True or false: wealth is a good indicator of how many friends you have?

53 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
I've been thinking that wealthy people must have lots of friends, because if they didn't, their businesses would suffer, and they wouldn't be wealthy at all
#false #friends #good #indicator #true #wealth
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    False.

    Being wealthy doesn't mean you'll have a lot of friends.

    You'll know a lot of people, but that doesn't mean they're your friends.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Max Anderson
    I learned that quite the opposite is true.

    Sure, you will know probably lots of people, but because you have common interests doesn´t mean you are friends!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    The common interest is money and they aren't really your friends if they aren't at the same income level.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chri5123
    Being wealthy means that you offer something of value that a lot of people want. That does not make them your friends - however that said a few of my clients i would now call friends.

    You can "make money" by offering something that is not valuable and "marketing" it well.

    However, to be wealthy - in the money sense - means you meet a need for a lot of people (normally) better than anyone else and that the product or service is quality and that is why people keep coming back.

    Depending where you come from - "being wealthy" might lose you friends.

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chrisv24
    Wealth is definitely not an indicator of how popular you are. If anything, I have noticed that wealth can turn your friends against you if they aren't enjoying the same success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
    I believe wealth to a certain degree is a good indicator of how many friends you have.

    For me, it's your character, attitude and personality that can make you have many genuine friends. It's how you treat others and coexist with them. Your communication skill is another key.


    Wealth

    noun
    1. An abundance of valuable possessions or money.


    friend

    noun
    plural noun: friends; plural noun: Friends
    1. A person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

    synonyms: companion, soul mate, intimate, confidante, confidant, familiar, alter ego, second self, playmate, playfellow, classmate, schoolmate, workmate; ally, associate; sister, brother; best friend, kindred spirit, bosom buddy, bosom friend; informalpal, chum, sidekick, crony, main man, mate, buddy, bud, amigo, compadre, homeboy, homegirl, homie, dawg, gal pal, BF, BFF; informalpeeps; archaiccompeer
    "a close friend"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110781].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alice12345
      Originally Posted by magiclouie View Post

      I believe wealth to a certain degree is a good indicator of how many friends you have.

      For me, it's your character, attitude and personality that can make you have many genuine friends. It's how you treat others and coexist with them. Your communication skill is another key.
      Maybe rich does not make you a lot of friend. But altitude toward your friend is make you a lot of friend.

      I cant really tell you because I am not rich yet. LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113088].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DSGDSG
    Lol funny you mention successful business having a correlation to lots of friends because I found my friends would shop from my retail store when they were looking for something for free or deeply discounted. But when I had nothing at the time that I could give free or for less than my cost they'd shop elsewhere and pay full price. Never made sense to me because I always would support the business of someone I knew before I went elsewhere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9110821].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
      Originally Posted by DSGDSG View Post

      Lol funny you mention successful business having a correlation to lots of friends because I found my friends would shop from my retail store when they were looking for something for free or deeply discounted. But when I had nothing at the time that I could give free or for less than my cost they'd shop elsewhere and pay full price. Never made sense to me because I always would support the business of someone I knew before I went elsewhere.
      Do you think they are really your friends? Let's say they are your friends but not really your genuine friends.

      Just my 2 cents though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9112975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    that has nothing to do with anything, I get sometimes hundreds of sales a day, and I don't know any of them.

    If people had to rely on selling to friends they would be out of business in a week
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113105].message }}
  • It depends on how many people you're willing to trust your life and your secrets with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1stargeneral
    Banned
    In my own opinion, I think lots of friends isn't but little friends who are influencial. They help you make things happen. If there are people you can call to give you $10,000 and they are available willingly, then those are your friends
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author luke4
    Absolutely nothing to do with each other whatsoever. I keep my personal and business life completely separate and I have an extremely good group of friends around me. You become "wealthy" (business wise) through hard work of your own. In fact, if you have less friends, you'd probably have more time to run your business and make it more successful.

    I'd trade all the money i make for my current set of friends in an instant, that's where true happiness lies. Cringey comment I know, but it's true.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin1977
    I think to be wealthy it depends on what fkind of friend you have and what kind of connection you have. You need to have a connection with the right people. If they become friends that's better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Reddy20
    False !

    A True friend cannot be measured by money or your status in life. A true friend is someone who will accept you on who you are and what you are . And you will know that no matter what he/she will stick to you thru thick and thin

    As the saying goes " True Friends are like diamonds. They can't be made, you have to find them. Each one is unique. Fake friends are like falling leaves,they're scattered everywhere "
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomSkyHarris
    Become wealthy and you will have in an instant lots of new "friends". I guess people are attracted to shiny things. Smart wealthy people chose to surround themselves with a hand number of real friends that can fuel them in being even mores successful in life others are more like connection-friends if you want to simplify. Wealthy people hate leechers, so if you would like to be friend to wealthy famous people provide them value, something that they don't have.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    False.... The amount of people that stick around when times are rough, is an accurate indicator of how many friends you have.
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Katie Rich
    True friends are the ones that have been there for most of your life. Those who couldn't care less how much or how little you earn, how wealthy you are, who will support you when you are having a bad time. They will celebrate and laugh with you and cry with you too.

    Those are friends. I have two.

    Everyone else is an acquaintance, and many people have a lot of those.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9113780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ariver
    Correct me if I interpret this question wrong, when you say wealth being an indicator of how many friends, i understand this to be the more wealth = more friends. If that's the case I believe this doesn't hold true specially if you're talking about real and genuine friends whole will stick with you come hell or high water.

    One can be poor but rich with friends
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Malteaser
    False, False, False! I can say that out loud 100 times lol

    I had to distance myself from my close friends since I started IM because they label it as a scam. Funnily enough they don't even know much about so in order to be successful and not be influenced I distanced myself and started spending more time with like minded people online. It's a sad reality but it's helping me become successful!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    I am woefully shy and do not proactively go out making lots of friends at all.

    My friend list is also small.... and that's how I like it.

    Quality.... not quantity.... is what flaps my earlobes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    False. Friends can be helpful but not necessary.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Wealth indicates you know how to live.

    How many friends you have indicates that you are either social, or that you know how to live
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9114998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    I think alot of people are wealthy because of the amount of friends they have or the amount of people in their network (not necessarily friends).

    A lot of wealthy people have built up their networks and started getting to know lots of people BEFORE they were wealthy.

    And they leveraged their networks for information, connections, opportunities, experience and advice etc, that helped them build up their wealth.

    There is a great networking book called "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi.

    He says, "Poverty, I realized, wasn't only a lack of financial resources; it was isolation from the kind of people that could help you make more of yourself."

    When I think about the people in my life the ones who are the poorest financially are also the ones who are close to being hermits and have small networks.

    And the people I know who are the wealthiest have the biggest networks.

    Which I think they built along the way, and yes have attracted some because of their wealth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115757].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    You could be POOR and have LOTS of friends!

    You could be rich and a RECLUSE!

    People WILL claim to be your friends if you are rich but most are anything but your friends!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115852].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

      You could be POOR and have LOTS of friends!

      You could be rich and a RECLUSE!

      People WILL claim to be your friends if you are rich but most are anything but your friends!

      Steve
      You could be RICH and have LOTS of friends!

      You could be POOR and a RECLUSE!

      See how easy it is to make up "proof"?
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115870].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        You could be RICH and have LOTS of friends!

        You could be POOR and a RECLUSE!

        See how easy it is to make up "proof"?
        I didn't make up proof But YEAH, you COULD be rich and have a lot of friends. Most probably won't be friend, but a lot either way.

        And YEAH there are poor recluses also.

        Whatever! That one is true doesn't mean the other isn't.

        That was kind of my point.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    I could be wrong, but I would probably agree with the premise that rich people have more friends on average than poor. I say this because rich people are probably better at networking than the poor and have more access to social clubs like country clubs, etc.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115866].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      I could be wrong, but I would probably agree with the premise that rich people have more friends on average than poor. I say this because rich people are probably better at networking than the poor and have more access to social clubs like country clubs, etc.
      but do you really think this makes them more successful?

      Its more of BIRDS OF A FEATHER!, they share secrets with others close to them.

      On an average poor people still have friends and probably network too. Just in a different way.

      I do not think rich people are better at networking, no way!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118634].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kurt
        Originally Posted by celente View Post

        but do you really think this makes them more successful?

        Its more of BIRDS OF A FEATHER!, they share secrets with others close to them.

        On an average poor people still have friends and probably network too. Just in a different way.

        I do not think rich people are better at networking, no way!
        Networking may be the single most important key to becoming successful. So yes, I do believe it, WAY!

        I assume you've never heard the old saying about how much money is made on the golf course?

        It's funny on an IM forum you would post this opinion. You really don't think the IMers that are better networked don't make more money than those that aren't? Seriously?
        Signature
        Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
        Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118649].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by celente View Post

        I do not think rich people are better at networking, no way!
        Networking is work. Networking with wealthy business people is smart work.

        And one of the reasons they are wealthy is they have a network of business connections that can help them do business.

        Think about it. Many wealth business people are owners of successful businesses. Who do you think buys the most? Who do you think moves the most money?

        Not all wealthy people are networkers. In fact, maybe not most. But smart networkers (who see the wealthy people) tend to be far wealthier than the people who stick to themselves.

        Networking is selling...High level...smart...selling.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118828].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author whateverpedia
      Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

      I could be wrong, but I would probably agree with the premise that rich people have more friends on average than poor. I say this because rich people are probably better at networking than the poor and have more access to social clubs like country clubs, etc.
      Once you achieve a certain amount of wealth you are the same level as a nation. You no longer have friends, just interests.
      Signature
      Why do garden gnomes smell so bad?
      So that blind people can hate them as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9120917].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

        Once you achieve a certain amount of wealth you are the same level as a nation. You no longer have friends, just interests.
        I get that. But that's at a higher level than most of us can relate to.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9122276].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeTucker
        Originally Posted by whateverpedia View Post

        Once you achieve a certain amount of wealth you are the same level as a nation. You no longer have friends, just interests.
        "There are some people so poor, all they have is money."
        Signature

        The bartender says: "We don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

        ...A tachyon enters a bar.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9123227].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Topshop
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9125438].message }}
          • I'd say it depends on how you acquired your wealth.

            If you're a "self-made" person, it's likely that you cultivated some genuine friendships with some of the people who helped you succeed. If you're a trust-fund kid, you probably don't have any more or fewer friends than the less fortunate.
            Signature

            Bros find strictly platonic dudes on seekBromance.com
            _______________________________________________
            "It's pretty simple. You work hard, you believe anything is possible, and you try to make the world better."

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9125457].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
              Originally Posted by Hopeless Bromantic View Post

              I'd say it depends on how you acquired your wealth.

              If you're a "self-made" person, it's likely that you cultivated some genuine friendships with some of the people who helped you succeed. If you're a trust-fund kid, you probably don't have any more or fewer friends than the less fortunate.
              There is also a category known as the Idle rich, often those married into wealth, who has nothing to do except to socialize with each other.
              Signature

              Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9130093].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
                wealth is a good indicator of how many friends you have?
                Sure it is, if you are speaking of wealth of friends.

                Financial wealth, not so much, if at all.....

                Many people do choose a life at distance from abundance....and it ain't because they can't have it.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9130451].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
                  Banned
                  A friend is someone that has known you since you were eight years old and besides a continued willingness to tolerate your crap is still good for a $100 loan.

                  If you can count three of those in your life you are doing better than most people in the 'friend' department.

                  Cheers. - Frank
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9131462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    True or false: wealth is a good indicator of how many friends you have?
    Neither, or either. Wealth indicates ... wealth. Shocking, I know.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thunderbird
    I lived in opulence for a time. It means that you have your own tennis court and swimming pool and suchlike. Folks with less money go to community tennis courts, swimming pools, clubs, and so on which are actually great venues for meeting nice people. I can't say that in better times the people I met were generally, how you say, "nice." On the other hand, much of my perception of things depends on my mood more than financial circumstances etc.

    Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

    I could be wrong, but I would probably agree with the premise that rich people have more friends on average than poor. I say this because rich people are probably better at networking than the poor and have more access to social clubs like country clubs, etc.
    Yes, but I for one don't feel comfortable in such settings.

    HERE'S A SHOCKING FACT: People, however rich or however poor, are nice and nasty everywhere.
    Signature

    Project HERE.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9115945].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author waterotter
      Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post

      I lived in opulence for a time. It means that you have your own tennis court and swimming pool and suchlike. Folks with less money go to community tennis courts, swimming pools, clubs, and so on which are actually great venues for meeting nice people. I can't say that in better times the people I met were generally, how you say, "nice." On the other hand, much of my perception of things depends on my mood more than financial circumstances etc.



      Yes, but I for one don't feel comfortable in such settings.

      HERE'S A SHOCKING FACT: People, however rich or however poor, are nice and nasty everywhere.
      BBM

      Agree 100%. I miss my own tennis court, but I certainly don't miss the "friends" that were always at my doorstep. I have moved from that location to another lake, without a tennis court. Living on the lake, I don't want a pool. My "friends" are true friends that I can count on, regardless of status.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116117].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        I'm reasonably wealthy.

        First define "friend". The guy that jokes with you at the bar? The mailman?

        I define friend as someone who, if they call me at 3AM, I'll drive an hour to pick them up from a stranded car. If they need a place to stay, they have it. That number is about 6.

        A few are wealthier than me, a few less so.

        But we never talk about money. We may mention a new project, a new book we are writing, but nobody starts talking about how much money we have. We are simply good friends. The money is immaterial. Character is what counts. My friends are people of good character.

        Then there are maybe 40 people that I enjoy talking to. A few are people I do business with. But it has nothing to do with it. I either enjoy talking to them, or I don't. And they feel the same, I'm sure.

        Wealth has something to do with the number of profitable relationships you have. But these aren't real friends. If you switch companies...and your friend stops calling...that's not a friend. That's a supplier....or a client. I don't get them mixed up.

        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        I could be wrong, but I would probably agree with the premise that rich people have more friends on average than poor. I say this because rich people are probably better at networking than the poor and have more access to social clubs like country clubs, etc.
        That's actually one of the secrets of wealth. Building relationships with wealthy people that you can do deals with, or they can introduce you to people you can do business with. It's one of the main reasons "The rich get richer". They tend to do business with each other. They also tend to be business people.

        But they aren't friends like I think of them. They are strategic relationships. Wealthy business people know wealthy business people...who can help you in business. But this is work.

        Do you value the position the person has, or their character?

        The people who visit because I'm well off? I don't call them friends. I call them relatives.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9116342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    one of my clients, is a recluse in the rainforest. I talk to him on gmail chat, and he always tell me, its nice and quiet here today and nature is awesome :-)

    He does not have to visit friends, or anything, and pays for the internet which for him is not that expensive high up in the hills, as he is making about $7k per month. ANd most the day he is doing yoga up a tree or something LOL. He is a great guy too, just lives a life he wants. That is what it is all about.

    Where there is a will there is a way. its not WHO you know its about WHAT you know as well, that can be more potent and profitable....for sure :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
    Wealthy people I would assume typically have a bigger network than those who aren't wealthy, but a network of contacts and business associates are not necessarily friends.

    I KNOW more people now (part from being older, of course, but also because I have a business and I need contacts). But at the end of the day I have pretty much the same amount of friends. My oldest friend I have had since the third grade some 41 years ago. Also made some great friends while in the Navy.

    Money can open a lot more doors, but in the end I think it's personality, honesty and common ground that makes actual friends.
    Signature

    Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

      Wealthy people I would assume typically have a bigger network than those who aren't wealthy, but a network of contacts and business associates are not necessarily friends.

      I KNOW more people now (part from being older, of course, but also because I have a business and I need contacts). But at the end of the day I have pretty much the same amount of friends. My oldest friend I have had since the third grade some 41 years ago. Also made some great friends while in the Navy.

      Money can open a lot more doors, but in the end I think it's personality, honesty and common ground that makes actual friends.
      Honesty, personality and common ground are "common demoninators" for both the wealthy and poor and unless there's some evidence to suggest that there is a bias towards one or the other, we should assume that these factors will apply equally to both sides.

      So after we take out the "common denominators", we're left with money opening a lot more doors, which is the basis for my theory that the rich probably have more friends. And a single additional friend would quality as "more".

      I would say social groups like the the military and college would be settings that would create more friends. The military probably favors middle class and the poor, while college would likely favor the wealthy.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118879].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        Honesty, personality and common ground are "common demoninators" for both the wealthy and poor and unless there's some evidence to suggest that there is a bias towards one or the other, we should assume that these factors will apply equally to both sides.

        So after we take out the "common denominators", we're left with money opening a lot more doors, which is the basis for my theory that the rich probably have more friends. And a single additional friend would quality as "more".

        I would say social groups like the the military and college would be settings that would create more friends. The military probably favors middle class and the poor, while college would likely favor the wealthy.
        Glad you agree with me
        Signature

        Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmsumar
    False, as the wealthy only surround themselves with the wealthy and like minded people. So therefore they are with mostly acquaintances and not friends!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by dmsumar View Post

      False, as the wealthy only surround themselves with the wealthy and like minded people. So therefore they are with mostly acquaintances and not friends!
      And it's a scientific fact that wealthy people are incapable of emotions like love. Wealthy people are never happy. They don't have what poor people have, which is the security of knowing that they have real friends.

      I feel sorry for wealthy people. They are missing so much in life. And they are evil, let's not forget that too. I have a word for wealthy people...Disgusting. There, do you like that word?
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

      Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9119989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    There is possibly some truth in it but it is not the whole picture.

    Popular Kids In High School Earn More Money - Business Insider

    When I was in high school, I regarded this person as my best friend. But of course, he probably regarded me as an acquaintance. We did not have any contact after high school.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-1529160.html

    "For celebrities, aristocrats and the super-rich, there's only one place to celebrate the Chinese New Year - the lavish annual bash hosted by Andy and Patti Wong. As they prepare to party, Johnny Davis is granted a rare audience with Britain's most intriguing social butterflies"
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9118950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeTucker
    When you look at the most wealthy and powerful people in the world--
    High level executives in major corporations, and politicians-- What is their
    #1 activity? Greeting each other and shaking hands, followed by going to
    functions and luncheons and benefits and playing golf or tennis or racquetball, etc.

    And it just so happens that if you are a strong, consistent networker, you're going
    to meet a lot more people-- and of those perhaps a few more that are really worth
    knowing for your whole life!
    Signature

    The bartender says: "We don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

    ...A tachyon enters a bar.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9120013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Dolphins get a lot of good publicity for the drowning swimmers they push back to shore, but what you don't hear about is the many people they push farther out to sea! Dolphins aren't smart. They just like pushing things. - Dwight Schrute
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9122769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    It seems to me a lot of people here are confusing a social circle and acquaintances with actual "friends". Your social circles will always change and you will acquire friendly acquaintances throughout your life. I don't think that the actual "friend" count increases that much, though, no matter what your circumstances. People that you can really share intimate thoughts with or actually have each other's back no matter what are real friends and those aren't that large a number for any of us.

    I have a few from high school, a few from college, a few from my rockhound social circle, etc. I've had a few actual friends from my varied social circles throughout my life, but my circle of acquaintances and friendly acquaintances is much larger after years of travel and socializing in varied settings. Having a large crowd to invite to a pool party is not the same as having "friends". The "friend" is the one that you end up talking discretely with in the kitchen while everyone else is around the pool.

    Just because you socialize with someone and really enjoy their company, it doesn't really mean you are friends - you are friendly acquaintances, that have a mutual appreciation that can grow into a friendship over time.

    If I had a thanks button, there'd be a few on here, though. Claude makes a lot of sense when he separates business from personal. Just because someone in business can be helpful to know and your position is elevated from knowing them, it doesn't necessarily mean they are your "friend". They are obviously not enemies, but people in high places are keen senses of intellect and it's not necessary to be best buds with them for them to give you boosts into areas that will work well for you.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9131581].message }}

Trending Topics