Sell the Offer, NOT the product...

29 replies
If you handle the marketing for a service provider that sells the same products as everyone else, especially complimentary products, there is a way you can 10x your results.

Focus on selling the offer, NOT the product.

Lets look at examples.
How about HVAC.
What do their "sales" look like...

They talk about unit X and all its specs and how it's normally $1495 but right now its on sale for $995.

Then their competitor lists unit X for $949.
The next competitor for 3 easy payments of $299.
and on and on the game goes...

Want to change the game?
Create and sell the offer!

Think of those late-night info commercials where they say "but wait, if you act now..."
Those are not still around for no reason...

In HVAV imagine a customer sees this offer/copy.

NOTE: numbers and copy made up and very rough, simply to illustrate the point...

We have noticed that Unit X is on sale for the best price of the year at several reputable providers, but we found it wasn't helping local residents stay warmer at all!
Don't buy unit X before you read about these issues.

Unit X is an amazing unit from a reputable manufacturer, designed to keep [our town] home owners warmer and more comfortable in winter.

We were shocked to hear that it was not working as expected!

Upon further investigation we found out that its advantages were being negated by the leakage in duct work systems built before 2012, and to make matters worse the increased air flow delivered by Unit X was dramatically increasing warm air leakage through attics with "builder standard' insulation levels.

Our ventilation engineers went to work on the problem and have found a solution!
And to rectify this problem we are making a limited time offer.
Not only are we selling Unit X at the lowest price you will ever see it, but until Nov 1st we will also include our patented vent seal service ( a $499 value ) and our attic insulation top up ( a $399 value) absolutely free with the purchase.

WIth one purchase, all completed in one visit, you will have the most reputable unit on the market with a 10 year warranty, dramatically increase your ductwork efficiency (almost like having a new home) and stop that warm clean air from escaping through your attic.

Warm clean air, saving and piece of mind.

Thanks to our efficient crews we can do this quickly and with minimal disruption to your home BUT we must limit this offer to a deadline of Nov 1st, as beyond that date, our entire industry is simply too busy to provide so much free labour.

------------------------------

now use your imagination to bundle, create offers and STOP simply focusing on the product.
#offer #product #sell
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author eccj
    That reads like an awesome radio ad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ewenmack
    Looks like I've tatooed onto your brain this...

    "Don't Buy Until ..."

    Then layout the options a buyer has, then knock em' out of the ring.

    Or called, Resetting The Buying Criteria.

    Ewen has to take credit wherever he can get it...
    even if he has no clue if you got it from me or not!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
    You are also telling a story. You are also pre-answering any buying objections.
    You are also setting yourself up as the "go to guy" in your industry...

    And...

    By building an offer instead of a commodity, pricing, and price selling becomes far less important.
    And....the customer cannot shop for a lower price, if you are selling a combination of solutions...and selling them as a total offer, instead of something they can price shop on Amazon.com.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dana67
    Great advice. You are also selling a benefit and fulfilling a need.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394842].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394890].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    I dig selling myself too Peter. Other folks can sell the same product. Other folks can even make the same offer. How can you stand out? Nobody on earth can be me and can share my genuine take so I play that roll to the hilt with my blog and brand. Before folks buy something, they tend to check the source. Meaning....you!
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    If you want to become a full time blogger you can buy my eBook here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mdh9702
    thanks a lot for your helpful this post
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salsym
    Originally Posted by Peter Lessard View Post

    If you handle the marketing for a service provider that sells the same products as everyone else, especially complimentary products, there is a way you can 10x your results.

    Focus on selling the offer, NOT the product.

    Lets look at examples.
    How about HVAC.
    What do their "sales" look like...

    They talk about unit X and all its specs and how it's normally $1495 but right now its on sale for $995.

    Then their competitor lists unit X for $949.
    The next competitor for 3 easy payments of $299.
    and on and on the game goes...

    Want to change the game?
    Create and sell the offer!

    Think of those late-night info commercials where they say "but wait, if you act now..."
    Those are not still around for no reason...

    In HVAV imagine a customer sees this offer/copy.

    NOTE: numbers and copy made up and very rough, simply to illustrate the point...

    We have noticed that Unit X is on sale for the best price of the year at several reputable providers, but we found it wasn't helping local residents stay warmer at all!
    Don't buy unit X before you read about these issues.

    Unit X is an amazing unit from a reputable manufacturer, designed to keep [our town] home owners warmer and more comfortable in winter.

    We were shocked to hear that it was not working as expected!

    Upon further investigation we found out that its advantages were being negated by the leakage in duct work systems built before 2012, and to make matters worse the increased air flow delivered by Unit X was dramatically increasing warm air leakage through attics with "builder standard' insulation levels.

    Our ventilation engineers went to work on the problem and have found a solution!
    And to rectify this problem we are making a limited time offer.
    Not only are we selling Unit X at the lowest price you will ever see it, but until Nov 1st we will also include our patented vent seal service ( a $499 value ) and our attic insulation top up ( a $399 value) absolutely free with the purchase.

    WIth one purchase, all completed in one visit, you will have the most reputable unit on the market with a 10 year warranty, dramatically increase your ductwork efficiency (almost like having a new home) and stop that warm clean air from escaping through your attic.

    Warm clean air, saving and piece of mind.

    Thanks to our efficient crews we can do this quickly and with minimal disruption to your home BUT we must limit this offer to a deadline of Nov 1st, as beyond that date, our entire industry is simply too busy to provide so much free labour.

    ------------------------------

    now use your imagination to bundle, create offers and STOP simply focusing on the product.
    I totally agree with you. And to add to what you said, in my business I create my product cost too flexible depending upon who is my client. If I have a regular client who gives me regular orders, obviously his cost will be different. I calculate how much business this company has already given me and how much I am likely to get in future. So for me it becomes customer and activity based costing rather than the product based costing alone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nabeelzahid
    very nice and informative information thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395321].message }}
  • As the old adage goes "Sell the sizzle, not the steak"

    Most successful sales people, usually offers bonus products to drive the sale.

    Packaging a number of products and services together as an offer, as you have so nicely illustrated Peter, is more attractive to a prospect, than merely getting them to buy a single product at a low price.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CoachAneirin
    I'm going to keep following your posts so I can learn to write copy like you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rygolf 32
    It's all about consultative selling and being a trusted partner, not just a product/service pusher! Great thoughts!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11396410].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chuckholmes
      Originally Posted by Rygolf 32 View Post

      It's all about consultative selling and being a trusted partner, not just a product/service pusher! Great thoughts!
      I learned this valuable lesson from Dan Kennedy. Be the trusted advisor, not the salesperson. Do that and you will be the welcomed guest, not the uninvited pest.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11409229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GS12
    This is perfect. We get so stuck on selling the product like everyone else, but FORGET that the offer is literally what makes people buy in that moment.

    It's the reason why people click Facebook ads to go to an eCommerce shop to check out a "Deal".

    It's why Groupon became so popular.

    It's also important to remember that content marketing + J.V with authorities Is king to make yourself an authority in the space too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11397320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author peterwalla987
    Banned
    Nice post, thanks for the post. You can buy products that are usable for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11397344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sid Owsley
    I'm going to go buy this hvac unit right now and I don't even need it! Great job with this example. I have to constantly remind myself of this principle because it's so easy to focus on the wrong things.
    Focusing on the product is an easy trap to fall into and you really show in your example how to focus on the offer and benefits instead.

    Thanks for sharing this post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11400000].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheTwoPointZero
    Thank you. This is very helpful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11400110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amuro
    Great post though providing value in what you offer is just as important.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11401207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chuckholmes
    Here are some of my best tips.

    1. Focus on benefits, not features

    Most people care more about what a product can do, rather than the details of the product. Sell the hole, not the drill.

    2. Tell a good story they can't forget

    Come up with an amazing story. Your whole sales pitch should sound like a good story.

    3. Focus on fear of loss

    People will do more because of the fear of loss than the hope for gain.

    4. Have an irresistable offer with a deadline

    Give an offer people can't refuse, just like the infomericals do. Get people to act now!

    5. Use Testimonials

    One of the most important things you can do in your ad or offer is use testimonials from satisfied customers.

    I hope that helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11409227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wawriterslife
    What a great training on how to sell. You made aware the problem, you grasped the readers' attention, and you closed the sell with an irresistible promotional offer. I took note of it! Thanks Peter.
    Signature
    Passion for Success • The Home of Affiliate Marketing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11412322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brownr
    Wow, It's a great marketing strategy ever. Keep it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11413131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarahboyer
    Wow, It provides us with a great marketing strategy. I also follow your threat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11413508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jade Lees
    Nice,This is awesome
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11416115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OriginDisplays
    Do you have any tips for promoting such business which usual people cannot use or afford and have very specific audience area?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11417232].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Lessard
      Originally Posted by OriginDisplays View Post

      Do you have any tips for promoting such business which usual people cannot use or afford and have very specific audience area?
      It's difficult to give advice not knowing what you are selling but I will address what I know so far.

      Basically what you are saying is the item in question is NOT for everybody, its expensive and it is tied to a certain geography.

      I cannot speak to if your product is any good or needed but I can say this.

      Imagine your market is all the people at a party. If everyone at the party needed it then you start doing very basic marketing and hope some buy. It seems easier to sell to everyone but to be honest many companies go broke trying to sell to everyone as they never develop decent messaging.

      BUT, if you knew that of all the hundreds of people at the party only 8 where potential buyers, it is MUCH easier to target them, learn about them and develop the exact messaging and follow up that would turn them into buyers...

      On the subject of "most cannot afford" the approach to selling it is to find the ones that can afford it and build messaging that shows them the value or why they should have it.
      Signature
      Ready to generate the next million in sales? The Next Million Agency
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11417249].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author originmenuboards
        On the subject of "most cannot afford" the approach to selling it is to find the ones that can afford it and build messaging that shows them the value or why they should have it.
        I think this would be the perfect approach.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11417683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author newton
    You make some good points. People don't want to buy products, they want to buy results. That's why as a marketer, if you can provide value for free in showing your own results of a product, then you barely have to 'sell' it at all.
    Signature
    FREE REPORT REVEALS: "How I Made $1,913.66 With Less Than 60 Minutes 'Work' Flipping A Simple Website"
    --> Click Here For Instant Access
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11417689].message }}
  • Maybe it is just me....but i cannot f**** stand "car salesman" tricks when trying to sell to me...I can see right through it and i hate it.

    I like:

    100% honesty. Tell me exactly what i am getting. Tell me about the potential and the risks. Don't start guaranteeing me success.

    If i am ready to buy/invest I'll do it off my own back...no need to push me into it or start adding all kinds of "bonuses" on. It comes across as desperate.

    Maybe as i deal with H.N.W. and businesses it's a complete different process than selling to Joe Public? I prefer to deal in facts not in fiction.

    But the hyped up, systematic, high pressured sales process makes me laugh...and not buy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roy kajal
    Lessard, your idea is good & helpful for any other business man. But business man are focusing there products not service. I think they are go in wrong wey.
    Regard's
    Roy..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425528].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics