How do you answer this gatekeeper question?

53 replies
Im interested in one particular question that the gatekeeper
will pose and would like to know peoples thoughts.

Ex:

Hi is Bob in?

GK: May I ask who's calling?

Me: yes this is Sam

GK: what's this regarding?

Me: Its a financial matter. (Im in finance)

GK: who are you with?

Me: so and so Capital

GK: Can I take a message? (Lol)






Point being if a gatekeeper asks who are you with how do you
respond?

I've been told to use your companies initials as opposed
to giving away a keyword such as:

This is Claude Whitacre Marketing
or
Im calling with CWM (instead)

Getting around this barrier is the key to more contacts with
decision maker possibly.

Can being too forthcoming with gatekeepers hinder your prospecting
as opposed to helping it?


Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sam
#answer #gatekeeper #question
  • Profile picture of the author lord diamond
    I've heard both recommendations, use full company name or use the initials (but say them real fast so they don't really hear you). Lol.

    I think the best bet is to sound authoritative and actually be honest with why you calling. Doing this only makes sense though if your intentions where 100% upright from the beginning.

    Look at the gatekeeper as an ally who you gain important information from about the company and the decision maker(s).

    Don't ever pitch the gatekeeper or say anything about prices to them.

    Just focus on making the gatekeeper believe its truly in their best interest to put you through. What you say here will vary from business to business, but if you can make that gatekeeper think there might be something in it for them, chances are they'll let you pass.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Hi there I wonder if you can help me?

    (wait for a positive response)

    I don't want to disturb Bob....Bob Bingham so I wonder if you could get him to call me?

    If you just tell him It's Claude from CWM and that we've just had a huge result from our (insert their industry here) campaign and now is the time to look the results over. I believe he made some enquiries about it but I'm NOT sure it would have been with me as it was quite a while ago now.

    He'll call

    ;0)
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
    The secret to selling is to be in control at all times.

    When they ask a question and you only answer, who's turn to talk is it? They are which means they are in control.


    Try these tips:

    Number 1
    Use instructional statements:

    GK = "Can I ask whose calling?"

    You = "This is Bob, please connect me with Jim, I'll hold thank you"

    GK = "Can I ask what's this regarding"

    You = "It's about saving your company money, please put me through"

    GK = "He's in a meeting, can I take a message"

    You = "The message I want to review is a little complex to leave in a message, can you tell me when he will be able to take my call?"

    GK = "I'm not sure but if you leave a message I can get him to call you back"

    GK = "I understand, If you had to guess, when would be best time?"

    At this point, if you're still not getting any help or info you're not getting through whatever you say. Try back another time and pray you get someone else.

    Number 2
    Call between 7.30am and 9am & after 5.30pm

    If all else fails, it might be time to move on, you're simply not going to be able to penetrate each company.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041854].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

      The secret to selling is to be in control at all times.

      When they ask a question and you only answer, who's turn to talk is it? They are which means they are in control.


      Try these tips:

      Number 1
      Use instructional statements:

      GK = "Can I ask whose calling?"

      You = "This is Bob, please connect me with Jim, I'll hold thank you"

      GK = "Can I ask what's this regarding"

      You = "It's about saving your company money, please put me through"

      GK = "He's in a meeting, can I take a message"

      You = "The message I want to review is a little complex to leave in a message, can you tell me when he will be able to take my call?"

      GK = "I'm not sure but if you leave a message I can get him to call you back"

      GK = "I understand, If you had to guess, when would be best time?"
      This is precisely where I would hang up on you. lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041958].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
        Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

        This is precisely where I would hang up on you. lol
        LOL exactly and you were never going to let me through anyway and no one is going to call back.

        I would rather a hangup so I can move on then hope and pray that message was going to get passed.

        Always know where you are in the sales process and you won't go crazy.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041971].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

          I would rather a hangup so I can move on then hope and pray that message was going to get passed.
          Exactly. I always taught my crew that as soon as they sense the 'N' in 'No,' hang up and call someone that is ready to say yes. That's how you make money.

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042004].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thet
        Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

        This is precisely where I would hang up on you. lol
        You are being to nice. He is going to save him money? Seriously? A good GK smell this telemarketer from miles away. Bye Bye.
        Signature

        Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
        — Charlie Munger

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Me personally I take a much different approach...

    Ex:

    Hi is Bob in?

    GK: May I ask who's calling?

    Me: This is Sam with XYZ

    GK: what's this regarding?

    Me: "I am returning Sam's call"


    Unless it is a really small firm, I would say this works oh most of the time for me. Once it gets passed who is calling.. and they ask another question, you pretty much know you are going to be leaving a message or voicemail.. so might as well make a go of it right?
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041935].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post


      Me: "I am returning Sam's call"


      Unless it is a really small firm, I would say this works oh most of the time for me. Once it gets passed who is calling.. and they ask another question, you pretty much know you are going to be leaving a message or voicemail.. so might as well make a go of it right?
      Seriously? You're going to attempt to start a business relationship by telling a bald-faced lie? What do you say when Sam says, "I thought you said that you were returning my call? I never called you." I mean other than, "I'm sorry. Goodbye."

      Wow!

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10041967].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

        Seriously? You're going to attempt to start a business relationship by telling a bald-faced lie? What do you say when Sam says, "I thought you said that you were returning my call? I never called you." I mean other than, "I'm sorry. Goodbye."

        Wow!

        Cheers. - Frank

        Im returning my call? that's a lie? huh? This is Sam calling and I'm returning my call.. I didn't say nothing about BOB.. think that's a bit edgy.. how about "I was asked to follow up with Bob today"?


        there is a play on words there... its not a lie, its a diversion!
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042041].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

          there is a play on words there... its not a lie, its a diversion!
          "A rose by any other name . . . . . . ." :-)

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042049].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

      Me personally I take a much different approach...

      Ex:

      Hi is Bob in?

      GK: May I ask who's calling?

      Me: This is Sam with XYZ

      GK: what's this regarding?

      Me: "I am returning Sam's call"

      I also take a different approach...

      Ex: This is Nathan, is Bob in right now?

      GK: What's this regarding?

      Me: I'm sorry, who am I speaking with?

      GK: ...whatever their name is... Let's say Melissa

      Me: Oh okay, nice to talk to you Melissa, I had an issue to discuss with Bob, if it's not a good time right now I can try again later.

      So what this does, is prevent the GK from taking control right away... asking who's calling... you're telling them right away, and more often than not, you will see them kind of fumble a little bit because they aren't use to people being that direct and abrupt.

      They ask what this is regarding, and you quickly take back control by asking who you're speaking with, this tends to throw them off a little bit more and makes them think you're someone close with Bob.

      Every now and then you still get a GK that wants to know absolutely everything... if that happens to you, just say that this is something you'd prefer to keep between you and Bob, or be very generic about what it is.

      I'm no telemarketing expert, but it's something that's always worked for me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042200].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Gladiator
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        I also take a different approach...

        Ex: This is Nathan, is Bob in right now?

        GK: What's this regarding?

        Me: I'm sorry, who am I speaking with?

        GK: ...whatever their name is... Let's say Melissa

        Me: Oh okay, nice to talk to you Melissa, I had an issue to discuss with Bob, if it's not a good time right now I can try again later.

        So what this does, is prevent the GK from taking control right away... asking who's calling... you're telling them right away, and more often than not, you will see them kind of fumble a little bit because they aren't use to people being that direct and abrupt.

        They ask what this is regarding, and you quickly take back control by asking who you're speaking with, this tends to throw them off a little bit more and makes them think you're someone close with Bob.

        Every now and then you still get a GK that wants to know absolutely everything... if that happens to you, just say that this is something you'd prefer to keep between you and Bob, or be very generic about what it is.

        I'm no telemarketing expert, but it's something that's always worked for me.

        You say your not a telemarketing expert but your advice here regrading the question "How do you answer this gatekeeper question?" is right on and better than most so called closers, or telemarketing experts advice around here! :-)

        Take control and be pleasant and be personal, like you know them well. Like a friend to friend call that is to get through. If you sound like a sales guy it will be difficult because your just like the other 10 guys that just called!

        There is other good advice here but taking contol is the best thing you can do IMO

        Andre



        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045960].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
          Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post

          You say your not a telemarketing expert but your advice here regrading the question "How do you answer this gatekeeper question?" is right on and better than most so called closers, or telemarketing experts advice around here! :-)

          Take control and be pleasant and be personal, like you know them well. Like a friend to friend call that is to get through. If you sound like a sales guy it will be difficult because your just like the other 10 guys that just called!

          There is other good advice here but taking control is the best thing you can do IMO

          Andre



          Even when you're not sounding like a sales guy: by lowering your energy, talking in a deeper voice etc, when they ask you "What's this regarding?", to which you side step and reply "an issue to discuss with Bob..." etc what you say there and then will identify whether you're a salesman or a fried of Bob.

          There's a lot of over thinking when it comes to handling a gatekeeper..

          You're either getting through or you're not. If she can't identify you, you're chances of progressing is quite slim. We can all think of "being in control" is by deciding to hang up and call back but in reality, it makes little different.

          From my experience if you can get the gatekeeper to tell you whether the DM takes these types of calls then you've progressed because you don't want to waste time trying to get through a gatekeeper only to get that same message. When the GK says "he might be interested" then you can try again.

          There are times when I've called up and the GK has said "the DM has gone home".

          Most here will probably think, "lets call back tomorrow". Do your fact finding there and then with the GK. Eg: "Does DM deal with xyz or would that be yourself". With a little bit more talking to the GK I found out they had already engaged with someone new. Now whats the point of calling back, aiming for the DM if you can find that info with the GK?

          The GK can give you tons of information as to whether you want to call back. Brain pick her. As a matter of fact. Last week I called into a company asking for the main guy but he wasn't available but found out the person I was suppose to talk to was the GK. Proposal was submitted. If you take the approach of "I must only speak with DM", you're going to be wasting A LOT of time and that's a silly way of being in "Control". People say, don't pitch the gatekeeper, which is true, instead of pitching her, fact find first before you decide to call back again.

          I've only been a proper cold caller for less than 1 month so this might not mean much to anyone.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046054].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Gladiator
            All I'm saying is.. You can not sound like you are reading a pitch and sound like a sales guy! Adlib your way around you should be likeable, natural, enthusiastic, use humor, be relaxed, Be authoritative but likeable etc.

            Saying you have an "an issue to discuss with Bob..." might not set things up in a positive way even if you get through!

            I would use something like
            I have some great news,
            I have something to tell him that will curl the hair behind his ears:-)

            Things that will get attention and make you different from the others.

            No.... being in control is dictating the conversation! Take it as far as you can. But yes they might not be willing to play with you so then say thank you good bye! Next!!

            Gate Keepers - Secretaries are trained to get rid of you or screen the calls and will lie! You must pitch the correct person and if you can't get the main guy then you can ask " John asked me to call about creating your company website. But since you said the he won't be back till tomorrow is there someone else that I can give the info to today? Yes put me through to whoever!! Now, Thank You!

            Anyway there is way too much to talk about when dealing with cold calling and closing so I can Not post too much about this as this can go on for ever!

            Everybody has their own style and ways but most of what I stated will be the same with many styles of closing! IMO

            Andre

            Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

            Even when you're not sounding like a sales guy: by lowering your energy, talking in a deeper voice etc, when they ask you "What's this regarding?", to which you side step and reply "an issue to discuss with Bob..." etc what you say there and then will identify whether you're a salesman or a fried of Bob.

            There's a lot of over thinking when it comes to handling a gatekeeper..

            You're either getting through or you're not. If she can't identify you, you're chances of progressing is quite slim. We can all think of "being in control" is by deciding to hang up and call back but in reality, it makes little different.

            From my experience if you can get the gatekeeper to tell you whether the DM takes these types of calls then you've progressed because you don't want to waste time trying to get through a gatekeeper only to get that same message. When the GK says "he might be interested" then you can try again.

            There are times when I've called up and the GK has said "the DM has gone home".

            Most here will probably think, "lets call back tomorrow". Do your fact finding there and then with the GK. Eg: "Does DM deal with xyz or would that be yourself". With a little bit more talking to the GK I found out they had already engaged with someone new. Now whats the point of calling back, aiming for the DM if you can find that info with the GK?

            The GK can give you tons of information as to whether you want to call back. Brain pick her. As a matter of fact. Last week I called into a company asking for the main guy but he wasn't available but found out the person I was suppose to talk to was the GK. Proposal was submitted. If you take the approach of "I must only speak with DM", you're going to be wasting A LOT of time and that's a silly way of being in "Control". People say, don't pitch the gatekeeper, which is true, instead of pitching her, fact find first before you decide to call back again.

            I've only been a proper cold caller for less than 1 month so this might not mean much to anyone.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    Me: Oh okay, nice to talk to you Melissa, I had an issue to discuss with Bob, if it's not a good time right now I can try again later.
    Frame control. In addition to this you can either add a bit of intrigue and/or urgency. Point is to NOT be the needy person in this exchange.

    Me: Oh okay, nice to talk to you Melissa, I had an issue to discuss with Bob. [B]I will be travelling tomorrow and limited availability. Probably b3st if he could get back with me sometime today./B]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Make it a "personal call" is a way to get through at times as well BUT it does depend on what your call is about because, as has already been said, you DON'T want to tell bold lies because that won't win you anything.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      Make it a "personal call" is a way to get through at times as well BUT it does depend on what your call is about because, as has already been said, you DON'T want to tell bold lies because that won't win you anything.
      Correct, but that means that if it's actually not a personal call, it actually is a bald-faced lie. :-)

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Well, if it is something that can specifically help that person, then it IS a personal call as such. I know that is a fine line but if you prepare a very precise introduction, you'll know yes or no or want to know more, very quickly. If it's no, then hang up and move on. When I used to work as a telemarketer and as a tm manager The training was always 3 no's and you hang up.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      Well, if it is something that can specifically help that person, then it IS a personal call as such.
      C'mon. I can't believe you are trying to sell that premise. It's a ludicrous statement. If anyone did that to get through to me I would ask for their supervisor and suggset that they be fired, immediately. Additionally, I would never do business with any company or individual that employed such blatantly dishonest tactics.
      I know that is a fine line but if you prepare a very precise introduction, you'll know yes or no or want to know more, very quickly. If it's no, then hang up and move on. When I used to work as a telemarketer and as a tm manager The training was always 3 no's and you hang up.
      For me it was one 'no.' If I have to try to sell someone something, they obviously don't have a need for it. Call someone that does. :-)

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    Well, it was 12 years ago. I suspect that things have changed a lot since then.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042380].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
      Banned
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      Well, it was 12 years ago. I suspect that things have changed a lot since then.
      The techniques, always and often. The ethics - not so much. :-)

      Cheers. - Frank
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042390].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        For some reason, I almost never get questioned by a gatekeeper.

        I learned a valuable technique in, Cold Call Techniques That Really Work (2015 edition)

        I used it twice (I think) and it got me past the gatekeeper.
        "Claude Whitacre here, may I speak to Bob Barker?"

        "What's his concerning?"

        "Well, do you want the whole story?" (I say it in a playful way, not like I'm angry or exhausted)

        They didn't. They put me through. One laughed her ass off.

        Anyway, it's worth a shot.

        If I'm in a "Claude" mood, I've done this;

        "May I ask who's calling?"
        "Sure, go right ahead".
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042419].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          For some reason, I almost never get questioned by a gatekeeper.
          Be honest, Claude. Any GK will put you through to anyone, as quickly as possible, just so they don't have to listen to your blather.

          You could probably call the White House and get through to the president on just a 'hello.'

          Cheers. - Frank
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042523].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post

            Be honest, Claude. Any GK will put you through to anyone, as quickly as possible, just so they don't have to listen to your blather.

            You could probably call the White House and get through to the president on just a 'hello.'

            Cheers. - Frank
            I suspect many of us can get through to just about anyone. If you sound like "Everyone puts me through. I belong here" it gets you past just about anyone.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042540].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BigFrank
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              I suspect may of us can get through to just about anyone. If you sound like "Everyone puts me through. I belong here" it gets you past just about anyone.
              I was expecting a bit more of a humorous response - but, OK. :-)

              They only time I am treated as if I belong somewhere is when I call the zoo. They put me right through to the chimp habitat. :-(

              Cheers. - Frank
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042564].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author thet
          Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

          For some reason, I almost never get questioned by a gatekeeper.

          I learned a valuable technique in, Cold Call Techniques That Really Work (2015 edition)

          I used it twice (I think) and it got me past the gatekeeper.
          "Claude Whitacre here, may I speak to Bob Barker?"

          "What's his concerning?"

          "Well, do you want the whole story?" (I say it in a playful way, not like I'm angry or exhausted)

          They didn't. They put me through. One laughed her ass off.

          Anyway, it's worth a shot.

          If I'm in a "Claude" mood, I've done this;

          "May I ask who's calling?"
          "Sure, go right ahead".
          Haha With my personality.. the 'whole story' line doesn't really work haha I have gotten in some akward situation where the GK would say "Ehh.. No.. just a short explanation would be fine" haha It did work a couple of times where she did laugh and I got passed trough.. However, I feel it's a bit manipulative.. because you actually act like it's a real situation you need to discuss, which isn't true.

          I sometimes say: Yes, I am here to sell something. It's about... And if look at his profile, I am pretty sure it would fit him well..

          This works well, with personal assistants
          Signature

          Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
          — Charlie Munger

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043401].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by thet View Post

            Haha With my personality.. the 'whole story' line doesn't really work haha I have gotten in some akward situation where the GK would say "Ehh.. No.. just a short explanation would be fine" haha It did work a couple of times where she did laugh and I got passed trough.. However, I feel it's a bit manipulative.. because you actually act like it's a real situation you need to discuss, which isn't true.
            I say it like it's a joke, and I expect a laugh. In no way do they think this is a real situation. And that's why they chuckle.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044296].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author thet
              Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

              I say it like it's a joke, and I expect a laugh. In no way do they think this is a real situation. And that's why they chuckle.
              I understand, I just can't pull it off. I am not often in a joke-mindset. Which is an important point.

              Use who you are, fully. Even on the phone people smell phoniness from a mile away.
              Signature

              Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
              — Charlie Munger

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    That is very true, Frank.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Website / Blog for more info.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10042398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thet
    Originally Posted by samrand View Post

    Im interested in one particular question that the gatekeeper
    will pose and would like to know peoples thoughts.

    Ex:

    Hi is Bob in?

    GK: May I ask who's calling?

    Me: yes this is Sam

    GK: what's this regarding?

    Me: Its a financial matter. (Im in finance)

    GK: who are you with?

    Me: so and so Capital

    GK: Can I take a message? (Lol)






    Point being if a gatekeeper asks who are you with how do you
    respond?

    I've been told to use your companies initials as opposed
    to giving away a keyword such as:

    This is Claude Whitacre Marketing
    or
    Im calling with CWM (instead)

    Getting around this barrier is the key to more contacts with
    decision maker possibly.

    Can being too forthcoming with gatekeepers hinder your prospecting
    as opposed to helping it?


    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Sam
    Hi with X, I am looking for Tim, ... Tim Jewels.

    GK: May I ask who's calling?

    Me: Ofcourse, X

    GK: what's this regarding?

    Me: It's about X, could you pass me trough pls?

    GK: who are you with?

    Me: Ah, I am from X...

    GK: Can I take a message? (Lol)

    Me: Sure, I could also send him an e-mail if that would be better?

    GK: That would be great

    Me: I dont have his e-mail by hand... Do you have it?

    GK: I can't give away his e-mail, sorry

    Me: Hmmm.. Can I send you the e-mail then? Maybe you can pass it trough?

    GK: Sure



    Thing is, I never hear "can I take a message". However, If you get to the point, just keep the eye on the ball. The goal is always to get to the next step. If that next step is mailing the GK so you can reach the decision maker.. let's do it.
    She will probably delete your mail, he will probably delete your mail.
    No problem,
    call back.If it's worth the fight.
    Signature

    Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
    — Charlie Munger

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samrand
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

    Some golden nuggets in here. Love this section of
    the forum.

    Claude said something that im curious about. He said
    most of the time he is unchecked by the gatekeeper if he is already prepared
    by knowing the biz owner name (or contact name).

    My experience is a tad different. Im 34 but I sound young
    in a sense. My voice isn't high and I dont sound like a teen but
    I have a tonality I suppose that gatekeepers will challenge.

    Claude on the other hand has a mature voice. I've seen his
    youtube vids. If I was a gatekeeper his tone and voice maturity alone
    might make me pass him through without much thought.





    I could be way off but if you sound like the gatekeepers boss
    (LITERALLY) than that might increase your chances on getting
    passed through.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043857].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thet
      Originally Posted by samrand View Post

      Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

      Some golden nuggets in here. Love this section of
      the forum.

      Claude said something that im curious about. He said
      most of the time he is unchecked by the gatekeeper if he is already prepared
      by knowing the biz owner name (or contact name).

      My experience is a tad different. Im 34 but I sound young
      in a sense. My voice isn't high and I dont sound like a teen but
      I have a tonality I suppose that gatekeepers will challenge.

      Claude on the other hand has a mature voice. I've seen his
      youtube vids. If I was a gatekeeper his tone and voice maturity alone
      might make me pass him through without much thought.





      I could be way off but if you sound like the gatekeepers boss
      (LITERALLY) than that might increase your chances on getting
      passed through.
      This is an excuse you tell yourself about the voice.
      Signature

      Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
      — Charlie Munger

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043884].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by samrand View Post

      Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

      Some golden nuggets in here. Love this section of
      the forum.

      Claude said something that im curious about. He said
      most of the time he is unchecked by the gatekeeper if he is already prepared
      by knowing the biz owner name (or contact name).

      My experience is a tad different. Im 34 but I sound young
      in a sense. My voice isn't high and I dont sound like a teen but
      I have a tonality I suppose that gatekeepers will challenge.

      Claude on the other hand has a mature voice. I've seen his
      youtube vids. If I was a gatekeeper his tone and voice maturity alone
      might make me pass him through without much thought.





      I could be way off but if you sound like the gatekeepers boss
      (LITERALLY) than that might increase your chances on getting
      passed through.
      I get it. But it isn't the tone of voice. It's the relaxed certainty in the voice. Great dept collectors have that way of speaking. You hear no hesitancy or doubt in their voice.

      In fact, it's the secret of how hypnosis works. Being hypnotized is simply accepting the hypnotist's reality. You need the gatekeeper to accept the reality that they should talk to you, and you are used to getting through.

      When I'm selling, one of the most important things I do, is create the reality that everyone buys from me., and I expect the prospect to buy from me too. I soud lke that even if the last 6 people didn't buy. It never changes.

      Not in an arrogant way. Remember the last time you talked to a doctor. Was he arrogant? pushy? Did he tell lots of jokes? Did he keep complimenting you? No.

      But you did whatever he told you to, without question. Why? Because you bought into his reality. He was certain. and he/she acted like they expected you to immediately follow their advice, without question.....

      That's selling. And prospecting is just the first part of selling.

      Does it always work? No. Just like not everyone can be hypnotized. Not everyone follows their doctor's advice. But you sure increase your chances.

      And how do you develop that certainty in your voice? Practice. Knowing exactly what you want to say, exactly who you want to talk to, and why.

      It also helps dramatically, if you are busy enough, that it doesn't matter to you if that person buys from you.


      Originally Posted by thet View Post

      I sometimes say: Yes, I am here to sell something. It's about... And if look at his profile, I am pretty sure it would fit him well..

      This works well, with personal assistants
      I actually kind of like that.

      I remember knocking on someone's door, the woman opened it and immediately asked, "Are you selling something?'. She sounded like she was expecting a fight.

      I started to shake my head "No", and said, "Pfffft! Ab-so-lutely". It stunned her for a second. She didn't know what to say. I just said, "Do you have a minute?"...and she hesitated for a few seconds, and then invited me in.
      I'm convinced that she had a script in her head, where I would start a spiel, or deny that I was selling something. To be honest, I can't remember if she bought. But the exchange at the door stuck with me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044091].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thet
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        I get it. But it isn't the tone of voice. It's the relaxed certainty in the voice. Great dept collectors have that way of speaking. You hear no hesitancy or doubt in their voice.

        In fact, it's the secret of how hypnosis works. Being hypnotized is simply accepting the hypnotist's reality. You need the gatekeeper to accept the reality that they should talk to you, and you are used to getting through.

        When I'm selling, one of the most important things I do, is create the reality that everyone buys from me., and I expect the prospect to buy from me too. I soud lke that even if the last 6 people didn't buy. It never changes.

        Not in an arrogant way. Remember the last time you talked to a doctor. Was he arrogant? pushy? Did he tell lots of jokes? Did he keep complimenting you? No.

        But you did whatever he told you to, without question. Why? Because you bought into his reality. He was certain. and he/she acted like they expected you to immediately follow their advice, without question.....

        That's selling. And prospecting is just the first part of selling.

        Does it always work? No. Just like not everyone can be hypnotized. Not everyone follows their doctor's advice. But you sure increase your chances.

        And how do you develop that certainty in your voice? Practice. Knowing exactly what you want to say, exactly who you want to talk to, and why.

        It also helps dramatically, if you are busy enough, that it doesn't matter to you if that person buys from you.
        lol

        Maybe a funny tip:

        Just do your e-mail or something else while calling the receptionist.
        Signature

        Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
        — Charlie Munger

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044101].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kenmichaels
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        It also helps dramatically, if you are busy enough, that it doesn't matter to you if that person buys from you.
        Even if your not, you should really try to portray that ... again not in an arrogant
        way, more as a matter of fact.

        This is one of the few times that I actually agree with the "fake it till you make it "
        sentiment.
        Signature

        Selling Ain't for Sissies
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044102].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bizgrower
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          Even if your not, you should really try to portray that ... again not in an arrogant
          way, more as a matter of fact.

          This is one of the few times that I actually agree with the "fake it till you make it "
          sentiment.
          Coupled with knowing your offer is good and going to help somebody, and that you will get
          to a yes from somebody.
          Signature

          "If you think you're the smartest person in the room, then you're probably in the wrong room."

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044535].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by kenmichaels View Post

          Even if your not, you should really try to portray that ... again not in an arrogant
          way, more as a matter of fact.

          This is one of the few times that I actually agree with the "fake it till you make it "
          sentiment.
          The way I look at it is Performing......acting.

          When I'm selling (at least when selling vacuums), I am playing a part. It was just random chance that they would see me, behaving as I normally would.

          Even now, when I make a sales call, I'm acting. It's not that I'm acting confident when I'm not....it's that I'm acting far more engaged and interested than I really am.

          And it's tiring. Speaking at a three day event, by the third day, I'm exhausted....just wearing the "I'm really interested in everything you say, and I love everyone" mask.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thet
    Also, there is a ton you can do to work on your voice. Most will have to do with inner growth tho. Becoming confident, strong frame, etc

    Otherwise, you are just putting a bandaid on the wound. That works. But is not as nearly as effective as changing from the inside out to the person you want to become.
    Signature

    Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
    — Charlie Munger

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. I have gone to extraordinary lengths to avoid cold calling in my life. And I have owned a collection agency, lol

    But, on point....

    ... these days, I frequently find myself on the receiving end of cold callers, and I have to say they are a pretty pathetic group on the aggregate.

    Maybe I have a more sophisticated BS detector than the typical gatekeeper (though I kind of doubt it), but most of the pitches in this thread wouldn't survive 15 seconds with me.

    You know who would/does survive on the phone for more than 15 seconds? Real people, who actually have something to say in a real human voice.

    Power plays turn me off immediately. Confidence, however, gets my attention. A real introduction, and quick proof that the caller knows who I am and that what they have is at least somewhat relevant to me gets through my defenses, and earn my attention at least long enough to have their say.

    Focus less on ninja mind tricks and more on making a human connection, and you'll connect at least with me. I suspect I speak for gatekeepers everywhere on this point.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043946].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Sam, you are setting yourself up for conflict
      by asking "is Bob in?"

      What I found when getting into and landing
      as clients, Puma and 7 of NZ's largest category brands,
      was the gatekeeper wants to know 3 things...

      1 what do you want

      2 who do you want to speak to

      3 who are you

      I would always ask who I should be speaking to
      about getting a better deal on the product.

      I don't recall ever not getting through to the decision maker.

      I only recall one occasion that the decision maker wasn't
      interested in finding out more.

      The decision maker of a 60+ chain of vehicle testing
      stations couldn't speak to me on the first call but phoned
      me back at his cost the same day.

      That illustrates the power of my approach to my market.

      Best,
      Doctor E. Vile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10043993].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author thet
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Sam, you are setting yourself up for conflict
        by asking "is Bob in?"

        What I found when getting into and landing
        as clients, Puma and 7 of NZ's largest category brands,
        was the gatekeeper wants to know 3 things...

        1 what do you want

        2 who do you want to speak to

        3 who are you

        I would always ask who I should be speaking to
        about getting a better deal on the product.

        I don't recall ever not getting through to the decision maker.

        I only recall one occasion that the decision maker wasn't
        interested in finding out more.

        Best,
        Doctor E. Vile
        interested in find

        The decision maker of a 60+ chain of vehicle testing
        stations couldn't speak to me on the first call but phoned
        me back at his cost the same day.
        To be fair Ewan, I respect your posts.

        However,
        saying that you never got trough
        to a decision maker

        and just once where a guy didnt
        want
        to find out more

        Makes me wonder,
        how much cold calls,

        you did in your life



        Otherwise, you simply are a 100% cold call ninja!
        Signature

        Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
        — Charlie Munger

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044010].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Originally Posted by thet View Post

          To be fair Ewan, I respect your posts.

          However,
          saying that you never got trough
          to a decision maker

          and just once where a guy didnt
          want
          to find out more

          Makes me wonder,
          how much cold calls,

          you did in your life



          Otherwise, you simply are a 100% cold call ninja!
          To be fair, the companies I call upon use a type of product I sell.

          I know on many instances where the companies called upon by people
          don't use the same product or service being sold.

          I also know that the product isn't a big buying decision
          due to price and cost of getting the decision wrong.

          Other callers don't have that luxury.

          However I have come to the conclusion that
          by giving gatekeepers those three things,
          which can take some refining, gets you through to the decision maker.

          Best,
          Doctor E. Vile
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044038].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author thet
            Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

            To be fair, the companies I call upon use a type of product I sell.

            I know on many instances where the companies called upon by people
            don't use the same product or service being sold.

            I also know that the product isn't a big buying decision
            due to price and cost of getting the decision wrong.

            Other callers don't have that luxury.

            However I have come to the conclusion that
            by giving gatekeepers those three things,
            which can take some refining, gets you through to the decision maker.

            Best,
            Doctor E. Vile
            Awesome.

            Great extra insight. You don't want the Topic poster get demotivated thinking "what, 0 times where Ewan didn't get trough?"

            I have not gotten trough a lot. But less and less with more and more experience.
            Signature

            Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
            — Charlie Munger

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044050].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
              Originally Posted by thet View Post

              Awesome.

              Great extra insight. You don't want the Topic poster get demotivated thinking "what, 0 times where Ewan didn't get trough?"

              I have not gotten trough a lot. But less and less with more and more experience.
              You were right for bringing that up so I could clarify.

              I would custom make a "reason for the call"
              for each different market.

              Some would be "who should I be talking with about...?"

              while others would be...

              "I'm calling to speak with [name] about...".

              A number of factors come into play as to which opening
              I would use depending on what I've got or what client has got,
              and the company data I have.

              So no off the shelf approach
              but still giving the reason for the call.

              Best,
              Doctor E. Vile
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044086].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe J
      Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

      You know who would/does survive on the phone for more than 15 seconds? Real people, who actually have something to say in a real human voice.

      Power plays turn me off immediately. Confidence, however, gets my attention. A real introduction, and quick proof that the caller knows who I am and that what they have is at least somewhat relevant to me gets through my defenses, and earn my attention at least long enough to have their say.

      Focus less on ninja mind tricks and more on making a human connection, and you'll connect at least with me. I suspect I speak for gatekeepers everywhere on this point.

      I am not a tele-marketer or sales person or even one who receives many cold calls.

      I like how Jack would like to receive these cold calls.

      If you did a little homework on the company your calling and have a real nice short story about how you know that every company of their type has this
      particular (whatever that may really be) problem

      and that you have saved their competitor or other company money (hopefully be able to spit out a huge exact figure)

      and that if you put me in touch with the correct person (you should know who that is already) then you would be a hero (or whatever chosen word you feel necessary).

      That was long winded but may only take a minute to say.

      Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

      Joe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045064].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jack Gordon
        Originally Posted by Joe J View Post

        I am not a tele-marketer or sales person or even one who receives many cold calls.

        I like how Jack would like to receive these cold calls.

        If you did a little homework on the company your calling and have a real nice short story about how you know that every company of their type has this
        particular (whatever that may really be) problem

        and that you have saved their competitor or other company money (hopefully be able to spit out a huge exact figure)

        and that if you put me in touch with the correct person (you should know who that is already) then you would be a hero (or whatever chosen word you feel necessary).

        That was long winded but may only take a minute to say.

        Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

        Joe
        I should give you a stronger disclaimer...

        I am not a cold calling expert. I am not even a cold caller. I know very little about the science behind it, and I have never tested different ways to do it. I have made a few cold calls in my life, and found them to be something that I wished to never have to do again. Hence, my earlier statement that I have gone to extraordinary lengths to not have to do it in my current businesses.

        Any advice I offer on the subject is offered in the hope that my experiences and preferences are commonly held. I do not know if that is actually the case.

        It could be that what doesn't work on me works on every other person on earth. If that is the case, I steered you badly, and I apologize.

        This is my way of saying you should evaluate all voices that speak up on this issue for credibility, and give more authority to those that can share actual data and experience from that side of the phone.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045133].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Jack Gordon View Post

          I should give you a stronger disclaimer...

          I am not a cold calling expert. I am not even a cold caller. I know very little about the science behind it, and I have never tested different ways to do it. I have made a few cold calls in my life, and found them to be something that I wished to never have to do again. Hence, my earlier statement that I have gone to extraordinary lengths to not have to do it in my current businesses.
          .
          Jack; Your advice didn't indicate that you were trying to pass yourself off as a telemarketing expert.

          One thing that can make you an expert is receiving thousands of telemarketing calls.

          I went to speak to a group of advertising sales reps. But I never sold advertising.

          So I started off by telling them that I've bought hundreds of thousands of dollars in advertising, and tested the results. So, I knew what approaches worked, and what approaches didn't work. I also know how to keep a client, and how to lose one.

          It took a few minutes to convince them that the buyer's point of view, is the one they should study.

          Anyway, your insights into this are a valuable as any. And it's a class move to qualify your advice.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046005].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thet
    You need to walk that line of clarity. The receptionist doesn't need to know all but you should not have to start with a lie.

    If there is a no put trough policy, there is a reason.
    Signature

    Recognize reality even when you don't like it - especially when you don't like it.
    — Charlie Munger

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10044097].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Skywriting
    Decision makers often answer their own phone before 8 and after 4:30.
    Try and get the direct number before asking for -phone mail "due to disconnect problems you've had."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10045135].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
    There are several ways you can do this, but the main thing is to get them to let their guard down. I shared what I do most of the time already, but took it down because I don't want everyone sounding like me.

    You can/should position yourself as a business owner that's calling a business owner right away. I tell them exactly who I am, where I'm located and what I do. Most secretaries are hard wired to be defensive, so much of the time they'll still ask you "what is this regarding"?

    I'll then repeat myself and much of the time they'll feel foolish because you already told them that. When that happens they're going to put you through, because on the off chance you're legit they don't want to make you angry.

    Make sense?

    If I ask for someone by name and it's a guy that picks up, sometimes I'll mess with them to get them to let their guard down. Example, the guy picks up the phone. I say "Hello, is this Bob? They say "no, this is Frank." I'll then say something like "I was gonna say, you don't look a bit like Bob, Frank." That usually gets a laugh.

    If they don't say their name I'll do something like this. Example, the guy picks up the phone. I say "Hello, is this Bob? They say "no". I say "well who are you, the burglar?" Then give a chuckle.

    Once again, that tends to get a positive response.

    If you're having trouble getting through to someone you already know you can mess with them by doing this.

    Example, the guy or gal picks up the phone. I say "Hello, is Bob available?" They may ask what it's regarding. If so, you can say "this is Dr. Jones over at the FREE CLINIC. We just got his test results back and it doesn't look good. You'd better put him on the phone."

    Get it. The "free clinic?" Lol

    No, I've never personally used that one. I had a friend that sat behind me back in my "Dilbert Cube" days who did that all the time. I don't recall him ever making anyone mad. It just has to suit your personality. This guy was nuts. If that's you, go for it.

    HTH
    Signature

    My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

    http://www.UnCENTSored.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10046452].message }}

Trending Topics