Here is What Yellowbook told me.

52 replies
Because I own a couple businesses locally. I had a meeting with YellowBook phonebook today to discuss new ads for the new year. She was telling me all kinds of stats.

She said.

people still use the phonebook 42% of the time
people go to yellowpages.com,etc 6% of the time
people than use Google,Yahoo,Bing 52% of the time.


I played dumb to all these stats. As we all knew, YP's are dying!


Thought I would share what the local phonebook said today.

Tommy
#told #yellowbook
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Coon
    Thanks, it's always good to know these kind of things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Headfirst
    There was a BIA/Kelsey Group consumer study done in Q4 2010 that found 97% of consumers use online search exclusively when trying to locate local service businesses.

    Those numbers the yellow book rep gave you are obviously BS, but it is worse than most suspect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digitalrev2k
    dying , I guess yellow pages are already dead . Gplaces going to kill local directories as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226127].message }}
  • I think that the phonebook might be correct in the fact that they do have a good 'restaurant section'. Maybe that is the only niche area that helps push up that percentage to in the 40's.
    Signature

    Solving Multimedia Expectations. AppleCreekMedia

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Nice. Great share! Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226436].message }}
  • Can anyone send me to a link that has a study completed saying how yellowpage ads are out? I am looking for 'study' with reports and stats. I know we refer back to stats we have read, but does anyone have a link? I will copy that page and be showing all my customers asap!

    thanks
    Signature

    Solving Multimedia Expectations. AppleCreekMedia

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226468].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Headfirst
      Originally Posted by www_retireonme_com View Post

      Can anyone send me to a link that has a study completed saying how yellowpage ads are out? I am looking for 'study' with reports and stats. I know we refer back to stats we have read, but does anyone have a link? I will copy that page and be showing all my customers asap!

      thanks
      The study is only available to clients of BIA/Kelsey. Here are some call outs from their summary:

      Nearly all consumers (97 percent) now use online media when researching products or services in their local area, according to BIA/Kelsey's (The Local Media and Advertising Experts | BIA/Kelsey and The Local Media and Advertising Experts | BIA/Kelsey) User View Wave VII, an ongoing consumer tracking study conducted with research partner ConStat. Among consumers surveyed, 90 percent use search engines, 48 percent use Internet Yellow Pages, 24 percent use vertical sites, and 42 percent use comparison shopping sites.
      and

      According to the study, on average, consumers are using 7.9 different media sources when shopping for products or services in their local area, up from 6.5 sources in 2009 and 5.8 in 2008, revealing a noteworthy increase in audience fragmentation. Additional findings include:
      • 58 percent of respondents report using an online coupon when shopping for products or services in their local area in the past year.
      • 19 percent of respondents report making an appointment online in the past six months for a service other than a restaurant reservation (e.g., business appointment, health-care appointment, auto service or personal service such as a beauty shop).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      I would not be one to tell a business owner that their yellow page advertising is out or dying. In some demographics, particularly the 35+ crowd, it is still a viable media, and just as in other offline marketing media there are appealing marketing criteria that cannot be matched totally online with exclusivity. For example, there are still many highly visible brand name companies in the yellow pages, and you're just going to make yourself look like an idiot by showing prospects the BIA/Kelsey study as a lead in.

      Instead, sell them YOUR promotional services without denigrating other methods. Smart small business owners are thinking: “How many ways can I buy a new customer relationship?” They dollar-cost-average customer aquisition costs, and structure their businesses to make the economics work. Loser thinking is: “What is the cheapest way I can buy a customer?”

      Let your client make the decision what advertising media he should drop. If you go in lambasting his yellow page advertising which may have been working in his market, you are going to be the one that is dropped.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226696].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Headfirst
        Originally Posted by myob View Post

        For example, there are still many highly visible brand name companies in the yellow pages, and you're just going to make yourself look like an idiot by showing prospects the BIA/Kelsey study as a lead in.
        Just because they're in the yellow pages doesn't mean they're getting anything from it. Unless they're tracking calls they have no clue if it's working or not.

        I've been referencing the BIA/Kelsey numbers on my direct mail for a few months. My current control uses that stat.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226892].message }}
      • Originally Posted by myob View Post

        I would not be one to tell a business owner that their yellow page advertising is out or dying. In some demographics, particularly the 35+ crowd, it is still a viable media, and just as in other offline marketing media there are appealing marketing criteria that cannot be matched totally online with exclusivity. For example, there are still many highly visible brand name companies in the yellow pages, and you're just going to make yourself look like an idiot by showing prospects the BIA/Kelsey study as a lead in.
        My mother, who recently retired from her career in education, now lives in a retirement community. She doesn't use the internet, neither do a very large portion of the people who live there. Mom has a computer, but it is basically a word processor because it doesn't connect to anything.
        Signature
        Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
        FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3429407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrmatt
    My dad asked me to go with him to meet the YP rep. He owns a mini storage. She was giving us ridiculous usage numbers. I can't remember that stats but all I was thinking was this was total BS. Especially the numbers for the 22-28 year olds. It was something like this age group uses the YP on average 5 times a week. Yeah right!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TelexTape
    I still use the yellow pages..... to press flowers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
    I can't remember who there ratings come from either....

    They say that it is an independant ratings company. I should them Nielsens Ratings and they said... we don't go by that....

    Originally Posted by Headfirst View Post

    Just because they're in the yellow pages doesn't mean they're getting anything from it. Unless they're tracking calls they have no clue if it's working or not.

    I've been referencing the BIA/Kelsey numbers on my direct mail for a few months. My current control uses that stat.
    I just did a website for a YellowBook rep and they installed thier own tracking phone numbers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 7dbear
    Not to play devils advocate here but....you can get unreal deals on the yellowpages now. Most of the people over a certain age (70 years or so) don't use the internet. At least not in central illinois where I am.

    I've made a ton using my copywriting skills then using the yellowbooks situation for a great price. Since most people think they are dying out they won't put any money into it. I got color, pictures then coupons. Put a great offer in and a referral offer. I was basically king of the yellowpages. I have a friend who did the same in a much larger town and he estimates his business makes an additional $50k a year from the yellowbook since no one else is looking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3226953].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tam Chancellor
      Originally Posted by 7dbear View Post

      Not to play devils advocate here but....you can get unreal deals on the yellowpages now. Most of the people over a certain age (70 years or so) don't use the internet. At least not in central illinois where I am.
      I gotta agree with this. My mother is probably more internet savvy than the average senior, but when she's looking for a business, she uses the local paper or the yellow pages. I have talked to her about using Google, but she swears by the yellow book. She also has a smartphone and it doesn't even occur to her to use her it to search for a business. I think it has something to with the small font. Something to keep in my as the population ages (at least in the US).

      And it's not just seniors...a lot of people don't have computers and they prefer it that way.
      Signature

      "Talking ain't doing." --Zoe Washburne

      "What you do speaks so loud I cannot hear what you say." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3227160].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Doran Peck
      Originally Posted by 7dbear View Post

      Not to play devils advocate here but....you can get unreal deals on the yellowpages now. Most of the people over a certain age (70 years or so) don't use the internet. At least not in central illinois where I am.

      I've made a ton using my copywriting skills then using the yellowbooks situation for a great price. Since most people think they are dying out they won't put any money into it. I got color, pictures then coupons. Put a great offer in and a referral offer. I was basically king of the yellowpages. I have a friend who did the same in a much larger town and he estimates his business makes an additional $50k a year from the yellowbook since no one else is looking.
      It is good to see people having positive success with their marketing...no one can ever complain about that

      I will point out...that those folks who found him in the YP.. they all have mailboxes too...only ...they all go to their mailbox every day... like clockwork.

      Thats every household, every business...every day. 100% exposure available any day of the year at unlimited intervals all under your measured control.

      I confidently submit that he would have made an additional 500K a year had he put most of that money in direct mail. Yes, ten times his revenue easy.

      In other words his Yellowpages ads cost him $450,000.

      The kind of money people are throwing at the YP can buy massive amounts of direct mail. Tons more active exposure. ...and by active I mean....it goes and puts itself right in front of their eyeballs anytime you tell it too, and will tell them anything you need it too. It gives you the power of consistent pursuasion, education and recognition. The power to create a customer where one wouldnt have developed on their own, in that same span of time.

      I don't need to explain to another marketer how that is a decidedly monumental advantage

      For me the YP continues to be a goldmine of leads...and I'll milk it till it dies

      When I'm finally in good with a client, when they see results, and they trust what I'm doing for them, their YP expenditure drops in a big way. That money goes into a mix of other more aggressive avenues.

      I think that trend will continue as more marketers move in to help businesses harness the power of other mediums.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3227439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jwrbusiness
    Just keep my small ad in the yellow book for the fact that I was lead to believe some potential clients verify a business identity that way.. Don't ask me. YB is ok; of course they shoot you crap to get your business but I have found they send quality leads in my industry.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3227564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akazo
    I think that one of the things that keep the YB going for now is startup small businesses that do not know any better. When most small business start, they place their ad in the YB or YP because that is what they think they are "supposed" do to get customers.

    A couple of posters mentioned having ads, and I am sure that there must be some that get a quantifiable positive return on their investment. But I have never met a single person who said they did.

    I think that YB and YP are dying but far from dead because people don't know any better. And if they don't place an ad and their business is struggling, what is the first thing they think they should do to get more business? Advertise in the YP or YB...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3227745].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
      Originally Posted by akazo View Post

      I think that one of the things that keep the YB going for now is startup small businesses that do not know any better. When most small business start, they place their ad in the YB or YP because that is what they think they are "supposed" do to get customers.

      A couple of posters mentioned having ads, and I am sure that there must be some that get a quantifiable positive return on their investment. But I have never met a single person who said they did.

      I think that YB and YP are dying but far from dead because people don't know any better. And if they don't place an ad and their business is struggling, what is the first thing they think they should do to get more business? Advertise in the YP or YB...

      They are far from dead and they are not dying....

      The print aspect has seen a little bump.... but the YellowBook360 campaigns took it's place...

      So when a new business calls that doesn't know any better. The yellow page guys sell, well.... Give them a free website.... a Google Maps Listing tutorial... and sell the SEO and PPC management offering a free ad in the Print Yellow Book based on the amount of money they spend on SEO.

      They also sell television advertising and direct mail.

      They have become a full service marketing agency trading on their name.

      Kudos to them for doing it....

      My response to clients......

      Do you want to be a name... or do you want to be a number?

      Not to long ago, me and my REALLY good friend, who is a Sales Manager for YellowBook were at this get together.... It came out that I do internet marketing, she started asking me questions and I looked at him... "I got this one"

      She asked if that's what he did too... He tried to jump in... so I used the line above... Name? or Number?

      He laughed and walked away...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3228083].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hoffy
    Having spoken to some of my clients about their attitude towards the yellow pages almost all of them told me that they are using the YP to establish credibility. Yes, when you think about it they have a point and I am now thinking of resurrecting my offline aspect with YP.

    Think about it, forgetting the stats for a moment, should you be looking for product x and you go to the pages and see two ads, one a single page and the other three lines of text with only a phone number. Who would you contact first, Yes the answer is the one with the bigger add was the answer each and every time.

    Keeping this in mind there is a use for the YP still in your marketing plan. See even if you are only getting 100 coming to you from the yellow pages they are going to be very targeted as they have gone through more effort compered to other surfers.

    Something to think about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3317936].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Doran Peck
      Originally Posted by Hoffy View Post

      Having spoken to some of my clients about their attitude towards the yellow pages almost all of them told me that they are using the YP to establish credibility. Yes, when you think about it they have a point and I am now thinking of resurrecting my offline aspect with YP.

      Think about it, forgetting the stats for a moment, should you be looking for product x and you go to the pages and see two ads, one a single page and the other three lines of text with only a phone number. Who would you contact first, Yes the answer is the one with the bigger add was the answer each and every time.

      Keeping this in mind there is a use for the YP still in your marketing plan. See even if you are only getting 100 coming to you from the yellow pages they are going to be very targeted as they have gone through more effort compered to other surfers.

      Something to think about.
      The question is though....at what point does it become counterproductive cost wise to make your ad bigger and bigger just to establish credibility? These full or double page ads are $1000+ $1400 a month....and nearly always those same guys have 3 or 4 more smaller graphic ads sitting in other categories, taking their cost well above $2000 monthly. There are a number of mediums where that money will produce better results. I know the IM guys could mop the floor with the YP on that kind of monthly budget. So could the TV guys, and maybe even the newspaper guys.

      I'm a direct mail guy..say my client is spending $650 each month sending out 2500 postcards. (30K per year) He uses them for educational purposes to establish authority and trust and to keep his name on peoples minds...and of course jaw dropping offers to motivate the fence riders. At 1/2% to 1.5% response he'll be pulling 150 to 450 customers by years end.

      Now...if your marketing budget is tight...what sense does it make to spend another $650 to $1000 a month "just in case" so we can catch those other 12 people a year.

      Here is the important part..."Exponential Revenue Over Time" if a Yellow Pages ad is bringing in 12-25 new customers a year....and each of those customers referrs 1 or 2 more during the year, turning to 75 new customers.

      If the direct mail brings in 150-450...that turns into 1300+ ...in a town of 24,000 households...which method is on pace to capture the majority market share quicker? yeah, not the yellow pages.

      An argument could be made then..that the $1000 ad in the yellow pages is a whole lot costlier than the amount on the YP invoice.

      If I'm a local brick and mortar business why on earth do I want people looking for me in the YP? Every time someone goes looking for me they get introduced to all my competitors...if they didn't know what their options were before, they do now. The YP is the last place I want my prospects going to look for me. If people have to find you in the YP it means you didn't do a good job of branding.

      If I've done a good job getting my brand all around town using multiple marketing venues...Direct mail, aggressive referral, web, mobile, email, newsletters, testimonial displays, TV & Radio...Then peolpe will already know who they are gonna call....they won't even need to open the yellow book.

      ...and all of that can be done over the course of a year for the same cost of having one big fat ad in the YP.

      IM'ers and all marketers alike...once you've established a good working relationship with your client...and you want to create more budget for your line of expertise....you'll find it in their YP expenses. Reduce it and redirect it into your vehicle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3319261].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GCooper
        Thanks for an interesting read.

        -G
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3319457].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Taktical
          Can anyone provide a direct link to the BIA Kelsey report?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3319525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cbest
    I agree with using both and not to denigrate using the Yellowpages for your clients, the more avenues you have to reach your market the better. Not everyone has internet access and there are times when even if you normally have access.... ISP's have been known to go down for periods of time.
    Signature

    Offline/Online Coupon App free coupon for your clients coming soon.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3318571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anna Howard
    Can any one let me know..... Are Yellow pages and yellow books some thing similar....... ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3320670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbest
      Originally Posted by Anna Howard View Post

      Can any one let me know..... Are Yellow pages and yellow books some thing similar....... ?
      Anna, yes they are there are numerous companies that provide Yellow Page books ... Yellow Pages, Dex, Yellowbook. There are multiple ones in each city especially in larger metro locations... which is why you often are 'given' so many copies throughout the year.



      I personally like using the Yellowpages especially when I see dentists or other professions with multiple huge ads with targeted keywords in their YP ads that don't show up for online rankings or are on page 2 etc. lol
      Signature

      Offline/Online Coupon App free coupon for your clients coming soon.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3331059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IsGabeW
    on some level, they might have been right. i am sure the stats were juiced in their favor, but remember, there are still plenty of Americans NOT on the internet...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3323299].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
      Originally Posted by maxmyer View Post

      on some level, they might have been right. i am sure the stats were juiced in their favor, but remember, there are still plenty of Americans NOT on the internet...
      Their stats are WAY juiced in their favor.

      Amazingly... the amount of misinformation is astronomical. The Mass Media guys (television and radio) use Nielsen Ratings. Yellow book uses someone else... I asked... are you the parent company for that ratings company?

      Did not get a straight answer....

      Why don't you use Nielsen Ratings?

      Did not get a straight answer.....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3324075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnhoefer
    I just saw this story on Yahoo.com.

    How to opt out of the Yellow Pages. How to stop getting the yellow pages on Shine

    I bet they didn't tell you about this!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3324680].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author traceface
    Amazing that they'd lie so blatantly when the real numbers are readily available!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3324958].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Doran Peck
      Originally Posted by traceface View Post

      Amazing that they'd lie so blatantly when the real numbers are readily available!
      They can because of a technicality. The 42% of people who use the phonebook, (notice that phonebook is not necessarily the YellowPages) and the 6% who use the Yellow Pages ( and really that isn't impressive at all considering that nearly 100% of local populations have these books in their posession) ...anyway....

      So..your a shop owner who has all this marketing going on...you've got your trucks all covered with your brand name, you've got some TV spots going...some Radio, Newspaper ads....and some decent strength going for you in word of mouth...overall your name and brand are fairly recognized maybe. So when people go looking for you they may already have an idea who they want.

      but when the "study" comes along and asks "How did you find this company?" ..."Oh...well...I looked it up in the YellowPages"

      The YP counts that and takes credit for it...even tho he was just using it to look up the phone number.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3326153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cma01
    I did a marketing seminar five years ago for small businesses. I asked what kind of return they were getting on certain types of marketing. Very few of them tracked it.

    One who did was an accountant. He said that he did get calls from phonebook ads, but for the most part they were tire kickers and very price sensitive. Even then, he was planning on cutting back his advertising spend in phone books because the quality of the leads just wasn't that great.

    I advertised in the yellow pages one year for my own business . . . never EVER again. I got the flakiest phone calls from that ad. I get my business from referrals, networking, and search. I don't even bother with anything else anymore.
    Signature
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    ~ Plato
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3329704].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
      Originally Posted by cma01 View Post

      I did a marketing seminar five years ago for small businesses. I asked what kind of return they were getting on certain types of marketing. Very few of them tracked it.

      One who did was an accountant. He said that he did get calls from phonebook ads, but for the most part they were tire kickers and very price sensitive. Even then, he was planning on cutting back his advertising spend in phone books because the quality of the leads just wasn't that great.

      I advertised in the yellow pages one year for my own business . . . never EVER again. I got the flakiest phone calls from that ad. I get my business from referrals, networking, and search. I don't even bother with anything else anymore.

      This has been my experience as well... Same with just about everyone I know in the service industry. Before opening my Media Consultant business, I owned a service business that provided in home services to high end residential clients.

      The phone book was the most ineffective form of advertising I could do. When I did get calls... they were price shoppers. My USP be was superior service, not price. So it was a waste of $1200 per month for an average of 5 phone calls per month that only one would lead to a new client.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3330184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author notionphil
    i think its closely tied into searcher demographic and advertiser niche. however, i know that personally, I don't even HAVE a phone book. As long as most bricks & mortar businesses are owned by people from prior generations (baby boomer+) there will be phone books....even if they aren't used.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3329918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author notionphil
    actually...now that i think about it, there is a certain irony in the yellow pages. It's the diametric opposition to web search. Its everything, in one big book, sorted solely by who is willing to pay for it. Web is about 'relevance'.... Then again, SEO and IM do make efforts to re-organize web search by other factors than 'relevance'.

    hmmm...

    the real question is....what's AFTER web search?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3329938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clickstrength
    I actually used to work in sales for a yellow page publisher (my very first job), and I knew the numbers we had were completely bogus then. Now, I can't even imagine how skewed their data has to be.

    When I worked for the YP company, I didn't use the phone book once... during my last week there, I started asking my colleagues how often they used them... nobody was anywhere near our reported usage stats. Probably not the best parting gift to the company to lift the veil from the eyes of all the salespeople in my office.
    Signature
    WSO: Get more AdSense Clicks with CTR Theme -- the WSO people are RAVING about
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3330234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vagabond 007
    A good friend of my family is high up at YellowBook. I saw a Facebook status update of hers about 2 weeks ago saying how she had a horrible day because most of her co-workers were laid off.

    I don't think the YP and YB will ever go away. They'll just move online like they have been doing. And most likely continue to rip off most businesses.
    Signature
    The Ultimate Sales & Marketing Mind Map (Just updated - now twice as big!) - scott_krech - "Quite possibly one of the BEST WSO's ever."

    www.UltimateMindMap.com


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3330393].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
      Originally Posted by Vagabond 007 View Post

      A good friend of my family is high up at YellowBook. I saw a Facebook status update of hers about 2 weeks ago saying how she had a horrible day because most of her co-workers were laid off.

      I don't think the YP and YB will ever go away. They'll just move online like they have been doing. And most likely continue to rip off most businesses.
      Which is exactly what there are doing....

      YellowBook is in negotiations now... To either be purchased by Microsoft or Google.


      Why? Becuase of the nationwide sales force. That's it... nothing else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3330413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cma01
    Speaking of YellowBook, I just got off the phone with a client who had a rep in his office trying to sell him book ad/web page/online listing.

    The rep was doing searches on her laptop and showing him that he was only #10 on page one, so he thought he had dropped.

    I asked him what exact keywords she used, because the ones he is actually optimized for, he still comes up #1 and #2. When he told me what he thought she had used, he came up #6 in my search.

    The rep was trying to leverage the sale by saying one of his closest competitors ranked above him. She must have been using customized search results, because that competitor doesn't even show up on the first two pages for any search that I do.

    The end result is that he is hiring me to expand some of the search terms he ranks for . . . Thanks Yellow Book
    Signature
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    ~ Plato
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3330948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cma01
    More Yellowbook B.S . . .

    I just got back from a chamber luncheon and a Yellowbook rep gave a short presentation. She said only 17% of buyers use the internet.

    It was just a flat out bald face lie, that I can't even believe she had the nerve to say it.

    I think she had a set YB presentation and then was trying to follow the outline without looking like a complete idiot because she was really bouncing around all over the place in what she was saying.

    But the numbers she was giving were so outrageous, I almost couldn't sit there and listen to it.
    Signature
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    ~ Plato
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3412356].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DaveyMars
      I thnk ssome of you are missing the point of YP advertising. For every business owner who still places his trust in YP being his main marketing source, that same guys is one of those people who gets his info from the YP.

      The fact is, there may be a place in a total marketing campaign for web, print, billboards, radio and even YP. The wider the net the bigger the catch. The trick, and the real value added service we can offer, is where to allocate the marketing dollars for best effect.

      Like most of you, I'm on the Internet all freakin day long, but I still listen to the radio and it still gets me to pick up the phone from an ad about once a month.
      Signature

      Not sellin' nuthin'

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3413653].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Amir Luis
      Originally Posted by cma01 View Post

      More Yellowbook B.S . . .

      I just got back from a chamber luncheon and a Yellowbook rep gave a short presentation. She said only 17% of buyers use the internet.

      It was just a flat out bald face lie, that I can't even believe she had the nerve to say it.

      I think she had a set YB presentation and then was trying to follow the outline without looking like a complete idiot because she was really bouncing around all over the place in what she was saying.

      But the numbers she was giving were so outrageous, I almost couldn't sit there and listen to it.

      I actually got into an argument with a really good friend over this....

      I basically broke down to him why YellowBook SUCKS...

      If you have more than one chiropractor in each city as a client... Who do you work harder for?

      You advertise being a "Partner with Google" but all you have to do is manage $10,000 in ad spend for 90 days... then take a couple of tests on compliance. So how do you honestly look a client in the eye and say that is your USP?
      (Unique Selling Proposition)

      WTF...

      All across the world livings have been made destroying yellowpage / yellowbook's lack of marketing skills... How are you going to tell your client that you can get them results knowing that you are selling virtual brochures?

      How do you sell using the numbers you use?

      They are bull****... for decades every Mass Media Company has been using Nielsen's Ratings... Now that you have your own rating company that goes completely against what has been proven by principle for decades, How do you sell that?

      By the time I was done... we almost went to blows.....

      He called me a couple of days later... and apologized.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3425231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author build
    Yellow pages are full of crap from our experience. Stay clear
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3421968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author I.M.Retired
    As posted earlier in the thread by retireonme:

    According to Bill Gates...
    The traditional Yellow Pages are doomed as voice-activated Internet searches combined with on-screen interfaces on smart mobile devices get better and more proliferate.
    You can read the full article here:

    Bill Gates on Yellow Pages Decline | Online and Traditional Media | Michigan Internet Marketing Company | Web Traffic Partners

    Another quote from a different author on the same website:

    In a recent impartial survey performed by our Internet marketing company, we polled over 200 people via email and in person interviews and asked them 5 simple questions:?

    1. Do you use the Yellow Pages to find local businesses? (6%-Yes, 94%-No)

    2. Do you use the Internet to find local businesses? (98%-Yes or 2%-No)

    3. What search engine do you use most? (91%-Google, 4%-Bing, 3%-Yahoo)

    4. Do you use the Internet on your cell phone? (84%-Yes)

    5. Your Age? (Ages ranged from 27-63)

    These numbers are mind blowing!

    You can read all the statistics you want but when you actually ask normal people and find out these numbers, it is staggering!

    Read Chris Thomas’ full article here:http://www.webtrafficpartners.com/ar...-internet.html
    I realize these articles are biased according to the intents and purposes of the owners of the website quoted above. On the other hand, they are pretty close to some informal results I have received when discussing matters with clients and colleagues.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3426432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WarriorWinky
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3426606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
      Even though the Yellow Pages don't work as well as they did in the past, they still work for a number of categories.

      These two ads (with phone numbers, etc changed) appeared in a seminar given at an industry conference last year. One ad received 1501 calls and the other 16,152 (I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one did better). One guy is screaming "the Yellow Pages don't work!" and the other is smiling and thinking "hey, it works great for me."



      Just don't go around "thinking" Yellow Pages sucks for all your potential clients. Look at his ad, compare it to the ads before and after his. Ask him if the ad is metered/call tracked. If it is, he's can tell you exactly how many calls he's getting. He's going to be a good client because he knows the importance of tracking the results of his advertising.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3428801].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tonydbaker
        Originally Posted by Mr. Subtle View Post

        These two ads (with phone numbers, etc changed) appeared in a seminar given at an industry conference last year. One ad received 1501 calls and the other 16,152 (I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one did better). One guy is screaming "the Yellow Pages don't work!" and the other is smiling and thinking "hey, it works great for me."
        Sure, this is easy to figure out.

        The one who said they're getting 16,152 calls is simply LYING.

        They would have to be getting over 50 calls a day (every day), six days a week.

        That's one call every 12 minutes for 10 hours a day.

        Oh, and every single one of those calls would have to only be from the Yellow Page ad.

        Does this ad up for you? Have you ever seen a small local florist getting 50 calls a day other than during Mother's day and Valentine's day seasons?

        If this was true... I'd quit Internet Marketing today and start a local flower shop.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3429575].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mr. Subtle
          Originally Posted by tonydbaker View Post

          The one who said they're getting 16,152 calls is simply LYING.
          The numbers came from a call tracking service and an independent metered ad study.

          From a YP metered ad study serveral years ago:

          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3429690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cma01
    Here's the thing, I agree that the YP may have value for certain business; however, if they do . . .

    They should be marketing based on the truth

    Not telling flat out lies.

    They shouldn't be pretending to be business owners and post on blogs lying about their success with YB.

    They shouldn't be trying to pull one over on business owners by showing them ranking results when they have custom search results turned on.

    And they shouldn't be telling such flagrant whoppers about buyer usage that even a clueless idiot has to know that what they are saying isn't true.

    If what they offer has value, then FOCUS ON THE VALUE and QUIT TRYING TO SCAM PEOPLE.
    Signature
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
    ~ Plato
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3431002].message }}

Trending Topics