Who's using Adwords to attract new clients to their business?

16 replies
Lately, my main offer to clients has become Adwords and have been having great success with that.

So just a couple of weeks ago, I created a brand new website for my business and thought carefully about copy and how everything was structured because I wanted to start attracting my own clients using Adwords.

Obviously, this is a different proposition than it is with doing it for clients as the CPC is much higher than your average business service.

In the UK you're looking at around £5-£9 per click, which is high, however I am confident that even at that level, there is still money to be made.

I've spent £100 so far, zero response and I'm committed to spending £500 over the next week or two. I'm hoping that should get me a handful of enquiries which, even if I get one close, I'll be very happy.

Who else here runs PPC ads for their local business?

As well as running Adwords I'm a big advertiser on Facebook for my own business (well, big spending to me, probably tiny in their eyes) and the ROI here has been fantastic but I've run out of audience in the UK (or at least, the audiences that were responding best to me have fatigued)

The thing I love about Adwords is that there's always fresh leads coming to the table every day, looking for services.

Who else is running Adwords for lead gen in the their own business? Would be interested to hear about what results you're seeing and the CPC etc.
#adwords #attract #business #clients
  • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
    Originally Posted by PositiveVibe View Post

    Lately, my main offer to clients has become Adwords...

    In the UK you're looking at around £5-£9 per click, which is high, however I am confident that even at that level, there is still money to be made.

    Who else here runs PPC ads for their local business?

    Who else is running Adwords for lead gen in the their own business? Would be interested to hear about what results you're seeing and the CPC etc.
    Thanks for your post.

    First If you want to learn about PPC either get training from Perry Marshall or join Mike Rhodes Web Savvy - PPC Savvy

    Did you know you can bid to $999.99 per click??

    Now I don't know your niche and I don't know your business but I have clients who pay high CPC because they don't do some things that can bring that down.

    There is so much to this topic but I couldn't share it all right now.

    I have some pretty heavy spends on G PPC and manage far more of "other people's money" and there is a lot you can work on.

    Do you know about linking analytics and adwords?

    Do you know about how you can modify reports so you can see "minimum first page bids" and "Top of page bids?"

    this alone may save you a ton of money.

    Are you using Extensions?

    Call tracking?

    Do you use Custom scripts like those from feFree AdWords Scripts.com??

    The biggest thing in any PPC is as long as you are profitable you can scale.

    That's enough for now...

    thoughts?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10003980].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by Oziboomer View Post

      Thanks for your post.

      First If you want to learn about PPC either get training from Perry Marshall or join Mike Rhodes Web Savvy - PPC Savvy

      Cool, will look for some training materials from these guys

      Did you know you can bid to $999.99 per click??

      Yep

      Now I don't know your niche and I don't know your business but I have clients who pay high CPC because they don't do some things that can bring that down.

      There is so much to this topic but I couldn't share it all right now.

      I have some pretty heavy spends on G PPC and manage far more of "other people's money" and there is a lot you can work on.

      Do you know about linking analytics and adwords?

      Yep

      Do you know about how you can modify reports so you can see "minimum first page bids" and "Top of page bids?"

      No, this is of interest, please elaborate

      this alone may save you a ton of money.

      Are you using Extensions?

      Yep

      Call tracking?

      Yep

      Do you use Custom scripts like those from feFree AdWords Scripts.com??

      Nope, thanks for the tip will check it out

      The biggest thing in any PPC is as long as you are profitable you can scale.

      That's enough for now...

      thoughts?
      Answered the questions above.

      I've been running Adwords successfully for local clients for years, but that's easy. The competition for web design and related online marketing stuff is huge in the UK and CPC throughout the country tends to be around £5-£9 as discussed.

      It's all about ROI tho, and I'm confident even at that price point the ROI will be there.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10005518].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
        Originally Posted by StrategicCheetah View Post

        Answered the questions above.

        I've been running Adwords successfully for local clients for years, but that's easy. The competition for web design and related online marketing stuff is huge in the UK and CPC throughout the country tends to be around £5-£9 as discussed.

        It's all about ROI tho, and I'm confident even at that price point the ROI will be there.
        You use the word "will" ...be there...

        If the ROI IS there then it just a matter of scaling up not speculating whether there is a market.

        What on earth are you trying to sell that's costing £9 a click? I promote a technology solution in the UK to businesses of all sizes, I get around 10% conversion rate from Adwords from click to enquiry. 50% of those leads are junk, but I only need one whale to make it completely worth it forever potentially. Needless to say Adwords is our most profitable source of leads, with B2B email marketing coming in close too. I'm paying around £1.50 a click, this is in a space with ruthless competition.
        Click are not conversions.

        I have clients bidding $200 plus per click...you might say insane....

        ...but they know their conversion rates (not just click to enquiry but click to sale) and as long as their ROI is positive then the CPC doesn't make a significant difference as long as they dominate and profit.

        They know the significant effect of increasing their company value through being in position "ONE" at the expense of their competition.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10006259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J50
    What on earth are you trying to sell that's costing £9 a click? I promote a technology solution in the UK to businesses of all sizes, I get around 10% conversion rate from Adwords from click to enquiry. 50% of those leads are junk, but I only need one whale to make it completely worth it forever potentially. Needless to say Adwords is our most profitable source of leads, with B2B email marketing coming in close too. I'm paying around £1.50 a click, this is in a space with ruthless competition.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10004681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xlfutur1
    I've recently been testing video ads on youtube for a client of mine. I've been getting .02 cents per view and 8-10 clicks per day at a cost of about 50 cents per click. I could get more but its a test and my budget is only $10/day.

    This is in the legal niche and I am only targeting a small city. I'm amazed at how cheap it is right now to run youtube video ads. If I was on Adwords I'd be paying $10-20 per click maybe more. Don't rule out youtube video ads. The targeting options are getting really good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10016805].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by xlfutur1 View Post

      I've recently been testing video ads on youtube for a client of mine. I've been getting .02 cents per view and 8-10 clicks per day at a cost of about 50 cents per click. I could get more but its a test and my budget is only $10/day.

      This is in the legal niche and I am only targeting a small city. I'm amazed at how cheap it is right now to run youtube video ads. If I was on Adwords I'd be paying $10-20 per click maybe more. Don't rule out youtube video ads. The targeting options are getting really good.
      Awesome. What strategy are you using? I was learning about advertising on specific videos with Youtube recently, which seemed interesting. Would be interested to hear more.

      Regarding my OP, I've just had my first enquiry via Adwords after spending £120ish.

      The lead is a huge crew business here in Glasgow who want optimisation and I'm speaking to them again tomorrow to get a meeting arranged.

      It could potentially be a very big contract, but alternatively, it might turn out to be nothing, will have to wait and see.

      But I'd be happy paying £100 per lead in this way because I know I'll close at least 1 in 3 if not better.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10017643].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author xlfutur1
        Originally Posted by StrategicCheetah View Post

        Awesome. What strategy are you using? I was learning about advertising on specific videos with Youtube recently, which seemed interesting. Would be interested to hear more.

        Regarding my OP, I've just had my first enquiry via Adwords after spending £120ish.

        The lead is a huge crew business here in Glasgow who want optimisation and I'm speaking to them again tomorrow to get a meeting arranged.

        It could potentially be a very big contract, but alternatively, it might turn out to be nothing, will have to wait and see.

        But I'd be happy paying £100 per lead in this way because I know I'll close at least 1 in 3 if not better.
        for the test, I simply took a video that I ranked for my keywords and is in use on the website. I had no idea what would happen and even if the video would be shown at all. the video is a little over a minute and over 20% watched it all the way through. Over 60% watched 50% of the video or more. I'm meeting with the client next week to discuss strategy.

        There seem to be alot of possibilities with youtube video ads. Because you can target at anytime of the day and any specific location, I was thinking that a restaurant could build an SMS list by running a video offering a coupon for that specific day. run the video ad from 3-6PM and have viewers text in to get the special coupon sent to their phone.

        A mouth watering dish shown at 5PM, combined with a 2 for 1 deal or whatever is bound to get some people to take advantage of the offer. Everyone watching the ad is either on their phone or has it in their pocket.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10018280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    Considering the costs involved, have you tried Facebook ads instead? PPC is very dicey if you don't pick the right keywords with the RIGHT INTENT. Intent is the key to PPC success.
    Signature

    Build Your Passive Income Empire the SMART WAY
    Pay less / Earn More / Start Earning Faster
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10016900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author massiveray
    First off, yo, I'm your competition.

    I've never paid that much for a click and I have a very efficient funnel that sells adwords management specifically, the key thing to remember is that, if people are actually clicking your ads, then the problem is your landing page and how it converts those clicks into clients.

    Also don't forget that most people who google stuff in our industry are taking down 10-15 names and comparing them before they hire, you know how you beat this? By remarketing to them, make what you do irresistible to them and put it in their face as many times as you can while they are shopping around, I use adwords and perfect audience for this, Facebook is completely ineffective it seems.

    The beauty of this is that if they find you rough ads and retargeting, you have proved that you can do the job already, without even showing them a case study (which you should do at some point).

    It's also worth considering that I pay almost £390 for a conversion, but on a service that costs £500 a month with an average customer lifespan of 6 months, I'd happily pay a shit load more.

    Obviously I'm not going to post what I do and my strategy here, and create 10 new competitions overnight but I guarantee it's not something that you are doing.

    If you'd like to discuss it feel free to add me on Skype, always happy to talk to people in the industry who are having success.
    Signature

    Join my private strategy group on Facebook or find out how I made £2000 recurring in 2 weeks.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10019147].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by massiveray View Post

      First off, yo, I'm your competition.

      I've never paid that much for a click and I have a very efficient funnel that sells adwords management specifically, the key thing to remember is that, if people are actually clicking your ads, then the problem is your landing page and how it converts those clicks into clients.

      Also don't forget that most people who google stuff in our industry are taking down 10-15 names and comparing them before they hire, you know how you beat this? By remarketing to them, make what you do irresistible to them and put it in their face as many times as you can while they are shopping around, I use adwords and perfect audience for this, Facebook is completely ineffective it seems.

      The beauty of this is that if they find you rough ads and retargeting, you have proved that you can do the job already, without even showing them a case study (which you should do at some point).

      It's also worth considering that I pay almost £390 for a conversion, but on a service that costs £500 a month with an average customer lifespan of 6 months, I'd happily pay a shit load more.

      Obviously I'm not going to post what I do and my strategy here, and create 10 new competitions overnight but I guarantee it's not something that you are doing.

      If you'd like to discuss it feel free to add me on Skype, always happy to talk to people in the industry who are having success.
      Hey man, good to hear from you!

      I'd be interested to chat. Maybe I'm missing something but if people are bidding xyz in your area and their ads aren't horrible, you're going to have to bid equal to or more than that to get position. If you bid less, your ads don't show.

      I've been using FB Ads to attract new clients for 2 years now and it definitely works, it's just a different approach to what you would do on Adwords, content based. It's more effort because the pool of people you're advertising to generally doesn't renew the way Adwords does so you're often creating new content because your old content fatigued. That's why I've ventured into Adwords for my own client attraction, because I'm hoping for it to be a bit more hands off. Facebook is legit tho.

      Even with my high CPC Adwords is looking very promising for my own lead gen and as mentioned, I'm crushing it with every client I take on for Adwords lead gen.

      Maybe we can help each other out.

      I'll PM you my skype info.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10021500].message }}
    • hi dude im in uk can you help me with adwords google shopping ? cheers. nick
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10029588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author internetmonkey
    What types of offers have you found work best with FB ads?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10022431].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by internetmonkey View Post

      What types of offers have you found work best with FB ads?

      B2C works best by far B2B is a straight up struggle.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10022534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StrategicCheetah
      Originally Posted by internetmonkey View Post

      What types of offers have you found work best with FB ads?
      All kinds of things.

      FB Ad > Webinar > Strategy Session > Strategy Session

      My Webinar has been on several things. SEO, PPC, Social. Then I bring them to a strategy session and close them.

      Then I switched it up and started doing FB Ad > Squeeze > Long Content Video > Strategy Session. The strategy sessions weren't quite as qualified but the ROI was huge and it was immediate (No waiting 4 days to run ads, then run webinar, then deal with strategy sessions for 5 days). So you can literally switch the funnel on and close customers on the same day.

      The idea is to give great content, things potential clients will eat up.

      What simple quick thing can you teach them that will give them an immediate actionable nugget? When you can think of these things, they make for great FB content pieces.

      A word of warning when it comes to Facebook. More and more people are losing advertising accounts and the popular theory right now is that FB don't want you to go straight to a squeeze page.

      Instead you should first provide some content and then the content can lead to a squeeze page.

      You can then implement re targeting to help the process.

      Hope that helps give you some insight

      Don't sleep on FB Ads for B2B or B2C.
      Signature

      Precision beats power
      Timing beats speed

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10022615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author atrbiz
    We work with several clients that are successfully running Adwords, you may or may not have success initially, however the key is to consistently optimize your campaign and track conversions, etc.

    If you're not comfortable optimizing an Adwords campaign for a client, then definitely outsource to a reliable Adwords consultant.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10025335].message }}
  • heh dude can you contact me as i can't send messages here i need help with Roi google shopping, I'm in uk . nick email me :-]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10029608].message }}

Trending Topics