Cold calling for Website Design?

52 replies
hi,
hope everybody here is fine. i'd kindly ask for your thoughts and help regarding my cold calling attempt as i can see there's a lot of pros in here

so here's the trick, i thought i'd offer a free prototype, don't worry about the prototype, just one page, maybe only a template image. something to show in the meeting.

the script

#GATE KEEPER
#hello {COMPANY}, {NAME} speaking
Hi, it's {MY NAME} speaking. Did you say this is {COMPANY}? / Is this {COMPANY}?
#yes
I see, that's great. Sorry what was your name again?
#name
Hi {NAME}. {MY NAME} speaking. I'm a marketing consultant and I was wondering if you could possibly help me out here please?
#sure, whats the matter
I was actually hoping to have a quick chat with somebody in charge of your website?
#regarding?
Like I said I'm a marketing consultant based here in {CITY}. I made a prototype of how your website is going to look after a revamp as my analysis indicates you've got a lot of potential. Just want to have a quick chat if this is something you guys would like to see?
#sure let me connect you
----------

#DECISION MAKER
#speaking
Hi {NAME}, it's {MY NAME} speaking. Good time to talk?
#depends
Don't worry I'll be very brief. Well I'm actually a marketing consultant based here in {CITY} and I've prepared a prototype of how your website is going to look after a revamp as my analysis indicates you've got a lot of potential. Just wanted to have a quick chat if this is something you'd like to see? It's free and totally non-obligatory.
#tell me more / not sure what you mean
Well I spotted some critical issues on your website that are likely to be losing you a lot of money, the analysis I got here indicates that you got a great potential to improve your business. That being said, I've just helped another company resolve similar issues.
#what do you suggest then
{NAME} Well I'd be happy to highlight the critical issues and show you the prototype but I'd need to be sitting in front of a screen. Are you around this week at all?
#sure
{NAME} Can I ask you a quick question?
#sure
In ideal world, would you like go forward with some changes?
#i think so

if you guys would be so kind and criticize, criticize, criticize

also what's the best way to get some numbers to call? if you for instance go via google maps, look for accountants in the area some of them are too small, hence my target would be companies that can afford to pay a grand a month retainer after the revamp is done

thanks!
#calling #cold #cold calling #design #website #website design
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    You don't need to ID yourself to the gatekeeper as a marketing consultant. You are YOU. The Expert.

    Don't let the GK put you into a box.

    This question, btw, is asked over and over again. Did you look at the Search feature?

    You have different steps to go through in a call.

    Selling is NOT your objective right away.

    Your first objective is to give the GK sufficient information so that they have "just enough," a barely good enough reason, to pass your call through.

    They WANT to help you...except in a few niches where the GKs have been trained by their decision makers to block incoming calls to protect the DM's time.

    But even then...if you have a barely good enough reason...

    Picture the GK swinging the door open and letting you in.

    If you get stuck in the Attacker-Defender setup normally visualized by newbies, you're doomed.

    And this effect is entirely self-created. The GK isn't "doing" it to you.

    Occasionally yes, you are going to encounter Curmudgeonly Old Jane or Mike whose miserable life purpose is to make life as miserable for everyone else as their own. Don't take it personally. Even I encounter these people and there's nothing to do but move on with a smile.

    I mean, think about it. If a GK is a jerk, what does that say about the entire organization?

    Would you really want to work with such an organization? Give them POWER over you as a CLIENT?

    (No, Thanks.)

    Step 2 is getting on a call with the DM.

    Objective A in this step is Start The Call Effectively. Get the DM out of whatever they were doing and onto the call.

    Objective B is to begin an effective qualification conversation.

    If you can't do these things, you can't get sales.

    They seem simple-sounding, don't they.

    We all have a brain and a mouth and have been using them for decades.

    Too bad these steps and objectives require SKILLS.

    But hey, that's the barrier to entry in professional selling.

    Sales is the ONLY field I can think of where we can slap a nametag on some poor sop, and send him out into the world with zero training. Can you imagine if we did this with doctors? Nurses? Accountants? Engineers?

    (Look, that new bridge fell down. What a surprise.)

    You need to learn these steps and follow through the objectives one at a time.

    It is going to take time, too, to get good at achieving each objective.

    One at a time.

    First the GKs will block you.

    Then they won't.

    Then you'll get tongue-tied with DMs.

    Then you won't.

    And then you'll start making sales.

    But if you don't commit the week or two weeks or four weeks it takes to start getting good at this stuff, it won't happen.

    It doesn't take long. And it pays off for the rest of your life.

    Have your eye on the prize. The prize is NOT to sell to everyone we meet.

    The prize is NOT to sell to the GK.

    The prize is not even to sell to the DM, necessarily.

    (I mean, what if the DM has absolutely no need for what you offer? That would be a rip-off, wouldn't it, and invite Buyer's Remorse and a host of other troubles. And that's just one example.)

    Run a consistent sales process so you know where you are at.

    I don't care whether it's Tom Hopkins' or mine or Ari Galper's or Bozo the Clown's. But get consistent and run it consistently.

    "To manage we must measure."

    If you keep changing this and that, every variable, the tone of your voice, the wording of your script, the niche you call into, you'll never be able to measure anything.

    In science, we change ONE variable at a time.

    That's how you find out what works.

    The question is, do you have the stick-to-it-iveness to succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10245055].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Jason, thanks very much for your killer feedback.

      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      You don't need to ID yourself to the gatekeeper as a marketing consultant. You are YOU. The Expert.

      Don't let the GK put you into a box.
      Very good point, thanks! I think similar to when you ask the GK to speak with the owner, immediately on alert. I think...

      In terms of the sales skills I tried to skill up reading multiple websites, watching youtube videos and so on but more you read and watch more you feel like there so much to learn. I agree with everything you said but feel like 'practice makes the master'. That's why I thought it'd would be good start to put some script together and see how it goes.

      I have some sales process in place but I think will amend based on my experience. I've been planning to start cold calling so long that I cant plan anymore. I think time for action has arrived.

      Thanks again for your feedback.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246677].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author niceharry
      Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

      You don't need to ID yourself to the gatekeeper as a marketing consultant. You are YOU. The Expert.

      Don't let the GK put you into a box.

      This question, btw, is asked over and over again. Did you look at the Search feature?

      ...
      I have recently started to observe this section of the forum and I find a great amount of valuable information. Even though I am not selling offline at the moment, I am tempted to, with this advice.

      Thanks for sharing it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10286226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamchrisgreen
    I started to read through what you'd done and was about to weigh in, but Jason has said it all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10245338].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by iamchrisgreen View Post

      I started to read through what you'd done and was about to weigh in, but Jason has said it all.
      thanks chris for your feedback. so you saying this script is actually good to go? I mean with jason's corrections.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Originally Posted by digimars View Post

        thanks chris for your feedback. so you saying this script is actually good to go? I mean with jason's corrections.
        No, OP, your original script is NOT "good to go."

        Did you look at the link I shared above? There's a proper script in there that has helped hundreds of not thousands of people via this forum over the years.

        What I described above are the STAGES or even Mindset for stages of qualification. Not the words of a script, which would come out of that--what end result do you want? That's where you begin. The words stem from that.

        As for SalesGod...he(?) is RIGHT on the self-promotion line in asking you to PM him. Next step, an invoice for writing you a script.

        Do it again, SalesGod, and I'll have to report you for it.

        You came in here with a bad attitude. If you're smart, you'll change your moniker and tone it down.

        The main contributors here have spent years helping people in this subforum. Everyone once in awhile someone new pops in and tries to make a splash.

        I'm all for new contributors and definitely for participation. When someone comes in with such an obvious self-promotional angle, pushing for private "discussions" (where the offer to work for pay soon follows, no doubt) then it's Not Okay, though.

        You know...those new guys who come in thinking they're such a big deal? They almost never last. After a few weeks they're gone...which is why I haven't said anything before.

        I want to give you a chance because you may have valuable information to share. But stop asking for people to PM you for "help." There are rules here. You want to help? Do it in the thread. Your expertise will be displayed there, too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246849].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author digimars
          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          No, OP, your original script is NOT "good to go."
          Thanks Jason. Ha ha I know now. Again after reading some of the stuff in here getting the feeling again of not knowing what I am doing

          Originally Posted by Jason Kanigan View Post

          Did you look at the link I shared above? There's a proper script in there that has helped hundreds of not thousands of people via this forum over the years.
          Well I checked it out first on a tablet first where the links are not visible. But had a proper read through now. What a boss you are Jason. The amount of content you created is astounding. I already got my best bit from one of your videos:

          Look the time is going to go by whether you take action or not. If you sit on your ass it’s going to be Christmas and you’re not gonna have any money. Or you learn a new skill and get out there and take action consistently.

          What a boss killer machine quote It could easily go to one of these motivational videos on YT! Next to Les Brown and so on...

          Work in progress on updated version of the script...as always nothing is as easy as it seems to be. Will post the new version tomorrow hopefully. I'd like to start cracking on the phone beginning of the next week so will get this one sorted this weekend.

          Thanks for a great post mate.

          Cheers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246256].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      sorry to be harsh but your losing a ton of money and opportunitys if your using this script. theres too many things for me to pick apart to even write. PM me if you want help. Id redo the entire script tho.
      dont feel sorry to be harsh and hit me, if you can just briefly pick up some major points, do not waste time, that would help.

      thanks a million
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246682].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      sorry to be harsh but your losing a ton of money and opportunitys if your using this script. theres too many things for me to pick apart to even write. PM me if you want help. Id redo the entire script tho.
      I don't get the whole "PM me for help" thing you keep doing. Just post up your help --- this is what the discussion forum entails.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246726].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246738].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
          I like to help 1 on 1 without others putting crazy theoretical aka non working sales tips in the persons head that I'm trying to help.

          It's 3 in the morning I'll give you some tips on turning that into a closers script when I wake up. No one has to follow my advice I just simple say and do what works every single day.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246745].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
            Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

            No one has to follow my advice I just simple say and do what works every single day.
            What advice?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
    When I build my initial script/conversation I typically start with constructing a 20-30 second mini-mercial that is a highly summarized blurb about a pain or two that is typically found within the niche market I intend to call into, as well as my solution to that problem.

    This allows for me to consistently deliver that message over and over so that I can quickly move through enough prospects to find the ones that have an interest. Of those that do, we can move the call forward and continue the sales process.


    Cold calling for Website Design?
    Ok, great. So, what problem do you solve and what is the solution you bring?

    Pain: <business type> is struggling to reach customers through digital media.
    Solution: Generate sales/leads with your...? (come up with something unique!)

    Figure that out then build two versions:

    1. The 20-30 second version is for initially when the decision maker picks up.
    2. An even shorter version that is for when someone firsts picks up.

    I found my inspiration to my own scripts right here in this Offline section using the search function. Claude Whitaker, Jason Kanigan, and Ewen are all contributors that I've pulled from to create these.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      thanks james for another bunch of killer notes

      Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

      When I build my initial script/conversation I typically start with constructing a 20-30 second mini-mercial that is a highly summarized blurb about a pain or two that is typically found within the niche market I intend to call into, as well as my solution to that problem.

      This allows for me to consistently deliver that message over and over so that I can quickly move through enough prospects to find the ones that have an interest. Of those that do, we can move the call forward and continue the sales process.
      I've been working on my USP lately but just found out based on your notes that the elevator pitch is very different as the cold call is niche market and pain specific. That's why it's effective. Hmmm....this is cool.

      Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

      Ok, great. So, what problem do you solve and what is the solution you bring?

      Pain: <business type> is struggling to reach customers through digital media.
      Solution: Generate sales/leads with your...? (come up with something unique!)

      Figure that out then build two versions:

      1. The 20-30 second version is for initially when the decision maker picks up.
      2. An even shorter version that is for when someone firsts picks up.
      Great template mate, thank you so much. I will rework my initial script as I can see now what a shiiite it is lol. Well done.

      Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

      I found my inspiration to my own scripts right here in this Offline section using the search function. Claude Whitaker, Jason Kanigan, and Ewen are all contributors that I've pulled from to create these.
      I will surely check them out. The amount of content here is overwhelming, one clicks something and then again and again, like wikipedia.

      thanks again
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    I don't charge for scripts or advice that'd be a waste of my time and sounds pretty stupid. Iv helped a number of people in PM for free I enjoy talking about sales.. If it's against the rules well I guess that's another story. Like I said the reason I WAS private messaging is because I like people to learn the right way from someone who picks up the phone everyday not from people who have all these theoretical sales techniques they think might work because they sound fancy and some guy in a book or YouTube told you about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246978].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      I don't charge for scripts or advice that'd be a waste of my time and sounds pretty stupid. Iv helped a number of people in PM for free I enjoy talking about sales.. If it's against the rules well I guess that's another story. Like I said the reason I WAS private messaging is because I like people to learn the right way from someone who picks up the phone everyday not from people who have all these theoretical sales techniques they think might work because they sound fancy and some guy in a book or YouTube told you about it.
      ALL the regular contributors in this subforum, which is one of the most valuable in the entire forum IMO, pick up the phone every day.

      Thank you for responding in a civil manner.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10246981].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Macshare
    Unfortunately you've been given bad advice.

    The only script that you should be using when cold calling for website design is the following:


    "Hello, there's no need to tell you my name because you don't care. I am one of the 3-5 calls you will receive today trying to sell you on website services, but I promise you that mine is better because I promise. My service is much better than the other 15-25 people who called you this week and I will prove it by telling you so. So how stupid are you?"

    Take my word for it, I guarantee this will work or your money back!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10247760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by Macshare View Post

      "So how stupid are you?"
      Take my word for it, I guarantee this will work or your money back!
      Thanks for the tip mate but here in the UK that would be a kiss of death for the cold call. Or maybe not. Not sure if I dare to try it out though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10257819].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author digimars
        Okay so here's the result of my work based on the great feedback you guys put up in here.

        Basically I liked the 'little unsure technique' couldn't find it on this forum though. Also Jason's mobile website script wow that's a piece of work!

        http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-marketing/809394-script-when-people-call-mobile-site.html#post8395688

        also interesting which made me think ofperfectionist trap.

        http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-marketing/1055715-my-3-month-cold-calling-test-results-inexperienced-caller-ridiculous-script-results.html

        I thought I'd start with estate agents as they're abundant around here. But the general script as follows:

        #GATE KEEPER

        Hi, it's {MY NAME} speaking. Did you say this is {COMPANY}? / Is this {COMPANY}?
        #yes
        And you are based on {STREET NAME} right?
        #exactly
        I see, that's great. Sorry what was your name again?
        #name
        Hi {GK FIRST NAME}. My name is {MY FIRST NAME}. I was wondering if you could possibly help me out here please as I'm a little unsure who to talk to?
        #sure, whats the matter
        I was actually hoping to have a quick chat with somebody in charge of your website? I was thinking it might be {OWNER FIRST NAME} but wanted to double check with you?
        #regarding?
        To be honest {GK FIRST NAME} I don't know all the details but I was told to catch up with someone in charge of your website as there are apparently some issues. So I was just calling to see whether you are aware of any issues at all and see what I can do to help?
        #told by whom
        Well basically I was told by the analyst here on my side that there are apparently some issues with your website. So I was just calling to see what's going on and if I can help?

        #DECISION MAKER

        #speaking
        Hi {DM FIRST NAME}, it's {MY NAME} speaking. Good time to talk?
        #sort of
        I was actually told to give you guys a call so why don't you let me explain what it is and then you can decide whether it's you I should talk to or maybe someone else?
        #sure
        Well the reason for my call today {DM FIRST NAME} is that I got your details on my table and I only contact companies that I think need my help. So had a look at your website and figured yeah these guys are losing plenty of money. Hence the call. Would that be you or should I talk to someone else?
        #no you can talk to me
        Great. I'll just get straight to the point mate. {DM FIRST NAME}, I help owners like yourself sell more {PRODUCT/SERVICE}. Now the latest trend here in {AREA} shows that mobile use tops desktop and laptop usage for the first time. Further more, you might not be aware, that there's {NUMBER} people looking up your {PRODUCT/SERVICE} every month. You can work it out yourself but this is pretty serious opportunity cost. Would you agree?
        #well yeah
        {DM FIRST NAME}, would you like to learn how to get a slice of these {NUMBER} people a month? I might add I wouldn't charge for such information.
        #really?
        Right the way this works is I usually sit down with owners like yourself, with owners who are serious about making more money and outline what their options are. Furthermore I have a prototype designed to help you understand what the changes would look like. And again this is totally free. Would you be interested in something like that at all?
        #sure thing
        Well then are you around this week?

        If you guys can let me know your thoughts that would be great. I want to hit the line on Monday so plenty of time over the weekend to make some updates.

        I know it's not perfect but the amount of content in here to read and apply is just overwhelming, so apologise if I missed to apply something very important to the script.

        Thanks a million
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10257835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RecessionPROOF
      Originally Posted by Macshare View Post

      Unfortunately you've been given bad advice.

      The only script that you should be using when cold calling for website design is the following:


      "Hello, there's no need to tell you my name because you don't care. I am one of the 3-5 calls you will receive today trying to sell you on website services, but I promise you that mine is better because I promise. My service is much better than the other 15-25 people who called you this week and I will prove it by telling you so. So how stupid are you?"

      Take my word for it, I guarantee this will work or your money back!

      Funny, that has been MO for years, cut to the chase, no decision maker is going to respond with the usual canned BS, a cold call is a cold call, and will be met the same way, as cold, canned, boring, waste of time, so I like your strategy, and yes, it works. I have an even shorter pitch, as long as you have gate keepers name and owners name, cut to the chase, use first names as if they know who you are, works every time, then you can use your short and to the point blurb effectively.


      Success to all,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daniyal100
    I never understand this whole online forums thing,

    There 2 types of people here.. first those who sell hardcore money making courses for 9$ a pop and spend their whole day writing 1000+ words posts to get reputation so that they can sell 1 or 2 a day..
    second ones are the average crowd with absolutely no mind who keep buying these stuff and then realize after a few years that they ******* up and there's no such things and quit.

    Please try get someone in person who you can see doing telemarketing and i can guarantee you'll be amazed.

    Just try it once.

    p.s : I download many of the so called best selling money making methods online and the moment i read it it become crystal clear why the guy claiming you can easily make 10k-100k with this method still sharing this secret to the world for 20 bucks and doing all the hardwork for this.
    I am proud that i never bought anything though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10258400].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by daniyal100 View Post


      Please try get someone in person who you can see doing telemarketing and i can guarantee you'll be amazed.

      Just try it once.
      Thanks for the feedback mate.

      I'd love to but don't know anyone. YT can offer some great examples of cold calling. I'm amazed everytime I watch that.

      Cheers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10258662].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Stawrew
        Great question! Let me start with this: I do not think that cold calling is a good way to generate more business. The business owners you´re calling are most likely dealing with completely other issues at this moment that are much more pressing and important to them.

        There is a high chance that the timing just isn't right and they´ll reject you. Therefore I´m in favor of getting in touch in a less intrusive way, for example by sending them and email or messaging them on LinkedIn.

        Also, when you cold call someone you´re just some "random dude" to them that they don´t know, like and trust and this is IMO the worst position you´d want to be in when you try to close a prospect and charge premium prices.

        It´s way better to do it the way Dan Kennedy is teaching it: by first position yourself as the trusted authority and expert before you even talk to them. Once again, sending them an email or a mail with some case studies, white papers, testimonials etc. that are relevant to them and their situation and inviting them to get in touch or call YOU is the better way to prospect.

        Having said that, if you really want or need to cold call, here is what I´d do:

        First, I´d research the prospects and pick those who are paying lots of money to get traffic (like advertising on Google). Because those businesses would benefit the most from improving their website in a way that increases the conversion rate. They should be interested in talking to you.

        When you call and get the GK, you could simply point out that you´ve been doing some research on the internet for a client and you´ve noticed that they are spending a lot of money to buy traffic. However, you´ve also noticed that lots of the money is wasted because their website, the way it is now, is underperforming.

        Then I´d include some kind of "time constraint", saying something like:

        "I just wanted to call to tell you this, but I have a few minutes right now because I need to move on to another project. So, I was wondering, if I can share with your boss real quick what I´ve noticed and what he needs to improve to make more money?"

        If the GK doesn´t let you talk to the owner, I´d say:

        "No problem ... listen, I´d better sent him a short email so that he can read it at his convenience whenever is a good time for him. What would be a good email to reach him?"

        Then I´d make a short video outlining what needs to be improved and what results he could typically expect (based on your experience with other clients), sent him an email with the link to the video and something like:

        "I hope this helps! If you have questions or need some help, just let me know!"

        That way, if he calls you back or emails you, you´ve been in a much better position - you´ve delivered some value to him up-front, thereby building a relationship, and you positioned yourself as an expert who can and want to help him grow the business.

        If the GK puts you trough, I´d pretty much explain once again that I did a research, stumbled upon his site, noticed that he is probably paying a lot of money for traffic and that the website isn´t really converting as well as it could be.

        Then I´d suggest what to improve (for example, add an opt-in form to collect contact info, or add a conversion pixel to retarget on FB) and what results other clients have been typically seeing when they did it.

        For example, you could say that one for your clients was able to double his business in a moth, just by installing and opt-in form and having an email follow-up sequence (provided that these case studies are true, of course).

        I´d end with: "If you have any questions or need more help, just let me know - I´ll email you my contact information. What is a good email to reach you?"

        Or, if he is very interested, you can just say: "Listen, I just have to move on to another project, but if this is something you´d like us to talk about, let´s schedule a call. ... What would be a good time for you?"

        OK, I hope this helps and maybe you just test this approach to see, if it generates better results for you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259027].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author digimars
          Dude awesome thanks for putting in the time.

          Originally Posted by Stawrew View Post

          ..for example by sending them and email or messaging them on LinkedIn.
          I agree, but based on my experience you might waste a lot of time as even if you call them up to figure out who the DM is you still have to put in some time and dig up an email address or linkedin contact. Linkedin itself can be quite a long process. However I totally agree that some kind of warm up would make me feel much better on the phone. I like the idea of calling up as get the result immediately. Not interested? Next...

          Originally Posted by Stawrew View Post

          position yourself as the trusted authority and expert before you even talk to them
          very interesting but again easier said then done, you know dont get me wrong but in my case i easily fall into the perfectionist's trap, so i think I just wanna get cracking and get comfortable on the phone. great point though

          Originally Posted by Stawrew View Post

          First, I´d research the prospects and pick those who are paying lots of money to get traffic (like advertising on Google). Because those businesses would benefit the most from improving their website in a way that increases the conversion rate. They should be interested in talking to you.
          killer advice, i was actually wondering how to pin point companies that got some budget in place. adwords ha haaa what a hit

          Originally Posted by Stawrew View Post

          you´ve been doing some research on the internet for a client
          updating my script and again..

          and a video review, like it man!

          Very good points there mate. Thanks a lot again!

          I'll soon put this in practice and post how it went.

          Cheers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10259645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SiteSmarty
    Instead of calling prospective clients, why don't you have them call you?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10262966].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
      Originally Posted by SiteSmarty View Post

      Instead of calling prospective clients, why don't you have them call you?
      and how would they call you and why would they want to call you? do you have magic fairy dust you put in the water to make them want to buy your product?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263018].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author animal44
        Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

        and how would they call you and why would they want to call you?
        As a sales god, surely you would know this...?

        How do you sell to people who won't take cold calls?
        Signature

        People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
        What I do for a living

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263393].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
          Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

          As a sales god, surely you would know this...?

          How do you sell to people who won't take cold calls?
          Nope dont know it. I just make calls its the most efficient way to generate new business. If your talking about generating leads online i agree it does work but only in combination with your cold calling campaign. how do i sell people who dont take cold calls? they either call me back or i keep calling until i get ahold of them and get an answer.pretty simple
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264365].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SiteSmarty
        You're kidding right SalesGod? There are many ways but I'm not sure you'd be able to figure it out without a step by step. I'm a kind person so I'll help you start. If you can't figure out how it works I'm sure someone else on here can enlighten you on how to get business owners to call you without pestering them.

        Step 1 - Get a computer or a phone with an internet connection. (Either way you need an internet connection)
        Step 2 - Search the business category you are targeting. (You can use a site called Google. Targeting means focusing specifically on something)
        Step 3 - Grab their URL (That means copy the URL of their site. You'll have to learn that on your own. It's not that difficult to learn.)
        Step 4 - Go to this URL: https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/
        Step 5 - Paste the URL of the site you are targeting into the field where it says Enter a web page URL
        Step 6 - Click Analyze
        Step 7 - Look at what the result returns
        Step 8 - You get green or red. Either way it doesn't matter
        Step 9 - Take a screen shot

        By now you should be realizing the next step. If not, keep cold calling.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10266603].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author digimars
          pretty good, already posted a job to get a freelancer do it for me and i can focus on calls, two birds one stone

          cheers!

          Originally Posted by SiteSmarty View Post

          You're kidding right SalesGod? There are many ways but I'm not sure you'd be able to figure it out without a step by step. I'm a kind person so I'll help you start. If you can't figure out how it works I'm sure someone else on here can enlighten you on how to get business owners to call you without pestering them.

          Step 1 - Get a computer or a phone with an internet connection. (Either way you need an internet connection)
          Step 2 - Search the business category you are targeting. (You can use a site called Google. Targeting means focusing specifically on something)
          Step 3 - Grab their URL (That means copy the URL of their site. You'll have to learn that on your own. It's not that difficult to learn.)
          Step 4 - Go to this URL: https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/
          Step 5 - Paste the URL of the site you are targeting into the field where it says Enter a web page URL
          Step 6 - Click Analyze
          Step 7 - Look at what the result returns
          Step 8 - You get green or red. Either way it doesn't matter
          Step 9 - Take a screen shot

          By now you should be realizing the next step. If not, keep cold calling.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267159].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by SiteSmarty View Post

      Instead of calling prospective clients, why don't you have them call you?
      well i dont have time or money to spend..? whats the secret
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264352].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yvon Boulianne
    That`s all about how fast you need sales what are your resources..

    I found that door to door is a LOT more efficient that cold calling.
    For inboud it`s easy but take more times or a lot more money (sending letters or using facebook ads are good way for that)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263681].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by Yvon Boulianne View Post

      That`s all about how fast you need sales what are your resources..

      I found that door to door is a LOT more efficient that cold calling.
      For inboud it`s easy but take more times or a lot more money (sending letters or using facebook ads are good way for that)
      how do you find the doors mate? i mean high street shops tell you they dont need you as their sales are generated by retail and office buildings are guarder by a reception....

      cheers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264358].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author digimars
        btw how can you make 100 calls a day?

        today I just tried to make 1 yeah, i know funny, but one step at a time...so i went to google maps found some restaurant around, checked which one is neither responsive nor adaptive and called them up. had a chat he was on alert as soon as I said 'can i have a chat with somebody who is responsible for the website' and got only an email for head office with a note they prob wont reply. then googled the email found out it's a holding not just one pub and will prob have to follow that up hard to get in touch with someone.

        the point being, not a chance to do this 100 times in one day...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264364].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
          Originally Posted by digimars View Post


          had a chat he was on alert as soon as I said 'can i have a chat with somebody who is responsible for the website' and got only an email for head office with a note they prob wont reply.
          I prefer Ewenmack's approach when talking with 1st person that picks up the phone...

          "Who should I talk with about bringing your restaurant <insert your unique selling proposition>?"

          I don't call into restaurants but I'd probably just keep it simple and say "more sales", "high quality leads" (Claude Whitaker's approach) or something to that effect --- if that is what your website building does (I really don't know). I don't offer web development so my exact approach/USP is a bit different.

          You can segue into website mumbo-jumbo later but doing that so early on is likely going to get lots of closed doors/ears (just my own experience).


          btw how can you make 100 calls a day?
          scrape business names and numbers with local lead miner, export to .csv, open in MS Excel, clean list, turn on Skype add-in, then click numbers to start dialing. I'm doing probably 25-40 an hour depending upon how many conversations I get into (some days are better than others).

          Bottom line: I just don't worry about the one's who'd never buy no matter what you might say or try to convince, move on and find those that have a need and the money to pay what I'm asking.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264575].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author digimars
            Originally Posted by jamesfreddyc View Post

            scrape business names and numbers with local lead miner, export to .csv, open in MS Excel, clean list, turn on Skype add-in, then click numbers to start dialing. I'm doing probably 25-40 an hour depending upon how many conversations I get into (some days are better than others).
            cheers mate, great feedback. what do you mean by ' local lead miner', mr google says it's a SW but never heard about it. 25-40 calls? heck, that's like 2 min a call...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267146].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
              Originally Posted by digimars View Post

              cheers mate, great feedback. what do you mean by ' local lead miner', mr google says it's a SW but never heard about it. 25-40 calls? heck, that's like 2 min a call...
              LLM is a software application you install on your computer.

              That 25-40 number are "dials". It fluctuates based upon how many conversations i get into. It drops more when i get into product demonstrations as I'm obviously spending time with those prospects.

              Its also very niche-dependent because i might be calling into a type of business where the decision maker is normally there at specific times and therefore i will get lots of callback items and quickly going thru lots of dials.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267305].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
      Originally Posted by Yvon Boulianne View Post

      That`s all about how fast you need sales what are your resources..

      I found that door to door is a LOT more efficient that cold calling.
      For inboud it`s easy but take more times or a lot more money (sending letters or using facebook ads are good way for that)
      hows door knocking more efficient? i make 300 phone calls a day. let me ask you this, how many doors can you knock in 8 hours?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10264368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    Nope have no idea what the next step is and don't care to find out. sounds like I could make 5 calls by the time you enter one URL or whatever your trying to do. The only people that don't cold call are the ones that are afraid to because anyone who actually picks up the phone knows how effective it can be. So I assume your going to send a business owner something via email or something right? How long will it take them to respond? If they respond at all. 30 minutes an hour? A couple days? But most likely they won't respond to you at all because your selling something and they can just ignore it as soon as they see it's a advertisement. With that being said I can potentially make 50-300 calls and be closin all day before you even get a response. After that response you still have to get on the phone and close so why not just start on the phone? Guys theirs no way around it if you want to be successful you need to be a man pick up the phone and call. Stop looking for "short cuts"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10266631].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author animal44
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      The only people that don't cold call are the ones that are afraid to because anyone who actually picks up the phone knows how effective it can be.
      Nope. I don't cold call because I don't have to...

      When you want a date, do you cold call random women from the phone book...?
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      Guys theirs no way around it if you want to be successful you need to be a man pick up the phone and call. Stop looking for "short cuts"
      Yes, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs all cold called all the time...

      OP, the link in my sig is a free blog entry, nothing to buy, no kindle books, no consultancy, no mentoring, no WSOs, nothing whatsoever to buy. Feel free to use the info as you see fit...
      Signature

      People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
      What I do for a living

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10266803].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author digimars
        Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

        OP, the link in my sig is a free blog entry, nothing to buy, no kindle books, no consultancy, no mentoring, no WSOs, nothing whatsoever to buy. Feel free to use the info as you see fit...
        cheers pretty good, but again, easier said then done, just to find an accountant willing to team up is hard. i tried to team up with one offering free branding to all their new clients, but their excitement about this deal put me off utterly
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267179].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jamesfreddyc
          Originally Posted by digimars View Post

          cheers pretty good, but again, easier said then done, just to find an accountant willing to team up is hard. i tried to team up with one offering free branding to all their new clients, but their excitement about this deal put me off utterly
          ONE?

          You need several in that part of your sales process to present the idea, answer questions, address concerns, and build enough trust (or whatever they need) to begin doing business together.

          Up your number of dials to locate the few accountants that would be a good match for you.

          Your problem is not finding ONE, your problem is that your calender is empty of planned dialing sessions, callbacks, presentations, follow up meetings, etc...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267335].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
        Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

        Nope. I don't cold call because I don't have to...

        When you want a date, do you cold call random women from the phone book...?

        Yes, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs all cold called all the time...

        OP, the link in my sig is a free blog entry, nothing to buy, no kindle books, no consultancy, no mentoring, no WSOs, nothing whatsoever to buy. Feel free to use the info as you see fit...
        You might be surprised at the number of successful people who started their empires by making cold calls. Tim Ferris comes to mind.
        Signature
        Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
        - Jack Trout
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10278264].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author animal44
          Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

          You might be surprised at the number of successful people who started their empires by making cold calls. Tim Ferris comes to mind.
          So why aren't they cold calling today...? Perhaps they learnt something...
          Signature

          People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
          What I do for a living

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10279880].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
          Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

          You might be surprised at the number of successful people who started their empires by making cold calls. Tim Ferris comes to mind.
          Joe,

          I remember reading about Richard Branson coming home
          on a Friday, to find his banker waiting for him. The bank
          was calling his loan due.

          He owed millions of dollars.

          What did he do to solve the problem?

          He got on the phone and cold called.

          He spent the entire weekend calling every bank he could
          think of, to try and arrange a new loan that would cover
          the debt. He had no relationship with the parties he was
          calling. These were true cold calls.

          He had no fear of calling business people he'd never met
          because he was used to it.

          Cold calling is normal and natural for business people.
          It's as normal and natural as having a business name.

          Can you imagine Dan Kennedy or Jay Abraham being afraid
          to pick up the phone and call? Can you imagine any of the
          Sharktank sharks running a business with no phone, so that
          they don't have to talk to strangers?

          Wooooo Scary!!

          Probably not a good idea to use well known business people
          like Branson, Trump and others, to try and make a point against
          cold calling.

          A little bit of online research will tell anyone that they thrive on it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10280370].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
            Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post


            Probably not a good idea to use well known business people
            like Branson, Trump and others, to try and make a point against
            cold calling.

            A little bit of online research will tell anyone that they thrive on it.
            Back in the day a guy named Harold Geneen ran ITT, a major corporation. He was famous for his workload, never taking time to relax. Someone asked him if he would be better off using some leisure time to make contacts and build relationships. He said "If I want to talk to someone, I pick up the phone and call them."

            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Geneen
            Signature
            Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
            - Jack Trout
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10280505].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author animal44
            Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

            I remember reading about Richard Branson coming home
            on a Friday, to find his banker waiting for him. The bank
            was calling his loan due.

            He owed millions of dollars.

            What did he do to solve the problem?

            He got on the phone and cold called.

            He spent the entire weekend calling every bank he could
            think of, to try and arrange a new loan that would cover
            the debt. He had no relationship with the parties he was
            calling. These were true cold calls.
            Branson's business was records. He wasn't cold calling random people to sell his records. And he still doesn't cold call people to sell airline seats. So why is it that people on this forum are so adamant that it's the best way to get business...?

            As for it being a cold call, I'll bet you every banker he called knew who he was... If Branson phoned me, I'd probably take the call, even back then... I won't take a call from OP or Ron Lafuddy (no offense )
            Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

            He had no fear of calling business people he'd never met
            because he was used to it.
            This fear thing keeps coming up as if it's the sole reason people don't cold call. If I have a need, as Branson did in your story, then I'll pick up the phone. However, I know picking up the phone to beg people for business is the most inefficient way of getting business, period. I value my time.

            Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

            Can you imagine Dan Kennedy or Jay Abraham being afraid
            to pick up the phone and call? Can you imagine any of the
            Sharktank sharks running a business with no phone, so that
            they don't have to talk to strangers?
            The same Dan Kennedy who publishes and advocates Magnetic Marketing...? The same Jay Abraham that said if he was only allowed one method of marketing, it would be the Endorsed Mailing (a form of JV)...?

            Do you think these guys know something...?
            Signature

            People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
            What I do for a living

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10283349].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      i'd agree with salesgod, i tried loads of channels but it all takes time, you cant beat in person and phone i think

      here's quite a nice visualisation, i think sending out email is advertising based on the image below



      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      Nope have no idea what the next step is and don't care to find out. sounds like I could make 5 calls by the time you enter one URL or whatever your trying to do. The only people that don't cold call are the ones that are afraid to because anyone who actually picks up the phone knows how effective it can be. So I assume your going to send a business owner something via email or something right? How long will it take them to respond? If they respond at all. 30 minutes an hour? A couple days? But most likely they won't respond to you at all because your selling something and they can just ignore it as soon as they see it's a advertisement. With that being said I can potentially make 50-300 calls and be closin all day before you even get a response. After that response you still have to get on the phone and close so why not just start on the phone? Guys theirs no way around it if you want to be successful you need to be a man pick up the phone and call. Stop looking for "short cuts"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10267170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
    I only have one thing to add to this great thread....

    SalesGod... paragraphs. Learn them, use them.
    Signature
    Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10277128].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BillyParadise
    digimars, just a peanut gallery post here - it's been 19 days since you started this thread. How many calls have you made?


    Just start with a small "must call" number. Don't let a business day pass without making this number. And like push-ups, increase the reps gradually. Soon you'll be doing a few solid hours a day, and will easily hit 100 calls a day.

    Also, remember - you're panning for gold. Don't try to turn the mud and rocks into gold. Just move past it.

    I was recently going through Belfort's SLP course (summary here: Straight Line Persuasion System Jordon Belfort "Complete" Notes Review) with some new agents, and he mentioned the "a lot" number - the number of calls you need to make a day to hit your financial goals.

    Not sure what your number is?

    Figure out how much you make per sale.
    Figure out how many sales you need to make to get to your number.
    Divide it by 50 weeks - you can't sell over Christmas
    So how many sales a week do you need?

    From there, the calculation is dependent on you and your results, but for the purposes of this post, just assume you'll close 1 out of 100 people you call.

    There's you number. Start calling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10278031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author digimars
      Originally Posted by BillyParadise View Post

      digimars, just a peanut gallery post here - it's been 19 days since you started this thread. How many calls have you made?
      ha ha peanut gallery, well put, like that you are right I'm yet to take the action. I called 1 restaurant since I created this post. I know shaaaaame...

      Originally Posted by BillyParadise View Post

      Just start with a small "must call" number. Don't let a business day pass without making this number. And like push-ups, increase the reps gradually. Soon you'll be doing a few solid hours a day, and will easily hit 100 calls a day.
      hmmm something seriously clever about this....very good approach.... i was actually making excuses again as you guys gave me some ideas and was working on adwords and hiring freelancer for cold emailing...all the landing pages and setting up...6 quid per click...just excuses...there's nothing more effective then call people up..I learnt from experience

      Originally Posted by BillyParadise View Post

      I was recently going through Belfort's SLP course (summary here: Straight Line Persuasion System Jordon Belfort "Complete" Notes Review) with some new agents, and he mentioned the "a lot" number - the number of calls you need to make a day to hit your financial goals.
      Belfort is a true machine, saw some stuff on YT very powerful, this guy is jacked up like crazy, he said he was selling mortgages with a friend or something, his friend got kicked out of a jewellery store and he walked in there and closed it..man...sharp as a tuck..that's what he keeps saying

      Originally Posted by BillyParadise View Post

      Not sure what your number is?
      Not sure who to call, was thinking local restaurants and estate agents to start with, but need to sit down first and dig up some numbers, then in the morning when Im telling myself maaan you need to pick up the phone...then the excuse is easy...first need to get the numbers..i know you can just sit down find one and call...but

      Originally Posted by BillyParadise View Post

      There's you number. Start calling.
      What a feedback really that's what I need a proper kick in mi arse! I must say I'm fighting myself more than the lack of knowledge. I'm new in the city, no family, no friends, working from my room (flat share) it's demoralizing. Gotta get out to hang out with some killers get a breath of fresh air.

      Cheers!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10280811].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author strategicprofits
    I've cold called for web design clients years ago. I honestly didn't like it. Have you tried direct mail? It can be very effective in my experience...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10281043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mairsol
    i agree with Jason you should try to speak with the relevent person ASAP .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10285500].message }}

Trending Topics