Marketing Ideas for a lawn company

19 replies
Hi All!


This is my first post, so please forgive me if it's against any forum rules.




I own and operate a small lawn service, we are considered a "mow-n-go" company. Over the last 4 years, I have had great growth, but am ready for it to blow up.


Past marketing has consisted of lawn signs on busy roads, flyers (actually really postcards) placed in doors, pens, Frisbees at dog parks, SEO (which I need help with).


I'm looking into ideas for 2016 as I feel like for the money I'm spending I'm not getting the return. I have designed everything myself, which I know is the majority of the problem. I'm looking for you, the pro's, to help me out.


Thanks!!!
#company #ideas #lawn #marketing
  • You can try Craigslist & Backpage to generate leads at no cost for your business.. I hope this will help..
    Signature

    Outsource 2 Freelancers is a top Craigslist Posting Service across United States.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10330957].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
      Thanks!


      I have some ad's currently running on craigslist. Is backpage a popular site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10330992].message }}
      • Originally Posted by lawnfanatic View Post

        Thanks!


        I have some ad's currently running on craigslist. Is backpage a popular site?
        Not as good as Craigslist is.. but can help in generating some traffic..
        Signature

        Outsource 2 Freelancers is a top Craigslist Posting Service across United States.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331054].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
          Originally Posted by outsource2freelancers View Post

          Not as good as Craigslist is.. but can help in generating some traffic..


          Thanks! I'll be sure and throw some ad's on it, wish me luck!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roger h
    Ewen Mack would be the right warrior to contact for Lawn Maintenance marketing ideas - in fact, any marketing. Look him up, you'll be glad you did.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
      Originally Posted by roger h View Post

      Ewen Mack would be the right warrior to contact for Lawn Maintenance marketing ideas - in fact, any marketing. Look him up, you'll be glad you did.
      Thanks Roger.

      Yes indeed, I've had over a decade of experience in building
      and selling lawnmowing businesses.

      Best,
      Doctor E. Vile
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331033].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
        Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

        Thanks Roger.

        Yes indeed, I've had over a decade of experience in building
        and selling lawnmowing businesses.

        Best,
        Doctor E. Vile


        Ewen you seem to be the pro at this! I spent the last few hours reading older threads and your name has popped up a lot.




        Do you have any marketing 'tricks' or tips for a lawn business? I'm mainly looking to pick up mowing customers.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmericanMuscleTA
    Be different than all the other lawn guys... Offer prospects a free cut with no strings attached just to try you out.

    Then, when you finish, show them your work you just did on their lawn and and tell them you'd like to schedule them as a preferred customer and set the appointment.
    Signature

    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tigerbait
    No offense, craigslist sucks for lawn service unless you like wasting time running around giving bids to mainly crappy overgrown yards - not to mention most folks there will be price shopping. The heck with that noise.

    Have you ever tried sticky notes? You say you've created most of your marketing material, if you know how to use photoshop, I'll send you my PSD file and you can rip it off if you want.

    The idea is that its quick & easy compared to dropping door hangers, BC you just slap it on the door and head to the next house.

    In the beginning of the year you can blanket the neighborhoods you want to target with them.

    Once the season starts, pick your best routes or all of them, and after you load up, sticky a dozen or so homes right there around your current customers - about 5-10 minutes time. This will help tighten your route so you won't be loading and unloading all day.

    Huge fan of sticky notes. I think I bought 2000 for $40 bucks. So they are super cheap.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave147
    With a Lawn Care Service - Don't wait for people to search for you. You should get directly into their homes and continue to do so. Have you tried flyers using a mail delivery service?

    With a flyer you're in the home and it reminds people about their lawn - If your flyer/offer is good enough you should be able to generate immediate responses and the flyer will remain in the home for a longer period.
    Signature

    How to Create Your Own Wealth and Success
    $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10331223].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
      Originally Posted by tigerbait View Post

      No offense, craigslist sucks for lawn service unless you like wasting time running around giving bids to mainly crappy overgrown yards - not to mention most folks there will be price shopping. The heck with that noise.

      Have you ever tried sticky notes? You say you've created most of your marketing material, if you know how to use photoshop, I'll send you my PSD file and you can rip it off if you want.

      The idea is that its quick & easy compared to dropping door hangers, BC you just slap it on the door and head to the next house.

      In the beginning of the year you can blanket the neighborhoods you want to target with them.

      Once the season starts, pick your best routes or all of them, and after you load up, sticky a dozen or so homes right there around your current customers - about 5-10 minutes time. This will help tighten your route so you won't be loading and unloading all day.

      Huge fan of sticky notes. I think I bought 2000 for $40 bucks. So they are super cheap.

      tigerbait I LOVE that idea of using sticky notes!! I'll have to create one to use. Can you send me your PSD file so I can check it out? I think this would be a perfect idea to hit houses next to pre-existing customers.

      Originally Posted by dave147 View Post

      With a Lawn Care Service - Don't wait for people to search for you. You should get directly into their homes and continue to do so. Have you tried flyers using a mail delivery service?

      With a flyer you're in the home and it reminds people about their lawn - If your flyer/offer is good enough you should be able to generate immediate responses and the flyer will remain in the home for a longer period.


      I thought about EDDM, but it just seems too expensive. Not to mention I've heard the horror stories of some post offices not even knowing how the program works. I want to continue to flyer areas, but I think a main problem would be my design. I'd love to work with someone who can help me create a great marketing piece.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10332076].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dave147
        Originally Posted by lawnfanatic View Post

        I thought about EDDM, but it just seems too expensive. Not to mention I've heard the horror stories of some post offices not even knowing how the program works. I want to continue to flyer areas, but I think a main problem would be my design. I'd love to work with someone who can help me create a great marketing piece.
        Not necessarily EDDM via the post office, I mean independent flyer delivery services
        that deliver to areas for 0.05 per flyer.
        Signature

        How to Create Your Own Wealth and Success
        $500.00 in FREE Advertising For You Here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10333190].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
          Originally Posted by dave147 View Post

          Not necessarily EDDM via the post office, I mean independent flyer delivery services
          that deliver to areas for 0.05 per flyer.


          2 years ago I tried to hire companies to flyer areas for me. One was myflyerguys.com. They were not a local company, but I went with my gut and hired them anyway. They took my $1200 and ran. I fought the charge on my credit card, but lost.


          After that, I searched for a local company, and hired them. Same thing....they took my $1200 and ran. I was lucky enough to get that money back.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10333290].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mojo1
            I saw the following statement on a lawn truck recently:

            We're working in your neighborhood and giving discounts today.

            The message was displayed on the tailgate door section of a pickup.

            Of course there company info was listed but that was a cool call to action, encouraging
            neighbors to engage the lawn company.

            I've never seen this type of messaging in lawn care...pretty impressive.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10334816].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
              Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

              I saw the following statement on a lawn truck recently:

              We're working in your neighborhood and giving discounts today.

              The message was displayed on the tailgate door section of a pickup.

              Of course there company info was listed but that was a cool call to action, encouraging
              neighbors to engage the lawn company.

              I've never seen this type of messaging in lawn care...pretty impressive.




              Wow, that's pretty impressive! I think I may come up with something like that.


              I was completely against discounts, but after reading threads after threads after threads, it seems like discounts would be a great way to lure customers in? Or say, sweetin' the deal?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10334966].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
                Originally Posted by lawnfanatic View Post


                I was completely against discounts, but after reading threads after threads after threads, it seems like discounts would be a great way to lure customers in? Or say, sweetin' the deal?
                The best clients aren't looking for discounts or deals,
                therefore you were right the first time.

                Best,
                Doctor E. Vile
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10334993].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author lawnfanatic
                  Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

                  The best clients aren't looking for discounts or deals,
                  therefore you were right the first time.

                  Best,
                  Doctor E. Vile


                  What has worked well for you in the past? Are you currently out of the green industry?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10335013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jessegilbert
    I saw some great ads from copywriting experts about improving curbside appeal of home.
    Powerwashing Flyers that took business from zero to ,202 per month :: Kopywriting Kourse



    Hope that helps. the copy and the strategy can probably get you the customers.
    Signature
    ThermoNuclear Branding: The #1 Fastest Way To Improve Your Marketing: http://www.BrainstormPro.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10335204].message }}

Trending Topics