Local Businesses Don't Have to Be in Top 7 of Google Places - Not with Google Boost

28 replies
Hey Warriors,

Have you guys seen this article on the new beta of Google Boost? (If its already on the WF I apologize. I couldn't find any threads on it.)

Google LatLong: Advertise your local business with Google Boost

Currently it's in beta - San Francisco, Houston and Chicago - so it gives us time to see how this is going to affect the way we do business in the future. If at all. Personally, I think it will provide more opportunities for us because - like all Google ads - they will need to be relevant and optimized. Things that small businesses don't understand.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this.

See ya!
Drew
#boost #businesses #google #google boost #local #offline #places #top
  • Profile picture of the author swords
    AdWords with Google Maps... kind of interesting :O. Adds a new spectrum of visibility to the user.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2890555].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nofearman
      No one will ever be able to satisfy your last question. How is anyone suppose to know "Who YOU like to serve"?

      Originally Posted by JsamsonNJ View Post

      I am a business owner when you come to me with any of these solutions I want to know one thing

      How many customers will I receive, how much does it cost me and are they the customers I like to serve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2892870].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Collette
        Originally Posted by nofearman View Post

        No one will ever be able to satisfy your last question. How is anyone suppose to know "Who YOU like to serve"?

        Originally Posted by JsamsonNJ
        I am a business owner when you come to me with any of these solutions I want to know one thing

        How many customers will I receive, how much does it cost me and are they the customers I like to serve
        If you're selling 'solutions' to businesses, you should be asking this question before you even THINK of offering your 'solution'.

        The wrong type of customer isn't going to do the business any good. So why should they buy what you're offering if it isn't going to benefit their business?

        Frankly, any service provider or consultant that DOESN'T ask about the type of customers the business serves and wants, is a useless poseur.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2902354].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author teaball
      Originally Posted by JsamsonNJ View Post

      I am a business owner when you come to me with any of these solutions I want to know one thing

      How many customers will I receive, how much does it cost me and are they the customers I like to serve

      Give me a 10% off coupon, and I'll tell you how many.

      works all the time.

      TB
      Signature
      The short cut to success is always the long cut for lasting success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2894008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deus ex
    There will likely be deep integration of google places ads and google adwords from what I can see - probably ad extensions will be used/added
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2891143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinDupre
    Very interesting post! I think it would be more fair and opportunities for new biz to step in online.
    Signature
    I offer CPA coaching and investment opportunities for those SERIOUSLY interested in making money directly or indirectly with affiliate marketing. PM me for details.


    Read More about CPA/Affiliate Marketing on my Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2891436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diane S
    We hope Boost provides busy local business owners with a quick and easy way to share information about themselves with the people who look for them online. Placement in the “Sponsored Links” section of the page will, as always, depend on factors such as your ad’s relevance and quality. Boost does not affect the ranking of the free, organic business listings in any way.
    Searchers are still going to keep ignoring the sponsored ads, don't you think?
    Signature
    KimW still needs our help DONATE DIRECTLY
    My First Kindle Book: Ten Days in the Land of Smile
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2893175].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PDLaughlin
      Originally Posted by Diane S View Post

      Searchers are still going to keep ignoring the sponsored ads, don't you think?
      Not really. Why does everyone think searchers ignore the sponsored ads? Why is AdWords so profitable? Because - at some level -it works. Otherwise companies wouldn't keep paying for it. Especially something that can be tracked so easily as AdWords.

      Don't get me wrong. I understand completely that the great majority of people do click on non-sponsored ads. I get that. But to think that AdWords or the new Boost is not relevant and not a part of the Marketing Mix is a mistake IMO and should not be ignored.
      Signature
      [NEW] Client Getting P.L.A.N. Get all the offline clients you can handle without cold calling or spending a dime in marketing! Watch my free 3-video training series.
      Become a LEAD GEN CONSULTANT by Selling and Renting Lead Generation Websites to Local Businesses!... and check out our 50+ pre-made Lead-Gen Sites!
      All My Other Products in One Place!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2895552].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MisterMunch
      Originally Posted by Diane S View Post

      Searchers are still going to keep ignoring the sponsored ads, don't you think?
      Most searchers has no clue if the listing is sponsored or not. They will click on the first thing that looks interresting enough to click on.

      Also, if you are interrested in buying something it should be just as natural to click on ads from a service provider for that product as well ranked news articles or affiliate review sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2896660].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pokerdawg
      Originally Posted by Diane S View Post

      Searchers are still going to keep ignoring the sponsored ads, don't you think?
      Well, if you look at their numbers, they have about $7 Billion reasons to disagree. They're doing almost $100 million per day in Sponsored ads. They're not ignored

      From what I've seen over the last 10 years, searchers tend to go natural when hunting for information and PPC when buying. When buying they have no interest in Wikipedia and info sites. When info hunting, they have no interest in paid ads because they don't want to see eCommerce - they want to see reviews, etc.

      So with local businesses what will they do? Probably depends on what the user is doing and what informtaion they are looking for...
      Signature

      Ask me any questions, and I'll do what I can to help with search engine optimization, pay per click bid management and lead generation. Your Long Island advertising agency in New York.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2898860].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author adriver38
        Wouldnt the question of what people are clicking on (sponsored vs organic) be solved by looking at heat maps or some google analytics?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2899101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bronwyn and Keith
    Hey Drew

    The majority of searchers gravitate towards organic info rather than "know" advertisements.

    We tend to think that that Status Quo will remain.

    Regards

    Bronwyn and Keith
    Originally Posted by PDLaughlin View Post

    Hey Warriors,

    Have you guys seen this article on the new beta of Google Boost? (If its already on the WF I apologize. I couldn't find any threads on it.)

    Google LatLong: Advertise your local business with Google Boost

    Currently it's in beta - San Francisco, Houston and Chicago - so it gives us time to see how this is going to affect the way we do business in the future. If at all. Personally, I think it will provide more opportunities for us because - like all Google ads - they will need to be relevant and optimized. Things that small businesses don't understand.

    I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this.

    See ya!
    Drew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2894134].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PDLaughlin
      Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

      Hey Drew

      The majority of searchers gravitate towards organic info rather than "know" advertisements.

      We tend to think that that Status Quo will remain.

      Regards

      Bronwyn and Keith
      Absolutely, we all want our customers to be #1 on Google's organic searches. I don't think anyone would ever question that.

      However, searchers want their problems solved. I really don't think they care if the link they click on is a sponsored ad or one that is free. For example, if someone is searching for a home builder in Dallas and they see a link that they feel can solve their problem, it would be tough to convince me that they won't click it if its a sponsored ad. AdWords is a multi-million dollar business for a reason. For companies that use it right - it works.
      Signature
      [NEW] Client Getting P.L.A.N. Get all the offline clients you can handle without cold calling or spending a dime in marketing! Watch my free 3-video training series.
      Become a LEAD GEN CONSULTANT by Selling and Renting Lead Generation Websites to Local Businesses!... and check out our 50+ pre-made Lead-Gen Sites!
      All My Other Products in One Place!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2895529].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bronwyn and Keith
        Hi Drew

        Agree that searchers want their problems solved.

        The majority of searches though simply "don't trust" the paid searches/links as they know they are placed by people advertising.

        Most people prefer to "assume" that Google weeds out the good from the bad by going with organic searches.

        We know that makes them naive but humans are basically "trusting souls".

        And the majority of searches are via organic listings.

        Regards

        Bronwyn and Keith
        Originally Posted by PDLaughlin View Post

        Absolutely, we all want our customers to be #1 on Google's organic searches. I don't think anyone would ever question that.

        However, searchers want their problems solved. I really don't think they care if the link they click on is a sponsored ad or one that is free. For example, if someone is searching for a home builder in Dallas and they see a link that they feel can solve their problem, it would be tough to convince me that they won't click it if its a sponsored ad. AdWords is a multi-million dollar business for a reason. For companies that use it right - it works.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2897233].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PDLaughlin
          Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

          Hi Drew

          Agree that searchers want their problems solved.

          The majority of searches though simply "don't trust" the paid searches/links as they know they are placed by people advertising.

          Most people prefer to "assume" that Google weeds out the good from the bad by going with organic searches.

          We know that makes them naive but humans are basically "trusting souls".

          And the majority of searches are via organic listings.

          Regards

          Bronwyn and Keith
          You kind of contradict yourself there... On one hand you say they "don't trust" people who pay for advertising and on the other you say they are "trusting souls". I'm confused.

          And I think you're confusing you, me and other marketers who know the game. And sure we may not click on sponsored ads but that doesn't mean Joe "Normal Guy" Consumer doesn't. Again, I'm not saying its a 50/50 deal here but I am saying a lot of people do click the ads. If they didn't AdWords would go bye-bye.

          Remember, we're talking about local searchers. Again, I'm not convinced that someone looking for "Dallas Auto Painting" doesn't click on an ad link because its an ad link. Non Internet Marketing type people - the normal folk - click on the FIRST link they feel is going to help them.
          Signature
          [NEW] Client Getting P.L.A.N. Get all the offline clients you can handle without cold calling or spending a dime in marketing! Watch my free 3-video training series.
          Become a LEAD GEN CONSULTANT by Selling and Renting Lead Generation Websites to Local Businesses!... and check out our 50+ pre-made Lead-Gen Sites!
          All My Other Products in One Place!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2898819].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bronwyn and Keith
            Hey Drew

            Nah not confused at all.

            Organics kill PPC for searches. Ask anybody.

            Regards

            Bronwyn and Keith
            Originally Posted by PDLaughlin View Post

            You kind of contradict yourself there... On one hand you say they "don't trust" people who pay for advertising and on the other you say they are "trusting souls". I'm confused.

            And I think you're confusing you, me and other marketers who know the game. And sure we may not click on sponsored ads but that doesn't mean Joe "Normal Guy" Consumer doesn't. Again, I'm not saying its a 50/50 deal here but I am saying a lot of people do click the ads. If they didn't AdWords would go bye-bye.

            Remember, we're talking about local searchers. Again, I'm not convinced that someone looking for "Dallas Auto Painting" doesn't click on an ad link because its an ad link. Non Internet Marketing type people - the normal folk - click on the FIRST link they feel is going to help them.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2901430].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author PDLaughlin
              Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

              Organics kill PPC for searches. Ask anybody.
              Of course it does. No one is disputing that. You're beating a dead horse.

              But for the final time - millions and millions of people click on Ads. It happens. Period. End of story. Its a viable marketing strategy that - under the right circumstances - many marketing consultants can use it to HELP their clients bring more customers through their doors. There are many ways to skin a cat and PPC is one of them whether you want to admit it or not.
              Signature
              [NEW] Client Getting P.L.A.N. Get all the offline clients you can handle without cold calling or spending a dime in marketing! Watch my free 3-video training series.
              Become a LEAD GEN CONSULTANT by Selling and Renting Lead Generation Websites to Local Businesses!... and check out our 50+ pre-made Lead-Gen Sites!
              All My Other Products in One Place!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2902042].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Bronwyn and Keith
                Hey Drew

                Thanks for your thoughts.

                All the best

                Bronwyn and Keith
                Originally Posted by PDLaughlin View Post

                Of course it does. No one is disputing that. You're beating a dead horse.

                But for the final time - millions and millions of people click on Ads. It happens. Period. End of story. Its a viable marketing strategy that - under the right circumstances - many marketing consultants can use it to HELP their clients bring more customers through their doors. There are many ways to skin a cat and PPC is one of them whether you want to admit it or not.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2902126].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CrhisD
            Originally Posted by PDLaughlin View Post

            And sure we may not click on sponsored ads but that doesn't mean Joe "Normal Guy" Consumer doesn't.
            True.. people are projecting again. I just clicked on a sponsored link on Google yesterday. Why would anyone go out of their way to specifically not click on a sponsored link?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2901451].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
          Originally Posted by bronke13 View Post

          Hi Drew
          The majority of searches though simply "don't trust" the paid searches/links as they know they are placed by people advertising.
          I agree with that, otherwise the numbers wouldn't be so skewed in organic's favor. I mean, the ads are relevant and stand out well enough so what else could it be.

          And I would fit into that category. I rarely click on adwords. AAMOF, just the other day I saw an adwords ad that said: Chair mats 30% off. Well I need a chair mat so I clicked on it and the first thing I find out is there prices are way higher than any I'd seen. The old double the retail price, then give 'em 30% off. That's marketers for ya
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2901593].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bronwyn and Keith
            Hey Paul

            Thanks for adding your personal perspective.

            Best wishes

            Bronwyn and Keith
            Originally Posted by PaulintheSticks View Post

            I agree with that, otherwise the numbers wouldn't be so skewed in organic's favor. I mean, the ads are relevant and stand out well enough so what else could it be.

            And I would fit into that category. I rarely click on adwords. AAMOF, just the other day I saw an adwords ad that said: Chair mats 30% off. Well I need a chair mat so I clicked on it and the first thing I find out is there prices are way higher than any I'd seen. The old double the retail price, then give 'em 30% off. That's marketers for ya
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2902131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike_
    Anyone here try any foursquare marketing? I'm thinking of using a platform called Geotoko to do some foursquare and gowalla marketing to get check-ins (and tweets) to my business... wanted to know if anyone here has any experience/feedback on this kind of marketing. I'm kinda new to all this.

    Also - anyone here try Groupon's new self-serve site?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2897166].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PDLaughlin
      Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post

      Anyone here try any foursquare marketing? I'm thinking of using a platform called Geotoko to do some foursquare and gowalla marketing to get check-ins (and tweets) to my business... wanted to know if anyone here has any experience/feedback on this kind of marketing. I'm kinda new to all this.

      Also - anyone here try Groupon's new self-serve site?
      Hey Mike,

      You may want to start these as new thread topics. You may get a lot more feedback and input. People may not see it here because we're talking about Google Boost.

      But to answer your questions - no - to both. I'm dabbling a little in foursquare but nothing serious. Too many projects going on. And I haven't done much with Groupon just because I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. I'd love to hear about others experience with both. I'm sure there's info on the WF but I haven't taken the time to check it out.

      See ya!
      Drew
      Signature
      [NEW] Client Getting P.L.A.N. Get all the offline clients you can handle without cold calling or spending a dime in marketing! Watch my free 3-video training series.
      Become a LEAD GEN CONSULTANT by Selling and Renting Lead Generation Websites to Local Businesses!... and check out our 50+ pre-made Lead-Gen Sites!
      All My Other Products in One Place!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2898831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carwra
    This is interesting. There is no need to regularly manage the account and this is very helpful to many local businesses that don't know much in internet marketing.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2901823].message }}

Trending Topics