Oh oh, this is not good for our UK members, Terra please don't open this thread.

by joseph7384 18 replies
Seems that a distant cousin of the Black widow "the False widow" is reaking havoc in the UK.

Decorator nearly loses leg after bite from UK's most poisonous spider | Mail Online
#off topic forum
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    I'd be getting me some spider traps ... lots and lots of spider traps.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8601967].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      I'd be getting me some spider traps ... lots and lots of spider traps.
      You're more man than I. I would leave England.
      Signature

      "Arguing with...strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be, or to be indistinguishable from, self-righteous 16-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8602275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Holy crap. That's one powerful bite.
    Signature

    Sal
    New PLR - Disaster prep duo report pkg: The Art of the Graceful Bug out, and Preparing Pets for a Disaster. - PM me for report details.
    Quality PLR Ebooks and Reports:
    Mind/Language - Weight, - Pet/Dog - Disaster - 2011 Earthquake Report - Hair Care

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8601970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Farmer
    The lad half way down, Steve Harris - he's a buddy locally and what they didn't mention is they found at least 10 more of these false widows in his house, behind radiators.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8602364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
      Originally Posted by Brad Farmer View Post

      what they didn't mention is they found at least 10 more of these false widows in his house, behind radiators.

      In that case, I would borrow a match from Dan Riffle's signature and set the little buggers on fire.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8603173].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        OMG! OMG!

        I should have listened to you, Joseph!

        But I have this little streak of rebel running through me and when someone tells me not to do something...I really wanna do it. And you were even polite about it...

        Seriously, when I saw the spider and the effects of those bites, my tummy did a flip-flop, a shot of adrenaline shot through me making my palms get sweaty, my heart rate sped up and my mouth and throat got dry. :rolleyes:

        Man oh man! Yikes! Mommyyyyyy! lol!

        OK, that is horribly frightening!

        Note to self: Self, listen to Joseph next time!!

        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8603715].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LynnM
          I never even knew we had poisonous spiders here Just hope they haven't got this far north...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8604111].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author peter_act
            I'm from Crocodile Dundee country.

            That's not a spider - THIS is a spider!



            Sydney funnel-web
            (Atrax robustus)

            With highly toxic venom produced in large amounts and large fangs to inject it, the Sydney funnel-web is without a doubt the deadliest spider in Australia, and possibly the world.

            Found in New South Wales, in forests as well as populated urban areas, they burrow in humid sheltered places. They can wander in backyards and sometimes fall into swimming pools, and though they're not often encountered, they can be quite aggressive when threatened.

            Though just 1.5-3.5cm big, the Sydney Funnel-web has fangs larger than a brown snake's and so powerful they can even pierce through nails and toenails. Their venom has a compound that can attack the human nervous system and alter the functioning of all organs and, when coming from a male, can kill.
            Signature

            Cheap websites for small businesses: Affordable mobile websites
            Get a free autoresponder here: Money Making Opportunities

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8604389].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
              Originally Posted by peter_act View Post

              I'm from Crocodile Dundee country.

              That's not a spider - THIS is a spider!



              Sydney funnel-web
              (Atrax robustus)

              With highly toxic venom produced in large amounts and large fangs to inject it, the Sydney funnel-web is without a doubt the deadliest spider in Australia, and possibly the world.

              Found in New South Wales, in forests as well as populated urban areas, they burrow in humid sheltered places. They can wander in backyards and sometimes fall into swimming pools, and though they're not often encountered, they can be quite aggressive when threatened.

              Though just 1.5-3.5cm big, the Sydney Funnel-web has fangs larger than a brown snake's and so powerful they can even pierce through nails and toenails. Their venom has a compound that can attack the human nervous system and alter the functioning of all organs and, when coming from a male, can kill.
              Crapola!

              That looks like a cross between a crab and a spider. Are you sure it's not part scorpion too?

              <scratches off visiting Australia from bucket list>

              Terra
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8605640].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
                Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

                Crapola!

                That looks like a cross between a crab and a spider. Are you sure it's not part scorpion too?

                <scratches off visiting Australia from bucket list>

                Terra
                Kinda almost looks like a Tarantula!
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8607691].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author peter_act
                Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

                <scratches off visiting Australia from bucket list>
                Terra
                Yep,

                If you swim in the sea, the sharks'll get ya
                If you swim in the rivers, the crocs'll get ya
                If you walk in the bush, the snakes'll get ya
                If you sit on the toilet seat, the spiders'll get ya

                And don't think you can just go to bed, put your head under the pillow and hope they all go away - this happened in the the next suburb to me..................

                "When she went to bed Jan. 4, Australian mom Tess Guthrie curled up next to her 2-year-old daughter Zara as usual – not expecting to wake up a heroine in the morning.But when she looked on the bed at where she put her daughter to sleep, she saw an odd form writhing around. Grabbing her mobile phone to shine some light on the bed, she saw the uninimaginable: curled around the arm of her daughter was a six-foot-long python."

                Perhaps it was one of these - saw this by the side of my driveway when I went down to collect the mail:

                Signature

                Cheap websites for small businesses: Affordable mobile websites
                Get a free autoresponder here: Money Making Opportunities

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8608045].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
                  Originally Posted by peter_act View Post

                  Yep,

                  If you swim in the sea, the sharks'll get ya
                  If you swim in the rivers, the crocs'll get ya
                  If you walk in the bush, the snakes'll get ya
                  If you sit on the toilet seat, the spiders'll get ya

                  And don't think you can just go to bed, put your head under the pillow and hope they all go away - this happened in the the next suburb to me..................

                  "When she went to bed Jan. 4, Australian mom Tess Guthrie curled up next to her 2-year-old daughter Zara as usual – not expecting to wake up a heroine in the morning.But when she looked on the bed at where she put her daughter to sleep, she saw an odd form writhing around. Grabbing her mobile phone to shine some light on the bed, she saw the uninimaginable: curled around the arm of her daughter was a six-foot-long python."

                  Perhaps it was one of these - saw this by the side of my driveway when I went down to collect the mail:

                  Yikes!

                  Hey, I have an idea!

                  You look like quite the rugged knowledgeable man. So, if I don't cross off visiting Australia from my bucket list, you could be my "Crocodile Dundee" and take me on a walkabout.

                  Terra
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8608742].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
                    Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

                    Yikes!

                    Hey, I have an idea!

                    You look like quite the rugged knowledgeable man. So, if I don't cross off visiting Australia from my bucket list, you could be my "Crocodile Dundee" and take me on a walkabout.

                    Terra

                    Now now Terra, what would your husband think? Scratch that, What would Dennis think?
                    Signature

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8610744].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
                      Originally Posted by joseph7384 View Post

                      Now now Terra, what would your husband think? Scratch that, What would Dennis think?
                      Now, Now, Joseph, I didn't mean the romance part. I meant the guy who knows the terrain and critters as a guide part. A guide for me and hubby. I never travel without him.

                      Well, unless HeySal and I go rock hounding. Then he's staying home.

                      As for Dennis, I'll let him speak for himself.

                      Terra
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8610773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Well that's one reason I don't venture to Australia. 11 poisonous snakes worldwide and they are ALL found in AU - and several types of venomous spiders.

    What I would want to do in AU is rock hunt. Somehow it seems a bit riskier than is good for me. I already can't believe I've never been bitten by a Rattler - don't need to risk my lapses of attention on stuff like these things.
    Signature

    Sal
    New PLR - Disaster prep duo report pkg: The Art of the Graceful Bug out, and Preparing Pets for a Disaster. - PM me for report details.
    Quality PLR Ebooks and Reports:
    Mind/Language - Weight, - Pet/Dog - Disaster - 2011 Earthquake Report - Hair Care

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8604439].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      Well that's one reason I don't venture to Australia. 11 poisonous snakes worldwide and they are ALL found in AU - and several types of venomous spiders.

      What I would want to do in AU is rock hunt. Somehow it seems a bit riskier than is good for me. I already can't believe I've never been bitten by a Rattler - don't need to risk my lapses of attention on stuff like these things.
      Keep your tall boots on and don't forget to shake 'em for scorpions in the morning.
      Signature

      "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8604652].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
        Ok, I'm with the Aussies on this one.

        I've lived here for nearly 40 years. Put it this way, we have 10 million of those false widows and they've been here for 140 years and up until last week, I and just about everyone else here, didn't even realize we had any poisonous spiders.

        I've also family in Australia and visit often. The last time I was there I watched my sisters cat chase a spider around and around the garden. There's nothing special about that apart from the fact the cat was unable to catch it. That is too fast for my liking.

        Having said that, I'm not sure having spiders in this country that cause rotting is helping me sleep.
        Signature

        Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8605620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    Originally Posted by joseph7384 View Post

    Seems that a distant cousin of the Black widow "the False widow" is reaking havoc in the UK.

    Decorator nearly loses leg after bite from UK's most poisonous spider | Mail Online
    You'd see a Great Fire of London part II if I found that thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8607750].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics