Dont you hate that - Ordering Food they get it wrong

by Daones
31 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Your stomach is grumbling you wait 30-40 minutes for your food to come (delivery) it finally comes and your mouth is watering ready to eat. You open it up and :

A. They forget something you ordered
B. Give you something completely different then what you ordered

So you call up pissed and tell them they will either come back and give you the right order. Or i had in the past they wanted to actually charge me in addition to get what I ordered... I was so pissed... but at that point I was not going to eat something I didnt order.

I only bring this up because it just happened to me last night.

Have any stories on deliveries gone wrong ?
  • Profile picture of the author David Braybrooke
    Happened to me last month. I couldn't find a feedback form on the restaurant's main website so I plastered my displeasure across their Facebook page. Icecream sundaes at $15 each should be made as requested. Staff and customers (on the Facebook page) got gripey with me for 'public honesty' so I complained even louder!

    Some manager guy from la de da land finally replies to my email, (sent from me as requested by a staff member.) It took forever to get a response! And I was offered a 'complimentary sundae' when it suited me etc. Yipee! Of course, I told them what they could do with their 'free offerings'. As you do!
    Signature
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." - Mark Russell
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      Originally Posted by David Braybrooke View Post

      Happened to me last month. I couldn't find a feedback form on the restaurant's main website so I plastered my displeasure across their Facebook page. Icecream sundaes at $15 each should be made as requested. Staff and customers (on the Facebook page) got gripey with me for 'public honesty' so I complained even louder!

      Some manager guy from la de da land finally replies to my email, (sent from me as requested by a staff member.) It took forever to get a response! And I was offered a 'complimentary sundae' when it suited me etc. Yipee! Of course, I told them what they could do with their 'free offerings'. As you do!
      That's a lot of stress and time over an ice cream and then when you finally got a free one, you didn't take it. I think I'd have just gone for a beer instead, it would have been more satisfying for me and less stressful.

      I guess, when you don't want to cook and don't want to collect something someone else has made for you, I wouldn't get too upset if the order was a bit wrong, it'd be a good reminder to make it myself or get it myself next time.

      Either way, where ever I go, I find it more pleasant to be nice to the staff, they'll also be less inclined to gob on my food and that really is one of the nicer things some people do. That's not to say I wouldn't complain, I'd just do so in a manner that got me what I want, rather then pissed other people off, who will then prepare my food.

      Most people serving and making the food don't get paid a great deal and don't really give a s*** how uptight and stressed you get. The manager will have to deal with that and he/she probably didn't make or deliver the food.

      Still, whatever floats your boat.
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9086343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    I think it would probably be wise to be jovial and polite about it (maybe even promising big tips) and wait until after the food you actually requested is served to deliver complaints (so as not to be in danger of ingesting complimentary boogers and suchlike).
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
      Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

      I think it would probably be wise to be jovial and polite about it (maybe even promising big tips) and wait until after the food you actually requested is served to deliver complaints (so as not to be in danger of ingesting complimentary boogers and suchlike).
      I am very polite to whomever is preparing my food.
      Signature

      "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082820].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Yes, this is intolerable. Where's Live Aid when you need it?

        .
        Signature
        TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    I once asked for "extra cheese", and I am HAPPY she checked on my TURKEY SANDWICH! SHE heard, SOMEHOW, "less turkey"!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    Originally Posted by nationsubmit View Post

    Your stomach is grumbling you wait 30-40 minutes for your food to come (delivery) it finally comes and your mouth is watering ready to eat. You open it up and :

    A. They forget something you ordered
    B. Give you something completely different then what you ordered

    So you call up pissed and tell them they will either come back and give you the right order. Or i had in the past they wanted to actually charge me in addition to get what I ordered... I was so pissed... but at that point I was not going to eat something I didnt order.

    I only bring this up because it just happened to me last night.

    Have any stories on deliveries gone wrong ?
    I know exactly what you mean and that's why...

    I been checking my deliveries since I had a problem about 5 years ago. The delivery person does not get paid or gets to leave until I give them the OK.
    Signature

    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    no pickles means MORE pickles, evidently.

    I now tell them i am severely allergic to pickles. that seems to get their attention.
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9082906].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      The out and out winner in my location is the Taco Bell. Used to be good on the drive thru then went to pieces.

      I used to get their Volcano hot Burrito and cheesy potatoes. Then on an order, got home to find a different Burrito and no cheesy potatoes, a one off, next order we checked it, several things in the bag, more than we ordered but none were what we ordered, walked in and the guy gave what we ordered and said to keep what we had got in error.

      Got home to find the so called correct meal he had given us the second time was not what we ordered either.??!!! Gave up after that!

      I find restaurants that used to be fast and efficient and accurate are now always getting things wrong and knocking stuff off the bill to compensate. Happens on a regular basis.

      Portions are smaller, food takes longer to come and my biggest bone of contention, the food is not hot!
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9083714].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
        Sometimes the order taker doesn't get it even when you go in person to do takeout. When I was working brick and mortar, I was sent to a new Chinese food place close by the office. Apparently none of them spoke American English very well as the person totally misunderstood and yelled out some kind of order in what I assume was Chinese.

        Whatever he told the cook, it was totally wrong and I got blamed for it. Probably should have done pictures from the menu or something.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9083733].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by NewParadigm View Post

      no pickles means MORE pickles, evidently.

      I now tell them i am severely allergic to pickles. that seems to get their attention.
      Probably best not to be ordering from a place named, 'We Be Pickles and Stuff.'

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    One of the last times I ever ate fast food, I got a burger with a big bite out of it. I took it back in and wailed at the manager. I was HOT. She offered me a free meal. I told her I wasn't willing to risk saliva or urine, and just took my money back. Copied the phone number of the complaint dept. and called the next day and chewed their asses to a wall, too.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9083948].message }}
  • On the other side of the fence, I worked in restaurants for several years before becoming a freelance writer. I'd have recurring nightmares about my job because of the way people behaved like absolute animals, many of them refusing to grant you even the most common of courtesies, and expected infallibility from a person who is likely not making very much money.

    The last restaurant job I worked, my shifts lasted 8 to 10 hours and were so busy that I barely had time to take a sip of water, let alone an actual break or meal. Then people would tip poorly because I got a single side dish wrong at their table of 8 people. I'd go and whisper my mistake to one of the kitchen guys so the owner didn't have the chance to scream and throw things.

    It's amazing how far being pleasant and patient with the people handling your food can be. Not only do you get the piece of mind of knowing that you didn't make another human being's life a living hell simply because it's been more than four hours since your last meal, you also don't get your order messed up. I'm sure I eat at restaurants/order takeout more than most people here and I can recall very few instances where there was any sort of error with my order.

    It's also possible that other people's incorrect orders are just as rare as mine but they choose to hold on to them as justification for some sort of strange personal crusade against minimum wage-earning fast food employees.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9084025].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by The Content Professional View Post

      It's amazing how far being pleasant and patient with the people handling your food can be. Not only do you get the piece of mind of knowing that you didn't make another human being's life a living hell simply because it's been more than four hours since your last meal, you also don't get your order messed up. I'm sure I eat at restaurants/order takeout more than most people here and I can recall very few instances where there was any sort of error with my order.
      MAN! I have read and seen posts by employees, etc... They don't always choose to do this stuff only to angry people or people that make their life hard. They have "adulterated" WHOLE BATCHES of donuts or lemonade, etc.... HECK, a couple years ago some people got sick, and I believe even DIED because of careless treatment at a peanut processing plant. Nearly ANYTHING in the nation, perhaps the planet, that had peanuts was SUSPECT! The company even went bankrupt:

      FDA’s Investigation

      DON'T worry. Similar things have happened with many things.

      It's also possible that other people's incorrect orders are just as rare as mine but they choose to hold on to them as justification for some sort of strange personal crusade against minimum wage-earning fast food employees.
      Incorrect orders depend on several things. SOME, for example, use audio technology that is on a par with maybe VERY BAD 1950s technology. It is HORRIBLE, but common. And they MAY have visual feedback but, even when available, it is often not used. and then there are foreigners. I have a cousin from wisconsin. She sounds like a normal american. Midwest accent, like many in California. She came back LIVID, asking us(I was BORN in California), how to say "box". We all said "YOU SAID IT RIGHT". Well, the order taker didn't understand!

      And MAN, the "adulteration" of food is actually pretty common. It is just a question of what it is and what you will tolerate. And if you find a foreign object, WHAT is it? Feces is common(That is what caused the peanut recall), but you are usually talking about a microscopic amount. To think that there might be a HUGE amount placed there intentionally, YIKES! Of course Mucous, urine, and other things just add to that.

      So they do a LOT to argue that they shouldn't be paid any more. MAN, if I had a food service, I would watch it like a hawk.

      Did you see the Baja Fresh(under cover)? They were REAL upset! They ran a standard test, as they were showing the head guy(hat they thought was a new employee). The head guy almost blew cover, and worked to get the technician there RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!! He wallked out to "take a break" during the commotion, and placed a call. The manager of the shop was suddenly called by the other guy with an interim solution and soon the technician was walking through the front door. WHY? Because the cold table was 45f, when it should have been 40f or less. They CHECK it at least once a day, and I am sure periodically. They probably have some other measure they check, but the only reliable way for THIS is a probe in the middle of the product.

      WHY all that hassle for 5 degrees? Nobody may have noticed! It may not have hurt anyone! NOPE! They didn't want the increased amount of bacteria, or to take the chance. If the head guy found out about somebody "adulterating" the stuff, you could bet they would be OUT OF THERE!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9084322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lanfear63
      Originally Posted by The Content Professional View Post

      On the other side of the fence, I worked in restaurants for several years before becoming a freelance writer. I'd have recurring nightmares about my job because of the way people behaved like absolute animals, many of them refusing to grant you even the most common of courtesies, and expected infallibility from a person who is likely not making very much money.

      The last restaurant job I worked, my shifts lasted 8 to 10 hours and were so busy that I barely had time to take a sip of water, let alone an actual break or meal. Then people would tip poorly because I got a single side dish wrong at their table of 8 people. I'd go and whisper my mistake to one of the kitchen guys so the owner didn't have the chance to scream and throw things.

      It's amazing how far being pleasant and patient with the people handling your food can be. Not only do you get the piece of mind of knowing that you didn't make another human being's life a living hell simply because it's been more than four hours since your last meal, you also don't get your order messed up. I'm sure I eat at restaurants/order takeout more than most people here and I can recall very few instances where there was any sort of error with my order.

      It's also possible that other people's incorrect orders are just as rare as mine but they choose to hold on to them as justification for some sort of strange personal crusade against minimum wage-earning fast food employees.
      I fully understand your side of things. I used to work in retail. In both cases a restaurant and a big store are earning good money yet don't want to pay their staff accordingly and give them good working conditions and just say well, your lucky to have a job if they complain. Never understood that mentality. Just pure greed. It would be so nice to get a good experience in either situation simply because the staff are valued, well paid and treated well.
      Signature

      Marriage, For The Best Arguments

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9085001].message }}
  • ^ Hey bud, I'm not really sure what any of that health code info has to do with incorrect orders or anything I said. If you're worried about crap (pun intended) being in the food, then don't go there.

    For the record, I haven't seen a single instance of a waiter or cook tampering with someone's food in nearly five years in restaurants, so using that as an excuse to treat those people without common decency is pretty off base. I'm sure it happens but for every batch of dirty donuts, there are millions more made every day.

    As for the incorrect orders, I live in the Philippines and I don't seem to have any problems with it. I didn't have a problem back in the States, either. I'm not sure what to tell you...pick better restaurants, maybe?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9084412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by The Content Professional View Post

      ^ Hey bud, I'm not really sure what any of that health code info has to do with incorrect orders or anything I said. If you're worried about crap (pun intended) being in the food, then don't go there.

      For the record, I haven't seen a single instance of a waiter or cook tampering with someone's food in nearly five years in restaurants, so using that as an excuse to treat those people without common decency is pretty off base. I'm sure it happens but for every batch of dirty donuts, there are millions more made every day.

      As for the incorrect orders, I live in the Philippines and I don't seem to have any problems with it. I didn't have a problem back in the States, either. I'm not sure what to tell you...pick better restaurants, maybe?
      Well, just showing that even if you paid them $1000 for a drink, were cheerful, etc... that the attitude that they should just do this "adulteration" bites itself in the rear, and they may not even be ABLE to provide a good meal. If I only got the bad ones, knowing that it was rare would not make me feel ANY better.

      I always try to treat them nice. I can't remember the last time I ever even asked for an order to be redone, etc... Of course, now, who would bother?

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9084444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by The Content Professional View Post

      ^ Hey bud, I'm not really sure what any of that health code info has to do with incorrect orders or anything I said. If you're worried about crap (pun intended) being in the food, then don't go there.

      For the record, I haven't seen a single instance of a waiter or cook tampering with someone's food in nearly five years in restaurants, so using that as an excuse to treat those people without common decency is pretty off base. I'm sure it happens but for every batch of dirty donuts, there are millions more made every day.
      Employees have been CAUGHT tampering with food, and have ADMITTED it! It is INCREDIBLY hard to prove! Say they spit in soup. Outside of some chemical test, HOW could you even APPROACH proof. So I have to wonder why you say such things NEVER happen.

      As for the incorrect orders, I live in the Philippines and I don't seem to have any problems with it. I didn't have a problem back in the States, either. I'm not sure what to tell you...pick better restaurants, maybe?
      HOW do you "pick better restaurants"? COST, reputation, and ratings don't mean anything. There are also laws in the US REQUIRING restaurants to hire lunsavory people, If there is a complaint, BAM! HECK, ever see shows like "restaurant stakeout"? Sometimes they move the bad guys elsewhere. BTW THEY caught people doing what I just spoke about.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9330840].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        Have any stories on deliveries gone wrong ?
        Nope - that would be such a small blip on my life radar I wouldn't remember it 2 weeks later.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

        I'm going to work on being less condescending
        (Condescending means to talk down to people)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9331387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
    I had an experience years ago where my ex-girlfriend and I were out at an Italian Restaurant and when they brought our food out you could clearly see a FLY on her plate, wings spread, that was just beneath the melted cheese!

    I called the server over and he was horrified. Of course, they gave her another plate of food - 20 minutes later! I wanted to wait for her food so we could eat at the same time, but she insisted I go ahead, so we kind of shared mine while waiting for hers.

    When we were paying our bill I saw the manager and told him what had happened. He replied "what do you want me to do about it?" Complete jerk! I told him that the least they could do would be to pay for her meal or give us a free meal next time after such a poor experience.

    This jerk then told me "we don't make special allowances for people looking for free food." No joke! He really said that.

    I was furious, to say the least! I pulled out my wallet and showed him over $400.00 I had on me and told him I didn't need his free food. I was NOT happy, but my girlfriend's pulling my arm saying "let's just go, we'll know better than to come here again."

    I called the next day and spoke to a different manager, told them what had happened, etc and although this guy was a little more civil, I pretty much got the "sorry about your luck" reply. I'm pretty sure they were family owned and each had the others back.

    They've been out of business for years now. Breaks my heart. Not!
    Signature

    My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

    http://www.UnCENTSored.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9084485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
    I've had a couple other experiences that weren't too bad, but could have easily been avoided.

    Example, you get a waitress that knows her job so well that she doesn't bother writing your order down, even when you ask for special orders. She just says "no problem, I've got it" and then when the food arrives it's messed up.

    THAT ticks me off! There's simply no excuse for that. I can see being confident, but if it's a special order or request it should always be written down, just in case.

    Dang! This food talk is making me hungry. I haven't been out to breakfast in a long time either. Hmmm...
    Signature

    My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

    http://www.UnCENTSored.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9084495].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Joe Stewart View Post

      I've had a couple other experiences that weren't too bad, but could have easily been avoided.

      Example, you get a waitress that knows her job so well that she doesn't bother writing your order down, even when you ask for special orders. She just says "no problem, I've got it" and then when the food arrives it's messed up.

      THAT ticks me off! There's simply no excuse for that. I can see being confident, but if it's a special order or request it should always be written down, just in case.

      Dang! This food talk is making me hungry. I haven't been out to breakfast in a long time either. Hmmm...
      Actually, that's the correct procedure in nicer restaurants. My ex worked in a restaurant that wouldn't allow the wait staff to write down the orders at the table unless there were 7 or more in the party. They would need to memorize the orders, then write them on a ticket in the back hallway before giving it to the kitchen cooks.

      And because it was a nice restaurant, there were appetizers, various sides, what type of salad dressing, etc. for each person. The wait staff would also need to remember which person got what. There was no asking "who had the well done porterhouse".
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9086122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Mistakes happen. No need to grind someone into the ground because they made a mistake. If you're polite and point out the mistake respectfully, in my experience most will make it right and treat you extra well.

    It's a mean old world, sometimes. Making it meaner doesn't help anyone.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9086158].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Mistakes happen. No need to grind someone into the ground because they made a mistake. If you're polite and point out the mistake respectfully, in my experience most will make it right and treat you extra well.

      It's a mean old world, sometimes. Making it meaner doesn't help anyone.
      Exactly. The only time I've ever gotten nasty with any service personnel is when they are belligerent first -- or in the case of getting a sandwich with a big bite out of it. That wasn't a mistake, that was just disrespect. I've eaten all over the country and have seen a lot of people make mistakes, but they were taken care of right away so not a big deal. Very rarely has someone been actually rude to me.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9086253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Copper11
    Maybe that's my bad fortune, but they tend to ignore my 'severely allergic' remark. So in the end I end with onions I really hate in everything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinDupre
    I just ordered a roast beef sandwich on delivery. They brought turkey. I called them up and told them. They came back with a roast beef sandwich in exchange for the turkey sandwich.

    People make mistakes. You are not a king or queen. Would you want people you don't know coming into your place of business and calling you a piece of shit just because you made a simple mistake that can easily be fixed? No. So stop getting all uppity when you're ordering your classy $2 big macs and deep fried chalupas.
    Signature
    I offer CPA coaching and investment opportunities for those SERIOUSLY interested in making money directly or indirectly with affiliate marketing. PM me for details.


    Read More about CPA/Affiliate Marketing on my Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9089188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ariver
    Without a doubt this would tick of anyone but I see no reason why some people respond rudely or even violently. More often than not its an honest mistake so tell the server/waiter/cashier they missed out but you can always do this in the good way.

    I've been on the receiving end of these complaints so when I know how it feels
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    There was a restaurant where I used to live. Best place in the valley.
    The owners sold it for a song and carried the financing. The new
    owners should have had an easy-peasy time of running it as it
    always has been.

    Instead, they constantly got orders wrong - even something as simple as forgetting
    cheese on a sandwich. Within six months the old owners had to take
    it back.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clyde Dennis
    Never go to the drive thru! You already know what happens in the drive thru...

    http://youtu.be/um30Lbu6-nc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    I usually forgive pretty much anything as long as I'm not given attitude which I also usually give leeway for as well. Someone really has to be go out of their way to rile me up, but it does happen once in a blue moon.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9332234].message }}

Trending Topics