Capuchin Monkey Use The Vending Machine Unbelievable

by John666 17 replies
Capuchin Monkey Use The Vending Machine Unbelievable

#off topic forum
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Mikaedi88
    That's sooo cute, always like monkeys..

    Unfortunatly our silly laws forbid us from having monkeys and the like as pets
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8537407].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Mikaedi88 View Post

      That's sooo cute, always like monkeys..

      Unfortunatly our silly laws forbid us from having monkeys and the like as pets
      GEE! I HATE bending over, and sometimes I can't reach all the way into the change area. easily. HEY, ever try those stupid laundry detergent dispensors? The "designer" should be sued to pay for all the injuries people have probably gotten! I would LOVE to have a monkey for things like that. Alas, in the US, I think that is generally illegal ALSO.

      Then again, with my travels, I can'y even get a hamster.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8537430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    It's not that unusual. I've seen science specials on the Science Channel, where they solve problems and work together to complete tasks one couldn't do by itself. In a couple of cases, they solved puzzles I couldn't figure out myself. That didn't help my ego at all.

    They are self aware, meaning they recognize their own reflection, and are as intelligent (if I remember correctly) as a human 3 or 4 year old.

    They are 98 or 99% genetically the same as humans (I believe Bonobo monkeys are the closest genetically to us).

    So it's interesting that they look like hairy little people with tails, that can't talk.

    But they have all the same emotions we do, form the same attachments.

    It's actually difficult for me to think of them as animals. They are like simpler humans.

    That's just an opinion. I only know what I see in National Geographic specials, and Science Channel specials...But all the tests are documented, and it's easy to find videos of the cognitive ability tests.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8537420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

      It's not that unusual. I've seen science specials on the Science Channel, where they solve problems and work together to complete tasks one couldn't do by itself. In a couple of cases, they solved puzzles I couldn't figure out myself. That didn't help my ego at all.

      They are self aware, meaning they recognize their own reflection, and are as intelligent (if I remember correctly) as a human 3 or 4 year old.

      They are 98 or 99% genetically the same as humans (I believe Bonobo monkeys are the closest genetically to us).

      So it's interesting that they look like hairy little people with tails, that can't talk.

      But they have all the same emotions we do, form the same attachments.

      It's actually difficult for me to think of them as animals. They are like simpler humans.

      That's just an opinion. I only know what I see in National Geographic specials, and Science Channel specials...But all the tests are documented, and it's easy to find videos of the cognitive ability tests.
      I don't think monkeys are self aware, are you sure? I know apes are self aware, and bonobos are apes and not monkeys.

      Also, I saw a documentary where they showed that monkeys will lie. Some will let out a fake alarm cry to scare away all the other monkeys, then the "liar" will gather up as much food as he/she can.

      BTW, I've posted a video in the past that showed that chimps have a much better short term memory than humans.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8538522].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        I don't think monkeys are self aware, are you sure? I know apes are self aware, and bonobos are apes and not monkeys.

        Also, I saw a documentary where they showed that monkeys will lie. Some will let out a fake alarm cry to scare away all the other monkeys, then the "liar" will gather up as much food as he/she can.

        BTW, I've posted a video in the past that showed that chimps have a much better short term memory than humans.
        Darn you Kurt! To be honest, I remember the special (probably the one you watched too), but I forgot that bonobos were apes, and not monkeys.

        I just looked up a list of self aware animals.;
        Orangutans
        Chimpanzees
        Gorillas
        Bottlenose Dolphins
        Elephants
        Orcas
        Bonobos
        Rhesus Macaques
        European Magpies

        I honestly thought Octopi were self aware too. But their brains are sooo very different from ours, it may be hard to define...or maybe I just remember incorrectly. I seem to remember a breed or two of dog is considered self aware too. But again, I could be wrong.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8539082].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kurt
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          Darn you Kurt! To be honest, I remember the special (probably the one you watched too), but I forgot that bonobos were apes, and not monkeys.

          I just looked up a list of self aware animals.;
          Orangutans
          Chimpanzees
          Gorillas
          Bottlenose Dolphins
          Elephants
          Orcas
          Bonobos
          Rhesus Macaques
          European Magpies

          I honestly thought Octopi were self aware too. But their brains are sooo very different from ours, it may be hard to define...or maybe I just remember incorrectly. I seem to remember a breed or two of dog is considered self aware too. But again, I could be wrong.
          I'm not postive, but I think a species of parrot or two (African gray?) and maybe some crows are self aware too.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8539261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialentry
    Don't think they are cute.

    In Asia gangsters train them to steal wallets.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8537454].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

      Don't think they are cute.

      In Asia gangsters train them to steal wallets.
      Well, the monkeys don't really know any better. I STILL think it is cute!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8538424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John666
      Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

      Don't think they are cute.

      In Asia gangsters train them to steal wallets.
      it's the teacher's fault, not the student's
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8556253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lcombs
    That's too cool!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8538778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I think most animals are much more intelligent than people want to realize. It has benefited humans to think of them as stupid, so most continue to think so. If an animal can lie to get what it wants, to me, that shows more self awareness than a mirror. It takes higher conceptual constructs to think about self wanting, then attaching tricks to get it - but lying always includes a concept of self.

    It is not as simple, in my view to understand the mindset and knowledge base of animals that gain intelligence from their sense of smell as from one who learns primarily via eyes and ears. Just too much of a difference in orientation.

    Anyhow the little guy in the OP is just darned cute at any rate and helped me get my daily quota of adorable - however, after seeing the video of the monkeys rigging a voting machine a few years back, not all that impressive or startling.
    Signature

    Sal
    New PLR - Disaster prep duo report pkg: The Art of the Graceful Bug out, and Preparing Pets for a Disaster. - PM me for report details.
    Quality PLR Ebooks and Reports:
    Mind/Language - Weight, - Pet/Dog - Disaster - 2011 Earthquake Report - Hair Care

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8539292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Originally Posted by John666 View Post

    Capuchin Monkey Use The Vending Machine Unbelievable

    Capuchin Monkey Use The Vending Machine unbelievable - YouTube
    I can do the same thing without wearing a diaper.
    Signature
    Be your best self. - Darryl Philbin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8539494].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I did have a monkey as a pet when I was young. We never kept it in our apartment but paid for the janitor of our building to look after it. However, it was never friendly and I never got to pat it.

    This was completely different with my daughter in Koh Samui when she was 4 years old. The monkey was so friendly and human like that it was unbelievable. We visited the same place last year and were told that the monkey was dead. That threatened to ruin our holiday but luckily, it only took about 30 minutes for my daughter to recover from her grief.

    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8541632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlvdJeremy
    Oh now that's cute ! LOL
    Signature

    Jeremy H
    Account Manager
    Blvd-Media Group

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8556365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John666
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8613889].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics