Marketing supplements fitness industry

16 replies
Hi Guys,

Let introduce myself i am new on this forum, my name is Dylan.
I started my own supplement company, but i do not know what is the right strategy to get customers. Currently i am selling supplements under dropship base, but there are some cons to is like: high shipping prices. The supplements are from very good quality. But i am not selling....

I tried advertising on FaceBook, but this didn't get me results except for some likes on my FB page. I am writing blogposts but this is really time consuming and more for the long term.
Furthermore i use Instagram for inspirational quotes.

As you can see i try a lot but it is not getting me results, i follow people like Neil Patel, and Joe Paris. They talk about a sales funnel and using a mailing list.

I know i should change direction but not sure how and what.

I am thinking about buying private label supplements in my own country at a very good supplier. But the prices are not very competitive so profit margins will not be high.

I hope someone here can give me some guidance and direction.

Thanks in advance!
#fitness #industry #marketing #supplements
  • Profile picture of the author PlatinumPi4u
    I can help you.

    Depending on the type of supplements, you have to target your market. Please send me a private message as soon as you can.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11080654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    You don't say anything about who's interested in those supplements.

    When you do dropshipping, who buys? Why do they buy?

    Once you know the answer to the above, you should know where to advertise and how.

    Do you know those answers?

    Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

    Hi Guys,

    Let introduce myself i am new on this forum, my name is Dylan.
    I started my own supplement company, but i do not know what is the right strategy to get customers. Currently i am selling supplements under dropship base, but there are some cons to is like: high shipping prices. The supplements are from very good quality. But i am not selling....

    I tried advertising on FaceBook, but this didn't get me results except for some likes on my FB page. I am writing blogposts but this is really time consuming and more for the long term.
    Furthermore i use Instagram for inspirational quotes.

    As you can see i try a lot but it is not getting me results, i follow people like Neil Patel, and Joe Paris. They talk about a sales funnel and using a mailing list.

    I know i should change direction but not sure how and what.

    I am thinking about buying private label supplements in my own country at a very good supplier. But the prices are not very competitive so profit margins will not be high.

    I hope someone here can give me some guidance and direction.

    Thanks in advance!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11081792].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SupplementNL
      Hi men,

      Thanks for your input, appreciate it!
      At first when i started this business my main goals was to sell quality proteïn bars, but i didn't realize at that time that proteïn bars are fast over expiration date. So now i sel supplements using dropshipping since i simply do not have the financial power to buy stock. The cons are: high shipping costs, and low internal volume and longer delivery time. Pro's are extremely high quality.

      So i think i should focus on people who are able and willing to buy premium supplements.

      Another point is the fact that i do not get enough visitors to my website.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

    Hi Guys,

    Let introduce myself i am new on this forum, my name is Dylan.
    I started my own supplement company, but i do not know what is the right strategy to get customers. Currently i am selling supplements under dropship base, but there are some cons to is like: high shipping prices. The supplements are from very good quality. But i am not selling....

    I tried advertising on FaceBook, but this didn't get me results except for some likes on my FB page. I am writing blogposts but this is really time consuming and more for the long term.
    Furthermore i use Instagram for inspirational quotes.

    As you can see i try a lot but it is not getting me results, i follow people like Neil Patel, and Joe Paris. They talk about a sales funnel and using a mailing list.

    I know i should change direction but not sure how and what.

    I am thinking about buying private label supplements in my own country at a very good supplier. But the prices are not very competitive so profit margins will not be high.

    I hope someone here can give me some guidance and direction.

    Thanks in advance!
    My suggestion is take one supplement, build a story around it, get a private label...and build websites, buy Pay Per Click ads, write a blog..all about that one supplement. Offer the first bottle free if they buy a monthly subscription. (your shipping charge will pay for it all).

    Go on a few dozen websites that sell a single supplement. See what they do, and copy it.

    The supplement industry has hundreds of major players that dominate the market. Just pick one product, and build a business out of it. Then add other supplements and sell you list, after they buy your main product.

    I had an information product called Supplement Millions. You may be able to get it cheap on E-Bay. It gives you everything you need to know.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11081856].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SupplementNL
      Hi Claude,

      First, thanks for your input appreciate it!
      I guess your solution is a good option, so stupid i didn't think about it. But my main problem is that i have invested a lot of time in getting my current website setup with all the dropship products. What do you think might be the best course of action to take? Because on the one hand i don't want to drop my entire website and start all over again from scratch, but on the other hand i want to sell products and get more people to my website.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085146].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

        Hi Claude,

        First, thanks for your input appreciate it!
        I guess your solution is a good option, so stupid i didn't think about it. But my main problem is that i have invested a lot of time in getting my current website setup with all the dropship products. What do you think might be the best course of action to take? Because on the one hand i don't want to drop my entire website and start all over again from scratch, but on the other hand i want to sell products and get more people to my website.
        No need to drop your website and start over. Just pick one product from your website, and start promoting it. After someone buys it, then they go to your website to re-order and buy other products.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085167].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

        But my main problem is that i have invested a lot of time in getting my current website setup with all the dropship products. What do you think might be the best course of action to take? Because on the one hand i don't want to drop my entire website and start all over again from scratch, but on the other hand i want to sell products and get more people to my website.
        I am going to assume you have google analytics installed? If you don't.. you need to. if you do. you want to look under "behavior" then "content" and then "Landing pages" and anything aside from your home page you want to look at "visits". This should give you some kind of indication of what products are most visited IE what people are looking for. These would be the products you want to target.

        #1 you should create content ( actual landing pages vs product pages ) around these products. Pages or Posts no matter... just pages that people can get some detailed information about the product in general, and why yours is better.

        #2 Direct your facebook ( PPC ) efforts towards the specific landing pages vs say your home page. You basically were not selling because you didn't specify a product, and you didn't target the user of that product. your were shotgun advertising

        #3 As you build out these content pages you should see some increase in SEO based traffic ( traffic from search engines )

        #4 LOCALIZE your site. Do the work and make your site local friendly.. Get a Google my business account, set it up, do the work needed to make that work for you ( IE Citations ) If you type in "Vitamins" you will find the "local" listings will be all the big boys GNC Walmart etc... you should be able to list pretty well in these kinds of conditions... again with the work.

        I am sure you are thinking why would I localize? Vitamins and supplements is a HUGE market space. Which means there is HUGE competition. Localizing reduces the competition level DRASTICALLY. It gives you a helping hand in terms of actually getting decent SERP listings for terms you would otherwise never see the light of day in.

        A quick recap.. Identify and target the products your sites data suggest is of interest. Start developing content to optimize the user experience. ( Item specific landing page that flows to purchase vs dropping to home page or product page ) Localize your sites reach to increase your site ability to get decent SERP listings which will increase traffic flow.

        Hope that Helps!
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085611].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
          Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

          I am going to assume you have google analytics installed? If you don't.. you need to. if you do. you want to look under "behavior" then "content" and then "Landing pages" and anything aside from your home page you want to look at "visits". This should give you some kind of indication of what products are most visited IE what people are looking for. These would be the products you want to target.

          #1 you should create content ( actual landing pages vs product pages ) around these products. Pages or Posts no matter... just pages that people can get some detailed information about the product in general, and why yours is better.

          #2 Direct your facebook ( PPC ) efforts towards the specific landing pages vs say your home page. You basically were not selling because you didn't specify a product, and you didn't target the user of that product. your were shotgun advertising

          #3 As you build out these content pages you should see some increase in SEO based traffic ( traffic from search engines )

          #4 LOCALIZE your site. Do the work and make your site local friendly.. Get a Google my business account, set it up, do the work needed to make that work for you ( IE Citations ) If you type in "Vitamins" you will find the "local" listings will be all the big boys GNC Walmart etc... you should be able to list pretty well in these kinds of conditions... again with the work.

          I am sure you are thinking why would I localize? Vitamins and supplements is a HUGE market space. Which means there is HUGE competition. Localizing reduces the competition level DRASTICALLY. It gives you a helping hand in terms of actually getting decent SERP listings for terms you would otherwise never see the light of day in.

          A quick recap.. Identify and target the products your sites data suggest is of interest. Start developing content to optimize the user experience. ( Item specific landing page that flows to purchase vs dropping to home page or product page ) Localize your sites reach to increase your site ability to get decent SERP listings which will increase traffic flow.

          Hope that Helps!
          That's the reason the guys I referred to ditched online to newspapers,
          way too many moving parts, which you have just confirmed.

          1 ad for newspaper 1 script for the phone people
          and to expand, 1 phone call to ad space broker.

          Competition in newspapers, hard pressed to find
          another health supplement advertiser in the same newspaper.

          This is why Jon Benson, the guy who started the video sales letters
          has migrated to newspapers and health supplements.

          Best,
          Ewen
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085651].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author savidge4
            Originally Posted by ewenmack View Post

            That's the reason the guys I referred to ditched online to newspapers,
            way too many moving parts, which you have just confirmed.

            1 ad for newspaper 1 script for the phone people
            and to expand, 1 phone call to ad space broker.

            Competition in newspapers, hard pressed to find
            another health supplement advertiser in the same newspaper.

            This is why Jon Benson, the guy who started the video sales letters
            has migrated to newspapers and health supplements.

            Best,
            Ewen
            This is also the same guy that has what the #1 or #2 best selling e-book in the world? He hasn't gone from one to the other.. he is expanding his reach, his credibility... that's what you do as you grow in any game. He also has courses on video sales letters that sells like wild fire. He is empire building.

            The OP on the other hand... they are just building.... Its not that there are to many moving parts... what I laid out is a strategy to take the work he has already done, and focusing it, start TARGETTING.. and get some results using a proven path of least resistance.

            Create funnels.. that's all it is.. he just has the ability to create multiple funnels with real data that guides the path to products that have actual demand. Proven demand, with proven products, add in a proven sales funnel... and the ball of success starts to roll
            Signature
            Success is an ACT not an idea
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085669].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
              Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

              Its not that there are to many moving parts... what I laid out is a strategy to take the work he has already done, and focusing it, start TARGETTING.. and get some results using a proven path of least resistance.
              Only speaking from a team who has done both,
              could compare resources needed between the two,
              compare profits and compare time freedom

              Newspaper ads and outsourced call center won on all 3 counts.

              But some love complexity which ends up being a resource hog,
              therefore the original idea of a lifestyle and lots of profit evaporate.


              Best,
              Ewen
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Those that generate the most money per order,
    [been tested online v's offline] run newspaper ads to a phone number
    to order.

    No website option.

    Virtually no competing products in newspapers.

    Best,
    Ewen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
    Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

    I know i should change direction but not sure how and what.

    I am thinking about buying private label supplements in my own country at a very good supplier. But the prices are not very competitive so profit margins will not be high.

    I hope someone here can give me some guidance and direction.
    You've got some good advice already in this thread.

    Here is some additional information for you to study.

    I'd suggest you purchase from some of your competitors and study how their sales process works.

    If you are not thinking about something like Ewen's offline process and want to stay with an online presence then you should study the competitors to understand what they are doing and how you can emulate or improve.

    One place to study things like supplement sales is to look at the CPA networks. Not to sell on there but to use for study purposes.

    i shot you a quick video to explain. . .


    Kind regards,

    Ozi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11085911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SupplementNL
      Thank you very much Ozi, really appreciate it!

      So would you suggest to focus just on one product?
      Because i did add a lot of products to my site from a dropship manufacturer.

      Currently i did setup a lead campaign with a free ebook about meal prepping what are your thoughts on this strategy?

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11087599].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
        Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

        Thank you very much Ozi, really appreciate it!

        So would you suggest to focus just on one product?
        Because i did add a lot of products to my site from a dropship manufacturer.

        Currently i did setup a lead campaign with a free ebook about meal prepping what are your thoughts on this strategy?

        Thanks!
        You can focus on getting one landing page for one product and building out that sales funnel.

        Once you have the structure in place you can clone it for different products.

        You don't need to change what you have already done.

        Lead magnets are good as long as you have some plan to convert those leads into buyers.

        The thing about most supplement sales is they all tend to use the free + shipping model to get the first sale and then immediately upsell into get more of this right now - say three bottles - then save even more get six bottles or get a monthly supply for $X per month.

        You need to pick one product that is proven to sell and build out that first.

        You will only know once you send traffic to the one landing page and see if it converts.

        You can always use the meal prep guide as an exit pop offer to those who are leaving the page.

        Study some of the competitors for ideas and reverse engineer their process.

        Best regards,

        Ozi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11087790].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SupplementNL
          Hi Ozi, thanks again.

          I was wondering is it necessary to have a private label in order to work for a landing page. And i see on al those landing pages testimonials and doctor reviews.
          But i don't have those things.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11088094].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Oziboomer
            Originally Posted by SupplementNL View Post

            Hi Ozi, thanks again.

            I was wondering is it necessary to have a private label in order to work for a landing page. And i see on al those landing pages testimonials and doctor reviews.
            But i don't have those things.
            You can use borrowed authority to deal with some of these issues.

            Why can't you have your own private label?

            It's not like you are selling on amazon.

            On a sales page all that means is a graphic or set of graphics.

            It doesn't mean you have to private label the actual product the buyer receives?

            All you do is send a polite email saying your product is running so hot or rather than making anyone wait because of a computer labelling error, you've sent them product X which is the one you manufacture for a competitor under a different label but it's the same product.

            I'd pretty much challenge most people who had bought online to identify exactly the product label of the item bought unless it is one of the well known brands.

            Recently I bought a 50 pack of a particular hardened carbon steel blade we use. The regular 50 pack didn't turn up. Instead it was five packs of 10. - Did I complain - no.

            It might be more important once you have an established brand but would anyone question if the same product arrived with a "NEW" label?

            If you get product moving and start to make some profits along the way you will get your own label anyway.

            One of my businesses sells some physical products that are labelled with a variety of brands.

            They all come out of one manufacturer and as far as my clients are concerned we manufacture the product for everyone else.

            Fortunately the expansion of generics in many markets means consumers more and more understand they are getting the product inside the packaging more so than the packaging itself.

            Brand buyers are searching for their brand and unlikely to switch unless there is some advantage as they see it.

            I suspect supplement buyers are initially searching for the result the supplement offers not so much what the Internal packaging looks like.

            If you show your own label products in an outer box and the items arrive in a bottle is that going to cause any problem?

            - you send them the bottle to save on packaging costs which helps the environment - right?

            If it is going to cause a problem then show the actual packaging product shots on your landing page.

            Not to be unethical but I'd probably come up with my own box shots - easy enough to do and I'd change the sizes of my product to be smaller than the ones you are actually supplying.

            Then if anyone questions a different label you can always say you were out of stock of the smaller size so you sent the larger pack with your compliments.

            Just a few ideas, not to be taken as legal advice - disclaimer -

            Best regards,

            Ozi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11088303].message }}

Trending Topics