Watch me set an appointment up with a tough SEO prospect. - VIDEO

21 replies
This is from my first day cold calling for SEO agencies to set appointments. Prospect hit me with about 6 objections, I had rebuttals ready for most of them in my script but had to come up with responses for a few. If you are interested in using the script, shoot me a PM, I can give you a copy for free.

Watch the video on YouTube here.
#appointment #prospect #seo #set #tough #video #watch
  • Profile picture of the author mojo1
    Originally Posted by elijahharry View Post

    This is from my first day cold calling for SEO agencies to set appointments. Prospect hit me with about 6 objections, I had rebuttals ready for most of them in my script but had to come up with responses for a few. If you are interested in using the script, shoot me a PM, I can give you a copy for free.

    Watch the video on YouTube here.

    Good on ya for staying the course and remaining focused.

    How many calls and appointments did you make on your first day?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10465393].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
      Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

      How many calls and appointments did you make on your first day?
      I'm not calling for myself, I'm calling for other agencies and making $50 per appointment set. I made around 25 calls and set up 6 appointments.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10465593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bananapeel
    awesome, MOAR pls
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10465788].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HunteA
      If that's truly your first day making calls and at $50 per appointment... extremely well done.

      You stayed on the call when it became uncomfortable with the objections he gave you.
      You have a great future if you keep building your skill-set up.

      I'm reluctant to offer advice or feedback but it's worth mentioning from an experienced perspective that there were a few occasions like where the guy mentioned he gets call's all the time and being burned, where you could have probed with a question to get him talking rather than rebutting. This would build up more trust to get a better chance of him honoring the appointment and becoming a sale.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10465831].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
        I have some sales experience; however, this was just my first day selling for SEO. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to work that into the script. If any other tips come to mind I'd love to hear them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466545].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michael Nguyen
          Originally Posted by elijahharry View Post

          I have some sales experience; however, this was just my first day selling for SEO. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to work that into the script. If any other tips come to mind I'd love to hear them.
          Lock in the appointment by saying

          "is there any reason why you couldn't make the appointment? "

          With this call you may have bull dozed him into an appointment so be aware which is a hot or warm lead.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466640].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author John Durham
            Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

            Lock in the appointment by saying

            "is there any reason why you couldn't make the appointment? "

            With this call you may have bull dozed him into an appointment so be aware which is a hot or warm lead.
            was gonna quit the WF earlier but couldnt cancel my account, I suppose its a good thing... That mood passed and I was sorry later... To address this irresistible thought;

            The classic idea here (which is true) is that "If a guy can be bulldozed into an appointment, then he can also be bulldozed into a sale". It's true. It's not the way I do it personally, but call center managers have forced me to be that way in the past, and it's just an absolute truth.

            That being said... Elijah is text book perfect, and I agree with another caller that he is going to be real valuable to himself for developing these skills.... He will find easier ways than bulldozing, but he's willing to do it without flinching.... That's champion behavior.

            He will be the kind ten years from now who could push his way through a brick wall, and is, even now, that. However, for putting himself through the disciplin of being textbook and subordinating himself to classic principles.... He will also become a person through this who can eventually just walk through the brick wall without even breaking anything....

            It's okay to be like a bull in a China shop... Most people dont have the nerve to be that.... but again, through this.... he will hone skills that allow him to do it like "Nothin but net" later. Some will never develop that, because they dont have the forsight to understand what they are doing for themselves when they put themselves through this kind of training and disciplin.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466683].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
            Originally Posted by Michael Nguyen View Post

            Lock in the appointment by saying

            "is there any reason why you couldn't make the appointment?"

            With this call you may have bull dozed him into an appointment so be aware which is a hot or warm lead.
            Thanks for the advice, but there are numerous ways to lock in an appointment. If you re-watch the video, I could sense that the prospect was still edgy, so I threw a line in there after the prospects hesitantly agreed. Once I say that line his tone completely changes. After that, once I asked him if he needed any of the info repeated and he replied with "Yes, the phone number" I knew he was fully engaged and actually going to write down the information.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
      I'll try to get another video up next week.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremiah Walsh
    This is Grade A+ goodness.

    Good for you for making it work. That's $350 in your pocket for only 25 dials and no heavy lifting.

    Next time make 50 calls. If you keep the same statistics you are making some crazy income dollars.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10465893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Dig your body language and hand movements...when you are talking... They arent seen to the prospect, but they affect the way you communicate. You are all in.

    I use to take peoples chairs away from them and make them stand up and talk till they got a sale when they were slumping, sometimes. Body language helps. Get yourself into it... Good stuff.

    Couldn't resist applauding this young man!

    Elijah is taking a higher energy approach, but, even if you are taking the "Lazy executive" approach. Be all into that... Yawn in your seat and be the lazy executive... (Deliberately and in a calculated way) Commit yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466692].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
      Thanks a lot for the kind words man. I really enjoyed calling for SEO sales because it's such a tough and competitive sell, I can't wait to hit it hard again on Monday. The best way to learn and get better is through challenging work like this, which was one of my main motivators for setting these appointments - the experience alone is invaluable.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466703].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by elijahharry View Post

        Thanks a lot for the kind words man. I really enjoyed calling for SEO sales because it's such a tough and competitive sell, I can't wait to hit it hard again on Monday. The best way to learn and get better is through challenging work like this, which was one of my main motivators for setting these appointments - the experience alone is invaluable.
        You have some great motivations. Money is good, but so is self development. If you are into it equally for both... You are not only going to make money, but probably will help alot of other people grow as well.

        Happy New Year Elijah. It's gonna be a great one!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10466708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
    Nice. One suggestion: change the wording on your basic package from salesmen to salesperson.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10467130].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
      Originally Posted by joe golfer View Post

      Nice. One suggestion: change the wording on your basic package from salesmen to salesperson.
      Thank you. I turned off the ability to purchase a package for some time (you can still sign up for a free trial) because my partner and I want to set up appointments for SEO agencies within the next month or so in an effort to gain a decent amount of SEO sales experience.

      Once we know we can confidently sell SEO I'll re enable checkout, I just want to make sure that if agencies need help selling with our leads we can genuinely help them or refer them to some videos of successful appointment sets with our leads.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timpears
    I wish I could understand what you said, and your prospect. My hearing is not that good so I missed half of what you said.
    Signature

    Tim Pears

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468388].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
      Originally Posted by timpears View Post

      I wish I could understand what you said, and your prospect. My hearing is not that good so I missed half of what you said.
      Very sorry about that. Next time I make a call and record it I'll use direct audio from my computer and microphone - I'll work on adding subtitles in the meantime.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    Advice

    1- stop saying the word "but"
    When you start your rebuttal. " I understand Mr._____ but ......" That's a killer. It comes off as argumentative. Use "however" or "and" when transitioning.

    2- you sound completely scripted, try not to sound like your reading off a peice of paper. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

    3. You come off to strong in the intro. Introduce yourself first before you start pitching. It makes you sounds like a robot.

    4- I clicked off before the end. Did you set the appointment? If so good job you can tweak some things and dramatically improve your closing ratio.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468575].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elijahharry
      Originally Posted by SalesGod View Post

      Advice

      1- stop saying the word "but"
      When you start your rebuttal. " I understand Mr._____ but ......" That's a killer. It comes off as argumentative. Use "however" or "and" when transitioning.

      2- you sound completely scripted, try not to sound like your reading off a peice of paper. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

      3. You come off to strong in the intro. Introduce yourself first before you start pitching. It makes you sounds like a robot.

      4- I clicked off before the end. Did you set the appointment? If so good job you can tweak some things and dramatically improve your closing ratio.
      1- Great advice, changing the script right now, thanks a ton.

      2- Sorry about that, it was my first day setting appointments for SEO agencies and using the script.

      3- Definitely, after using the script for a day I discussed that with my partner. We were asking personal questions way too soon, need to build some rapport first.

      4- Yes, I did.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468734].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
        Originally Posted by elijahharry View Post

        1- Great advice, changing the script right now, thanks a ton.

        2- Sorry about that, it was my first day setting appointments for SEO agencies and using the script.

        3- Definitely, after using the script for a day I discussed that with my partner. We were asking personal questions way too soon, need to build some rapport first.

        4- Yes, I did.
        Great to hear. If I could say 1 thing that's a must have when cold calling among everything else is confidence,you need to project absolute confidence and come off as a figure if authority in your voice, this is more important then the actual words your saying and it looks like you have confidence in your voice so your off to a good start.

        If you tweak your script like I said and bring your tone down to a less scripted sounding level and sound more like a actual person they can connect with I think you can become a killer. It all comes with having the script memorized and internalized.

        Keep calling build your business, hire callers, charge more for appointments, rent a space and expand. This is a very lucrative path your going down.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10469318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrea Rillo
    I like the fact that you expose yourself and your call in order to receive advices and re-listen to yourself to have a self-feedback.
    I can say now that I have years of experience in cold calling and in contacting and talking with prospects so here are my advices.

    The problems in my opinion are :
    1- The voice it's too much similar to a call-center agent, with the usual "happy voice" which reminds me much of all the boring calls business owners receives about useless things that many call centers sell.
    2- You are too fast while talking. I'm not sure that the business owner even got the 30% of what you said.
    3- I don't like the content of the call. You would have catched much more his attention grabbing a few datas from keyword planner and told him that there are "x amount of searches" for his kind of business in his area and he could have get much more clients through a good ranking and so on.
    4- The voice is too loud and femminile (I don't know if "femminile" is a word,lol, trying to italianize english).
    With that I mean that you should make or try to make a more male voice. Male and deep voices gives more confidence to people and let them recognize a sort of "power" in the person who is speaking.
    That's not an offense, I had this problem too a few years ago.
    5- You sounded completely scripted. It's obvious that you are reading a text from the voice. Again, much more easier to close a call of this type.

    Can you tell me what's your current conversion rate from the calls or what's the "lead" rate from the calls you make? I'm always curious to know others numbers.

    Hope these advices helps you out.
    Still a good job anyway for taking action.
    Andrea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10468911].message }}

Trending Topics