How do you handle stalls to close the deal TODAY ?

by Clautusoar 48 replies
Disclaimer: I sell online marketing(mainly seo), finally made it to the first PAGE of google with my main city keyword {city} seo, but not on the very top yet, so don't give me crap about waiting for leads to come in, i love cold calling now because i don't suck as i used too, i just need to learn how to close the deal, by handling objections and whatever.

since the last thread things have gotten somewhat better, however no sale yet(don't kill me im only on here cause i need advice, i don't want to get made fun of it makes me emotional when i get laughed at for making cold calls, but my day will come)


My opening script has changed from the last thread i made, and as a result i am given more opportunities to ask "needs development questions" and build value to ask for the sale, what im learning is that price is not really much of an objection if you build value up to it, anyway.


I do about 100 cold calls a day now nothing more, those numbers are consistent and i can do it consistently for 4 days straight.

I'm running into a serious, serious, serious, serious, serious problem besides making a sale.

out of 100 people i call now, more than half are interested but unsure,

I keep getting

"I don't see myself needing more business in (whatever city they are in)".


Heres another one, just got off the phone with a guy in which i was 100% sure he would move forward and get started, but noooo. here is how it went.

called a prospect, did my opening script, got through to where i would have the opportunity to ask him "good questions/needs development questions", he first says that he is already on the first page of such and such. I say, to be honest you wouldn't need our services if you already on the first page of xxx city, this gets him to lean in and ask buying questions, how much i charge, if i can do xx service, etc.

We end the conversation, by me sending him some information via email, and telling him i would follow up next week.

Called this week,

"i got your email, call me about in a couple weeks to see where i stand"

I hesitantly said ok, trying to remember how to rebutt this, and now i make a long post about it on the warrior forum. This rejection made me extremely optimistic because i see an area in which if i get past this, success will happen, and also i offered a price that wouldn't cover my expenses.

This experience happens alot, i somehow have a way to get people interested when i call, but when i follow up its like im back to square 1 its frustrating.


After a number of experiences like this i realize i need sales advice, because this happens alot and i never know how to handle these situations.
#offline marketing #close #deal #handle #stalls #today
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Hello champ, good to see your still firing away, can I ask just one little question, and it is a good way and meant to be a positive thing.

    Why are you not working with warm leads that call you or want you to call them, and speaking with those people on the phone, over and above cold people your dialling out to ?

    Lets say you had a leads funnel that brought people into your business that they would reach out and ask you to call them for further info or they would call you? or to the like.

    Now in an imaginary world one would think that you would be able to close down even at worst case 10% of the people that called, worst case. Now if you could get only 10 people to call you in a week, only 10 / 2 a day, then you would close one new sale a week or 52 new seo clients in a year.

    You would have a % drop off but I would also say, as time went on 2 more things would happen, your funnel would get stronger and bigger, and your ability to close would also improve.

    Just a thought and wondering if you have thought along these lines / putting energy into a site that will capture people in the are you want to work that want help with their seo services.

    / edit I see you have a website above with page one for a key, but for me I think I would rather call half as many people a day as you do and spend the remaining time really focusing on this and or improving those funnels till you get them right. connect in with some local fb ads and what ever else you have / big focus here rather than cold call blindly every day and your business will turn for the better.

    Don't chase 100 no's a day, have people who are warm come to you. build your marketing and funnels. and yes if you still want to cold call, but get this part crackin.

    Back to the top section you wrote I noticed you said, the guy says I am already on page one of giggle, I am guessing you have said there that being on page one is only part to the puzzle in that there are many other small things such as your meta description and title that will play a big part in getting them through and then what happens from there / page one for one random keyword is great mr. x but there from there we can magnify that many times over, you want keys unlocking multiple doors to your business mr x not just one.

    I think if they just say I am on page one and that's just for one or two keys and they think they have it sorted, that you have some room to hustle there and make them feel a little left out in the cold, they are already proud they have one or two soldiers on page one, mr x let us build you an army.

    Anyway I am sure you will slam home a run soon and we will all hear your victory shout.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11196673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    Disclaimer: I sell online marketing(mainly seo), finally made it to the first PAGE of google with my main city keyword {city} seo, but not on the very top yet, so don't give me crap about waiting for leads to come in, i love cold calling now because i don't suck as i used too, i just need to learn how to close the deal, by handling objections and whatever.
    You need to be #1 or #2 for several search terms; Online advertising, local seo, local marketing, online marketing service....plus the city.

    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    since the last thread things have gotten somewhat better, however no sale yet(don't kill me im only on here cause i need advice, i don't want to get made fun of it makes me emotional when i get laughed at for making cold calls, but my day will come)
    What books on cold calling have you read?

    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    "I don't see myself needing more business in (whatever city they are in)".
    What question are you asking that gets you that objection. It isn't one you should get often, unless you are triggering the objection. It's also possible that you are hearing it as a way to end the call. But either way, you are probably saying something that gets that objection.

    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    We end the conversation, by me sending him some information via email, and telling him i would follow up next week.
    What would you be sending him? Why not answer his questions right then?

    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    Called this week,

    "i got your email, call me about in a couple weeks to see where i stand"

    I hesitantly said ok, trying to remember how to rebutt this, and now i make a long post about it on the warrior forum. This rejection made me extremely optimistic because i see an area in which if i get past this, success will happen, and also i offered a price that wouldn't cover my expenses.
    There are two paths, if you are going to keep cold calling;
    1) Hire someone to write your entire script, including answers to objections. Not me, but there are a few here who do this. It's not free. But it's cheaper than missing sales after hundreds of calls.
    2) learn from books. Keep trying and keep reading books that are on cold calling. But continually calling, and not getting better at it is going to kill you. And posting questions here is the slow...s-l-o-w way to learn.

    Are you calling people in your city, or nationally?

    And...if they keep putting you off it's because you didn't give them reasons to buy...reasons that appeal to them, not to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11196693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi C,

    I don't think its sales advice. Marketing advice, I'd say.

    Because if you gave virtually all of your attention and energy to creating value and to building bonds with top folks in your niche, you'd be drawing in folks really interested in what you offer. Attraction marketing. Versus chasing down folks who may or may not be interested.

    I say, move away from wasted motion and do things from a calculated, precise, attractive-to-customers space, and you will allow in folks who dig your offering, versus pursuing people, especially a high volume of folks who are not particularly intrigued by what you offer.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    Retire to a Life of Island Hopping through Smart Blogging at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11196698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author umc
    Are you offering any incentive if they buy today? Just a thought.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197164].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
      one month no contract, but what i find is that this doesn't help if their is a underlining objection.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197485].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

        one month no contract, but what i find is that this doesn't help if their is a underlining objection.
        You need to understand that there is a huge difference between an 'objection' and 'resistance'.

        Anyone cold calling gets loads of resistance, it's natural to resist.

        'Objections' by definition can only happen AFTER you've tried to close (or at least asked a closing question.)

        Your original post made it sound like you were getting objections.

        In its simplest form it goes like this. (after you've qualified and they have shown interest asked questions or whatever)

        In simple language.

        You say: Do you like what I've said?

        Them: Yes.

        You: Would you like to go ahead and get started?

        If they say YES....the deal is done.

        If they say ANYTHING ELSE (including 'send me information' or 'Give me a couple of days to think etc) Th deal is not done and in 99% of cases...never will be.

        So at what point do you think your biggest problem is.

        If we can pinpoint that then I'll be able to help you.
        Signature

        Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197523].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
          Now, what can i do as a sales guy to flip that around and make them get started.

          if they throw a "give me a couple days to think" objection.

          you think this will work

          I understand, you want to think it over, thats fine, but let me ask you this.....

          What would be the one biggest reason why you would not get started today ?


          In your experience from selling on the phone, what are some helpful closing tips you can recommend ?

          I know building value, by asking need development questions and some anxiety questions are important and powerful as well. Also referred to as spin questions.

          I tend to get more closing objections than anything right now. Keep in mind im closing on the first call.

          Like i want to think about it, don't have the budget(sometimes these are real objections after i spent 20 minutes on the phone).Send me more information.

          THANKS UMC
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197602].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
            Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

            Now, what can i do as a sales guy to flip that around and make them get started.
            if they throw a "give me a couple days to think" objection.
            As mentioned above if your getting there, it tells you that you need to work smarter before this happens, at this point your 99% lost, again as above, so here just abort and start again. don't keep flogging a dead horse.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197715].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author helisell
            Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

            Now, what can i do as a sales guy to flip that around and make them get started.

            if they throw a "give me a couple days to think" objection.

            you think this will work

            I understand, you want to think it over, thats fine, but let me ask you this.....

            What would be the one biggest reason why you would not get started today ?


            In your experience from selling on the phone, what are some helpful closing tips you can recommend ?

            I know building value, by asking need development questions and some anxiety questions are important and powerful as well. Also referred to as spin questions.

            I tend to get more closing objections than anything right now. Keep in mind im closing on the first call.

            Like i want to think about it, don't have the budget(sometimes these are real objections after i spent 20 minutes on the phone).Send me more information.

            THANKS UMC
            If they are keeping on the phone for 20 minutes you're doing something right.

            Re: The think about it objection. The response you put is so old hat that I laughed out loud. Don't feel bad......I was taught that over 40 years ago and it wasn't that good then. That is just a glib 'seems like it should work' technique that doesn't do anything other than antagonise the potential customer.

            After 20 minutes of conversation you should have moved them so close to the finish line that they just fall over it....not suddenly come out with the 'think about it' objection. So that tells me something is not right during your qualification.

            As I said before you need a Qualification sheet. Otherwise your interaction will be disjointed and so full of holes that you'll just keep stumbling.

            I suspect you are not connecting with them correctly. After 20 minutes you should be conversing like old friends. You should be able to breeze through this objection.....with words similar to 'Think about it? Really? Which part?'

            Written down it looks out of context but what I mean is, you are not being seen as a real solution for them, they don't view you as an authority.

            An analogy: You're a doctor of seo. They know little or nothing about it. You examine them, come up with a prognosis, provide a prescription.....and they want to think about it?????

            A real doctor never has that problem....because of the trust....and the process that he goes through.

            Selling is a very sophisticated process, if any of the parts are missing...it won't work.
            Signature

            Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197864].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
            Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

            Now, what can i do as a sales guy to flip that around and make them get started.

            if they throw a "give me a couple days to think" objection.

            you think this will work

            I understand, you want to think it over, thats fine, but let me ask you this.....

            What would be the one biggest reason why you would not get started today ?
            As mentioned by two other experts here, if you are getting that objection, it's already too late. Any time you start answering objections, it becomes a contest of wills...you are arguing with them. the sale is almost always lost by then.

            If you ask them the right questions, show your expertise, and position yourself as an adviser (Yes, you can cold call and be an adviser) they should be eager to get started.
            But it may take you a long time to get to that point.

            In the meantime, don't use the close you posted.

            If you get an objection...any objection...just say "Oh?", and let them talk.
            Sometimes it just takes a person a little time to get used to the idea of buying from you.

            When you just say "Oh?', it leaves every door open to them. they don't feel pressure....they don't feel like you are pitching....and you sound like you are genuinely surprised that they didn't just say "OK, let's get started".

            As the are telling you their reason for not buying (usually created as they speak), they will either give you a problem you can easily solve, a question you can easily answer, talk themselves into buying....or talk themselves out of buying. In any case, you know the answer and can end the call.

            I don't know what your price point is, but you may get a legitimate "I have a partner I need to agree with this, if I move forward".

            Then I just ask if we can get him/her on the call. Maybe yes, maybe no...but at least you'll know.

            But one huge key to selling is that they are pursuing you, and not you pursuing them. Amazingly, you can even cold call and position yourself as the pursued. But you have o be completely consistent, and it's a pretty advanced form of selling.

            The good news is, you are calling, and that's the hardest part. And you are keeping them on the phone, which is a big step forward.

            But you don't know how to sell. You are learning from hacks on Youtube.

            Read great books on selling;
            The Perfect Close
            SPIN Selling
            Just Sign Here
            Influence
            Cold Calling Techniques That Really Work


            Seriously, you need to learn how to sell. These books will give you a good start.
            If you are just going to watch Youtube videos and come here for "Tips" expecting to make this work, you're going to be disappointed.

            You're either in this business, or you're not. And if you keep doing what you are doing now, you won't make it work.

            40 years ago, when I started out in selling, it took me three months before I made my first sale.....but I read books on selling, talked to successful salespeople, tested ideas, and kept working....

            Within a year I was the best guy in the office. But I kept learning.

            Why read great sales books? Because in two hours you can get a lifetime of experience from a professional. And it's cheap....really really cheap.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11198294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Imagine walking along a passageway with your customer in an office block.

    There are open doors on either side as you walk along [these are little escape routes for the customer.]

    As you stroll along the passageway in discussion your job is to close each one of these escape routes as you come to it [or if you're doing a great job...before you come to it]

    From what you've said, it sounds like you are managing to close quite a few doors as you go along...but....the customer keeps getting out of that door you left open.....the one about 'send me some info in an email'

    So....you need to close that door firmly''before you start the walk!' get it?

    The door needs to be closed by you during your qualification.

    Having asked all the 'right' questions [and I don't know if you are doing that because you haven't said what questions you are asking] you would start to close the door they keep getting out of.....plus the whole 'deal'

    Forgive me if this sounds too theoretical I'll get to the point.

    1. Based on what you've learned so far you need a qualification sheet printed in front of you [and a pen]

    2. Having gained interest you need to say something like 'ok Mr customer, based on what you've said, it sounds like I may be able to help' How about if I fire a few questions at you and we take it from there ok?

    3. You now go through your qualification sheet...as the customer opens up you'll learn to make it far more conversational.

    4. Last question is 'OK Mr customer I think I have a pretty good picture of your situation....unless there is anything else you can think of?'

    5. If I can put something together for you that will....
    [I'm making these up but you know what they'll be]

    a. Increase your online presence and get you more visitors
    b. Show you how to track your results and give you a better picture etc etc etc
    c. and so on....and If I can do all that within the money we talked about........pause

    'Would there be anything that would stop us going ahead right now?'

    Find out what would stop him.....'email me crap etc etc' and handle it.

    This is like sales 101 and you should be able to find info like this in any good sales book [not that there are many good ones, I wouldn't bother with the Grant Cardone stuff either at is not at all appropriate for what you are doing.

    Implement the above and you'll be well on your way to having a pro system in place.

    Obviously there's more to it but these are the principles you need.

    Good Luck
    Signature

    Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    Get this book and read it. It's a far better investment of your time than watching random Youtube videos.

    At least you'll get a real idea of what phone selling is all about.

    Power Phone Scripts by Mike Brooks.

    https://www.amazon.com/Power-Phone-S...2BBH7VDVCWQA8M
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11197579].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    Now, what can i do as a sales guy to flip that around and make them get started.

    if they throw a "give me a couple days to think" objection.

    you think this will work

    I understand, you want to think it over, thats fine, but let me ask you this.....

    What would be the one biggest reason why you would not get started today ?


    In your experience from selling on the phone, what are some helpful closing tips you can recommend ?

    I know building value, by asking need development questions and some anxiety questions are important and powerful as well. Also referred to as spin questions.

    I tend to get more closing objections than anything right now. Keep in mind im closing on the first call.

    Like i want to think about it, don't have the budget(sometimes these are real objections after i spent 20 minutes on the phone).Send me more information.

    THANKS UMC
    Anyone with enough brain power to run a business will sniff this one out before you finish saying it.

    My stock response was "The single biggest reason is that I want to think about it for a couple of days." Dead end city.

    One approach that used to work on me was "Crap. I obviously messed something up, didn't explain something right or something. Mind helping me out and telling me what it was so I can do better next time?"

    I was listening to a webinar from a copywriter named Richard Armstrong, who quoted Gary Bencivenga...

    "Marketers think they're playing catch with prospects.

    Prospects think they're playing dodgeball with marketers"

    "I want to think about it" isn't an objection, it's ducking your shot altogether.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    "I don't see myself needing more business in (whatever city they are in)".
    This is where a bit of education comes into play... they may live in "Dallas Tx" but search results will vary depending on suburb names as well. Such as Garland Tx or Richardson or Irving or Mesquite. The are basically telling you they want broader reach. explaining how you can broaden their reach should peak some interest

    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    Heres another one, just got off the phone with a guy in which i was 100% sure he would move forward and get started, but noooo. here is how it went.

    called a prospect, did my opening script, got through to where i would have the opportunity to ask him "good questions/needs development questions", he first says that he is already on the first page of such and such. I say, to be honest you wouldn't need our services if you already on the first page of xxx city, this gets him to lean in and ask buying questions, how much i charge, if i can do xx service, etc.

    We end the conversation, by me sending him some information via email, and telling him i would follow up next week.

    Called this week,

    "i got your email, call me about in a couple weeks to see where i stand"
    What they are really saying... is they handed over your ideas and concepts over to the person that is currently doing their SEO, and if there is no changes in position with them doing it.. he may or may not call you

    Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

    I hesitantly said ok, trying to remember how to rebutt this, and now i make a long post about it on the warrior forum. This rejection made me extremely optimistic because i see an area in which if i get past this, success will happen, and also i offered a price that wouldn't cover my expenses.

    This experience happens alot, i somehow have a way to get people interested when i call, but when i follow up its like im back to square 1 its frustrating.
    You need to laydown a squeeze... <insert name> because I got ahold of you first I am giving you the first opportunity at my services. I have other potential clients in the same market space. As a professional courtesy I have been holding that space for you. You can wait and see.. or you can take action today.

    The implication is you are talking to their competitors.. and the very blunt call to action removes the hesitation.. they will act.. or they wont.. but this gives you a clear indication of more work needed to land the client, or to simply move on.
    Signature
    Tools, Content, and Strategies to Develop Your Online Commerce Business - Coming Soon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Here's a little challenge for anyone who has been following this thread.

    At the core of everything that has been written here is 'SELLING' so here's the challenge.

    Who would like to have a stab at answering that?

    The answer is a single sentence with no waffle and no room for misinterpretation.

    What is selling?

    ;0)
    Signature

    Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206710].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author animal44
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      What is selling?
      Persuading Eskimos to buy refrigerators whether they want them or not...?
      Signature

      I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
      Then it dawned on me...
      What I do for a living

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206739].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

        Persuading Eskimos to buy refrigerators whether they want them or not...?
        Well obviously that as well ;0)
        Signature

        Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206827].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      What is selling?
      "Selling" for me is the point of exchange.. from what one is selling to what one is "buying" nothing before that point and nothing after. The process prior to "Selling" in my book is "Consulting."


      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Oh...P.S. the word 'persuade' doesn't appear in a definition of selling....;0)
      P.S. You better Google selling then.. yes it does
      Signature
      Tools, Content, and Strategies to Develop Your Online Commerce Business - Coming Soon
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206879].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Here's a little challenge for anyone who has been following this thread.

      At the core of everything that has been written here is 'SELLING' so here's the challenge.

      Who would like to have a stab at answering that?

      The answer is a single sentence with no waffle and no room for misinterpretation.

      What is selling?

      ;0)
      Asking questions to determine a product/customer match and then clearly matching the offer perfectly to the customer.

      But you're an expert as well, I'm interested in your definition.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206932].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Here's a little challenge for anyone who has been following this thread.

      At the core of everything that has been written here is 'SELLING' so here's the challenge.

      Who would like to have a stab at answering that?

      The answer is a single sentence with no waffle and no room for misinterpretation.

      What is selling?

      ;0)
      Ok, I'm going to assume that you want me to give the advanced answer.

      Selling is a transference of Certainty, in you and your recommendation.

      Meaning that they are certain that you are telling them the truth and that you are doing it for their benefit. To me, that's the core reason they don't give me objections often. This is done by positioning yourself, your body language, your tone of voice, your cadence, eye contact, inflection, and is a subtle form of domination.

      All great salespeople do it, whether on purpose or unconsciously. And a lack of certainty on the part of the prospect seems to be at the root of nearly all objections.

      This Transference of certainty is also the mechanism that powers hypnosis and is at the core of religious belief.

      And no, I would never say this in a book for the public. It would be impossible to sell the idea to most salespeople.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11212000].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Persuading Eskimos to buy refrigerators
    To me, that's a hard sell.

    Much easier to persuade Eskimos to buy refrigerator/freezers so they don't have to go out in the cold to get ice for their tea.
    Signature

    Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206831].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      To me, that's a hard sell.

      Much easier to persuade Eskimos to buy refrigerator/freezers so they don't have to go out in the cold to get ice for their tea.
      Er...he was being ironic
      Signature

      Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206841].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      To me, that's a hard sell.

      Much easier to persuade Eskimos to buy refrigerator/freezers so they don't have to go out in the cold to get ice for their tea.
      Oh...P.S. the word 'persuade' doesn't appear in a definition of selling....;0)
      Signature

      Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author appcoamit
    Hello , I have gone through your question ,you have leads as well as
    People who are interested as well,but closing is an important part of
    sale.

    And closing itself says if you won’t close me,i will close you by saying No.

    I am not saying everyone will buy it from you but surely it will work(100/3-4)
    Sale you can close easily yeah it require little effort but you will get reward
    Too,but remember whatever you do it should come naturally

    So how you can boost up your closing

    Think yourself from your client prospect and ask to yourself that
    If you were in his place would you buy that same product/service .

    If your answer is NO i can't help, there is way for selling these product
    But i won't encourage unethical marketing sorry for that .

    if your Answer is ‘yes’ you have to use closing tactics use direct close
    i.e telling him about pricing and long term benefits if he says
    He already have same product ,you have to give him appropriate
    Reason why should he has to buy it from you and why now .
    REMEMBER always and always agreeing what your Client is saying
    If it was an objection agreeing with him followed by ‘but’ and then
    “explain the reason why this product and why now “.
    surely if you follow these you will get result too...

    all the very best and we will all hear your victory soon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11206844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Indulge me........

    Let me run this a little longer.

    P.P.S. Any definition of selling that involves persuasion is wrong.

    Do people feel good about being persuaded? NO

    Do people feel good about being sold to? YES (If it is done correctly)

    It may not always involve questions either!

    I've had people approach me and say 'I saw your ad.....I want one'

    They have been 'sold' to and I haven't even spoken yet...but, (rather profoundly), something has happened in their mind without any face to face input from me.....and it is THIS fact that helps with the definition of 'selling'
    Signature

    Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11207034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author appcoamit
      i do agree with you ,as selling is all about knowing your customer and sell them appropriate product by which he can be benefited .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11207093].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      I've had people approach me and say 'I saw your ad.....I want one''
      Yup. In fact, to me that's the sole purpose of advertising. A great ad can bring in buyers. An ad is a sales presentation, not a public notice.


      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      They have been 'sold' to and I haven't even spoken yet...but, (rather profoundly), something has happened in their mind without any face to face input from me.....and it is THIS fact that helps with the definition of 'selling'
      The transfer of ownership?

      Is it..."Providing the information they need to make a decision"?
      I feel pretty good about "Perfectly matching the offer to the buyer".

      I'm treading water here.

      Added later; These answers I gave are ones I would give to the public. Sure I believe in them. But this isn't the absolute core of selling. For Helisell I have a better answer that I think he'll get.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11208050].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Yup. In fact, to me that's the sole purpose of advertising. A great ad can bring in buyers. An ad is a sales presentation, not a public notice.



        The transfer of ownership?

        Is it..."Providing the information they need to make a decision"?
        I feel pretty good about "Perfectly matching the offer to the buyer".

        I'm treading water here.
        Looks like your ads sometimes do what mine do!!

        They make someone WANT something....mmmmm....interesting.
        Signature

        Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Okay, here's my shot at it...

    Selling is showing a prospect how my product will take them from where they are now to where they want to be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11207154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    "What would be the one biggest reason why you would not get started today?"

    "I don't know. That's why I need a couple of days to think this over."

    Long and short of it is, you're trying to flip people who aren't buying.

    They sound like they're buying because they're being kind. But they're giving you common stalls.

    To get a sale today you could do special limited offers or takeaways.

    But there's really nothing you can do to sell them that won't result in them canceling your services the next day if they weren't wanting your stuff in the first place.

    So to better your odds of making a sale you need to be talking to people who want what you do.

    So the question becomes, how to figure out how that person can be identified. Is there something you've found they typically do or buy right before needing a service like yours? Like, file for bankruptcy? Just kidding about that one, but I'm saying you want to find clues that lead you to high probability suspects to call.

    Then tempt them in with a compelling offer that you can then flip on the back end, once you're in, into a bigger sale.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11207167].message }}
  • Great threads. Very valuable and applicable info.

    Thought I could throw in some more answers - based on a lifetime collection of sales books. With my thanks to the various authors.

    (I'm assuming the stall is 97.79% - more or less - "I want to think about it")

    The ultimate way is to have such an enticing, utterly irresistible "must buy it now" offer.

    So it's almost impossible for the prospect to refuse without looking like the village idiot. And feeling beyond dreadful because they have completely lost out on a "one off" magnificent bargain.

    Which may or may not be the case.

    If not try these.


    Think About It Close – 1

    I understand.

    However, you thinking about it will not change the situation.

    That this product saves you money.

    Your company needs it.

    And you are going to do it sooner or later.

    Lets go ahead and get it done now.

    So you can think about all the other things that need your attention.

    I just need you to OK the paperwork here and here (or whatever the order process is)


    Think About It Close – 2

    Of course

    Do you think 2-3 days would be long enough? (Be emphatic not in anyway sarcastic)

    Or would 2-3 weeks better? (Prospect will usually say 2-3 days is plenty)

    The truth is, no matter how long you take, you will be faced with the same 3 questions. May I share them with you?

    1. Does this product give what you want?

    2. Can you afford this product?

    3. Am I the kind of person you would want to do business with?

    If yes to all, point to the signature line


    Think About It Close – 3

    Good, most people want to take time to think about their decision before making it

    Let me ask you, on a scale of 1-10 –

    Ten being you are absolutely certain and ready to go

    And one being you wouldn’t take it if it was the last thing on earth.

    Where do you stand at this time?

    Get an answer.

    Then ask

    What would make it a ten?


    Think About It Close – 4

    I understand and as a consumer myself I have said the same thing because I...

    Didn’t want to confront the sales person

    Didn’t want to disappoint him/her

    Or

    There was a concern that hadn’t been addressed

    Which one is it for you?


    Adapt these to your personality, product or service.

    They can also be modified and used in the wonderful world of copywriting.

    They won't always work but they move the odds very much in your favor.

    Hope they help.


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Steve The Copywriter View Post

      Think About It Close – 2

      Of course

      Do you think 2-3 days would be long enough?

      Or would 2-3 weeks better? (Buyer will usually say 2-3 days is plenty)

      The truth is, no matter how long you take, you will be faced with the same 3 questions. May I share them with you?

      1. Does this product give what you want?

      2. Can you afford this product?

      3. Am I the kind of person you would want to do business with?

      If yes to all, point to the signature line
      Steve; You must read the same books I do. I've used almost this exact technique and had it work a couple of times. This is the kind of close you use if you are not planning to make a call back. If memory serves, this gets the sale about 20% of the time. However, you were about to walk out with nothing before you tried it, so why not?



      Originally Posted by Steve The Copywriter View Post

      Think About It Close – 3

      Good, most people want to take time to think about their decision before making it

      Let me ask you, on a scale of 1-10 –

      Ten being you are absolutely certain and ready to go

      And one being you wouldn’t take it if it was the last thing on earth.

      Where would you stand at this time?

      Get an answer.

      Then ask

      What would make it a ten?

      I'm glad you brought this one up. I call it my "7 Up trial close" This verbiage doesn't really close a sale, but it lets you know how close the customer thinks they are to buying. I may have asked this question a few hundred times. I call it my "7 Up trial close" because if they say anything between 7-9 (10 means they already bought), I know I have a great shot at a sale if I just stick with it.

      And out of a few hundred times of asking this question, I have never had anyone say 1-6 that went on to buy. So I learned that the presentation was over at that point.

      I would say "On a scale of one-ten, one being no interest in owning and ten meaning you already decided to own it...where are you now?"

      I would never ask "What would it take to get you to ten?" Because they don't know. And the answer they give will likely be something like "I don't know" or "Lower the price by half".

      I just ask "What did you like most about it?" and then I listen to the prospect get excited again. (this may take several minutes) Then I might ask "If you were to get it today, how would you pay for it?" And after they tell me, I ask "Is that OK then?"

      Most objections are just stalls, because they aren't used to the idea of buying yet. Sometimes it just takes a little time for the idea to soak in. And if they are close to buying, their own momentum will usually get them over the hump.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210519].message }}
  • Yes, often the prospect just need a few moments and a nudge to get them to buy.

    I gave the "edited" highlights in my dialogue (thanks for expanding on the details).

    (I usually do get an "answer" to the "what would make it a 10" - not always one that could be handled...)

    It was remiss of me not to mention one of the best books on selling in my collection...

    I believe it's called, let me think, errr, something like "One Call Closing"

    Can't quite remember who the author is...


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    Left out this all time favorite, which shows exactly why these closes from 40 years ago have become so familiar, prospects smell them coming, so familiar, they're mocked. Like in this show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBh0SpDoVZw&t=8s
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by helisell View Post

    Looks like your ads sometimes do what mine do!!

    They make someone realize that they WANT something....mmmmm....interesting.
    Far as I know, you can't MAKE someone want something, outside of some kind of CIA black ops brainwashing or something.

    Tell the story right, and they'll suddenly realize just how much they wanted something to begin with...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210632].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helisell
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Far as I know, you can't MAKE someone want something, outside of some kind of CIA black ops brainwashing or something.

      Tell the story right, and they'll suddenly realize just how much they wanted something to begin with...
      Aw spit......I've been making people WANT things for most of my adult selling career.

      They didn't WANT it when we first met....and they were never going to WANT it of their own volition.

      As a result of our interaction they definitely WANTED it.

      Like Claude's advert.....it was so good it made them WANT it.
      They may have had a need to fulfill.....but something made them WANT IT. ;0)
      Signature

      Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
    So for the people who are wondering where i been.

    I took claudes advice and invest learning sales through books. I just got my 500 word for word scripts book in the mail today, im excited for the others to come in.

    On top of that, i work a commission job selling time share(cold calling), yes i have made a sale at the JOB, so i definitely believe in myself.

    However, what i learn is that alot of time we have to lower the price to get the customer to buy which i think is weak, and i personally don't count it as "making a sale". However i don't own the place.

    Oh yeah my landlord is understandable of my situation, im just worried about how im going to eat and if i can make multiple sales a day working at my job.

    I know i can make one sale, i don't honestly believe its all a numbers game.

    There is this lady who has been at the job im at for 3 weeks, with some telemarketing experience, she consistently pulls in 1-3 sales a day. When she makes about the same amount of calls the rest of the crew makes. I'm thinking to myself, how can i do what she's doing when im a male.

    i took the job because i was tired of burning leads, at the job i learned what i was doing wrong and i continue to learn, so i can apply to it my business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210742].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
      Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post


      There is this lady who has been at the job im at for 3 weeks, with some telemarketing experience, she consistently pulls in 1-3 sales a day. When she makes about the same amount of calls the rest of the crew makes. I'm thinking to myself, how can i do what she's doing when im a male..

      You say how can you do what a girl does ? mate throw that thinking in the bin, your thinking is your barrier at times, there is nothing one gender can do better or worse in the applied topic, your only limitation is your thinking. as you think you are and at the moment your thinking says you can not because your a male and she is a female so she can ? rubbish > bin.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210847].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Clautusoar
        I know, i know. I guess what i was really trying to say is that i have a deep voice and i don't sound that friendly as she does.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210931].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
          Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

          I know, i know. I guess what i was really trying to say is that i have a deep voice and i don't sound that friendly as she does.
          Ok so lets work on that, because it is something you can change, most blokes are rasp, one I used to do when training others was to use an analagy of speaking like warm milk and honey. (something I still do Myself)

          So imagine you are sipping on a warm drink of milk and honey, how soft and smooth your voice is ( grab one and try it) well you can train your voice to work like that, most people do not naturally have a smooth voice but you can learn.

          I went out yesterday for the first time in around 15 - 20 years to help a mate do some cold door knocks for his business, so no script, going in cold, higher ticket items, a few hours, 2 good leads.

          Most of that was a milk n honey voice, was never told once to go away, and every single person was nice to me, so not bad for getting back on the bike.

          So it is good you see that this is something you can improve on, well done, success is not far if you keep improving.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11210985].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author animal44
      Originally Posted by Clautusoar View Post

      So for the people who are wondering where i been.
      Good to see you're still alive and kicking...
      Signature

      I stayed up all night trying to figure out where the Sun went.
      Then it dawned on me...
      What I do for a living

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11211397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    .....and it's that transference of certainty that makes them want it.

    Making some one WANT something......
    (that we have)

    Should we do it ethically?

    That fits their needs

    Now

    Not tomorrow....or next week but right Now

    So Selling is
    'Making someone WANT something that we have....that fits their needs....Now'

    If they already want it, then no selling required....i.e 'I saw your ad '

    Done badly we can make them WANT something that we don't have.

    It is possible to sell something that doesn't fit their needs (but only once, no repeat business)
    so we have to qualify well. Which is great because that put us in charge (like the doctor)

    It has to be now...or we end up waiting for the 'be back bus' (you know the bus that is going to bring them all back in...like they said they would)

    'Yes they definitely WANT the car boss...........they've just gone away for a coffee and they'll be back this afternoon'.
    I can remember clearly the first time that happened to me. There was never a second time. I'm a quick learner.
    Signature

    Just an old goat who knows quite a lot about sales and marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11212009].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics