Hard selling is better than setting appointments.

24 replies
I want to start this off by saying thanks with all the support you guys have been giving me, thank you.

here is an updated script.

im selling seo to XXXXX business(alot of business owners pick up), their all on the second page.


update script

DM: this is _______

ME: good afternoon, this xxxx with xxxxxx. may i speak with the head of marketing please ?

DM: This is him or what is this about.

ME: The reason why i'm calling is because, we notice that you are losing money by being on the second page of google.

Hang up, not interested or someone quite interested asking more questions



I find that creating dialogue, reduces blow off rejection. However its tough to make it pass this part.

I am heading towards a one call close. After today, i see it happening.


Most business owners i speak with are quite grumpy and very assertive.

For example i made 40 calls today, 1 call back and i told him that hes on the second page for x keywords in x city,

he says no im not, im number one etc...

i was about to end the call until he said why are you cutting me off so soon.


This made me realize i had opportunity to close him, told him what i did, we talked about cities to target etc, basic seo stuff, and i asked for the sale(gave him my rate and offered a 1 month no contract, we can get started tomorrow i will invoice you)

He started asking questions(sorta like the questions you ask before you buy a car or sign up for a gym membership), and i answered accordingly. I realize that all this appointment setting is for whimps. Hard sell or no sale.

Setting appointments is a waste of time, why set an appointment when the client is interested and you guys are still talking.


DM:he wanted to think about it(no sale in my mind)

ME:i asked what did you want to think about exactly ?

DM:i wanna see whats a good fit i get about 5-10 calls like this a day.

ME: I said i understand. i sent him my rate and highlighted what we talked about.

Your client can be pissed off or have a lot of shit going on the day of your appointment.

Just wanted to share this story. My reality is quite shifted, but not yet i have not made a sale yet. im stuck on the script above.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on improving this script ? im stuck
#appointments #hard #selling #setting
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    I want to start this off by saying thanks with all the support you guys have been giving me, thank you.

    here is an updated script.

    im selling seo to XXXXX business(alot of business owners pick up), their all on the second page.


    update script

    DM: this is _______

    ME: good afternoon, this xxxx with xxxxxx. may i speak with the head of marketing please ?

    DM: This is him or what is this about.

    ME: The reason why i'm calling is because, we notice that you are losing money by being on the second page of google.

    Hang up, not interested or someone quite interested asking more questions



    I find that creating dialogue, reduces blow off rejection. However its tough to make it pass this part.

    I am heading towards a one call close. After today, i see it happening.


    Most business owners i speak with are quite grumpy and very assertive.

    For example i made 40 calls today, 1 call back and i told him that hes on the second page for x keywords in x city,

    he says no im not, im number one etc...

    i was about to end the call until he said why are you cutting me off so soon.


    This made me realize i had opportunity to close him, told him what i did, we talked about cities to target etc, basic seo stuff, and i asked for the sale(gave him my rate and offered a 1 month no contract, we can get started tomorrow i will invoice you)

    He started asking questions(sorta like the questions you ask before you buy a car or sign up for a gym membership), and i answered accordingly. I realize that all this appointment setting is for whimps. Hard sell or no sale.

    Setting appointments is a waste of time, why set an appointment when the client is interested and you guys are still talking.


    DM:he wanted to think about it(no sale in my mind)

    ME:i asked what did you want to think about exactly ?

    DM:i wanna see whats a good fit i get about 5-10 calls like this a day.

    ME: I said i understand. i sent him my rate and highlighted what we talked about.

    Your client can be pissed off or have a lot of shit going on the day of your appointment.

    Just wanted to share this story. My reality is quite shifted, but not yet i have not made a sale yet. im stuck on the script above.

    Can anyone give me any recommendations on improving this script ? im stuck
    You still DO NOT have a sale. You had a conversation, that COULD HAVE been turned into a sale. No sense getting ramped up about hard selling being better than anything else, at this point.

    One reason to make appointments is some people will only deal with local sources AND THEY WANT TO SEE THEM FACE TO FACE. You'll only get their business if you're willing to meet with them.

    That's how it is.

    These are easier sales because there's very little competition going door to door. Chances are good that if you give a half way decent presentation they'll buy from you.

    Find out who else they know. Get 3 or 4 good referrals before you leave.

    You can turn one sale into 4 or 5 very quickly, just by working those referrals.

    Make sure you get at least a couple of new referrals from each referral that you sell to.

    Now you're rockin'. Make the appointments and go get those sales.

    Then you can come back and tell us all about hard selling, ok?

    Ron
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11148769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Saiah Davis
    I make sales calls and I contact with intent to close on the call. I resort to setting up appointments if for some reason I'm unable to close.

    I tend to introduce myself.. quickly highlighting that I'm an authority in this field. I ask specifically for 2- 3 minutes of their time as it's easy for them to commit that amount for something of value.

    Your opening line... the reason why i'm calling is because we notice you are losing money by being on the second page of google might not be solid enough. You may need to test it until you find what works.

    The more you're able to profile before contact, the better.

    I know you requested assistance with your script but I'd like to recommend having a read of 'Pitch anything' by Oren Klaff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11148976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
      how successful have you been with an intent to close on the call and what are you selling ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149502].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

        how successful have you been with an intent to close on the call and what are you selling ?
        I was closing in person. I gave three full presentations and closed two sales on the first call. These were in person sales.

        I was selling local online marketing services.

        This was an experiment. Normally I introduced myself at meetings or at speaking events where I was speaking. And closed on the first in person appointment.

        My sale was $4,000.But these people know me (or knew about me) and I already qualified them strongly before the presentation.

        I experiment I told you about was cold calling small business owners in a neighboring town.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149647].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Saiah Davis
          Nice reviews there Claude. I'll be sure to pick up a copy soon... Looks like you're the real deal
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149721].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Saiah Davis
        Without getting into full details, I have done different types but I currently sell Bitcoin.

        You would not believe the objections lol... fluctuation, volatility, WannaCry ransomware attackers requesting payment via Bitcoin, negative reviews, bad media and more lol.

        Generally, I make about 30 calls, get about 9 answers and convert an average of 5 on the call.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149717].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
          is this your own business ?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149849].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author stanton
          Originally Posted by Saiah Davis View Post

          Without getting into full details, I have done different types but I currently sell Bitcoin.

          You would not believe the objections lol... fluctuation, volatility, WannaCry ransomware attackers requesting payment via Bitcoin, negative reviews, bad media and more lol.

          Generally, I make about 30 calls, get about 9 answers and convert an average of 5 on the call.
          Where is the margin in Bitcoin sales?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11164257].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Saiah Davis View Post

          Without getting into full details, I have done different types but I currently sell Bitcoin.

          You would not believe the objections lol... fluctuation, volatility, WannaCry ransomware attackers requesting payment via Bitcoin, negative reviews, bad media and more lol.

          Generally, I make about 30 calls, get about 9 answers and convert an average of 5 on the call.


          Lmao, so you cold call selling Bitcoin?

          I'm sorry but that really is the funniest thing I've read all day/week.

          I've been around BTC a few years and can't imagine cold calling + crypto is even a thing.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11164331].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author stanton
            Originally Posted by yukon View Post

            Lmao, so you cold call selling Bitcoin?

            I'm sorry but that really is the funniest thing I've read all day/week.

            I've been around BTC a few years and can't imagine cold calling + crypto is even a thing.
            It is if you aren't actually selling BTC, but something else with lots of margin.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11166170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author animal44
    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    Most business owners i speak with are quite grumpy and very assertive.
    Are you surprised...?

    Here's a quote from a real business owner which I think conveys how most - if not all - business owners in this day and age think of cold callers:

    Yes, I'm sick of bloody marketers who think their message is more important than my time.

    I've had four people try to cold call me today (which is fine as I don't answer my phone, at all, except when someone has pre-booked an appointment. I'm fortunate in that my business is such that I don't need to answer the phone - people keen enough to speak with me jump through the hoops of booking a call) but ...

    I've had several people request to connect with me in LinkedIn. The moment they connect, they add me to their mailing list. Just because you now have access to my email address doesn't mean I want to read your crap.

    I've had four retailers this month violate my email preferences. When I placed my order I specifically opted out of getting their newsletters / updates .

    I've had six people sending me PMs explaining to me what they do. I see your need to shout so loudly about your product as evidence you've got a crap product. I definitely do not want to buy it.

    I'm sick and tired of aggressive marketers - which is most marketers today! I don't want to hear about your latest product. I don't want to buy the sh*t you're selling. I don't want to hear about how fantastic you are ...so stop filling my social media feed with your self praise, customer testimonials, humblebrags, and other bullsh1t (or I'll disconnect from you).

    Just. Leave. Me. Alone. Go work on improving your product instead of spending so much time desperately trying to find someone to buy your crap.


    I would tell you how I got the above guy as an ongoing client... but I'm sure it would fall on deaf ears...
    Signature

    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    What I do for a living

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post


    DM:i wanna see whats a good fit i get about 5-10 calls like this a day.

    ME: I said i understand. i sent him my rate and highlighted what we talked about.
    He's right. He probably gets 5-10 calls like that a day. I do, and I hang up.

    You are going to get this objection often. Either come up with a great answer that moves the sale forward, or stop getting that objection. The way to stop getting that objection is to see them in person.

    Here. I'm going to give you the approach I used that generated lots of appointments and real sales.

    After I get the business owner...
    "I provide quality leads and sales to business owners that already have a website. I'm not calling today to make an appointment, but was just going to stop by for a minute to meet you and ask a few questions. If you decide you're interested then we can make an appointment for a later date. Will you be there tomorrow at 3PM?"

    The only reason this works is that I gave a benefit, but I said I wasn't calling for an appointment. I'm just not giving him anything to say "No" to.

    If he says "Can you just ask me over the phone?" I say "Nope. I just want to meet you. Tomorrow at 3PM?"

    Frankly, I only did this over a five hour period (If I remember correctly) to make sure the approach worked. I think I made 17 "appointments" out of 50 or 60 calls. I had three real presentations on site and closed 2 substantial sales.

    Half of them weren't there when I arrived, and I didn't reschedule. I made these appointments about 15 minutes apart, all in the same town. A few I had to blow off because I was busy selling. I was extremely easy to get rid of at this point. I was just sorting through them to find the one or two that I really wanted to work with.

    Of course, I wasn't really just there to meet them. I was there to sell them if there was a meeting of minds. And I wasn't going to make an appointment for later.

    The easiest thing in the world to get rid of is a phone call. The hardest thing? A body.

    I was testing the script because I wanted to put it in my book on sales prospecting, and I knew it would work (I've used similar approaches before with success.). Most of my sales were made by public speaking and referrals. I was calling complete strangers.
    Signature
    One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

    "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11149367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
      one thing about this, i dont live in their area i call across the US. Whats a solution to this ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151386].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
        Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

        one thing about this, i dont live in their area i call across the US. Whats a solution to this ?
        It would help dramatically if you had a strong web presence. At least one great website...several Youtube videos explaining your service and giving tips, and multiple ways to contact you. A Youtube page will also help.

        These aren't to do the selling for you (although that can happen) They are to give the prospect something to look at when they invariably check you (or your company) out online.

        They may ask for references or examples of your work. Once you tell them your business name (or your name) many will be doing an online search while they are talking to you.

        You need to project the image that you are substantial...in business....and know what you are doing. You can even direct them to your website as you talk to them (although that may trigger a need to read everything on your website, which is a time waster).

        But if you are going for a one call close to complete strangers on the phone...expect to get tons of objections and stalls. You're going to need great answers to every objection (there are really only about 5 or 6 common objections you'll get). But the longer they are on the phone with you, the more likely they will buy.

        Also assume that you'll need to make call backs.
        Signature
        One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

        "Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity" Friedrich Nietzsche
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11152002].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

        one thing about this, i dont live in their area i call across the US. Whats a solution to this ?
        Call businesses closer to home.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11152138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    depends on what your selling. You can easily one call close a $500-$1000 product on the first call. Your script defiantly needs some Major work though. Telling them there losing money be being on the second page is a bad line man. I also don't see anywhere on the script where you qualified them to see if there even worth pitching. One call closing is easy but there's a really specific way you have to do it and structure it so you lead them down the right psychological process. I've one call closed a ton of people on SEO I don't sell it anymore though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151500].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
      you dont need to tell me its bad, i know. whats why i asked for help
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    Your response to the want to think about is stall is one of the worst things you can say. Once you say that you fall out of rapport and the deal is dead. Most people THINK your supposed to directly address that though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151502].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
      again your not helping, your just rubbing it in my face. Which is pretty low of you
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    Pretty low of me? did you not see that I commented on like everyone of your posts in the offline section and gave you some valuable tips? Keep failing then. I wont help. NO ONE here can teach you how to sell effectively over the phone this is my area.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SalesGod
    open

    tell them you'll make them money

    questions to see if there a good fit

    pitch them. Include only 3-4 of your weakest benefits

    trial close

    Take payment or rebuttal until they buy or hangup on you.

    This is the structure of how you one call close.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11151879].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
      this is helpful, i appreciate you writing this out. Thank you
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11152141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MightyWarrior
    If you told me I was losing money without building a case first, CLICK!

    I would be scheduling a time to meet with a lite version Company Specific report in hand.

    Sell the more data/detailed Company Specific report and then move into promoting the business.

    You need to show figures, and then back up your talk with your walk (and a 100% no-lose guarantee).

    This is what I can do. This is the revenue you can expect. This is how much my services cost. This is your net income after expenses. If I can't make it happen you pay nothing.

    Signed contracts!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11152071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Oh good, another script.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11164330].message }}

Trending Topics