You may have wondered when it would happen....

23 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I know I did! When oh when oh WHEN will it happen?

WE HAVE OUR ANSWER!

Edward Snowden nominated for Nobel Peace Prize - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

He is, according to all patterns specified to this point, the PERFECT candidate! He may just win. Could a better match EVER be found?

Steve
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Says he can't win this year at least because all nominations had to be postmarked by February.Too bad.
    "Because of Svallfors’s professorship at Umeå, he is one of the people who can submit a nomination to the Nobel organization. However, nominations for 2013 were required to be postmarked by Feb. 1."
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8284074].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Says he can't win this year at least because all nominations had to be postmarked by February.Too bad.
      "Because of Svallfors's professorship at Umeå, he is one of the people who can submit a nomination to the Nobel organization. However, nominations for 2013 were required to be postmarked by Feb. 1."
      There are still at least ******THREE******* ways he can STILL win! And they have ALL happened before!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8284133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KimW
    Ok, well one is by winning next year instead of this year,don't keep us in suspense about the other two ways.
    Signature

    Read A Post.
    Subscribe to a Newsletter
    KimWinfrey.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8284161].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by KimW View Post

      Ok, well one is by winning next year instead of this year,don't keep us in suspense about the other two ways.
      OK, there are FOUR ways!

      If you MUST know......

      1. A previous winner can nominate him. OFFICIAL, and the deadline is wuite a bit latter.
      2. A person on the board(or whatever they call it) can nominate him.
      3. They can simply decide to allow it. OK, TECHNICALLY, it is #2, but STILL....

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8284389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Peace, lol.

    That's an oxymoron If there ever was one.

    I think Nobel Instigator Prize is more appropriate, he's caused more peace damage than good between multiple countries.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8285668].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      I looked at the title and thought... "Steve's taken a logic course?!"
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8286784].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        I looked at the title and thought... "Steve's taken a logic course?!"
        Very funny.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8287705].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

          Very funny.
          C'mon Steve.

          If you have even an ounce of a sense of humor, you've got to see there is a whole lot of funny in that.

          It doesn't mean we don't like you or are picking on you though. It just means we know you.

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8287886].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author seasoned
            Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

            C'mon Steve.

            If you have even an ounce of a sense of humor, you've got to see there is a whole lot of funny in that.

            It doesn't mean we don't like you or are picking on you though. It just means we know you.

            Terra
            There are a lot of ways to read that. I was trying to use humor to lead in here and show a very real possibility. They say a one eyed man in a world of blind is king, or something like that. SO, among this world with such a DEARTH of logic..... yeah, I know. It is a sad thing. HEY, I have called attention to that on many fronts and many times.

            Steve
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8287912].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              I doubt he will ever get it. He's not worthy of it. Letting people know what they should have known to begin with is not Nobel prize material.

              The American people need to be less gullible and accept the new realities. As long as we are appalled it forces these agencies activities to be clandestine where they should be right out in the open where they can be better regulated.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8291600].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ThomM
                Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                I doubt he will ever get it. He's not worthy of it. Letting people know what they should have known to begin with is not Nobel prize material.

                The American people need to be less gullible and accept the new realities. As long as we are appalled it forces these agencies activities to be clandestine where they should be right out in the open where they can be better regulated.
                Right but the guy killing children with drone attacks was worthy of it?
                Signature

                Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
                Getting old ain't for sissy's
                As you are I was, as I am you will be
                You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8291700].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                  Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

                  Right but the guy killing children with drone attacks was worthy of it?
                  Am I required to make a comment about all previous recipients in order to comment on this potential one? If you must know (without agreeing or disagreeing with you on drone attacks - depends on the incidents). I think a number of recipients were undeserving. That doesn't mean Snowden moves up a notch.
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8291787].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author ThomM
                    Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                    Am I required to make a comment about all previous recipients in order to comment on this potential one? If you must know (without agreeing or disagreeing with you on drone attacks - depends on the incidents). I think a number of recipients were undeserving. That doesn't mean Snowden moves up a notch.
                    It shows how little value the noble peace prize has.
                    Killing innocent children does not depend on the incidents. When you're ready to sacrifice your children just because of where they live, then we'll talk about it depending on the incident.
                    Signature

                    Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
                    Getting old ain't for sissy's
                    As you are I was, as I am you will be
                    You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292040].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                      Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

                      It shows how little value the noble peace prize has.
                      Killing innocent children does not depend on the incidents. When you're ready to sacrifice your children just because of where they live, then we'll talk about it depending on the incident.
                      IF I attempt to use them as human shields then we can talk. Blanket statements don't make for great points which again is why it depends on the incident - but agreed on the prize having little value. Truth is, for the people who deserve it, the accomplishment that is being rewarded should always dwarf the prize by many orders of magnitude.

                      I don't see how a whistleblower of what everyone should have known long ago has a shot at winning it but hey I can be surprised
                      Signature

                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292365].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
                        The article starts out...

                        "A Swedish sociology professor has nominated Edward Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize, saying that awarding the former NSA employee would correct Nobel Committee's mistake in giving the award to President Barack Obama in 2009."

                        This tells us quite a lot already. Snowden was nominated by one person, not a large committee.

                        And the one nominating him is in Sweden. Which means (maybe) that other countries get their news from a different source and have a different perspective. Or maybe just this one guy.

                        I haven't followed the story enough to have an informed opinion.
                        Signature
                        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

                        "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".....Ian Maclaren
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292397].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
                          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

                          The article starts out...

                          "A Swedish sociology professor has nominated Edward Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize, saying that awarding the former NSA employee would correct Nobel Committee's mistake in giving the award to President Barack Obama in 2009."

                          This tells us quite a lot already. Snowden was nominated by one person, not a large committee.

                          And the one nominating him is in Sweden. Which means (maybe) that other countries get their news from a different source and have a different perspective. Or maybe just this one guy.

                          I haven't followed the story enough to have an informed opinion.
                          It's next door to norway, and many have a mindset regarding this that is IDENTICAL! So hs one note carries a LOT of weight! NOT really because it is his opinion, but from the same area and likely the opinion of so many there. STILL, he has been nominated!

                          Steve
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292619].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author ThomM
                        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                        IF I attempt to use them as human shields then we can talk. Blanket statements don't make for great points which again is why it depends on the incident - but agreed on the prize having little value. Truth is, for the people who deserve it, the accomplishment that is being rewarded should always dwarf the prize by many orders of magnitude.

                        I don't see how a whistleblower of what everyone should have known long ago has a shot at winning it but hey I can be surprised
                        I'd buy your "human Shield" argument if it wasn't bull.
                        But then I know that's the official line used to justify murder.

                        I agree with the rest, I think for those that truly would deserve that prize, their reason for being nominated, if it truly was an act of peace, would have more value to them.
                        Signature

                        Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
                        Getting old ain't for sissy's
                        As you are I was, as I am you will be
                        You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292452].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                          Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

                          I'd buy your "human Shield" argument if it wasn't bull.
                          But then I know that's the official line used to justify murder.
                          Unfortunately neither of us knows what is "bull" and what isn't since we are both not sitting in any of those locations but playing long chair quarterback with nary a security clearance. However since you took issue and called upon me being in the same situation - Yes if I knew I was involved in the things many of these people are I would keep my children far faaaaar away from me. I've also lived long enough and seen enough not to think terrorists never surround themselves with innocents for very calculated reasons. I have no doubt that some drone attacks are unjustified but all that ended up killing any children in some blanket statement? No - again - depends on the incident.

                          All of which doesn't make a point for Snowden anyway.

                          Originally Posted by ThomM View Post

                          I agree with the rest, I think for those that truly would deserve that prize, their reason for being nominated, if it truly was an act of peace, would have more value to them.
                          Yep. Truthfully I don't know what in the world Obama got one for. If he had negotiated some peace settlement or something fine but I don't even remember what the excuse was for him winning one. I guess for being a political rock star internationally which he isn't anymore.
                          Signature

                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292467].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author ThomM
                            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                            Unfortunately neither of us knows what is "bull" and what isn't since we are both not sitting in any of those locations but playing long chair quarterback with nary a security clearance. However since you took issue and called upon me being in the same situation - Yes if I knew I was involved in the things many of these people are I would keep my children far faaaaar away from me. I've also lived long enough and seen enough not to think terrorists never surround themselves with innocents for very calculated reasons. I have no doubt that some drone attacks are unjustified but all that ended up killing any children in some blanket statement? No - again - depends on the incident.
                            Well you could listen to the words of those that are there and have been there.
                            This man talks about some strikes in Yemen. One thing he says explains what the strikes really accomplish other then murder. Another gentlemen explains the criteria used for the strikes.

                            I doubt you will believe any of it, but it's worth a shot.
                            Signature

                            Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
                            Getting old ain't for sissy's
                            As you are I was, as I am you will be
                            You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292509].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                              Originally Posted by ThomM View Post


                              I doubt you will believe any of it, but it's worth a shot.
                              Sigh :rolleyes: Try reading again

                              I have no doubt that some drone attacks are unjustified but all that ended up killing any children in some blanket statement? No - again - depends on the incident.
                              Considering the bolded part why would I have problems believing him? No you are pretending I am intransigent simple on the basis that I do not agree with you that all incidents are unjustified. Furthermore I think Drone attacks are in many cases lazy and an overflow of politics in how we report deaths.

                              I've lived a good part of my life outsides of the US and I can tell you a very small thing we take for granted THAT TICKS PEOPLE OFF. Our news organizations have a tendency of breaking down lives lost as opposed to American lives lost and switching to the next story when there are no american casualites. Its overflowed into our politics and it makes drone attacks politically more palatable because no american lives are reported as casualties

                              Does that corrupt some drone attacks? You bet. Surgical strikes may have american casualties. Drones won't. So rather than this blind stubborn uninformed picture you are painting in your mind of me realize I disagree merely with your characterization of all drone attacks where civilians might die - not that its all peaches with drone attacks.
                              Signature

                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292773].message }}
                              • Profile picture of the author ThomM
                                Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                                Sigh :rolleyes: Try reading again



                                Considering the bolded part why would I have problems believing him? No you are pretending I am intransigent simple on the basis that I do not agree with you that all incidents are unjustified. Furthermore I think Drone attacks are in many cases lazy and an overflow of politics in how we report deaths.

                                I've lived a good part of my life outsides of the US and I can tell you a very small thing we take for granted THAT TICKS PEOPLE OFF. Our news organizations have a tendency of breaking down lives lost as opposed to American lives lost and switching to the next story when there are no american casualites. Its overflowed into our politics and it makes drone attacks politically more palatable because no american lives are reported as casualties

                                Does that corrupt some drone attacks? You bet. Surgical strikes may have american casualties. Drones won't. So rather than this blind stubborn uninformed picture you are painting in your mind of me realize I disagree merely with your characterization of all drone attacks where civilians might die - not that its all peaches with drone attacks.
                                No I actually misread that the first time, because I was reading to fast
                                Oh as for no lost American lives, we have already taken out two Americans in Yemen with a drone attack. One was alleged to be a terrorist, one was his son, guilty of being born I guess.
                                Signature

                                Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh
                                Getting old ain't for sissy's
                                As you are I was, as I am you will be
                                You can't fix stupid, but you can always out smart it.

                                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292865].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    LOL - it really was, actually.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8287761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LarryC
    If G.W. Bush can be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and Obama can actually win it, then why not Snowden? The whole process is nothing but an empty gesture at this point, if it ever had meaning.
    Signature
    Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8292222].message }}

Trending Topics