One Invisible Technique that Noone "Gets"

21 replies
This will be short as I am waiting for a train in Shibuya to take me home so I can sleep.

No time right now for an indepth analysis, but these phrases will sharpen your selling.

I get the feeling that even if we could.. that's not something youd want to meet and talk about.. Is that a fair statement? .. I see. What did I miss? (for reinforcing an idea)

It probably wont make sense in your case, but would it help if.. (suggesting an idea)

I have a problem... I have no idea if this is for you or not. (at the start to lower buying resistance)

I dont suppose this is the case with you.. (making a direct question less threatening, especially one which is a contentious issue such as a common objection)

There are many more. These phrases are adaptable to many situations too.

The real secret is to embody.. The spirit of these words
#invisible #technique
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014191].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Freebiequeen1999
    Instead of assuming the close you are assuming the NO?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    I don't suppose this is the case with you.... but do you agree people are going a little crazy over-complicating sales?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sooWoo
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      I don't suppose this is the case with you.... but do you agree people are going a little crazy over-complicating sales?
      I wholeheartedly agree. It's getting quite ridiculous now.
      Signature
      Launching a writing business and offering discounts for my first few clients. I'm an American, native english speaker. PM me and let's talk!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      I don't suppose this is the case with you.... but do you agree people are going a little crazy over-complicating sales?
      It's what happens with a little bit of knowledge and some success.
      I see it day in and day out for years.

      The saying "Keep It Simple Stupid" .... exists for a reason.

      On a side note:
      When people post about a "great" or "secret" or "hidden" sales technique ...
      Generally speaking - it's none of those things. What it is though, is a definitive
      "tell" on exactly where that sales person is at in his learning curve.

      I can't even count the amount of "master closers" that have lost all credibility
      within two sentences of the post that was meant to showcase how awesome
      their sales skill is.

      even worse ... when the wannabe sales guru spits out just enough almost credible
      info that anyone with lessor sales knowledge gets suckered into believing it.
      Signature

      Selling Ain't for Sissies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014741].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        It's what happens with a little bit of knowledge and some success.
        I see it day in and day out for years.

        The saying "Keep It Simple Stupid" .... exists for a reason.

        On a side note:
        When people post about a "great" or "secret" or "hidden" sales technique ...
        Generally speaking - it's none of those things. What it is though, is a definitive
        "tell" on exactly where that sales person is at in his learning curve.
        My God, that's insightful. Absolutely true. Do you know how many people knew that?


        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        I can't even count the amount of "master closers" that have lost all credibility
        within two sentences of the post that was meant to showcase how awesome
        their sales skill is.

        even worse ... when the wannabe sales guru spits out just enough almost credible
        info that anyone with lessor sales knowledge gets suckered into believing it
        .
        That's the real danger. They read something out of a book, or out of a report, claim it as their own, and say they use it...without any knowledge of how it would be applied.

        For example; "It probably won't make sense in your case, but would it help if.. "

        I've read the same thing, and I can't remember where. But I think it was on the Forum...I was hoping someone wold know the real source. I can see where this may be useful as an attention getter. Maybe at the end of closing, to snap them out of their thinking stream...maybe. I may have even said something like this, somewhere.

        Honestly, I was wondering if you, Misterme, or Kanigan may have posted these questions...and they were just copied from you. But I know I've seen them before...somewhere.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014788].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          My God, that's insightful. Absolutely true. Do you know how many people knew that?




          That's the real danger. They read something out of a book, or out of a report, claim it as their own, and say they use it...without any knowledge of how it would be applied.

          For example; "It probably won't make sense in your case, but would it help if.. "

          I've read the same thing, and I can't remember where. But I think it was on the Forum...I was hoping someone wold know the real source. I can see where this may be useful as an attention getter. Maybe at the end of closing, to snap them out of their thinking stream...maybe. I may have even said something like this, somewhere.

          Honestly, I was wondering if you, Misterme, or Kanigan may have posted these questions...and they were just copied from you. But I know I've seen them before...somewhere.
          Some of questions were from David Sandler.

          I'm sorry if people got the impression that I was trying to label this as my original idea.. because it's not. And I wanted to talk about the IDEA behind the words, not the questions themselves. I should probably change the title of this thread.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014868].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author eccj
            Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

            Some of questions were from David Sandler.

            I'm sorry if people got the impression that I was trying to label this as my original idea.. because it's not. And I wanted to talk about the IDEA behind the words, not the questions themselves. I should probably change the title of this thread.
            Yeah I recognized these from "You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar."

            I love these types of phrases. I don't use them prospecting but they are great when meeting someone. It allows you to get the prospect talking down to their exact desires vs hearing something and then assuming.

            It really is amazing how much assuming goes on in a normal conversation. Have a conversation today and try not to assume at all in your responses and you will see.

            Most salesmen hear what sounds like a problem that their product/service can fix and boom, they are off telling how they got the solution. Now you are in a long sales process because they still aren't sure that they need what you are selling

            Slow down to speed up!

            Play dumb!

            Don't play detective!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10015745].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
              Originally Posted by eccj View Post


              Most salesmen hear what sounds like a problem that their product/service can fix and boom, they are off telling how they got the solution. Now you are in a long sales process because they still aren't sure that they need what you are selling
              Reminds me of that saying ... "When you sell hammers ... all you see are nails"


              Originally Posted by eccj View Post

              Don't play detective!
              I think I am more detective then sales guy. Really I do.
              Most people don't even realize what I'm doing, when I'm doing it.

              Pre-qualify / qualify / confirm
              Signature

              Selling Ain't for Sissies
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10015778].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author eccj
                Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

                Reminds me of that saying ... "When you sell hammers ... all you see are nails"




                I think I am more detective then sales guy. Really I do.
                Most people don't even realize what I'm doing, when I'm doing it.

                Pre-qualify / qualify / confirm
                I wasn't real clear.

                Yes be a detective. Just don't play one.

                I want to get the info without seeming like I am interrogating them. Rather, I want to come off like I don't get what they want... playing dumb.

                I live in the South but I have lived in a couple other regions of the US.

                In the North-East, people act like they are smarter than they are.

                In the South, especially the Deep South, people act like they are dumber than they are. Some of the smartest people I know can put on the good 'ol boy show and subsequently sell just about anything to anyone and make them feel good about the purchase and good about themselves.

                People open up, because they don't feel threatened, and tell the salesman everything he needs to sell them, down to the smallest detail.

                I was selling a policy to an older woman about a month ago. She wanted something that she didn't really want and that didn't actually exist. I was starting to get aggravated with her because she didn't know what she was talking about and I did.

                I finally slowed down and started asking "dumb" questions and acting confused. About 5 minutes later I got the sale....... after talking to her about 6 times over the previous three weeks. Because I finally found out what she really wanted; not what she said she wanted.

                If I would have done that to begin with I would have saved myself a lot of time. But I got thrown off my game because she was a referral from a family member who told me "what she wanted." I sped up to slow down! I was stupid.

                Anyways.... that is what I meant by not playing detective
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10016033].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

            Some of questions were from David Sandler.

            I'm sorry if people got the impression that I was trying to label this as my original idea.. because it's not. And I wanted to talk about the IDEA behind the words, not the questions themselves. I should probably change the title of this thread.
            You're fine. I just couldn't remember where I read the questions before. Sandler was a very "I'm not selling, not even close" kind of trainer. And it appeals to non-salespeople...because it's not agressive at all. That doesn't mean that the method and approach doesn't work, it does.

            It's not my thing, but I see its merit.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10015776].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sandalwood
              If you want to find the origin of "some" of the statements of the OP look no further than the finance industry. I remember saying some of these words to potential clients when I was a stock broker in the 80's. I use some of them today selling insurance.

              Nothing new under the sun. Just depends on the situation.

              Only my 2 ยข and not stepping on anyone's contributions to this thread.
              Signature
              Get 30% or More Retirement Income If you are serious about your retirement, you'll love this product.

              The Money Ferret Finance Article Directory
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10015812].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matthew North
        Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

        So we're talking Negative Reverse Selling now?
        NR is the surface level concept. It's what you see and hear. I'm really speaking about what's beyond that level, why it works and how to embody it .. so it's not some 'Trick'. Calling something a technique does not make it a technique, it just a way of articulating an idea.

        Originally Posted by EverestOnlineMarketing View Post

        So it's selling by merely suggesting or implying...
        Not really.

        Originally Posted by Freebiequeen1999 View Post

        Instead of assuming the close you are assuming the NO?
        That's close.

        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I don't suppose this is the case with you.... but do you agree people are going a little crazy over-complicating sales?
        You could be right. I find that it's generally the opposite when you read advice about complex ideas.

        People want to hear simple truths.. So you have sayings such as 'Buyers are liars', 'Benefits sell', 'Always be closing'.. ideas which are simple and easy to understand.

        Are these partially things true? Yes. But they are not absolutely true.

        Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

        It's what happens with a little bit of knowledge and some success.
        I see it day in and day out for years.

        The saying "Keep It Simple Stupid" .... exists for a reason.

        On a side note:
        When people post about a "great" or "secret" or "hidden" sales technique ...
        Generally speaking - it's none of those things. What it is though, is a definitive
        "tell" on exactly where that sales person is at in his learning curve.

        I can't even count the amount of "master closers" that have lost all credibility
        within two sentences of the post that was meant to showcase how awesome
        their sales skill is.

        even worse ... when the wannabe sales guru spits out just enough almost credible
        info that anyone with lessor sales knowledge gets suckered into believing it.
        You are make a lot of assumptions which simply are not true. I've been reading these butthurt comments from you for years..

        If you don't like my posts, then don't read them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014803].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
          Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post


          You are make a lot of assumptions which simply are not true. I've been reading these butthurt comments from you for years..

          If you don't like my posts, then don't read them.
          I do like your posts - that's why i read them.

          Matt, you have me mixed up with some one else, I have never once said
          anything derogatory about you or anything you have ever said.

          and - what I posted is not assumptions, it's fact - based on experience.
          and it was not about you.
          Signature

          Selling Ain't for Sissies
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014815].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fly4fun
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      I don't suppose this is the case with you.... but do you agree people are going a little crazy over-complicating sales?
      I'd agree. Sales is an essential, valuable process, which I think that leads it to being over-analyzed and over-thought. Also probably not 'one size fits all', i.e. what works for one person may not be effective for another. The post had good intentions, but probably a little too clever imho.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10016058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daniyal100
    sales is simple conversation just like you do to yourself all the time in your mind or with anyone else your not selling something.

    I don't know why people make it complicated all the time, may be so that they can have the feeling that yes its actually very difficult and complicated and that's why they should not do it or get some training material from some dumb broke ass who's writing long posts all day from his shared 1 bed apartment just to steal a few bucks from a dumb ass like you because he don't know any better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10014851].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    I'd love to see some statistical analysis of different pitch scripts. I won't be surprised if things we assumed to be 'sales gospel' turned out to, well, suck badly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10016875].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eccj
      Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

      I'd love to see some statistical analysis of different pitch scripts. I won't be surprised if things we assumed to be 'sales gospel' turned out to, well, suck badly.
      That would be cool. Of course it wouldn't mean anything because there are a hundred other factors that go into a sale other than pitch scripts.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10016908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    I've read the same thing, and I can't remember where. But I think it was on the Forum...I was hoping someone wold know the real source.
    Originally Posted by Matthew North View Post

    Some of questions were from David Sandler.
    Sounded very Ari Galperish.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10020029].message }}

Trending Topics