Two Sales Book Titles

23 replies
I still buy and read sales books.

I saw this title and it made me laugh How To Sell To An Idiot.

I had to have this book. Even though the reviews were terrible, even though it may contain nothing new or useful...the title was unique.

The title was also terrible positioning. Do you think that you sell to idiots? Does your offer appeal to idiots? Why in the world would you want an idiot as a customer/client?

I just got the book and haven't read it yet. Maybe it's satirical. Maybe the first line will be "Your customers aren't idiots. The title was designed to get you to buy the book. Now lets get to work on how to sell...."


I think the title is attractive to two types of salespeople;
1) Guys like me that thought it was funny.
2) Salespeople that think that the people they see are idiots.

Anyway.....

The second book title was One-Hour a Day to 6 Figures. I just ordered the book, and really don't know what it's about, although the reviews were good on Amazon.

My first thought was that it would be a great title if the book is on Sales Prospecting....or marketing your business.

It gives the vague requirement of one hour a day, and offers a huge income. My guess is that people reading the title are thinking "Sure, I'll invest an hour a day to grow my income. That sounds completely doable".

And the title is smart in not saying "Work One Hour A Day". The title doesn't even tell you that it's going to be real work. Some people are thinking "Maybe that hour a day is watching TV, or meditating, or going for a walk, or setting goals, or eating fish".

Saying it's work is unattractive. A great book title with much to teach us. It reminds me of Think And Grow Rich. A perfect title offering riches, implying no physical effort.
#book #sales #titles
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    Why in the world would you want an idiot as a customer/client?
    I wouldn't particularly WANT an idiot as a client or customer, but honestly, as long as their payment clears, I couldn't care less if someone has to feed and dress them in the morning.

    Who am I to judge. :-)
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    How To Sell Books To An Idiot
    Maybe Claude read the title wrong?

    j/k
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author helisell
    Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

    I still buy and read sales books.

    I saw this title and it made me laugh How To Sell To An Idiot.

    I had to have this book. Even though the reviews were terrible, even though it may contain nothing new or useful...the title was unique.

    The title was also terrible positioning. Do you think that you sell to idiots? Does your offer appeal to idiots? Why in the world would you want an idiot as a customer/client?

    I just got the book and haven't read it yet. Maybe it's satirical. Maybe the first line will be "Your customers aren't idiots. The title was designed to get you to buy the book. Now lets get to work on how to sell...."


    I think the title is attractive to two types of salespeople;
    1) Guys like me that thought it was funny.
    2) Salespeople that think that the people they see are idiots.

    Anyway.....

    The second book title was One-Hour a Day to 6 Figures. I just ordered the book, and really don't know what it's about, although the reviews were good on Amazon.

    My first thought was that it would be a great title if the book is on Sales Prospecting....or marketing your business.

    It gives the vague requirement of one hour a day, and offers a huge income. My guess is that people reading the title are thinking "Sure, I'll invest an hour a day to grow my income. That sounds completely doable".

    And the title is smart in not saying "Work One Hour A Day". The title doesn't even tell you that it's going to be real work. Some people are thinking "Maybe that hour a day is watching TV, or meditating, or going for a walk, or setting goals, or eating fish".

    Saying it's work is unattractive. A great book title with much to teach us. It reminds me of Think And Grow Rich. A perfect title offering riches, implying no physical effort.
    Got the point......and love it.

    Got me thinking of potential book titles too.

    "Selling to the unsellable"

    "Sell all the 'dead leads'"

    "Success without the GlenGarry leads"

    "Ice to Eskimos and snow as an upsell!"

    "Get a 'yes' in 15 seconds or less"

    Who needs great content when there are buyers like you around Claude? ;0)
    Signature

    Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
    Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

    Say This Instead

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385452].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      Got the point......and love it.

      Got me thinking of potential book titles too.

      "Selling to the unsellable"

      "Sell all the 'dead leads'"

      "Success without the GlenGarry leads"

      "Ice to Eskimos and snow as an upsell!"

      "Get a 'yes' in 15 seconds or less"

      Who needs great content when there are buyers like you around Claude? ;0)
      Wow. A few of those titles are so good, I want to buy the book..or write it.

      Added later; I agree with Frank. "Ice to Eskimos and snow as an upsell!" is perfect.

      "Sell all the 'dead leads'" has near universal appeal. A variant of that is "Turn Your Dead Leads Into Cash"

      "Get a 'yes' in 15 seconds or less" also has universal appeal.

      Really, a glimpse into a real marketing mind.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385538].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author helisell
        Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

        Wow. A few of those titles are so good, I want to buy the book..or write it.

        Added later; I agree with Frank. "Ice to Eskimos and snow as an upsell!" is perfect.

        "Sell all the 'dead leads'" has near universal appeal. A variant of that is "Turn Your Dead Leads Into Cash"

        "Get a 'yes' in 15 seconds or less" also has universal appeal.

        Really, a glimpse into a real marketing mind.
        Aw Shucks Claude
        Signature

        Making Calls To Sell Something? What are you actually saying?
        Is there any room for improvement? Want to find out?

        Say This Instead

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11388683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      "Ice to Eskimos and snow as an upsell!"
      Absolutely perfect.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385574].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Originally Posted by helisell View Post

      "Ice to Eskimos and snow as an upsell!"


      How about "How to cold call Eskimos"?

      *******************

      Frank, too soon?
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385682].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        How about "How to cold call Eskimos"?

        *******************

        Frank, too soon?
        No. I like it. First time you've brought a smile to my face. I'm marking the day on the calendar I received from my plumber.
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Interesting titles. Both seem lower energy. So along with attracting folks wanting a laugh, each author may see the desperate, the greedy and the angry as readers. Not exactly my ideal reader base But to each their own.

    Ultimately though, the clarity of each author determines the reader base. If each is a light-hearted, practical read, then good for them.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    If you want to become a full time blogger you can buy my eBook here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11385674].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    The first book is definitely something that catches attention and for that alone it makes one curious, and eventually makes you to decide to buy the book. I know because I would definitely buy it. However this book is for a specific set of audience and not for everyone, the title should already give it away. Nonetheless it's still something that piqued my interest.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.phlanx.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11386612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affmarketer101
    "How To Sell To An Idiot" - I feel I am an idiot when I hear this title.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11386752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by affmarketer101 View Post

      "How To Sell To An Idiot" - I feel I am an idiot when I hear this title.

      The book title suggests that the reader sees his customers as idiots.....or the enemy. There is a certain view that some salespeople take that it's them VS the customer. That "Buyers are liars". That mentality comes through to the prospect. It sabotages your sales.

      Some salespeople think their prospects are stupid. They aren't. They just don't know as much about the offer as the person presenting it. If your prospect were already as knowledgeable as you, they would already have bought before you got there....and you wouldn't be necessary.


      A companion view is that...if the sale isn't made...it's because the prospect is stupid, or a liar, or a time waster. It's a way for a mediocre salesperson to not accept responsibility for their own performance.

      In my experience, the people that think like that never make it very far.

      A better title might be "How To Make Sales If You're An Idiot".

      In fact, I think here is a title like "An Idiot's Guide To Selling".


      When I was a teenager, a few of my friends (we were all from poor families) and I were driving through a very nice neighborhood with expensive homes. My friends said things like "It must be nice to be that rich" and "Some people get all the luck".

      I said "I wonder what they know that we don't?"

      And it was one of the key moments I realized that my friends and I didn't think the same way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11386824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amuro
    To be honest, I don't know much about those books and so am not in the position to comment.

    But what I can say is that in order to market and make money, you need a product to sell and provided the product has huge demand.

    Secondly you need to know where and how to reach out to people who need that product.

    Thirdly, you need to know how to connect with them and eventually recommend whatever you want to promote.

    Can be your own product or other people's products you are promoting as an affiliate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11387051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
      Originally Posted by amuro View Post

      you need a product to sell and provided the product has huge demand.
      Maybe if you're selling $1 widgets. Not so much if you're selling $1M McMansions. In that case, a few sales per year, should suffice.
      Signature

      "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11388864].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

        Maybe if you're selling $1 widgets. Not so much if you're selling $1M McMansions. In that case, a few sales per year, should suffice.


        McMansions are out, $1,600 sq ft tiny homes are in.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11388879].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          Not in my world. If you've got it, flaunt it. I just spent almost $1600 on a group of rare, tropical fish. lol
          Signature

          "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11388896].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

            Not in my world. If you've got it, flaunt it. I just spent almost $1600 on a group of rare, tropical fish. lol

            Selling tiny homes vs mcmansions is brilliant, you can quadruple your sq ft cost and buyers think it's great ("I'm saving the planet!").

            You can't put a mcmansion on a very small plot of land so they're basically selling land that was previously unusable. Lol, selling overpriced closets.

            Good luck with the tropical fish, they like to die.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11390771].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
              Originally Posted by yukon View Post

              Good luck with the tropical fish, they like to die.
              I have tropical fish that were mature adults when I imported them and they are still going strong, and breeding, too - 12 years, later.

              Everything dies, sooner or later. It's a beautiful thing. It's called nature.
              Signature

              "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11390795].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author yukon
                Originally Posted by OptedIn View Post

                I have tropical fish that were mature adults when I imported them and they are still going strong, and breeding, too - 12 years, later.

                Everything dies, sooner or later. It's a beautiful thing. It's called nature.

                Your fish tank probably isn't nature.

                Difficult time believing 12 years for a saltwater fish in a fish tank. Theoretically it's possible but not typical.
                Signature
                Hi
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11390814].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
                  Originally Posted by yukon View Post

                  Your fish tank probably isn't nature.
                  As close as you're going to get. I've been doing this since I was 8 years old and at one time I had 325 aquariums on my farm.

                  Difficult time believing 12 years for a saltwater fish in a fish tank. Theoretically it's possible but not typical.
                  Actually, they are fresh water catfish (Corydoras) from S. America. I have friends with 20 year old specimens.

                  I was the first person in the world to captive spawn this species and have had 110 Corydoras species spawn for me.



                  Cheers.
                  Signature

                  "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11390835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jwilliams1
    Never read a book until you know the author and what i say by knowing the author is that the author should apply what he preaches i mean if he talks about getting rich, look whether or not he is rich and if he is or she is rich, find out how that person became rich, by selling his or her book or by something else, you got the point. There are tons of "experts" out there that are not successful but still teach success lessons. So my best advice for you is to never stop upgrading yourself! Wish you all, all the best!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11387381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jessica Ambos
    A book title will either make or break the interest of the reader. To me, how titles are projected to its audience will generate its popularity but of course the content of the book also has to be really good. A book will be picked up if they have a catchy title. That's how it "jumps" to me. And those book titles are pretty good suggestions I must say. I'd want to pick up one of those books one day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11387414].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterme
    The second book title was One-Hour a Day to 6 Figures. I just ordered the book, and really don't know what it's about, although the reviews were good on Amazon.
    I haven't read it but I've just read "The Five Day Weekend" which may or may not rip on a similar theme. Namely, that the idea of working 40+ hours a week, Monday through Friday, for fifty years, retiring afterwards, having been normalized in our culture, is sort of like believing in The Matrix. It's only believed that's the way things have to be. Because money can be made with much less time, much less effort and enjoyed right now.
    Signature
    "Best book on answering objections I have seen... it's for photographers but it has brilliant techniques you can use in any business." - Claude Whitacre. When They Say That, You Say This (Amazon Kindle)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11390746].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics