30 percent of people worldwide now fat

33 replies
  • OFF TOPIC
  • |
Includes everyone, everywhere. Two out of three adults in UK now obese. Yikes.

30 percent of world is now fat, no country immune - SFGate
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    "Fat", "overweight" and "obese" are terms that are chucked around like muck.

    "Fat" by definition is possessing bodyfat that's unnecessary to supposed normal living. This is nonesene twofold. Different fat reserves are required for comfortable, effective in different parts of the world. Additionally, the definition means that the smallest amount of bodyfat classifies someone as "fat".

    Next, "overweight" follows a blanket guide which does not cater for muscle mass that exceeds that of the average Joe who is lazy by default, yet his way of living defines normality for a sole reason of establishing a basis of universal, jarred judgement. "Overweight" people then, according to the weight / age scale can be lean.

    "Obese" - same deal as above. Applicable only when an accurate BF reading is taken. A lot of "obese" people are actually just "overweight" - according to the said scale.

    The picture in the article shows not that of an "overweight" person but someone who is clearly "morbidly obese".

    The highest rates were in the Middle East and North Africa, where nearly 60 percent of men and 65 percent of women are heavy.
    A study of this magnitude is absolutely impossible.

    Figures are based upon a select group - an average which doesn't reflect the populus but people who report to medical consultants, and / or a demographic who's partaken in market research with readings.

    A claim that states 30% of the world is fat is just the utterance of a Silly Billy.

    I'm done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      The highest rates were in the Middle East and North Africa, where nearly 60 percent of men and 65 percent of women are heavy.
      Sorry Joe but I simply can't figure out how the Middle East and any of Africa can have the highest proportion of obesity.

      Besides, that says they are 'heavy'.

      Heavy? That could be applied to anything that doesn't naturally float in the air.

      So, total of 30% - It says China and India combined have about 15%, America has 13% and the other 2% must be in North Africa and the Middle East, I assume, even though they apparently have the highest proportion.

      Where does the rest of the world fit in here, like the UK, the whole of Europe, Russia, Canada, Australia.....? Besides 2/3's of approx 70,000,000 population of Britain is about 46 million and that doesn't make a dent on all those obese people in Africa, the Middle East, China and India.

      Have I missed something here? No one bloody weighed me.
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229127].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        I don't know where the numbers come from, but I can tell you two things I know;

        The majority of people I see locally...that are adults over 30 years old...are fat.... at least 40 pounds overweight. Yes, I'm one of them.

        When I ask customers from other countries, what the biggest difference is between their country and ours...they give me different short lists.

        But at the top of the list is always either "You eat so much more than any other country" or "You are so fat".
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        Terence Fletcher: "There are no two words in the English language more harmful than Good Job." Whiplash.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229161].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kurt
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post


          The majority of people I see locally...
          Since "fat" is a relative term, I would say that if it's a majority of people, they aren't fat. It's the other people that are skinny.
          Signature
          Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
          Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229816].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            The kids, who were weighed and measured back in November, are told not to look.
            Write something about a 12 yr old - put a flimsey seal on it and say "this is about you - don't look".

            Yeah, that'll work.

            If adults in this country would get some exercise - watch their weight - learn to cook instead of doing drive through....we wouldn't have to worry about the kids being overweight because they would follow the examples set for them and eat the food put in front of them.
            Signature
            Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

            Sometimes the fear won't go away, so you'll have to do it afraid.
            That's just the way it is.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229891].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kurt
              Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

              Write something about a 12 yr old - put a flimsey seal on it and say "this is about you - don't look".

              Yeah, that'll work.

              If adults in this country would get some exercise - watch their weight - learn to cook instead of doing drive through....we wouldn't have to worry about the kids being overweight because they would follow the examples set for them and eat the food put in front of them.
              IMO, eating isn't the biggest problem with being overweight in this country. It's lack of exercise.

              People in the early 1900's and before ate more calories a day than we do. They also worked a lot harder.

              I've put on weight in the past few years, and doing the math, I can calculate almost to the pound that my weight gain is because I haven't been exercising like I did before.

              PS...a real pet peeve of mine is the people that go to the gym, but also have automatic garage door openers and powered lawn mowers.
              Signature
              Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
              Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229896].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author HeySal
                Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

                IMO, eating isn't the biggest problem with being overweight in this country. It's lack of exercise.

                People in the early 1900's and before ate more calories a day than we do. They also worked a lot harder.

                I've put on weight in the past few years, and doing the math, I can calculate almost to the pound that my weight gain is because I haven't been exercising like I did before.

                PS...a real pet peeve of mine is the people that go to the gym, but also have automatic garage door openers and powered lawn mowers.
                We don't eat real food anymore for the most part, though. It doesn't matter how many calories you're eating if you're eating stuff that forces your body to retain chemicals and fat. True - we need more exercise, but we should be fueling it with real food instead of that frankencrap that a majority of people are eating. I don't even know where they'd hope to get the energy to do the exercise from the stuff that's going down their throats.

                I also blame continual enviromental temperature control for at least a % of that weight retention. The body burns a lot of calories when forced to do its own temperature control. If you turn down the heat just a few degrees when it's cold, and leave the air conditioner off - never turning it up past 80 degrees it would just astound people how much effect that has on weight loss. Same principle as exercise, too - make that body use the fuel to do work instead of allowing it to park it on your thighs.
                Signature

                Sal
                When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
                Beyond the Path

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9230501].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Kurt
                  Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

                  We don't eat real food anymore for the most part, though. It doesn't matter how many calories you're eating if you're eating stuff that forces your body to retain chemicals and fat. True - we need more exercise, but we should be fueling it with real food instead of that frankencrap that a majority of people are eating. I don't even know where they'd hope to get the energy to do the exercise from the stuff that's going down their throats.

                  I also blame continual enviromental temperature control for at least a % of that weight retention. The body burns a lot of calories when forced to do its own temperature control. If you turn down the heat just a few degrees when it's cold, and leave the air conditioner off - never turning it up past 80 degrees it would just astound people how much effect that has on weight loss. Same principle as exercise, too - make that body use the fuel to do work instead of allowing it to park it on your thighs.
                  It DOES matter how many calories we eat. If it doesn't, just send that food to the starving people around the world. They wouldn't need much, if calories didn't matter. Just give them 5 potato chips a day and some vitamins.

                  If calories don't matter, then a human body would be a "perpetual motion" machine and defy the laws of physics. Sure, some foods may slow metabolism and others help to increase it. But these are done on a relatively small scale.
                  Signature
                  Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
                  Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9230523].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
                    Ooooh look the new design has arrived, I quite like it actually.

                    Anyway, back to this nonsense and some great news.

                    First of all I must admit I've made a huge error during my education by not understanding what 'proportion' means. You see that article says 60% of African men and 65% of women are overweight, or heavy as it says. That's an average of 62.5%

                    It also says says that in Britain, 2 in 3 adults or two thirds are over weight, now that's 66.6%, yet, it says, Africa and the middle East have the highest obesity rates though. Granted though, it just says Britain is 2/3's 'overweight' and the fattest in Western Europe.

                    This brings up some interesting points especially after I read this about a village in Pakistan...

                    Shah also said the villagers no longer have to rely on their own farms for food.

                    "There are roads for (companies) to bring in their processed foods and the people don't have to slaughter their own animals for meat and oil," he said. "No one knew about Coke and Pepsi 20 years ago. Now it's everywhere."
                    Brilliant isn't it? Live Aid, Band Aid, Food Aid and all that stuff we've doing to try and help the starving and all along they just needed a bloody road and constant supply of Coke and Pepsi.

                    I also found this from 14 years ago Countries Compared by Health > Obesity. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

                    According to that, just 11 years ago not a single country in the Middle East, Africa, or China or India made it into the top 29 fattest countries and here we are, just over a decade later and they're now the top fattest along with America.

                    So, no need for food aid or anything else going forward, I'm starting up a charity right now to ship liposuction machines and lots trampolines to these countries along with airlifts full of copies of Mens Health and Womens Health to get them back to fitness again.

                    Poor buggers.
                    Signature

                    Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231274].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
                      Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

                      Ooooh look the new design has arrived, I quite like it actually.
                      Yup, the new look is following design trends set by Microsoft and others where all the colors and elements are flat.

                      Unlike my stomach!

                      Heyyooooooooooooo!
                      Signature
                      Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
                      - Jack Trout
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231330].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
                        Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

                        Yup, the new look is following design trends set by Microsoft and others where all the colors and elements are flat.

                        Unlike my stomach!

                        Heyyooooooooooooo!
                        That makes 2 of us Joe.

                        It'll take a bit of getting used to but I don't mind it. I'm sure lots of people will, lots won't and lots won't even care.

                        Just like life.
                        Signature

                        Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231332].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
                    Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

                    It DOES matter how many calories we eat. If it doesn't, just send that food to the starving people around the world. They wouldn't need much, if calories didn't matter. Just give them 5 potato chips a day and some vitamins.

                    If calories don't matter, then a human body would be a "perpetual motion" machine and defy the laws of physics. Sure, some foods may slow metabolism and others help to increase it. But these are done on a relatively small scale.
                    I wasn't saying that calories don't matter........

                    I was saying that you can count calories and limit them, but if you are eating a lot of chemical crap or have retarded your metabolism, you'll store the calories instead of burn them. Once your body is in correct condition, you can eat a normal amount of calories without problems.

                    One of the main problems with chemicals in foods is they disturb the normal healthy balance of different types of gut flora - then you are going to store calories instead of burn them - and as you gain weight one type of gut flora over-breeds the others so it becomes almost impossible to lose that weight.

                    So I didn't actually mean calories don't matter, I meant that you can restrict calories and still not be able to lose weight - you can exercise and still struggle to lose because most of what you eat is being stored instead of burned. Exercise doesn't burn that many calories on its own - some yeah, but what exercise does mostly is crank your metabolism. Once that metabolism is faster, you can eat more calories without gaining weight. It takes straightening out your gut flora balance for that to happen the way its naturally supposed to.
                    Signature

                    Sal
                    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
                    Beyond the Path

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9231714].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                      it's why people hate diets. No matter how fancy you make them - or how sophisticated they appear to be....it still comes down to calories in and calories out.

                      The diet industry is much like the IM make money field. Everyone wants to believe "it works" yet few are willing to put in the effort to make it work.

                      Come to think of it - I don't care if 30% of the world is fat. I'm not - no one in my family is...so it's all good.
                      Signature
                      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

                      Sometimes the fear won't go away, so you'll have to do it afraid.
                      That's just the way it is.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9232727].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seasoned
        Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

        Sorry Joe but I simply can't figure out how the Middle East and any of Africa can have the highest proportion of obesity.

        Besides, that says they are 'heavy'.

        Heavy? That could be applied to anything that doesn't naturally float in the air.

        So, total of 30% - It says China and India combined have about 15%, America has 13% and the other 2% must be in North Africa and the Middle East, I assume, even though they apparently have the highest proportion.

        Where does the rest of the world fit in here, like the UK, the whole of Europe, Russia, Canada, Australia.....? Besides 2/3's of approx 70,000,000 population of Britain is about 46 million and that doesn't make a dent on all those obese people in Africa, the Middle East, China and India.

        Have I missed something here? No one bloody weighed me.
        Weighing a person is NEVER enough! In the US, schools used to weigh AND MEASURE HEIGHT of people. TWO men, 6'1"! One weighs 182, and another 235. WHICH is fat?

        182=24
        235=31

        OK, based on "BMI", the 235 pound one is OBESE! Never mind that he may have practically NO fat! And the 182 one could be bedridden and VERY fat.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9328397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ForumGuru
    Banned
    It's easy to see in the US.... Take a look around at any sporting event, shopping mall etc. and the picture becomes quite clear.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Daniel Evans is right. They have redefined "fat", and it nolonger has any meaning. If they say 30%, it is more likely 20% or less. And I guess they will now claim all "fat" people have plenty of food, and should give up what they have to the hungry. The FACT is that many fat people eat a lot of poorer quality foods that don't have a good nutritional makeup.

    Still, with BMI, and some tables, it is possible for a thin muscular person to come up as fat.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KingRoyal
    Eat tasty or look tasty..you decide
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229213].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ForumGuru
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Pink Tulips008 View Post

      Eat tasty or look tasty..you decide
      Well stated! Of course many would say you can eat healthy and stay tasty... :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Figuring out the rate of obesity in the US is NOT rocket science. How many Americans do you know that have no medical records? Weight is right there on the charts and those records can be compiled as long as they are compiled without information that allows identity to be retrieved from it. I'm not sure how many people see doctors in other countries, but weight records are not a problem in at least countries that aren't complete 3rd world. If a doctor is worth their salt there is also a fat ratio record kept. Fat ratio at any weight is a major health indicator.

    And - the results are that in the US, the average for states are one third overweight, and I don't remember the actual obesity rates, but they are high. Empirical evidence is all over the place - all you have to do is sit and watch a crowd and you'll see that the figures aren't that stacked - but the people are. When I was a kid it was rare to see someone so fat that you'd expect their knees to buckle - it's a frequent sight now.

    America is corn fed -- GMO corn -- and that means fat no matter how you stack it. Eating processed foods with mega chemicals guarantees weight gain (and health problems). Air conditioning and heating buildings to complete comfort = burning less fat to stay comfy. Sleep deprivation = no weight loss or gain. Inactivity is also a real problem.

    You can argue the results all you want, but fat is a huge health problem and costs more in medical than smoking (via all the health complications). If you're fat and tell me to stop smoking, you aren't going to like what you hear. At all.

    I know my fat ratio -- 14% when I'm underweight - 16% when I'm at normal weight. If you go to a doctor at all and don't know your fat ratio, I am just flabbergasted. Especially if you've had check ups for heart disease.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229692].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

      If you go to a doctor at all and don't know your fat ratio, I am just flabbergasted
      Okay, now that's funny, right there!



      .
      Signature
      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229707].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9229805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author javrsmith
    Kay is right: few people put in the effort to get/stay thin.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
    For dinner, I had a really good hamburger with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese.
    Signature

    "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Flowers
    I guess its okie to be fat
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BWHadam
    junk food, baker items, pizza, coke, pepsi, long sitting on internet , what do you think, it will make us thin? LOL!
    Signature

    Lowest Possible Price Servers- PawnHost.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      Originally Posted by BWHadam View Post

      junk food, baker items, pizza, coke, pepsi, long sitting on internet , what do you think, it will make us thin? LOL!
      Did it say in the article that that's the reason why the Middle East, China, India and North Africa are now some of the fattest in the world?

      As in they spend all day online eating junk food, baker items, pizzas, coke and pepsi?
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cindypark
    Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

    Includes everyone, everywhere. Two out of three adults in UK now obese. Yikes.

    30 percent of world is now fat, no country immune - SFGate
    stop eating fatty foods.or search more healthy foods.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Enfusia
      Being a lifetime natural bodybuilder 50 years old 5'9 220lbs with current body fat at 12 to 13% I'll tell you what I do.

      I don't diet I simply eat clean year round.

      I eat 5 to 6 small meals per day. These meals consist of;

      All foods are plain unless otherwise stated. By plain I mean no butter, salt, oils, condiments etc...

      Baked chicken thighs (I am not a breast fan, on chickens that is). Herb seasonings
      Lean ground beef, seasoned, drained of all oil after cooking.
      Fish all varieties baked with lemon and herbs.
      All lean cuts of beef, pork, alpaca, bison etc... seasoning yes, condiments no.

      mashed yams (no butter, no salt, no whatever).
      Brown rice.
      Buckwheat Kasha (no not cereal, cooked like rice)
      Oatmeal (yes, plain, no milk, sugar etc...)

      Chopped raw veggies of many varieties (no dressings etc).

      Raw almonds
      Raw pumpkin seeds
      Raw sunflower seeds

      Olive oil sparingly.

      Pure water

      This comprises the vast majority of my diet.

      I then do 3 days a week of high intensity weight training (each body part once per week).

      I then do 3 days of 1 hour and 45 min of cardio (speed walk 3min sprint 50 yards for the entire duration except the 1st 5 min of just walking to warm up and the last 5 min of cool down).

      I eat like this and train like this year round. I allow myself one bad meal of the junk everyone else is eating on Christmas, my wife and my daughters birthday, (not on my birthday, I want to celebrate life not attempt to kill myself).

      I don't drink.

      Once in a great while when friends are in town I have not seen in years etc... I'll have a meal with them of some garbage like having white potato or pasta.

      Other than that, nope.

      I hope that helps.

      Patrick
      Signature
      Free eBook =>
      The Secret To Success In Any Business
      Yes, Any Business!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9324333].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    I prefer to think of myself as "fluffy" rather than overweight.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9324353].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Did someone say fat?

    I'll have some please.

    With extra salt.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9324354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ameliabell
    It's easy to see in the US.... Take a look around at any sporting event
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325227].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      Originally Posted by ameliabell View Post

      It's easy to see in the US.... Take a look around at any sporting event
      Yes but what about the Middle East, China, India and North Africa?

      Don't you find that a trifle odd?
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9325229].message }}

Trending Topics