What's One Reason That You Believe People Fail In Online Business?

28 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to create this post for two reasons. (1) My youngest nephew wants to start his own blog/business at age 13 and was curious as to why people fail and (2) there's alot of people that come on to WF everyday that's looking for this type of information.

Maybe by creating this post, it may be able to help people to truly understand the various reasons and answers to their question. Hopefully they'll be able to refer to this or maybe even get some sound advice and use it as motivation to not make the same mistake.

So the question is, why do people fail?

I'll get it started I guess. I've seen, read stories even witnessed many people succeed in business. All types. But, sadly, I've also seen thousands of people achieve little or no success at all.

Though I don't know ALL of the answers as to why people fail, I do know that ONE of the reasons they fail is ...

FOCUS.

Or lack of focus. Meaning they never stay with one plan for very long.

Basically they're dabbling in opportunity after opportunity, hoping to luck their way into one that will make them a fortune.

Anyone else care to share their opinions?

--Andrew
#business #fail #failure in business #online #people #reason #why people fail in im
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
    I think we have to be very careful defining failure and success. For some, just learning new things is a success. For others making their first dollar is a success. Some are only after a few extra hundred a month to help pay some bills - they also consider themselves a success. Others are very happy making just a wage and others want more. To each their own definition.

    There's success all around. The "reasons" people might offer as to why they haven't succeeded yet is often tangled up in their expectations or they are confused (or unaware) of what success means. It's very rare that I ever hear "I'm not a millionaire therefore I'm not a success".

    In my opinion even people who come here to read threads are a success because they have taken some steps to improve their lives. I don't think forced focus will help anyone "succeed". Focus is a by product of interest and enthusiasm. If I lose focus it's because the material is boring me, is badly written, is not for me or it might be taking too long. Eventually any smart person will quit that path and take up a new one.

    Only someone who lacks focus (and takes their eyes of the main prize - eventual freedom) will continue doing something that's not working or is likely not to work and produce the fruit we need. Eventually focus will (and should) be attracted elsewhere and there's nothing wrong with that (like changing directions when you realise you're lost). It might have added time until you reach your goals but at least you're not wasting time flogging a dead horse. Sometimes when people walk away from that dead horse others point and snicker and say "look at that loser - they lost focus". Did they? Or did they have pin point focus and that's why they decided to move on.

    The reason some people "fail" is usually down to their (or our) definition of "success" - not because they failed to...do any of the things we're about to read below.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955558].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shadeofinfo
      Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post

      I think we have to be very careful defining failure and success. For some, just learning new things is a success. For others making their first dollar is a success. Some are only after a few extra hundred a month to help pay some bills - they also consider themselves a success. Others are very happy making just a wage and others want more. To each their own definition.

      There's success all around. The "reasons" people might offer as to why they haven't succeeded yet is often tangled up in their expectations or they are confused (or unaware) of what success means. It's very rare that I ever hear "I'm not a millionaire therefore I'm not a success".

      In my opinion even people who come here to read threads are a success because they have taken some steps to improve their lives. I don't think forced focus will help anyone "succeed". Focus is a by product of interest and enthusiasm. If I lose focus it's because the material is boring me, is badly written, is not for me or it might be taking too long. Eventually any smart person will quit that path and take up a new one.

      Only someone who lacks focus (and takes their eyes of the main prize - eventual freedom) will continue doing something that's not working or is likely not to work and produce the fruit we need. Eventually focus will (and should) be attracted elsewhere and there's nothing wrong with that (like changing directions when you realise you're lost). It might have added time until you reach your goals but at least you're not wasting time flogging a dead horse. Sometimes when people walk away from that dead horse others point and snicker and say "look at that loser - they lost focus". Did they? Or did they have pin point focus and that's why they decided to move on.

      The reason some people "fail" is usually down to their (or our) definition of "success" - not because they failed to...do any of the things we're about to read below.
      But when I said focus, I mean that they're interested in IM today and then they want to get into stocks next week because they feel it's easier then they want to turn their attention to real estate. Their undecided on what path they want to take because they don't give it the necessary time needed to even see if it would work out or not. They're just jumping from one thing to another.

      I agree with you 100% on the success part. Each person's definition of success is different and I have no problems with that. I just think that there's just too many people that don't give things their necessary time to see if it works or not.
      Signature
      Actionable blueprints and strategies for growing your site. www.contentranked.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RussellW
    Originally Posted by shadeofinfo View Post

    Hi everyone,

    Just wanted to create this post for two reasons. (1) My youngest nephew wants to start his own blog/business at age 13 and was curious as to why people fail and (2) there's alot of people that come on to WF everyday that's looking for this type of information.

    Maybe by creating this post, it may be able to help people to truly understand the various reasons and answers to their question. Hopefully they'll be able to refer to this or maybe even get some sound advice and use it as motivation to not make the same mistake.

    So the question is, why do people fail?

    I'll get it started I guess. I've seen, read stories even witnessed many people succeed in business. All types. But, sadly, I've also seen thousands of people achieve little or no success at all.

    Though I don't know ALL of the answers as to why people fail, I do know that ONE of the reasons they fail is ...

    FOCUS.

    Or lack of focus. Meaning they never stay with one plan for very long.

    Basically they're dabbling in opportunity after opportunity, hoping to luck their way into one that will make them a fortune.

    Anyone else care to share their opinions?

    --Andrew
    Yes focus is one reason - Which as much about your time management and tapping your passions - as it is about success.

    Another reason is lack of the
    Key Insider Secrets
    to that industry.

    Along with cashflow (which is related to that anyway) lacking those Key Insider Secrets is a recipe for a lot of work and a lot of knockbacks.

    Good on your nephew though for starting their journey in info marketing etc.
    Signature

    Discover How to get richer quicker through Information Products, Microbizzery, Entrepreneurialism, Direct Response Marketing and Personal Investing - www.thethriftymillionaire.co.uk

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955561].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      With someone just starting.. I always ask "How do you want to make money?" Sometimes there is a real defined answer. "Online" is NOT an answer. But to say I want to sell Product "A" is an answer.

      If you break the system down backwards sometimes, it makes it clearer as to where you are going and what you need to do.

      Your nephew wants to start a blog and make money.

      Start with the above question: How do you want to make money? Get a defined answer

      Nowlooking at the process backwords...

      Where can that item be found to sell?

      How will you sell it?
      Links from Blog post. Side Banners Email marketing?

      Get traffic

      At this level a whole list of needs is exposed.
      You have to get a auto responder
      You have to think about writing to these people
      you have to think of graphics for your site
      You have to consider writing blog posts on topic.

      So below this we get basic. You now need a theme if you are using wordpress that will meet all of the needs listed above. Most do, some look better at doing it!

      you needs hosting

      You need a domain name

      You need an idea

      For me personally and to those I share this with, they understand one choice is dependent on the last. So to go through the initial process backwards at times becomes an advantage.


      I would say that the one failure point is missing a step. The biggest being getting traffic!
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955646].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author art72
        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        So to go through the initial process backwards at times becomes an advantage.
        Yeah, that right there.

        Much of what we do online requires the insight to know the end goal before the consumer does. Therefore, when you upload your follow up messages in your auto responder, or even start your sales funnel... it really does begin with knowing the final objective beforehand.

        Now, when I say final, it is not to imply if someone does land on your page, follow your compelling 'sign-up' offer, get on your list by virtue of a specific niche buyers market, and your 3rd email makes a sale.... sure, then you know you're doing something right.

        But... to have stacked the deck or a clear path already laid out, whereby you know the visitors moves before they do... this is a tough nut to crack, and thus I think many make the mistake of ' not knowing their objectives' before starting a project or website.

        Some people have a natural gift, like some very successful bloggers, they didn't care about money... they just lent a voice to an already awaiting audience, and then realized; they had built a massive following, whereby, they monetize and make a mint.

        If you asked me "How" I have failed prior online, it was definitely a lack of understanding all the components of online marketing, and positioning them accordingly... simply because I didn't know my objectives beforehand.

        I'd bet many here bought several domain names 'thinking' they'd all be home runs, until they got their renewal notice, and realized... damn I should've done something with that by now.
        Signature
        Coming Soon... *Laser Targeted Lead Generation Services
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955693].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shadeofinfo
        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        With someone just starting.. I always ask "How do you want to make money?" Sometimes there is a real defined answer. "Online" is NOT an answer. But to say I want to sell Product "A" is an answer.

        If you break the system down backwards sometimes, it makes it clearer as to where you are going and what you need to do.

        Your nephew wants to start a blog and make money.

        Start with the above question: How do you want to make money? Get a defined answer

        Nowlooking at the process backwords...

        Where can that item be found to sell?

        How will you sell it?
        Links from Blog post. Side Banners Email marketing?

        Get traffic

        At this level a whole list of needs is exposed.
        You have to get a auto responder
        You have to think about writing to these people
        you have to think of graphics for your site
        You have to consider writing blog posts on topic.

        So below this we get basic. You now need a theme if you are using wordpress that will meet all of the needs listed above. Most do, some look better at doing it!

        you needs hosting

        You need a domain name

        You need an idea

        For me personally and to those I share this with, they understand one choice is dependent on the last. So to go through the initial process backwards at times becomes an advantage.


        I would say that the one failure point is missing a step. The biggest being getting traffic!
        Some really good points you raised here and I'm gonna go over some of those things with him. I think he's just fixated on the idea of making money online that he doesn't have a definite plan as to how he's actually going to achieve that.

        He wants to know the mistakes that people make so he can avoid them, but what good is that if he doesn't even know what he's going to sell online to make money.

        Good stuff, thanks.
        Signature
        Actionable blueprints and strategies for growing your site. www.contentranked.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    Here are the main reasons:

    1. Ignorance

    2. Laziness

    3. Lack of organization

    4. Lack of perseverance and determination

    5. Lack of money





    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955643].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shadeofinfo
      Originally Posted by clever7 View Post

      Here are the main reasons:

      1. Ignorance

      2. Laziness

      3. Lack of organization

      4. Lack of perseverance and determination

      5. Lack of money





      Really good points you made here.

      I truly dislike it when a person says that they failed in business because of money. I just can't accept that as a suitable answer.
      Signature
      Actionable blueprints and strategies for growing your site. www.contentranked.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958182].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    There are a lot of reasons.

    Here are a few that jump out for me and not in any order:

    1. Giving up at the first sign of adversity
    2. Giving up just before a major breakthrough is about to happen
    3. Lack of self confidence
    4. No definite plan
    5. No clear goal
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shadeofinfo
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      There are a lot of reasons.

      Here are a few that jump out for me and not in any order:

      1. Giving up at the first sign of adversity
      2. Giving up just before a major breakthrough is about to happen
      3. Lack of self confidence
      4. No definite plan
      5. No clear goal
      All of these are really great points. I personally know a few people that gave up on a business idea when tough times came around. And it ties in to your point about self confidence because they're obviously not sure of themselves to work through it.
      Signature
      Actionable blueprints and strategies for growing your site. www.contentranked.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mateenyall
    I agree with many of the above posters but the biggest hurdles I had to cross before I broke through to making this my full time income were,

    - laser focus
    - patience and perseverance
    - understanding that this will take time to breakthrough
    - being comfortable with spending money on forums, advertising agencies etc
    - not strong enough emotional reasons to making this work

    That's all I can think of for now

    ~ Mateen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bradleymatthews
    Information overload. On the other hand, lack of the right information. Everyone has to find their niche and what works for themselves, not what necessarily works for another person. When you find it, stick with it and repeat the actions that bring you the best results.

    We're a society that wants things yesterday. If someone joins a biz opp and they don't make money their first week or month they tend to fade away onto the next.

    And, yes, pure laziness too!
    Signature

    A link rotator with affiliate links is still not within the sig files rules. No affiliate links, please.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xpesos
    Well as far my experience
    The main reason of failure is not believing in yourself, and thinking that some guide will make you Millionaire overnight

    The second reason is "Time management"

    Stop reading >> Start acting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    too much reading, NO ACTION

    NOT building a list

    Pissin' time up the wall on facebook, twitter, linkdin other various viral sites i.e. NOT DOING WORK!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    1. they dont understand "management of Me" - being your own boss doesn't just mean cashing checks, it means being your own boss and making YOU (the employee) do things YOU (the employee) doesn't necessarily like or want to do.

    2. lack of ability to identify a real opportunity from a perceived or over hyped-opportunity. That applies to business opportunities/affiliate programs, opportunities to purchase training/software/ads, opportunities to outsource,......
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author veekay31
    Not sticking to one method for long enough to make money online & information overload are two major reasons that people fail to make money online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author absolutelee
    Not realizing how steep and long the learning curve is, and getting distracted, moving to another "method" because they misinterpreted the learning curve.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955863].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miriamhigg
    I believe that a lot of people fail to reach the level of success they are hoping for is information overload. Many people including myself do so much research and in so doing chase one shiny object after another one. You can easily drown yourself with all of that information and hence make no real progress in achieving your goals. You are not following a set plan but trying to learn many different plans and that just does not work. As hard as it is to do you need to find one method you want to master and stick to it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shadowflux
      One of the biggest problems I see is that people think IM is a real, tangible thing and not simply marketing done on the internet. The people who make a lot of money treat what they do like a business.

      They put a lot of thought into their strategy, they work hard, and they perfect things as they go. Most importantly, they understand what IM really is, what it's true purpose is, and they act accordingly.

      Too many people are stuck in this IM microcosm.

      They only read material on IM and neglect books about business, entrepreneurship, and marketing in general. They only focus on making $596,278 a day and never try to learn about finance or the nature of money. They only learn to write bad sales copy or blog posts and never develop a real talent for writing.

      A lot of people also follow bad examples. They might purchase a few low quality products and then think this is an acceptable way to create their own products. This leads them to making low quality products and wondering why they never sell.

      I've always said IM doesn't really exist. It's just marketing done through the internet. Everything about business, finance, and the wider world of marketing apply to making money online.

      Let's also not neglect the fact that many people are simply unwilling to actually work hard. Most people want an easy answer, they really do want to get rich quick without any work. That's simply impossible.
      Signature
      Native Advertising Specialist
      Dangerously Effective
      Always Discreet
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8955910].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
        Originally Posted by shadeofinfo View Post

        Hi everyone,

        So the question is, why do people fail?

        I'll get it started I guess. I've seen, read stories even witnessed many people succeed in business. All types. But, sadly, I've also seen thousands of people achieve little or no success at all.

        Though I don't know ALL of the answers as to why people fail, I do know that ONE of the reasons they fail is ...

        FOCUS.

        Or lack of focus. Meaning they never stay with one plan for very long.

        Basically they're dabbling in opportunity after opportunity, hoping to luck their way into one that will make them a fortune.

        Anyone else care to share their opinions?

        --Andrew
        Yep, focus is important, but l think that determination is a more important trait.

        I have been online, for the last 6 years, and am just starting to make money!

        Most crack IM, in 5 years, and some do it in a few months.


        Most try a few times and then give up for good!


        Which is a pity since some things online do actually work!

        But that is only after a lot of learning, hard work, endless failure, and nagging family!


        But the funny thing about success, is the more you fail the more determined and focused you become!

        Which means opportunities you would have jumped at a year ago, you wouldn't touch now. Which means you detour less and less, and stay on course!

        And the greater your chances become of making an income from this, or more!


        People who sit on the fence, and watch your years of failure with not much to show for it, don't get this.

        Then when you succeed the inevitable, how lucky you are comment comes up!

        After all they don't want to know that it was a process, virtually anyone could go through to get there. Far easier to go back to a mediocre job, or life, and moan about how person A, is buying this or person B is doing that!


        I think that the greatest mistake in life is not going for it!


        Person A, is unemployed, and watches Football and drinks beer all day!

        Person B, is unemployed, but decides to "just do it" and even though money is tight, he manages to get a computer, and get online. Better tools come along and courses, and he is making a substantial income after 5 years!


        Person A, is shaking his head, because on the surface he just thinks that dumb luck played a part, but deep down, he knows it is just fear!


        Shane
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8956240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
    Unrealistic expectations such as believing the guff that "anyone can make a bazillion dollars with no effort in the next ten minutes".
    Signature
    Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
    So that blind people can hate them as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    They choose unrealistic business models. They focus more on incidental stuff like SEO than on impressing customers. They think they can earn money from systems, magic software and hot programs when it always comes back to identifying a problem people want solved and doing that for a price they can afford to pay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958183].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shadeofinfo
    This is some really great stuff everyone, thanks for your input truly. Some timely and priceless advice shared here. Thanks.
    Signature
    Actionable blueprints and strategies for growing your site. www.contentranked.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958198].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

      Unrealistic expectations such as believing the guff that "anyone can make a bazillion dollars with no effort in the next ten minutes".
      What!!!

      I hope that doesn't mean that the software l was considering, developed by an underground Russian hacker, who out of the goodness or his heart, wants to help humanity, by disclosing his hot, press 3 buttons and make a zillion by lunchtime, in your underwear, while eating a sausage is a crock.....?

      Damn!!!!


      I may have to consider the other one, with a US guru, that uses ex, hookers and gnome throwing in his sales video, "Super SEO Traffic Gyser", make a zillion by breakfast time software?

      At least l only need to turn the computer on, and the heavens will open up, much easier, don't want to over exert myself with the other 3 click one!!! He, he!


      Or l could go back to working hard, learning from my mistakes, and making progress towards my Beach flyer business?


      Tough choice!


      Shane
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author taskemann
    The main reason why people fail online is, in my opinion, negative family and friends. If your closest ones are negative, it will also make a negative impact on your motivation.

    Family and friends are the ultimate motivation killers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by taskemann View Post

      The main reason why people fail online is, in my opinion, negative family and friends. If your closest ones are negative, it will also make a negative impact on your motivation.

      Family and friends are the ultimate motivation killers.
      True, but apart from not understanding your progress, (eventhough there may be little profit) the question you need to ask yourself is....

      are they IM professionals, or are they very successful online?

      If they haven't at least created a successful business from scratch, then their option means little!


      But l have found if you persist for long enough, then your remaining friends and family, will just leave you alone.

      It might be a pity thing, or they want to let you burn yourself out and come to your senses, or even see if you get somewhere; but whatever the case least you can get on with it, and eventually prove them wrong!

      Not sure about the "get somewhere one", more likely they are thinking you are a hopeless case that needs to be left along!


      As said before, no understanding of the process, they just see huge risk, and dumb luck!


      The harder l work, the luckier l become is true, but simplistic and misleading!

      Anyone could work hard online and get nowhere with it!


      The harder l work, and fail, and learn from my mistakes the luckier l become, might be better! He, he!


      Shane
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958802].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8958964].message }}

Trending Topics