How to get new leads coming in when you've hit a rut (SEO company)

13 replies
I've done SEO full-time for 15 years now. My agency is small, it's basically myself and some freelancers that I outsource multiple tasks to (design/content), and I mainly service the legal niche.

4 months ago, I had a local law firm split up, one partner kept the firm and the other started his own smaller firm, who told me he could afford to retain us at $2k/month. I told him it would be a bit of a ramp-up period, which he said he was prepared for but come to find out he wasn't and 3 months later he switches to a local marketing agency promising him the world. They've been doing some black-hat link building with a little success, but I'm having a hard time competing with marketing agencies and big players in the legal SEO industry lately.

A year prior, I had a big firm ($3k/month) leave for one of the major legal players (Scorpion Designs), and with $5k/month out the door over the past year, and my website struggling to rank for the big legal SEO terms, I've fallen behind. I've had a hard time competing with the big legal SEO companies, and on top of it my website was hacked 2 months ago and I've had literally no leads coming in. I've been taking on random outsourced projects for $700/month which I told myself I would never do, but I guess I have to pay the bills somehow. It's been killing my motivation, there's nothing worse than money problems filling your day with stress and hopefully you understand the urgency given that I'm posting this.

I finally got my site back up and am rebranding, but it's getting tough with 15 years of experience, I'm now working from home because I had to let my office space go, and I guess I'm looking for anyone who can chime in and help me get out of this rut.

How are you adding new clients? Are they paying as much as they used to (if you do SEO)? My average monthly retainer when I started my company in 2012 was $3k-$5k and I had no problem landing clients at this level. Lately, signing up a $3k/month client would basically be like me hitting the lottery. How can I get out of this loser mindset and get back to managing a lower number of higher-end clients, or generate more leads? Any feedback is appreciated, I still enjoy SEO and I consider myself really good at it, I just need some insight from anyone who has been doing this for a while and managed to continue to evolve in an increasingly competitive SEO landscape in 2019.
#lead generation #local seo #marketing #seo
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by georgebizpro View Post

    I've done SEO full-time for 15 years now. My agency is small, it's basically myself and some freelancers that I outsource multiple tasks to (design/content), and I mainly service the legal niche.

    4 months ago, I had a local law firm split up, one partner kept the firm and the other started his own smaller firm, who told me he could afford to retain us at $2k/month. I told him it would be a bit of a ramp-up period, which he said he was prepared for but come to find out he wasn't and 3 months later he switches to a local marketing agency promising him the world. They've been doing some black-hat link building with a little success, but I'm having a hard time competing with marketing agencies and big players in the legal SEO industry lately.

    A year prior, I had a big firm ($3k/month) leave for one of the major legal players (Scorpion Designs), and with $5k/month out the door over the past year, and my website struggling to rank for the big legal SEO terms, I've fallen behind. I've had a hard time competing with the big legal SEO companies, and on top of it my website was hacked 2 months ago and I've had literally no leads coming in. I've been taking on random outsourced projects for $700/month which I told myself I would never do, but I guess I have to pay the bills somehow. It's been killing my motivation, there's nothing worse than money problems filling your day with stress and hopefully you understand the urgency given that I'm posting this.

    I finally got my site back up and am rebranding, but it's getting tough with 15 years of experience, I'm now working from home because I had to let my office space go, and I guess I'm looking for anyone who can chime in and help me get out of this rut.

    How are you adding new clients? Are they paying as much as they used to (if you do SEO)? My average monthly retainer when I started my company in 2012 was $3k-$5k and I had no problem landing clients at this level. Lately, signing up a $3k/month client would basically be like me hitting the lottery. How can I get out of this loser mindset and get back to managing a lower number of higher-end clients, or generate more leads? Any feedback is appreciated, I still enjoy SEO and I consider myself really good at it, I just need some insight from anyone who has been doing this for a while and managed to continue to evolve in an increasingly competitive SEO landscape in 2019.
    My personal experience as a web designer was building 30K+ custom html whale sites and that market started to fizzle. I ended up not beating them and joining them and built Wordpress sites. I now make more than I ever did with the whale sites.

    I know the answer before I ask... but why beat your head in one of the hardest markets when you could drop a ring or 2 into less competitive markets, work less get paid less but at the end of the day make more?

    SEO is SEO, and you have proven your worth for 15 yrs now in the Legal Niche. a better man than me, that is actually a niche I stay away from for the most part.. to much stress. You need to diversify.. bring on 10 clients for $1000 each a month for $10,000 a month in revenue probably work less ( time ) and make more.. and when you loose a client.. its not such a big deal, and you go out and get another.

    If you think of clients as a possible liability.. you have a total of 3 clients and lose one... you are instantly 33%+ in the hole. Lose 2 and you start losing stuff like offices and cars etc. And from the sounds of it, you have been on a good run, but Good things must end, and you need to adapt.

    My advice.. Diversify across a few niches, decrease a clients potential liability and loss to your business. Increase client load, decrease client cost, and because you have left the probably hardest SEO Niche on the planet, your overall work load will shrink, and your effect of loss as a business will be minimalized. YOU will probably be less stressed, your clients will be thankful, and you will in the end gain more financially.

    My 2 Cents...

    Hope that Helps!
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549076].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StevenTylerPjs
      I know nothing about SEO. It's always been one of those things I consider trying to learn, then read about how it's a race-to-the-bottom and "over-saturated". So I put it on the back burner.

      But would taking on 10 new clients actually be less work for him though?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549243].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by StevenTylerPjs View Post

        But would taking on 10 new clients actually be less work for him though?
        I would without question answer this a YES. It appears he had 3 or 4 clients. Was working enough that it warranted an "office". And I will bet was spending more time there, than he was at home.

        Some personal examples I do local SEO for a bike shop. Last month for $400 I put in a total of 3 hours of time. Citation building, sent a content plan, ok'd and posted 6 pieces of content, and created 2 creatives for his social media. My personal travel site... forget content creation and social media creatives I am in at 20 hours for the month. Backlink building, citation building, a far more hands on in depth watch at site Analytics, identifying strengths and weaknesses and reacting accordingly, Keyword research, looking for other points of opportunity.. generally speaking a ton of work. I am thinking based on his Rate scale my travel account would fall in the $2500 a month category. ( not including the content creation )

        Law and Travel are as close to equal as you can get for the most part - in terms of work. Except one is location in nature, and the other has a tendency to being more international. I would say that Law is going to be a bit more difficult over time actually keeping what you have gained vs the travel niche.

        My own personal examples... 1 account $2500 and 20 hours ( not including content creation ) vs multiplying out 7 accounts at $400 and 21 hours of time ( including some amount of content creation ).

        I just went and looked to make all things even 40 hours of content creation went into the travel site last month. so we will call this a $5000 a month account. 60 hours in total per month, means you could handle maybe 3 of these?

        180 hours a month divided by 3 is a whopping 60 accounts at $400 a month or $24,000 in total VS $15,000 for the 3 whale accounts. You then could only have 37 $400 accounts a month to make the same $15,000 and only work 3 weeks a month. Add in outsourcing, and you literally might work 2 days a week at that point.

        Jump the $400 a month accounts to $1000 a month clients and all the sudden you have 15 clients at 6 hours a month, and you can press all of the work into 2 weeks.

        So here is the catch in all of this.. your not going to go out and onboard 15 clients tomorrow... but honestly that's fine, because the reality of the SEO business is the MOST work occurs at the onset of taking on a client. You have to go in and correct site wide all that is wrong. so bringing in 1 client every 2 weeks across the next 8 months to a year is an absolutely obtainable goal and the end result is simply more money with less work and stress.

        An added note about a "race to the bottom" and "over saturated" it really isn't as bad as it is made out to be if you remain local in terms of clients. Up at "Law" level tho... yeah its a eat or be eaten world.. but down with the bike shops and cupcake shops etc etc.. your competition is the call from "Google" promising you top placement and they are then connected to an overseas call center they cant understand LOL
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549267].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author StevenTylerPjs
          Wow, thanks for the post. Lots to think about. Are Udemy courses enough to learn or does it take years of doing?

          And sorry OP, I know I'm not helping with any advice. There are a couple good posts though from those who know what they're doing it sounds like.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549407].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author savidge4
            Originally Posted by StevenTylerPjs View Post

            Wow, thanks for the post. Lots to think about. Are Udemy courses enough to learn or does it take years of doing?
            I am a FIRM believer that education relating to providing a service should be at the learners expense. Meaning you don't just willy nilly go out and get a client and try and figure out what to do and get paid for it.

            So there are 3 kinds of sites out on the net. there are informational sites. there are commerce sites, and there are lead gen sites. 2 out of the 3 you can clearly make money with and the third... you can but I use informational sites as feeders for either lead gen or commerce.

            Informational site: Build a site about the town you live in. A portal or directory if you will. but go a bit deeper than that and include things you might yourself look up like addresses to parks and youth sports fields. Bike trail maps, calendar of city events etc. Basically create a resource for your community to use. You can then with the directory example develop enough traffic that you can start hitting up businesses for paid advertising.

            Commerce site: Pick an item.. any item and build a site to sell as an amazon affiliate. Say gun holsters or HVAC filters. Get ranked make sales easy enough.

            Lead Gen Site: How to get Doctors, Lawyers, HVAC companies and such clients is what this boils down to - probably very much in line with what the OP does. The actual conversion here is not money - its simply getting in contact with the desired person or business. Entry level as I see it with this is Selling an affiliate information product. you create a squeeze page you get the prospects e-mail and send them over to an offer and if they buy you get paid. Same function different form.

            And THAT is literally what the internet is made of... nothing real complicated, each one being very different than the others. However as much as they are different, in terms of SEO in many ways they are the same. The basics are used by all 3. Local SEO in general practice is used with Lead Gen and the Info site ( I use local SEO for the commerce sites as well ) But the basics of how Google works and What Google may want play the same across all 3 types.

            Hope that Helps!

            *** Added later *** and if you actually follow through and build and develop the 3 sites and are making money.. there comes a point it simply does not make sense to offer your services to "Clients" and you simply wash rinse repeat and build more of what is making you money.
            Signature
            Success is an ACT not an idea
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549414].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author LindyUK
            Originally Posted by StevenTylerPjs View Post

            Wow, thanks for the post. Lots to think about. Are Udemy courses enough to learn or does it take years of doing?

            And sorry OP, I know I'm not helping with any advice. There are a couple good posts though from those who know what they're doing it sounds like.

            Hello Steven

            Yes it takes years to learn, at least a 100 years, then there will still be more to learn. lol.

            But really, you learn bit by bit, day by day. If you just spend some time each day learning your craft, you will be amazed by how much you will have learnt in a years time. You can buy courses, read books and so on but the best way in the end is just by doing.

            Just a little story - When I started in IM I was trying to sell ebooks on ebay, I hardly knew what I was doing and my first years results showed that, I made US$408 for my whole first year of "Business". But I was still proud of that, even though it amounted to like less than $8 a week. Then I met John (now my Dad) just in a chat room, found he was making his living from IM so asked if he would mentor me. He said no that he didn't have time but we could have a few chats. Every time we had a chat I asked him again and he would say no, no, no, but I finally wore him down and he said yes.

            I don't know what I though mentoring was about but I was in for a shock. One of the first things was he air mailed me a book and when it came he told me to read it and we would talk about it the next week. It was about 280 pages and I told him I would need a month to read it. (I wasn't good at reading then) He said I had a week, and when I complained he said if I couldn't do a simple thing like reading a book in a week then he was wasting his time trying to mentor me. With that implied threat of course I found out I could read that book in a week, I just had to apply myself.

            Then next he said he would teach me was how to design a website. He ordered a copy of FrontPage (website design program from that time) and a book called FrontPage For Dummies to be sent to me. Then while I waited for them to come he gave me a few lessons in his conference room on how to design a simple website. When they arrived I was shocked, the book was 358 pages and looked very technical. Then I installed FrontPage and was shocked again, it looked so complex. So that night I told him they had come and he said for me to design a simple website like he had showed me, and yes, I had one week to do it. So my same answer, I couldn't do it in a week. His same answer, well your wasting my time then, don't bother coming back if you havn't got a website to show me. I went back in a week to proudly show him my first website.

            So this went on more times then I could tell you. He had confidence in me that I didn't have in myself, he had to push me to succeed and to give me that confidence in myself that I could do it. After I had told him something of my past he had told me not to let the past rule my future. He told me I could do anything I wanted to do, I could be anything I wanted to be. He told me that if we come to roadblocks in life, we go around them, over them or under them, we don't let them stop us. I found all that hard to believe at first but he was right. A girl who couldn't even graduate High School is now the CEO of a $21 million a year company, and working along side her Dad which is even better.

            So it doesn't matter if it takes years Steven, just do it. We still lean something new every day and my Dad is 70 now. He was leaning a new Ad Design program today and it looked complicated to me, but I wouldn't dare tell him that, I'd have a week to learn it, or else.! lol.

            Cheers
            Lindy
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549488].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LindyUK
    Originally Posted by georgebizpro View Post

    I've done SEO full-time for 15 years now. My agency is small, it's basically myself and some freelancers that I outsource multiple tasks to (design/content), and I mainly service the legal niche.

    4 months ago, I had a local law firm split up, one partner kept the firm and the other started his own smaller firm, who told me he could afford to retain us at $2k/month. I told him it would be a bit of a ramp-up period, which he said he was prepared for but come to find out he wasn't and 3 months later he switches to a local marketing agency promising him the world. They've been doing some black-hat link building with a little success, but I'm having a hard time competing with marketing agencies and big players in the legal SEO industry lately.

    A year prior, I had a big firm ($3k/month) leave for one of the major legal players (Scorpion Designs), and with $5k/month out the door over the past year, and my website struggling to rank for the big legal SEO terms, I've fallen behind. I've had a hard time competing with the big legal SEO companies, and on top of it my website was hacked 2 months ago and I've had literally no leads coming in. I've been taking on random outsourced projects for $700/month which I told myself I would never do, but I guess I have to pay the bills somehow. It's been killing my motivation, there's nothing worse than money problems filling your day with stress and hopefully you understand the urgency given that I'm posting this.

    I finally got my site back up and am rebranding, but it's getting tough with 15 years of experience, I'm now working from home because I had to let my office space go, and I guess I'm looking for anyone who can chime in and help me get out of this rut.

    How are you adding new clients? Are they paying as much as they used to (if you do SEO)? My average monthly retainer when I started my company in 2012 was $3k-$5k and I had no problem landing clients at this level. Lately, signing up a $3k/month client would basically be like me hitting the lottery. How can I get out of this loser mindset and get back to managing a lower number of higher-end clients, or generate more leads? Any feedback is appreciated, I still enjoy SEO and I consider myself really good at it, I just need some insight from anyone who has been doing this for a while and managed to continue to evolve in an increasingly competitive SEO landscape in 2019.

    Hello George

    I'm going to be a bit tougher on you than savidge, I think he sugar coated his answer then dipped it in honey, so not to upset you. You have brought this on yourself, yet you still havn't learned any lesson from it. You say "How can I get out of this loser mindset and get back to managing a lower number of higher-end clients, or generate more leads?". You are wanting to go back to the exact same situation that has caused your loss of income and stress.

    So to start, what have you been doing the last 15 years, spending most of your time sitting out in the sun? You don't seem to have had much motivation to build your business, after 15 years you are still a one person business with a few part time freelancers. And so few clients that when you lose 2 of them it effects you to the point of causing financial difficulty and stress.

    I'm going to make some comparisons here to hammer some points home. We started our Agency 14 years ago (My Dad, Anna and myself, but Anna and I were only 24 at the time and had no experience at all with any kind of business) We started with a single service, website design, but now we are a full service Agency, have 78 full time employees and over US$21 Million yearly turnover. We grow each year, more services, more employees and more sales. We could lose 100 clients next week and it wouldn't effect us in any way, they would be replaced in a week. We give millions of pounds away each year to charities and causes and we share our success with our staff. Now I'm not saying you should have the same drive and passion as we do, but really, you should have been able to do a bit better then you have when you have been operating longer than we have.

    I see simple things that have put you in this position, just common sense things which everyone knows from old sayings: "Don;t put all your eggs in one basket", and "There is safety in numbers." You ignored both of those guidelines, not enough eggs (services) in your basket and no safety in having so few clients. As savidge said, losing just 2 clients could take one third of your income away.

    Then other things you say disturb me and flag warning signs:

    1. "my website was hacked 2 months ago and I've had literally no leads coming in". Do you know so little about aspects of your business that you can't do backups and restores via Cpanel? If one of our websites, or client websites was hacked, we would have it restored again within 20 minutes. It is beyond my comprehension that you are running an online business but do not have the knowledge to do something as simple as backups and restores.


    2. "I've been taking on random outsourced projects for $700/month which I told myself I would never do, but I guess I have to pay the bills somehow."
    This really pees me off, it really does. So you feel doing a $700 a month service is beneath you. GET REAL!!! that's likely one of the reasons you are in this mess. We have clients paying us from US$12,000 a month to ones who might start out at only $200 a month, for something like automated social media memes being posted on their Facebook pages. We welcome them like any other client and help them grow their business's, and as they grow, we grow too. You obviously havn't heard of that concept, but it's one reason we make more in a year than you ever could in a lifetime.

    But I'll give you an idea to help you, if you actually get off your bum and put it into practice. One of our Business's is an SEO company so we know it is a hard sell, most clients just don't understand the work that goes on in the background, and then it is hard for them to measure results. I agree with savidge that you could go after a larger number of smaller clients, and that would be much safer than your small number of larger clients. But I'm going to tell you another way that I feel is much easier to scale and a lot less work then SEO, but where you can still put some of your skills to work.

    So what do your lawyer clients want from your SEO services? Simple, they want more clients, and they think to get more clients they need better rankings. But how many can be on Page 1 even in local search, and if they are on Page 2 they might as well be on Page 100.

    So, change your direction and start generating and selling leads, live phone leads, live phone leads of people needing/wanting legal services now, in real time. Leads that you can track and account for, and where your client can see the results of what they are getting for their money.

    After you set up lead generating campaigns it is very hands off, it purr's away in the background while you set up more campaigns. Lawyers pay from $100 upwards for a live lead, but you are not limited to law firms, we sell leads to heaps of different business niches.

    If you are interested I will tell you more, but I won't waste my time if you are not willing to put more effort into your Business.

    Cheers
    Lindy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by LindyUK View Post

      Hello George

      I'm going to be a bit tougher on you than savidge, I think he sugar coated his answer then dipped it in honey, so not to upset you.
      This to some degree is absolutely true. And the reason is to a degree I have actually been right there. What separates me from the OP not by client base, but by services provided I WAS and to this day diversified. I don't just do SEO, or CRO or Web Design or Vinyl or Large format Print, or Mailing services, or Social media, or Printing, or commerce consultancy, and the list goes on and on...

      If one piece in my collection of business were to fail, I have other aspects to boost the deficit. So as you have stated, NO all of my eggs are far from being in one basket down to each separate skill set is actually a subsidiary to the greater whole. I don't own a "Business", I own a collection of Business'. Each being something I can Operate, Sell, or drop. I consider this SMART business.

      And again you are right, the OP failed themselves, and the, well I have to do this just to pay bills attitude rubbed me the wrong way as well... What you ( the OP ) was doing before at $5000 a client for 15 years was ONLY PAYING THE BILLS if you are in a state of financial hardship now.

      I believe the biggest hurdle for any entrepreneur is getting to the point where you are no longer working for TODAY, and you are developing stability for yourself and your company for the FUTURE. I got "Lucky" very early on in my career and had a golden ticket of sorts ( big payout ) and not until say 5 years ago did I stop dipping and start investing with my actions today to create a body of wealth that will carry me through tomorrow if needed without touching the golden ticket.

      Again I HAVE BEEN in the exact same spot, on MANY levels - to a lessor degree based on some circumstances, but I still very much understand the stress and unknowingness of the situation. Its not a fun place to be in. You simply need to regroup pull your head out of your... and get through it and change what you were doing to what you need to be doing to never allow this to happen in your life again - plain and simple.

      Best of luck Man!
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549429].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LindyUK
        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        This to some degree is absolutely true. And the reason is to a degree I have actually been right there. What separates me from the OP not by client base, but by services provided I WAS and to this day diversified. I don't just do SEO, or CRO or Web Design or Vinyl or Large format Print, or Mailing services, or Social media, or Printing, or commerce consultancy, and the list goes on and on...

        If one piece in my collection of business were to fail, I have other aspects to boost the deficit. So as you have stated, NO all of my eggs are far from being in one basket down to each separate skill set is actually a subsidiary to the greater whole. I don't own a "Business", I own a collection of Business'. Each being something I can Operate, Sell, or drop. I consider this SMART business.

        And again you are right, the OP failed themselves, and the well I have to do this just to pay bills attitude rubbed me the wrong way as well... What you ( the OP ) was doing before at $5000 a client for 15 years was ONLY PAYING THE BILLS if you are in a state of financial hardship now.

        I believe the biggest hurdle for any entrepreneur is getting to the point where you are no longer working for TODAY, and you are developing stability for yourself and your company for the FUTURE. I got "Lucky" very early on in my career and had a golden ticket of sorts ( big payout ) and not until say 5 years ago did I stop dipping and start investing with my actions today to create a body of wealth that will carry me through tomorrow if needed without touching the golden ticket.

        Again I HAVE BEEN in the exact same spot, on MANY levels - to a lessor degree based on some circumstances, but I still very much understand the stress and unknowingness of the situation. Its not a fun place to be in. You simply need to regroup pull your head out of your... and get through it and change what you were doing to what you need to be doing to never allow this to happen in your life again - plain and simple.

        Best of luck Man!

        Hello savidge

        I reference some of your answers because I think you are one of a very few in the WF now, who actually knows what they are talking about and gives great advice based on real experience. I give you 5 Gold Stars, but don't let that go to your head, I'm still much prettier than you!

        We think very much alike too, for instance where you say " I don't own a "Business", I own a collection of Business'. Each being something I can Operate, Sell, or drop. I consider this SMART business."

        We offer about 24 services at the moment, each under its own domain name and having it's own website. Each service is like a separate Business but under the umbrella of our main Agency. We have no intentions of selling our Business/s, they are held in trusts so they can be passed down through generations, but it gives us a lot of leeway in how we promote ourselves.

        You have likely read some of my story in other posts but I have come from bad situations too, not from business but from my personal life before I met my new Dad. From sexual assaults by my father and his friends from when I was 12 to 16. From my mother knowing but not supporting me in any way, actually telling me he wasn't hurting me. From failing in every main subject (other than art and music) at High School, likely due to what I was going through at home. From all my teachers, other than my art and music teachers, putting me down and telling me I would not amount to much. From getting pregnant at 16 to my boy friend and being made to leave school. Then kicked out of home because I wouldn't have an abortion. Then pressured to leave town so I wouldn't be an embarrassment in front of their church friends. From being on my own in London expecting a baby before I was even 17 and at first only having any support from my few friends and Anna's parents all back in my home town. It sounds like a horror story, and parts of it was, it was very hard, so I really do understand hard times that people go through. It's one of the reasons I tell my story, even to telling details of our success, I hope it inspires some people that you can overcome just about anything that happens to you in life.

        I got mad at George for his attitude to that $700 a month because I experienced times with a baby and virtually no money, to make even a few pounds was like finding gold. Anna's parents let her leave school and move to London with me after I had Sherri, but looking after Sherri neither of us could find work till we were 20.

        We could earn a little bit of money by doing baby sitting and ironing for some of our neighbours in our apartment block. We made gollywogs to sell in street markets, we didn't even have the money to buy material so we collected old clothes and material scraps from our neighbours. We couldn't afford to pay for a stall but other people were kind enough to let us sell them from their stalls. Anna and I lived on canned soup a lot of the time, so we could afford to pay for things we needed for Sherri. To this day I HATE soup, if Anna makes it now she makes it so thick she tells me it is stew. lol. The highlight of our week was singing and playing in a pub each Friday night. At our ages we shouldn't have even been in a pub, but the publican and his wife were kind to us. He couldn't afford to pay us but he would give us a big pub dinner and do a collection for us. While we were singing his wife would babysit Sherri, then send us home with a heap of food and goodies she had cooked for us. There was an old Lady, in her 80's then, who knitted baby clothes for Sherri. I still have every piece she gave us., sometime when Sherri has babies they will wear them too. Some people were just so kind to us, I try to pay that on now.

        I credit my new Dad for the life we live now, I found him as a mentor, we grew close and he adopted me and Sherri when I was 24. For years he still lived in Australia and we worked together via an online conference room to build our Business. He taught me about love, he taught me about passion, he taught me about Business, he taught me near everything I know. He is 70 now but we still work long hours together, often 14 to 16 hours still. Not because we have to, but because we love what we do.

        Sorry, I often talk and talk and talk. I'm a woman so I can, lol, but I hope some of my story, my passion and love of online business will rub off to others and help make them successful. And it's payback to my Dad as well for how he helped me.

        Cheers
        Lindy
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549476].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author animal44
          Originally Posted by LindyUK View Post

          Sorry, I often talk and talk and talk. I'm a woman so I can, lol,
          If I said something like that I'd get a smack and be told to stop being so sexist... Life is so unfair...

          Hi ya Lindy....

          OP, speaking as an ex SEO, do you really think a top ranking is worth while these days. So much crap above the organic results - at least for worthwhile money keywords - you're barely above the fold...

          I'd suggest you need to look at your value proposition before anything else. And/or how you're looking after your clients. If they're going elsewhere, you're doing something wrong...

          I'd also suggest people searching for SEO keywords are not your best clients. Look instead for people searching for more prospects and/or more sales and educate them. These people won't be searching Google on SEO keywords.

          Find people who already have access to your market and get them to endorse you in some way. Doing this systematically frees you from the devil known as Google.

          And diversify your services (as others have suggested). What other services/products do your customers need?
          Signature

          People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
          What I do for a living

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549506].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author LindyUK
            Originally Posted by animal44 View Post

            If I said something like that I'd get a smack and be told to stop being so sexist... Life is so unfair...

            Hi ya Lindy....

            OP, speaking as an ex SEO, do you really think a top ranking is worth while these days. So much crap above the organic results - at least for worthwhile money keywords - you're barely above the fold...

            I'd suggest you need to look at your value proposition before anything else. And/or how you're looking after your clients. If they're going elsewhere, you're doing something wrong...

            I'd also suggest people searching for SEO keywords are not your best clients. Look instead for people searching for more prospects and/or more sales and educate them. These people won't be searching Google on SEO keywords.

            Find people who already have access to your market and get them to endorse you in some way. Doing this systematically frees you from the devil known as Google.

            And diversify your services (as others have suggested). What other services/products do your customers need?

            Hello Animal

            Havn't seen you for weeks, I thought maybe your running around trying to stock up on Donkey pellets before the end of the month!

            But talk about a mixed up Donkey, you make a comment to me (and yes it's so unfair to you poor Guys - but whatever! lol), then you say Hi Lindy..., then the rest of your letter is to the OP.

            So what happened to my letter? Did I suddenly go out of mind cause someone threw you some hay or something? Or is it just old age creeping (more like rushing, but I'll be nice) on?

            But geez! Do I have to put my real photo up to keep your attention now? If I did you would see exactly why I can say what I like and do what I want, and so on and so on and so on!

            But your points are really good, pity the OP hasn't come back to read our advice for him. He must be out looking for another high value client, or 2 of them actually.

            You might get a Donkey chuckle out of this:
            https://www.warriorforum.com/website...ds-2019-a.html

            I don't think that Guy in there much appreciated my wicked ways. But whatever! lol.

            So now, write me a letter, lol,

            Byees
            Lindy
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sumit Bhagat
      @Lindyuk,
      Thanks for writing this. Was good reminder to diversify and scale.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Faisal66
    If you are from US, UK etc

    Maybe you could setup multiple GMBs and get leads from that. As the most exposure of these GMB are from calls, you could receive a decent amount of calls from some well placed GMB thereby helping you to land a client.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11549432].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics