great Days of Old is my favorite. I really felt the passion in that one.

        My favorite may change if you post the links to the two that you didn't though. If you do post them and my favorite changes, I will let you know.

        Terra
        Yeah, that one was pretty much 35 years of music locked up inside of me that
        never had a chance to come out. I hope my choir director likes it too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162324].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Okay, I liked those too, but I'm keeping my fav the same.

          Steve, I really don't see how she couldn't like it!

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162347].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
            Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

            Okay, I liked those too, but I'm keeping my fav the same.

            Steve, I really don't see how she couldn't like it!

            Terra
            Thanks Terra. That means a lot to me. Our choir director is very special to me. She's the one who actually inspired me to start writing "real" music (boy am I gonna get a lot of slack for that comment. LOL)

            Who knows. Maybe I can get something published now.

            I'm certainly going to give it a shot.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162360].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
              Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

              Thanks Terra. That means a lot to me. Our choir director is very special to me. She's the one who actually inspired me to start writing "real" music (boy am I gonna get a lot of slack for that comment. LOL)

              Who knows. Maybe I can get something published now.

              I'm certainly going to give it a shot.
              I really think you should and when you do, I'll have one playing in my CD player when I get my moments of solitude and just want to listen to some music that moves me.

              Terra
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Maschke
    The "clear night air" reminds me of being a boy looking at a beautiful girl, and having having fun playing and running around with her, I guess in the same way Alfalfa liked Darla.
    Signature

    I

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162426].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by David Maschke View Post

      The "clear night air" reminds me of being a boy looking at a beautiful girl, and having having fun playing and running around with her, I guess in the same way Alfalfa liked Darla.
      Well, I guess "Little Rascals" is close enough to the Stooges.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Leatherman
    Steve,

    Good stuff. Great Days of Old is more my cup of tea.

    Ken
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162538].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Ken Leatherman View Post

      Steve,

      Good stuff. Great Days of Old is more my cup of tea.

      Ken
      Thanks Ken. I guess that's going to be my "hit"

      Do starving classical composers even have hits?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8162626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Steve,
    These recordings are good even thought classical is not my main area of listening. Like it or not you can't go through like without being subjected to good classical music. A job well done with these compositions.

    On the other hand,you are right.
    "I can't sing.
    I don't play very well.
    My lyrics are so-so
    My recording quality is poor."

    Where I disagree with you is that your pop music has a lot of potential
    and I honestly think recorded by others and promoted properly you could
    have some potential pop hits that you have written.

    Just a friend giving another friend his honest thoughts.
    Keep doing whatever you love.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163173].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Steve,
      These recordings are good even thought classical is not my main area of listening. Like it or not you can't go through like without being subjected to good classical music. A job well done with these compositions.

      On the other hand,you are right.
      "I can't sing.
      I don't play very well.
      My lyrics are so-so
      My recording quality is poor."

      Where I disagree with you is that your pop music has a lot of potential
      and I honestly think recorded by others and promoted properly you could
      have some potential pop hits that you have written.

      Just a friend giving another friend his honest thoughts.
      Keep doing whatever you love.
      Thank you Kim. Yes, I am sure that with other people recording my pop
      songs and somebody to help tighten up the lyrics and make them more
      commercial, I could have probably had a chance in that field.

      But that's the catch. Finding people to work with is not easy. A few have
      actually offered to "work" with me but then never came through for whatever
      reason. I don't hold grudges. I'm just stating a fact. I've had a lot of
      disappointments.

      This is something I can do on my own without any help from others, so that's
      what I'm going to do. These recordings are more than good enough to send to
      a classical publisher, plus, I can send them the sheet music if they want it.

      I grew up listening to the Beatles and will always love good popular music. But
      it's too difficult to go that route alone with my limited demo skills, so it's time
      to do something else while I still have the time to do it.

      Thank you again for the encouraging and kind words.

      You're one of the good guys here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrician
    Follow the yellow brick road, Steve!

    ... Roll Over FOR Beethoven!

    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IM Alex
    Well done on these pieces Steve!
    But... Why goodbye to Rock and Roll?? Rock and Roll, well.. rocks!

    Rock/heavy metal + Classical = Awesome Epicness!
    (Btw I know you said you've been working on pop, I just got hung up on the first line )

    Signature

    If you're in doubt, you're not in doubt.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163554].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by IM Alex View Post

      Well done on these pieces Steve!
      But... Why goodbye to Rock and Roll?? Rock and Roll, well.. rocks!

      Rock/heavy metal + Classical = Awesome Epicness!
      (Btw I know you said you've been working on pop, I just got hung up on the first line )

      CLASSICAL METAL - YouTube
      Because as I said...

      I can't sing
      I can't play
      My lyrics suck
      And my studio recordings are horrible

      With Finale, I can write good music, don't have to sing, don't have to write
      lyrics and no longer have to worry about how bad my demos sound.

      After 35 years it was time to call it quits.

      Now I'm doing something I know I'm good at.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8163567].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
        I listened to the Call of the Wild and liked it. You definitely have talent, so do market your work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8164146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    You're a marketing guy and must have marketed your songs a lot of ways, so I find it baffling that your work didn't get wider distribution in some form or other. Of course you should pursue your passion in classical compositions. Are you a Handel fan by any chance? I do want to humbly state that I like your pop songs. I find they have flavor and quality to them that I think is lost and missing in a lot of modern songs nowadays. I personally wonder why filmmakers aren't tripping over each other to grab your scores.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8174613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    I'm not even a huge classical music fan, but this is good stuff Steve- thanks for the share.

    Keep at it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LeeLee
    Thank goodness. I thought your post was going to be about leaving IM. Whew!

    You must follow your passion but just in case:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfu9RK6w44
    Signature
    The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. ~ Lin Yutang
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

      You're a marketing guy and must have marketed your songs a lot of ways, so I find it baffling that your work didn't get wider distribution in some form or other. Of course you should pursue your passion in classical compositions. Are you a Handel fan by any chance? I do want to humbly state that I like your pop songs. I find they have flavor and quality to them that I think is lost and missing in a lot of modern songs nowadays. I personally wonder why filmmakers aren't tripping over each other to grab your scores.
      Actually, it's been a long time since I've actively tried to get any of my music
      published and I've yet to even begin promoting my classical pieces as I've
      just only now started writing them. That's why filmmakers aren't tripping over
      each other trying to "sign me up". But I am going to start marketing as soon
      as I get my first CD finished.

      Am I a Handel fan? I'm not really a fan of any one composer though I do seem
      to relate mostly to Franz Schubert probably because he was my favorite of
      the romantic era composers. I think there are some similarities in our music
      but I'm not really sure. I haven't listened to him in years. In fact, I have to
      reset my car radio dial back to the one classical station in our area, especially
      since nobody around here plays any decent rock music anymore.

      Anyway, thanks for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.

      Originally Posted by Stowie View Post

      I'm not even a huge classical music fan, but this is good stuff Steve- thanks for the share.

      Thanks Stowie. I'm glad you liked it.

      Keep at it!
      Originally Posted by LeeLee View Post

      Thank goodness. I thought your post was going to be about leaving IM. Whew!

      You must follow your passion but just in case:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfu9RK6w44
      Ah, Seger. One of my favs. I have an early single of his "Need Ya" long before
      he ever made it big with "Night Moves".

      As for leaving IM, I think IM has left me. But that's another story for another
      day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179053].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LeeLee
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        As for leaving IM, I think IM has left me. But that's another story for another
        day.
        It may seem that way to you because you have been slogging in it a long time but believe me you are relevant and revealing to others not as far down the road.
        Signature
        The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. ~ Lin Yutang
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8180995].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
          Steven,

          Thanks for sharing your gift with us. These pieces are quite good. I really enjoyed them. I like the rhapsodies and if I had to choose one - it would have to be "Enter the Emperor"

          I can tell you are happy composing this music - and that's all that really matters.

          Signature
          ---------------
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183339].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
            Originally Posted by Karen Blundell View Post

            Steven,

            Thanks for sharing your gift with us. These pieces are quite good. I really enjoyed them. I like the rhapsodies and if I had to choose one - it would have to be "Enter the Emperor"

            I can tell you are happy composing this music - and that's all that really matters.

            Thanks Karen. That's one for the Emperor. I'll let him know next time I see him.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183757].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Steven - while it's not my kind of music, I like to think I can tell well-crafted music from poorly crafted music. For what it's worth, yours is well-crafted.

    You're being too hard on yourself about your lyrics though. I can think of a ton of songs with lyrics inferior to yours.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8184926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Well, Steve - it took ya awhile, but I think you've found your niche.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8184970].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Steven - while it's not my kind of music, I like to think I can tell well-crafted music from poorly crafted music. For what it's worth, yours is well-crafted.

      You're being too hard on yourself about your lyrics though. I can think of a ton of songs with lyrics inferior to yours.
      Thanks Dennis. I know you're a die "hard rock" and roller so coming from you
      that's quite a compliment and it means a lot to me. As for my lyrics, well, yeah,
      I've heard worse too but that's another subject.

      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      Well, Steve - it took ya awhile, but I think you've found your niche.
      Thanks Sal. Truth is, I should have found it a long time ago. I grew up in a
      classical home and my own father couldn't listen to my "pop" songs.

      I think now I have something that he can listen to.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8185069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MOCrendon
    I agree with MissTerraK and others regarding "The Great Days of Old". It is excellent!

    I have played this 5+ minute piece several times since accessing it a little while ago. In fact, it's playing as I write. It is relaxing and...there are little bits in it that bring a smile to my face (no, I'm not on drugs!).

    Thank you Steve.

    PS Your WAGSNWO newsletter is superb. Full of great content. I'm subscribed to it using my moats*** email address - just in case you wanted to check :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8200683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Hi Steve,
      I was just wondering if there was any word back on to the thoughts of your choir director.

      I've been checking back here frequently to see and well, to have another listen to your work.

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8200742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pickthat apple
    Hi Steve, I will start by saying that I prefer your articles to your music.

    The alltogether feeling that I had is that you like this tuba sound which is creeping up everywhere on some notes which often seem not to have a reason to be there and go in all directions.

    It is maybe a style which would appeal to countries like Iceland.
    Not my style I am afraid. My favourite pieces are: "The last Chord" and "Enter The emperor...", this last one towards the end.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8202437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by MOCrendon View Post

      I agree with MissTerraK and others regarding "The Great Days of Old". It is excellent!

      I have played this 5+ minute piece several times since accessing it a little while ago. In fact, it's playing as I write. It is relaxing and...there are little bits in it that bring a smile to my face (no, I'm not on drugs!).

      Thank you Steve.

      PS Your WAGSNWO newsletter is superb. Full of great content. I'm subscribed to it using my moats*** email address - just in case you wanted to check :-)
      Thank you for the kind words on everything. I really do appreciate them. Kind
      of makes me feel like I'm not exactly doing this for nothing. I'll have more to
      say in a later post but I wanted to personally address this first.

      Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

      Hi Steve,
      I was just wondering if there was any word back on to the thoughts of your choir director.

      I've been checking back here frequently to see and well, to have another listen to your work.

      Terra
      Terra, it took her 2 weeks but she finally told my wife she liked it (after some
      prodding by her). I think she was just being polite. And the truth is, the
      more I listen to it, at least from a purist standpoint, the composition is kind
      of all over the place. Of course rhapsodies usually are but maybe this one
      was a little more than normal. I'll have more on this in a later post.

      Originally Posted by pickthat apple View Post

      Hi Steve, I will start by saying that I prefer your articles to your music.

      The alltogether feeling that I had is that you like this tuba sound which is creeping up everywhere on some notes which often seem not to have a reason to be there and go in all directions.

      It is maybe a style which would appeal to countries like Iceland.
      Not my style I am afraid. My favourite pieces are: "The last Chord" and "Enter The emperor...", this last one towards the end.
      It's nice to hear some negative feedback. Less tuba. Got it.

      I don't know if you're a classical music fan or not but either way, this stuff
      is an acquired taste on so many levels. For one thing, it's not traditional
      classical. It's more Avant-Garde. So a lot of traditionalists who are into Bach,
      Mozart and guys like that probably won't like this. And those who aren't really
      into classical music probably won't like it anyway.

      As far as liking my articles better than my music, I wish Google felt the same
      way.

      Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8204237].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Okay, here is an update on things.

        I've finished the entire CD of 24 compositions. I can't believe I wrote all of that
        within the span of 15 days.

        I'm going to try to get the CD published as a collection. If I can't, hopefully
        somebody will like one piece from it and publish it as an individual work.

        My personal favorites are:

        The Great Days Of Old
        A Day At The Circus

        and The Final Frontier which is the last piece on the CD. It's kind of an homage
        to Star Trek in my own warped imagination. I doubt many people will hear it.
        In fact, the last 3 songs make up what I call The Star Trek Suite.

        A Place Where No One Goes
        Of Space And Time
        The Final Frontier

        The whole CD is just under 71 minutes. So far, nobody has heard it in its
        entirety though I am sending a copy to my father. I haven't decided whether
        or not I'm going to give a copy to my choir director. I think I put her on the
        spot with the last one and I'd rather not risk our working relationship.

        My wife and I are going to an Eastern Star cover dish dinner on Wednesday
        so I'm be taking the CD and playing it in the car on the way up and back.
        She's really not a classical music fan and I doubt she'll like it much if at all,
        but I think she's a sport for at least asking to hear it.

        Truth is, over the years, the people at this forum, especially those of you who
        I am closest to, have heard more of my music than anyone else on this planet.

        My friends, God I love 'em, have no interest in my musical creations and some
        even went as far as to tell me not to quit my day job. I have hundreds of
        songs that my wife and daughter have never heard. My own father once told
        me not to bother sending him anymore of my "music" because he just couldn't
        listen to it. He really hates hard rock.

        So for 35 years, I've essentially been writing for myself. In all that time I've
        had one song published by Siskatune Music that never got recorded. Other
        than that, the most satisfaction I've gotten from my music is the few kind
        words I've gotten here.

        I know you're not supposed to do things for recognition, but everybody wants
        to at least have some kind of acknowledgement that what they're doing isn't
        just a waste of space.

        Until I made this CD, I never really felt that anything I did mattered. As I've
        said, my singing sucks, my lyrics are so-so, I can just about play my instrument
        and my recordings, up to now, were pretty poor.

        As Sal said, I think I've finally found my niche. I just hope that I'm not too
        old to enjoy it. I'm not saying that I'm going to become a famous composer
        someday or anything like that (not that I would mind) but it would sure be
        nice to go to a classical concert and hear an orchestra play one of my pieces.
        I think that small little accomplishment would be enough to give me the
        personal "triumph" that I've been looking for all my life. Heaven knows, I've
        been a failure at just about everything else. I even managed to drive my
        business into the dust. For 9 years, I had that to be proud of. And now even
        that's gone. Oh, by the way, be thankful for whatever you have today
        because tomorrow it could all go up in smoke. I've learned that the hard way.

        I'd like to think I've made some friends here, Sal, Terra, Kim, Thom, Mike,
        John (God I hope I don't forget anybody) and I want you to know that you
        have all made me feel so good and so welcome here. OT is pretty much the
        only place I go anymore on this forum. It's the only place I feel like I belong.

        If I sound a little down, this month is 4 years since my mom's passing. And
        this whole time all I could think of is how I wish she could hear this stuff. I
        don't know if she'd like it or not (she was a real traditionalist) but it still
        would have been nice to see the look on her face when I gave her a CD that
        wasn't electric guitars blasting from the speakers. Poor woman. I don't know
        how she ever put up with it.

        Oh well, right now I'm just looking for stuff to say so maybe I should just sign
        off. When the CD becomes available for purchase I'll let you all know where
        you can pick up a copy. Having heard the samples you can at least get a
        pretty good idea of whether or not it's something you'd want to have for
        yourself. At least the recording quality will be good, you won't have to listen
        to my horrible voice or put up with my stupid lyrics and shoddy playing.

        What's not to love?

        Thank you all for being here for me.

        PS - Sal, I still like Freeze, regardless of what those stupid judges think.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8204308].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          My choir directory finally got back to me on "The Great Days Of Old". She liked it.
          Her husband did have one comment that the one brass part during the timpani
          solo could not be played by a real person as the note duration was too long.

          I checked the score and the trombones are held for 12 beats in one section. If
          there are any trombone players here perhaps you can verify that.

          But in general, they liked the piece and even play it in their car.

          I just gave her the entire 24 song 70 minute CD on Sunday. I told her I didn't
          expect her to listen to the whole thing as it's a lot of music. But she insisted
          that she was going to, so we'll see what she says.

          I'm working on Modern Classics II right now and have 6 compositions completed
          and working on number 7.

          The music just keeps on pouring out of me.

          PS - My wife said she liked the CD but doesn't have a favorite yet.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232367].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
            Whoo Hoo Steve!

            That is beyond awesome!!

            You go!

            I can't wait to hear the new ones. Oh, I mean if you want to share.

            Terra
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232415].message }}

Trending Topics