what does a good direct response website for contactors look like in 2015?

26 replies
Good examples appreciated!
#2015 #contactors #direct #good #response #website
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9991476].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hardyfella
      thanks Bob, I am guessing the combination of form and phone is ok for this type of work....whereas a response type service, ie pest control or drain blocking, the focus is on getting them to phone.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9992582].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by hardyfella View Post

        thanks Bob, I am guessing the combination of form and phone is ok for this type of work....whereas a response type service, ie pest control or drain blocking, the focus is on getting them to phone.
        Phone phone phone... there is a trick to this. and its called a form. gives people a choice and doesn't force an "only choice" You will have to test this on your site specifically but there are many case studies that show adding a form can and will increase phone contact.

        If you REALLY REALLY want the phone to ring.. make the form long and complicated. it creates friction in using it. ( but the choice is still there ) IE First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, City, E-mail Address. what would you do at that point? call right?

        I wrote an article on page conversion and #4 talks about this specifically: Tips for Conversion Rate Optimization On Your Website
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9992847].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

      @bob... I am really curious why you think this to be a good example?

      And to preface that question.. I can see why to some extent... but as I look at it from a CRO perspective not so much. The page is more suited for a Politician than a construction company that provides energy efficient products and installation.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9992926].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zoro
      Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

      Not sure why you call this a Direct Response website. To me it looks like a cool site full of great info and options, but It's not a DR website IMHO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9995432].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bob ross
        Originally Posted by zoro View Post

        Not sure why you call this a Direct Response website. To me it looks like a cool site full of great info and options, but It's not a DR website IMHO.
        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        @bob... I am really curious why you think this to be a good example?

        And to preface that question.. I can see why to some extent... but as I look at it from a CRO perspective not so much. The page is more suited for a Politician than a construction company that provides energy efficient products and installation.
        Power is one of the top five replacement contractors in the nation, they've gone from $100M to $300M in the last five years alone. Almost half their business comes from the internet (via their site and lead services).

        I think a lot of 'direct marketers' will think a contractors site needs to have blinking alarms and 'urgent' messages on them along with forms plastered right in front of your face everywhere in order to generate leads.

        Maybe if you're an emergency plumber or locksmith but not for most contractors. Someone looking to do a major project is often not ready right now, so urgency will just turn them off as it'll look like a 'sales' company. Look at power's website and you'll see lots of trusted authority associations, real testimonials, and a convenient 'get pricing now' option everywhere you go. The #1 thing on every person's mind is what the price for their home improvement will be, not "can I call them and get them out here now" like a lot of marketers believe.

        By luring them in with a simple "get pricing" option, followed by a form that looks like it will actually get them pricing without having to be pressured to buy something, results in lots of qualified leads (with a lot of information coming in as well).

        I think a lot of people today think that homeowners are searching for 'replacement windows in Tucson' and just trying to find the first site or two that comes up on Google so they can immediately call that company to come look at their dire situation.

        Most people searching are early in the buying process where they're collecting information and seeing what options are available out there. They're looking for contractors that look trustworthy, reputable, and affordable for their budget, not just whoever has a giant phone number and "click to call NOW" button along with scare tactics or buy NOW gimmicks.


        note: also... regarding power's site... the site built just as much to draw in prospective employee's (mostly canvassers and salespeople) as it is customers.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9995593].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author savidge4
          Bob... I get what you are saying. Lots of trust Associations Testimonials etc. I have actually done some work for a "local" ( not so local ) window company ( simonton.com ). back in late 2012 early 2013 ish I wasn't the principle designer but was brought in to help a bit with the information based materials. Looking back at it today.. boy there would be some changes I would make. BUT looking at the homepage there is no question what they are selling, and there is no question that information is available for that "Information" stage in the buying process.

          Looking at that site vs the example you gave is I think a bit of a contrast. They are financially separated a bit. Simonton is a bit larger I believe ( they are in the bottom end of the top 10 big boys ). They are basically reaching out to the same market ( customer wise, not geographic wise ) and using the same contractor based method of contact.

          Again if we call all things being some what equal, The ideals of not being in your face is present. The ideals of developing an extended "professional" sales base is there. The presents of information I think is more prevelant with Simonton. It comes back to that introductory impact... and I would say your example is a bit weak.

          But hey its working for them what can I say? lol

          Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

          Power is one of the top five replacement contractors in the nation, they've gone from $100M to $300M in the last five years alone. Almost half their business comes from the internet (via their site and lead services).

          I think a lot of 'direct marketers' will think a contractors site needs to have blinking alarms and 'urgent' messages on them along with forms plastered right in front of your face everywhere in order to generate leads.

          Maybe if you're an emergency plumber or locksmith but not for most contractors. Someone looking to do a major project is often not ready right now, so urgency will just turn them off as it'll look like a 'sales' company. Look at power's website and you'll see lots of trusted authority associations, real testimonials, and a convenient 'get pricing now' option everywhere you go. The #1 thing on every person's mind is what the price for their home improvement will be, not "can I call them and get them out here now" like a lot of marketers believe.

          By luring them in with a simple "get pricing" option, followed by a form that looks like it will actually get them pricing without having to be pressured to buy something, results in lots of qualified leads (with a lot of information coming in as well).

          I think a lot of people today think that homeowners are searching for 'replacement windows in Tucson' and just trying to find the first site or two that comes up on Google so they can immediately call that company to come look at their dire situation.

          Most people searching are early in the buying process where they're collecting information and seeing what options are available out there. They're looking for contractors that look trustworthy, reputable, and affordable for their budget, not just whoever has a giant phone number and "click to call NOW" button along with scare tactics or buy NOW gimmicks.


          note: also... regarding power's site... the site built just as much to draw in prospective employee's (mostly canvassers and salespeople) as it is customers.
          Signature
          Success is an ACT not an idea
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9995839].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
          Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

          I think a lot of 'direct marketers' will think a contractors site needs to have blinking alarms and 'urgent' messages on them along with forms plastered right in front of your face everywhere in order to generate leads.

          Maybe if you're an emergency plumber or locksmith but not for most contractors. Someone looking to do a major project is often not ready right now, so urgency will just turn them off as it'll look like a 'sales' company. Look at power's website and you'll see lots of trusted authority associations, real testimonials, and a convenient 'get pricing now' option everywhere you go. The #1 thing on every person's mind is what the price for their home improvement will be, not "can I call them and get them out here now" like a lot of marketers believe.

          By luring them in with a simple "get pricing" option, followed by a form that looks like it will actually get them pricing without having to be pressured to buy something, results in lots of qualified leads (with a lot of information coming in as well).

          I think a lot of people today think that homeowners are searching for 'replacement windows in Tucson' and just trying to find the first site or two that comes up on Google so they can immediately call that company to come look at their dire situation.

          Most people searching are early in the buying process where they're collecting information and seeing what options are available out there. They're looking for contractors that look trustworthy, reputable, and affordable for their budget, not just whoever has a giant phone number and "click to call NOW" button along with scare tactics or buy NOW gimmicks.


          note: also... regarding power's site... the site built just as much to draw in prospective employee's (mostly canvassers and salespeople) as it is customers.
          This is one area many businesses fail to recognise and I'm writing a study and training on it presently.

          Most people think of conversion rate optimisation as getting response immediately and measuring that response in some way.

          I do think a little differently on this which I'll share in a minute.

          The long form - More phone calls...

          Phone phone phone... there is a trick to this. and its called a form. gives people a choice and doesn't force an "only choice" You will have to test this on your site specifically but there are many case studies that show adding a form can and will increase phone contact.

          If you REALLY REALLY want the phone to ring.. make the form long and complicated. it creates friction in using it. ( but the choice is still there ) IE First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, City, E-mail Address. what would you do at that point? call right?
          This a valid point but I use long segmented or multipart forms that seem short to get prospects to start filling them in because then I can collect data even if they abandon the full process.

          You can gather a lot of data if you start with "What problem are you trying to solve?"

          "When do you need to resolve this problem?" - Now, In the next week or so?...next 6 months etc.

          Yes you may get more phone calls if you plop a long form in someone's face but we get plenty of both form submits, phone calls and data from actions people take.

          I have a few theories that I'm working on and I've sort of coined them as "Game Theory Formula"

          Most of the design work, testing sites, outcomes you want to achieve for whatever site or business you are trying to promote revolves around getting the 100% of visitors to take some sort of action.

          Now you may measure various actions or responses as conversions but what each aspect of any page or website whether the designer or business understands it or not is to dissect and direct the visitor to the outcome they seek...(Think Google)

          Now if the site is trying to attract clients and staff that is ok.

          if they are tying to get various outcomes that is OK.

          What needs to be understood is that each person on the site is part of the "game" and when you understand where that person is going and at what stage they are at and what the outcome you eventually wish to achieve with that person then you can design the processes.

          People often talk of design and split testing and so on and I'm not against those things because they make a huge difference to user experience and therefore affect outcomes.

          My interest is in the psychological and mathematical approach to taking that 100% of traffic and turning say 15% into an immediate opt-in, 10% to an immediate phone call, 30% engaging in some meaningful way (playing the game) the other 45% giving me some useful data even if they leave and then cookie-ing all of them so I can do further follow-up marketing.

          Then the real challenge of conversion starts when you design various "games" for prospects to "play"

          There are multiple ways for businesses to win and we always talk about win-win...but really mathematically there must be a loser and you "hope" that the loser will be your competition.

          When you start to take an analytical approach to what you want to achieve you can make components that function to convert those segments.

          I'd suggest that looking at examples and studying what is working is great but becoming the designer of the system that works for you is the real key as you cannot always see the working parts behind what appears to be "Good" on the surface for another business.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9996168].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Freebiequeen1999
    Oh Hi Bob Ross - off topic but I got a 9x12 in my mailbox today haha...have not seen u around here in a bit, I started another thread on this

    as for a service biz website...IMHO make it easy to contact them several ways
    I have a pet peeve on sites that are hard to find how to get info
    Yeah, maybe for an artistic site o a fashion site but when I want a plumber I want the info, hours,
    and how to reach them right there.....a coupon or an "online special" also motivates me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9996833].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      A BIG point most overlook when holding up
      a website as the cause of a company's success,
      are other factors.

      They include...

      using other media to advertise

      how much preselling has taken place
      before the prospects hit the website.

      If you look at Neil Patel's website for traffic,
      people here in the past got all excited and
      wanted to replicate parts of it.

      Yet he has spoken at conferences, been a featured
      guest on podcasts, has had articles over the web.

      All have created him as a authority positioning
      before people get to his website.

      That's the reason cheap knock-off artists fail
      because they miss the 'hidden' parts of the moving
      parts.

      Best,
      Doctor E. Vile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9996868].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Lessard
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        A BIG point most overlook when holding up
        a website as the cause of a company's success,
        are other factors.

        They include...

        using other media to advertise

        how much preselling has taken place
        before the prospects hit the website.

        If you look at Neil Patel's website for traffic,
        people here in the past got all excited and
        wanted to replicate parts of it.

        Yet he has spoken at conferences, been a featured
        guest on podcasts, has had articles over the web.

        All have created him as a authority positioning
        before people get to his website.

        That's the reason cheap knock-off artists fail
        because they miss the 'hidden' parts of the moving
        parts.

        Best,
        Doctor E. Vile
        Funny I was going to chime in with something similar.
        If someone said to me what does a great contractor site or frankly site in any niche look like I would say "It depends on them, their ideal market and dozens of factors that relate to the site but may not be obvious"

        To put that in perspective someone trying to sell an IM product could have the best site and hardly make any sales. Then a marketing giant could put up a crap one pager and sell 10k daily.

        That is why marketing systems need to be taken as a whole.
        How often do we say companies floundering that are doing radio, print, web but nobody is in charge of the big picture and making them all work together.
        Signature
        Ready to generate the next million in sales? The Next Million Agency
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9996939].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Originally Posted by Peter Lessard View Post

          Funny I was going to chime in with something similar.
          If someone said to me what does a great contractor site or frankly site in any niche look like I would say "It depends on them, their ideal market and dozens of factors that relate to the site but may not be obvious"

          To put that in perspective someone trying to sell an IM product could have the best site and hardly make any sales. Then a marketing giant could put up a crap one pager and sell 10k daily.

          That is why marketing systems need to be taken as a whole.
          How often do we say companies floundering that are doing radio, print, web but nobody is in charge of the big picture and making them all work together.
          This also illustrates how we've upgraded their thinking
          and their buying criteria.

          Done in a way so that they don't make a costly mistake.

          Wonder if anybody else has noticed it?

          Best,
          Doctor E. Vile
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997020].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Freebiequeen1999
          Originally Posted by Peter Lessard View Post

          Funny I was going to chime in with something similar.
          If someone said to me what does a great contractor site or frankly site in any niche look like I would say "It depends on them, their ideal market and dozens of factors that relate to the site but may not be obvious"

          To put that in perspective someone trying to sell an IM product could have the best site and hardly make any sales. Then a marketing giant could put up a crap one pager and sell 10k daily.

          That is why marketing systems need to be taken as a whole.
          How often do we say companies floundering that are doing radio, print, web but nobody is in charge of the big picture and making them all work together.
          Very true

          Also....no matter how good the website, the ads etc are....the company may have it's own internal problems.

          A website (ad, social media, mobile campaign etc) may bring in leads...but the company itself may screw it up....especially the "front line"

          Some cut corners and have incompetant or uninterested people answering the phone, lose the lead. Salesmen with a poor attitude - lose the lead
          and yeah....a poor product, a poor (deserved) reputation, overpriced and not much value, bad customer service and so forth

          The internet is full of "great" sites, full of promise, that the owner didn't even bother to take down when he went out of business, I guess domain and hosting were prepaid s there they are like a boulevard of broken dreams
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997048].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        This is the stuff that keeps me up at night. It keeps me going during the day. It drives me to greater education and understanding, so that my success for my clients and myself only increases. Understanding this aspect of marketing both offline and online as I see it... well its the holy grail, its the silver bullet, its like planting a money tree in your back yard!

        Lets for a moment look at an offline example of Direct Response Marketing. Conveniently we have a great example here: http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...t-mailing.html Even the title of the thread says it all. The guest test... aside from its obvious targeting ( smart ) there are 7 points in the checklist. that is 7 points or opportunities to connect with a single one potential prospect. ( a quick side note here - I would love to see this ad split test with a brunette female image. It may sound like splitting hairs - pun not intended - but let me ask you one quick question... how many blonde Victoria Secret models are there? )

        Replicating this on a website would be an absolute nightmare. A single one off landing page sure, I can see that. but developing that kind of depth on say a homepage.. well its not so easy. The points are so diversified, that an attempt to identify each and separate the traffic flow would end up a convoluted mess at best.

        The question then becomes "how do you pull this off?"

        Before I go any further here, I am going to share ( again ) an equation I use A LOT! ( Im not so much sharing here as a methodology as I am clarifying the terms I use so there is no misunderstanding in what I am saying )

        C = 4M + 3V + 2( I + F ) + 2A
        • C = Conversion
        • M = Motivation
        • V = Value
        • I = Incentive
        • F = Friction
        • A = Anxiety
        The moment we move the above example to an online environment there are some things that change. The primary and probably most important is the obviously the method of delivery. The not so obvious is something we can label as "Traffic". By Ewen sending those cards out to I would suspect an older more high end neighborhood, he is banking on 1 of the 7 messages resonating with the reader of the card. - the message would have little to no effect if for example, he would send them to a newly developed community.

        The card is consolidating the 3 phases of a purchase ( Information, Comparison, and Buying ) if the reader is any of those 3 categories the direct response kicks in and... they call or in this case go to the site for more details ( glenbuild.co.nz ). The site by itself... well its not so good. BUT.. throw in the advertising piece.. All of the sudden the "Award Winning Builders" and the "Our Guarantee" pop out. The awards are knocking back any Anxiety, and the Guarantee is increasing Value, Motivation, Incentive, and decreasing Friction.

        When we start breaking down the three phases of traffic each one is very distinct in the way that we communicate to the prospective client. In an ideal world it would be great to move traffic over a page that is informational. then progress them to comparison, and then obviously closing the deal. well we all know that does not happen.

        So we have to start creating landers in each of those three phases. So lets now step into the example that was given in this thread. We are going to market a home remodeler that specializes in Siding, Windows, and Doors. The obvious lander are 1 for each + insert city, easy enough. but the direct response mailer piece went further than that... It suggested and targeted PAIN ( kids under your feet? )

        So we would then need to do the same thing right? - more landers. "How much Money can replacing windows save me a year" kinda sounds cheesy right? well if you happen to Google that.. there are 126 million matching pages. And if we start looking at where in the buying phase that question would place that potential prospect. We can see we have targeted the Motivation. but wait a minute.. they are wanting information right? well that puts this prospect in the beginning of the buying cycle.. can you say funnel?

        Throw in some information.. add an opt-in for further information... AND link to the next phase, Comparison and then get them of to buying.

        Looking at the term "replacement window reviews" we see there are 141 million matching pages... ( terms like Best and Ratings and Reviews are most common ) this time around we dont want to offer "information" we want to fulfill the comparison portion of the buy cycle. we want to increase or brands value, and separate our product / service from the rest. and start pushing the sale. Again we have yet another funnel. what gets a bit interesting here is sometimes there is a need for a bit more information.

        there are 2 choices here.. dropping them in to the information based funnel, or simply providing a side page with needed information. I personally use the later. I am a big believer in keeping funnels separate. knowing when and from where a prospect enters and leaves is pretty key in tracking success and failure of pages!

        The last phase.. the buying phase. terms like "Discount windows" come into play. 176 million matching pages this time. this is where you are getting to the down and dirty.. colors, and Single and double, inserts etc. ( this type of information would have also been covered in the information stage - but in greater length ) a quick guide here on all of the options is good.

        There is a quiet little pattern that has appeared in this. Look at the number of page matches between the 3 stages. you will see they incrementally increase the closer you get to the buying stage. This is a pattern that holds true not just in windows, but most other niches products and services alike.

        Across more than a few sites I have over the years found another interesting pattern. your percentage of buyers are greater in those that have been to your site more than once, than those that are 1st visitors. That old adage "A client must hear / see your message 7 times..." It kinda rings true. there are some recent studies being released that are suggesting that number is increasing to 11. This is suspected due to the volume of messages being seen in "Todays World" by prospective buyers

        Basically the sooner you can start targeting and segregating traffic into defined funnels the better off you are. The standard Online marketer is going to target the "buyer words", and I think that is great in theory but not so well advised. I would rather step in when competition is less. get my USP injected into the minds of as many prospects as possible. hopefully educate them well enough, I stand in their mind. As the progress through the 3 levels.. I am hoping they are landing on my pages again and again.

        Once you have someone anywhere in our funnel you KNOW the Motivation is where it needs to be..its then a matter of developing the Value and introducing incentive while reducing friction and anxiety in purchasing from you!

        Hope that Helps!
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997246].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          [QUOTE=savidge4;9997246]This is the stuff that keeps me up at night. It keeps me going during the day. It drives me to greater education and understanding, so that my success for my clients and myself only increases. Understanding this aspect of marketing both offline and online as I see it... well its the holy grail, its the silver bullet, its like planting a money tree in your back yard!

          Lets for a moment look at an offline example of Direct Response Marketing. Conveniently we have a great example here: http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...t-mailing.html Even the title of the thread says it all. The guest test... aside from its obvious targeting ( smart ) there are 7 points in the checklist. that is 7 points or opportunities to connect with a single one potential prospect.

          Replicating this on a website would be an absolute nightmare.
          The question then becomes "how do you pull this off?".

          /QUOTE]

          That's an oldie, but goodie.

          I would now look at the call to action to it's own
          landing page, since there are 12 free designer
          sessions available with a quote.

          Have the lander repeat the main points on the
          postcard, add a video of owner introducing himself and
          what he stands for, authority seals, and a booking
          calander.

          In smaller print at bottom would have company name,
          address, phone number, privacy policy and terms of service.

          Now we have a direct response web page that is the natural
          next step from the postcard campaign, as shown.

          Best,
          Doctor E. Vile
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997347].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author savidge4
            Absolutly.. Yes, you are dead on correct... It would be smashing to say the least!


            BUT what happens when take the mailer out of the equation to initialize the campaign.. and all of this is left is ONLINE? I would say that the page left unto itself would be lacking... ( not as much as the page that your mailer went to the first time around )

            Web traffic can be targeted, but its not as targeted as that mailer was I am sure. Its not just hitting more mature high dollar residents... its hitting any and everyone. and the portion of "pre-qualification" is all the sudden gone.

            You would be jumping the gun on client contact... and the client is going to say "these leads suck...they cant afford my services/ product"

            Sure we can say..aww they just aren't communicating correctly etc. but then we go in and listen to the calls ( maybe ) and we then say well... "you could have done this and that."

            But in say your case... the client had well targeted well pre-qualified candidates and closed the crud out of them. ( to have spent $84 and got 3 closes... ) I am thinking the mailer was somewhere in the 100 - ish range. so they closed a SOLID single digit percentage. - and I would bet the number is probably even a bit higher. you could confirm address matches ( I am guessing ) but the possibility of close proximity referral with that particular piece would probably be pretty high.

            Left to its own devices.. the website produces what? I would say it is costing that business owner money every year and not returning a darn thing! lol


            In the ONLINE space the secret is in the "Pre-Qualifying" Getting clients into a funnel that informs, separates your product / service from the rest, and then sells it. ( I call the ISS Informs Separates Sells )


            And OFFLINE its the exact same thing... and the transferring from Offline to Online again the same, and usually better than online only.


            [quote=ewenmack;9997347]
            Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

            This is the stuff that keeps me up at night. It keeps me going during the day. It drives me to greater education and understanding, so that my success for my clients and myself only increases. Understanding this aspect of marketing both offline and online as I see it... well its the holy grail, its the silver bullet, its like planting a money tree in your back yard!

            Lets for a moment look at an offline example of Direct Response Marketing. Conveniently we have a great example here: http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...t-mailing.html Even the title of the thread says it all. The guest test... aside from its obvious targeting ( smart ) there are 7 points in the checklist. that is 7 points or opportunities to connect with a single one potential prospect.

            Replicating this on a website would be an absolute nightmare.
            The question then becomes "how do you pull this off?".

            /QUOTE]

            That's an oldie, but goodie.

            I would now look at the call to action to it's own
            landing page, since there are 12 free designer
            sessions available with a quote.

            Have the lander repeat the main points on the
            postcard, add a video of owner introducing himself and
            what he stands for, authority seals, and a booking
            calander.

            In smaller print at bottom would have company name,
            address, phone number, privacy policy and terms of service.

            Now we have a direct response web page that is the natural
            next step from the postcard campaign, as shown.

            Best,
            Doctor E. Vile
            Signature
            Success is an ACT not an idea
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997376].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
              Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

              Absolutly.. Yes, you are dead on correct... It would be smashing to say the least!


              BUT what happens when take the mailer out of the equation to initialize the campaign.. and all of this is left is ONLINE? I would say that the page left unto itself would be lacking... ( not as much as the page that your mailer went to the first time around )

              ]
              I know the owner of what I can confidently say is the
              fastest growing home cleaning company in NZ.

              He has a free mystery gift on the first clean.
              This is made clear on the website.

              You click on that offer and you go to a new page.

              There you are pixeled from Adroll.

              Now I see his ad in my email for that incentivized offer.

              He always creates incentivized offers
              and has their own pages for them.

              I won't link to his site because it will only mess
              with his tracking numbers.

              Best,
              Doctor E. Vile
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997383].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                Again.. absolutely agree with this. I personally don't use adroll type campaigns to much ( I do for certain clients ) but again.. very effective. and very targeted. but let me ask you this... how many pain points are targeted on that Home Cleaning companies site, is it 1 or 2 or is it 7 like your mailer piece?

                Ill just say its one for the sake of discussion. One pain is only targeting 14% of the pain that the printed piece is. Sounds decent enough.. but that is 86% less effective than the mailer. Looking at it that way makes you take a step back no? this basically takes what I am assuming a 3% close rate with a mailer to somewhere in the .42% range ( I know its not that low - but just figuring the math apples to apples )

                My overall design and development principle... I develop sites kind a differently. Old school if you like. I have what I still call an "index page" Its a home page basically. yoursite.com goes to that page. In most cases they are a USP.. a video or strong image and 3 options. At this point even the navigation is stepped back. ( A site that I am currently working on... uploadwp.com/premium - and again I am STILL working on this page. )

                you go there to a index page. There is a video, and 3 options. ( again still working on it so things have place holders ) you then will see navigation for "Home". click on that.. it doesn't keep you on THAT page it sends you to another page. You will notice here that there is now an additional top navigation bar that drops into place. The "Home" page through out the site IS the home page. the only way to get to the index page is by typing in the URL, it is no where connected to the inside of the site.

                I personally don't think traditional "Home" pages ( unless you are seeking "Now" result type leads ) should SELL. I firmly believe in 1 Page 1 Purpose... and a homepage is there to maybe provide some very basic content and information and create that click to the next level ( reducing my bounce rate to low digits - keep in mind I am an SEO guy... so every little aspect of an algorithm I can gain favor, I will )

                I prefer to directly target each of those 7 pain points from the perspective of the 3 layers of buying I outlined earlier ( ISS ) so 7 pain points and 3 funnel options would be 21 total targeted landers. - A hell of a lot of work... but in the long run... well if you cant see the potential, I don't know what to tell you lol

                So that's where I am coming from. I wont by any means say it is the "Best" strategy, but I will tell you thatit does work, and tends to work well!

                Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                I know the owner of what I can confidently say is the
                fastest growing home cleaning company in NZ.

                He has a free mystery gift on the first clean.
                This is made clear on the website.

                You click on that offer and you go to a new page.

                There you are pixeled from Adroll.

                Now I see his ad in my email for that incentivized offer.

                He always creates incentivized offers
                and has their own pages for them.

                I won't link to his site because it will only mess
                with his tracking numbers.

                Best,
                Doctor E. Vile
                Signature
                Success is an ACT not an idea
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997405].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                  Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

                  Again.. absolutely
                  He has identified one common theme from his
                  best clients, so he stays with only that.

                  Clients talking candidly on video talk about
                  this prime motivator.

                  Obviously this simplifies website layout and messaging
                  for him.

                  However, for testing and measuring,
                  he will always have a incentivized offer
                  with it's own page for remarketing.

                  Best,
                  Doctor E. Vile
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997424].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                    First off Ewen...I don't want you to think I am hounding you for an answer... Im just making myself feel better for my process! But I am also trying to show the contrast of what happens with offline pieces vs online, and what the effort is to create an equal message.

                    If we go back and look at the "original" printed piece... there are 7 Pain Points:
                    1. Are your kids getting under your feet?
                    2. Do you have enough space for family dinners?
                    3. Are you happy to greet guest at the door?
                    4. Does your home have a good indoor / outdoor flow?
                    5. Is entertaining in your kitchen hard work?
                    6. Are you embarrassed when guest want to use your bathroom?
                    7. Does your home feel cluttered?
                    Each and every one of these is a separate pain point. 1 and 7 come close to being the same but can be taken completely different in context.

                    How effective would that mailer have been if it only targeted "Are your kids getting under your feet?"?

                    So lets stay a bit on topic but get away from landers and mailers etc. I go to the hardware store. I want to buy a hammer... I need to put a nail in a piece of wood.. easy enough. I get there and guess what? there are 40 different kinds of hammers! WHAT??!?! I just want to put a nail in a piece of wood.

                    As specialized a marketing message can be... so can a hammer.

                    I want to look for a contractor to do a remodel... "Oh.. they specialize in remodels of homes with kids" and they keep going. OR "they specialize in dining rooms" OR "They Specialize in Bathrooms"

                    What makes THAT mailer such an iconic piece... its reach. it crossed 7 pain points. It multiplied its message 7x to reach the right person at the right time. - It induced the tipping point for 3 people.

                    You take away all the marketing and advertising and just have a page... most pages will never do that. As successful as your cleaning guy is... he could in theory be 7x more successful if he reached across 7 pain points.
                    Signature
                    Success is an ACT not an idea
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997459].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post


                      If we go back and look at the "original" printed piece... there are 7 Pain Points:
                      1. Are your kids getting under your feet?
                      2. Do you have enough space for family dinners?
                      3. Are you happy to greet guest at the door?
                      4. Does your home have a good indoor / outdoor flow?
                      5. Is entertaining in your kitchen hard work?
                      6. Are you embarrassed when guest want to use your bathroom?
                      7. Does your home feel cluttered?
                      I've added the postcard example below so others
                      know what we are talking about.

                      We still could make a case for one overriding theme
                      from those 7 points, and that is embarrassed to have
                      guests over because of any of those 7 causes.

                      They feel (embarassed) first and want that feeling to go away.

                      The guest test headline calls out that embarrassment
                      first.



                      Best,
                      Doctor E. Vile
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997503].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                        Here is where things get interesting. Lets say you want to run a Facebook ad campaign.

                        Ad #1 embarrassed to have guests over to your house? An image of a brunette and the hand written portion of the original card with a CTA click here for more information. and then send that off to a landing page.

                        Ad #2 Ladies - Does your home pass the guest test? Insert the guest test, and the hand written section. This time the lander is a pop up questionnaire. Which one do you find most embarrassing? 1 thru 7. once they make their selection and click submit, they are transferred to a page / funnel that is directly targeted to their pain.

                        Which would produce a better targeted redirect campaign? Which would more than likely produce better results?

                        I understand easy... I prefer easy... KISS is a standard motto... but there is nothing easy about getting good to better consistant results with online marketing! ( IMO )

                        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                        I've added the postcard example below so others
                        know what we are talking about.

                        We still could make a case for one overriding theme
                        from those 7 points, and that is embarrassed to have
                        guests over because of any of those 7 causes.

                        They feel (embarassed) first and want that feeling to go away.

                        The guest test headline calls out that embarrassment
                        first.


                        Best,
                        Doctor E. Vile
                        Signature
                        Success is an ACT not an idea
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997516].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                          Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

                          Here is where things get interesting. Lets say you want to run a Facebook ad campaign.

                          Ad #1 embarrassed to have guests over to your house? An image of a brunette and the hand written portion of the original card with a CTA click here for more information. and then send that off to a landing page.

                          Ad #2 Ladies - Does your home pass the guest test? Insert the guest test, and the hand written section. This time the lander is a pop up questionnaire. Which one do you find most embarrassing? 1 thru 7. once they make their selection and click submit, they are transferred to a page / funnel that is directly targeted to their pain.

                          Which would produce a better targeted redirect campaign? Which would more than likely produce better results?
                          I can see the guest test getting more clicks from the Facebook ad
                          due to curiosity and interactive..

                          Have a blurred image of the test as the ad image.

                          Much more likely to get many more unqualified
                          people coming in which would need more steps to filter them out.

                          Best,
                          Doctor E. Vile
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9997553].message }}

Trending Topics