How much do you charge for SEO service for local business?

by joe0074 72 replies
Hi there,

I'm wondering how much you guys charge for SEO service for local businesses like dentist, chiropractor, doctor, massage therapy, cosmetic surgery. These businesses seem to charge high price per transaction.

Do you charge one time fee or monthly fee? Any price structure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
#offline marketing #business #charge #local #seo #service
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Rocketguy
    I charge anywhere from $300 a month up to $3000 a month. Most of my local clients are in the $500 range.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2878543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pethanks
    It depends on what kind of SEO work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2878569].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author joe0074
      Any more ideas guys ?

      Thanks,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2879257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Barrs
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2879261].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author joe0074
      Hi Paul,

      That is the highest price that I have ever seen
      $5,000 is a one time fee not monthly fee, right?

      Thanks,

      Originally Posted by Paul Barrs View Post

      Although I've not done any for a while, I always set my starting rate at $5000, and then $100 / hour for additional work.

      Mind you, they got a whole lot for that figure - and I've never wanted to do the monthy admin stuff aftrerwards.

      Paul Barrs
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2879304].message }}
      • Hi Joe

        Just had an Accountant transfer more than $3600 into our account yesterday for 6 months of Google Places and SEO stuff.

        Plus had a local Loan Company drop $6600 into our account last week for a full year of the same.

        The end workload is about 10 hours tops on the first client and about 18 hours on client 2.

        Pretty happy with that.

        Regards

        Bronwyn and Keith
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2879533].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Riz
          And then some wander why we have gone for the offline route

          Riz

          Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

          Hi Joe

          Just had an Accountant transfer more than $3600 into our account yesterday for 6 months of Google Places and SEO stuff.

          Plus had a local Loan Company drop $6600 into our account last week for a full year of the same.

          The end workload is about 10 hours tops on the first client and about 18 hours on client 2.

          Pretty happy with that.

          Regards

          Bronwyn and Keith
          Signature
          NEWBIES - Stuck on Technical Issues?

          Ask me For a FREE copy of my upcoming course that will eliminate all your technical gremlins....:
          SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE NOW!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2880122].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author internetPro
          Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

          Hi Joe

          Just had an Accountant transfer more than $3600 into our account yesterday for 6 months of Google Places and SEO stuff.

          Plus had a local Loan Company drop $6600 into our account last week for a full year of the same.

          The end workload is about 10 hours tops on the first client and about 18 hours on client 2.

          Pretty happy with that.

          Regards

          Bronwyn and Keith
          what all are you doing for the seo??
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2887358].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Rocketguy
          You getting these clients through cold calling or referrals?



          Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

          Hi Joe

          Just had an Accountant transfer more than $3600 into our account yesterday for 6 months of Google Places and SEO stuff.

          Plus had a local Loan Company drop $6600 into our account last week for a full year of the same.

          The end workload is about 10 hours tops on the first client and about 18 hours on client 2.

          Pretty happy with that.

          Regards

          Bronwyn and Keith
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3142942].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author RaptorGabe
            Originally Posted by Rocketguy View Post

            You getting these clients through cold calling or referrals?
            Cold calling works great for me. Remember, you need to have the mindset of not SELLING but rather finding businesses who already have a basic understanding of what Local SEO can do for them. These businesses require almost no convincing, simply you calling up and asking them if they want to get more customers. It really is that simple
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3145594].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Genesis1
              Originally Posted by RaptorGabe View Post

              Cold calling works great for me. Remember, you need to have the mindset of not SELLING but rather finding businesses who already have a basic understanding of what Local SEO can do for them. These businesses require almost no convincing, simply you calling up and asking them if they want to get more customers. It really is that simple
              yes, some people has no clue what SEO means at all
              Signature
              High Quality Backpage, Kijiji, Gumtree Classified Ads Posting Services. Service that brings Value. Get Traffic & Increase SEO at the same time! Prices are starting from 0.09$ per AD. PM Me for more info
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3145620].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author rafterman
                Originally Posted by Genesis1 View Post

                yes, some people has no clue what SEO means at all
                that's for sure

                I'm targeting businesses that have verified their local listing but aren't on page 1. Obviously they have some concept of what the GP listing can do by verification of it, but need help with seo to their gp or website. Almost all businesses advertise, you just need to scale , for example, a bakery vs a lawyer. Obviously you charge the lawyer more because they stand to make more off of your work
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3147324].message }}
        • Bronke 13

          How did you go about getting in contact with the Accountant and Loan Company? I know that we use quite a few ways but have found that there is a lot of work involved in getting new clients. I wonder if you have found a better way?

          Thanks!!
          Signature

          Some times you just have to take life by the throat and shake a little more out.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3482050].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WikiWarrior
            Up 'til recently the most I charged was around $100/mo due to the customers I've targeted, one-man-bands, electrician, plasterers, landscapers etc, who can't seem to justify spending any more than this.

            I'm starting to target businesses with a small staff now though and landed my first $600/mo client on Friday just gone. That was a great day! It's so satisfying to know that money is coming in regularly instead of starting from scratch with each customer. Just a few more customers like this will really make a difference to me.

            This company installs high-end home entertainment/sound systems for $15k-$50k, with a profit of $8k+ per project. They have a staff of 4, 2 of whom have been twiddling their thumbs for the past 2-3 weeks due to only getting one new project a week, instead of 1 a week which they'd like.

            It's a crazy situation really. One of the guys had been tinkering with the layout of the website for 6 months or so (on the side of his main position) and none of the pages are even indexed! They have a great little business in terms of what they can offer - end-to-end service, decades of experience - just no-one to do a proper job marketing for them (til I came along!). If I can do a good job he's prepared to drop $6k-$7k on a new site too!

            I'm convinced there are plenty more small businesses around just like these guys, crying out for us to contact them but for some reason they don't go looking for it. Initially the owner was a bit frosty on the phone because, as I've found talking to many local business owners, they are inundated with people calling up trying to shove seo down their throats instead of trying to get to know them and actually caring about their business. This is in the UK by the way, do you find a similar situation in the US? To paraphrase his words, he said "...but there's a hundred and one guys offering your type of services (ouch!), how do I know you'll be different?".

            Anyone just getting started serving local business owners should definitely push the local angle and offer to meet up for a chat, it's such a powerful advantage. I've been able to close 100% of deals to date from a meeting. Just taking an interest in their business is what they want.

            I spent 4-5 hours doing a load of research the night before the meeting, printing reports and what-not to show this business owner, and he barely looked at one sheet (not that I was bothered, I just wanted to be prepared). He just wanted to tell me his story, hear that I knew what I was talking about, and get started. The meeting lasted about 30 minutes and I got to meet a couple of his staff, and it was 20 minutes in he said the magic words..."so how much is this going to cost?". Man, I felt like leaning back in the chair, closing my eyes and just savouring the moment!

            I see all sorts of figures on here for what people are charging and it seems to come down to two things, being able to position yourself and your services well and targeting the right customers who can afford to pay the rates you want to charge. Pretty straight-forward when you look at it like that but not quite so easy in practice. The business is definitely there for the taking though for anyone committed enough to putting themselves out there.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3483425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author swords
    Wow, these figures are just mind blowing to me.

    May I ask guys... What work is needed on a monthly basis that is worth this kind of money?

    Getting ranked #1 on Google takes a lot of work, and that deserves the initial fee, but after you're #1... building a few backlinks is all that is needed to stay, am I right?


    What do you reason to your customers that you need this kind of monthly charge? What are you doing exactly that requires so much work?

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2880164].message }}
    • Hi swords

      Having been in IM for more than 3 years full-time we have learned a thing or two.

      What they pay for is continued efforts to ensure that they are visible on page #1 of Google even though the rules keep getting changed.

      You need to be abreast of the changes and what they mean - in other words they pay for expertise.

      Plus they pay for RESULTS.

      Hope that helps.

      Regards

      Bronwyn and Keith
      Originally Posted by swords View Post

      Wow, these figures are just mind blowing to me.

      May I ask guys... What work is needed on a monthly basis that is worth this kind of money?

      Getting ranked #1 on Google takes a lot of work, and that deserves the initial fee, but after you're #1... building a few backlinks is all that is needed to stay, am I right?


      What do you reason to your customers that you need this kind of monthly charge? What are you doing exactly that requires so much work?

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2880191].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author swords
        Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

        Hi swords

        Having been in IM for more than 3 years full-time we have learned a thing or two.

        What they pay for is continued efforts to ensure that they are visible on page #1 of Google even though the rules keep getting changed.

        You need to be abreast of the changes and what they mean - in other words they pay for expertise.

        Plus they pay for RESULTS.

        Hope that helps.

        Regards

        Bronwyn and Keith
        Thanks for your quick response.

        Would you mind sharing some of these 'things' learned? I mean I know SEO (articles, backlinks, on-page... and so on)... But what does any SEO require a monthly fee for? Maybe some articles written each month, maybe some added backlinks, but that could end up only taking 3 hours total.


        Thanks in advance, gotta get to school .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2880257].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MsMotivation1
          Originally Posted by swords View Post

          Thanks for your quick response.

          Would you mind sharing some of these 'things' learned? I mean I know SEO (articles, backlinks, on-page... and so on)... But what does any SEO require a monthly fee for? Maybe some articles written each month, maybe some added backlinks, but that could end up only taking 3 hours total.


          Thanks in advance, gotta get to school .
          Ahhh... that's the beauty of it right there!

          Try not to get too caught up in being an "hourly worker."
          It doesn't matter how much time you put into it.

          What matters is the value that you're giving to the client and the fact that you are their "consultant" and will be there to make sure their campaign will be successful no matter what changes Google decides to throw our way.

          Hope this helps
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2880415].message }}
        • Hi swords

          Let's take doing a Google Places entry as an example.

          We do the full initial set-up, then we ensure that the Places listing is better than the competing listings in all facets so that it is much more difficult to knock our client off its top spot.

          What this takes is a continued interest in the client and the success of that clients listings and business.

          Then we also need to do continued SEO work for the clients website now that the local search rules have changed. These include, backlinks (from various sources), articles, press-releases etc.

          You may argue that we actually "go overboard" and we admit that would be true - BUT each time we over-deliver we get more referrals.

          Why, because our customers cannot help but talk about us.

          Regards

          Bronwyn and Keith
          Originally Posted by swords View Post

          Thanks for your quick response.

          Would you mind sharing some of these 'things' learned? I mean I know SEO (articles, backlinks, on-page... and so on)... But what does any SEO require a monthly fee for? Maybe some articles written each month, maybe some added backlinks, but that could end up only taking 3 hours total.


          Thanks in advance, gotta get to school .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2883737].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author swords
            Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

            Have you ever seen a plumber's invoice for dislodging debris from a drain pipe? It goes something like this:

            Service call: $50
            Hitting pipe with hammer: $5
            Knowing where to hit pipe with hammer: $250

            You couldn't have answered that question anymore perfectly. That is a perfect example, and with your permission I'd like to use that as a quote on any situation I see similar to mine!

            Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

            Hi swords

            Let's take doing a Google Places entry as an example.

            We do the full initial set-up, then we ensure that the Places listing is better than the competing listings in all facets so that it is much more difficult to knock our client off its top spot.

            What this takes is a continued interest in the client and the success of that clients listings and business.

            Then we also need to do continued SEO work for the clients website now that the local search rules have changed. These include, backlinks (from various sources), articles, press-releases etc.

            You may argue that we actually "go overboard" and we admit that would be true - BUT each time we over-deliver we get more referrals.

            Why, because our customers cannot help but talk about us.

            Regards

            Bronwyn and Keith
            Gosh, I've been seeing a lot lately (out of random) mentioning of 'Google Update' and related terms. You mentioned in there as well, "rules have changed".

            Is there any article/website that could provide me with some insight on these 'changes'? I am too new to be effected by them, but it's good to know what has been changed for my future reference.

            Thanks!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2884030].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
      Originally Posted by swords View Post

      What do you reason to your customers that you need this kind of monthly charge? What are you doing exactly that requires so much work?
      Have you ever seen a plumber's invoice for dislodging debris from a drain pipe? It goes something like this:

      Service call: $50
      Hitting pipe with hammer: $5
      Knowing where to hit pipe with hammer: $250

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2883455].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Iemagine
        Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

        Have you ever seen a plumber's invoice for dislodging debris from a drain pipe? It goes something like this:

        Service call: $50
        Hitting pipe with hammer: $5
        Knowing where to hit pipe with hammer: $250

        I believe you hit the nail on the head with this one-thanks makes total sense and I had a great laugh!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2891100].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ceciliacyprus
        I love this answer. My friend is paying £1k per month for seo work! I told him they were ripping him off but he is still paying, 6 months so far no thrilling results.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3170186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mnlewis
    Everyone is different with they're pricing structure. Its all about what you can offer to your client.

    With that said I think you also have to think about what type of business they are in. I can see charging an electrician or maybe a roofer $5000 to do they're SEO. Because they can make that up with a few jobs. But with a landscaping company, that's kinda hard for them to make that money up.

    So I think pricing can be done case by case.

    But thats just my 2 cents
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2886782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rafterman
    I think you should look at what the business stands to make with their listing being first, first page, 3rd, etc. Go off the average click through rate of each position, times the traffic for that month. Granted the paid ads receive around 25% of the traffic, but sometimes I just go off the raw number. Then evaluate the number of possible people to the website. Take a look at what the business offers. Is it a hotel that wants to have more wedding receptions? Well, if you drive them, 5 clients in a month, they profit $25K and they pay you 1k? That's 2,400% return on investment. Ask them what they expect their ROI is. Saying you charge a LOCAL business 5k for web design and seo is BS.

    Take a florist, profits average $40 on an order. Hypothetically pays you 1k a month. you have to drive a solid 25 customers to the store, and that's just to make return on investment, it's another 25, obviously to make 100%. They're not risking that kind of money ( and if search volume is only 300-400/month) if they're not making millions a year. And chances are if they are making millions, they're national, or chain. And I want to help LOCAL businesses. Put something back into the community.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3139935].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blogdecor
    Yaa, the range is $300 to $3000 is good & you should try that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3144307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bennette
      Getting large checks is a mindset. If you think small you will get small. Bigger paychecks just means learning how to do things that are valueable to your client and makes them money.

      Take a few methods and learn about them. Practice it with your sites and then once it works offer to try it with a couple business owners you know as a trial for free to get your confidence and references.

      What you are doing is building your own strategy and system. When the trial works for the other businesses now you have created confidence in yourself, have a track record and proven results that you can back up what you offering.

      Now set your fees and then target industries that can afford your price.

      It's not overwhelming when you break it down into a simple plan.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3145565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author srtyker
    I have worked with clients for local google places seo and I can only agree that you need to get the right clients and not every client. It is surely about the value you create for your clients, rather that the value they create for you.

    Google local is a goldmine, you just need to know how to use it.
    ______________

    I will find Google Places SEO Clients for you - save tons of time and research work
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3147835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kaytav
    I will charge 200 $ per month .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3155202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Preciseim
    It really depends on the client but we try not take on anyone for less that $1,000 per month...At the end of the day it all comes down to value..I have one client who is pulling in over $60k per month purely from natural search...he is more than happy to pay a healthy sum for SEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3163829].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rafterman
      Originally Posted by Preciseim View Post

      It really depends on the client but we try not take on anyone for less that $1,000 per month...At the end of the day it all comes down to value..I have one client who is pulling in over $60k per month purely from natural search...he is more than happy to pay a healthy sum for SEO
      Would you mind divulging the industry your client is in.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3163843].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LiquidSeo
        Originally Posted by rafterman View Post

        Would you mind divulging the industry your client is in.

        I have a client in the software niche -- we charge $8k a mos - organic SEO and PPC management, who generates $30k-95k a mos. from an online store.

        Average product is $695, and the goal is to drive sales via organic SEO and slowly ween off of the PPC.

        This is my largest client.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3172447].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
          Originally Posted by LiquidSeo View Post

          I have a client in the software niche -- we charge $8k a mos - organic SEO and PPC management, who generates $30k-95k a mos. from an online store.

          Average product is $695, and the goal is to drive sales via organic SEO and slowly ween off of the PPC.

          This is my largest client.
          I cant imagine spending $8k for one form of marketing and only getting $30k.

          I would not feel comfortable with that. On either end, buying or selling. Now if the average gross sales were closer to $80-$90k that would make sense. But really the low end numbers make me uncomfortable.

          You have to do what works for you. And if the client is willing to pay it and is happy. I guess go for it.

          I just base my cost = value projections off of the low end that all. I want to keep them for the long term. As that number rises... so does there budget if they know they are getting what they are paying for.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3175984].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MRomeo09
            Originally Posted by Amir Luis View Post

            I cant imagine spending $8k for one form of marketing and only getting $30k.

            I would not feel comfortable with that. On either end, buying or selling. Now if the average gross sales were closer to $80-$90k that would make sense. But really the low end numbers make me uncomfortable.

            You have to do what works for you. And if the client is willing to pay it and is happy. I guess go for it.

            I just base my cost = value projections off of the low end that all. I want to keep them for the long term. As that number rises... so does there budget if they know they are getting what they are paying for.
            How many offline business do you own? I own part or all of half a dozen. I'd trade $8k for $30k all day every day as many times as you'd let me do it. Hell if you setup your marketing funnel correctly you can pay $8k to get $5k in sales and still have a very profitable business. Much depends on the metrics of the biz.

            As Dan Kennedy says over and over again, the truly sustainable businesses are the ones who can pay $100 to get a customer who has an initial transaction value of $25.

            Once you have a customer there's so much else you can do with them.
            • Upsells
            • Increase frequency of purchases
            • Get referrals
            • JV/Crossell with another product
            • etc, etc, etc.....

            Just sayin'

            Marcos
            Signature
            We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up ... discovering we have the strength to stare it down. - Eleanor Roosevelt

            Your opinion of yourself becomes your reality. If you have all these doubts, then no one will believe in you and everything will go wrong. If you think the opposite, the opposite will happen. It’s that simple.-Curtis Jackson- 50 Cent
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3176441].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author LiquidSeo
              Originally Posted by MRomeo09 View Post

              How many offline business do you own? I own part or all of half a dozen. I'd trade $8k for $30k all day every day as many times as you'd let me do it. Hell if you setup your marketing funnel correctly you can pay $8k to get $5k in sales and still have a very profitable business. Much depends on the metrics of the biz.

              As Dan Kennedy says over and over again, the truly sustainable businesses are the ones who can pay $100 to get a customer who has an initial transaction value of $25.


              Once you have a customer there's so much else you can do with them.
              • Upsells
              • Increase frequency of purchases
              • Get referrals
              • JV/Crossell with another product
              • etc, etc, etc.....
              Just sayin'

              Marcos
              Yes - absolutely. This is large Fortune 2000 software company, and we run a small (3mm in rev) online store for the client. 8k is a total bargain for expert help to generate what has averaged 1mm + each year.

              This is the exception client, but I wish I had 10 more like them!

              Brian
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3177530].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author rhinocl
                Be careful about charging by the hour for any work you do at a client's office. I find that always takes me 5 times as long. I was helping a friend today and their Wi-fi was giving a limited connectivity message. So I worked on their computer-nightmare -image files in wierd, hard to find places, no Firefox,interuptions from her drop in clients, and questions from her at all the wrong times on subjects I couldn't explain without explaining three other things first on each one.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3177616].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bobster0007
          Originally Posted by LiquidSeo View Post

          I have a client in the software niche -- we charge $8k a mos - organic SEO and PPC management, who generates $30k-95k a mos. from an online store.

          Average product is $695, and the goal is to drive sales via organic SEO and slowly ween off of the PPC.

          This is my largest client.
          my new best friend...lol
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3472082].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Drewry_Media
    To be honest, I would only offer a paid Twitter follower building for businesses, because SEO work takes a long time, and I'm really working on building my own personal online venture (s), so I can't really do too much for anyone else, in terms of SEO, besides offering a paid Twitter follower building service.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3172332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
    This is such a great thread...

    It is interesting to see the different viewpoints and ideals being thrown out. I tend to agree and maintain the same (or there abouts) pricepoint as Bronwyn & Keith.

    It really all comes down to one thing though. What will the market bear. What is the average ticket of the company you are doing SEO for? What is the average lifetime of a new customer? These two questions will help you in deciding what is fair.

    I do like to keep in mind what is fair for both parties. I do not condone nor endorse raping the Marketing Budget of any company just because I can. If I am to charge a premium price... I want to be able to over deliver a premium service.

    As long as cost = value. You cannot go wrong.

    But if you are just plain arrogant and think you need to rob your customers. You should just go apply for a sales position at YellowBook. They are going to be owned by either Google or Microsoft in the near future anyway......

    Might as well get stock options.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3172424].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rafterman
      Originally Posted by Amir Luis View Post

      This is such a great thread...

      It is interesting to see the different viewpoints and ideals being thrown out. I tend to agree and maintain the same (or there abouts) pricepoint as Bronwyn & Keith.

      It really all comes down to one thing though. What will the market bear. What is the average ticket of the company you are doing SEO for? What is the average lifetime of a new customer? These two questions will help you in deciding what is fair.

      I do like to keep in mind what is fair for both parties. I do not condone nor endorse raping the Marketing Budget of any company just because I can. If I am to charge a premium price... I want to be able to over deliver a premium service.

      As long as cost = value. You cannot go wrong.

      But if you are just plain arrogant and think you need to rob your customers. You should just go apply for a sales position at YellowBook. They are going to be owned by either Google or Microsoft in the near future anyway......

      Might as well get stock options.....
      That's why I think projected ROI pricing is good.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3175395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author humbledmarket
    Banned
    I'd personally go with a monthly fee. I had an online client pay me $250/month for about 2000+ Links/Month which is pretty good because I can easily get that from Profile links as well as Contextual links, directory submissions, social bookmarks Etc.

    The great thing is they are happy I'm happy because they see results I get great ROI.

    Offline business might probably pay more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3173528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EugeneJAmos
    Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I've been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you've structured your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3174765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rafterman
    As long as they're getting a good ROI, whatever.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3176222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
    I guess my thinking was different.

    E products don't incur the same logistics and labor costs as do physical products.

    So it may be worth it.

    I have brokered deals where I only pulled $3K gross profit off of a $5K investment... but I wouldn't pay the $5K solely on marketing. I guess that is the point I was making. My personal experience is that marketing is just a small peice of the pie. Yes... It does count for a large piece. But as far as expenses go... it is miniscule.

    So... if my labor is at 30% and my taxes withholdings are at 15% then you add in product procurement... 25% and my insurance (of all types including unemployment insurance and liability) well, I am sure each state is different.

    What does that leave you for marketing?

    My point is... I don't give a rats @ss how many businesses you own or how successful you are.... I know good business when I see it. There are more to costs than just marketing.

    Agreed if you are upselling and side selling and whatever it is you do to your funnel. That's great.

    But.... what are the costs to do so? Some people have to pay to get things done.

    Not everyone is electronic.... yet.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3177619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MRomeo09
      Ahhh Amir, but what you're missing is that most of the business we bring in is Incremental, and that makes all the difference in the world.

      What that means is that let's say I do an SEM contract for a service business. In most cases the extra business is almost all profit. They already have paid for their rent, their labor, their insurance, etc. It's not until they actuallly have expand that they are paying more money.

      For example, look at a roofer who's average re-roof costs $10k. If he gets an extra roof job a month. Chances are he's not paying overtime for that work so labor is covered. He's not getting an extra truck, he's not paying for any extra insurance or getting a larger building, all he's going to pay for is materials which are generally around 10% on most roofing jobs, and possibly a sales commission for 10% or so. So anything less than $8k a month I'm charging him for marketing is going to be profitable for him.

      For instance I have a service business I own. I have rent, salaries, insurance, etc. If let's say I gross $10k a month, I usually net $5k. But, if I gross $12k, I net $6,500. If I gross $14k, I can usually net $8k. However if I net $7k, I only net $2,500.

      Let's take a look at a restaurant. In most restaurants food costs are around 20-30%. So if I bring in an extra 5 tables a night with an average check of $40. Their hard costs to deliver the "physical goods" is only around $8-12.

      Look at Brian's software company. That $1M in revenue is all incremental income. The building has been paid for, the developers have been paid for, about the only cost incurred for selling extra is the cost of the discs and printed material. Probably a number around 3-10%.

      Does that make sense?

      Plus like I've said before the most successful businesses are the ones who can afford to pay more for their clients than anyone else.

      If you own a GPS store, and I own one too. And you say you can only pay $10 to get a customer, and I can afford to pay $40 to get a customer and still be profitable. In the long run, I'm going to put you out of business. And that my friend IS good business.

      Marcos
      Signature
      We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up ... discovering we have the strength to stare it down. - Eleanor Roosevelt

      Your opinion of yourself becomes your reality. If you have all these doubts, then no one will believe in you and everything will go wrong. If you think the opposite, the opposite will happen. It’s that simple.-Curtis Jackson- 50 Cent
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3181495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
    I am not going to bother with a response. I simply am too busy at the moment. But may visit this thread later.

    From someone who actually runs a business. The numbers above sound great in theory.

    But reality always sets in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3183151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cchipster
    @paul: I call BS! 5k a month...c'monnnnn
    Signature
    No signature, I'm sure you will be ok.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3221577].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LiquidSeo
      Originally Posted by cchipster View Post

      @paul: I call BS! 5k a month...c'monnnnn

      LOL - Cchipster - I hear you, sounds like alot, but think this one through.

      I sell most mid-sized law firms with a package like this:

      $3600 up-front
      $500-1200 per mos. thereafter

      Paul is offering a 1-time charge of 5k.

      If you annualize my fee, it's obviously much, much higher.

      Or...if I work with your small business in a small town, I may charge....

      $595 up-front, 350 a mos. Annualized over 12 mos. that is $4445.00. And at this low price, I'm talking about a true small business.


      I met with a company here in Atlanta who specializes in dental office marketing. Their minimum monthly fee is 2k, and minimum of 4k to cosmetic dentists. That's 50k a year to a typical cosmetic dentist. And..these guys have LOTS of clients.

      Brian
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3221743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pethanks
    It is better to charge in monthly basis. Just make a deal with the SEO specialist.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3221925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author keithclean
    I got a question. I just started a SEO company in the Netherlands and I kind of struggling with how to price my services. I know that many of you offer a combined service like: google place + organic seo.

    But let's say I only want to charge a client for a google places listing. What are your rates for purely google places listings:
    1. for small businesses
    2. for mid-sized businesses
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3439436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Originally Posted by keithclean View Post

      I got a question. I just started a SEO company in the Netherlands and I kind of struggling with how to price my services. I know that many of you offer a combined service like: google place + organic seo.

      But let's say I only want to charge a client for a google places listing. What are your rates for purely google places listings:
      1. for small businesses
      2. for mid-sized businesses
      I used to get caught up in the packages and what I would do for each package. The problem is...most customers don't really know what I am talking about when explaining my packages to them. Their eyes kinda gloss over.

      Instead of going into the situation wondering how much you can get from them, instead find out how much you can GIVE them and then price accordingly.

      Run the whole conversation talking about THEIR business, not yours. If you are explaining all the aspects of your services, you are talking about YOUR business, not theirs.

      Start the conversation by talking about the different aspects of their business that make the most money or that they are happiest with. Once you find this out, you know what to focus on. Then talk to them more about it, where they want more work. Their average charge for that type of work. Find out what THEIR definition of success would be for an increase in business.

      Now, you know all THEIR favorite things and you know how THEY define success. It doesn't matter how YOU define success....only them.

      Once you have this info, make them a proposal. Set a good price based on the info you now have. Then, make sure you are paid enough to keep the job going and feeling good about it. Meet their expectations and then some. You will be their favorite person in the world.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3440399].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author denisjor
        Great information Daniel,

        I always work from the premise that we satisfy the customer.

        Take care of that aspect and you will have a customer for a long time. Take care of the customer and the money will come.

        Denis
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3440996].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
          Originally Posted by denisjor View Post

          Great information Daniel,

          I always work from the premise that we satisfy the customer.

          Take care of that aspect and you will have a customer for a long time. Take care of the customer and the money will come.

          Denis



          Agreed... starting with the perception of the situation makes things more doable. Going in thinking about my needs, my wants, or my bills... will really dilute the message. Also it tends to raise my prices.

          But if I am focused on the benefits or what we can do for them... and confident that we can do it, which for local yocal clients is really easy. Especially if you are targeting suburban areas or non Major Metro areas.

          Easy translates into cost effective.

          Cost effective = high value + low cost.

          Meaning you have created a win win for your client, and for you.

          Selling the sizzle... and not the steak... I heard that somewhere on these forums and I thought it was the most profound thing I had ever read. I have even said it myself a time or three.

          Really... there are so many SEO guys on here that do hella good jobs for really cheap. You can get a custom quote from Charles Huber on this forum. Then double it...

          There's your price.

          That way all you have to do is broker the deal. You get your pricing from the person you outsource to. Then you sell it and pay the outsourcer... and your done.

          Easy peasy...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3441952].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnA
        good on you! for starting with the only premise I believe will ever work for the long term... FIRST take care of the client's needs- Zig Ziglar-- "I can have everything in life I want if I can help enough other people get what they want!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3470291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author keithclean
    Thanks Daniel, you nailed it!
    I'm getting it now... rather than looking at what I can make, it's better to look at the long-term relationship there can be build with the client.

    Great info!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3441549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author keithclean
    other "big" question..

    1. How many keywords can be targeted with a Google places listing? (can these be say 5 to 10 keywords?)

    2. To make the Google Places page of your client rank for certain keywords, you have to place these keywords in the categories box right?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3441920].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
      Originally Posted by keithclean View Post

      other "big" question..

      1. How many keywords can be targeted with a Google places listing? (can these be say 5 to 10 keywords?)

      2. To make the Google Places page of your client rank for certain keywords, you have to place these keywords in the categories box right?
      You can also use the Additional Information area
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3441969].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author keithclean
        Originally Posted by Amir Luis View Post

        You can also use the Additional Information area
        Thanks Amir, do you also know how many keywords can be targetted? Is there a limit?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3446662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dezchamps
    The funny thing is - most people COULD do this stuff themselves, but they would much rather pay someone else to. If you take into account now much they pay on yellowpages advertising, and radio, and whatever, having a good search return on google is well worth $500 a month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3441947].message }}
  • Originally Posted by joe0074 View Post

    I'm wondering how much you guys charge for SEO service for local businesses like dentist, chiropractor, doctor, massage therapy, cosmetic surgery. These businesses seem to charge high price per transaction.
    I don't do much of it any longer, but I've always done it for free.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3442067].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikerudie
      Great thread! Lots of good information, and it's so interesting to see how others charge for their services.

      I have a general question that I hope someone can help me with.

      When you are offering local offline services, including SEO, Facebook Fanpages, Google Places, etc., how do you handle multiple clients in the same market?

      For example, if I target plumbers, aren't I competing against my own work if I take on more than 1 plumber client? If I had 4 clients in a city of let's say 75,000 people, how do I try to get all 4 the best placement at the same time?

      I hope this question makes sense, and I'm looking forward to the responses.

      Thanks...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3442698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
    This is what makes me different. All of the YellowPage, YB, YP, whatever... also known as Big Bird... or Big Box SEO companies... they sell to anyone. I asked their sales manager and my best friend. How do you decide which client to work harder for?

    This is my USP.

    I have an agreement that states I will only work with one industry per area. So if I work with a plumber in Phoenix, I will not accept any other plumbers in Phoenix. That way... they have a reason to keep paying my maintenance fees. Not only is it maintenance. But it is also a retainer to keep me focused on them.

    If they cancel recurring payments. I will sell to their competition. And I let them know upfront that is the deal.

    I have no conflict of interest because you are my only attorney in Tucson. And I promise to keep it that way.

    Make sense?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3442761].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaniMc
      Treat your customer the way you would want to be treated if THEY were doing YOUR marketing.

      In a small city, I would offer exclusivity. In a large city, I might divide the area up into sections. You can also divide the marketplaces. IE...only ONE plumber for facebook...but another for yelp.

      Business is personal. Never give them a reason to trust your integrity. Only you can make this call for your area, but always be upfront with your clients.
      Signature
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3442802].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Solem
      Originally Posted by Amir Luis View Post

      I have an agreement that states I will only work with one industry per area. So if I work with a plumber in Phoenix, I will not accept any other plumbers in Phoenix. That way... they have a reason to keep paying my maintenance fees. Not only is it maintenance. But it is also a retainer to keep me focused on them.

      If they cancel recurring payments. I will sell to their competition. And I let them know upfront that is the deal.
      And that right there is the difference between the "commodity" that YP and most others offer and the "professional" and sought after service that Louie offers.

      Well said Louie!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3442912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikerudie
      Originally Posted by Amir Luis View Post

      Make sense?
      Amir, it sure does! Thanks for sharing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3469486].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
        Originally Posted by mikerudie View Post

        Amir, it sure does! Thanks for sharing.
        No problem.... that's what we do.... here at the WF.....


        As far as keywords... I don't know why I am drawing blank at the moment... maybe because it is almost 2 am.... and I have been going since this morning...

        The wonderful world of a full time IM dude....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3469732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnA
    I was with a mlm company called AdzZoo that did SEO for a while and to get full country coverage it was arounf $10K / year.. few smaller businesses went for that as they had no national presence ! Mostly a local business would opt for a 5 mile radius ( as i recall, the smallest package) and that was only like $150/mo, to expand the radius to (I don't remeber exactly) say 25 mile radius got pretty big --pretty fast-- --somewhere around $5k / yr

    take care,
    ja
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3470280].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michelle2003
    Hi,

    According to me its charge depends on requirement. these servcies provider provide service one time fee and monthly fee also depends where did you select these service and what's service of there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3476034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amylimcd
    My main business is not offline IM services but traditional online business building (selling my own products and services/affiliate marketing through my own sites), but I sort of fell into doing some offline internet marketing work because of my expertise and from just talking to local businesses. And, in the past year, it has become a really nice profit stream for me.

    Because I value my time freedom so much, I only do fixed rate defined projects (which have a beginning and an end) - and almost always, I get a high margin with what I charge.

    The key is to present the service from the point of view of the business owner. If you can show significant value/potential value of a service to a business owner, then the the ability to get a nice fee (high profit margin) and make that customer really happy becomes possible- and these are the ideal engagements.

    Over time, you establish a higher fixed price for your particular service because you get testimonials and client references to back your premier service.

    Amy
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3481504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Voasi
    My sales manager is only taking clients at min. $2k/mo. This last week, we signed 3 new contracts at $6k/mo total.

    We don't just work with local clients though, it's everyone, but strictly focused on SEO. Then we continue to charge more as we add more services to their packages.

    If we take on a local-based client, we still charge a min. of $800-$1k/mo.
    Signature
    Want $6,000/mo. SEO Clients? Watch My Free Video!
    We do WSO Designs TOO!!! Best on WF! - Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3485227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinDupre
    Better to come up with a package and options.. but yeah you should at least be charging $3,000 or more a month.
    Signature
    I offer CPA coaching and investment opportunities for those SERIOUSLY interested in making money directly or indirectly with affiliate marketing. PM me for details.


    Read More about CPA/Affiliate Marketing on my Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3485941].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics