New Homeowner Direct Mail

15 replies
For a local business, I read this as a good marketing idea to send direct mail to new homeowners in the area and just introduce our practice etc. I thought this was a good idea, but at the same time I'm sure new home owners are inundated with this type of mail.

Anyone have experience doing this or similar?
#direct #homeowner #mail
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    If others are doing it, it's likely because it works. I think it's a good idea. Of course, it all comes down to the message and what you're offering. I wonder if you could reach out to similar businesses in an area that isn't competition for you and get some best practices from them. Maybe take them out to lunch, form a relationship, and pick their brain. Or maybe someone here will have direct experience. Good luck with it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849299].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TaxMaster
      Originally Posted by umc View Post

      If others are doing it, it's likely because it works. I think it's a good idea. Of course, it all comes down to the message and what you're offering. I wonder if you could reach out to similar businesses in an area that isn't competition for you and get some best practices from them. Maybe take them out to lunch, form a relationship, and pick their brain. Or maybe someone here will have direct experience. Good luck with it!
      Thanks for that, the article I read said the guy converted about 5% which would be enough for me to make a good profit. I just imagined stockpiled mail though to new homeowners when it was brought up to me.

      I was thinking of doing something simple like a post card, direct and to the point and it's much cheaper and better odds of them seeing the ad then opening anything.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    Yep, postcards are great for that, and I've seen stats that you can expect a 1-5% response rate on them, so at 5% it sounds like the response is good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bob ross
    New homewners are outstanding prospects and good for a tax prep business to introduce themselves. (assuming that's what you do).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10849782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
    It's funny what works for some businesses.

    Met a gal who owns a local tax service. She sends out a letter with her business card and a fridge magnet, to new arrivals in the area. She says the magnet works like crazy as a reminder of her service. People see it again and again as they go to the refrigerator and call her because of it.

    Ya can't argue with success.

    Ron
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850025].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mojo1
      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      It's funny what works for some businesses.

      Met a gal who owns a local tax service. She sends out a letter with her business card and a fridge magnet, to new arrivals in the area. She says the magnet works like crazy as a reminder of her service. People see it again and again as they go to the refrigerator and call her because of it.

      Ya can't argue with success.

      Ron
      You've just laid out a fantastic business blueprint. I can't believe I didn't
      think of this niche before for magnets.

      I've had some success selling ad spots for magnets in the past but hated the main client I've used as the anchor. Talk about pain in the you know what.

      However, tax professionals would be ideal and probably more than open to the possibilities of both free and more permanent advertising. Thanks Ron!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850186].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

        You've just laid out a fantastic business blueprint. I can't believe I didn't
        think of this niche before for magnets.

        I've had some success selling ad spots for magnets in the past but hated the main client I've used as the anchor. Talk about pain in the you know what.

        However, tax professionals would be ideal and probably more than open to the possibilities of both free and more permanent advertising. Thanks Ron!
        I can tell you this, if you pick your advertisers well, the job is a whole lot easier. You can charge more money. There's no stress. They are happy to be in the program and will refer others to you.

        Kick everyone else, who doesn't fit that description, to the curb - fast.

        The tax lady I spoke of is a great person, but she's also a bit close minded.

        That's ok.

        I could have shared with her how to really crank up the response she was getting, but the interest isn't there and I'm ok with that.

        I smiled, thanked her for the conversation and moved on.

        Everybody's happy.

        Ron
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850409].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TaxMaster
          Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

          I can tell you this, if you pick your advertisers well, the job is a whole lot easier. You can charge more money. There's no stress. They are happy to be in the program and will refer others to you.

          Kick everyone else, who doesn't fit that description, to the curb - fast.

          The tax lady I spoke of is a great person, but she's also a bit close minded.

          That's ok.

          I could have shared with her how to really crank up the response she was getting, but the interest isn't there and I'm ok with that.

          I smiled, thanked her for the conversation and moved on.

          Everybody's happy.

          Ron

          Well I'd certainly be interested in hearing your additional ideas Ron I'm looking for ways to expand our reach. We are the only local firm that now offers a website to upload documents, make payments and the like. I have to say, accountants as a group are generally not the most innovative or ready to step outside the box, Especially those who have been doing it for decades, and that is exactly why I am ready to lead the way with innovation.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850414].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mojo1
            Originally Posted by TaxMaster View Post

            Well I'd certainly be interested in hearing your additional ideas Ron I'm looking for ways to expand our reach. We are the only local firm that now offers a website to upload documents, make payments and the like. I have to say, accountants as a group are generally not the most innovative or ready to step outside the box, Especially those who have been doing it for decades, and that is exactly why I am ready to lead the way with innovation.
            Who is your target market and are you primarily servicing that group already?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850485].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TaxMaster
              Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

              Who is your target market and are you primarily servicing that group already?
              All taxpayers essentially. However the ones who are more likely to use an accounting firm are higher net worth individuals and businesses. And yes we already service about 1000 clients locally.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850504].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author DABK
                You'd be better off if you narrowed it down more. Easier to market yourself to them and easier for you to deliver, if you're a small(ish) outfit.

                If you are a large outfit, you should still segment in your marketing.

                "Accounting firm specializing in mortgage brokers" much more likely to get mortgage brokers interested... Especially if the marketing piece talks about how you understand how mortgage brokers are regulated and can produce audited financials just like the State Examiner wants them. (Yes, any accountant worth their worth should be able to do that. But not all of them have done it, so me, the mortgage broker, am going to breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not the first one you're trying this on.)

                We work with roofing companies and have developed a system that simplifies the process, reducing the time roofing companies have to spend on xyz.

                Not an accountant, but I got my accountant for my now-defunct appraisal company because he had appraisal companies as clients and I understood that to mean he'd understand my needs better than the others I interviewed. (Turns out, small appraisal companies don't have special needs, just think they do. Still, it worked for him!)

                Originally Posted by TaxMaster View Post

                All taxpayers essentially. However the ones who are more likely to use an accounting firm are higher net worth individuals and businesses. And yes we already service about 1000 clients locally.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10851465].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      New someone in the insurance business who did it with coffee mugs.

      The fridge magnet seems better: everyone goes to the fridge at least once a day; some people never drink coffee or tea.

      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      It's funny what works for some businesses.

      Met a gal who owns a local tax service. She sends out a letter with her business card and a fridge magnet, to new arrivals in the area. She says the magnet works like crazy as a reminder of her service. People see it again and again as they go to the refrigerator and call her because of it.

      Ya can't argue with success.

      Ron
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850340].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TaxMaster
        Originally Posted by DABK View Post

        New someone in the insurance business who did it with coffee mugs.

        The fridge magnet seems better: everyone goes to the fridge at least once a day; some people never drink coffee or tea.
        We give out a number of logo'ed items like pens, coffee mugs etc, hard to know how much effectiveness they have but we do a lot of business by referral.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850378].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DABK
          If you give a cup with a little note that says you got a gift waiting for them, should they bother to contact you, you'd have to give a saucer every time they contact you, but you'll know how effective it is and you get them to contact you one (more) time.

          Originally Posted by TaxMaster View Post

          We give out a number of logo'ed items like pens, coffee mugs etc, hard to know how much effectiveness they have but we do a lot of business by referral.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10851468].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TaxMaster
      Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

      It's funny what works for some businesses.

      Met a gal who owns a local tax service. She sends out a letter with her business card and a fridge magnet, to new arrivals in the area. She says the magnet works like crazy as a reminder of her service. People see it again and again as they go to the refrigerator and call her because of it.

      Ya can't argue with success.

      Ron
      Great idea! Many people do like the magnets just to have another one to stick their kids artwork or whatever on the fridge so might as well post my business up on there and give them a friendly reminder.

      It will certainly increase the budget quite a bit but may well be worth it in the end.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10850374].message }}

Trending Topics