Revisiting the dotcom years

11 replies
I'm thinking of jumping on the AI bandwagon, so I was just wondering:



1-How much of a parallel can we draw between the dotcom years and the rise of Artificial Intelligence?


What prompted this question was a remark on another forum as to how the 90s had a wild west quality to it ----

The underlying theme was that it was much easier to do well in the field back then because the standard for professionalism was lower.



Being too young to work then, I wouldn't know but is it something similar with AI today? It seems most people are self-taught.



My question is:

looking back then and now, what's the best position to be for a relatively non-tech person to enter the field?



Thoughts?
#dotcom #revisiting #years
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
    Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

    Thoughts?
    As usual, Google is your friend: "Breaking into AI" About 2,200 results (0.40 seconds)

    Not the best search term, but it's a test.

    "Skills required for AI" AI Career Path - A Step By Step Guide

    https://findcareerinfo.com/artificia...e-career-path/

    Cheers.
    Signature

    "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11402366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

    1-How much of a parallel can we draw between the dotcom years and the rise of Artificial Intelligence?

    What prompted this question was a remark on another forum as to how the 90s had a wild west quality to it ----

    The underlying theme was that it was much easier to do well in the field back then because the standard for professionalism was lower.

    Being too young to work then, I wouldn't know but is it something similar with AI today? It seems most people are self-taught.

    My question is:

    looking back then and now, what's the best position to be for a relatively non-tech person to enter the field?
    IF the 90's were the wild west ( and they were ) how does AI compare? it doesnt. The 90's / early 2000's was everybody and their brother with an idea and running with it... some ideas were worthy, others were not, but the whole concept was so new, no one knew one from the other - everyone just wanted on the band wagon.

    The greatest point of comparison... the 90's would be the front end, and AI is this deep dark secret aspect of a backend.... So basically looking at the concept that form follows function.. the 90's was the form, and AI is without question the function.

    The couple of buy outs i am familiar with in the new era of AI have not so much been investments in the company.. but buying the brains behind the company out of the hole they are in and placing them on high paying contracts.

    That being said.. it can be assumed that anyone that has the ability to develop some sort of AI in the private sector is going to be lacking some if any amount of front end skills. Finding these people and developing a partnership based on balancing strengths and weakness' seems to be the current path that is seeing results.

    Basically the idea concept guy paired with the technical ability to make whatever it is happen.

    Try checking out some local meet ups... look for that small think tankish group of people that think they are going to change the world.. and become the middle man between their concepts and reality - a front man of sorts.
    Signature
    Some of the Best Local Strategies on the Net https://incomebully.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11402430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author socialentry
      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

      The couple of buy outs i am familiar with in the new era of AI have not so much been investments in the company.. but buying the brains behind the company out of the hole they are in and placing them on high paying contracts.

      That being said.. it can be assumed that anyone that has the ability to develop some sort of AI in the private sector is going to be lacking some if any amount of front end skills. Finding these people and developing a partnership based on balancing strengths and weakness' seems to be the current path that is seeing results.

      Basically the idea concept guy paired with the technical ability to make whatever it is happen.

      Try checking out some local meet ups... look for that small think tankish group of people that think they are going to change the world.. and become the middle man between their concepts and reality - a front man of sorts.
      Would that be helpful to get a job in AI as programmer for 2-3 years if I want to go that route or would that be a distraction?


      When you say concept/idea guy, do you mean for example a domain expert (not AI) that that sees the big picture and how the pieces of the puzzles fit in?



      Or more like a general marketer that brings a more or less ready made idea to market?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11403023].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

        Would that be helpful to get a job in AI as programmer for 2-3 years if I want to go that route or would that be a distraction?
        A programmer is a programmer.. having experience in the AI field is certainly not going to hurt.. but at the end of the day your probably not overly increasing your value.

        Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

        When you say concept/idea guy, do you mean for example a domain expert (not AI) that that sees the big picture and how the pieces of the puzzles fit in?
        An example.... having AI specialists around... I could have great knowledge about Niche X and what exactly the pain points are and have an idea of how to fix those pains... but would have no clue how to, let alone that i would need to intigrate Bayes' theorem or Logistic regression to deveop a working outcome. Enter a guy/gal thatcan develop a working model to fit the need.. and then jointly bringing a product to market.

        Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

        Or more like a general marketer that brings a more or less ready made idea to market?
        Using the example above.. I have this great product now what? LOL

        I would say to some extent someone with a balance of all 3? understanding the mathmatical aspects enough to understand the possibilities.. having the ability to know thatAI could be applied to the problem.. and then having the ability to bring all of thatto market.

        I will say this... I am sure you have read AI stuff online.... they are in thier own little world, and they speak thier own little language... And there needs to be a bridge. Concepts and products need to be delivered in a language that can be understood by the target market. Right now.. you just dont see much of that. read this: AI techniques then at the bottom right above the comments click the <-- back Applications to get to the page on what the physical applications could be... and all the sudden for most, as much as you say Ahh.. that makes sense.. you still dont have a clue LOL

        So reading that.. a simple app for the landscape industry to plot all points of entry and exit on a house or building, with points of interest ( IE Gazeabo, basketball court, pool etc ) and then map out path lines.

        I would be the idea guy LOL - that could bring the app to market
        Signature
        Some of the Best Local Strategies on the Net https://incomebully.com/
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11403075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobinCDrum
    Hi, IF that the ninety's were that the west ( plus so these certainly were ) just how can AI examine? it doesn't. Even the 90's / early 2000's was everyone along with his brother using a notion and working with it... several thoughts were worthy, but the others are maybe perhaps not, nevertheless the entire notion was new, nobody knew you by one opposite - everybody else simply wanted around the group.
    Have a nice time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11402737].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bear Trader
      Originally Posted by RobinCDrum View Post

      Hi, IF that the ninety's were that the west ( plus so these certainly were ) just how can AI examine? it doesn't. Even the 90's / early 2000's was everyone along with his brother using a notion and working with it... several thoughts were worthy, but the others are maybe perhaps not, nevertheless the entire notion was new, nobody knew you by one opposite - everybody else simply wanted around the group.
      Have a nice time.

      If you feel the 90's was an era when everyone had an online idea then you dont know whats going on now. The startup craze is at unreal levels. Number of startup and incubators with billions being lost is insane. The reason why many are unaware is because the press and not making a story about it because its old hat. But lets just say dot.com boom back then was nothing to whats going on now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11422972].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by Bear Trader View Post

        The reason why many are unaware is because the press and not making a story about it because its old hat.
        If the press is not making a story about it, how are you so well informed as to what's taking place?

        Just curious, is all. :-)
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11422988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author offmarketinvestor
    i'd put the crypto craze into this bracket...a few early leaders then 10,000+ poor imitations.

    But not on the scale of the dot/com bubble.

    Think it take a few more years for that to repeat...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11405934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author offmarketinvestor
    Originally Posted by socialentry View Post

    I'm thinking of jumping on the AI bandwagon, so I was just wondering:



    1-How much of a parallel can we draw between the dotcom years and the rise of Artificial Intelligence?


    What prompted this question was a remark on another forum as to how the 90s had a wild west quality to it ----

    The underlying theme was that it was much easier to do well in the field back then because the standard for professionalism was lower.



    Being too young to work then, I wouldn't know but is it something similar with AI today? It seems most people are self-taught.



    My question is:

    looking back then and now, what's the best position to be for a relatively non-tech person to enter the field?



    Thoughts?
    So let me get this right....you want to get into the AI business...but come on here asking about it?

    You got the artificial bit right but where is the Intelligence?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11405936].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author socialentry
      Originally Posted by offmarketinvestor View Post

      So let me get this right....you want to get into the AI business...but come on here asking about it?

      You got the artificial bit right but where is the Intelligence?

      bro, without insulting you, I'm just gonna say this:



      some here have the math chops to understand the subject matter, have much heavier background in IT then I and also have a marketing background. I value their opinion.



      Don't assume because you have no clue everyone else has no clue.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11407042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    If a movement has a heavy FEAR-greed-desperate energy like the dot com craze, the crash will come and it will vanish. Built primarily on an illusion; fear. Truth prevails.

    If a movement has a heavy harmony-service-good energy, like many of the tech advancements we use today, it will last for a pretty darn long time, and will dominate humanity.

    We'll see where humanity decides to take AI; for the good of humanity, from a patient, generous harmonious energy? Or not. Always up to the people, not the niche/movement.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad
    If you want to become a full time blogger you can buy my eBook here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11405957].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics