Any Advice On My Cold Calling Sript?

by bobby soshowki 48 replies
Hello! I work for a random company that I wish to not get into specifics about. I am curious what everyone thinks on this script I am using at work. Is it too long? Not using the right power words? or just worded incorrectly.

Me: "Hi good morning/afternoon this is _____ calling on behalf of (Random Charity). Did I catch you at a bad time?"
Prospect: Yes/No
Me: "Im sure you're busy and I want to respect your time, so I'll be brief. We sp
onsor different home improvement companies to help out local children charities. Now were not asking for any money. Every homeowner that receives a free demonstration and estimate our charity receives a donation. So I just wanted to briefly ask you a question out of windows, roofing, or bathroom remodel what would be the next home improvement that you would consider?"

****REBUTTAL'S****
Objection: "Im not interested" or "Im not looking to do anything right now"
Me: No problem, I understand let me clarify. We know you're not looking to have anything done right now. All of their estimates are good for a full year. You'll receive a free price quote to plan and budget for the future. So out of Windows, Roofing, or a Bathroom remodel what would be the next home improvement you would consider for your home.

***SECOND REBUTTAL***
Objection: "My house is new"
Me: It must be nice having a new house. We know you're not looking to have anything done right now. All of their estimates are good for a full year. You'll receive a free price quote to plan and budget for the future. Some of the most common products for new homes are Designer Entry Door Systems, Insulated Garage Doors, or even Gutter Protection.

***THIRD REBUTTAL***
Objection: I already have all that done
Me: No problem, I understand. We know you're not looking to have anything done right now. All of their estimates are good for a full year. You'll receive a free price quote to plan and budget for the future. So what about Siding, Insulation for the attic, or Gutter Protection?




So thats basically what I am working with right now. I worry about it being too lengthy. I am dealing with cold calls only and I feel like this scripts isn't powerful enough. I use the right tonality while reading it and keep my tone excited and smile while going through it. I barely read it because I have said it so many times that it is basically memorized at this point. This is my 1st time to this forum and I apologize in advance if this is somehow against the rules (which I didnt see anything that said it was). I tried to keep it vague for the discretion of my company. Thank you everyone for any tips or advice in advance! I truly do appreciate it! =)
#offline marketing #advice #calling #cold #sript
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
    Greetings!

    I created a cold calling script that is totally off the hook. But it's going to really blow your mind. I have used this in several niches and it doesn't seem to matter. It works. It works because it obeys the law of the Sale. I am soon to release a few WSOs on this. But let me ask you something? If I showed up at your door unannounced and pitched you would you buy from me right at that moment? No. You don't know me. If I stopped at the local club and walked up to girls and asked them to consider marrying me and listed all the reasons why, would any marry me right there? If anyone called me that I didn't know, my mind would block out 95 of ehat you say because I want to check out you, your company, get some good reviews, maybe read some third party testimonials. Do you see what I mean? Your script isn't really the issue. I was just like you getting nowhere with cold calling. But it's because most cold calling is built on a very old school pushy sales model. And the only reason it worked 50 years ago is because 50 years ago you could trust people over the phone. Things have changed right!? LOL. So I devised a plan to eliminate their "auto no" and basically I absolutely do not sell or push anything on the first call. Yes there needs to be a second call. Remember art if the Sale? Who do people buy from? Those they KNOW, LIKE and TRUST. That's just like asking the girl at the club to dance. If you dance with five girls you pry have a great chance of a second date and then maybe a third and by the tenth you can ask them to marry you. When I do this I can never keep up with the people who are wanting bids and offers et. One last thing - a real salesperson - someone who has honed their craft shall we say - only "sells" to prospects when they are hot. If they are just warm we got much more to do. If they are truly cold - well the last thing you ever ever want to do is try to sell when the customer is cold. Therefore - the ONLY wise and appropriate use of a true cold call in the modern world is to move the person or company from cold to warm. And don't sell. Inform. Give. Inspire. Help. Serve. Invest. Give and it shall be given to you my friend!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11155813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author animal44
      Originally Posted by Jorkman77 View Post

      Greetings!

      I created a cold calling script that is totally off the hook. But it's going to really blow your mind. I have used this in several niches and it doesn't seem to matter. It works. It works because it obeys the law of the Sale. I am soon to release a few WSOs on this. But let me ask you something? If I showed up at your door unannounced and pitched you would you buy from me right at that moment? No. You don't know me. If I stopped at the local club and walked up to girls and asked them to consider marrying me and listed all the reasons why, would any marry me right there? If anyone called me that I didn't know, my mind would block out 95 of ehat you say because I want to check out you, your company, get some good reviews, maybe read some third party testimonials. Do you see what I mean? Your script isn't really the issue. I was just like you getting nowhere with cold calling. But it's because most cold calling is built on a very old school pushy sales model. And the only reason it worked 50 years ago is because 50 years ago you could trust people over the phone. Things have changed right!? LOL. So I devised a plan to eliminate their "auto no" and basically I absolutely do not sell or push anything on the first call. Yes there needs to be a second call. Remember art if the Sale? Who do people buy from? Those they KNOW, LIKE and TRUST. That's just like asking the girl at the club to dance. If you dance with five girls you pry have a great chance of a second date and then maybe a third and by the tenth you can ask them to marry you. When I do this I can never keep up with the people who are wanting bids and offers et. One last thing - a real salesperson - someone who has honed their craft shall we say - only "sells" to prospects when they are hot. If they are just warm we got much more to do. If they are truly cold - well the last thing you ever ever want to do is try to sell when the customer is cold. Therefore - the ONLY wise and appropriate use of a true cold call in the modern world is to move the person or company from cold to warm. And don't sell. Inform. Give. Inspire. Help. Serve. Invest. Give and it shall be given to you my friend!
      Except you don't cold call women for a date..., or do you...?

      Business owners don't have time for chatter. Get to the point, make the sale or not. You want to chat, go where business owners are expecting chat. Don't interrupt their day for a chat.

      Better still, don't cold call at all.

      Edit to say, I agree with the slow burn, building a relationship bit...
      Signature

      I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
      Then it dawned on me...
      What I do for a living

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11155869].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simon leach
    You are going to get shut down rapidly. First of all your pissing people off with the charity "bait and switch", confirming their worst fears. You are launching straight in with no rapport or establishing credibility. Try something along these lines to get the call started.

    ...Im calling to let you know we've recently worked with 6 homeowners in your town and increased their home appraised value instantly by 20% and I wanted to let you know about it.

    Specific customization
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11155904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bobby soshowki
      To be honest I make an appointment a day at minimum. We have guys that drive out to close the deals and see exactly what they are trying to get done. The charity angle works because our leads come from a big list from a charity organization where people have already donated prior. Completely legal and in writing. I do see the unethical angle on it though.. To be honest it's a bit of bs how we come at people.

      "..Im calling to let you know we've recently worked with 6 homeowners in your town and increased their home appraised value instantly by 20% and I wanted to let you know about it. "

      I like that angle. It definitely inspired me to re-look at my current script. I do appreciate the advice on that..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156484].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
      Simon. Great point love that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGUS
    Jerkman said it well.."Don't sell. Inform. Give. Inspire. Help. Serve" Remember "Tellin aint Sellin"...I had more success simply saying "I do not wish to interrupt you" and asking "Permission" to call them back at a time they had 60-90 seconds to consider the product/Service I was passionate about...80% of the time they said now is OK (if your serious about 90 seconds!)
    J77 2nd point is dead on...people are not "Sold" on the phone, use that contact to establish a rapport, I outsold every person I ever worked with because I ALWAYS used that 1st contact to ask if it was OK to get with them, later at their convenience, yes it required 2x the calls (2x the Work),,but resulted in 5x the sales.
    Sandler Sales Training, is the ONLY straight up No BS, No Rah Rah motivational Psycho-Blather ..Expensive & worth it.
    Now..Go make a Buck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11155977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Hi it's Fred from xyz

    "We think we've found a way for home sellers to get an average uplift of 20% on their asking price but ........for some reason that we can't figure out.......it doesn't work for everybody we've shown it to......

    I may be way off the mark here but....is that something that would interest you?"

    To the OP....All that charity stuff? Forget it...it just won't work.

    You know it's BS and guess what?....so do they.

    When you use a spurious/tenuous angle like this you will never come across as someone to trust.

    The script stinks...it needs a big re-think
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11155992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    I will never, ever, understand asking "did I catch you at a bad time" up front. Why not just hang up on yourself, lol. You are giving them an out from the first moment. If you want to show respect for their time just acknowledge it in a statement, not a question.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156129].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Asking 'is this a bad time to call' works extremely well.

      If you've never tried it you should give it a go. I started using it 2 years ago [after reading something by Jason Kanigan on here]. It has a hidden psychological effect and is NOT the same as asking 'is this a good time to call'

      I'm sure that any pro on here would not utter an opinion about something they've never tried ;0) [would they?]. There is not much point in explaining the psychology....just TRY IT.....I'm certain you'll change your opinion.
      Signature

      Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
      Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

      Say This Instead

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156432].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author umc
        Originally Posted by helisell View Post

        Asking 'is this a bad time to call' works extremely well.

        If you've never tried it you should give it a go. I started using it 2 years ago [after reading something by Jason Kanigan on here]. It has a hidden psychological effect and is NOT the same as asking 'is this a good time to call'

        I'm sure that any pro on here would not utter an opinion about something they've never tried ;0) [would they?]. There is not much point in explaining the psychology....just TRY IT.....I'm certain you'll change your opinion.
        I telemarketed for years, not to mention three decades of knocking on people's doors with an unpopular message. Why would you ASSume that I haven't tried it? Glad it works for you. I think that some things maybe just work better for certain personality styles, audiences, etc. It didn't work for me, or maybe now you'll tell me that it didn't really happen. I still personally think that it's a bad idea. Your mileage may vary.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156444].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by helisell View Post

        Asking 'is this a bad time to call' works extremely well.
        In my experience, generally, the answer will be, "Yes!" I have had much better success with, "I know you are very busy and I promise not to take more than two minutes of your time."

        Most business owners will give anyone with a pleasant phone manner that shows respect for their time, two minutes.

        That said, keep your pitch at 90 seconds and follow up with, "I see I have 30 seconds left before breaking my promise. What question might I be able to answer for you."

        Has always been quite successful for me.

        Try it. It might work for you, too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11190893].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bobby soshowki
      Actually... Saying "Did I catch you at a bad time?" up front is a pretty smart way to come at people. Most people don't want to admit if they are caught at a bad time and if they do admit it then I still say

      "I'm sure you're busy and I want to respect your time, so I'll be brief."....

      Those particular lines have dramatically increased my appointments. Before I'd just try and steam roll through it and get less results. With this it kind of gets them going and listening. There is a big difference between "bad time" and "good time".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156491].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author umc
        Originally Posted by bobby soshowki View Post

        Actually... Saying "Did I catch you at a bad time?" up front is a pretty smart way to come at people. Most people don't want to admit if they are caught at a bad time and if they do admit it then I still say

        "I'm sure you're busy and I want to respect your time, so I'll be brief."....

        Those particular lines have dramatically increased my appointments. Before I'd just try and steam roll through it and get less results. With this it kind of gets them going and listening. There is a big difference between "bad time" and "good time".
        Again I'll say that I'm glad it works for you. I tried it and it wasn't for me, though I see your psychological angle and find it interesting. For me, I set appointments for home improvement companies completely cold with no charitable angle and was setting anywhere from 3 (I believe that was my low)-20 appointments per day. Now, that was some time ago and things have changed, but I kept it simple and fit it to my personality and it worked. I eventually ran the room of 20-30 people.

        If it works better for you, go get yours, but you asked for advice and that's mine. You don't have to take it just like I didn't have to use a question like that myself. To each his own.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156499].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
          Great point. That's really cool to hear. I think also the industry and niche is such a big factor in what works et.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156539].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
      The reason it often works is simple: the person answered. They know it and you know it. And if it truly was a bad time to call they wouldn't have answered. But now they feel somewhat ashamed to say "yes it's a bad time I'm playing golf!" So they kinda settle in understanding that they are about to invite your pitch. But I've been on both sides. I have heard hundreds of poor pitches and when someone asked me that I found it impossible to say "yes this is a horrible time" and quite frankly I didn't want to set up an appointment for a "better time" and those are reasons why it works incredibly well and I don't think the whole "YES NO" psychological verbiage ever mattered in that aspect when I answered cold callers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11185687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Yup.....door knocker and telemarketer here too [started when I was 25....phew 38 years ago]

    I've tried it, taught it, used it and implemented it in a dozen or more industries in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Lithuania [long story] and never had anyone revert back after using it...just sayin.
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156454].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author umc
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Yup.....door knocker and telemarketer here too [started when I was 25....phew 38 years ago]

      I've tried it, taught it, used it and implemented it in a dozen or more industries in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Lithuania [long story] and never had anyone revert back after using it...just sayin.
      Awesome, good for you. It didn't work for me, just sayin', and I know I'm not the only one.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156471].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bobby soshowki
        Perhaps it has to do with the type of salesman that is saying it.. I am more of the upbeat and excited type. I strongly alter my tonality (not too much but just right) and it seems to work. But once again there is a hundred ways to skin a chicken. Some ways are not for everyone
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156498].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
          Well I think it is an art form and if you have begun to master your way - hey I never want to question what's working so great job and keep it up. Grant Cardone does cold closing too but he's the best there is and even he sometimes enjoys the fact that he's famous. For normal peeps I think there are more effective ways. But if you get stuck you might want to look into these things I mentioned. Anyway great luck to you!!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156534].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bobby soshowki
    Any other advice on this script would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone for the tips and opinions on this all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
    Bobby hey I know you aren't getting script advice from everyone. Me. Sorry. I will look through it again tonight.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bobby soshowki
      Jorkman I appreciate it a lot! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11156578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BuddyFox
    The problem with 'Did I catch you at a bad time?' approach is that the answer you WANT is also the answer you DON'T WANT.

    What I'm saying is, that you always want to get your prospects into the habit of saying 'YES' and NOT 'NO'...

    When you ask if now is a bad time, you want them to say NO, which means you can talk to them...But you really DON'T want to get them saying NO because it's not a good way to get your sale in rhythm from the get go...

    Rephrase the question...maybe..."Is now a good time?" - That way the answer you're looking for, and want, is the same...YES YES YES...

    Just my 2 cents..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11174300].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jorkman77
      Buddy
      I like your style. :-) And I agree just flip the question so their Yes is in the flow of where we want them! Great input.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11185685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by helisell View Post

    Asking 'is this a bad time to call' works extremely well.

    If you've never tried it you should give it a go. I started using it 2 years ago [after reading something by Jason Kanigan on here]. It has a hidden psychological effect and is NOT the same as asking 'is this a good time to call'

    I'm sure that any pro on here would not utter an opinion about something they've never tried ;0) [would they?]. There is not much point in explaining the psychology....just TRY IT.....I'm certain you'll change your opinion.
    I haven't tried this as a seller, but as someone who seems to be on every call list in multiple countries, my response to this question has two parts:

    "Yes."

    Click...buzz.

    I think there should be a sainthood for whoever invented Caller ID...

    Oh, and if I did somehow hear about the charity scam? My next move would be to forward the details to the state attorney general's office.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11185682].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jessica Amboos
    Hello there! Well, you didn't build any rapport. That's the first thing you should work on. I hate it when random people call me and hound me immediately about the services that they're offering and not even asking me how am I doing. It would be nice to hear it from somebody even though they're strangers. Sometimes the people who know you don't even ask you anymore.

    Second, you're rebuttals are repeating. It gets kind of annoying. The lines that you're trying to deliver in order to stick it into their heads sounds irritating when repeated thrice in a row. You might want to rephrase them a little bit or better yet, don't repeat them a third time. They get it.

    When you get neglected a third time I think it's better if you just let them off the hook especially if you only get a one sentence answer. They are simply not interested.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11190327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Jessica Amboos View Post

      Hello there! Well, you didn't build any rapport. That's the first thing you should work on. I hate it when random people call me and hound me immediately about the services that they're offering and not even asking me how am I doing. It would be nice to hear it from somebody even though they're strangers. Sometimes the people who know you don't even ask you anymore.
      One big reason cold callers don't ask how your doing is BECAUSE the people who know you don't ask anymore. Asking 'how are you' immediately identifies the caller as a telemarketer and opens the door for me to say something like 'I was doing fine until some damn telemarketer disturbed me' and hang up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11190405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    You know who successfully uses scripts? Nobody.

    Talk to people like they've got more sense than a damn script.
    Signature
    Be your best self. - Darryl Philbin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11190338].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      You know who successfully uses scripts? Nobody.

      Talk to people like they've got more sense than a damn script.
      Ridiculous. Some of the most successful telemarketing operations in the country use scripts that they have spent years fine-tuning and will fire people that deviate from the script in the slightest way - as well they should.

      Give people a 'proven success formula' and they will be successful, assuming they have the requisite skills to begin with. If they think they know more than you about selling your product or service that you do, simply suggest that they start their own telemarketing company - and that they 'won't be a good fit, here."

      Thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11190897].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author animal44
        Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

        Some of the most successful telemarketing operations in the country use scripts that they have spent years fine-tuning and will fire people that deviate from the script in the slightest way - as well they should.
        What is the point in having a human calling, if they're acting like an robot...? Who wants to talk to an automaton?

        Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

        Give people a 'proven success formula' and they will be successful, assuming they have the requisite skills to begin with. If they think they know more than you about selling your product or service that you do, simply suggest that they start their own telemarketing company - and that they 'won't be a good fit, here."
        How many people would you have to speak to to make a sale, in order for you to consider this "successful"...?
        Signature

        I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
        Then it dawned on me...
        What I do for a living

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191763].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
          Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

          What is the point in having a human calling, if they're acting like an robot...? Who wants to talk to an automaton?
          If that's how you view it, your question is not worthy of a response. Working from a script doesn't make you a robot. Some of the most successful callers I have had working for me were NYC actors who took pride in bringing a simple phone script to life. Try using some imagination in your approach to life and business.

          How many people would you have to speak to to make a sale, in order for you to consider this "successful"...?
          Now - wouldn't that depend on the analytics that each sales operation has developed over years of running their operation? Wouldn't it be a different number for every single product or service?

          You really need to read your questions out loud to yourself before actually posting them. They're embarrassing.

          Thank you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191883].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author animal44
            A lesson in how to be evasive...
            Signature

            I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
            Then it dawned on me...
            What I do for a living

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191907].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
              Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

              A lesson in how to be evasive...
              A display of pique brought on by being totally flummoxed by personal embarrassment. :-)

              Buck up. It happens. The secret to success in life is learning from your mistakes.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191929].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

          What is the point in having a human calling, if they're acting like an robot...? Who wants to talk to an automaton?


          Exactly, like anyone is going to answer the phone and enjoy listening to a script.

          Lets make things even more complicated and cold call people that don't care. Forget warm leads, that's for losers.
          Signature
          Be your best self. - Darryl Philbin
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Asking 'is this a bad time to call' works extremely well.
    That's a bit funny - in the US, at least, consumer and financial folks are warning of the "yes" scam so may telemarketers are using.

    The point is to ask any question that will make you say "yes" - then the charge you because they have your 'yes' on record...never mind it was a different question... The scam has been pretty successful this summer - thus the warnings.

    The warning tells people to never answer 'yes' to any question asked by a stranger on the phone. So my answer to "is this a bad time" would be "no" - but then I'd hang up...so....

    if they're acting like an robot..
    If they talk like a robot - they aren't any good at the job. A decent actor can make you think he's answering you point by point - when what he's doing is leading you through HIS scripted points.
    Signature

    Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191957].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      If they talk like a robot - they aren't any good at the job.
      And the person that hired them should be fired. lol

      A decent actor can make you think he's answering you point by point - when what he's doing is leading you through HIS scripted points.
      At least someone here gets it.

      Thank you - and I sincerely mean that. :-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11191981].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author animal44
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      If they talk like a robot - they aren't any good at the job. A decent actor can make you think he's answering you point by point - when what he's doing is leading you through HIS scripted points.
      If you have a script that cannot be deviated from, then you can convert it to a letter. Take the most expensive element out (the human) and then you don't have to worry about them being a trained Shakespearian actor... or if they're suffering a hangover... or if they've had an argument with the spouse...
      Signature

      I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
      Then it dawned on me...
      What I do for a living

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      If they talk like a robot - they aren't any good at the job. A decent actor can make you think he's answering you point by point - when what he's doing is leading you through HIS scripted points.
      And.....a decent telemarketer can give the same message in a conversational way. As long as the same ideas are conveyed, i never recommend blindly following a prepared script. The reason is, the person on the other end of the line has no idea what their script is, or what they should say.

      The reason I think a new person should follow a proven script is that they have no idea why the script works. And they have no idea what the difference is between a change in style or sentence structure...and a sales killing statement or question.

      And, truth be told, most scripts we see here on the forum are written by someone who has no idea what they are doing, and so a proven prepared script is what they should follow, until they learn how it actually works.

      When I trained salespeople I told them they could change anything they wanted in our sales presentation...as long as they ran it by me first. The reason was, they often made promises that we couldn't fulfill......used language that killed sales.....or said things that triggered sales objections.

      Most of the changes they made actually killed sales, instead of making the sale easier.

      And...the best sales scripts just sound natural anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192145].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        ..........
        When I trained salespeople I told them they could change anything they wanted in our sales presentation...as long as they ran it by me first. The reason was, they often made promises that we couldn't fulfill......used language that killed sales.....or said things that triggered sales objections.......
        Made me chuckle Claude.....because.....when I train salespeople I tell them they can change anything they want.....as long as it's not the words or the manner in which they've been trained to deliver them. They can burn my house down...kill my dog....but god help them if they change my words...ha ha ha

        Clearly [as you say] it's no good just insisting people use a script.
        It has to be a good script and they have to be trained on how it is delivered.

        The last doorstep sales company I trained, I had a simulator built...yes it was an actual front door. I showed them how and where to stand, the exact body language they needed to use, how to hold their clipboard.......we went over it hundreds of times until it was pure routine. As a result of all that training we more than trebled their business.

        Airline pilots use a script, brain surgeons use a script....professional salespeople [well the ones who work for me] use a script. I don't allow Mavericks....they always cause problems.
        Signature

        Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
        Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

        Say This Instead

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192213].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
          Originally Posted by helisell View Post

          I don't allow Mavericks....they always cause problems.
          Yep - only two words apply. "You're fired!"

          Of course, Claude needs a script as he is purely incapable of forming a complete, informative and interest-producing sentence on his own.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192216].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author animal44
          Originally Posted by helisell View Post

          Clearly [as you say] it's no good just insisting people use a script.
          It has to be a good script and they have to be trained on how it is delivered.

          The last doorstep sales company I trained, I had a simulator built...yes it was an actual front door. I showed them how and where to stand, the exact body language they needed to use, how to hold their clipboard.......we went over it hundreds of times until it was pure routine. As a result of all that training we more than trebled their business.
          So you need a good script...
          You need to be trained to deliver it...
          You need the right body language...
          You need to know how to hold the clipboard (or should that be an iClipboard? )...

          All that and you can get a cheque by the end of the week...

          That's a lot of training to do in one week... in order to get a cheque by the end of the week...

          Thank goodness I don't do sales training...
          Far easier to teach people how to make money...

          Originally Posted by helisell View Post

          Airline pilots use a script, brain surgeons use a script....professional salespeople [well the ones who work for me] use a script. I don't allow Mavericks....they always cause problems.
          I have a system. And really airline pilots have a system (rather than a script)... My system does include scripts, however I encourage my proteges to adapt it to their own personalities... Because language is not just words, it's conveying ideas and concepts and also emotions. This is best done in as natural a way as possible. Trying to teach someone to fake these is hard, real hard.

          I have had some read directly off the page, because they're so shy and nervous that they can't remember the script. And they've still made the sale...

          Claude previously talked about finding the prospects who are most likely to buy. Joe Sugarman said something like "find the right list and you can make the offer scrawled on the back of an old envelope and people will still buy". If you have the right prospects, tone of voice, body language, props, clothing, whatever don't matter a damn, You just have to get through the barriers and communicate the right message. The best way to do this is in the most natural way you can...

          But what do I know... I'm just a poor little rich boy...
          Signature

          I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
          Then it dawned on me...
          What I do for a living

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192576].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author helisell
            Originally Posted by animal44 View Post


            All that and you can get a cheque by the end of the week...

            That's a lot of training to do in one week... in order to get a cheque by the end of the week...

            Thank goodness I don't do sales training...
            Far easier to teach people how to make money...


            I have a system. And really airline pilots have a system (rather than a script)... My system does include scripts, however I encourage my proteges to adapt it to their own personalities... Because language is not just words, it's conveying ideas and concepts and also emotions. This is best done in as natural a way as possible. Trying to teach someone to fake these is hard, real hard.

            I have had some read directly off the page, because they're so shy and nervous that they can't remember the script. And they've still made the sale...

            Claude previously talked about finding the prospects who are most likely to buy. Joe Sugarman said something like "find the right list and you can make the offer scrawled on the back of an old envelope and people will still buy". If you have the right prospects, tone of voice, body language, props, clothing, whatever don't matter a damn, You just have to get through the barriers and communicate the right message. The best way to do this is in the most natural way you can...

            But what do I know... I'm just a poor little rich boy...
            I think you're in the UK?

            The right list for their product doesn't exist....that's why we had to go talk to everybody and that's the reason it had to be on the doorstep....where you live or starve depending on what happened in the next 4 or 5 seconds.

            Airline pilot was maybe not the best analogy.....airline pilot who has just lost all 4 engines on takeoff would have been better.

            He'd better get on script and do exactly the right thing in the next 30 seconds....or he's toast.
            Signature

            Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
            Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

            Say This Instead

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11193098].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        And.....a decent telemarketer can give the same message in a conversational way. As long as the same ideas are conveyed, i never recommend blindly following a prepared script. The reason is, the person on the other end of the line has no idea what their script is, or what they should say.

        The reason I think a new person should follow a proven script is that they have no idea why the script works. And they have no idea what the difference is between a change in style or sentence structure...and a sales killing statement or question.

        And, truth be told, most scripts we see here on the forum are written by someone who has no idea what they are doing, and so a proven prepared script is what they should follow, until they learn how it actually works.

        When I trained salespeople I told them they could change anything they wanted in our sales presentation...as long as they ran it by me first. The reason was, they often made promises that we couldn't fulfill......used language that killed sales.....or said things that triggered sales objections.

        Most of the changes they made actually killed sales, instead of making the sale easier.

        And...the best sales scripts just sound natural anyway.
        Claude,

        Have you ever noticed that the better prospect, is also better informed?

        So, better doesn't mean easier to sell.

        On the contrary, you have to bring your "A game" to do business with them.

        Your best presentation, and sales skills, which require training and discipline.

        That's been my experience.

        Ron
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192850].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
          Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

          Claude,

          Have you ever noticed that the better prospect, is also better informed?

          So, better doesn't mean easier to sell.

          On the contrary, you have to bring your "A game" to do business with them.

          Your best presentation, and sales skills, which require training and discipline.

          That's been my experience.

          Ron
          The better informed prospect is the best, because what they already believe melds perfectly with sales claims I make. But I still give the whole presentation. In my retail store, it's short...maybe 10-15 minutes.

          A huge mistake salespeople make is leaving out part of their presentation...or skipping features...or short cutting...because they think the sales is going to be easy.

          One of the worst feelings when selling is going to see an "easy sale" and assuming they would buy...and then they don't because you didn't show them value. I've actually changed someone's mind about buying with a lousy presentation.

          Nothing created a feeling of self hatred like burning a sure sale.

          Added later; About sales scripts.

          Imagine you hired someone to play the guitar. But they never played the guitar before. They knew no chords, couldn't read music, had no idea about tempo....

          Only they have no idea that they know nothing about how to play the guitar. So they put their hands on the guitar and strum the strings....and it sounds like nothing. Only they don't know it's nothing, they think they are playing the guitar.

          New salespeople are like that. They have no idea what selling is, or how it works. When they say "I wouldn't talk like that. I don't want to memorize anything"....they are like the new guitar player that just strums the strings because it looks like what he's seen on TV....but what comes out isn't music, it's just noise.

          Selling is different from sending direct mail offers to a great qualified list. You need to get the "close ones"...the sales that could go either way.

          When I sold in home, a cold appointment (with minimal qualifying) would get a sale for a complete newbie...maybe 10% of the time. With me, it was about 45-50%.

          But with a very qualified referral? It was maybe 90% a sale with me, but still maybe 30% for the newbie. And when I would go with the new guy on an appointment, he would be doing..what he thought was a presentation...he thought it was what he learned...but it was invariably a nonsensical mishmash of what he thought were sales points. He was like the guitar player...thinking he is playing the guitar by slamming it into the floor.

          And for some reason...that I cannot fathom...these idiots would still sell about one in ten...or one in three for a highly qualified referral.

          What's interesting to me, is that I would explain to the new people why we had a script, and the value it would deliver for them. But it was impossible for it to be accepted, because they had no point of reference.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11192869].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Ron Lafuddy
            Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

            The better informed prospect is the best, because what they already believe melds perfectly with sales claims I make. But I still give the whole presentation. In my retail store, it's short...maybe 10-15 minutes.

            A huge mistake salespeople make is leaving out part of their presentation...or skipping features...or short cutting...because they think the sales is going to be easy.

            One of the worst feelings when selling is going to see an "easy sale" and assuming they would buy...and then they don't because you didn't show them value. I've actually changed someone's mind about buying with a lousy presentation.

            Nothing created a feeling of self hatred like burning a sure sale.

            Added later; About sales scripts.

            Imagine you hired someone to play the guitar. But they never played the guitar before. They knew no chords, couldn't read music, had no idea about tempo....

            Only they have no idea that they know nothing about how to play the guitar. So they put their hands on the guitar and strum the strings....and it sounds like nothing. Only they don't know it's nothing, they think they are playing the guitar.

            New salespeople are like that. They have no idea what selling is, or how it works. When they say "I wouldn't talk like that. I don't want to memorize anything"....they are like the new guitar player that just strums the strings because it looks like what he's seen on TV....but what comes out isn't music, it's just noise.

            Selling is different from sending direct mail offers to a great qualified list. You need to get the "close ones"...the sales that could go either way.

            When I sold in home, a cold appointment (with minimal qualifying) would get a sale for a complete newbie...maybe 10% of the time. With me, it was about 45-50%.

            But with a very qualified referral? It was maybe 90% a sale with me, but still maybe 30% for the newbie. And when I would go with the new guy on an appointment, he would be doing..what he thought was a presentation...he thought it was what he learned...but it was invariably a nonsensical mishmash of what he thought were sales points. He was like the guitar player...thinking he is playing the guitar by slamming it into the floor.

            And for some reason...that I cannot fathom...these idiots would still sell about one in ten...or one in three for a highly qualified referral.

            What's interesting to me, is that I would explain to the new people why we had a script, and the value it would deliver for them. But it was impossible for it to be accepted, because they had no point of reference.
            Thanks for explaining that. I don't think there's a worse experience in sales than to blow a sure sale.

            You always know right where things went off the rails, too.

            Then there's that terrible "knowing", that your would-be customer, is probably going to buy what you sell, from the next salesperson they encounter.

            Ron
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11193755].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
              Originally Posted by Ron Lafuddy View Post

              You always know right where things went off the rails, too.
              I did. And I knew right in the middle of it. Sometimes as the "deal killer sentence" was coming out of my mouth. A voice in my brain was screaming "NOOOOO! SHUT UP!!!!"...but I would finish the thought and I knew the sale was dead.

              What was almost as bad was taking a new guy with me, and he would kill the sales by saying something offensive or otherwise killing any desire to buy.

              And this happened a few times too...
              I would be with a new guy, and they were blowing a sale, and I would offer a suggestion that I knew would make the sale...and the idiot newbie would (in front of the prospect) argue with me.

              And then we drive away and the new guy says "If there was a sale there, I would have made it"...and I smile through gritted teeth.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11194354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theleadsguy
    A few suggestions:

    1. Make sure you're speaking to the right person before letting them know the purpose of the call and where you're calling from. You should never use a sales script on receptionists or gatekeepers (only the decision maker) as the receptionist's job is to screen as many calls as possible and send them to voicemail if it's sales related.

    2. Ask for the Decision Maker by name when you call. If you get a receptionist or gatekeeper, you can ask "Good morning/afternoon, is John in today?"

    3. If you don't have the name of your Decision Maker, do some research online to find out who you need to speak with (e.g. if your target person is the CFO then you can find out who the CFO of the company is on LinkedIn before calling). Knowing your DM's name before calling will lead to much more successful calls and more appointments.

    3. I personally would change the "Did I catch you at a bad time?" to something like "Hi John, this is _____ calling on behalf of (Charity). Do you have 5 minutes to chat now?"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11204202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    claude is the guy on this. There is some great info in here.

    I stepped away from this world, its quite hard, but realised if you do not test everything down to the t, and different openers, closers and in between you will fail.

    I guess as marketeres we are not Marketers, we are testers of things that either do work or do not work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11204291].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics